Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread

+19
Glorfindel
ColdFlame96
angelnessa
sheny
Ireth
Vir Cotto
Lottie2303
valkeakuulas
bayth
ColferInspired
Buenos
AnneNeville
brisallie
Divalicious
Ranwing
fantastica
ChrisColferFan1
Jellyrolls
tanita_mors
23 posters

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap18%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap12%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap18%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 18% 
[ 3 ]
5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap6%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 6% 
[ 1 ]
5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap12%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 12% 
[ 2 ]
5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap34%5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 34% 
[ 6 ]

Total Votes : 17

5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  AnneNeville 11/8/2013, 4:07 pm

bayth wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:I still don't get Pamela Lansbury.
It's a combination of two actresses - Pamela Anderson and Angela Lansbury.  Why?  I have no clue.
That was the only thing I could think of, and I couldn't figure out why that combination would mean anything at all. . .

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Jellyrolls 11/8/2013, 4:47 pm

Sorry, I didn't make note of the source of this review, but I love what they wrote at the end:

If it feels like this blog is all over the place, that’s because it is. But I’ve done you a service as the show is getting harder and harder to make rhyme or reason out of anymore. Before my DVR cut off I could swear they said next week’s episode is going to be purely about twerking. Please, God, No.

While it seems the productions of each number are getting bigger, the show’s spirit gets smaller. Does Ryan Murphythink that because “American Horror Story” is amazing he can slack off on "Glee"? I hope not. It was officially announced recently that "Glee" will end after next season (Season 6) so let’s end this show as great as we started it, shall we?
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 11/8/2013, 5:05 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
bayth wrote:
It's a combination of two actresses - Pamela Anderson and Angela Lansbury.  Why?  I have no clue.
That was the only thing I could think of, and I couldn't figure out why that combination would mean anything at all. . .
As someone mentioned the writers are showing THEIR age. Pamela Anderson and Angela Landsbury aren't even in the cultural zeitgeist these days, that reference is so 80's and early 90's,
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 11/8/2013, 5:07 pm

Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
bayth wrote:
As someone mentioned the writers are showing THEIR age.  Pamela Anderson and Angela Landsbury aren't even in the cultural zeitgeist these days, that reference is so 80's and early 90's,
Yeah, that's my childhood/teen years. But is there any way that combining their names leads to some kind of meaning, ironic or humorous or anything at all?

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 11/8/2013, 5:14 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
bayth wrote:
As someone mentioned the writers are showing THEIR age.  Pamela Anderson and Angela Landsbury aren't even in the cultural zeitgeist these days, that reference is so 80's and early 90's,
Yeah, that's my childhood/teen years. But is there any way that combining their names leads to some kind of meaning, ironic or humorous or anything at all?
It's suppose to be the "Raw Sex appeal " of Pamela Anderson and the "quiet dignity" of Angela Landsbury.

I know, it's beyond lame.

Santana's earlier suggestion was sooo much better.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 11/8/2013, 5:17 pm

Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
bayth wrote:It's a combination of two actresses - Pamela Anderson and Angela Lansbury.  Why?  I have no clue.
It's suppose to be the "Raw Sex appeal "  of Pamela Anderson and the "quiet dignity" of Angela Landsbury.

I know, it's beyond lame.

Santana's earlier suggestion was sooo much better.  
????!!!!

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 11/8/2013, 5:20 pm

Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
bayth wrote:
Angela Lansbury played Mame and Gypsy Rose Lee - she also starred in Sweeney Todd. Maybe Pamela Lansbury is play on the theatrical members (Kurt and Rachel) plus the bombshells (Santana, Dani and Elliot) for Pamela Anderson. saispa 
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 11/8/2013, 5:20 pm

There were some awesome suggestions for names, and they chose the one which is totally out of date. I am 26 and have a hard time making the connection. How should I assume 19+ year olds actually know who those person are  let alone the intended audience(I still have to google one of them to be honest)??!

I loved Santana's first suggestion, they should have chosen it (the one mentioned in the promo. I cannot write it..).
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 11/8/2013, 5:24 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:There were some awesome suggestions for names, and they chose the one which is totally out of date. I am 26 and have a hard time making the connection. How should I assume 19+ year olds actually know who those person are  let alone the intended audience(I still have to google one of them to be honest)??!

I loved Santana's first suggestion, they should have chosen it (the one mentioned in the promo. I cannot write it..).
The Apocalipsticks was an awesome name! Razz 
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 11/8/2013, 5:40 pm

http://www.thebacklot.com/glee-504-a-katy-or-a-gaga/11/2013/2/

Why is Will so terrible and gross? Why am I still talking about Lima when all the best stuff is happening in New York? Life’s great mysteries.
Glee needs to make the full-time move to New York. Why in the world would we want to see Santana-lite doing sexes with Puck-lite when we could be watching Naya Rivera and Chris Colfer and Lea Michele and Adam Lambert and Demi Lovato perform together?
Ah  Schadenfraude, the media's outright hostility toward McKinley versus NY is beautiful to see...

Last edited by Buenos on 11/8/2013, 6:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 11/8/2013, 5:42 pm

On a total different note, it really bothers me how Glee basically states:

- bitchy, mean, female characters are allowed to have and like sex --> equals bad
- nice female characters date their boyfriends for months without even wanting to be touched somewhere --> equals good

Especially because there is never an issue with boys, expect Kurt, who obviously counts as a female according to RIB.

I am all for free choice and liked Rachel's SL of taking her time and all. Those are important as well and no one should be pressured. Ever. But really, Glee takes it too an extreme that all the nice girls do not even conduct any sexual activities. Is it so hard to have female characters, who are also sexually curious and just go for it? Without being basically morally shamed.

Also Marley was thinking about having sex at the wedding. I have a very, very, very hard time believing they didn't even manage second base yet. blinkk 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 11/8/2013, 5:54 pm

Buenos wrote:http://www.thebacklot.com/glee-504-a-katy-or-a-gaga/11/2013/2/

Why is Will so terrible and gross? Why am I still talking about Lima when all the best stuff is happening in New York? Life’s great mysteries.
Ah  Schadenfraude, the media's outright hostility toward McKinley versus NY is beautiful to see...
I read a couple of recaps with this type of theme. LOL.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/8/2013, 6:14 pm

When it comes to good girls dealing with having sex or not, still I remember when in season one Rachel said girls also have desire feelings as boys have. And now Glee is portraying a good girl like Marley as someone who prefers to wait until marriage, who haven't get to second base with his boyfriend. Ok I might understand it as both girls are different in their personality, but I don¡t like this stereotype that goody girls don't want to even be touched, and bad girls do immediately have sex, because at the end each person is different and has layers, no one is 100% good or bad, pure or impure.

After watching last episode, I wonder why I keep watching Glee. I'm sorry but MK side is getting more and more ridiculous every week, I think at this moment I only have to see it as a joke. And I'm really upset with Mr. Schue, I know he can be kind sometimes and take care after his students, but other times he's a selfish man who only care about competition. How is possible he suspended Marley for a week, only because she 'didn't want to be part of the team'? Oh Please, the girl felt uncomfortable, and sometimes isn't that easy for someone to get out of its comfort zone. In addition only few months earlier she was dealing with eating issues.

As regards NY, if weren't for that plot, I'd definitely stop watching Glee. However, I'm upset the supposed Kurt's band was named by Rachel, and the leader of his own band didn't even sing! What's going on Glee?. Putting those negative feelings aside, I was all giggles when Starchild was doing his performance, because for me that what a performer should be: someone who got your attention since the moment he sings the first note! Santana represented me at that moment haha. So that  why I was take aback when Kurt rejected him, because for me Kurt is someone who recognize the potential and talent when is in front of his eyes. But then I got his feelings, and I sincerely want to see him being sucessful Smile. Speaking of that, sometimes I forget that Rachel also can be  truly supportive of her friends, so I was kindly surprised as she said cheered up Kurt this time.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 11/8/2013, 6:27 pm

I actually nodded whilst voting on my computer. Thank goodness Jane Lynch is on the same spot as Chris. I really should get to bed before I start doing more harm. sleepp 
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/8/2013, 6:46 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:I actually nodded whilst voting on my computer. Thank goodness Jane Lynch is on the same spot as Chris. I really should get to bed before I start doing more harm. sleepp 
I should do the same. Actually I was debating to see or not this episode, at the end I'm a masochist. But in the meantime I was checking my FB.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/8/2013, 8:52 pm

My thoughts on the episode that I also posted on TWoP:
(You can easily skip the Lima part if you want.)

And Glee continues with the great divide between Lima and New York. While Lima is repetetive and boring, New York is fresh and sparkling.

The Lima part:
- Panic in glee club because another show choir is doing Gaga: been there, done that in season 1 no less (and much better too).
- Applause: no, just no. The strobo-lights and fancy camera work could not hide the epic fail of this performance. Their ‘dance’ was practically non-existent and the costumes were not working. Especially Blaine’s Gaga outfit was beyond horrible; Siegfried and Roy would be offended by the comparison. As Shelby would say: “Stop, just stop.”
- Marley wants to be a professional (pop) singer, right? Then she should have been able to pretend to be a ‘Gaga’ for one performance. I understand not wanting to wear a bikini made of gloves or seashells, but she could have come up with a more covering Gaga costume and/or asked her teammates for help, instead of doing a ‘Katy’ despite her specific assignment. Suspending her was too much, especially after all the other crap students pulled in that choir room, but she did deserve a smackdown.
- Having said that, Will isn’t off the hook here. It’s quite typical that Mr. Shue immediately suspends a female student over A) not feeling comfortable doing a specific artist, and B) not wanting to wear a revealing costume, when he was so thoughtful and understanding when some of the guys had those problems. BTW: the level of nudity Will is allowing almost weekly in glee club nowadays (both female and male) is ridiculous. Pedo Will indeed.

- Sam: please, just go away. The Penny actress is nice, but I really don’t care about Sam anymore, nor his upteenth girl friend. Someone up thread cleverly suggested a mirror for him, and just like Narcissus I wish that Sam would just stare in that mirror and pine away.
- Tina, Unique and Kitty: I like these ladies together when they are using the energy of their bitching for something useful, like their quite nice rendition of  ‘Wide Awake’.
- Jake. Yay, another cheater in da house. Getting real tired of this, Glee. Plus this conflict for Jarley came out of nowhere, as Marley was fine with booking a hotel room on Valentine’s, and although they didn’t have sex then you’d have expected for Jake to at least get to 2nd base by now.
- Bree is still not doing anything for me: she just doesn’t work.
- Becky is just horrible now, another character that went sour along the way.
- Sue vs. Will: been there, done that too, about a dozen times already, yawn. Although Sue had a point with those costumes.

The New York part:
- Starchild: adding Adam Lambert was even better than I thought it would be when I heard the news. Wonderful voice, great stage presence and good chemistry with his ‘nemesis’ Kurt. Starchild/Elliott is fresh, and he already was more than a one-note character in the few minutes they gave him (in comparison the the ND 2.0 noobs). Please, can he and Demi become regulars?  As for Kurt and Starchild (Starkurt?): I ship it, and the fact that they just had to mention twice that Kurt is engaged did nothing to stop the sparks from flying between them. If anything it only emphasized how Kurt settled for a high school childish brat when he could have painted the town with someone more mature and hot.
- I’m glad that Kurt wasn’t so much jealous of Elliot OTT performance, but more concerned about him (Starchild) not being mainstream enough for the band, as this was what Kurt was struggling with himself this episode. And I’m also glad that they talked it out and Kurt accepted Elliott with no limitations to how he wants to present himself.
- As for Kurt ‘whining’ about not being succesful (as I read in comments on TWoP) : as I understood it Kurt wanted to form a band because he wanted mainstream succes, financial security and to stop being a mere sidekick and bff (more meta). Although both Vogue and NYADA brought him success they don’t pay him, plus it can be argued that Kurt is still in a niche in both places (as NYADA doesn’t get storylines and therefore we can’t see Kurt struggling to become more commercial appealing there). I thought his conversation with Rachel was well written and gave him quite a good motivation: trying to find a balance between becoming generally accepted (and successful) by ‘toning it down’ and being able to stay yourself and appreciate your own unique talent. Both Kurt and Starchild represented that, it was even the foundation of their ‘nemesis’ argument, and as soon as Kurt had figured that out he could reach out to Elliott too.

- I simply love the dynamic between the NY characters. Rachel didn’t have much to do in this episode, but I liked how she supported Kurt the way she did, and Santana had a nice snark going on with Kurt: their bantering brings life to the more sacharine bff dynamic of Hummelberry. And though Dani was mostly in the back even when Demi is a major guest star, it worked and I wished even more that she could become a regular: she is certainly an addition and works well with other guest star Adam L. and the NY characters.
- The only negative aspect about the band storyline was that Kurt himself was the only one of the singers who didn’t get a solo line in ‘Roar’. Now maybe if they would give NY their own exclusive closing number for just once(!) there would have been enough lines in the song to share so that Kurt could have sung solo in his own freaking band.  :angry: 

Stray observations:
- First Nationals is 6 weeks away, and at the end of the episode it's only 4 weeks. They are burning up weeks fast in canon (after 3-4 weeks skipping for Finn's death).
- Suddenly they only have 4 competitors at Nationals? Okay. Rolling Eyes 
- Why is it that many characters often mention Kurt as being one of the best performers, as now Tina did with her "Kurt was the #1 Gaga", but he never gets to show it in the canon? (Not in ND when he was in highschool, not at the 'Funny Girl' auditions, not in Adam's Apples, and now not in his own band. WTF?!?!)
- Throwing Adam under the bus was really unnecessary, and it reeks of desperation and insecurity of RIB for their endgame couple.
- I was the one who mentioned that the Glee writers are showing their age and projecting their idols unto the characters, when they named the band Pamela Lansbury. That was so 20-25 years ago.
- The band is not exclusively a Madonna cover band anymore (Kurt said that), and Im glad.
- Although I loved Starchild's performance, he shouldn't have thrown the mic stand including mic to the floor at the end of it. Mics are fragile and expensive.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 11/8/2013, 8:56 pm

me neither. who is she? is she a real person? when i google her name all i got was last night's glee episode. Shocked
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 11/8/2013, 9:15 pm

fantastica wrote:
me neither. who is she? is she a real person? when i google her name all i got was last night's glee episode. Shocked
Pamela Anderson : sexpot actress who's biggest claim to fame was being the blonde life guard in BAYWATCH

Angela Landsbury:  Long time actress, who started in the mid 40's, her best movie role was IMO "The Manchurian Candidate" , then had a late successful Broadway musical career, starring in among others, Mame, Gypsy and Sweeney Todd, and then later, was the lead actress in the long running TV series "Murder she Wrote".

The band is suppose to combine the "sexiness" of Pamela with the "quiet dignity" of Angela Lansbury, thus the "shipping" their names.   Shocked
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/8/2013, 9:31 pm

@Marie, Having second thoughts, I also realize that Marley could came up with an alternative option for her costume. For instance instead of wearing the 'hands bra' that  Gaga wears in the video, she could have worn a top but with the same design. However, still I think that Will reaction it was over the top.

And as regards the double standards on Glee when it comes to girls to not wanted to expose her bodies, I found on tumblr when Artie didn't feel comfortable doing the Nude Calendar, and his reason were understood. So still I don't get why Glee treat women so differently?

Last edited by brisallie on 11/8/2013, 9:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 11/8/2013, 9:41 pm

Buenos wrote:
fantastica wrote:
Pamela Anderson : sexpot actress who's biggest claim to fame was being the blonde life guard in BAYWATCH

Angela Landsbury:  Long time actress, who started in the mid 40's, her best movie role was IMO "The Manchurian Candidate" , then had a late successful Broadway musical career, starring in among others, Mame, Gypsy and Sweeney Todd, and then later, was the lead actress in the long running TV series "Murder she Wrote".

The band is suppose to combine the "sexiness" of Pamela with the "quiet dignity" of Angela Lansbury, thus the "shipping" their names.   Shocked
thank you my dear! I know both of them, but i agree that this is so last generation or two.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/8/2013, 9:43 pm

fantastica wrote:
Buenos wrote:
fantastica wrote:

thank you my dear! I know both of them, but i agree that this is so last generation or two.
Is Glee. The same show in which two teenagers idolize Barbra Streisand and Patti Lupone. Even Ryan has made joke about it "Who would ever believe a 16 teenage girl admires someone like Barbra Streisand?"
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 11/8/2013, 10:03 pm

the band name - picture it if these two merged (i know i can't Suspect )

5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Pamela-anderson 5x04 "A Katy or a Gaga" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Angela-Lansbury-angela-lansbury-25418724-1270-1600
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 11/9/2013, 4:59 am

Here's the overnight conclusion I have come up with: writer's throwing Adam out like that is just part of consistancy really. Adam is now just another thing Kurt has had to lose and give up on because someone else has needs over him. Kurt has previously given up on lot of things important to him because of his dad, Rachel, Sam or Blaine. It's really sad and depressing but reality funnily enough, it just seems to be happening to Kurt in particular a lot.

More than anything I want and need Kurt to have a "I don't know what I want!" - moment, because that is way overdue after all the crap that was left unsaid/untold S4 for his storyline.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 11/9/2013, 5:22 am

Adam can queue up behind Jesse and Brody, who also have been thrown under the bus to save the endgame couples. The treatment of Adam is very consistent behavior from RIB in order to destroy well liked characters, as those legitimately threatened Finchel/Klaine (or at least Jesse and Adam. Brody was a failed attempt anyhow). We should have expected such a harsh throwaway line, even though it really doesn't make it right in any shape or form.

I am happy that Kurt finally admitted he feels overshadowed and him being unique may be and has been a hindrance. I actually think it could be a longer season-arc, because with all the Kurt spoilers, he seems to delve a bit into soul searching. At least that is what I hope. He needs to find himself, ditch Blaine in the process and just live a little. He is 19 years old. Why does everyone expect him to make decisions and a career of a 30 year old man?!
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 11/9/2013, 10:07 am

“Except then, the newly formed band (Pamela Lansbury, which, okay, fine) and the New Directions launch into a joint rendition of “Roar,” during which Kurt (who is, again, the proud founder of a new band) doesn’t have a solo. He barely sings at all. Loincloths and vine-swinging notwithstanding, that oversight spoils the number, and maybe even the entire episode. Like, you wrote an episode of television about a person who starts a band. How hard is it — on a show that is about people singing — to end that episode with that person singing a song with that band? From the look of “Roar,” Kurt has finally achieved his dream of being a different kind of backup singer. Score!”
—  - Vulture, 05x04 recap
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next