Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread

+31
CloveGlee
M&M
Shinra17
BlueJazz
red texta
Jake667
Ireth
Kurt Hummel
happydays
sjonnepon
dap1217
Glorfindel
Emile
tanita_mors
valkeakuulas
Delight
ColferInspired
emilynna
arina
mellama
ColferGirl
angelnessa
brisallie
sahhar
kac
Buenos
Divalicious
fantastica
paulopf
Dame Loli
Jellyrolls
35 posters

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next

Go down

3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 8:01 pm

Shinra17 wrote:Just finished watching the episode (at last Smile )
quick impressions:
- No finchel drama => A+
- love chandler, he has something like 2 mn of screentime and already more personality than blaine after 30 episodes
- brittana's song => bah, fast-forward.
- LOL@Will who plans his wedding depending on the ND kids graduation. I wouldn't like to be in the shoes of Emma
- Kurt/Burt scene => <3<3<3 and quality acting as usual
- About acting, I think DC just scared the hell out 90% of the directors and producers who might be interested in him as an actor
- The klaine's plot was ridiculous, the least to do before getting overdramatic is to ask for explanations, blaine keeping Kurt's phone while being asked to give it back alone deserved a break up. And DC's acting isn't helping, blaine sounded either fake or completely childish.
- I have nothing is really out of Chris' tessitura, as usual he gave a lot of conviction to the lyrics and I would have prefered him singing to Burt.
- I like the quinn/dreadlocks scenes, I can't say if the TGP guy is good because he may be very close to the character but I find he has a good presence and owns his dialogue lines.
- lol@the last number, everyone's entrance was shown except Tina-Mike's

I pay no attention to Rachel/Finn, to be honest, unless they're interacting with Kurt. Speaking of which, her friendship with Kurt, though cute, sometimes seems like of those multiple things Glee has tried to forced down the audience's throat. To me, Mercedes will always be Kurt's bff.
Chandler is sweet, though I confess I'm on team conventionally masculine and taller boy for Kurt. Except if it's Jeremiah, who's taller, but not exactly the most conventionally masculine guy around. But the potential beauty of those two together... ooppss
I honestly have no big problem with Blaine checking Kurt's phone cause it kept buzzing. But the way that bit was played suited me as wrongly as the "why are you yelling at me" one. It's not the situation per se. It's how it was played. Lol. That was the moment when I felt like jumping into the screen and punching Blaine in the face. That and when he sang that stupid song in front of everyone. That was low and dirty.
About DC's acting, I agree: I pointed this out before, but it was such as if I could see DC thinking: "Okay! Huge, sad eyes now! Go!"
Kurt/Burt scene was sweet, though it pains me that Glee is blatantly using them to make people go "awww", instead of to keep building their relationship and Kurt's background. The separation anxiety Burt was experiencing hadn't been addressed before and won't be grazed in the future. A pity and a waste, cause that father/son relationship was one of the only strong points in this show.
"I Have Nothing" is perfect. Shhh. I can't hear your criticism as much as I can't see Blaine's ridiculous faces while Kurt is singing. neutre
I find Dreads and Quinn hot (when they're not together), but I can't watch scenes where Kurt isn't involved, goes against my principles. By the way, I got pelted for finding Dreads hot, so since I'm mentioning it again here: phr34r, before the pitchforks appear in the horizon. ooppss
Lol at Glee.
phr34r And I miss you, fool. phr34r
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 12 Empty Re: 3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 8:03 pm

Delight wrote:
Blaine being in love with Blaine... A slip of the tongue? However, it's probably not that far off from the truth, when you think about it Razz

ptdr I won't edit it, cause as you said, it's totally true.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/29/2012, 8:41 pm

paulopf wrote:I pay no attention to Rachel/Finn, to be honest, unless they're interacting with Kurt. Speaking of which, her friendship with Kurt, though cute, sometimes seems like of those multiple things Glee has tried to forced down the audience's throat. To me, Mercedes will always be Kurt's bff.
Chandler is sweet, though I confess I'm on team conventionally masculine and taller boy for Kurt. Except if it's Jeremiah, who's taller, but not exactly the most conventionally masculine guy around. But the potential beauty of those two together... ooppss
I honestly have no big problem with Blaine checking Kurt's phone cause it kept buzzing. But the way that bit was played suited me as wrongly as the "why are you yelling at me" one. It's not the situation per se. It's how it was played. Lol. That was the moment when I felt like jumping into the screen and punching Blaine in the face. That and when he sang that stupid song in front of everyone. That was low and dirty.
About DC's acting, I agree: I pointed this out before, but it was such as if I could see DC thinking: "Okay! Huge, sad eyes now! Go!"
Kurt/Burt scene was sweet, though it pains me that Glee is blatantly using them to make people go "awww", instead of to keep building their relationship and Kurt's background. The separation anxiety Burt was experiencing hadn't been addressed before and won't be grazed in the future. A pity and a waste, cause that father/son relationship was one of the only strong points in this show.
"I Have Nothing" is perfect. Shhh. I can't hear your criticism as much as I can't see Blaine's ridiculous faces while Kurt is singing. neutre
I find Dreads and Quinn hot (when they're not together), but I can't watch scenes where Kurt isn't involved, goes against my principles. By the way, I got pelted for finding Dreads hot, so since I'm mentioning it again here: phr34r, before the pitchforks appear in the horizon. ooppss
Lol at Glee.
phr34r And I miss you, fool. phr34r
- Rachel-Kurt friendship => As I told you somewhere else, I find it unnatural. I can see Rachel being worried about Kurt because he's a part of ND and she needs ND to achieve her dreams. Same thing for Kurt, he can be rude with her but will take her defence as a member of ND. Anything more than that alliance sounds theorical to me, you can't be bff with someone and thinks at the same time that someone has a horrible personality.

- Chandler => Of course, you are already thinking about him under the angle of Kurt's boyfriend lol. I didn't go that far and was just appreciating as a new character tonguue

- The phone scene => Blaine checking Kurt's phone can be understandable, depending on the closeness between them. Obviously, they are not that close since Kurt was surprised blaine did it. From that moment, blaine, if he had a minimum of education, should have stopped reading Kurt's message and given the phone back. He looked incredibly inconsiderate to me. Anyway, the start of the whole thing from the choir room rang so weird. When your BF is laughing at his phone, there's a lot of reason that can cause it (like watching a youtube video, for instance). Blaine making his pissed victim face at that moment was already a WTF moment for me. And then again being pissed in kurt's room before reading the text messages was absurd, same thing for starting immediately the accusations. For me, it was like DC can only operate in one mode, there's no rise of a suspicion or rise of an emotion, everything was packed in one block.

- I have nothing => you don't have to hear anything, you didn't hear it anyway (the thing in Chris's voice that would be a hell to explain in english lol). Good thing that I close my eyes when I want to focus on the singing, I think I missed a lot of blaine's faces during that number Smile

- Dreads => I said I like him, not that he was hot (and I don't find him hot actually Laughing )

phr34r me too phr34r
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 8:51 pm

Shinra17 wrote:
- I have nothing => you don't have to hear anything, you didn't hear it anyway (the thing in Chris's voice that would be a hell to explain in english lol). Good thing that I close my eyes when I want to focus on the singing, I think I missed a lot of blaine's faces during that number Smile

- Dreads => I said I like him, not that he was hot (and I don't find him hot actually Laughing )

phr34r me too phr34r

Explain. I can understand the most basic French and I can consult my dictionary. Smile Don't abandon me to my ignorance.

I'm kinda the opposite about Dreads. I think he's hot, but his personality leaves me indifferent.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/29/2012, 9:27 pm

^You really are tempting me to say it in French Smile
Ambitus : the range of all the notes a singer can reach (lowest-highest)
Tessiture : the range of notes a singer can sing in "full power" or at least hold the note homogeneously (since the use of the head voice impact the breathing anyway)
Inbetween, the singer can still sing the note but the voice is struggling and you can "hear" the effort (well, not you though Smile ). For I have nothing, Chris get out of his tessiture.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/29/2012, 9:34 pm

paulopf wrote:I pay no attention to Rachel/Finn, to be honest, unless they're interacting with Kurt. Speaking of which, her friendship with Kurt, though cute, sometimes seems like of those multiple things Glee has tried to forced down the audience's throat. To me, Mercedes will always be Kurt's bff.

I'm a Hummelberry but I still like Kurtcedes because I think people could have more than a BFF. Personally I think that Hummelberry started to grow up more and more because they saw a chemistry between Lea and Chris and also Kurt himself became in stronger character so producers or writers decided it was gonna be more attractive to the audience (or some of them) if he interacts more with the female lead.

Razz I'm glad I'm not the only that notice that Darren make that puppy eyes look always he needs to look "sad", is like his safe acting or I don't know.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/29/2012, 9:50 pm

Shinra17 wrote:^You really are tempting me to say it in French Smile
Tessiture : the range of notes a singer can sing in "full power" or at least hold the note homogeneously (since the use of the head voice impact the breathing anyway)
Inbetween, the singer can still sing the note but the voice is struggling and you can "hear" the effort (well, not you though Smile ). For I have nothing, Chris get out of his tessiture.
but then, in NTBND, he nailed the sustained high note which is even higher than the IHN one. It's definitely within his tessiture, but the style of song - Whitney's, rather than a typical showtune, is not within his wheelhouse. It's RnB w lots of quick change and riffs and runs and it's a lot more difficult to sing than NTBND. it's not just the hitting of notes that's required, but the song itself is jsut too hard for him to sing.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 9:55 pm

Shinra17 wrote:^You really are tempting me to say it in French Smile

Ah! Thank you! I understand. Yeah. I just hear emotion and beauty, and OMG, I'm gonna play that song right now! Et je comprends français éleméntaire.

brisallie wrote:
I'm a Hummelberry but I still like Kurtcedes because I think people could have more than a BFF. Personally I think that Hummelberry started to grow up more and more because they saw a chemistry between Lea and Chris and also Kurt himself became in stronger character so producers or writers decided it was gonna be more attractive to the audience (or some of them) if he interacts more with the female lead.

Razz I'm glad I'm not the only that notice that Darren make that puppy eyes look always he needs to look "sad", is like his safe acting or I don't know.

Yeah. I think Kurt/Rachel is more about what the audience wanted. It's true that a person can have more than one bff, but to loosely quote Shinra, what exists between them doesn't really strike me as a friendship Kurt can rely on. I think he honestly cares about Rachel, but he also knows she's not exactly someone he can trust with himself, and he's very aware of her personality's irritating traits.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/29/2012, 10:06 pm

Yeah. I think Kurt/Rachel is more about what the audience wanted. It's true that a person can have more than one bff, but to loosely quote Shinra, what exists between them doesn't really strike me as a friendship Kurt can rely on. I think he honestly cares about Rachel, but he also knows she's not exactly someone he can trust with himself, and he's very aware of her personality's irritating traits.

I've always thought that Rachel can trust 100% in Kurt, I think he's always gonna be there and really cares about her but Rachel, despite I'm sure she considers Kurt her bff and cares about him as well, deeply her competitive selfish side is still there :( and is something that only will change through the years and the experience, as Kurt told him once what she's gonna remember in the future will be the friends she made in HS. So Kurt trust 50% in her lol
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 10:12 pm

brisallie wrote:
I've always thought that Rachel can trust 100% in Kurt, I think he's always gonna be there and really cares about her but Rachel, despite I'm sure she considers Kurt her bff and cares about him as well, deeply her competitive selfish side is still there :( and is something that only will change through the years and the experience, as Kurt told him once what she's gonna remember in the future will be the friends she made in HS. So Kurt trust 50% in her lol

Yeah. I don't wanna make it look like I think Kurt's perfect (I'm well aware of his flaws) and Rachel is a villain. But I do think, so far, Kurt has proven he's a very trust-worthy person. Take, for instance, what happened with David Karofsky and how he was willing to put his interests aside for the his dad's benefit and, then, whether I like it or not, for Blaine's benefit. I don't think Rachel would do that. At least not yet and, definitely, not for Kurt.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/29/2012, 10:20 pm

^

I think the only moment she had done something for Kurt was when she changed, well actually added more votes in the Senior President Election but even then it was because she was afraid that Kurt wasn't going to get into NYADA because of it, she even said at the beggining of the episode that she can't go to NY without her best gay. But then she regretted it for what she did.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/29/2012, 10:26 pm

paulopf wrote:
brisallie wrote:

Yeah. I don't wanna make it look like I think Kurt's perfect (I'm well aware of his flaws) and Rachel is a villain. But I do think, so far, Kurt has proven he's a very trust-worthy person. Take, for instance, what happened with David Karofsky and how he was willing to put his interests aside for the his dad's benefit and, then, whether I like it or not, for Blaine's benefit. I don't think Rachel would do that. At least not yet and, definitely, not for Kurt.
What happened with Sam when he lived in the motel is another good exemple. kurt kept it for himself, even when some people were thinking he was cheating on blaine. On the other hand, we had Rachel spying at night from a car in hoping to break fuinn. So classy and so related to her broadway dreams lmao!
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 10:32 pm

brisallie wrote:^
I think the only moment she had done something for Kurt was when she changed, well actually added more votes in the Senior President Election but even then it was because she was afraid that Kurt wasn't going to get into NYADA because of it, she even said at the beggining of the episode that she can't go to NY without her best gay. But then she regretted it for what she did.

I think even more than adding the votes, what counted was that she admitted it had been her who did it. That really must have been difficult cause it implied a stain on her otherwise perfect student record.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 10:34 pm

Shinra17 wrote: So classy and so related to her broadway dreams lmao!

Enlighten me, please. Yes, again. Why is this related to her Broadway dreams? Or is it sarcasm? If it's a too stupid question, I'll say my account got hacked.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/29/2012, 10:44 pm

paulopf wrote:
Shinra17 wrote: So classy and so related to her broadway dreams lmao!

Enlighten me, please. Yes, again. Why is this related to her Broadway dreams? Or is it sarcasm? If it's a too stupid question, I'll say my account got hacked.
what about the "classy" part? you thought I was serious? panik Smile I was sarcastic and alluding to a certain flow of thinking of the fandom, stating that Rachel is defined by her broadway dreams and forgetting that she went very far in some occasions to get Finn Wink (ok, let's say your account got hacked for 3 minutes XD)
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/29/2012, 10:45 pm

Shinra17 wrote:
what about the "classy" part? you thought I was serious? panik Smile I was sarcastic and alluding to a certain flow of thinking of the fandom, stating that Rachel is defined by her broadway dreams and forgetting that she went very far in some occasions to get Finn Wink (ok, let's say your account got hacked for 3 minutes XD)

Oh! My account got hacked! I'm sorry that hacker bothered you with such a silly question.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/30/2012, 4:17 am

I think Rachel's biggest problem is that she is incredibly self-centered. Not only was she an only child but she had literary NO friends when the show starts. In her mind not only is Rachel No.1, but No.2, No.3,...,but No.486. It's hard to stop acting in a natural way sort of speak. And when she does something impulsive she regresses to that old Rachel. It's instinctual really. I think in a way this is a reason why Kurt is allow in the show to call her he out from time to time just to shack her out of those bad habits - that is, if she wants to have life long friendships. While she isn't 100 % trustworthy, she trusts Kurt completely because he isn't going too bullshit her and tell her lies. Only thou that can she really grow and become worthy of a true friendship.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/30/2012, 6:19 am

tanita_mors wrote:I think Rachel's biggest problem is that she is incredibly self-centered. Not only was she an only child but she had literary NO friends when the show starts. In her mind not only is Rachel No.1, but No.2, No.3,...,but No.486. It's hard to stop acting in a natural way sort of speak. And when she does something impulsive she regresses to that old Rachel. It's instinctual really. I think in a way this is a reason why Kurt is allow in the show to call her he out from time to time just to shack her out of those bad habits - that is, if she wants to have life long friendships. While she isn't 100 % trustworthy, she trusts Kurt completely because he isn't going too bullshit her and tell her lies. Only thou that can she really grow and become worthy of a true friendship.
Incredibly OT, but springing off from this (which I pretty much agree with 100%), but one of the things I've always liked about Kurt is that he is the way he is in spite of his parentage. When you look at a kid like Rachel and see her doting, stage-parenting dads you can see where she comes from easily with her tunnel-vision and 'me, me, me'-syndrome. Just as with Finn, who has an All-American mother with an All-American life to complement his All-American world-view. Just as Quinn etc. etc.

Even with Blaine and his over-blown brother it's basically an inflation of all the things Blaine is-- which in-canon doesn't make much sense because that should have ramifactions for the Blaine-character (most likely more visible feelings of inadequacy) beyond him not telling anyone Cooper is his brother, lol. Which, when I'm honest, annoys me because they did have a chance there to give Blaine actual depth if they just hadn't insisted on making Cooper everything Blaine is but MORE.

But with Kurt you've got Burt. Just about the polar opposite of Kurt in every way. And I think, at the end of the day, that's one of the things why the Kurt-character, pretty much from the start, felt like such a vibrant and three-dimensional character. He isn't just a product of his parentage (though Burt tries to attribute Kurt's personality to his mother, but alas, we'll never know), he's his own person who accidentally antagonizes and bothers his father as much as he supports and loves and nurtures him and vice versa. Which is why I think Kurt is actually the only one capable of having a partner or even a friend that is his polar opposite (but of course he gets stuck with weak-Kurt-knock-off Blaine, l o l).

...I totally lost my train of thought somewhere but yes.

...also, this is Glee where they elevate characters' importance in direct proportion to how many Rachel-scenes they have, because as the lead character she should have all the friends who she will promptly forget about the next episode-- as the second lead, Finn suffers from this too, but not nearly as much as Rachel, imho. It's actually eerily similar to a shounen-manga, that way?

edit: To be a little on-topic, though: I watched the Kurt/Burt scene and I agree with Paulo. It's sad that this relationship has gotten to the point where they just trot it out for an emotional punch and then stuff it to the back of the closet again so Kurt can sing about having nothing without Blaine-- I paused that performance so fast my head was spinning-- what's up with the awkward cutting and splicing on this show?? If only this episode had only dealt with Burt and Kurt and tried to recapture some of the magic these two actors bring when they get a story-line for themselves, than I would've watched it in a heart-beat, but alas, it's Glee.

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/30/2012, 7:37 am

E-ko wrote:Which is why I think Kurt is actually the only one capable of having a partner or even a friend that is his polar opposite (but of course he gets stuck with weak-Kurt-knock-off Blaine, l o l).

So very true.

Kurt and Blaine are both into fashion. Kurt and Blaine had to flee their schools because of bullying. Kurt and Blaine are in Glee club, and by extension, have passion in singing and dancing. Kurt and Blaine both played football.

But the show tries to convince us that Blaine is just like Kurt, but a BETTER gay, because he-- Ho hum, I'll just be going over the same old ground if I continue, so I'll stop here.

The Burt-Kurt relationship is interesting because they are such different people. And their love for each other is all the more beautiful because it remained strong and unquestionable despite their differences.

The writers should've considered this when they created the role of Kurt's boyfriend.

E-ko wrote:
...also, this is Glee where they elevate characters' importance in direct proportion to how many Rachel-scenes they have,

I think the writers use Kurt in this capacity to some extent too.

We got that one Kurtana scene in Michael, and hardly anything since. Same with Brittany and Kurt's storyline about the Senior President elections.

But there is no finer example than Blaine-- the weak character that for some inexplicable reason got elevated (purely because of his connection to Kurt) to such an extent that Kurt got sidelined.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 4/30/2012, 8:50 am

paulopf wrote:
brisallie wrote:

Good points.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/30/2012, 9:48 am

Delight wrote:
E-ko wrote:Which is why I think Kurt is actually the only one capable of having a partner or even a friend that is his polar opposite (but of course he gets stuck with weak-Kurt-knock-off Blaine, l o l).

So very true.

Kurt and Blaine are both into fashion. Kurt and Blaine had to flee their schools because of bullying. Kurt and Blaine are in Glee club, and by extension, have passion in singing and dancing. Kurt and Blaine both played football.

But the show tries to convince us that Blaine is just like Kurt, but a BETTER gay, because he-- Ho hum, I'll just be going over the same old ground if I continue, so I'll stop here.
I should stop too-- and this should probably go in the Snark&Bark??, but for the easiest comparison vis a vis the gross way Blaine is made the 'better' in every way contrast Special Education (Kurt gets shut down by the Warblers, gets a patronizing speech about 'fitting in', doesn't get to sing during Sectionals) vs. Hold Onto Sixteen (Blaine gets shut down by New Directions, gets apologized to by Finn, gets to sing in two songs during Sectionals) or Never Been Kissed (Kurt goes to Dalton, gets a mentor who he gets to crush on and get rejected by for the next 10 episodes) vs. The First Time (Blaine goes to Dalton, gets a guy who hits on him and stalks him for the next 10 episodes). Now I know there's something to be said about acting-talent and not giving Darren more than he can handle and dramatic license and blah blah, but added up it's just such a slap in the face I can't understand why anybody who vaguely identifies with or roots for Kurt is pleased with this relationship (or even just Blaine as a character, tbqh) at all.

The Burt-Kurt relationship is interesting because they are such different people. And their love for each other is all the more beautiful because it remained strong and unquestionable despite their differences.

The writers should've considered this when they created the role of Kurt's boyfriend.
Tbf, Kurt's original boyfriend was his polar opposite-- Sam, the dorky football-player, the Finn to his Rachel. But they axed the story-line because of spoiler!gate, sigh.

I think the writers use Kurt in this capacity to some extent too.

We got that one Kurtana scene in Michael, and hardly anything since. Same with Brittany and Kurt's storyline about the Senior President elections.

But there is no finer example than Blaine-- the weak character that for some inexplicable reason got elevated (purely because of his connection to Kurt) to such an extent that Kurt got sidelined.
Ah, that's true. When you think of top-tier characters it's just about: Rachel, Finn, Kurt, Santana with FOX/RIB+ really trying to get Blaine up there as well-- as their self-proclaimed ND leader '13.

Can I just also say that I really hope that locker-shot is Kurt's locker for the rest of the season?

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 4/30/2012, 11:51 am

One of the things I liked best about the episode was Kurt setting up the counseling session with Emma. It was obvious that he had talked to Emma previously and was willing to let Blaine vent about what he was feeling. It was also obvious that Blaine had finally did some thinking and it had sunk in the parallels between what he had done with Sebastian Kurt and his texting.

In this instance, instead of simply reacting, they had both characters trying to sort out why they had gotten to their current impasse.

Kurt enjoying the texting wasn't bad, (who doesn't enjoy a little flattery and compliments) but using it to compensate his feelings of neglect from Blaine was simply deflecting the problem in their own dynamics.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 4/30/2012, 4:51 pm

I have just joined... hi! So, rather late in the day, here is my verdict on the ep... It was mixed. I liked aspects of it. And other parts annoyed the fuck out of me or gave me significant second hand embarrassment.

Joe, Quinn and Sam- I cringed my way through a lot of this. Is there no way that they can leave Quinn single for five bloody minutes? And for them to have her and Joe move from only having spoken on screen a handful of times to boners and "How to be a good Christian and still have sex" convos was just jarring. As for the Sam "Poor guys having to put up with short skirts and the internet and still keep it in their pants" talk, I just wanted to punch somebody. It seemed to put men down on a level of having an inability to control themselves for five damn minutes because of those pesky girls, on screen and in person, with their seductive clothing. I mean have we really come no further from the Middle Ages' depiction of Eve-like women on Glee? It really infuriated me because this type of thinking is what leads to a rape culture. There is an interesting convo to be had about whether sex before marriage for a believer would be ok but to have it reduced to that puerile, offensive crap? Rage-inducing.

Will and Emma- RUN, Emma! My god, this man is a weirdo. I mean, I am a teacher. One can be invested in one's students but to have him reduced to this pathetic shell of a man who only worries if his students will be at his wedding? Awful. In early Glee, I thought all the creepy Will stuff in fandom was overdone... but now? God, this man needs to get a life not wrapped around his students. In any real world, questions would be being asked by the school authorities. As for his domineering insistence of his way and his ordering Emma around? Can someone remind me why we are supposed to want this man with the lovely Emma?

Rachel and Santana- What *was* that? I liked their song. Fun performance. But that locker-side chat? Forced and weird fan service. No one talks like that and you could tell they were finding it hard to play it. It came out really strange.

HeMo dancing- this is how I love Brittany. The odd one liner but mainly glorious dancing. Such fun. And, aww, Santana was so excited.

Kurt, Burt and Blaine- Hmm, I liked parts of it. I thought the general plot was ok. No problem with Kurt being wrong. He was wrong to be flirting by text in secret. I liked the fact that they allowed him to be human again and make mistakes. I liked the fact he was defensive and obstinate and so on. And I loved the way Chris plays Kurt. I loved the fact that he shows how emotionally resilient and tough Kurt can be. He is able to be independent and 'cope' with pain in a very traditionally masculine way whilst being very emotionally honest and open in other ways. Beautifully nuanced. I thought Darren had one of his better scenes in the bedroom. He was hurting and one could see that. I felt bad for him. The Emma's office was less successful for me. The 'pained' voice didn't come across right to me and sounded whiney and forced. Generally the plot hung together.

However, I had some major problems with it. Firstly, the Kurt and Burt scene was so moving and *true*. It felt so emotionally honest and the connection between the two actors seemed so *right*. This has always been the case and, for me, their relationship is the best one on Glee. Therefore, when it segued into "Share my life and all that I am / For I'll never change my colours for you" it fitted their relationship so well that I had tears in my eyes and then... it was for Blaine- a relationship, IMO, that hasn't matched up or even reached the outskirts of the wonderful emotional resonance of the father / son bond Glee has shown with Burt and Kurt. When Kurt sings that his walls have been broken down by Blaine or that Blaine sees through to the heart of him and that he has nothing without Blaine, I don't *believe* him. I am not saying they don't love each other or that Blaine is not important to him or that Blaine is not a sweet boy generally. But it is being *said* to be a 'love for the ages' and all I see is puppy love. Sweet and so on but not always lasting. I have been *shown* nothing that makes this more than a HS relationship that in the real world probably wouldn't last.

Secondly, the 'meta' and the use of fandom complaints irritated me. Was it fun to see Kurt snark about sitting on a stool whilst Blaine sang? Yes. Will it change anything? No, he will still sing 5 songs to Kurt's 1 (discaimer: I have not actually worked out a ratio; this may be hyperbole but it *feels* damn accurate). And this is the f***ing way they write them so don't piss me off, RIB, by making a non-resolvable plot point out of it and don't make Kurt snark about this but not let the characters actually deal with it as an issue. Don't have Blaine complain about moving schools as if it has always been a point of festering bitterness ready to come out in a fight and yet never have shown that *or* be ready to show them actually dealing with it. Don't have a supposed possible LI ("See! We're showing Kurt would have options!") and then make him a cartoon which not even Kurt was taking seriously. No, a hyper, badly acted puppy with an appalling taste in puns was not a serious threat. And, lastly, don't write lines about alpha gays, RIB. *You* are the ones who have written it like this and I really hate you for it. I hate the fact that young fem boys who finally got a f***ing *hero* in S1 see him continually measured up against his bf and found supposedly wanting. And, no, I didn't want a cipher or an 'inferior' as a bf for Kurt but I didn't want the 'alpha' vs. him either. And, especially, don't let him bring that up and then have it brushed under the carpet with an office scene which was all about Blaine's problems and Kurt's failings.

I really, really want them to break up now. YMMV. I don't ride roughshod over the alternative perceptions of them as a cute, sweet couple. I'm glad others can see that and enjoy them. It sure makes Glee easier. For me though, there are issues there that *never* have and *never* will be resolved. Also, Blaine is unrecognisable from S2. Where is the mature, confident boy in this insecure, needy characterisatioon they seem to be pushing now? Nowhere to be seen and, frankly, I find his neediness yet coupled with a still 'golden boy' persona annoying as anything. Sigh... I never will see Kurt Hummel on the loose in the NYC dating field and that makes me want to cry.

Last edited by Georgette888 on 4/30/2012, 4:55 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Hmm, did I misunderstand or do the rules mean the odd f-word is not allowed?)
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/30/2012, 5:21 pm

Georgette888 wrote:Will and Emma- RUN, Emma! My god, this man is a weirdo. I mean, I am a teacher. One can be invested in one's students but to have him reduced to this pathetic shell of a man who only worries if his students will be at his wedding? Awful. In early Glee, I thought all the creepy Will stuff in fandom was overdone... but now? God, this man needs to get a life not wrapped around his students. In any real world, questions would be being asked by the school authorities. As for his domineering insistence of his way and his ordering Emma around? Can someone remind me why we are supposed to want this man with the lovely Emma?
I can't help thinking that there is still something wrong between the way the character is written and the way he is played. A teacher who bases his weeding date on his students schedule can be a hilarious gag, each time (cos there were other similar situations) I want to laugh and then MM played it dramatically instead of playing it à la Brittany (clueless character). But well, if is was really the case, I guess they should have inform MM about it, from all the time this situation lasts... Laughing

Hmm, did I misunderstand or do the rules mean the odd f-word is not allowed?
No, there is no word that is censored by the board system. What happened?
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 4/30/2012, 5:24 pm

I suddenly thought I remembered something about not using 'vulgarisms' in the board T&Cs when I registered and so was a good girl and went back to put *s in. Hee.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 15 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13, 14, 15  Next