Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

+28
fountain
sheny
M&M
ladydianab
MissSoniaPP
Piciollina
sahhar
tamara04
Eaton2011
ChrisColferFan1
zuppid
Ranwing
BlueJazz
Delight
Sani
ColferInspired
ColferGirl
valkeakuulas
fantastica
tanita_mors
brisallie
arina
msjoanlucette
FunnyLady
Divalicious
Ireth
happydays
Glorfindel
32 posters

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Empty Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Glorfindel 8/9/2012, 11:28 am

Chris Colfer to release his first young-adult novel 'Struck by Lightning'.

Chris Colfer to release his first young-adult novel 'Struck by Lightning'.
by Stephan Lee

After the success of his best-selling middle-grade novel The Land of Stories, Glee star Chris Colfer will be publishing his first young-adult novel on Nov. 20. The upcoming novel, titled Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal, will be a book adaptation of his movie by the same name, which will be released by Tribeca Film later this year.

Struck By Lightning follows the story of outcast high school senior Carson Phillips, who blackmails the most popular students in his school into contributing to his literary journal to bolster his college application; his goal in life is to get into Northwestern and eventually become the editor of The New Yorker. In addition to Colfer, the film stars Allison Janney, Christina Hendricks, Dermot Mulroney, Sarah Hyland, and Polly Bergen.

Are you excited for Colfer’s first book for teens?
source

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Fangirling-Kurt

Last edited by Delight on 10/21/2012, 8:16 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Changed title of thread)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Empty Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  happydays 8/9/2012, 12:25 pm

The news really surprised me for some reason... I wasn't expecting SBL to be turned into a novel. Or did I just miss the announcement in the past? Well, great for Chris, though I have no idea how he found time to write this. When??? His productivity never seizes to amaze me...

Anyway, I'm really excited. bounce But now there's a dilemma. Should I read the book or watch the movie first? I'm thinking since the film was made first (was it, though?), I'll see it and then read the novel. How about you guys? I'm also really curious what Chris thinks about the succession.
happydays
happydays
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Empty Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Ireth 8/9/2012, 1:54 pm

This is very exciting news! I know some people guessed his new book would be a novelisation of the movie, really good guesswork guys!

I think since the book is being released before the movie, it shouldn't matter if we read the book first?
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 8/9/2012, 2:00 pm

I think reading or seeing the movie first are both good options. Both are done with Chris' vision, and we already know he dies, so the rest is just enjoying Chris' acting choices, or writing choices. Both good. I also don't know how close the movie will come out to me, or if I need to watch in on VOD, and that isn't until December. It might be cool to read his vision, because not everything can make it into a movie, and "fill in" the spots.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady 8/9/2012, 2:18 pm

Really interesting news. I didn´t expect this.
I don´t think the book will be published before the movie come out, so we don´t have to solve the book/movie dilemma. But my opinion is to watch movie first, because everytime I read the book before the movie I was disappointed. It´s like Harry Potter. I am a huge fan of both - books and movies, but the movies can never reach the quality and completeness of the books.
FunnyLady
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/9/2012, 2:20 pm

New article:

Glee's Chris Colfer's YA Novel Based on His Film Due in Nov

Glee's Chris Colfer, has a YA novel coming in Nov., based off of Struck by Lighting, the indie film he wrote and stars in.

Little Brown Books for Young Readers announced today.

The book will be released on Nov. 20. The film is also scheduled to hit theaters later this year.

The YA novel follows on the heels of Colfer's just-published children's book The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, which debuted at no. 1 on The New York Times Children's Chapter Books bestseller list.

The novel, Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal, is not a straight adaptation of the film so much as an extension of the story told in the movie.

In a release, Colfer said, "When production wrapped, I wasn’t ready to say good-bye to these characters and was thrilled when Little Brown asked me to adapt the story into a novel. I felt the best way to tell Carson’s story was through his critical eyes in a journal.

He further described the book as "a story about adolescence, told through the eyes of a teenager, for other teenagers.”

The movie is a dark comedy about Carson Phillips (Colfer), who blackmails the most popular students in his school into contributing to his literary journal to help his chance of getting into Northwestern University. It received a strong reception when it debuted earlier this year at the Tribecca Film Festival.

The book will be released simultaneously in print, ebook and audio.

The film, starring Allison Janney, Christina Hendricks, Dermot Mulroney, Sarah Hyland, and Polly Bergen, as well as Colfer, is also scheduled for release sometime at the end of the year.

Andrew Smith, Vice President and Deputy Publisher, and Alvina Ling, Executive Editorial Director, acquired the book for Little Brown. Colfer was repped by Coast to Coast, and Glenn Rigberg at Inphenate.
hollywoodreporter
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/9/2012, 2:25 pm

Apparently you can already pre-order the book !!!

pre-order here: Barnes & Noble

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 184954778

And there will be an audiobook as well !!! Please, let Chris do this audiobook too!

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Excited_kurt
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 8/9/2012, 2:46 pm

Yeah, I already have it on my list on Barnes and Noble. When you wrote about the audiobook potential, I decided to check Amazon, it didn't come up, but a video game for kids did, search engines are weird. Wow, I can't even get by we will, by this time next year, possibly have 3 audiobooks from Chris. Things that we can listen to, without having to FF through a lot of boring scenes on Glee. This is exciting.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  msjoanlucette 8/9/2012, 2:48 pm

This is really really cool!!! I wasn't expecting news of his next book for awhile.
I think this book will come out before the movie because I think the movie is coming out in December and his book in November right?
some people on this website think it's impossible to do work like this on a popular Tv show and not have a ghost writer. >.>
does this mean he gets another book tour? Smile
msjoanlucette
msjoanlucette
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 8/9/2012, 3:05 pm

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Tumblr_m8i1vqaZoi1qe476yo1_500
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/9/2012, 3:12 pm

What?! I wanna read this. I need it and is great that he decidin to write a novel versio of his film, i s not the first time than a movie is translated into a book . Well done Chris Smile

I thought his new book was gonna be a whole new story lol but It's ok.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  msjoanlucette 8/9/2012, 3:19 pm

Omg. Omg. Omg. This is really great news!!! :D
I wonder if he's recorded for the audio yet.
Man that's so so cool! His audio version of tlos was amazing so I don't doubt this version would be anything less too!!! This is really cool!! Omg... sorry I'm just really excited.
msjoanlucette
msjoanlucette
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 8/9/2012, 3:22 pm

more chris colfer goodness

kolce kolce
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/9/2012, 3:31 pm

Is that the actual book cover? I hope not! LB really invests in good artists like TLOS. I hope the SBL book cover will be equally awesome (not the same style of course). Don't like the SBL official movie poster. Maybe if the book cover is good they can license it for the movie poster too.

You don't know how important covers/posters are. So many times I had been sucked into watching crappy movies simply because the posters were so intriging. They at least give you a warm and fuzzy feeling about the book/movies that make you want to give it a look!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/9/2012, 4:13 pm

^No, that's not the real book cover.

msjoanlucette wrote:Omg. Omg. Omg. This is really great news!!! :D
I wonder if he's recorded for the audio yet.
Man that's so so cool! His audio version of tlos was amazing so I don't doubt this version would be anything less too!!! This is really cool!! Omg... sorry I'm just really excited.
You and me together. We're like this: Razz

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 6a00e54f9164528834016760c10639970b-800wi

This is amazing!!!
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/9/2012, 4:14 pm

@ Kim, Marie already answered that is not the actual cover book. Actually it written on the current cover that the real one will be revealed this fall.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 8/9/2012, 4:31 pm

I'm squealing here and that's not a pretty sight. wub We're really spoilt as fans and I'm afraid we'll start being overtly demending: "We want more, more, more." a'la Oliver Twist. Hopefully he will not feel stress and lose creativity or his sanity.

OK, maybe not our work horse, he probably knows where his limits go after all. And him doing the audiobook despite the last one nearly killing him. Laughing This summer brings good news to Colferites every single week! bounce
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/9/2012, 5:36 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:I'm squealing here and that's not a pretty sight. wub We're really spoilt as fans and I'm afraid we'll start being overtly demending: "We want more, more, more." a'la Oliver Twist. Hopefully he will not feel stress and lose creativity or his sanity.

OK, maybe not our work horse, he probably knows where his limits go after all. And him doing the audiobook despite the last one nearly killing him. Laughing This summer brings good news to Colferites every single week! bounce
I'm alternating between being an entitled fan: "Yes, record the audiobook now!!!!" and a concerned mom: "OMG, someone tell our bb to sit down and get some rest."

(Pssst: the entitled fan is winning.) tonguue
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 8/9/2012, 8:03 pm

Glorfindel wrote:

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 6a00e54f9164528834016760c10639970b-800wi

OT, but I'm in love with this gif. Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 413578547 Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 413578547 Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 413578547
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/9/2012, 9:42 pm

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Tumblr_m8i367TqlH1qh5dyro1_500

I assume she will be the editor again?
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl 8/9/2012, 10:11 pm

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I don't even know what to say, I'm so happy!!! The book alone would be an amazing gift, I'm so so excited to read it, but the fact that there's going to be another audiobook by Chris too?!! Especially after the TLOS one proved to be so fantastic?!

*dead from overexposure to joy* ded
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/10/2012, 6:28 am

This is amazing. *make grabby hands*. Me want.

Chris really gives a lot to his fans. I hope he doesn't wear himself out. Knowing him he will probably do a book tour, though maybe not.

This is such exciting news. Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal 621014945
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sani 8/10/2012, 6:37 am

Yaaayyy!!!! i'm so exited for this!! bounce
Sani
Sani
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 8/10/2012, 9:20 am

After the new bout of depression/frustration brought about by recently released Glee spoilers and deleted scenes, this is just what the doctor ordered to get my happy feelings back hapitgh

NEW BOOK BY CHRIS, CONFIRMED TO BE RELEASED IN NOVEMBER!! hola

I'm definitely ordering BOTH the book and the audiobook together this time. No repeating that mistake again.

I like that the book is more of an extension of the movie instead of a mere adaptation. It sounds like it'll serve to enhance the SBL movie-watching experience (which would hopefully happen not too long after the book release) instead of diminishing or repeating it.

Ah, and with a '#1 New York Times Bestselling author' header too. crycry Proud mama feelings out in full force.

Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 8/10/2012, 11:11 am

Another book for Colferites ? OH YEAH!

Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal Original

Delight wrote:

I like that the book is more of an extension of the movie instead of a mere adaptation. It sounds like it'll serve to enhance the SBL movie-watching experience (which would hopefully happen not too long after the book release) instead of diminishing or repeating it.

Yes, yes, I kinda noticed that, too. I can't wait to read Carson's journal! hola It's gonna be brilliant!

Delight wrote:
Ah, and with a '#1 New York Times Bestselling author' header too. crycry Proud mama feelings out in full force.

I'm very proud, too. He earned that header after publishing 1 book. How freaking awesome is that?

So, we have 1 SBL novel, 1 TLOS sequel, 2 audiobooks, SBL movie, Glee S4 and other stuff that we haven't heard about coming up. IT FEELS AMAZING TO BE A CHRIS STAN bounce

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 6 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next