Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3x14 "On My Way" Watch & Discussion thread

+11
dap1217
brisallie
Glorfindel
Delight
Ireth
tanita_mors
ColferGirl
mellama
Shinra17
fantastica
Jellyrolls
15 posters

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Go down

3x14 "On My Way" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 10 Empty Re: 3x14 "On My Way" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  brisallie 3/8/2012, 1:20 am

Jellyrolls wrote:

Yeah, you're right. It's never been perfect, except for Chris Wink But then again, even Chris had a moment or two like the dreadful line he had in that dream girls song.

What dream girls song??? blinkk
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

3x14 "On My Way" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 10 Empty Re: 3x14 "On My Way" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  fantastica 3/8/2012, 1:59 am

^ the song is "it's all over" - mercede's dream sequence in episode 3.03.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 3/8/2012, 3:14 am

fantastica wrote:^ the song is "it's all over" - mercede's dream sequence in episode 3.03.

OH silly me. Probably is because I haven't slept well today but I couldn't put the words "dream" and "girls" together in a sentence.

^where all the girls had on sequined dresses and Kurt had on a sequined jacket to match Boy looked hot even if he had to screech out a line!

Ok I get it!! Thanks for your description Carousel :D
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 3/8/2012, 7:39 am

Jellyrolls wrote:

Yeah, you're right. It's never been perfect, except for Chris Wink But then again, even Chris had a moment or two like the dreadful line he had in that dream girls song.

But as Glorfindel had stated in her song review, it was entirely necessary to throw Chris under the bus in that song because no one else at booty camp could sing that high. It was either Chris singing really high, or everyone else singing too low to make the song work dryy

That's why I feel that sometimes the song/music arrangement on Glee deliberately sabotages Kurt sometimes. Another good example is 'Candles', though that could be partly explained by Chris having to shut down his vibrato to harmonize with Darren.

And through narrative necessity, they had Chris 'sabotage' Kurt in 'I'm the Greatest Star' by singing really, um, 'girly' in the last verse.

Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 3/8/2012, 8:25 am

^Well said, my padawan. Wink

Yes, sometimes they sabotage the singers in Glee. Most of the times because they just need someone to do the dirty work/heavy lifting. Sometimes because there is no other solution.
But a lot of times it is done because music knowledge/wisdom has to take a backseat to storytelling and whatever gets into RM's stubborn mind (like singing songs too high and letting singers sing out of their wheelhouse).

With all the criticism in this forum of Darren's voice (even though most criticism is valid): I don't envy him for having to sing musical-songs he can't handle and painfully standing out negatively in 'My Favorite Things', when that wasn't his fault. He did his best with the material he was given. Like Chris did when he had to sing that high line in 'It's All Over'.
At the end of the day they just have to do what they get told to do.

To illustrate how difficult they make it for their singers sometimes:
I've read some spoiler (that is probably not true) that Chris would sing
Spoiler:

As exciting as that song sounds, I don't think it is in Chris' wheelhouse yet, he's too young. I think he would deliver (knowing Chris' abilities to adapt and emote through song), but I wouldn't blame him if it would turn out not to be that good. It's not his fault if he is given songs he has to struggle with because they don't fit his voice (or persona).
And it's not the other cast member's fault either when they are given songs they cannot handle. Like Matt Morrison (Fix You and Kiss were not good), and he's one of the best singers in the cast. Or Grant Gustin, who hasn't been able to show his true singing skills yet on Glee.
And I also don't blame Darren for doing the best he could with the WSS songs. He really worked hard on 'Something's Coming', I could hear that.
Now 'Michael' is a different story: WBSS was obviously more in Darren's wheelhouse, or at least his vocal range, and he should have been better singing it. blinkk

BTW: I love Chris' line in 'It's All Over'. Technically there is nothing wrong with it, he is not screeching vexe, and personally I love very high voices (like Ted Neeley in JCS).
All that was wrong with that line was that it didn't fit and it was definitely a last resort to get the job done.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 3/8/2012, 8:54 am

Glorfindel wrote:
And the same double standard applies to Blaine. A lot of Kurtsies cannot forgive him for the car scene in TFT, even though Kurt forgave him in canon. Every little 'offense' Blaine has done to Kurt is magnified and brought up repeatedly, only because a lot of Kurtsies (and Pirates) do not want Blaine as Kurt's boyfriend.
But again: Karofsky's offences were much easier to forgive, because Max Adler is a better actor and hotter than DC. Oh, and off course: (masculine) boys will be boys, that's a good excuse too. dryy
What if that happened to Kurt, or Chris? I don't side with Blaine or Darren often, but I cannot stand double standards.

What that car scene had reinforced to me is that Blaine behaves very badly when he's drunk and should never be allowed to touch alcohol ever again, especially if Kurt is nearby. I have to say, I've only recently started to go back and read the (Kurtsie) fan reactions to this episode on porcelain_fans, and I'm quite surprised to see so much anger towards Blaine. And many of them found the Kurt-Karofsky talk at the Scandals bar to be only scene worth watching in that episode.

Yes, the Klaine relationship leaves a lot to be desired, but it's certainly a healthier romantic relationship than a Kurtofsky one. Blaine had been shown to be 'good boyfriend' material through some of his actions, such as his transfer to McKinley and his taking a slushie in the face for Kurt. By rights, the audience should like Blaine for being so loving and supportive towards Kurt, but... Sigh. It'll probably involve going over too much old ground by elaborating further, so I'll stop here. If only Darren could generate the same level of onscreen chemistry with Chris, then there won't be so much clamoring for 'Free Kurt' and 'Let Kurtofsky happen.' But to be honest, I think what made the Kurt-Karofsky relationship drama so much more engaging was the underlying tension between the two characters generated by their very troubled history. Klaine lacked that tension (or any kind of tension for that matter), because it was a relationship between two characters who are lovey-dovey with each other all the time, even when circumstances dictate that they shouldn't.

As Blaine had clearly demonstrated, the way to become a regular character and get more screen time on the show is to get attached to Kurt. Karofsky fans know that in order to see more of their favourite character on Glee, the best way to achieve this is by having him attached to Kurt (which the writers had finally allowed in canon).

And it's ironic when you think about it. Glee seems incapable of pushing forward these other 'representable' gays (Blaine, Sebastian, Karofsky) on the show without involving Kurt (the effeminate gay who 'can't pass') somehow. When they tried to introduce Sebastian as someone who pursues Blaine, it soon became a Kurt-Sebastian story line (because most of Sebastian's 'pursuing' involved only brief mentions of online chats and phone chats with Blaine behind Kurt's back).
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Guest 3/8/2012, 2:17 pm

Other than the first scene or two with Sebby, we really did not see him actively pursue Blaine, what we saw was a lot of snark between Sebby and Kurt (always fun!). I don't know if they just did not see any chemistry between Sebby and Blaine, or if the snark was just the easier route to go. He was never a Mantana - Santana, for all her bitchiness, was a relate-able character, and he never was. I certainly did not buy his redemption scene about Dave - a character he barely knew, when he showed no real remorse at sending Blaine for eye surgery - the guy he supposedly cared for. If they are trying to set Seblaine up for next year - all I can see is Mutt and Jeff.

I seriously don't think they know how to write for Blaine now that they've retconned him. And Darren plays him younger, which took away all of season 2 dapper mentor. We want Kurt with a strong partner and Blaine is really a non-entity. Plus I find Darren's flirting with the girls and camera a little off-putting. We never saw that last season, so the gay relationship was more believable. I don't know if that is just Darren, or if they are making sure he appeals to both sexes, but it takes away from this "stable loving relationship" when he makes heart eyes at everything in sight.

I think they took what promised to be an inspirational gay relationship and turned Blaine into just another bare chested hunk who can sing. I feel Kurt deserves better.

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/8/2012, 2:21 pm

Preach!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 3/17/2012, 11:34 pm

Started working on the recap for "Prom Queen" on my blog.

... And now, on March 22, it's finished.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 10 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10