Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

+24
happydays
GreenEyes
Esme
Delight
brisallie
Emile
ColferInspired
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Heyerchick
arina
CloveGlee
mellama
Dame Loli
ChrisColferFan1
Buenos
Shinra17
Jellyrolls
sahhar
fantastica
Divalicious
ColferGirl
paulopf
Glorfindel
28 posters

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Go down

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Empty Re: 3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 3:46 pm

fantastica wrote:^ you mean because the standard phantom has an "old" voice, a very dark, deeper voice?
Yes.

His voice in itself is not darker: the Phantom has been played by both tenors and baritones, and it's within Chris' vocal range.
But the Phantom is a scary, 'dark', mature, bitter man. And even with Chris' acting skills, I don't think he can pull that off yet, without sounding a bit ridiculous.

Actually: it would have been great if they had Kurt do it that way. In the original key, with a weird 'Phantom' voice.

But I prefer the way they did it now, because now there can be no complaints about his voice, whereas a 'Phantom' voice would have given the fandom a good reason why Kurt should not sing MOTN, because he could not handle it.
Now it wasn't about the actual performance of MOTN, but about the feeling of it not being right for Kurt behind it: that was not who Kurt is, but the vocals itself were superb.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Empty Re: 3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 3:50 pm

^ hte "feeling" of the song, not just having an angelic voice (that's the vibe I get from his singing - beautiful but angelic - kind of opposite of the phantom's demonic presence), but his campy movements too, make the whole performance seem just "wrong", which is a good contrasts w/ the real audition piece.

ColferGirl wrote:This really irritated me too. Would it have killed them to keep those precious seconds in when it was such a pivotal performance for Kurt and such a beautiful, important part that they cut (the high F)? Especially since Kurt is shafted on the music side of Glee so often, they could at least have given us this and shaved 12 seconds from a different performance to keep Kurt's in tact.
how about shaving 12 seconds off those never ending commercial huh?

Last edited by fantastica on 5/2/2012, 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 3:52 pm

ColferGirl wrote:I actually didn't realize Kurt was using dancing moves from his past performances until you pointed it out, even though I did recognize the move from Some People, but it didn't click with me until now. I really love that they did that with the choreography.
It was a combination of Hugh Jackman's moves at the Tony Awards and Kurt's own moves. It was very cleverly done.
I really marvelled at how much 'Hugh' Chris put in the performance. It was definitely Kurt, but it was also definitely Kurt imitating Hugh. It's amazing how Chris pulled that off. wub

Here's Hugh: (song starts at 1.15)

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl 5/2/2012, 3:58 pm

fantastica wrote:
how about shaving 12 seconds off those never ending commercial huh?

If that was possible, I'd be all for that. I'd much rather cut a commercial than screentime from the episode itself. neutre

Glorfindel wrote:
It was a combination of Hugh Jackman's moves at the Tony Awards and Kurt's own moves. It was very cleverly done.
I really marvelled at how much 'Hugh' Chris put in the performance. It was definitely Kurt, but it was also definitely Kurt imitating Hugh. It's amazing how Chris pulled that off. wub

Ooo, after watching the video I definitely see what you mean, like with the piano parts of the performance. Chris is truly amazing. wub wub

This was the perfect choice for Kurt, both the song and the performance, if this was Ryan's idea I have to finally give him some props for it. neutre
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 5/2/2012, 4:07 pm

Here they talked about the episode, and is featured Chris's "battle of the bulge" line, haha.

Last edited by Emile on 5/2/2012, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : a mistakeeee)
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar 5/2/2012, 4:08 pm

fantastica wrote:
Heyerchick wrote:The ratings woes are widespread, concerning more shows than Glee and more networks than Fox. The much-touted New Girl only managed a 2.1 last night versus Glee's 2.4.
true. remember NG came on really strong in the beginning? now its even worse than glee? at least glee is at the end of its third seasons. us glee fans really stick to the show through thick and thin, thanks to our constant bitching - it does help release tension. Smile

p.s. I wonder if the blaine stans are sayng this is proof that their fav is not singing in this episode? Shocked

back to the "sex riot" over kurt's hotness - since so many folks and media noticed that, does that mean kurt will has his own shower scene next year? tonguue

Stop bringing my hopes up wub .

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 4:17 pm

I already posted this on another forum:

Kurt's Music of the Night, as lovely as it sounded, was kind of boring and 'not Kurt' (and kudos to Chris Colfer for playing it that way: he made that very clear): it didn't represent who he was, but it was the safe choice.

I liked that it was also a bit meta, because of the fans complaining that Kurt likes singing female Broadway songs, and that he should sing male songs instead. Well, this is what happens: you take the 'unicorn' out of Kurt when he has to conform to the traditional male songs (although that should be something NYADA can work on). But on the other hand: the 'untraditional' male songs, like 'Not The Boy Next Door' Kurt can nail like noone else, and there will be a demand for that in New York.

'Not The Boy Next Door' was Kurt inside out (and again: kudos to Chris for Kurt's confidence and that high kick). He took the risky choice and delivered it including dance and attitude. wub

For Kurt the risk was not conforming to the main stream songs, but choosing a song that suits his personality best.
He took more risk in his audition, not because 'Music of the Night' was sung a 1000 times by other candidates before (and therefore labeled as the 'safe' choice), but because 'Not The Boy Next Door' was a song that no other candidate ever did and therefore it was never 'judged/measured' for its showcase potential/level/ability. That was the risk: was NTBND's level of difficulty and showcase potential good enough for Carmen to judge Kurt to get him into NYADA?
Kurt singing a non traditional and non main stream 'gay' song like NTBND, 6 (!) semitones higher than the original, and hitting a high G while swaying his hips in a provocative manner (Single Ladies, anyone?), was another part of that risk: it was cocky and showed some arrogant attitude, and it could have gone terribly wrong. but Kurt nailed it, proving that his smugness in this was warranted.
And Carmen was not taken aback by this boldness and attitude, but liked it, as a dean of a New York Broadway school should. neutre

Glee really did well with the NYADA story for both Kurt and Rachel (although I would have loved to have gotten more Kurt focus).
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick 5/2/2012, 4:34 pm

It was no accident Carmen Tibideaux had just been appointed Dean of Vocal Performance and Song Interpretation. Kurt gave her both barrels with his performance. I'm actually curious to know how Rachel would have done with her - brilliant - impersonation of Barbra. A high score for Vocal Performance, but lacking in the Song Interpretation is my guess. Having Rachel choke was easy and obvious. Having Rachel's talent actually questioned and examined by a pro would have been much more interesting. What would Carmen have made of Rachel's tendency to park & bark, or, at most, do a little skipping back and forth on stage? I find it hard to describe her signature move, a sort of rocking or bouncing back and forth and then going up on her toes a little.
Heyerchick
Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/2/2012, 4:38 pm

I don't think his angelic voice is a problem for MOTN. At this point in the musical Christine still thinks that the phantom is her Angel of Music, and this particular number is usually done more gently with a bit of seduction in the performance.

Personally, I think the Phantom shouldn't be acted by someone who isn't at least 30-35 years old. In canon he is in his 50's, but that can be avoided with makeup. Crawford was in his 40's when he did it, and that should be the optimal age, although they have been going a bit younger (30's) because of the phantom's "sex God" factor.

For me it's the age thing. A teenager or someone in their early 20's can't be the Phantom, no matter the vocal or acting talent.

Kurt the Phantom was camp galore, but the vocal was exceptional.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick 5/2/2012, 4:40 pm

'Adorkable' probably isn't the Phantom vibe de jour but let's be honest. We'd all hit that Wink
Heyerchick
Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/2/2012, 4:41 pm

You were saying something ...
3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Tumblr_m3dh1et7zZ1qfoe0po1_500
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 4:46 pm

Heyerchick wrote:It was no accident Carmen Tibideaux had just been appointed Dean of Vocal Performance and Song Interpretation. Kurt gave her both barrels with his performance. I'm actually curious to know how Rachel would have done with her - brilliant - impersonation of Barbra. A high score for Vocal Performance, but lacking in the Song Interpretation is my guess. Having Rachel choke was easy and obvious. Having Rachel's talent actually questioned and examined by a pro would have been much more interesting. What would Carmen have made of Rachel's tendency to park & bark, or, at most, do a little skipping back and forth on stage? I find it hard to describe her signature move, a sort of rocking or bouncing back and forth and then going up on her toes a little.
It would have been interesting seeing Carmen comment on all Rachel's 'flaws' and shortcomings. No dancing, no personal interpretation.
But I think the fandom would have murdered RIB for it, and Chris/Kurt with them. Razz

It's comparable with the Tony and Maria auditions: we already knew who we should be rooting for, because they hit us on the head with a sledgehammer with the song choices etc.
The difference is that this time the better candidate/performer won. hapitgh
(performer, not singer)

tanita_mors wrote:Kurt the Phantom was camp galore, but the vocal was exceptional.
iagree

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Heyerchick 5/2/2012, 4:56 pm

It's the first time Kurt has benefitted from Glee's habit of enabling one performer and handicapping others. He got the 'joke' song for the Nationals audition in 'Funeral' and a Barbra number instead of, say, 'Maria' in 'I Am Unicorn.' Rachel was meant to the clear winner in Funeral just like Blaine was meant to be the arousal-inducing only choice in Unicorn. Glee ducked the issue in each of these cases. WSS was particularly egregious because there's no way DC's pop voice could have competed against Chris's Broadway voice on Broadway numbers. It would have been a much stronger story for Kurt to have given the better, fitting audition and still lost out on the part because he didn't excite Bieste's lady parts. Instead they handicapped Kurt, gave him some aggravating labels [delicate, wholesome, toothpick arms etc] and cleared the field for Blaine rather than admit in canon Kurt was the better performer for Broadway roles.

Interestingly, Rachel and Mercedes were allowed to 'tie' for Maria in WSS. But that's the exception, not the rule.
Heyerchick
Heyerchick
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 5:03 pm

Heyerchick wrote:It's the first time Kurt has benefitted from Glee's habit of enabling one performer and handicapping others. He got the 'joke' song for the Nationals audition in 'Funeral' and a Barbra number instead of, say, 'Maria' in 'I Am Unicorn.'
And that still pisses me off.
RIB> beam
Interestingly, Rachel and Mercedes were allowed to 'tie' for Maria in WSS. But that's the exception, not the rule.
And they rigged the audition in Mercedes favor, by giving her a pop song to audition with, and a R&B song to both of them to 'diva off' with.

And noone needed to act for the WSS auditions. Mercedes would have fallen through like an undersized cherry if she had to portray Maria. (And they did let Kurt fail on his acting audition. :angry: )

I wonder if there will be an acting audition for NYADA?
Nah, it's Glee, probably not. dryy
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/2/2012, 5:09 pm

ColferInspired wrote:

I'm sure Chris would either blush or laugh. But he sure knows tumblr really really well that was wh he probably made that comment, though it was partly as a joke. He has impeccable timing, so does the people on tumblr. 3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 3429310274

I thought I would add so does William Keck who tweeted about it.

I'm sure he's more aware about what's people write in tumblr that we thing or has someone who keep him well informed. Because I read that line in tumblr first and then Chris say it Razz I need a video of that comment to see if he's blushing or laughing or what.

Buenos wrote:OK, Kurt was not better than Michael Crawford.

Better than Hugh Jackman!

Actually I'm a fan of Hugh Jackman performance but last night it was a whole new level ohmy , however I'm still insucure who I'd rather. Both?

Buenos wrote:The whole Phantom number was hilarious, with Kurt's painfully analyzed over rehearsed moves and Tina's zombie like Christine...

Tina's acting as Christine it was done on purpose??? Because I was serious looking at that performance but she mades me laugh because it was like a robot.

Heyerchick wrote:

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 004

Besides of Rachel, I think Kurt is really good friend with Mercedes,Brittany and Tina though we usually don't see that on screen. I really like the fact there were there supportive him as backup dancers and chorists, plus is been a while since I saw those golden dresses neutre
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/2/2012, 5:12 pm

Heyerchick wrote:It's the first time Kurt has benefitted from Glee's habit of enabling one performer and handicapping others. He got the 'joke' song for the Nationals audition in 'Funeral' and a Barbra number instead of, say, 'Maria' in 'I Am Unicorn.' Rachel was meant to the clear winner in Funeral just like Blaine was meant to be the arousal-inducing only choice in Unicorn. Glee ducked the issue in each of these cases. WSS was particularly egregious because there's no way DC's pop voice could have competed against Chris's Broadway voice on Broadway numbers. It would have been a much stronger story for Kurt to have given the better, fitting audition and still lost out on the part because he didn't excite Bieste's lady parts. Instead they handicapped Kurt, gave him some aggravating labels [delicate, wholesome, toothpick arms etc] and cleared the field for Blaine rather than admit in canon Kurt was the better performer for Broadway roles.

Exactly, I am still pissed they did not do it like this.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 5/2/2012, 5:32 pm

fantastica wrote:
Heyerchick wrote:The ratings woes are widespread, concerning more shows than Glee and more networks than Fox. The much-touted New Girl only managed a 2.1 last night versus Glee's 2.4.
true. remember NG came on really strong in the beginning? now its even worse than glee? at least glee is at the end of its third seasons. us glee fans really stick to the show through thick and thin, thanks to our constant bitching - it does help release tension. Smile

p.s. I wonder if the blaine stans are sayng this is proof that their fav is not singing in this episode? Shocked

back to the "sex riot" over kurt's hotness - since so many folks and media noticed that, does that mean kurt will has his own shower scene next year? tonguue

Wow, Glee's ratings for this ep is so much lower than I could think of. Glee writers should really think about the way they're are handling the show now and make some serious change in S4. Otherwise, I really can't imagine the ratings for S4 finale. It's gonna be UGLY No

About the Blainers, I think we all know how high they think of their fav, so, I think the answer is pretty clear without saying.

As for Kurt's shower scene, I won't have high hopes for that but I'll always fully support the idea as long as Chris is comfortable with it blushh

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/2/2012, 7:14 pm

Tina's acting as Christine it was done on purpose??? Because I was serious looking at that performance but she mades me laugh because it was like a robot.

I keep it reading it was an "homage" to the wooden performance of Sarah Brightman who originated the role. Was Sarah really that bad??
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 7:22 pm

Buenos wrote:

I keep it reading it was an "homage" to the wooden performance of Sarah Brightman who originated the role. Was Sarah really that bad??
Yes.

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Phantchris
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/2/2012, 8:36 pm

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Tumblr_m3dfpiZC8i1qfcdl6o1_500

Look at how proud they all are of Kurt.

I kinda loved Mr. Schue tonight, being so supportive and nervous. I just wished all RIB's song choices weren't put on Mr. Schue's handling of ND, because like this I really like him.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/2/2012, 8:39 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
Buenos wrote:

Yes.

3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Phantchris

Really? Was she that bad? ok searching immediately her performance on youtube ohmy Razz

p.s.

back to the "sex riot" over kurt's hotness - since so many folks and media noticed that, does that mean kurt will has his own shower scene next year?

I hope the same Kim but the final word it depends on RIB :( But hopefully Chris could convice Ryan as he did with the roller coaster if he wanna do it of course, no one is force him tonguue
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/2/2012, 9:36 pm

Heyerchick wrote:It's the first time Kurt has benefitted from Glee's habit of enabling one performer and handicapping others. He got the 'joke' song for the Nationals audition in 'Funeral' and a Barbra number instead of, say, 'Maria' in 'I Am Unicorn.' Rachel was meant to the clear winner in Funeral just like Blaine was meant to be the arousal-inducing only choice in Unicorn. Glee ducked the issue in each of these cases. WSS was particularly egregious because there's no way DC's pop voice could have competed against Chris's Broadway voice on Broadway numbers. It would have been a much stronger story for Kurt to have given the better, fitting audition and still lost out on the part because he didn't excite Bieste's lady parts. Instead they handicapped Kurt, gave him some aggravating labels [delicate, wholesome, toothpick arms etc] and cleared the field for Blaine rather than admit in canon Kurt was the better performer for Broadway roles.

Preach!

I really loved this episode, and NTBND was definitely the best part of the episode-the power, energy, singing, dancing, Kurt-ness and tight gold pants wub
I loved MOTN too, but not for his audition and I was really scared when I saw him go up on stage in the Phantom costume. Whoopi was great, one of my favourite guest stars.

And I loved Hummelberry. Especially that "I love you Rachel Berry" which was a happy surprise. But I must say I thought Rachel was sabotaging Kurt's audition at first, and I did think that there were some selfish motives in wanting to be Christine. But that's part and parcel of Rachel's character and she was sweet and supportive. I was so happy when she congratulated Kurt at the end, unlike what happened in Michael.

I liked Puck's storyline, and I felt for him, but it was realistic to fail. And The Rain In Spain was fun. I quite liked Beiste's storyline even though it came out of nowhere, but as realistic as it was, I hated that she went back to Cooter.

Also, I loved that Kurt was praised/supported by so many people, Rachel, Blaine, Mr Schue, Tina, Brittany, Mercedes and of course, the new Dean of NYADA Smile

Last edited by Ireth on 5/2/2012, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Typo)
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 5/2/2012, 9:38 pm

Glorfindel wrote:3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Tumblr_m3dfpiZC8i1qfcdl6o1_500

Has Blaine always had that little golf clap thing? Or is that something new that he does when he has to sit and watch Kurt sing?
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/2/2012, 9:44 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:3x18 "Choke" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 7 Tumblr_m3dfpiZC8i1qfcdl6o1_500

Has Blaine always had that little golf clap thing? Or is that something new that he does when he has to sit and watch Kurt sing?

I think I've seen it before, but I'm not really sure. There haven't been enough scenes of Blaine clapping to tell.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/2/2012, 9:48 pm

Ireth wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote:

I think I've seen it before, but I'm not really sure. There haven't been enough scenes of Blaine clapping to tell.

I think he did after the Warblers performance during the regionals humhum but I need to see the video or any gif at least lol
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 7 of 10 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next