Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6

+32
ladydianab
BlueJazz
bayth
sjonnepon
Dame Loli
emilynna
MissSoniaPP
brisallie
sheny
coxfire
opals
glimmerle
arina
valkeakuulas
CloveGlee
Ireth
Delight
tanita_mors
Glorfindel
Catt24
Divalicious
ColferGirl
sahhar
M&M
Ranwing
zuppid
fantastica
Buenos
ChrisColferFan1
ColferInspired
MoviesAreLife
Jellyrolls
36 posters

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 18 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6

Post  coxfire 2/22/2013, 7:19 am

And honestly: I sometimes believe that RIB still don't have a clue this even happened (although Brad seems to be somewhat aware with his Adam/plie compliment scene).
I honestly don't think that any of them realized what they were doing with the characters, and particularly Blaine. They never took the time to develop him and characterize him, they used him as a juke-box and relied on his looks and fanbase to make the character work.
We had a small idea that they might realize it in DWS when Kurt express the difficulties to be Blaine's boyfriend, but they swept it under the rug completely, instead on capitalizing on the potential of a different kind of story. It would heve been great indeed to explore the differences that exist in the gay community and how homophobia and effeminophobia are dissociated and perceived.
Now this year, I don't see any progress in Blaine's characterization. He is still the same dapper boy who pleases everyone, and the only hardship he went through was the consequences of hi break-up, with no real self actualization, contrary to some claim out there. Post break-up, Blaine just expressed that he felt like Kurt move on and consequently cheated. Why he decided that this was the best idea ever instead of 1) Breaking-up or 2) Try to tell Kurt how he felt and try to improve the current status of the LDR, this wasn't broached at all.
Regarding how he changed post break-up, there was nothing significant there: he made friends with Tina and Sam, and that's it basically. I don't see any arc for the character, forgiving yourself for being human but not doing any self-actualization about it is pointless. Case in point: the way he told Kurt "tell me now that we are not getting back together" => his needeness and clinging to Kurt is still intact. He didn't say "So, does this mean we might get back together"? No, he made the affirmation that he and Kurt were back together, when Kurt basically told him "don't get your hopes high too fast, I enjoyed having sex with you but do not consider you as boyfriend material just yet".
Finally, I do believe that there is a double standard regarding Blaine and his cheating. Previously in Glee, most cheaters (Quinn, Rachel, Finn) were called out and blamed by their SO, but also the other characters around. I didn't see anyone coming to Quinn in S1 and called her "just human", or after she cheated on Sam with Finn. Rachel was slut-shamed for only filming a cheesy clip with 3 different boys, etc. Blaine got Sam telling him he was a good guy, Finn and Artie praising him as glee club's messiah (is that the english word?), Burt bringing him to Kurt at Christmas, and Tina lauding him as Me Perfect (and soon Sue fawning over his ass). the only character who had been proped that much was Rachel end of S3 and most people were pissed by the "Special snowflake treatment" she received, whereas Blaine's apparent perfection and ass-kissing doesn't phase anyone.
This is why Blaine still fail to appeal to me as a character: he is still bland, with no imperfections (well, not pointed out by the show at least, since I see plenty), but no-one dares to point them out. For instance: his rendition of Don't stop me now: as much as Darren is a good singer (i do think he is a good singer), this performance was completely falt, and his voice didn't have the required power/energy to carry the song. However, I could read left and right that he was "above everyone else", "rocking the song", etc. I know miles vary, but a bit of objectivity would be welcome sometimes. I personnaly recognize that not all Kurt songs pleased me or worked for me (Big girls don't cry or I'll remember for instance), this doesn't mean I like the character less, just that sometimes some songs are not made for you. I'd like some people to sometimes be honest and recognize that Darren/Blaine is a bit generic, and can't sing everything.
Now, the balance could be restored next season (because, unfortunately, Klaine will reunite, I have no illusions) in the NY context, since Kurt has now more confidence and more connections, and NYADA might not consider Blaine as fantastic a performer as he is considered now. If they bring him there, they have to put some flaws in him, make him fail, and acknowledge them on screen to make him interesting otherwise he'll still be an epic fail as an inspirational character. And since he's supposed to be tied to Kurt, if I have to bear him, he might as well be interesting.
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 18 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6

Post  Glorfindel 2/22/2013, 8:09 am

coxfire wrote:
And honestly: I sometimes believe that RIB still don't have a clue this even happened (although Brad seems to be somewhat aware with his Adam/plie compliment scene).
I honestly don't think that any of them realized what they were doing with the characters, and particularly Blaine. They never took the time to develop him and characterize him, they used him as a juke-box and relied on his looks and fanbase to make the character work.
We had a small idea that they might realize it in DWS when Kurt express the difficulties to be Blaine's boyfriend, but they swept it under the rug completely, instead on capitalizing on the potential of a different kind of story. It would heve been great indeed to explore the differences that exist in the gay community and how homophobia and effeminophobia are dissociated and perceived.
I forgot: they did recognize it earlier, made a meta comment about it and then did nothing to change things, or even let it influence the narrative. :angry:
It's the usual of RIB wanting the cake and eat it to: they wanted Blaine to remain perfect and Kurt suffering, but they also saw the complaints and comments about the imbalance in the Klaine dynamic in the fandom and wanted to let the fans know that they heard them.

Maybe pretending that RIB are not aware of things is better for my bloodpressure than acknowledging that they are very aware of it, but just don't give a damn. Evil or Very Mad
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/22/2013, 12:20 pm

I came to a realization today:

I've realized for a while that it is the behavior of the Blarren stans that has in large part made me start to dislike Darren.

And it is the behavior of those same stans that has in part lead me to be so supportive and encouraging of Adam and Oliver (though I do truly think Oliver is a very good actor, and does an excellent job of conveying emotion). Oliver is truly an underdog here, and I'm rooting for him.

Just once, RIB needs to grow some balls and stop giving these immature cyber bullies their way.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 2/22/2013, 12:39 pm

^
That's a good point Karen. Sometimes fans can ruin everything with their selfish attitude, and is exactly what blarrenstans are doing. Actually that's why I understand the jokes of "blee", because it seems they want this show to be all about him and no one else, or at least about Klaine, but only because the half of Klaine is their "obssesion".
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/22/2013, 2:49 pm

Call me crazy, but I actually enjoyed Darren's "Don't Stop Me Now" performance. He is a very charismatic performer. Smile

You know, that's an interesting thought....about Kurt's self esteem issues, I mean. It's true that "passing gays" ("butch" gay guys and "femme" lesbians) are given a pass in society, whereas femme gay guys and butch lesbians are given a hard time, not only by straight society, but even within their own LGBT communities (I feel there is a lot of self hate going on there). So it makes sense that Kurt would have self esteem issues, as his and Blaine's coming out experiences were, on a whole, very different. Yes, Blaine was beaten up at his old school...but I think that all of his wins and fanboys/fangirls since then make up for it. What has Kurt gotten in order to make up for his hard past? Even more hardship with the rare win here and there. And honestly, I don't even think that Blaine "passes" that well anymore. In season two when they had him as the older, confident mentor in the Dalton uniform...yes. But now? With his immature, whiny, clingy, needy ways? With his obnoxious clothes? With the obvious height difference and build difference (between Kurt and Blaine) now impossible to hide? Not so much. I swear, I think that Darren is also purposely attempting to play Blaine as "more gay" and flamboyant, rather than more lowkey like in season two. I wonder why that is?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 2/22/2013, 7:09 pm

I think the problem is the show created imbalances in the dynamics between Kurt and Blaine and can't/won't address them because it's their type for each character. There were other problems in season 2 but at Dalton it was such a fantasy school that it didn't matter and Kurt back in McKinely on his own was revealed that he was still being mocked. (Prom Queen)

But both in McKinley mad it worse because KUrt was shown as being still suffering for being an effeminate gay but Blaine was accepted with open arms and his being gay was irrelevant.

So putting them together emphasized the discrepancy even more.

This year Kurt is in NY and for the first time in 4 years, he is not defined by being gay or even being an effeminate gay....(the funny thing about Kurt is that alot of time he's not actually that effeminate in his mannerisms )

It's different for the character now.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/22/2013, 8:00 pm

It's true that NYC has been kinder to Kurt and, for once, he's not being shunned or defined as being a "femme gay"...he's just Kurt. Smile

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/22/2013, 11:02 pm

tanita_mors wrote:the whole of bliane's characterization is that he is a teenage dream. every single time they tried to give him flaws, it would cause such a negative response in his fans and the media that they would pretend that those flaws were never there or would minimize them completely. i still fail to see how someone in their right mind can actually equate having sex with another guy while in a relationship with more or less one-sided fluting over texts on another. and yet, they do and can't wait for this unhealthy relationship to continue.

maybe because i just can't effing stand the sight or sound of blaine for a single second, but klaine is one of the weakest onscreen relationships i have every seen, not to mention one with unbelievable low amount of chemistry between two actors.

lot of it is wish fulfillment for their teen fangirls. bliane is a guy how they consider hot but more accessible and attainable them most, he sing to you all the time and gives you loving eyes. he a fantasy in the flesh and thus completely unreal, which is part of his charm.
I agree. Blaine/Darren is the level they go but think they can't go any higher, so they don't try to.
Darren has outlived his heartthrob status. He is getting too old to be seen as a teen idol but he still clings to it like it is a life-line.
He is getting less media these days and less appearances.
Fox and RIB should just quit trying to push him as their number one star, because one day no-one in the media will buy it anymore, not even the small handful that still do. They should stop pushing the newbies as well, as that isn't working either.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/22/2013, 11:43 pm

This is why every artist should market themselves based on their talents, rather than their looks. Substance is forever, but sex appeal fades fast and attracts more shallow fans. He should want to be taken seriously like Chris. Btw, I think he is talented...so why go the teen idol route? No

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/22/2013, 11:51 pm

^Um, because he's actually not that talented?
- Darren's voice is nice but lacks range, vibrance and endurance.
- His acting is mediocre: his dramatic scenes are horrible, although he's alright in most of the comedic stuff.
- He can dance fairly, but lacks the discipline and finesse.

If it weren't for the teenage girls his fanbase would not be that large. But teenage girls come and go and drop their idols like their old toys.

Darren's strongest suite is his songwriting and singing his own songs. He should focus on that once that Glee is over.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  opals 2/22/2013, 11:55 pm

Darren has outlived his heartthrob status. He is getting too old to be seen as a teen idol but he still clings to it like it is a life-line.
Fox and RIB should just quit trying to push him as their number one star,

I wish his fans would freaking let them, but anymore it seems like they demand and RIB delivers.

How sad it that my hope and likely my continued viewership of this train wreck of a show comes down to a guest star.
It's sad to say, but I feel relatively certain that if Adam goes and Kurt gets back with Blaine anytime soon, his character is done. Toast. Finished. He'll be doomed to sitting on a stool and gazing longingly as Blaine tears up the scene at NYADA and is toasted as the second coming of Christ. Because that is all Klaine/Blaine fans will ever allow.

Kurt will get to plan a fabulous wedding, of course, and we should all be happy for him that someone as wonderful as Blaine has deigned to marry his sorry ass. He won't get to sing or pursue his dreams. Oh wait, Blaine is a dream. It's an epic love, you see. Never mind the near date rape, humiliation, or the cheating. I mean, freakin Karofsky seemed like a better option to me by the end of Season 3, because at least he apologized for the bullshit he pulled.

But the narrative beats me over the head with how lucky Kurt is. He's Jimmy Fallon's butch daughter, with toothpick arms, and a hard luck case of the gay face. Blaine is an acapella dream boat, sex on a stick, and too good for Kurt. The end.

So, Help me, Adam Crawford. You're my only hope. My only hope at this point that the writers are willing to write a decent story instead of just caving to the whim of every Klainer (cough! Blaine stan) who tweets RIB 1000x a day. They wanted Blam. They got Blam. They wanted Cheerio Blaine. They got it. They wanted Klaine make out. Check. Now they want Adam to disappear like Carl did.

But if Adam goes the same way Carl did, then I have lost all hope that Kurt will ever be a self confident, kick ass character ever again despite Colfer's best efforts. He'll be just yet another character that exists only to tell us talented and handsome Blaine is. And they need to tell us 30x's an episode because it's increasingly difficult to show it when he's next to guys like Chord, Blake, Jacob, and (gasp!) Chris. Darren is cute, and very talented. But the others are just as good looking (if not considerably more so) and equally talented. They just don't have a bunch of rabid Star Kid fans to tweet it constantly.
opals
opals
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/22/2013, 11:58 pm

yes kurt can plan a fabulous wedding so he can watch someone else sing all wedding long. dryy

if RIB must bring klaine together i hope they will do the SM song - where kurt, clad in leather, whips the Sad-Face w/ a song and a whip. Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/23/2013, 12:05 am

opals wrote:
Fox and RIB should just quit trying to push him as their number one star,

I wish his fans would freaking let them, but anymore it seems like they demand and RIB delivers.

How sad it that my hope and likely my continued viewership of this train wreck of a show comes down to a guest star.
It's sad to say, but I feel relatively certain that if Adam goes and Kurt gets back with Blaine anytime soon, his character is done. Toast. Finished. He'll be doomed to sitting on a stool and gazing longingly as Blaine tears up the scene at NYADA and is toasted as the second coming of Christ. Because that is all Klaine/Blaine fans will ever allow.

Kurt will get to plan a fabulous wedding, of course, and we should all be happy for him that someone as wonderful as Blaine has deigned to marry his sorry ass. He won't get to sing or pursue his dreams. Oh wait, Blaine is a dream. It's an epic love, you see. Never mind the near date rape, humiliation, or the cheating. I mean, freakin Karofsky seemed like a better option to me by the end of Season 3, because at least he apologized for the bullshit he pulled.

But the narrative beats me over the head with how lucky Kurt is. He's Jimmy Fallon's butch daughter, with toothpick arms, and a hard luck case of the gay face. Blaine is an acapella dream boat, sex on a stick, and too good for Kurt. The end.

So, Help me, Adam Crawford. You're my only hope. My only hope at this point that the writers are willing to write a decent story instead of just caving to the whim of every Klainer (cough! Blaine stan) who tweets RIB 1000x a day. They wanted Blam. They got Blam. They wanted Cheerio Blaine. They got it. They wanted Klaine make out. Check. Now they want Adam to disappear like Carl did.

But if Adam goes the same way Carl did, then I have lost all hope that Kurt will ever be a self confident, kick ass character ever again despite Colfer's best efforts. He'll be just yet another character that exists only to tell us talented and handsome Blaine is. And they need to tell us 30x's an episode because it's increasingly difficult to show it when he's next to guys like Chord, Blake, Jacob, and (gasp!) Chris. Darren is cute, and very talented. But the others are just as good looking (if not considerably more so) and equally talented. They just don't have a bunch of rabid Star Kid fans to tweet it constantly.

I agree with you 100%.

I think Chris will be almost finished with the show at that point. But because of his contract he has to still be on it until it ends or they do the even more dumb thing and get rid of him.

It is interesting when I go on tumblr and see how many Chris fans there are that have never watched Glee and became a fan after watching SBL or reading any of his books. It shows that Chris's fanbase can and is growing and not because of him playing Kurt Hummel.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/23/2013, 12:13 am

Who is Carl?

I think Darren is okay. His voice is commercial, but limited like you said. His comedy is better than his horrid dramatic acting. He actually impressed me with his dancing in the disco episode and how he kept up with Heather and Harry. I think his biggest strength is his charisma as a performer and a teen idol, and we all know he's milking this for all it's worth.

Oh, Opals, you are depressing me! I hope Kurt's storyline doesn't go down this route! :(

Kim, I think Chris would love to do that! Smile

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/23/2013, 12:19 am

carl is the guy whom Emma married but didn't sleep with in S2, right? he's played by John Stamos. that's the only "carl" related to glee that i know of. i may be wrong.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  opals 2/23/2013, 12:19 am

Oh, Opals, you are depressing me! I hope Kurt's storyline doesn't go down this route!

LOL. Sorry. I think the combination of pms and the Facebook debacle has made me extra ranty. Mad I promise to be more optimistic next week. Razz
opals
opals
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/23/2013, 12:22 am

^ blaming PMS always works! Razz i wonder if i am getting PMS too. Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 2/23/2013, 12:22 am

Glorfindel wrote:^Um, because he's actually not that talented?
- His acting is mediocre: his dramatic scenes are horrible, although he's alright in most of the comedic stuff.

If it weren't for the teenage girls his fanbase would not be that large. But teenage girls come and go and drop their idols like their old toys.

Darren's strongest suite is his songwriting and singing his own songs. He should focus on that once that Glee is over.

I know Darren lacks of abilities on those three skills, but aren't things he could improve? Probably he won't be the best, because I still think if a mixture between natural talent and hard-working, but at least he will be able to do a decent work. Umm well currently I think he can do a decent work, but usually it depends on who's next to him.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/23/2013, 12:35 am

Thank you, Kim!

It's okay, opals. It's actually fun as hell to rant sometimes. Lord knows I've done my share. Wink Hey...is it even possible to get PMS when your period is nowhere near it's due date?! Because, oh boy, Glee has sure caused me to feel PMS-y without a cause!

Brisallie, I think it's always possible for anyone to improve one's skills. What I like about Glee is that it's like a performing arts bootcamp. For the past 4 years, the Glee kids have improved so much on their weaker skills and even improved on their stronger ones. For example, Dianna and Cory improved as actors, Naya and Chris have improved their singing ranges, Chris has improved as a dancer and so on. Smile

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 2/23/2013, 12:38 am

chris has improved a great deal on his singing. i don't think he would be able to sing the last 2 bway songs he sang this season if he's still 18 now. marie can confirm (or deny) this.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/23/2013, 12:41 am

I agree. He has expanded his already impressive range. (Of course, I'm no expert). Wink

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/23/2013, 1:02 am

brisallie wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:^Um, because he's actually not that talented?

I know Darren lacks of abilities on those three skills, but aren't things he could improve? Probably he won't be the best, because I still think if a mixture between natural talent and hard-working, but at least he will be able to do a decent work. Umm well currently I think he can do a decent work, but usually it depends on who's next to him.

Honestly, as I rewatch the season two episodes, I actually think that Darren has regressed as an actor. When they were using him correctly as a supporting actor, his scenes could be enjoyable. When they started pushing him out front, and gave him storylines he was not skilled enough to handle, his performance dropped. And if he's not acting opposite someone who can carry him through a scene, his performace falls flat.

Darren is definitely a charismatic performer (which is why he caught the attention of the teen girls), but he has the tendency to go overboard with the facial expessions and movements, which in my opinion, takes away from his performance--it too often reaches the point here his performances become distracting.

I also get the impression that Darren is far more interested in the fame than he is in his work. He likes the attention he gets from his fans, and I think he is really good at getting a reaction from them to try to help keep himself relevant.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 2/23/2013, 1:15 am

If he regressed as an actor, in because nowadays Blaine is a caricature of what he ever was. And in addition, is true that Darren's stronghold is comedic, pretty much because he comes from that background. But still I think that if he want to last for many years in this industry, he should improve his skills. You can't rely on teen fans your whole career, at least the same fans that follow him today, are going to follow him in the future. However, that is like those ex- teen idols whose fans are the same women who were teens back then in the 80´s or 90´s. Is not bad that loyalty, but I think the aim it must be to attract new people.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/23/2013, 1:39 am

brisallie wrote:If he regressed as an actor, in because nowadays Blaine is a caricature of what he ever was. And in addition, is true that Darren's stronghold is comedic, pretty much because he comes from that background. But still I think that if he want to last for many years in this industry, he should improve his skills. You can't rely on teen fans your whole career, at least the same fans that follow him today, are going to follow him in the future. However, that is like those ex- teen idols whose fans are the same women who were teens back then in the 80´s or 90´s. Is not bad that loyalty, but I think the aim it must be to attract new people.
Just like Chris is doing. Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 18 650269930
Teen idols eventually become boring, and age catches up. Teen idols don't stay young forever. Not even charisma can help that.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 2/23/2013, 1:49 am

It makes you wonder what these teen idols do once they get fat and old? That must suck for them.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 40 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 29 ... 40  Next