Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

+28
sahhar
TimF
AnneNeville
colfhummel
rooszie
Delight
SippyCupofLuv
tanita_mors
Buenos
Ireth
coxfire
arina
ChrisColferFan1
Lottie2303
opals
Ranwing
Divalicious
glimmerle
Jellyrolls
valkeakuulas
brisallie
MoviesAreLife
Glorfindel
sheny
ColferGirl
ColferInspired
bayth
fantastica
32 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2 - Page 20 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Divalicious 4/23/2013, 1:15 pm

It's because the same people get the majority of the songs, and occasionally you might need to hear something different. Also, in the first year especially, the songs were used to enhance the story, now the story just sets up a song. You don't get as emotionally invested anymore.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2 - Page 20 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2

Post  Glorfindel 4/23/2013, 2:51 pm

The best selling song of season 4 doesn't even come close in sales numbers as the #10 of all 3 previous seasons. moque

Also: in those 40 songs there are only 3 Blaine solos, and 1 of them is a repeat of his best selling solo (Teenage Dream). Rolling Eyes
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/23/2013, 3:36 pm

The Itunes sells are really downhill. And if only 3 songs of Blaine have sold very well,why is he still signing so much? I blame Ryan for this. It was mentioned on Inside the Actors Studio that he's the onr who chooses the songs.

Btw, what it means 600k?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/23/2013, 4:13 pm

600k is 600 kilo (thousand). 600x1000 = 600,000

neutre
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/23/2013, 5:00 pm

fantastica wrote:600k is 600 kilo (thousand). 600x1000 = 600,000

neutre

Thanks. Since I saw it on twitter,that I wondered what it was.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/25/2013, 12:11 pm

The beautiful thing about Glee is that we can see this group of young people become (somewhat) triple threats. It's like a performing arts bootcamp (Fame! Wink ) and it's so nice to see the cast members improve over the years on their weaker skills. I love how it's a patchwork of different talent levels and abilities. You've got the singers (Lea, Amber, Naya, Kevin, Chris, Jenna), you've got the dancers (Kevin, Harry, Heather) and the actors (Chris, Lea...who else stood out in season one?) even the musicians (Kevin, Cory, Darren). And through the years, we've seen:

-Dianna improve SO MUCH on her singing and acting.

-Chris improve on his dancing and even on his vocal range.

-Cory improve on his singing and acting.

-Naya improve on her singing range and be given a storyline to shine in.

-Heather improve on her singing and even acting (Shooting Star), though she will always be a dancer first.

Even Lea, who started off one of the stronger singers, as improved on her singing range. Listen to "On My Own" from the pilot and compare it with something more recent. WOW! And Chris...no words to describe how amazing he is.

As for Smash, I hated almost every character in that show last season. EVERYONE was so obnoxious. I especially hated that twat Ivy. I kind of wanted her to OD on those pills last season. The only character I liked (liked, not loved) was Karen, and she was boring. That being said, Megan is amazing. Incredible singer and a wonderful actress. I'm shocked that she didn't get a major award nominated at least for her work as Ivy.

Everyone is so much better (less obnoxious) this season, and Ana is a great addition to the cast. Jimmy is annoying, though. I actually like Tom this season. Christian Borle must play Jonathan Larson in a biopic (or even in "Tick,Tick...BOOM!") someday soon. He looks like him, he can sing, and he is a talented pianist.

I actually like Ivy this season too. Instead of lashing out, she's actually focusing on her dreams again and accomplishing them. I'm proud of her now, and I LOATHED her last season. But it's nice that they changed her from a broken, self destrutive individual who was also destructive to those around her ("How can I mess with Karen's head today?") to someone who is geniunely climbing that success ladder without having to sandbag others. They gave her something else to focus on rather than being a twat: her career.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 4/25/2013, 12:35 pm

ETA: I agree that the performers have improved in the ways you have pointed out above. HOWEVER--

Original Post begins here:

Personally, I am not sure that all the performers have improved all that much, considering that four years have passed.

I don't find Lea's voice to be better now than it was pre-Glee--just more belty and gimmicky. It seems less flexible to me (Note: I am not a voice person, I am not a singer). And has she (or Naya, for example) improved substantially as a dancer? Enough to support the idea that they are viable NYADA students?

In fact, the NYADA scenes that have featured Lea and Naya dancing have made it painfully obvious to me that they are not good dancers. I would have thought that they'd have MORE polish after three+ years on the show. But . . . I guess that there is little time in the production schedule for dance training.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/25/2013, 12:57 pm

Really? Because it almost sounded like she was straining a little bit on some of the belty, higher notes on "On My Own", as beautifully as she sang it. Now? It sounds like the sky is the limit for her voice. Also, is it just me...or has Lea developed a slight rasp to her tone? Don't get me wrong, it's still crystal clear...but I noticed a slight rasp to some of her notes now...first in "We've Got Tonight" and a little bit in her "Don't Stop Believin'" audition.

And not all of the cast members have improved on all three or four of the performances skills. moque I was just giving some examples. Is Dianna an amazing dancer? She's okay. I still think Cory cannot dance. And Jenna, bless her heart, is still hit and miss when it comes to acting. Lea still cannot dance, either.

But I never thought Naya was a bad dancer. Sure, she's more of a stripper type of dancer with that "Cold Hearted Snake" number, but she actually did dance a little bit in the Sancedes number "River Deep, Mountain High". She was adorkable as a dancer. Not bad, just goofy...a little like a Charlie Brown dancer. But she still had rhythm in the way she moved her body. She wasn't awful. She reminds me a bit of Chris now as a dancer. Not awful (anymore...LOL!) but no professional.

Also, I think Jenna has hidden talent as a dancer. She can move, she just doesn't get the chance to do so anymore.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 4/25/2013, 1:22 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:But I never thought Naya was a bad dancer. Sure, she's more of a stripper type of dancer with that "Cold Hearted Snake" number, but she actually did dance a little bit in the Sancedes number "River Deep, Mountain High". She was adorkable as a dancer. Not bad, just goofy...a little like a Charlie Brown dancer. But she still had rhythm in the way she moved her body. She wasn't awful. She reminds me a bit of Chris now as a dancer. Not awful (anymore...LOL!) but no professional.

What I saw in that number was rather dim lighting and a lot of backup dancers. Kind of like when Rachel did her dance-off, there were a lot of bells and whistles to distract us from whether she was dancing well or not. There was a lot of climbing up and down and sliding down poles (as I recall) but very little sustained dancing by Santana . . .

I haven't gone through and compared dancing performances, to tell the truth, so I can't really comment on her dancing in River Deep, Mountain High.

I guess my point about improvements in the performers is that I would have thought I'd see *more* growth in the movement arena, considering all the choreography the originals had to do (the newbies haven't had much, comparatively).

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/25/2013, 1:33 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:But I never thought Naya was a bad dancer. Sure, she's more of a stripper type of dancer with that "Cold Hearted Snake" number, but she actually did dance a little bit in the Sancedes number "River Deep, Mountain High". She was adorkable as a dancer. Not bad, just goofy...a little like a Charlie Brown dancer. But she still had rhythm in the way she moved her body. She wasn't awful. She reminds me a bit of Chris now as a dancer. Not awful (anymore...LOL!) but no professional.

What I saw in that number was rather dim lighting and a lot of backup dancers. Kind of like when Rachel did her dance-off, there were a lot of bells and whistles to distract us from whether she was dancing well or not. There was a lot of climbing up and down and sliding down poles (as I recall) but very little sustained dancing by Santana . . .

I haven't gone through and compared dancing performances, to tell the truth, so I can't really comment on her dancing in River Deep, Mountain High.

I guess my point about improvements in the performers is that I would have thought I'd see *more* growth in the movement arena, considering all the choreography the originals had to do (the newbies haven't had much, comparatively).

It was more about the sex appeal and less about actually dancing, just like Lea's number. But she did impress me with that split...and I did think she moved just a little bit more than Lea did in her "Oops" number. Watch the "River Deep, Mountain High" number and tell me what you think! Smile

I guess it's a thing of choreography...maybe she was choreographed to be stripper-like in that song, and less of a legit dancer? Also, maybe dancing does get the least amount of focus and rehearsals on the show? Everyone has to act a little and sing a little...but dancing is more optional and taken care of by the professionals (Kevin, Harry, Heather). That being said, I think Jenna and Chris move well. Actually, Darren moves well also.

Speaking of bad dancers! LMFAO!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2SGwdHTKr8

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 4/25/2013, 2:53 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
Speaking of bad dancers! LMFAO!: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-2SGwdHTKr8

Laughing

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/25/2013, 4:27 pm

My favorite is the "ruby slipper vulture shuffle". LMFAO! Where do they come up with those names?! Laughing

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/25/2013, 4:59 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:Also, I think Jenna has hidden talent as a dancer. She can move, she just doesn't get the chance to do so anymore.
Jenna is the best female dancer after Heather. She wasn't in 'Single Ladies' by accident. fanny2
I'd say Dianna is next, then Naya, Amber, and finally Lea. (only counting the original kids)

AnneNeville wrote:I guess my point about improvements in the performers is that I would have thought I'd see *more* growth in the movement arena, considering all the choreography the originals had to do (the newbies haven't had much, comparatively).
But you have to take into account that they used to rehearse their dances for days back in season 1 (and they needed it as many of them were inexperienced dancers). But nowadays (at the latest from season 3 on, but maybe even earlier) they sometimes only got 2 hours of choreography rehearsals before they had to film a dance number. That's ridiculous. ohmy Noone can perform welll under those circumstances besides perhaps the professionals like Harry, Heather and Matt: the movements can't be embedded in the body memory in such a short time. But still most of them managed fine, considering the lack of rehearsal time, and they were supposed to be kids in high school anyway, so a bit stiff dancing is okay.

I think that if Chris, Darren and Naya would get better and longer rehearsing time to really get the movements 'in their system' they would do much better in their dances.
And I also think that Cory improved his dancing over the years: he's still a horrible dancer, but at least he doesn't look like a stiff Frankenteen anymore. moque
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/25/2013, 5:52 pm

More info on the song sales.
Original songs, iTunes sales in its first week:

Season 2:
- Loser Like Me - 210.000+
- Get It Right - 151.000+

Season 4:
- You Have More Friends Than You Know - 10.607
- Outcast - 11.347
ONTD_Glee
That's less than a 10th of what the songs used to sell. moque

BTW: the 3th version of 'Don't Stop Believing' only sold +9.000
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/25/2013, 8:25 pm

it's not only the veining popularity that is the problem for glee. there are these things called "itunes rips". that is how i get all glee music. why waste money on a mostly mediocre product at best. from what i gather people only download the stuff they love, and the production and singing quality has diminished not to mention the over saturation with people most viewers obviously could care less about.

look at this week. there very a few decent numbers and i was very impressed with jane's progress - her voice sound so strong and much better without all that processing like in vogue and phisical, but not a single on of them is going on my mp3/phone. all of them were a bunch of meh to be honest. at the ballet is far to show centric for me and i found it hard to connect the lyrics with the singers. the vocal was good for the most part. the 2 kevin numbers were obviously great but i'm not hooked. the rest was kind of there but no more then that. really boring week of music, even with queen in the mix.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/25/2013, 8:31 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:Also, I think Jenna has hidden talent as a dancer. She can move, she just doesn't get the chance to do so anymore.
Jenna is the best female dancer after Heather. She wasn't in 'Single Ladies' by accident. fanny2
I'd say Dianna is next, then Naya, Amber, and finally Lea. (only counting the original kids)

AnneNeville wrote:I guess my point about improvements in the performers is that I would have thought I'd see *more* growth in the movement arena, considering all the choreography the originals had to do (the newbies haven't had much, comparatively).
But you have to take into account that they used to rehearse their dances for days back in season 1 (and they needed it as many of them were inexperienced dancers). But nowadays (at the latest from season 3 on, but maybe even earlier) they sometimes only got 2 hours of choreography rehearsals before they had to film a dance number. That's ridiculous. ohmy Noone can perform welll under those circumstances besides perhaps the professionals like Harry, Heather and Matt: the movements can't be embedded in the body memory in such a short time. But still most of them managed fine, considering the lack of rehearsal time, and they were supposed to be kids in high school anyway, so a bit stiff dancing is okay.

I think that if Chris, Darren and Naya would get better and longer rehearsing time to really get the movements 'in their system' they would do much better in their dances.
And I also think that Cory improved his dancing over the years: he's still a horrible dancer, but at least he doesn't look like a stiff Frankenteen anymore. moque

Jenna really impressed me in the "Ice Ice Baby" number keeping up with Heather, Harry and Matt. I saw an old clip from season one and I was blown away. And can Dianna really dance? Because other than the fast, fancy footwork in "Control", I've never really seen anything amazing out of her...and the editing and cutting during that scene was so fast, it was hard to just focus on one person to see how they are doing. How would you rank the boys? I'd place Harry, Kevin and Matt at the top...Cory on the bottom. Not sure where everyone else would fit. Jake is amazing, but I'm just focusing on the originals for now. I'd play Darren just below Harry, Kevin and Matt...he is actually quite good. I'm confused where to place Chris. Sometimes, he is as bad as Cory ( Laughing ) especially when he's freestyle (like dancing at the club in between Sebastian and Blaine) but other times, especially if given choreography, he's better than I expected...like keeping up with Harry and Matt in the "Singing In The Rain/Umbrella" number...then again, that might be the magic of editing.

And going back to Jake, I just realized how talented the newbies are. I kind of feel bad now wishing them out of a job (cutting MK). We've got some great dancers (Kitty, Jake), great singers (Marley, Unique) a good actor (Ryder) and so on. They all seem like talented, nice young people. Maybe Glee should be split into two shows....MK for those who want it, and NYC for us who want it. After all, it's not their fault they can't connect to the audience the way the originals did...that's a high bar to reach. The writing is lackluster, and they will always be in the original's shadows.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/25/2013, 10:17 pm

@MoviesareLife, you're making me feel bad for the newbies :( I'm agree those kids are actually talented, and if I put aside my dislike for their plain characters, I wish them to success in this biz.

As regard best dancers, my top four are definetely Matt,Harry, Heather and Kevin. And speaking of the rest of the cast, first I've to say that I appreciate someone who without being a killer dancer, still can follow a coreography quite well and then perform it graciously in front of the audience. I simply don't want to see someone dancing like a robot or franketeen (Sorry Cory). And after said that, I think most of the cast fits in my standard, but ones are better than others.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/26/2013, 9:41 am

MoviesAreLife wrote:How would you rank the boys? I'd place Harry, Kevin and Matt at the top...Cory on the bottom. Not sure where everyone else would fit. Jake is amazing, but I'm just focusing on the originals for now. I'd play Darren just below Harry, Kevin and Matt...he is actually quite good. I'm confused where to place Chris. Sometimes, he is as bad as Cory ( Laughing ) especially when he's freestyle (like dancing at the club in between Sebastian and Blaine) but other times, especially if given choreography, he's better than I expected...like keeping up with Harry and Matt in the "Singing In The Rain/Umbrella" number...then again, that might be the magic of editing.
The (original) guys I would rank like this: Harry, Kevin, Darren and Chris, Mark, Cory and Chord.
I think Chord is a worse dancer than Cory, tbh. At least Cory really tried to follow the choreography but his long limbs and slow dancing brain got in the way, and he had his own dorky but charming style to excuse the bad moves. Razz Whereas I think that Chord just can't dance at all and constantly needs to look at what he's doing to not get his arms and legs in a knot. moque

Chris does very well with choreography, and I think he invented the awkward Kurt style of dancing deliberately for his character. Elegant he is not uhuhu, but at least he's flexible.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/26/2013, 12:13 pm

I don't know absolutely nothing about dancing (and I personally think I dance like Cory or worse :-D) but when I watch the choreography to me it always seems Chris is too late with his moves or too early than the majority. And his freestyle is truly...interesting :-D
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/26/2013, 12:39 pm

arina wrote:I don't know absolutely nothing about dancing (and I personally think I dance like Cory or worse :-D) but when I watch the choreography to me it always seems Chris is too late with his moves or too early than the majority. And his freestyle is truly...interesting :-D
Maybe that's because (as a Kurtsie) you focus on Chris a lot in the dance scenes? Because when I rewind these performances I see all the guys (except Harry and Kevin) and occasionally the girls slip up a lot, missing movements or being too late or early. Which is no wonder when you consider the tight schedule and the little rehearsal time.
But I agree that Chris is not the best dancer out there, although he's not the worst either. And he nailed 'Single Ladies' during the tour.

His freestyle as Kurt is awkwardly nerdishly adorable. Razz
I would like to see him dancing as Chris one day, to do a comparison. neutre
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/26/2013, 1:23 pm

I actually am not that sure it's not Chris's real dancing :-)

And you're right that I focus mainly on Kurt.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 4/26/2013, 9:32 pm

Cory tweeted today:

Edited to change. I guess he is really out. He looks good:

General Glee Discussion Thread-Part 2 - Page 20 Rs_634x1024-130426112412-634.4cory.lea.ls.42613

Source
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/27/2013, 12:05 am

I've got a bad feeling about this. He was in rehab for less than one month. How come people can't grasp the fact that a serious problem like addiction needs to be taken seriously?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 4/27/2013, 12:07 am

Glorfindel wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:How would you rank the boys? I'd place Harry, Kevin and Matt at the top...Cory on the bottom. Not sure where everyone else would fit. Jake is amazing, but I'm just focusing on the originals for now. I'd play Darren just below Harry, Kevin and Matt...he is actually quite good. I'm confused where to place Chris. Sometimes, he is as bad as Cory ( Laughing ) especially when he's freestyle (like dancing at the club in between Sebastian and Blaine) but other times, especially if given choreography, he's better than I expected...like keeping up with Harry and Matt in the "Singing In The Rain/Umbrella" number...then again, that might be the magic of editing.
The (original) guys I would rank like this: Harry, Kevin, Darren and Chris, Mark, Cory and Chord.
I think Chord is a worse dancer than Cory, tbh. At least Cory really tried to follow the choreography but his long limbs and slow dancing brain got in the way, and he had his own dorky but charming style to excuse the bad moves. Razz Whereas I think that Chord just can't dance at all and constantly needs to look at what he's doing to not get his arms and legs in a knot. moque

Chris does very well with choreography, and I think he invented the awkward Kurt style of dancing deliberately for his character. Elegant he is not uhuhu, but at least he's flexible.

You know that saying "Howling with laughter"? Well, I did when he danced in the bar in TFT. I'm sure he was doing it on purpose. No one dances like that in real life! LOL! Laughing But he has moments where he is quite good also.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 4/27/2013, 12:12 am

MoviesAreLife wrote:I've got a bad feeling about this. He was in rehab for less than one month. How come people can't grasp the fact that a serious problem like addiction needs to be taken seriously?

I don't know much about rehab, but a month does seem like very little time. ETA -- looks like 28-30 days is common for "short term" stints in rehab.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next