Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6

+28
Sunshine 2012
Kurt addict
opals
Jellyrolls
valkeakuulas
kac
sheny
TimF
tanita_mors
Ireth
Divalicious
Catt24
angelnessa
Tash87
ChrisColfersLightning
ChrisColferFan1
Glorfindel
Lottie2303
Georgette888
mindschemez
Ranwing
fantastica
bayth
coxfire
Buenos
brisallie
Vir Cotto
ColferInspired
32 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6 - Page 11 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6

Post  Ranwing 5/24/2014, 11:04 pm

Well, this should come as a surprise to absolutely no one.

"Glee" Star Lea Michele Has Meeting with Director for Broadway Revival of Funny Girl

"Glee" star Lea Michele, who performed Funny Girl's "Don't Rain on My Parade" at the 2010 Tony Awards, is still interested in starring in a Broadway revival of the classic musical comedy that made a star out of Barbra Streisand.

On the May 22 broadcast of Bravo's "Watch What Happens Live," the Drama Desk-nominated Spring Awakening star told host Andy Cohen, "Ryan [Murphy] has the rights [to the musical], and it's something that we'd both, I think, would really like to do. And, we've had some really exciting first meetings with a really fabulous director that we think would be really wonderful.

"It's just about fitting it in timing wise," Michele added. "Doing that show would take so much energy, and coming right off of the sixth season of 'Glee,' I definitely am going to tour my album a little bit this summer, but definitely next summer.... And, I have to work on my second record, so when we have the time, we would love to do it."

The singing actress also spoke a bit about performing in front of Oscar winner Streisand at the 2011 Music Cares event. "That was a black out experience," she explained. "I don't know how I got through that. And I just remember she was sitting in her chair with her dog on her lap, and I was singing 'My Man,' which is from Funny Girl, and one of her most-praised iconic songs, so that was pretty intense. I didn't meet her that night, but I met her the next night, and it was awesome."

As previously announced, Michele will celebrate the release of her solo album "Louder" with an 11-country world tour this summer.

Playbill

I honestly don't know what to say about most of the article. We know that since RM got the rights to FG that Lea would get the part if the show actually makes it to the stage, but a lot of the rest about her plans had me scratching my head. I don't know what kind of 11 country tour they have planned for her album, but since they haven't announced any concert dates, my guess is that it's going to be media promo and not actually performing in venues. And I think that the jury is still out over a second album given Louder's less than stellar sales. Honestly, I think that BW is her best bet post Glee. I just wish that she would stop trying to follow in Barbra's footsteps and copying her when she could be looking at roles that would establish her as an icon in her own right.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6 - Page 11 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6

Post  Buenos 5/25/2014, 1:57 am

For all we know Lea's album has done OK to good world wide.  I believe it hit #1 in something like 11 countries  (I know Cannonball the single hit #1 in at least a dozen countries.)

So if she sells at least 100-150 K domestically and , say, between 100-150 K overseas, it's hardly the disaster some  are trumpeting it is.  

Many artists have gotten a second shot at an album with less, and in Lea's case she got those sales with no touring.  After Glee is over if she starts a tour next summer her album could actually reignite its sales.  There are a few singles on it that are better then the ones they have released so far IMO.

Far too soon to write the obituary on Lea's recording career.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 5/25/2014, 10:26 am

I'm not "writing Lea's recording career obituary". I am, however, being realistic. Charting overseas can look great but then you have to look at what those sales actually constitute (some singles and albums certified gold in other countries do so with selling only a few thousand copies). If the album doesn't make at least gold status in the US (with means sales of 250,000 units), or doesn't have a single that hits gold status, that doesn't preclude getting a second album, but it will mean that the label will not be investing nearly as much for production and promotion the next time around. This is the reality of the record business. They likely see Lea as what should have been a sure thing for a good seller - a well known actress known for her voice from (what had been at the time her album started production) a top rated and culturally popular television show. The fact that her sales are not great are due to multiple factors (general depression of album sales across the board, Glee's falling status, poor critical reviews, oversaturation of the female pop genre, etc.), but lack of opportunity to tour isn't really a factor. Lea has a strong built in audience that didn't need her to be out there playing coffee houses and small clubs to try to build interest. Her album had a lot of media focus in the months before its release date.

I also don't see any chances of any kind of tour this summer (as she's been talking about). The summer entertainment season is already on us and venues have been booked for months at this point. If they haven't announced dates for her "tour" by now, then there likely isn't any kind of tour (unless they plan to have Lea playing in shopping malls). As I said, given the limited amount of time she's probably got before Glee would be normally scheduled to start production, an 11 country tour (unless she's just dropping in to do some media promo before jetting to the next destination) is not very feasible. Touring next summer after Glee is done is going to be rather pointless, given that the album would have been out for over a year and interest will certainly have faded by that stage.

As far as FG goes.... we all knew that RM was pegging Lea to play Fanny on Broadway the instant that he got the rights. It was behind the whole absurd Rachel storyline (basically turning his tv show in an effort to gin up interest in Lea actually playing the role). Whether or not there's a real demand for this show to be pulled out of mothballs (given how an earlier revival never made it to performances) or Lea playing this particular role is a big question mark. We'll just have to see how it all plays out. But I am sorry that rather than charting her own path, Lea seems focused on copying Barbra yet again.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 5/28/2014, 2:25 am

Kevin McHale has been cast in the indie film "They Might Be Kennedys"

Kevin will be playing “Teddy Mulligan/Kennedy Ted.”

The film also stars Aaron Tveit, Neal McDonough, and Robert Belushi.

Synposis: In the summer of ‘89, two twenty somethings, looking to escape their dead end lives, pretend to be Kennedys to pick up girls and party like Cape Cod royalty. Based on True Events. [x]

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/28/2014, 2:42 am

Ranwing wrote:I'm not "writing Lea's recording career obituary". I am, however, being realistic.
Nobody is saying she doesn't have a tough road to hoe to be a major recording artist.

At the same time, I don't think it's realistic to write off her chances after her debut album sold most likely over 100 K in the US without a strong (so far) single to jump start it.

Artist large and small haven't all had their debut albums leapfrog them to the top, so IMO the Label isn't  quickly going to write off any chances that Lea has.  She still probably has the highest public  profile of all the younger cast, she can still get Talk show slots, magazine covers and is covered by the traditional entertainment media.  Realistically they would be invested in her for than a one shot deal, plus they realize once Glee is over she can (if she wants) focus on a full recording tour. 

I don't care how big a name someone is, 99.99 percent of artists out there have to put the blood, sweat and tear equity of touring.

So without minimizing how difficult it is, I do think the PTB at the Label company could still be invested in her despite her not selling "only" 250K copies of her album so far.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/28/2014, 5:23 am

sheny wrote:

Synposis: In the summer of ‘89, two twenty somethings, looking to escape their dead end lives, pretend to be Kennedys to pick up girls and party like Cape Cod royalty. Based on True Events. [x]
Kevin is doing very well for himself in his post Glee career. I'm glad, because he's very talented both singing-wise and acting-wise (and dancing!), and he's grossly underused in Glee. (Curse of the wheelchair and not having a Greek God body?)

Congratulations, Kevin!  hola  hola
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 5/28/2014, 6:02 am

I've felt for a long time that after Chris, that Kevin has the best chance of the young male actors on the show (along with Cory) to have the best chances for a strong post-Glee career. He is remarkably talented both as an actor and a singer and I'm glad to see him getting signed to such interesting projects.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 5/28/2014, 6:49 am

Yah for Kevin! Very happy for him.

And, yes, I'm mean but, Buenos, do you ever remember that conversation about DC, KH and crying fans at TCR and laugh?  whis 
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/28/2014, 8:37 am

Yay, congrats for Kevin  Smile I don't know why I've this feeling this boy might bring surprises in the future. Wouldn't be ironic if he has a successful career after Glee, while he was underused on the show?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/28/2014, 9:37 am

Glorfindel wrote:
sheny wrote:

Kevin is doing very well for himself in his post Glee career. I'm glad, because he's very talented both singing-wise and acting-wise (and dancing!), and he's grossly underused in Glee. (Curse of the wheelchair and not having a Greek God body?)

Congratulations, Kevin!  hola  hola

I'm so happy!!! Really good for Kevin  Smile . He and Chris don't need Glee anymore  Smile .
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/28/2014, 10:33 am

Georgette888 wrote:Yah for Kevin! Very happy for him.

And, yes, I'm mean but, Buenos, do you ever remember that conversation about DC, KH and crying fans at TCR and laugh?  whis 

How could I forget??  Rolling Eyes 

Kevin has one movie in the can, another one in the pipeline and filming his UK TV show this summer. He's certainly keeping busy and I'm thrilled for him.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/28/2014, 11:46 am

very happy for kevin.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/28/2014, 2:06 pm

I also suspected the "smaller" actors of Glee may be the true breakout stars after Glee ends. Kevin is most certainly one of the most talented people of the cast, so I am very happy for him.

Us Chris and Kevin fans, really have a good year so far  hola 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/28/2014, 2:09 pm

And while they were only  supporting rarely recurring characters I am so thrilled for Grant Gustin's big starring breakout role in "The Flash" on the CW and for Jonathan Groff's "Frozen" Success and HBO "Looking" renewal.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/28/2014, 3:52 pm

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 6 - Page 11 Tumblr_n6an5v7A9C1rojy6eo1_500

Kevin McHale’s Virtually Famous
E4
Dates just released…
Hosted by American actor and Glee star Kevin McHale, Virtually Famous is a brand new weekly, comedy quiz show that celebrates the weird and wonderful people who have been catapulted to online fame.
Viners, Life Hackers, Pranksters, Plankers, Lip ‘Syncers’, and Chocolate ‘Rainers’ will be joining Kevin and his two teams of comedians and celebrities as they meet the stars and try to find out exactly what the internet has taught us.
What DOES the Fox say? How do you make a Purrito? What does a double rainbow MEAN? And does ANYONE know why this cat’s sad? Really?
The two teams proving all lolz will be captained by Seann Walsh and Chris Stark.
If you love Celebrity Juice and Sweat the Small Stuff, you are going to love this!!!
Filming Dates:

• 25th June 2014, Wednesday, 3:15pm
  • 27th June 2014, Friday, 6:45pm
  • 2nd July 2014, Wednesday, 3:15pm

Request your tickets right now!
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/28/2014, 10:34 pm

Kevin is like Chris were he is doing the smart thing by finding other projects before Glee ends.

And he is doing it himself.  neutre 

Max is still in Switched At Birth which will be back on soon.

My guess he is now made a regular.

Vanessa with Mixology.

I hope Naya is doing some serious looking for something else before Glee ends.

She has a horror movie coming out soon.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/28/2014, 11:03 pm

Well "Mixology"was cancelled, as was Mike O' Malley's fall sitcom "Welcome to the family".   :( 

However Jayma's comedy "The Millers" was renewed for second season. 

Interesting that Kevin films his UK quiz show in late June, early July, and supposedly the Indie film is going to be made in August.  So I'm wondering if both Artie and Kurt will be MIA early in the Glee season , or how much they will fit them in the episodes.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/29/2014, 12:01 am

Buenos wrote:Well "Mixology"was cancelled, as was Mike O' Malley's fall sitcom "Welcome to the family".   :( 

However Jayma's comedy "The Millers" was renewed for second season. 

Interesting that Kevin films his UK quiz show in late June, early July, and supposedly the Indie film is going to be made in August.  So I'm wondering if both Artie and Kurt will be MIA early in the Glee season , or how much they will fit them in the episodes.

I had no idea "Mixology" was cancelled.  :(

I love "The Millers". I am hooked on that show.  Smile
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/29/2014, 1:04 am

@Buenos, Is sad what I going to say but I don't believe the writers are so much worried about giving an explanation why Artie is absent. He already has been sidelined, and seems they don't care so much about him.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 5/29/2014, 3:15 pm

I'm calling it now... without the promise of renewal (to use as leverage to get RM to behave), I fully expect season six to go well beyond train wreak and become a disaster of Chernobyl/Fukashima proportions. There will be nothing to stop RM from indulging whatever whims float his boat and FOX has apparently washed their hands of the whole thing. I expect more of the Lea Michele Show (since it's not even Rachel that we're watching any longer), more of Darren Criss's epic mediocrity, more of Chord's attempts to "act", more song performances that have absolutely nothing to do with the storyline, stunt-cast guest stars taking time away from actual characters and Kurt being totally sidelined up until his wedding (reinforcing that wonderful message that if you're a gay kid from a small town, you have to marry the first gay boy you meet).

I'm grateful that Chris and Kevin had projects that should keep them from having to endure too much awfulness, and I'm sure that I will take a malcious pleasure in watching the ratings plummet to 9th ring of Hell levels, but I can't help from mourn what we lost. My hope for the series finale is something along the lines of what happened on Little House on the Prairie, where they dynamited the whole town. Seeing the last shot on Glee being McKinley going up in a mushroom cloud would certainly put a smile on my face.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/29/2014, 3:33 pm

Ranwing wrote:FOX has apparently washed their hands of the whole thing. I expect more of the Lea Michele Show (since it's not even Rachel that we're watching any longer), more of Darren Criss's epic mediocrity, more of Chord's attempts to "act", more song performances that have absolutely nothing to do with the storyline, stunt-cast guest stars taking time away from actual characters and Kurt being totally sidelined up until his wedding (reinforcing that wonderful message that if you're a gay kid from a small town, you have to marry the first gay boy you meet).

I'm grateful that Chris and Kevin had projects that should keep them from having to endure too much awfulness, and I'm sure that I will take a malcious pleasure in watching the ratings plummet to 9th ring of Hell levels, but I can't help from mourn what we lost.

With Kevin, Chris and (I'm assuming ) Naya Rivera missing from some of the first few episodes it's going to be those three as the leads of the show, though realistically based on track record, it was going to be those 3 regardless.

Fully expect yet another split  or triple narrative, with Sam becoming Finn 2.0 and Jane and Matt shoehorned in as McKinley Glee rises from the ashes.

The actor I most feel bad for is Matt Morrison, forced to be a prop for Sam.   With Jayma off Glee Matt  has practically no one to play off other than Will/Sue feud # 1001.  Seems Dot isn't a fave anymore so that's that.  It will be Roz and Becky with screen time  and when ever Paltrow can pencil in the time she will get numbers and an episode centered around her.

What not have thought this previously, but wouldn't be shocked if RM brings back the Noobs simply because he can.

As a midseason replacement, despite the loss of 4 hours of X FACTOR in the prime time schedule FOX has clearly indicated how little faith they have left in Glee as far as ratings viability.

It's not going to be pretty, unfortunately.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/29/2014, 4:35 pm

I have to admit, that Noel Coward biopic movie works out very well for Chris  almost flawless timing.  Part of it was of course luck, but part of it was how well Chris seemed to prioritize when he truly wanted time off from Glee for something he IMO wanted badly.

Having previously giving time off to Lea, Jayma,  Darren, Cory, Jane, Naya,  Dianna, Kevin  and Matt among others for  non Glee related projects during production, Glee couldn't very well deny Chris a well in advance (I'm assuming based on previous summer comments ) request to finally  have time off to do a movie.  He's practically the only lead who had not had time off for a project like this.

It is unusual to do this early in the season (Cory delayed his filming in fall 2012 because he had 2 Indie movies he was shooting back to back in Canada is the only other example) but I think that getting the OK from the show before the final episode order was known worked out for Chris.

No one can accuse him of bailing ship since he was planning this for so long and LBR, he avoids having to anchor a lame duck show at this point by having what most likely be  cameo appearances while still being tied up from doing other things.  If it takes 4-6 weeks to film this movie, so be it.. Chris worked and mapped  it out  and it furthers his career planning in the middle of the last Glee season.

Well played, Mr. Colfer, well played!!!   Razz  ptdr  ptdr
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/29/2014, 4:43 pm

i turned on my tv earlier today and saw Lea on one of those talk show programs (i think the interviewer is or looked like Dr. Oz?) she was selling her book. is it mainly a health and beauty book? i didn't know that dr. oz has his own show. is he the second dr. phil or something?

last night i was watching a chinese dating show on Youtube w/ my mom, and in one of hte video clips they had Chris' version of "perfect" in the background. In fact, the "background" song was so loud I didn't even know what the guy was saying in the foreground (part of it was because i was so distracted by chris' singing). it was such a warm and fuzzy feeling when you hear chris' singing voice in the least expected place. more over, the clip was short enough that most of the song was chris' first verse and then about a few seconds of the chorus fading away as the video clip came to an end. Interesting that they chose the glee version rather than P!nk's original version. i am certainly not complaining.

Last edited by fantastica on 5/29/2014, 4:44 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/29/2014, 4:43 pm

Not really a shocker, ..

Fox's Kevin Reilly to Depart hollywoodreporter.com
Fox is moving in a new direction. 
The network’s broadcast chairman Kevin Reilly, who has been at Fox since 2007, will depart at the end of June. The news comes at a particularly challenged time for the network, which rounded out the season flat in the key 18-49 demographic despite having the Super Bowl — and again losing the demo crown that the net had handily won for nearly a decade. Outside of genre play Sleepy Hollow, Fox failed to add any new bona-fide hits this past year, relying instead on critically beloved niche comedies (The Mindy Project, Brooklyn Nine-Nine), shrinking dramas (Glee, The Following) and an aging reality franchise (American Idol). 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/29/2014, 4:47 pm

^ goodbye Kevin! if you were effective you wouldn't let glee live past season 3 in the first place.

is glee's 13 episode order a sure thing now or was it just a rumor?
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next