Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

+24
happydays
GreenEyes
Esme
Delight
brisallie
Emile
ColferInspired
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Heyerchick
arina
CloveGlee
mellama
Dame Loli
ChrisColferFan1
Buenos
Shinra17
Jellyrolls
sahhar
fantastica
Divalicious
ColferGirl
paulopf
Glorfindel
28 posters

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 12:20 am

^ thanx!

here's something from Tumblr:
The 1st season’s 18th episode had Kurt metaphorically tearing away his straight boy trucker disguise to let his true self shine for the hidden enlightenment of his father.

In season 2’s 18th episode, Kurt returned to McKinley and tore away a jacket to reveal his “Likes Boys” tshirt, performing the title song and thus embracing his Dalton-subdued uniqueness once and for all.

This season’s 18th episode has Kurt ripping away a cliched audition choice along with his costume to reveal a much more fabulous and personally fitting costume and performance underneath, turning expectation on its ear and reaching toward the future with a gigantic F-You to all those who told him he was “too gay” to ever be acceptable.

Glee isn’t often good at continuity, but when they get it right they are fucking awesome.

source

you know, i didn't believe in glee intentionally doing parellels but this is definitely true - the 18th episode is always good kurt episodes w/ more than one kurt songs. now we desperately need some hummelberry duets.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  sahhar 5/2/2012, 12:22 am

It was my favorite Kurt number ever. I'm not exaggerating. I loved how Chris performed it.

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 12:25 am

tumblr just died!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 5/2/2012, 12:27 am

Re-watching. The performance was beautiful. I loved it. It looked so natural, like he was really having fun. Also, he looked so young and so gorgeous in this episode. And when he was talking with Rachel, before his audition, I noticed some pimples. I don't know why, but he becomes even more dear to me when his imperfections show.

On the other hand, I don't want to sound repetitive, but hearing him say that since Rachel killed the beginning of her song, so she'll probably get in just from that, worries me. It's not that I want Rachel not to get in. I don't like her, but of course she's talented and she deserves to achieve her dreams. My problem is that Jane Lynch apparently implied that, in the end, only one of them would get it. And as a kurtsie, I want it to be Kurt.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/2/2012, 12:38 am

Just got to Kurt's audition on the West Coast, he so nailed it. He danced the heck out of it, plus hit some amazing notes. Rachel might have an amazing voice, but she doesn't have the dancing skillz that Kurt has shown.

Anyway, I am sure there will be an eleventh hour event and both get in to NYADA

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 5/2/2012, 12:38 am

Chris needs to perform on Broadway! He was so fabulous! The show runners are crazy to not showcase his talent more. I hate waiting and waiting and waiting, but I have to say that last week and this have made the season worth it for me. I just don't understand why they can't deliver like this at least every two or three weeks!

fantastica wrote:^ thanx!

here's something from Tumblr:
The 1st season’s 18th episode had Kurt metaphorically tearing away his straight boy trucker disguise to let his true self shine for the hidden enlightenment of his father.

In season 2’s 18th episode, Kurt returned to McKinley and tore away a jacket to reveal his “Likes Boys” tshirt, performing the title song and thus embracing his Dalton-subdued uniqueness once and for all.

This season’s 18th episode has Kurt ripping away a cliched audition choice along with his costume to reveal a much more fabulous and personally fitting costume and performance underneath, turning expectation on its ear and reaching toward the future with a gigantic F-You to all those who told him he was “too gay” to ever be acceptable.

Glee isn’t often good at continuity, but when they get it right they are fucking awesome.

source

you know, i didn't believe in glee intentionally doing parellels but this is definitely true - the 18th episode is always good kurt episodes w/ more than one kurt songs. now we desperately need some hummelberry duets.

Nice parallels! And Kurt is always best when he is being true to himself. I don't see why this couldn't be an Emmy worthy submission for Chris, as well as Dot Marie and Lea Michelle. Except he didn't cry. But maybe that would be better for a comedy.

mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 5/2/2012, 1:01 am

Oh, this episode has Emmy Fodder all over it for Chris.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 5/2/2012, 1:06 am

Divalicious wrote:Just got to Kurt's audition on the West Coast, he so nailed it. He danced the heck out of it, plus hit some amazing notes. Rachel might have an amazing voice, but she doesn't have the dancing skillz that Kurt has shown.

Anyway, I am sure there will be an eleventh hour event and both get in to NYADA

I loved his dancing as well. It felt so completely "Kurt" rather than just standard choreography. I'm sure Zach created it, but he focused on Kurt moves rather than traditional choreography.

The costuming was fabulous, too. And even the words to the song were perfect. I especially liked the "You can have your dreams, but you can't have me!" part. It felt right for Kurt and for Chris, both, like Chris was acknowledging the fan fic and fan girl flailing and setting his boundaries.

And I'm so glad we got to hear him do part of POTO as well. I loved it. The acting of it was very HS, but I'm certain that was done on purpose. There has to be no doubt he chose the better song.

I don't think he was accepted yet. TBH, I want him to have to go back for a final call back, because I want another performance that's all him. I'm also still hoping for a featured performance at Nationals. We may have seen the set list for Nationals that gets them to the finals, but I'm hoping for a second round with a HummelBerry Duet. I would happily forgive them for all the crap they've served up if they just give us that. But if tonight was the end of his vocal performances, at least it was superb!

Last edited by mellama on 5/2/2012, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 5/2/2012, 1:13 am

CloveGlee wrote:Oh, this episode has Emmy Fodder all over it for Chris.

I'm so glad you think so! Can't wait to read your recap! And Marie's vocal analyses. I think of how you all, and all the posters here, are reacting as I watch the show.

Last edited by mellama on 5/2/2012, 1:14 am; edited 1 time in total
mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 5/2/2012, 1:13 am

I have decided it is best for me to assume that this was Chris' swan song. Expecting him to get what I thought to be his due has really been very destructive for me and it's kept me from enjoying this season very much. Now he finally got something good and it just doesn't really make up for all the disappointment.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 1:16 am

I don't think there's room for another NYADA audition. last episode kurt said to Chandler that today would be his NYADA call back. so that's it. Kurt is in. unless they changed their minds at finale. I doubt it.

when Jane said one is in and other one is not, I am sure she meant this episode. at that time they were filming this episode. nobody had seen the finale's script yet.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 1:17 am

sure he didn't cry, but we all know that kurt crying (no matter how well he did that) won't get him an emmy. might as well this episode. no cry but solid performance overall.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl 5/2/2012, 1:18 am

So, before I get to what mattered in the episode, I'll just say briefly and quickly that I was disappointed that the NYADA plotline felt - to me - like it was almost sidelined by the domestic violence PSA and Puck's story. This is probably just because I had such high, high expectations for the episode and thought the storyline they'd been building for an entire season would definitely have the lion's share of screentime for this episode, and then.......it didn't, and I was confused and a little hurt by it. I hope the ambiguity of whether either of them got in for sure is a promise that there is more to come in the NYADA storyline for Rachel AND Kurt, since this episode now felt like another notch in the story instead of the climax I thought it would be.

Otherwise I did like the Puck storyline, even though it was a bit silly and sorta pointless at the end when he still failed (though maybe this will encourage him to try studying more). His dad also felt very shoehorned in and brief, I fear the Santana fans may be disappointed if graduation comes and that's the same treatment Gloria Estefan receives. I liked the realism of Coach Bieste's story (going back to Cooter at the end) and I felt very bad for her, and enjoyed the performances tied to her storyline.

Now for what matters....and why I still absolutely love the episode anyway. Smile

OMG!!!!!!!!!! I LOVE LOVE LOVE LOVED Kurt's audition he was soooooooooooo amazing!!! The moment I'm done writing this I'm just going to watch it over and over and over again. I loved every second of it, he absolutely killed that number, it was brilliant. wub wub The singing, the dancing, the energy, the emotion, all of it was flawless and so fun and so, so Kurt. I was so proud of him! And I was so happy that Kurt was finally celebrated for being himself, praised for the very things he's been ridiculed for, particularly in his Tony audition. It made my heart warm to see Rachel, Blaine, and Mr. Schue cheer and clap for him. I clapped and cheered when it was over too. Smile

I agree with Grace - Chris has to do broadway someday. He just has to. He was born for it. He was so fantastic, and I'm so glad Chris wants to do it eventually himself, I'm looking forward to that day so much. wub

I loved the Music of the Night performance too. It was a little awkward to watch for me, I'm not sure if it was supposed to be or if it was just me being twitchy and nervous for the real audition, but I did think his vocals for the song were absolutely gorgeous. I'm happily listening to a download of it right now, in fact, and I would kill for a full version. I really love that Tina and Artie were helping him practice, and I was glad Blaine was watching and being supportive. I agree with Kim that I liked Blaine this episode, and I loved him being supportive of Kurt and their cute, funny exchange over Phantom, it was really great. wub wub Chris looked so cute in the Phantom costume!

I really like that Rachel was genuinely trying to look out for Kurt in this episode, too, even though he ultimately didn't take her advice. I loved their first exchange at the lockers, with her being worried he was self-sabotaging and offering to be his Christine. But I loved most of all her compliments about what a great and amazing performer/singer he is throughout the episode, Kurt doesn't hear it enough and neither do I. I love hearing Kurt be praised and appreciated. wub I loved their scene before Kurt's audition too, that entire dialogue exchange was fantastic (even though it frayed poor Kurt's nerves even further). I really love Hummelberry. wub

I was so worried for Kurt when he got so nervous and pale before his audition!! And I was worried that maybe he chokes, too, and then reauditions later in this same episode when he went on that stage dressed as the Phantom still. But then I was so thrilled when he switched gears on the spot and went with NTBND, tearing off that outfit to reveal the other one. And I love that Tina, Mercedes, and Brittany were there to help him, and in their Journey Regionals outfits no less. Absolutely flawless. I just wish we could have seen Kurt get to celebrate that awesome audition, really been able to revel in that victory, especially since he has so few. (Hopefully maybe they're saving it for when he gets his official acceptance later to NYADA, maybe at the same time Rachel does?)

And then I teared up at the second Hummelberry locker scene. I didn't expect that really heartfelt "I love you, Rachel Berry". crycry That was so sweet and a beautiful moment for those two, I really loved it. I felt so bad for Rachel, especially after the reemergence of funny, driven, entertaining Rachel at the beginning of the episode, and then her absolute devastation after she choked. Poor Rachel. :(

Lastly, I second Paulo - Chris really did look so young and so incredibly gorgeous throughout this entire episode. wub wub

Jellyrolls wrote:Also, consider tweeting Brad to request that they release Music of the Night on iTunes.

Already on it! Smile Though actually, I tweeted the Anders brothers since they seem like they'd know more about the music side of things. But I thought Chris sounded lovely on what little we heard of MotN.

Last edited by ColferGirl on 5/2/2012, 1:38 am; edited 3 times in total
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl 5/2/2012, 1:24 am

It would be so awesome if Chris won an emmy based on this episode. wub I really hope he's nominated again this year.

mellama wrote:

I loved his dancing as well. It felt so completely "Kurt" rather than just standard choreography. I'm sure Zach created it, but he focused on Kurt moves rather than traditional choreography.

The costuming was fabulous, too. And even the words to the song were perfect. I especially liked the "You can have your dreams, but you can't have me!" part. It felt right for Kurt and for Chris, both, like Chris was acknowledging the fan fic and fan girl flailing and setting his boundaries.

And I'm so glad we got to hear him do part of POTN as well. I loved it. The acting of it was very HS, but I'm certain that was done on purpose. There has to be no doubt he chose the better song.

I don't think he was accepted yet. TBH, I want him to have to go back for a final call back, because I want another performance that's all him. I'm also still hoping for a featured performance at Nationals. We may have seen the set list for Nationals that gets them to the finals, but I'm hoping for a second round with a HummelBerry Duet. I would happily forgive them for all the crap they've served up if they just give us that. But if tonight was the end of his vocal performances, at least it was superb!

100% agree with everything you've said. neutre And I would die of happiness if your bolded speculation became true, that would be all I'd ever wanted - that Nationals Hummelberry duet. It would be so wonderful!
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 1:33 am

^ yeah, i want that hummelberry national number too, but we all know (for sure) it ain't gonna happen. :(

sorry don't mean to bring any bad mood to our discussion - so here's something you would all like to see:

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_m3de6hl87l1r4wxabo1_500

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_m3dkzoX6R51qe476yo1_500

Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/2/2012, 1:54 am

I have seen only a Phantom scene and his audition..

What he was doing with his hands??? Razz Razz Razz I am happy we got to hear him singing Phantom fo a little bit, but I am eventually glad he chose different song for his audition because the acting in Phantom scene was kind of amateur (on purpose I assume). His audition was incredible, awesome performance, one of my favorite of him! And so Kurt!

I am just sorry they cut the high note...
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 5/2/2012, 2:02 am

CloveGlee wrote:I have decided it is best for me to assume that this was Chris' swan song. Expecting him to get what I thought to be his due has really been very destructive for me and it's kept me from enjoying this season very much. Now he finally got something good and it just doesn't really make up for all the disappointment.

I realize my optimism is setting me up for more disappointment. I keep thinking they have to realize where the real talent is. Silly me.

I actually enjoyed quite a bit about this episode. Thought the Chicago number was superb as well. I love my Broadway musicals!

I also liked the set up to it. Love NeNe Leaks and love Sue and Roz together. Both played OTT beautifully, but were still believable. The whole SL was done so well. Until Bieste went to the choir room to discuss her personal life with the students. What is it with Glee? Teachers do not discuss their personal lives with students! Having Roz crack on the girls making jokes in the halls was acceptable and making the song assignment to teach a lesson was typical Glee. And I'm glad they did it, because, as I said, I loved the Chicago number.

They could have continued to develop Shannon's story via her interaction with the other teachers. They could have kept everything except having Beiste discuss her experience with the students. That ruined that SL for me. The twist at the end is realistic but I don't care enough about Beiste to want to see it developed further.

I have to say I loved Whoopi Goldberg. She was just so good at quietly being her role, which was a refreshing counterpoint to all the histrionics everywhere else.

mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 2:06 am

mellama wrote:The whole SL was done so well. Until Bieste went to the choir room to discuss her personal life with the students. What is it with Glee? Teachers do not discuss their personal lives with students! Having Roz crack on the girls making jokes in the halls was acceptable and making the song assignment to teach a lesson was typical Glee. And I'm glad they did it, because, as I said, I loved the Chicago number.

They could have continued to develop Shannon's story via her interaction with the other teachers. They could have kept everything except having Beiste discuss her experience with the students. That ruined that SL for me. The twist at the end is realistic but I don't care enough about Beiste to want to see it developed further.

i agree w/ the bolded. about teacher discussion private issues w/ students - it's gross but glee does it all the time, and have mr. schue talking about his bedroom affairs w/ others in school... or student/teacher talking about virginity (of hte teachers). just gross!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/2/2012, 2:15 am

I am not sure if this was not here before but here is download link for Music of the night

http://www.mediafire.com/?eqeisu358ny9ccd
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 2:25 am

after kurt did his phantom song, he had a number of suggestions, including doing the number in german, and, singing in the NUDE???? did I hear it right? I think that's a briliant idea! uhuhu
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 5/2/2012, 2:31 am

Fantastica wrote:

i agree w/ the bolded. about teacher discussion private issues w/ students - it's gross but glee does it all the time, and have mr. schue talking about his bedroom affairs w/ others in school... or student/teacher talking about virginity (of hte teachers). just gross!

I don't like any of the school personnel for this reason. Other adults, Burt and Carol, act like mature adults. The Berry Dads may be OTT and flaky, but they're still believable. But those are all small roles.

They've ruined Will and Sue, who were supposed to be major characters, by making them so ridiculously inappropriate, as well as Emma and Bieste. I don't want Glee to waste time on any of their characters, because I just don't care about them. I want adults, especially professional adults, to act like adults.

I forgot to mention earlier: Yay Tina! She spoke! She sang! They remembered she was part of the show! And she did a great job, too!

fantastica wrote:after kurt did his phantom song, he had a number of suggestions, including doing the number in german, and, singing in the NUDE???? did I hear it right? I think that's a briliant idea! uhuhu

Laughing I was laughing so hard at that. I could just imagine Tumblr's exploding ovaries and dead girls. I think that was a reference to Radcliffe doing Equus.
mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 3:02 am

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_m3dkee0jW21qzzzloo1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick 5/2/2012, 4:21 am

Why wasn't Music of the Night released with the other tracks??!! Chris sounded amazing on it. I tweeted @BFalchuk and the Anders brothers and @GleeonFox to ask for it to be released. He sings so little - why deprive us of this track too?
Heyerchick
Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 4:23 am

I wonder if he was singing live, and it was only that portion we heard.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/2/2012, 5:16 am

Just a few quick thoughts

Music of the Night was magnificent - the vocal I mean. He sounded better they I expected to be honest. So proud and satisfied. The performance - pure camp if I ever saw one. Totally, Kurt though. Also, Phantom in the NUDE - Oh Dear God Please YES !!!!!

Not the boy next door - HOT AS HELL !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

More probably latter

WHERE ARE MY HUGE PHANTOM-KURT SCREENCAPS !!!!!!!

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next