Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  MissSoniaPP on 11/2/2012, 10:05 pm

ColferInspired wrote:
brisallie wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:Here is preview of the book from Itunes. There is quite a few pages and so if you want to read it you can. I read a few pages and wanted to read more but forced myself to stop as I was spoiling it for myself. But it is really really good.

http://ccolferrr.tumblr.com/post/34819907715/struck-by-lightning-the-carson-phillips-journal
I'm started to read it because my curiosity is bigger and I haven't ordered the book.

Honestly, I'm still debating if Carson gonna be a likeable or unlikeable character, for me he's like those people that at the beginning is not easy to get along with, and sort of I understand why people hate him. But by other side I think there's so much to discover about him.

I think he is likeable, but just cynical like Marie said.

He becomes best friends with Malarie in the film and probably we see this in the book as well. He has been hurt as I can see by what I have read. He is written like a real character, and this is what I feel as I was reading the first couple of pages.

He has flaws, lots of them, but he does have heart.

Yes, he is arrogant, but I think no-one has ever given him any sort of confidence, so he created it himself and therefore developed this arrogance as well as cynical and sarcastic as Marie said. Kurt did with his superiority so I say it is almost the same.

Chris is such a brillant writer, that I could see this in just the first three pages within the journal.

And given that Chris came up with SBL while in high school, maybe Chris gave Ryan the idea that Kurt's superiority was just a wall that Kurt built around himself as we all know it was during season 2 when that wall started to come down.


Sometimes I wonder how much of a creation of Kurt was more Chris than Ryan.


For anyone who knows soccer:
  • Carson = Cristiano Ronaldo Smile


A person who has a dream, knows that is good and struggling to achieve his dream.
People say he is arrogant, rude and disagreeable
But in reality he is only honest and his family is everything to him (despite its problems) tonguue
avatar
MissSoniaPP
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-10-04
Location : Porto -Portugal
Real Name : Sónia

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ColferInspired on 11/2/2012, 10:28 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:And given that Chris came up with SBL while in high school, maybe Chris gave Ryan the idea that Kurt's superiority was just a wall that Kurt built around himself as we all know it was during season 2 when that wall started to come down.


Sometimes I wonder how much of a creation of Kurt was more Chris than Ryan.
Chris has said that in the beginning the writers gave Chris some freedom with Kurt and just let Chris figure Kurt out himself. I think Chris influenced who Kurt is a lot.


Well, that's one thing they did right.

I wish they gave him control over Kurt's storyline, because I think it would be more satisfying then what we are getting from the writers.

It would be more accurate portrayal of how Kurt should be written.

I know Chris wouldn't have him as perfect or the hottest man alive. I see this in how he wrote TLOS and how I see Carson in SBL.

I know he would have Kurt be successful, but it would be in a more realistic way, and true to Kurt's talent and his character.

Chris seems to like writing characters with flaws, but in no way are perfect.

Sometimes I wonder how Chris would have wrote a character like Blaine or other characters on the show if he has ever wanted to, though I know he hasn't as he has said so in the past.

I just think it is an interesting thing to think about.
avatar
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8798
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : Australia
Real Name : Liz

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  MissSoniaPP on 11/2/2012, 10:54 pm

ColferInspired wrote:Here is preview of the book from Itunes. There is quite a few pages and so if you want to read it you can. I read a few pages and wanted to read more but forced myself to stop as I was spoiling it for myself. But it is really really good.

http://ccolferrr.tumblr.com/post/34819907715/struck-by-lightning-the-carson-phillips-journal

I read because honestly I am of those people who do not mind to know the story before read or see something.
When I picked up a book: in 1st place I read what is on the cover and then go the last sheets of books ooppss

I have to say I was surprised by the positive
Is not a PG book, that's for sure. whis
But in these first pages you know the foundations of Carson.
My favorite part was how he referred to the founders of USA, I ptdr
avatar
MissSoniaPP
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-10-04
Location : Porto -Portugal
Real Name : Sónia

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ColferInspired on 11/2/2012, 11:38 pm

MissSoniaPP wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:Here is preview of the book from Itunes. There is quite a few pages and so if you want to read it you can. I read a few pages and wanted to read more but forced myself to stop as I was spoiling it for myself. But it is really really good.

http://ccolferrr.tumblr.com/post/34819907715/struck-by-lightning-the-carson-phillips-journal

I read because honestly I am of those people who do not mind to know the story before read or see something.
When I picked up a book: in 1st place I read what is on the cover and then go the last sheets of books

I have to say I was surprised by the positive
Is not a PG book, that's for sure.
But in these first pages you know the foundations of Carson.
My favorite part was how he referred to the founders of USA, I

I love that part as well.
avatar
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8798
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : Australia
Real Name : Liz

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  brisallie on 11/2/2012, 11:39 pm

Glorfindel wrote:^I think Carson is one of those kids who has built a cynic, sarcastic wall around him, because he's been hurt too much and never been positively stimulated by the ones who are supposed to love and encourage him.
He never got anything, so he is not inclined to give anything.
But once you get behind that wall of him, there's a really smart, neglected, driven and vulnerable kid inside who just longs to be understood and loved.

There are many kids like Carson, but they hardly ever get the main focus in a movie.

I read the first pages of the book thanks to the preview and I understand very well your point Marie. Actually I've met people like Carson in real life and exactly as you said (somehow I was like him), they have put walls around them because in the past they weren't understood or encouraged by others, so at the end is a self-defense.

Probably these kind of roles are not the main focus in a movies, because usually the lead roles are likeable and well that what attract more audience. However, I find someone like Carson a more interested character, because he has his flaws.

For anyone who knows soccer:
Carson = Cristiano Ronaldo


A person who has a dream, knows that is good and struggling to achieve his dream.
People say he is arrogant, rude and disagreeable
But in reality he is only honest and his family is everything to him (despite its problems)


Cristiano? Really? I must confess that I'm someone who think he's arrogant but I've never researched his personal life so I didn't know those details.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


I currently obsessed with this
avatar
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 5797
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : latinamerica
Real Name : Romina

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ladydianab on 11/2/2012, 11:58 pm

I may get slapped for this comment but when I read the pages from the journal I really felt it was Chris putting on paper his real personal feelings with some humor included. But those pages are not the whole book. This kid really has some hurt and anger that just pours onto the pages of anything he writes. Maybe that is why what he writes is so good and relatable.
avatar
ladydianab
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Posts : 323
Join date : 2012-06-26
Location : Lawrence, Kansas
Real Name : Diana Buchanan

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ColferInspired on 11/3/2012, 12:12 am

ladydianab wrote:I may get slapped for this comment but when I read the pages from the journal I really felt it was Chris putting on paper his real personal feelings with some humor included. But those pages are not the whole book. This kid really has some hurt and anger that just pours onto the pages of anything he writes. Maybe that is why what he writes is so good and relatable.

I think Chris said in a couple of interviews this is what he would liked to have been in high school. He would have liked to have been someone like Carson.

And no-one slaps anyone on here. So you are safe.

But probably what he has wrote he might have liked to have said in real life.

But seeing what I have seen with the trailer, Chris is definitely not Carson.
avatar
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8798
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : Australia
Real Name : Liz

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  brisallie on 11/3/2012, 12:15 am

I may get slapped for this comment but when I read the pages from the journal I really felt it was Chris putting on paper his real personal feelings with some humor included. But those pages are not the whole book. This kid really has some hurt and anger that just pours onto the pages of anything he writes. Maybe that is why what he writes is so good and relatable.

I felt the same. I wondered "Is this what Chris really thinks about his life in Clovis?" Both guys share their not so well experienced life in high school and they doesn't have the best opinion about their hometown.So what makes the difference for me is the family background that each of them have.


Last edited by brisallie on 11/3/2012, 12:18 am; edited 1 time in total

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


I currently obsessed with this
avatar
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 5797
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : latinamerica
Real Name : Romina

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  MissSoniaPP on 11/3/2012, 12:16 am

brisallie wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:^I think Carson is one of those kids who has built a cynic, sarcastic wall around him, because he's been hurt too much and never been positively stimulated by the ones who are supposed to love and encourage him.
He never got anything, so he is not inclined to give anything.
But once you get behind that wall of him, there's a really smart, neglected, driven and vulnerable kid inside who just longs to be understood and loved.

There are many kids like Carson, but they hardly ever get the main focus in a movie.

I read the first pages of the book thanks to the preview and I understand very well your point Marie. Actually I've met people like Carson in real life and exactly as you said (somehow I was like him), they have put walls around them because in the past they weren't understood or encouraged by others, so at the end is a self-defense.

Probably these kind of roles are not the main focus in a movies, because usually the lead roles are likeable and well that what attract more audience. However, I find someone like Carson a more interested character, because he has his flaws.

For anyone who knows soccer:
Carson = Cristiano Ronaldo


A person who has a dream, knows that is good and struggling to achieve his dream.
People say he is arrogant, rude and disagreeable
But in reality he is only honest and his family is everything to him (despite its problems)


Cristiano? Really? I must confess that I'm someone who think he's arrogant but I've never researched his personal life so I didn't know those details.

I also do not know the whole life of Cristiano, but as I am from Portugal, I know something:

  • He came from a small place (the Island of Madeira) and a poor family.

  • Since childhood he wanted to be the Best Player in the World, was his dream.

  • He went to Lisbon to 11/12 years alone

  • He was bullied at school because of his accent, only that he responded

  • Strove to be the best: all coaches say he is the 1st to arrive and the last to leave the trainings

  • He loves his family


He takes his family where he goes (many people say that is why he does not mix with the high society of Spain, because he is invited but he just goes if is with the family)
And his family is not easy: his father died due to alcohol, and a cousin had gotten into drugs that got away because Cristiano paid their treatment

Has two serious problems:
  • Say what think, even it is not politically correct

  • has atitute of "do not give a shit" about what others think about him
avatar
MissSoniaPP
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Posts : 280
Join date : 2012-10-04
Location : Porto -Portugal
Real Name : Sónia

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Glorfindel on 11/3/2012, 12:35 am

brisallie wrote:
I may get slapped for this comment but when I read the pages from the journal I really felt it was Chris putting on paper his real personal feelings with some humor included. But those pages are not the whole book. This kid really has some hurt and anger that just pours onto the pages of anything he writes. Maybe that is why what he writes is so good and relatable.

I felt the same. I wondered "Is this what Chris really thinks about his life in Clovis?" Both guys share their not so well experienced life in high school and they doesn't have the best opinion about their hometown.So what makes the difference for me is the family background that each of them have.
This is just me speculating (and maybe projecting Chris' writing process on my own experiences when growing up, when I sang many angry and gloomy songs to get the frustration of school and being bullied out of my system) :

I think that writing SBL was a release for Chris, and he wrote Carson and what happened to him as a darker and more sinister alter-life of his real life, to squeeze all the pus of the shit happening in his real life out, and then some. It's not real, but it's the negative superlative of Chris' life. Something he could pour all gloomy thoughts and frustrations into without losing himself into it.
And then he wrote Carson's way out of this gloom and doom, not in a Disney-style, fairytale way, but in a very twisted way. Carson does not get the happily ever after ending, but he gets some form of absolution/satisfaction/reward. Perhaps that was in a way consoling/healing for Chris too.

I guess Carson was the dark side of the medal in Chris' life. And maybe TLoS was another, more brighter side. It's amazing that those 2 books were in Chris' mind at the same time. wub


______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Glorfindel
avatar
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8702
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : the Netherlands
Real Name : Marie

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Delight on 11/3/2012, 12:53 am

MissSoniaPP wrote:
Has two serious problems:
  • Say what think, even it is not politically correct

  • has atitute of "do not give a shit" about what others think about him

These two points you've listed seem to describe Carson very well, I think. Maybe there is something about this 'Carson=Cristiano Ronaldo' observation.

So, I succumbed to temptation and read the preview; and I have to say that I'm really loving what I've read so far. Carson's 'voice' is very strong here. He's not a 'nice' person by any means, but there's a lot of heart behind his hostile, 'don't give a crap' attitude towards the people in his hometown. He's unfriendly, not because he takes pleasure in insulting other people, but because other people hardly gave him a reason to be otherwise. That brief glimpse into his relationship with his grandmother is heartbreaking in a way; because you know that she's probably the one of the very few people who supported him and whom he had lowered his defenses to, and she's slowly slipping away from him because of her dementia. Now I have a better picture of what Alison Janney meant with her description of Carson;;

“[Carson Phillips is] a kid who refuses to go down. He’s a kid that gets tortured by all the kids at school—endlessly and mercilessly. But he refuses to disintegrate and it makes him stronger and he’s sort of impenetrable. And it’s also sort of heartbreaking. It will make you cry.”

Chris had said before that he's not Carson, because he actually cares a lot about what other people think of him, though he's learnt to make himself more immune to the poison and hatred directed his way by bigots (hence his 'grizzly bear' remark in one of his interviews).

Like Glorfindel, I also think that writing SBL would've been cathartic for Chris. He needed to write it to release all his pent up frustrations and disappointments and heartache.


avatar
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 1981
Join date : 2012-02-21
Location : Australia
Real Name : Zining

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ColferInspired on 11/3/2012, 1:02 am

Glorfindel wrote:
brisallie wrote:
I may get slapped for this comment but when I read the pages from the journal I really felt it was Chris putting on paper his real personal feelings with some humor included. But those pages are not the whole book. This kid really has some hurt and anger that just pours onto the pages of anything he writes. Maybe that is why what he writes is so good and relatable.

I felt the same. I wondered "Is this what Chris really thinks about his life in Clovis?" Both guys share their not so well experienced life in high school and they doesn't have the best opinion about their hometown.So what makes the difference for me is the family background that each of them have.
This is just me speculating (and maybe projecting Chris' writing process on my own experiences when growing up, when I sang many angry and gloomy songs to get the frustration of school and being bullied out of my system) :

I think that writing SBL was a release for Chris, and he wrote Carson and what happened to him as a darker and more sinister alter-life of his real life, to squeeze all the pus of the shit happening in his real life out, and then some. It's not real, but it's the negative superlative of Chris' life. Something he could pour all gloomy thoughts and frustrations into without losing himself into it.
And then he wrote Carson's way out of this gloom and doom, not in a Disney-style, fairytale way, but in a very twisted way. Carson does not get the happily ever after ending, but he gets some form of absolution/satisfaction/reward. Perhaps that was in a way consoling/healing for Chris too.

I guess Carson was the dark side of the medal in Chris' life. And maybe TLoS was another, more brighter side. It's amazing that those 2 books were in Chris' mind at the same time.


It is amazing.

I think with SBL this is his way of closing the past, and his asylum movie, well, that is something entirely different and I think would be Chris showing the full exent of his imagination.

I really wish we would hear more about it, but SBL is the focus and would his focus at the moment.

Hopefully we start hearing about it again soon.
avatar
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8798
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : Australia
Real Name : Liz

Back to top Go down

RE: Amazon Best Teen Books.

Post  M&M on 11/3/2012, 2:48 am

I just thought this was interesting.

From Amazon, re: how they pick their books of the month:

More About Amazon.com's Best Books of the Month

Each month, Amazon.com's editorial team reads with an eye for the Best Books of the Month, plus the best books in popular categories like Cooking, Food & Wine books, Literature & Fiction, Children's books, Mystery & Thrillers, Comics & Graphic Novels, Romance, Science Fiction & Fantasy, the best books for teens, and more. We scour reviews and book news for tips on what the earliest readers have loved, we swap books amongst ourselves, and spend our nights and weekends tearing through as many of the best books as possible. Then we face off in a monthly Best Books showdown meeting to champion the books we think will resonate most with their readership.

The titles that make our Best Books of Month lists are the keepers, the ones we couldn't forget. Many of our editorial picks for the best books are also customer favorites and bestsellers, but we strive to spotlight the best books you might not otherwise hear about.

The books included in Amazon's Best Books of the Month program are entirely editorial selections. We have great passion for uniting readers of all ages and tastes with their next favorite read, helping our customers find terrific gifts for booklovers, and drawing more attention to the best books by exceptional authors of all stripes.

:')
avatar
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  tanita_mors on 11/3/2012, 8:51 am

I'm officially impressed. The 27 page excerpt is in a word - brilliant. Now I know for sure that the somewhat simpler style of Land of Stories was completely intentional, aimed at a much younger audience. But you can see here, that this is where Chris is coming from and what is close to his heart.

Carson isn't what you would call likable, but he is relatable. And I personally always am more interested in interesting people who are more then just black/white good/bad.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________



avatar
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 2854
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : Serbia
Real Name : Ivana

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  M&M on 11/4/2012, 3:09 pm

Posting this in all the active threads. Gleekout Brazil may be doing a q&a later. This was from 1 hour ago. We could use some Kurt questions.

From Gleekout Brazil.
Hi Gleeks, how are you?
We’re planning to do a little something for ya later since we are getting so many nice messages from you…
Just letting you know, it will be like, in 5 or 6 hours! xx

http://gleekoutbr.tumblr.com/
avatar
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Glorfindel on 11/9/2012, 11:50 am

Pictures from the paperback edition:
(behind spoiler bars, for people who want to be surprised)

Spoiler:







OMG, that last picture..... I don't know if I'll ever be ready for this. crycry

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Glorfindel
avatar
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8702
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : the Netherlands
Real Name : Marie

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  tanita_mors on 11/9/2012, 12:07 pm

Spoiler:
I though he would be a pool of water after a thunder-storm, not just laying on the ground like that. Well, I'll just wait for the movie to see the scene.

Can't wait for the book though. I'm gonna try and get the ebook from my usual source just as fast as LOS, in which case I will notify everyone to PM them the link for it for those how can't get it any other way.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________



avatar
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 2854
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : Serbia
Real Name : Ivana

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  sheny on 11/10/2012, 3:49 am


The first 2 chapters of Struck By Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal



sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 2881
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ColferInspired on 11/12/2012, 2:45 am




This all sounds exciting. I wonder what it is all about?
avatar
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8798
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : Australia
Real Name : Liz

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  msjoanlucette on 11/12/2012, 8:08 pm



(this goes here right?) (cause it's about a book signing?)

I'm so excited for this. :O I really want to go to it, but I don't think I have anyone to take me this time.
avatar
msjoanlucette
Llama
Llama

Posts : 188
Join date : 2012-05-14
Location : California
Real Name : Joan

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  sheny on 11/13/2012, 3:28 am

Pictures from the SBL novel

The last one just breaks my heart. crycry

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 2881
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  sheny on 11/13/2012, 12:10 pm


Source

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Posts : 2881
Join date : 2012-05-09

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Glorfindel on 11/13/2012, 7:39 pm


bounce

______________________________________________________________________________________________________


Glorfindel
avatar
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8702
Join date : 2012-02-19
Location : the Netherlands
Real Name : Marie

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  M&M on 11/13/2012, 10:34 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
bounce

So jealous of those who have it already. Anxiously awaiting my copy.
avatar
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Posts : 813
Join date : 2012-02-26

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  ColferInspired on 11/14/2012, 12:03 am

M&M wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:


So jealous of those who have it already. Anxiously awaiting my copy.

I'm the same.
avatar
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Posts : 8798
Join date : 2012-02-20
Location : Australia
Real Name : Liz

Back to top Go down

Re: Struck by Lightning: The Carson Phillips Journal

Post  Sponsored content


Sponsored content


Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top

- Similar topics

 
Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum