Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

+28
fountain
sheny
M&M
ladydianab
MissSoniaPP
Piciollina
sahhar
tamara04
Eaton2011
ChrisColferFan1
zuppid
Ranwing
BlueJazz
Delight
Sani
ColferInspired
ColferGirl
valkeakuulas
fantastica
tanita_mors
brisallie
arina
msjoanlucette
FunnyLady
Divalicious
Ireth
happydays
Glorfindel
32 posters

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Empty Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  sheny 11/14/2012, 3:50 am

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mdgc484qVa1qe476yo1_500

A tweet from Christopher Gorham bounce

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Empty Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Divalicious 11/15/2012, 3:12 pm

I just received my audiobook, I work tonight, but hope to listen this weekend,

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/16/2012, 9:21 pm

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mdlqwePrB21qe476yo1_500

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mdlr3n0LT81qe476yo1_500
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/16/2012, 9:24 pm

Hear a clip and read an excerpt from Chris Colfer's 'Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal" -- EXCLUSIVE
by Tara Fowler

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Chris-Colfer_612x379
Chris-Colfer

Chris Colfer is a busy man. Between making movies and playing Kurt Hummel on Glee, it’s a wonder he’s found any time at all to pursue a writing career. And yet, the 22-year-old is getting ready to release his second novel of the year next week.

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal follows Carson Phillips, a high school outcast who blackmails his peers into participating in his literary magazine. It’s already been filmed as a movie starring Christina Hendricks, Rebel Wilson and Colfer himself. Though the film won’t be out until next year, the book hits shelves on Nov. 20. Colfer took the time to talk to EW about his first young adult novel, his own high school experiences and that one time he dabbled in extortion himself. Read the interview below and check out an exclusive print excerpt and audio clip from Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal afterwards!

ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: What made you want to write a YA book? It started as a screenplay, right?
CHRIS COLFER: Right. It was actually my publisher’s idea. I had my first novel The Land of Stories come out this year and they were invited to one of my first screenings of the [Struck by Lightning] film and they fell in love with it. So they asked me if I would ever want to adapt it into a novel. I really thought about it because I wasn’t sure if I could pull off a generic novel about the story, but then I came up with the idea of writing it as his journal.

I don’t want to say this was inspired by your life, but I did notice some similarities between you and Carson.
It really is not quite as autobiographical as it may seem. There were many elements that I did base it off of my own experiences of adolescence. I had to publish a literary magazine every year and it was one of the hardest things I ever had to do. Getting kids to write and inspiring them to write something other than a Facebook post was really, really challenging.

Did you blackmail them to participate like Carson does?
[Laughs] I did not, not for the literary magazine. I kind of blackmailed my friend a little bit into being in my high school senior show. I wrote and directed a spoof of Sweeney Todd called Shirley Todd. No one wanted to be in that, so I had to blackmail [people] to be in that for me. But I never blackmailed people into being in the literary magazine. So, I kind of combined those two [experiences] together to make the story. But Carson and I are very different people. Carson is the person that I wish I was in high school. I was very much a victim in high school, and Carson, even though he gets bullied, he never lets himself be a victim because of it.

This was a very dark book in some ways, more so than I expected. Everything doesn’t get all tied up in a neat bow at the end.
Well you know, I think there might be more of a resolution in the movie, but I think his story is tragic for a reason. It’s supposed to teach a lesson. He spent so much time trying to accomplish something that the whole world was telling him that he couldn’t accomplish. I think that the bow at the end, if you will, is him realizing that as long as he’s trying to get there, he’s learning. Teenagers are really tough these days. If you’re going to give them a lesson, you really got to almost teach it in a brutally honest, morbid way.

Was it difficult to write in a journal voice?
For most of it, it was kind of fun. I got to dive back into all my teenage aggression. I took a walk down memory lane to remember how I felt about things and what my biggest frustrations were.

That must have been dark!
[Laughs] It’s a very dark place to go to. All those hormones. I don’t know how I walked down the street.

You’ve done a bit of everything these days. Do you have a favorite between film, books and TV?
I love writing something and then getting to portray it, like I did with the movie. As an actor, you don’t have any questions because everything you’re doing is from your creation. You don’t have to ask the director, “what would he say here, what do I do here?” You just know because it comes from your imagination. I do love writing novels. It’s the toughest thing I’ve ever had to do, but it’s also the most rewarding. There’s nothing like holding a book in your hands that you’ve written.
ew.com
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/20/2012, 4:57 pm

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mdsrqi3we41qgfb58o1_500

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mdsmsbjg0q1qgummfo1_500
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fountain 11/21/2012, 1:19 pm

So, for those who were lucky enough to get the SBL book, how is it so far? Also, are we going to have a book discussion like with TLOS? I really hope we do, it'll be a great way to compare the two different writing styles.

fountain
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 11/21/2012, 1:26 pm

fountain wrote:So, for those who were lucky enough to get the SBL book, how is it so far? Also, are we going to have a book discussion like with TLOS? I really hope we do, it'll be a great way to compare the two different writing styles.

I haven't gotten the book yet, but feel free to start a discussion thread for it.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 11/21/2012, 2:56 pm

I just got my copies today. Yep, copies, because yet again I managed not to notice the "2" in the amount column. As I refuse to send back a book written by Chris Colfer I will offer it up to someone on this board. I would prefer to send it to someone who would have difficulty obtaining the book, if there are any in this world market, otherwise it is up for grabs. No autograph, but its free and that is always nice. Let me know.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  msjoanlucette 11/22/2012, 3:45 am

I just wanted to say, that I'm going to the chris colfer signing on the 24th. :O. I just wanted to say that I wish it was everyone on this forum going with me instead of the people I'm actually going with, who actually don't like him that much. >.>
I'll try to post pictures but I don't have a camera so I'll probably get someone I know to do it for me.
msjoanlucette
msjoanlucette
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 11/22/2012, 4:00 am

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mduoknOJ3m1qh5dyro1_500
Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_mduoknOJ3m1qh5dyro2_500
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 11/22/2012, 4:03 am

msjoanlucette wrote:I just wanted to say, that I'm going to the chris colfer signing on the 24th. :O. I just wanted to say that I wish it was everyone on this forum going with me instead of the people I'm actually going with, who actually don't like him that much. >.>
I'll try to post pictures but I don't have a camera so I'll probably get someone I know to do it for me.

You are so lucky. Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 4247136565

Can't wait to hear what is was like meeting him. Hope you have a great time. Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 4247136565
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/22/2012, 10:07 am

My copy of the book and the audio cd arrived!!! panik

Now I know what to do instead of watching 'Dynamic Duets'. fanny2
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  indiaskye 11/22/2012, 10:21 am

I've already read the book - it's wonderfully sarcastic and full of dark, biting humor ... and it's so very Chris ... Razz

Just started listening to the audio book on my way to work this morning, and (just like with TLOS) that's even better just because of the way Chris narrates it!

I wish I could pay him to record audiobook versions of all my favorite books - although I suspect I'd never get anything done anymore then because all I'd do all day would be listen to Chris reading stories to me ... tonguue
indiaskye
indiaskye
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 11/22/2012, 12:32 pm

My book and audio book are supposed to arive on December 4th. I don't know how am I supposed to wait for sooo long :-). Still I cannot believe it's more than a year SBL was filmed and next month the lucky people are going to download it from iTunes. I am sorry I won't be one of them. Mad
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 11/22/2012, 2:06 pm

We'll get it BB, one way or the other. I'm sure of that. phr34r
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/23/2012, 10:11 pm

I don't have either the audiobook or the book , but I've read so good comments that I want it so badly.

Ok I've found this recording on tumblr, and my guess is that Chris is imitating Emilio. His spanish is so funny and cute wub

Chris speaning spanish

@Arina, so the audiobook is going to be available on Itunes?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/23/2012, 10:25 pm

^Chris speaking Spanish..... ole! coool

I converted the audiobook into mp3 format, so I can listen to it on my mp3 player whenever and wherever I want. hiphopa

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  indiaskye 11/24/2012, 7:32 am

I'm going to write a full review for this book soon (like I did for TLOS) but I don't even know where to start!!! Plus, I kinda want to quote half the book and that might be a problem ... fanny2
indiaskye
indiaskye
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 11/24/2012, 7:49 am

brisallie wrote:

@Arina, so the audiobook is going to be available on Itunes?
I don't know about the audiobook, I was talking about the movie. :-)
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 11/24/2012, 7:50 am

indiaskye wrote:I'm going to write a full review for this book soon (like I did for TLOS) but I don't even know where to start!!! Plus, I kinda want to quote half the book and that might be a problem ... fanny2
I am looking forward to that, I really enjoyed and agreed with most of the things you wrote about TLOS. :-)
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 11/26/2012, 1:36 am

I got my book today. I am so happy. Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 650269930

I haven't read it yet, but I will start reading it tonight.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 11/27/2012, 6:41 am

Thanks to a very kind poster from another Glee forum, SBL is in my hands right now. panik bounce
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 11/27/2012, 2:39 pm

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal - Page 5 Tumblr_me5olbxAhS1qh5dyro1_500

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 11/28/2012, 8:13 am

I commanded my copy on amazon today, and should get it by next week!

Now here is my dilemma: should I read it first, and then watch the movie knowing more about Carson's thoughts along the variuos scenes, or should I watch the movie first and then read the book to know deeper how Carson reacted to a particular scene...

Regarding the movie, it will be on VOD on Dec 19th in the US, but will it be also be the case for Europe? I don't think I can wait until it's European release and would like to watch it in Original Version (stupid French theaters always dub everything, at least in small towns like mine.... vomir ). To watch it OV, I could either buy the VOD, or download/stream it, and I don't want to do that. I want to bring my "contribution" to Chris (though he probably needs it less than me fanny2 ). Any of you has an idea?
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/28/2012, 10:56 am

That's a difficult question. I read the book first, because I'm not sure when I will be able to watch the movie either (as I live in the Netherlands and there's no cinema deal yet).

I can only speak for myself, but I am glad I read the book first. What I've seen from the movie so far (in the trailers) I didn't think that the movie would be something I would watch if it wasn't for Chris being in it. No offense, but in the trailers SBL looks like an average (although dark) teen movie. Of course, as a Chris fan, I know that Chris is a good writer, but still..... I had my doubts about the movie, as I'm not the target audience.

But having read the book I know there are many feelings and insights involved in this story, it's not just a simple blackmail scheme, and I suspect that the movie will also show those deeper layers to what Carson (and the others) will do. Chris is a wonderful storyteller, and having read his 2 books I wonder how he will do telling a story through film.

So reading the book first has given me more faith in the movie, and it's made me really excited for it. neutre

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next