Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread

+21
bayth
Lottie2303
Divalicious
brisallie
Ireth
Delight
valkeakuulas
sheny
Glorfindel
coxfire
arina
ColferGirl
MoviesAreLife
M&M
fantastica
opals
Ranwing
ColferInspired
ChrisColferFan1
Jellyrolls
tanita_mors
25 posters

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap50%4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 50% 
[ 11 ]
4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap18%4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 4 ]
4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap5%4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 5% 
[ 1 ]
4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap27%4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 27% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 22

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Jellyrolls 3/8/2013, 5:03 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote:Anyone outside of the Blarren stans can tell just from looking at episodes with solid NY time like last night, Diva, Swan Song, and Sadie Hawkins to see that the quaility of the acting and dare I say the writing is far superior on the NY side. Despite the miniscule Kurt in Naked, even that should the superiority of the NY side of the show.

I don't know why Fox doesn't put a stop to this nonsense with RIB and make them switch focus to NY, especially with Naya and the potential for Adam in the mix.

Also, I have to say that watching Lea in episodes like last night and Naked, she is a much better actress than lots of people give her credit for. When she's not bogged down with weak actors like Dean, or poor writing on the Finchel drama, and she is instead giving good material and actors to work with, she is a very solid actress. She doesn't capture the emotions quite as good as Chris, and she doesn't bring the best out of others the way Chris manages to, but she can definitely hold her own when she is working opposite quailty actors with decent material. It's a pity that they don't use her and Chris to the best of their abilities.

Last night was a reminder as to why it makes me sad and angry that we didn't get the spinoff.

I've always liked Lea and thought she was a fantastic actress. I think that most of the Glee fans would agree that she's one of the strongest actors among the "kid" cast...along with Chris, Naya and Corey.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like Lea a lot, but I think she takes some unwarrarnted criticism sometimes. I just think she's at her best when she's working opposite other quality actors.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  brisallie 3/8/2013, 5:12 pm

I think some people believe Lea has only one side when's about acting and that's bossy and egocentrical Rachel, which I think she does perfectly. But last night she proved she is able to show a more vulnerable Rachel.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 3/8/2013, 5:25 pm

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/8/2013, 5:29 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote:Anyone outside of the Blarren stans can tell just from looking at episodes with solid NY time like last night, Diva, Swan Song, and Sadie Hawkins to see that the quaility of the acting and dare I say the writing is far superior on the NY side. Despite the miniscule Kurt in Naked, even that should the superiority of the NY side of the show.

I don't know why Fox doesn't put a stop to this nonsense with RIB and make them switch focus to NY, especially with Naya and the potential for Adam in the mix.

Also, I have to say that watching Lea in episodes like last night and Naked, she is a much better actress than lots of people give her credit for. When she's not bogged down with weak actors like Dean, or poor writing on the Finchel drama, and she is instead giving good material and actors to work with, she is a very solid actress. She doesn't capture the emotions quite as good as Chris, and she doesn't bring the best out of others the way Chris manages to, but she can definitely hold her own when she is working opposite quailty actors with decent material. It's a pity that they don't use her and Chris to the best of their abilities.

Last night was a reminder as to why it makes me sad and angry that we didn't get the spinoff.

I've always liked Lea and thought she was a fantastic actress. I think that most of the Glee fans would agree that she's one of the strongest actors among the "kid" cast...along with Chris, Naya and Corey.

Don't get me wrong. I actually like Lea a lot, but I think she takes some unwarrarnted criticism sometimes. I just think she's at her best when she's working opposite other quality actors.

Lea is the best female actress in Glee. Still, I really loathe Rachel as character and would hope she'd get more storylines without any boytrouble. I cannot stand Finchel and they just don't make sense anymore whatsoever.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/8/2013, 5:30 pm

brisallie wrote:I think some people believe Lea has only one side when's about acting and that's bossy and egocentrical Rachel, which I think she does perfectly. But last night she proved she is able to show a more vulnerable Rachel.

Exactly.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/8/2013, 7:03 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

Lea is the best female actress in Glee. Still, I really loathe Rachel as character and would hope she'd get more storylines without any boytrouble. I cannot stand Finchel and they just don't make sense anymore whatsoever.

I would add Naya to that list as a very close second. I loathe Santana as a character normally, but I do think Naya is a good actress. And I agree with you so much about Finchel! God, I hate them! How can anyone ever want any of the canon couples back? They are all just dreadful...the only canon couple I am okay with getting back together would be Tike. But I'm with you: I'm sick of Rachel being defined by the men she dates.

The footloose choreography was so adorable! The fancy footwork while sitting down! So creative! Smile

I don't know why Chris likes CWM so much. I think that song is boring as heck. Oh well. To each their own. tonguue

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 3/8/2013, 8:20 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:I watched half the epsiode, my laptop crashed and I had to get to work. I hated the MK part. I really, really hated it. Shoot was such a strange performance. My face basically was just 'WTF??!. Thus, I just downloaded the Kurt edit and read some recaps. I've seen everything I needed to see.

After last night, I am a recovered Klainer. Bring Adam back, let him be with Kurt and PLEASE add the Apples again. I want them to be explored. CWM was a just a huge cheesefest... as a Klainer, as a Kurt fan, as a CWM fan - that scene was bad! The flashbacks were such poor editing. It was a shame. Urgh, overall far too many songs. Another reasons why I did not need to see anymore scenes.

Chris, Naya, Lea and Oliver were superior actors last night, once again. Oliver formed a character for a very minor part and has more presence then most of the newbies combined. Chris and Naya were comedy gold and please let them be Frenemies on the show. Lea was good too, even though I don't care for Rachel and Brody.

That conversation at the end was flawless. Of course Klaine will be back together, it is Glee after all, but I hope they will give Kadam a chance. Especially because Chris is very vocal about Oliver. I hope he'll force the writers to abandon this ridiculous notion of endgame and show some reality: you most likely will fall in and out of love a few times in your life!

Overall, move the damn show to NYC. Writers and Fox, how can you not see and accept the superior side of the show in front of you? Why are you so hang up on new characters??! I really do not understand their reasoning. However, the NYC side received a lot of positive reviews so I hope some important suits are listening!
I have read stacks of comments on these reviews and nearly all of them as saying to get rid of McKinley and have the show New York only with Kurt, Rachel, Santana and Adam.
There is so much love for Adam right now that it is outwaying the love for Blaine which I found incredible just by the comments I have seen. They can see the difference in acting with Oliver compared to Darren and are complaining about Darren's bad acting and singing all the time.
The newbies are boring and the fans are now voicing it.
And the Blarren stans on GleeOnFox Facebook don't realise that them praising CWM they are asking for more Kurt, which I think is a good thing, but we should tell them that we want Kadam and New York.
So if anyone has a Facebook account can you please praise these parts of the episode, and say how much you hate McKinley if you hate. I am just about to make a few comments on their page myself.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/8/2013, 11:46 pm

did anybody notice how much taller kurt is next to blaine when they slow danced in CWM at the end? SO MUCH TALLER! either chris grew or dc shrunk. Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 3/9/2013, 12:17 am

Or they told Darren not to dance up on his toes!
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/9/2013, 12:53 am

It looks like Chris is at least 4 inches taller than Darren! It's a little awkward! whis

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/9/2013, 1:10 am

or blaine wasn't wearing high heels. Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 3/9/2013, 5:10 am

I really liked the new episode. Come What May was definitely my favorite part. wub I almost cried when it showed the flashbacks. crycry
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/9/2013, 5:16 am

ColferInspired wrote:
I have read stacks of comments on these reviews and nearly all of them as saying to get rid of McKinley and have the show New York only with Kurt, Rachel, Santana and Adam.
There is so much love for Adam right now that it is outwaying the love for Blaine which I found incredible just by the comments I have seen. They can see the difference in acting with Oliver compared to Darren and are complaining about Darren's bad acting and singing all the time.
The newbies are boring and the fans are now voicing it.
And the Blarren stans on GleeOnFox Facebook don't realise that them praising CWM they are asking for more Kurt, which I think is a good thing, but we should tell them that we want Kadam and New York.
So if anyone has a Facebook account can you please praise these parts of the episode, and say how much you hate McKinley if you hate. I am just about to make a few comments on their page myself.

I sent Oliver some love via facebook. I also commented on GleeoFox that I loved Kadam and that CWM was a solo. I think I did it in a nice way, but I'll guess I might receive hate soon...

What I don't understand is that they are not even willing to try to change the endgame couples. It is obvious that RIB doesn't like Britannia (and they have every right to dislike, because the two of them don't make any sense at all. I really hope we'll get a new kickass gf for Santana soon). Last episode has been proven me, with a great actor and a decent storyline, you can change the perception of people. I like Klaine, I still do, but I am willing to move on. I love Kurt and I want to see him explored. It would be so interesting to see the differences (good and bad) between him being with different partners. Chris Colfer is such a great actor, they could utilize him so much more.

I guess one of the differences between Finchel and Klaine/Britannia is actually the actors support. Lea absolutely loves Finchel so they will happen again. Even though they don't make any sense. Heather seems bored with Britannia and wants to move on with male cast mates (aka Sam). Chris in particular must be pushing for more Kadam. I totally see him working extra hard to make Kadam work. He already acted some scenes differently then intended. The Christmas episode was all about a sweet reunion between two ex-boyfriend. I am so convinced Chris read the script and basically thought 'I am supposed to sing a nice, cheery song with my cheating ex-boyfriend, with whom I still haven't talked properly after my father told me he has cancer?! Not going to happen!". I love that about Chris in particular!

Lets see what happens. There has been a great positive response and of course there also has been backlash. A) That means there doing the story right, because diehard Klainers get scared; B) Glee, tell your damn story and don't always tender for the audience. Make them change your mind. Written words and great acting can convince the biggest haters to be wrong!
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 3/9/2013, 6:24 am

I have read several times that people thought Chris acted scene differenly than intented but I find it kinda weird because I doubt the director would let him act against his wishes... writers, directors have certain images how the characters feel in the particular scene and I think the actors have to follow the directions and cannot make their characters behave differently than they are supposed to.... if the actors could decide how characters are supposed to feel it would not make sense in following happenings... although I know on Glee it does not make sense either way.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/9/2013, 6:47 am

arina wrote:I have read several times that people thought Chris acted scene differenly than intented but I find it kinda weird because I doubt the director would let him act against his wishes... writers, directors have certain images how the characters feel in the particular scene and I think the actors have to follow the directions and cannot make their characters behave differently than they are supposed to.... if the actors could decide how characters are supposed to feel it would not make sense in following happenings... although I know on Glee it does not make sense either way.

I've read the script of TFT and the way Kurt was written was vastly different how Chris portrayed him. So, I totally believe he also changed Glee, Actually.

Lets not forget, despite all the snarking and lack of storyline in Season 4, Chris has immense power within the world of Glee. I totally believe he would and could change the intention of the script entirely. I also believe they would let him, as long as he has good reasoning (which he totally had in GA). Furthermore, his story suggestions (unintended and intentional) were praised and acknowledged by critics and fans aside (Defying Gravity, Prom Queen).
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 3/9/2013, 7:26 am

I did not read the script so I don't know about that, I definitely loved most of Chris's song suggestions and the change in the Prom Queen script but the fact if Kurt should acts comfortable around Blaine or not in the Christmas episode makes a big difference... I loved Kurt being kinda tense around Blaine at Glee actually (and it made total sense) but if he were more comfortable at that time, his action in "I do" episode would make at least little more sense... So if it was Chris's idea they should either tell him to play it the way it intented or if they liked the idea of Kurt being kinda uncomfortable they should take this as a canon and continue with "this Kurt".... If the writers write something and take that as a canon while the actors portray something totally different it causes big mess imo. I am really confused with Kurt lately and definitely hope this is not the problem... I still cannot imagine Chris having such a big power, if he makes suggestion and director likes it then yes but I still doubt he has that big influence many people thinks he does.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 3/9/2013, 9:02 am

I think Chris' influence goes so far that he can suggest an acting interpretation to the director. I don't think he has much influence on the scripts, except for little changes like in the Prom Queen episode or 'Being Alive', and they grant that to him because they see the merit in his suggestions.
Same with his acting choices. Chris can make them, but they still need the approval of the director of that episode, or else Chris will just have to do what the director wants and thinks the script calls for. Once Chris gets the approval, then it's part of the creating process and the script/episode changes with it.

Now of course Chris would never get that approval if he goes against all the writer and director of that particular episode intends the narrative to be. Chris just adds layers, layers to Kurt and to storylines he's involved in. And that's why Kurt is such a compelling, although complicated character.
Now if the other actors don't do that, that's their loss. And it's very visible which ones of the actors actually think about the continuity and feelings of their characters, as these are the characters we still resonate with even when they are written horribly: Kurt, Finn (and he got the worst writing), Rachel (we may not love her always, but we understand her), Sue (we love to hate), and there are some others in the grey area as well, like Will, Santana and Artie.

As for how Chris' acting choices does affect the narrative when viewed over several episodes: that's not Chris's fault, but the writers. If they had written all the episodes (or e.g. half the episodes) before shooting them, and if the actors had knowledge of where their characters will be 3 episodes down the road, then the actors could act their feelings accordingly in scenes that are not clear/evident by the writing/dialogue alone. But we all know that the actors know almost nothing what lies ahead, and the scripts leave a lot open for interpretation. It's not their fault they are trying to make the best of it and try to induce some logic into how their character is reacting in WTF scenes.
Same goes for the directors, btw. I don't think directors of individual episodes know a lot of what is to come next or happens in a future episode. So they all are steering blindfolded through the mist.

It is up to the writers to stay close to the scripts they write themselves, to instruct the directors and actors (and editing), and to watch the end product, so they can adapt the continuity and canon that must have changed during the processs of writing, filming and editing a certain episode, for future episodes reference accordingly.
But to me it seems that the writers hardly know what the other writers are doing; at this point I don't even think they watch the other writers' episodes! There is no big plan, no lay-out as a basis to write from. And when they get to write an episode they tend to push their own agendas, and let the characters act and react in the way they envision them in their individual heads, their own private mould for each one of them, instead of looking at the overal characterisation established in canon.

A good example is the episode we all choke upon when it comes to Kurt: 'I Do'. That episode was written (by Ian Brennan, the wackiest OOC writer of them all) well after 'Glee Actually' which intent was probably changed by Chris' acting choices (which were approved by TPTB and aired: thereofe it's canon).
Most of us think that Kurt was OOC in 'I Do' by casually hooking up with Blaine. Especially when only 1 episode later he clearly still has feelings for him (and no: I don't buy that Kurt was in denial in 'I Do': he was acting too carefree for that, imo). A lot of people noticed this, so the writers, Ian and Brad (who directed) in particular, should have noticed too. But they didn't care, because they wanted a Sweeps Valentine's Day episode with big shockers and OTP kisses.

And then, ironically, there was another hiatus, and we come back to the old Kurt we know, the Kurt who has complex feelings about his ex and his new lover. At least the writer of 'Girls and Boys on Film' had an incling of who Kurt is and how he feels after TBU and 'Glee Actually'.
And although it was a hiatus for us viewers, it wasn't for the Glee crew, so Michael Hitchcock (the writer of this ep) could not have seen the end result (the actual episode) of 'I Do' before 'Girls and Boys on Film' was filmed. All he knew was that Kurt hooked up with Blaine at the wedding, and I doubt he knew more at that time. He certainly could not have anticipated the carefree and the Kurt's POV-non existent way 'I Do' was filmed. That episode was almost a slapstick the way everyone behaved in it.
I still believe even Chris didn't know how to act Kurt in 'I Do'. And don't forget how confused (and frustrated?) Chris was when he promoted (K)Adam and then "Ryan tweets something else"!

So far Chris managed to keep Kurt as a character together, despite the horrible writing. But I strongly believe that the reason why Kurt's 'I Do' doesn't fit neatly into Kurt's character consistency (although you can still make it work with a big doses of headcanon) is the horrible disjointed way Glee is being made. At this point I wouldn't even call it a creating process, but just an accidental chemical reaction when throwing all kinds of stuff from unlabeled vials into a cauldron. The strongest chemical compound in that mix being the original cast.

(Oops, long post. blushh)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 3/9/2013, 9:22 am

Glorfindel wrote:
As for how Chris' acting choices does affect the narrative when viewed over several episodes: that's not Chris's fault, but the writers. If they had written all the episodes (or e.g. half the episodes) before shooting them, and if the actors had knowledge of where their characters will be 3 episodes down the road, then the actors could act their feelings accordingly in scenes that are not clear/evident by the writing/dialogue alone. But we all know that the actors know almost nothing what lies ahead, and the scripts leave a lot open for interpretation. It's not their fault they are trying to make the best of it and try to induce some logic into how their character is reacting in WTF scenes.
Same goes for the directors, btw. I don't think directors of individual episodes know a lot of what is to come next or happens in a future episode. So they all are steering blindfolded through the mist.

thumnup Mind twin! Thanks, Glorfindel, for nicely elaborating a point that I was struggling to find the words for.

I also think Chris had struggled to make the Kurt in 'I Do' make sense, because his behaviour seemed so disjointed from what he had been like in the previous episodes. With this latest episode, I can kind of understand why the writers forced the wedding hookup on Kurt (for reasons other than fan pandering). It was meant to inject some conflict into Kurt's budding relationship with Adam.

Lottie2303 wrote:
I sent Oliver some love via facebook. I also commented on GleeoFox that I loved Kadam and that CWM was a solo. I think I did it in a nice way, but I'll guess I might receive hate soon...

Don't let the bullies drag you down. Be strong neutre

Lottie2303 wrote:What I don't understand is that they are not even willing to try to change the endgame couples. It is obvious that RIB doesn't like Britannia (and they have every right to dislike, because the two of them don't make any sense at all. I really hope we'll get a new kickass gf for Santana soon). Last episode has been proven me, with a great actor and a decent storyline, you can change the perception of people. I like Klaine, I still do, but I am willing to move on. I love Kurt and I want to see him explored. It would be so interesting to see the differences (good and bad) between him being with different partners. Chris Colfer is such a great actor, they could utilize him so much more.

I don't believe the actors/actresses have much say in who they end up with romantically on the show. Even when Chris was asking people to give Adam a chance, I got the impression that it was something that he was being encouraged-- or at least given permission-- to say (Because Chris had been quite surprised when RM started tweeting those pro-Klaine tweets at roughly the same time).

I agree that Kurt should be allowed to explore romantic relationships outside of Klaine. Klaine had been quite limiting for Chris/Kurt for quite a while now and the Glee writers hadn't displayed much ability to write decent interactions between these two boys, so I don't understand why there's still this need to push this 'endgame couple' business. It stifles any new relationship possibilities that Kurt can have.

P.S. @Jellyrolls, I like the Kadam gif in your signature.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/9/2013, 9:51 am

Oh, I am more then aware that Klaine is still endgame and Adam is all but a rebound. In case they actually write the Klaine relationship properly and give Chris material to work with, then I will also be happy. However, I just wanted to state if any of the actor will try to actively push against the endgame notion, I predict it to be most likely Chris. Lets see how much that all will develop. The GA seems to like Adam so far. A lot of discussion on other blogs is after all about Adam/Kurt/Blaine and its not all senseless shipping wars.

I also know that the actors have not that much control over the script. All I am saying, if given the chance, Chris actually tends to add his own layers and therefore gives scenes more depth. Also, when allowed by the director and producers, he changes the tone of the script. I'll stand by the idea that Chris decided that Kurt would be apprehensive towards Blaine in the Christmas episode fanny2 .Sometimes he just has to accept stupid storylines (i.e. Michael. Funnily enough the media and fans once again agreed with Chris statement, that Kurt's decision was ridiculous and didn't make any sense), other times he is persuasive enough and gets some changes. Nonetheless, he is one of the very few of the cast members who actually does interfere or complains to the media, in order to give his character intact. Not long ago he complained about Kurts missing snark. The last episodes have been gloriously filled with some snarky Kurt neutre .
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  glimmerle 3/9/2013, 10:03 am

Glorfindel wrote:I think Chris' influence goes so far that he can suggest an acting interpretation to the director. I don't think he has much influence on the scripts, except for little changes like in the Prom Queen episode or 'Being Alive', and they grant that to him because they see the merit in his suggestions.
Same with his acting choices. Chris can make them, but they still need the approval of the director of that episode, or else Chris will just have to do what the director wants and thinks the script calls for. Once Chris gets the approval, then it's part of the creating process and the script/episode changes with it.

Now of course Chris would never get that approval if he goes against all the writer and director of that particular episode intends the narrative to be. Chris just adds layers, layers to Kurt and to storylines he's involved in. And that's why Kurt is such a compelling, although complicated character.
Now if the other actors don't do that, that's their loss. And it's very visible which ones of the actors actually think about the continuity and feelings of their characters, as these are the characters we still resonate with even when they are written horribly: Kurt, Finn (and he got the worst writing), Rachel (we may not love her always, but we understand her), Sue (we love to hate), and there are some others in the grey area as well, like Will, Santana and Artie.

It is up to the writers to stay close to the scripts they write themselves, to instruct the directors and actors (and editing), and to watch the end product, so they can adapt the continuity and canon that must have changed during the processs of writing, filming and editing a certain episode, for future episodes reference accordingly.
But to me it seems that the writers hardly know what the other writers are doing; at this point I don't even think they watch the other writers' episodes! There is no big plan, no lay-out as a basis to write from. And when they get to write an episode they tend to push their own agendas, and let the characters act and react in the way they envision them in their individual heads, their own private mould for each one of them, instead of looking at the overal characterisation established in canon.

A good example is the episode we all choke upon when it comes to Kurt: 'I Do'. That episode was written (by Ian Brennan, the wackiest OOC writer of them all) well after 'Glee Actually' which intent was probably changed by Chris' acting choices (which were approved by TPTB and aired: thereofe it's canon).
Most of us think that Kurt was OOC in 'I Do' by casually hooking up with Blaine. Especially when only 1 episode later he clearly still has feelings for him (and no: I don't buy that Kurt was in denial in 'I Do': he was acting too carefree for that, imo). A lot of people noticed this, so the writers, Ian and Brad (who directed) in particular, should have noticed too. But they didn't care, because they wanted a Sweeps Valentine's Day episode with big shockers and OTP kisses.

And then, ironically, there was another hiatus, and we come back to the old Kurt we know, the Kurt who has complex feelings about his ex and his new lover. At least the writer of 'Girls and Boys on Film' had an incling of who Kurt is and how he feels after TBU and 'Glee Actually'.
And although it was a hiatus for us viewers, it wasn't for the Glee crew, so Michael Hitchcock (the writer of this ep) could not have seen the end result (the actual episode) of 'I Do' before 'Girls and Boys on Film' was filmed. All he knew was that Kurt hooked up with Blaine at the wedding, and I doubt he knew more at that time. He certainly could not have anticipated the carefree and the Kurt's POV-non existent way 'I Do' was filmed. That episode was almost a slapstick the way everyone behaved in it.
I still believe even Chris didn't know how to act Kurt in 'I Do'. And don't forget how confused (and frustrated?) Chris was when he promoted (K)Adam and then "Ryan tweets something else"!

So far Chris managed to keep Kurt as a character together, despite the horrible writing. But I strongly believe that the reason why Kurt's 'I Do' doesn't fit neatly into Kurt's character consistency (although you can still make it work with a big doses of headcanon) is the horrible disjointed way Glee is being made. At this point I wouldn't even call it a creating process, but just an accidental chemical reaction when throwing all kinds of stuff from unlabeled vials into a cauldron. The strongest chemical compound in that mix being the original cast.

(Oops, long post. blushh)
I actually sat down to write a long-winded post about exactly what you put into words much better here, so thank you and I agree with everything.

Lottie2303 wrote:Oh, I am more then aware that Klaine is still endgame and Adam is all but a rebound. In case they actually write the Klaine relationship properly and give Chris material to work with, then I will also be happy. However, I just wanted to state if any of the actor will try to actively push against the endgame notion, I predict it to be most likely Chris.
Call me blissfully unaware then, but as of last episode, Adam isn't a rebound but Kurt's current canon-boyfirend. Yes, I actually dare to delude myself that it isn't set in stone yet (remember when Blaine was a 3-episode-guest character?) and I'll never be happy with a Klaine-relationship, no matter how good the writing, because they screwed it up too much in the past for me to ever be tolerable again. I agree with Chris pushing agains the endgame notion, though. He has a whole lot of reasons not to be a Klainer, so I can't really begrudge him for trying to put any possibility he gets to free Kurt and himself from that stiffling relationship to good use. Just my 2 cents as a non-shipper.
glimmerle
glimmerle
Llama
Llama

http://glimmerle.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 3/9/2013, 10:19 am

^ fanny2
Now if I had only written down the bolded lines my post wouldn't have been so long-winded. ooppss

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjckkl9xqw1qgs4sno2_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjckkl9xqw1qgs4sno6_250

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjckkl9xqw1qgs4sno5_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjckkl9xqw1qgs4sno8_250
x

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd1sbNBIv1qfog7so1_500

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcsayau561s4in85o1_500

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo2_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo4_r1_250

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo6_r1_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo3_r1_250

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo1_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo5_r1_250
x

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd31joyAo1s7kyofo2_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd31joyAo1s7kyofo1_250
x

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o1_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o2_250

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o3_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o4_250

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o5_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o6_250

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o7_250 4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjcazsFvXY1qzg8x9o8_250
x

Last edited by Glorfindel on 3/9/2013, 10:26 am; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/9/2013, 10:22 am

You know, not for anything, but if they go to an all NY thing next year, and we see more Adam, maybe just maybe the "Klaine is endgame" thing will die. I'm not even saying that Kadam needs to be endgame. Honestly, I even think Kurt as strong and confident as an individual in between relationships is a more powerful endgame for Kurt than Klaine.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/9/2013, 10:31 am

Jellyrolls wrote:You know, not for anything, but if they go to an all NY thing next year, and we see more Adam, maybe just maybe the "Klaine is endgame" thing will die. I'm not even saying that Kadam needs to be endgame. Honestly, I even think Kurt as strong and confident as an individual in between relationships is a more powerful endgame for Kurt than Klaine.

banzai

(I actually still want to see him speed dating. Oh the comedy!)
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/9/2013, 10:33 am

glimmerle wrote:Call me blissfully unaware then, but as of last episode, Adam isn't a rebound but Kurt's current canon-boyfirend. Yes, I actually dare to delude myself that it isn't set in stone yet (remember when Blaine was a 3-episode-guest character?) and I'll never be happy with a Klaine-relationship, no matter how good the writing, because they screwed it up too much in the past for me to ever be tolerable again. I agree with Chris pushing agains the endgame notion, though. He has a whole lot of reasons not to be a Klainer, so I can't really begrudge him for trying to put any possibility he gets to free Kurt and himself from that stiffling relationship to good use. Just my 2 cents as a non-shipper.

Oh, I am Team 'Kurt Happiness' and all open for Kurt/Adam to have a great relationship. But this is still Glee we are talking about! dryy
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/9/2013, 10:46 am

I just pulled this from one of the gif sets Marie posted above. Now these are two expressive and natural actors.

4x15 "Girls (and Boys) On Film" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mjd3vx12wZ1qgrxsfo6_r1_250
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next