Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 8

+32
CloveGlee
Molly2
Georgette888
Stephanieeee
kac
TimF
Divalicious
opals
bayth
glimmerle
tanita_mors
arina
MissSoniaPP
coxfire
Delight
ChrisColferFan1
Vir Cotto
angelnessa
Glorfindel
valkeakuulas
sheny
sjonnepon
ColferInspired
AnneNeville
Jellyrolls
fantastica
brisallie
ColdFlame96
Ranwing
Buenos
Lottie2303
MoviesAreLife
36 posters

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 8 - Page 11 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 8

Post  arina 6/19/2013, 12:44 am

I read Darren wanted the VIP package cheaper to more fans could meet him and I think he probably tries to compensate the price of the ticket that he let the fans do what they want, tries to make the moment for them the most memorable, they are the ones who decide the pose. If that is always the best idea, I am not sure, sometimes it may seen as too much. I would never aske for pose like that either.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 8 - Page 11 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 8

Post  fantastica 6/19/2013, 2:05 am

These r fans with explosive ovaries. It suits them better.

I don't care.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 6/19/2013, 2:48 am

arina wrote:I read Darren wanted the VIP package cheaper to more fans could meet him and I think he probably tries to compensate the price of the ticket that he let the fans do what they want, tries to make the moment for them the most memorable, they are the ones who decide the pose. If that is always the best idea, I am not sure, sometimes it may seen as too much. I would never aske for pose like that either.

Why should fans have to pay in the first place for any sort of meet and greet?

Weren't the ones at Glee Live Tour free?

And don't these people work for Darren, wouldn't he have a say in everything, or is he just their puppet now?
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 6/19/2013, 2:55 am

Just in case you all needed more proof that Darren is seriously the sweetest person ever…
Molly from Adventures in Wonderland (who is adorable, by the way) was telling the group before the meet and greet that the prices for the VIP packages weren’t Darren’s idea. She said Darren suggested they be priced at $25 because he wanted them to be accessible to everyone and for more people to be able to meet him. AIW had to actually negotiate up the base price they could reasonably ask for each package without losing crazy amounts of money.
So the prices for the VIP packages were really and truly the lowest any of them could manage because Darren wanted it be that way for his fans.

I think it was the same on Glee tour, the meet and greet was part of the VIP ticket.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 6/19/2013, 3:34 am

arina wrote:

Just in case you all needed more proof that Darren is seriously the sweetest person ever…
Molly from Adventures in Wonderland (who is adorable, by the way) was telling the group before the meet and greet that the prices for the VIP packages weren’t Darren’s idea. She said Darren suggested they be priced at $25 because he wanted them to be accessible to everyone and for more people to be able to meet him. AIW had to actually negotiate up the base price they could reasonably ask for each package without losing crazy amounts of money.
So the prices for the VIP packages were really and truly the lowest any of them could manage because Darren wanted it be that way for his fans.

I think it was the same on Glee tour, the meet and greet was part of the VIP ticket.

Then why didn't he have a simple meet and greet, without the VIP attached to it?

Isn't meeting fans worth more than money?

Why should money be a part of it in the first place?

Or is getting as much money out of your fans more important than them just meeting you?

Don't fans deserve to meet you for free, after they spent money on the ticket, and to get there?

Plus they had paid merchandise, again more money.

If this was Darren's people idea, then they are money hungry.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 6/19/2013, 4:03 am

Okay, I’d chop of an arm for a chance to be a real friend to Chris one day. That will never happen, so I can happily keep my arms. Of course the idea of meeting Chris, talking to him and sharing our darkest secrets sounds great on paper. But in case I attend a Meet&Greet, signing or meet Chris randomly, I’d never ever even consider the idea of physical contact or even a deep conversation. I am a fan – he is a celebrity! Chris has every right to set some boundaries and I have to respect, accept and support them. I love for instance about Chris that he treats his fans for 1 minute by only focusing on them. But I also love that he doesn’t offer any expectations. There is a very clear and distinct line. The very same respect I give to random strangers I meet. It is not the norm to hug and kiss strangers, no matter how well you might get along for 5 minutes. In return, I never want that to happen to me either! How could I expect the opposite from Chris?

Darren is treating a very fine line. He should be careful. He may be totally innocent and just wants to interact with his fans, but one story can ruin his reputation. No matter if this story is actually false/true. Of course I cannot tell Darren how to interact with his fans and as a fan it must be great that he is so accessible. But to be honest, looking at the pictures, it is a trainwreck that is just about to happen. People will see and judge those pictures. It may get him some more fans, but I also believe there will be people who will strart to regard him suspiciously. I really think this behavior will damage him and his career. At least it is not my problem, as I am no fan of his.

Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 6/19/2013, 4:10 am

ColferInspired wrote:
arina wrote:

Then why didn't he have a simple meet and greet, without the VIP attached to it?

Or is getting as much money out of your fans more important than them just meeting you?

Don't fans deserve to meet you for free, after they spent money on the ticket, and to get there?

That's just how business works. Everything is about money and profit. Even if Darren wanted to meet his fans for free his managers would never allow it.

That's one of the things I didn't like about Chris' book signings too. I'm sure almost all of the fans who went to see Chris already had a copy of his books at home, but in order to meet him and have their books signed they all had to buy new ones and only from the store the signing was held.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 6/19/2013, 4:15 am

Yes, it was a business decision. To be frank, in case Chris ever does a concert tour and offers Meet & Greet tickets, I am 99,9% sure he’d also charge for them. It is otherwise wasted revenue.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 6/19/2013, 4:29 am

sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
arina wrote:

That's just how business works. Everything is about money and profit. Even if Darren wanted to meet his fans for free his managers would never allow it.

That's one of the things I didn't like about Chris' book signings too. I'm sure almost all of the fans who went to see Chris already had a copy of his books at home, but in order to meet him and have their books signed they all had to buy new ones and only from the store the signing was held.

Chris did sign copies of SBL journal at the Premiere, there are pics to prove it.

Plus, some took their TLOS books and got those signed at the book signing in France and some bought their own TLOS books with them and SBL and got them signed as well as buying the paper back at both signings.

Again there are pics to prove this.

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 6/19/2013, 4:35 am

Yeah, but the condition to be allowed to attend the signing was to buy one book at that particular store... Every store has different conditions, I think last years some of the stores allowed fans to bring their own books and some demanded them book in their stores. It's really unfair to the fans but i understand the stores want profit from it.

And I don't find that weird to buy more expensive ticket for meet and greet. You buy ticket for the concert, the meet and greet is something extra, if it wasn't charged at all, all the fans would want to do that and I cannot imagine him talking and posing with every single fan.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 6/19/2013, 4:42 am

ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
arina wrote:

Chris did sign copies of SBL journal at the Premiere, there are pics to prove it.

Plus, some took their TLOS books and got those signed at the book signing in France and some bought their own TLOS books with them and SBL and got them signed as well as buying the paper back at both signings.

Again there are pics to prove this.

I was talking about the book signing in Kent. As Arina said buying the book from Bluewaterstones was one the conditions to meet Chris. I'm sure it was the store's decision not Chris'.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 6/19/2013, 4:55 am

In Kent they just checked the receipt, but I think I saw some pictures and mentions about Chris signing someones ARC?

I really understand bookstores wanting you to buy a book from their stocks but sometimes I do find it annoying that after you bought the book you can't be allowed to have your own signed even if you would stick to the three book limit. Bookstore pays some of the expences for the author so they have some say in it.

As for these VIP concert things...I've never been a big enough fan to have the need to go for a VIP package, they are expensive and I'd feel like I'd have "bought" a piece of the artist for me. I'm content with going to the concert, seeing the artist and that's it. I kept wondering if I'd even hang out at a stage door or a book store signing queue for hours just to see someone? Probably not.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 6/19/2013, 5:00 am

Lottie2303 wrote:Yes, it was a business decision. To be frank, in case Chris ever does a concert tour and offers Meet & Greet tickets, I am 99,9% sure he’d also charge for them. It is otherwise wasted revenue.

They had SBL sunglasses at the Tribeca festival SBL Premiere last year for free.

They had tote bags at the TLOS signing last year for free.

But the fact is I doubt Chris would ever do a concert tour.

And at the French SBL Premiere they had gift bags for free. As again there are pics, though I didn't save those as they didn't have Chris in them.

Though I know that a concert tour costs money, so I can give them lee way there. It wasn't stadiums.

You have to pay for fuel for the tour bus, the musicians, the promoters, the venues, so cost does build up. They probably had to hire the tour bus.

Chris didn't go all over the country just Paris and London. Plus those book stores last year weren't all over the country, so they can afford to give freebies to fans as there wouldn't have any excess costs involved. Same with SBL at Tribeca.

I think I just argued myself out of the argument. Razz

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  glimmerle 6/19/2013, 5:14 am

Bookstores are no welfare institutions. Of course they want to make profit out of hosting such an event (after all they have to carry the expenses for it as well). That wouldn't happen if everyone just brought the books they bought at some other bookstore, maybe even from a competitor, or merchandise and random stuff unrelated to the book. 
In Bluewater they didn't seem to be very strict about that rule, though. I read a report from a fan who got her dutch TLOS copy signed and Chris seemed to be excited to see a foreign language edition of his book.
glimmerle
glimmerle
Llama
Llama

http://glimmerle.tumblr.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 6/19/2013, 5:22 am

glimmerle wrote:Bookstores are no welfare institutions. Of course they want to make profit out of hosting such an event (after all they have to carry the expenses for it as well). That wouldn't happen if everyone just brought the books they bought at some other bookstore, maybe even from a competitor, or merchandise and random stuff unrelated to the book. 
In Bluewater they didn't seem to be very strict about that rule, though. I read a report from a fan who got her dutch TLOS copy signed and Chris seemed to be excited to see a foreign language edition of his book.

There were pics attached to her story and the look on his face was so wonderful to see. He was generally surprised and excited.

I don't think he is aware how popular this book has and is becoming. I am sure it still blows his mind.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 6/19/2013, 8:54 am

I think there is a big difference between meeting 700(!) fans (when the limit was 500, and someone of the store said that most authors don't sign more than 300-350 books) during a signing session, leaving 99% of your fans with the feeling that for a brief moment they really connected and had your attention, all done for only the price of travel and hotel expenses for the author,... and letting only a select few of your fans pay $200+ for a 3 minute meet & greet, after they also had to buy tickets for the concert.

Chris can't control the conditions the book stores make towards the fans, although reports show that he bend the rules and also signed books that weren't bought at the store.
And to me it seems only logical that when a book store pays for the travel and hotel of an author, organizes staff and security to coordinate the event, maybe even letting them work outside of shopping hours, and set up a queue, posters and signing table in the store, that they would want to get some money return for that by letting people buy a book in their store. They are not a charity organization after all.
LBR: we're talking about books (SBL paperback and TLoS1 hardcover) that cost little over 5 english pounds (about 8-9 dollars). I want to bet that all of the fans that went to the signings spent more money on travelling, parking and probably burgers and beverages at the local fast food restaurant.

And of course it's all about the money in showbizz, so I can understand that Darren's team wants to make as much money from his tour as possible, because tours are expensive, and as his fans are willing to pay the money for the VIP packet I'd say get it from them while it lasts, Darren.
But let's not pretend that Darren is an unwilling and powerless puppet of his managers as some of his fans tend to believe (just like him asking a girl on stage during a song may not have been his own idea but his management are not twisting his arm or holding a gun to his head to do it either), and Darren himself had to agree on the price of the VIP meet & greet tickets.

Again: it's showbizz and making money out of your fans is fine, but don't presume for one iota of a second that Darren is doing these VIP meet & greets just because he loves his fans and wants to get to know them better.
And although I'm sure Chris does these signings and movie q&a's to get more publicity and sales for his projects, he at least tries to reach as many as fans as possible and has showed up for both the SBL q&a's and the book signings for free, giving up his spare time and having had to travel to the stores and movie theatres for only that purpose.

Last edited by Glorfindel on 6/19/2013, 10:22 am; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 6/19/2013, 9:09 am

Coming back to behaviour between celebrities and fans. When you look at this video in which Chris takes a few photos with some fans, you can see his french security guard taking the hand/wrist of the fans who pull in Chris for a pic and lifting it off from Chris' back (at 0.23 and 0.27). 
Maybe it's just a security measure (in case someone would hide a knife or something in their hand), but for some reason I kinda like it. There are definitely boundaries set by either Chris or his team (probably it's a combination of both).

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 6/19/2013, 9:15 am

I don't know maybe I am naive but I truly don't see Darren as someone who like to takes more money from his fans than necessarry. Especially considering I have never seen celebrity who would spend more time with fans than him. When I see on the tumblr I follow the amount of daily reports about him meeting fans and chatting with them (outside for free) I truly wonder if he even has time for anything else. But of course that is only my interpretation who know what the reality is.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 6/19/2013, 9:16 am

Glorfindel wrote:Coming back to behaviour between celebrities and fans. When you look at this video in which Chris takes a few photos with some fans, you can see his french security guard taking the hand/wrist of the fans who pull in Chris for a pic and lifting it off from Chris' back (at 0.23 and 0.27). 
Maybe it's just a security measure (in case someone would hide a knife or something in their hand), but for some reason I kinda like it. There are definitely boundaries set by either Chris or his team (probably it's a combination of both).

I actually thought when I saw it it was kinda mean from that security guy to do it to that girl. It did not occur to me it could be because of hiding a knife or something like that.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 6/19/2013, 9:26 am

Coming back to behaviour between celebrities and fans. When you look at this video in which Chris takes a few photos with some fans, you can see his french security guard taking the hand/wrist of the fans who pull in Chris for a pic and lifting it off from Chris' back (at 0.23 and 0.27). 

I think Chris is very wary of fans and crowds. I remember his Piers Morgan interview where he recounts how he was mobbed when going to the movies on his own, and what I got from this interview was that it had really left a mark on him (having to call the police, being covered with bruises the next day). It was a real bad experience for him, thus I get why he would have a security reactive to any single unusual move, to avoid any other event of the sort

Last edited by coxfire on 6/19/2013, 9:52 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Spelling, goddammit)
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 6/19/2013, 9:37 am

I don't really knock Darren for having the meet and greets either.  It would be impossible for him to meet everyone who attends a concert afterwards.  I guess it's just an opportunity for people who have the money, and the desire to spend money to meet him to have that opportunity.  There aren't very many people I would spend $50 or $100 or $200 or whatever to meet (not even for Chris).  I think I just value my money more than I would a few minutes with some celebrity.  I'd rather put the money towards better seats for the show, or a nice dinner.  But to each their own.

As for book signings, that is a totally different thing, and not something that can be really compared to what Darren is doing.  Book stores are about promoting the book, and getting people into the stores (in hopes that some of the people attending purchase more books, CDs, etc.) while they are there.  It is common that book sellers would require that you purchase the book at the event because they ultimately are in it to make money from the event, and they host those events to bring people into the stores to buy stuff there. 

There isn't much you can get for free these days Wink

@colferinspired, regarding the sunglasses at the SBL screenings, and the tote bags for TLOS, those are really just relatively inexpensive promotional items.  Those sunglasses probably cost about a dollar a pair, plus another $100 for set up and shipping.  So, for about $500, they gave out a little promotional item that served to either make fans happy or perhaps have people seeing someone wearing them ask "What's SBL?"  Same with the tote bag--it's a cheap way to get people to see the book cover and the author name.  Just promotional items.

Selling merchandise at concerts has been something that has happened at concerts for decades.  It's a way to help artists make money because touring and merchandise is really where artists make money (not on the actual sale of the music).  The more revenue a show brings in, the bigger the show can be. Some fans just want memories from the show, so they buy shirts, programs, whatever.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 6/19/2013, 9:41 am

That movie theatre story was scary and who knows if it is even his scariest experience :(. I know he had the tightest security during the Glee tour and I don't think any of his castmates travel so often with bodyguard as he does (and I doubt he has him just because he doesn't know what to do with his money). Who knows what is happening behind the scene, sometimes it really scares me. I want Chris to continue be succesful and to be able to do all of his projects, on the other hand I would love less craziness around him so he did not have to feel insecure and was able to enjoy traveling without bodyguard.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 6/19/2013, 10:36 am

arina wrote:I don't know maybe I am naive but I truly don't see Darren as someone who like to takes more money from his fans than necessarry. Especially considering I have never seen celebrity who would spend more time with fans than him. When I see on the tumblr I follow the amount of daily reports about him meeting fans and chatting with them (outside for free) I truly wonder if he even has time for anything else. But of course that is only my interpretation who know what the reality is.
Oh, I'm sure Darren likes interacting with his fans, and he's not hating it or doing it solely for the money.
I just don't buy the whole martyr attitude I see on tumblr and elsewhere of Darren having purely altruistic reasons for meeting his fans because he simply loves them so much, and the speculation of him not liking the high prices for the VIP packet but being forced by his team to ask them (as I have seen grumbling about the high costs by his fans).

Darren clearly likes the attention of his fans and he gives them what they want (sometimes when it's not appropiate to do so), even outside those VIP meet & greets, partly because he's grateful to them, but definitely also partly because they are his meal ticket (and there's nothing basically wrong with that).
However: if I had just paid 200+ dollars for a 3 minute VIP meeting and then I would see Darren give the same attention or even more to fans who simply waited outside the venue or his hotel I'd be pretty pissed. If you charge a lot of dollars for the attention of a celibrity you should keep that level of attention exclusive for the ones willing to pay that cash, and not give it to others for free.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 6/19/2013, 11:57 am

Fan interaction with celebrities is a whole universe onto itself.

One of the best celebrities  IMO with a genuine appreciation for his fans is  Bruce Springsteen, he would put on 3 + hourly concerts, even losing 5 pounds and more with the effort of every show.  He would say that the fans had paid good money to see him perform and he owed it to them to put his maximum effort each and every night.

Paul Newman rarely signed autographs, saying his private life was his even if recognized.

There is no magic formula nor is there one "right" or "wrong" way to treat fans.  I will say the comfort level has to be mutual regardless.  If Darren is fine with the level of intimacy he gets with his fans I'm OK with that, no skin off my nose.

The only thing that raises my eyebrows is when the Darren Stans interpret actions that are self indulgent as proof how Darren is so much better than other celebs , such as when he instigated a "Starkids" singalong after at the stage door of the Broadway show "How to
Succeed" which inconvenienced others, including security , street traffic and his fellow actors.  Or ignoring pleas from the organizers to stay on schedule at the Upfronts while he signed and intermingled with his fans delaying others entries and exits from the public area. (If every celebrity had done what he did the schedule would have been in shambles)  Darren does these things and his fans (understandably) love it, but it is self indulgent and inconsiderate to others even if he is genuinely sincere.  It doesn't make him "better" that's all.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 6/19/2013, 1:05 pm

DC is not outing his own pocket to organize these concerts. There are people - musical promoters/concert organizers who do that, and they pretty much set the rules as well as pricing. They are there to invest and make money. If they can't sell enough tickets it's their loss. DC will only get part of the proceeds. For him, making fans happy is worth the loss of some small revenue because these fans will help him w/ all the future projects too.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 40 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 25 ... 40  Next