Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4

+28
angelnessa
Piciollina
jaime20
TimF
bayth
MoviesAreLife
Ireth
ladydianab
Jellyrolls
coxfire
arina
ChrisColferFan1
fantastica
brisallie
Delight
AnneNeville
tanita_mors
ColdFlame96
Ranwing
Divalicious
sheny
ColferInspired
Georgette888
Buenos
Kurt Hummel
valkeakuulas
Lottie2303
Glorfindel
32 posters

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4

Post  Lottie2303 8/29/2013, 4:20 am

Buenos wrote:
Ranwing wrote:Lea's foray into films might have been a huge flop,
Lea has had one movie since Glee came out, "New Year's Eve" which was one of those ensemble gigs (she acted with Ashton Kutcher) with a bunch of people.  She hardly carried the movie.  The movie was panned by critics but with a budget of 56 million it grossed 142 million word wide  so I hardly think that film summarizes her  foray into movies  as some huge flop so far.  I'm sure she'll get a few offers, but other than another  ensemble where shooting is limited or during the summer,  it won't be until she's off Glee she'll be able to really work at a movie career, if that is what she wants to do.

Other than Broadway, other TV offers/series could be an option for her, as well as (formidable odds against her I grant you) a recording/concert career with her upcoming album.  She's probably the biggest "name" among the younger Glee actors , evidenced by she's gotten some fairly big commercial endorsement deals.
Lea reminds me of Blake Lively. The star of a TV show, who expected a major movie career and failed. I also see Lea's future on BW and believe she will most likely have future success. However, I also assume she actually wants to be a HW star. I don't see her in a foreseeable future as HW actress or extremely successful singer. I don't find her voice suits the usual pop music.

I see Chris future in television. Hopefully in a good Showtime/HBO/FX feauture. Some TV shows nowadays exceed movies by miles.

Darren could be successful as singer. He has a nice, generic voice, that fits radio very well. But he needs to be careful, because teens tend to grow up and abandon their favorite stars very easily.

Jane and Matt will be fine.

I think the rest will most likely show up in reality TV (Naya?), competition shows (i.e. Amber) or disappear to nowhere. I hope everyone has a exit plan. HW provides so much more then just acting. We are lucky as Chris fans, that he is intelligent and successful enough to branch out.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 4

Post  Buenos 8/29/2013, 4:59 am

Of course Lea Michele (like any of the Glee stars) could crash and burn in their outside endeavors. It's a crapshoot whether any of the Glee actors will be all that successful post Glee.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/29/2013, 5:14 am

Buenos wrote:Of course  Lea Michele (like any of the Glee stars) could crash and burn in their outside endeavors.  It's a crapshoot whether any of the Glee actors will be all that successful post Glee.
True, that also includes Chris. I most certainly don't see him as A-list movie actor one day. In terms of acting, I suspect he'll either get a new television project or focus on secondary parts in movies. Funnily, some of the best and most diverse actors usually want those roles. They get constantly hired, earn a nice income, but are also not recognized by the mass. It is a very lucrative field. The secondary characters are also usually the most interesting parts.

I am curious. I dob't want any of them to fail, but I think we need to expect the majority won't make it post-Glee. But it is HW - we may be surprised who will and who will not launch a big career. Stranger things have happened.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/29/2013, 6:12 am

Lottie2303 wrote:
Buenos wrote:Of course  Lea Michele (like any of the Glee stars) could crash and burn in their outside endeavors.  It's a crapshoot whether any of the Glee actors will be all that successful post Glee.
True, that also includes Chris. I most certainly don't see him as A-list movie actor one day. In terms of acting, I suspect he'll either get a new television project or focus on secondary parts in movies. Funnily, some of the best and most diverse actors usually want those roles. They get constantly hired, earn a nice income, but are also not recognized by the mass. It is a very lucrative field. The secondary characters are also usually the most interesting parts.

I am curious. I dob't want any of them to fail, but I think we need to expect the majority won't make it post-Glee. But it is HW - we may be surprised who will and who will not launch a big career. Stranger things have happened.
Which is why I find it hard to share the sentiment that the actors are better off without Glee even now, or that Glee should crash and burn so they can go on with the next phase of their careers. How many projects will give them the same high profile platform of Glee and in show biz, lightning rarely strikes twice.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/29/2013, 6:17 am

Buenos wrote:Which is why I find it hard to share the sentiment that the actors are better off without Glee even now, or that Glee should crash and burn so they can go on with the next phase of their careers.  How many projects will give them the same high profile platform of Glee and in show biz, lightning rarely strikes twice.
It is a double-edged word. On one hand it means exposure, an income, a steady job. On the other hand, Glee lost so much credibility, it may hurt all actors for the long run. On one hand I want Chris off the show, on the other it means he will be on my screen for 2 more years and can prove himself. There is no right/wrong unfortunately.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 8/29/2013, 10:18 am

If there is ever a cautionary tale about what can happen to actors after they leave a very successful TV show, there is Gary Burghoff, who played Radar O'Reilly in M*A*S*H (still to me probably one of the greatest TV shows ever). Burghoff was one of the few actors to carry on his role from the original M*A*S*H film (which was amazing) and was nominated for six Emmy awards for his TV work and won in 1977. He unfortunately didn't get along with most of the cast (especially star Alan Alda) and decided to quit. His career never achieved the same level of prestigue that he had with M*A*S*H and he ended up doing guest starring bits on shows like The Love Boat before pretty much dropping out of show business altogether.

That seems to almost be the norm for many very talented actors who appear on extremely successful TV programs and then see their careers fall backwards afterwards. It's such an unforgiving business where you're lucky to get one really good project, let alone a lasting career. For most of the younger members of the cast, Glee might very well be it for them as far as major parts. It's just the reality of the business. What seperates the ones who make it (like George Clooney, who started off doing a TV sit com) is not just talent, but intellience in picking the right projects that move them foward and get them taken more seriously. I have no doubt that several in the cast got offered quite a few things, at least in the first years. But we had some major missteps.

Lea's movie for example. It wasn't the kind of part to help her move her career forward because it didn't require her to do anything more than what she had already gained fame for - being a singer. I think she may have chosen that part to get her feet wet in films because it wasn't a real stretch and it was have eased her into a film career. But instead of failing because she overreached, she failed because 1) the project was weak despite an otherwise great cast and 2) it wasn't going to make any more an impression on the audience as to what Lea is capable of as a performer than Rachel Berry did. It was a poor choice for her first big screen film and I think it set her back signifigantly. Same with Darren. I think that it's always a struggle for TV actors to be taken seriously as film actors and if you fail in your first high profile project, it can hurt your prospects. You don't have the track record to weather a film that is a critical/commerical flop and the odds of you being offered better projects fall sharply.

There is another actor that I like very much from the Supernatural series, Jared Padalecki, who apparently had to turn down a part in a John Woo film because it conflicted with his comittment to his TV show. Now this was the kind of project that could potentially launch his career to another level. Or not. He lost out on the lead role in Conan the Barbarian partly because of his lack of availability and the film turned out to be a major turkey, so he dodged a bullet there. But he's happy to continue working on Supernatural because he enjoys it and it is a very steady income (very necessary given that he's got one child now and another on the way).

Chris has been exceptionally fortunate in having his first major professional part be one in a show as high profile as Glee, and a part as highly regarded as Kurt Hummel. He would be foolish at this stage to bite the hand that feeds him and think that he's beyond Glee at this point, so he does what he needs to in order to make the best of poor storylines and he maintains the outside projects that he can manage on his current filming schedule so that when the day does come that Glee ends, he has some real options. He's got a good reputation in the industry, and people apparently want to work with him so he's got a shot. After that, whether he succeeds or not is anyone's guess.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 8/29/2013, 10:46 am

Lottie2303 wrote:
Puckturt is one of those ships I really need to give a go.... Even though I have very clear specifications that need to be met mrgreen 
The first Glee fanfic I've read is a Puckurt fic, 'Cause You’ve Got An Awfully Long Way To Go. I read it and liked it, during a time when I didn't know what Glee was about or what the characters looked like. You might wish to give it a try fanny2 

I've rec-ed the fic a while back on this page:
https://chriscolferfanforum.forumotion.com/t57p15-chris-kurt-requests-and-recommendations#1853

Ranwing wrote:
That seems to almost be the norm for many very talented actors who appear on extremely successful TV programs and then see their careers fall backwards afterwards. It's such an unforgiving business where you're lucky to get one really good project, let alone a lasting career. For most of the younger members of the cast, Glee might very well be it for them as far as major parts. It's just the reality of the business. What seperates the ones who make it (like George Clooney, who started off doing a TV sit com) is not just talent, but intellience in picking the right projects that move them foward and get them taken more seriously. I have no doubt that several in the cast got offered quite a few things, at least in the first years. But we had some major missteps.
I fear that this may turn out to be Chris's fate one day, but I have faith that he's intelligent and sensible enough in choosing his future projects (judging from the Kurt-Hummel-alike roles he's turned down). As you've pointed out, there have been cases of successful movie actors who started off in TV sitcom land. I would add Leonardo Di Caprio and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to the list.

Also, Chris seems to have more options open for him, as he's already honing and demonstrating his skills as a screenwriter and an author. And then there's the possibility of theatre work for him in the future too.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/29/2013, 12:25 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
Buenos wrote:Which is why I find it hard to share the sentiment that the actors are better off without Glee even now, or that Glee should crash and burn so they can go on with the next phase of their careers.  How many projects will give them the same high profile platform of Glee and in show biz, lightning rarely strikes twice.
It is a double-edged word. On one hand it means exposure, an income, a steady job. On the other hand, Glee lost so much credibility, it may hurt all actors for the long run. On one hand I want Chris off the show, on the other it means he will be on my screen for 2 more years and can prove himself. There is no right/wrong unfortunately.
As long as the main actors keep performing well and behaving like professionals, I don't think the quality decline on Glee will hurt them. After all, Hollywood has to produce tons of bad TV and movies every year just to keep the channels and theatres full, and Glee is still on a network TV. Lots of people go from failed show to failed show without their reputations being damaged. They are professionals, so they work. (Of course, their reputations may not be *enhanced* by being on a failed show, but I don't think it's damaged, especially if they weren't the headliner).

What would be worse would be if they get a bad reputation as Glee goes downhill. Then, their bad word of mouth will combine with the show's, and they won't look good. As long as they continue to be professionals and perform to the best of their abilities, they'll be making a good impression on the directors and producers and other actors they encounter.

This is my conjecture, not any kind of inside knowledge, but I feel pretty sure that--unless major movie producers start pounding on the actors' doors and are turned away due to Glee--the show won't hurt them, and it's good for them to get a paycheck.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/29/2013, 12:29 pm

Ranwing wrote:If there is ever a cautionary tale about what can happen to actors after they leave a very successful TV show, there is Gary Burghoff, who played Radar O'Reilly in M*A*S*H (still to me probably one of the greatest TV shows ever). Burghoff was one of the few actors to carry on his role from the original M*A*S*H film (which was amazing) and was nominated for six Emmy awards for his TV work and won in 1977. He unfortunately didn't get along with most of the cast (especially star Alan Alda) and decided to quit. His career never achieved the same level of prestigue that he had with M*A*S*H and he ended up doing guest starring bits on shows like The Love Boat before pretty much dropping out of show business altogether.

Lea's movie for example. It wasn't the kind of part to help her move her career forward because it didn't require her to do anything more than what she had already gained fame for - being a singer. I think she may have chosen that part to get her feet wet in films because it wasn't a real stretch and it was have eased her into a film career. But instead of failing because she overreached, she failed because 1) the project was weak despite an otherwise great cast and 2) it wasn't going to make any more an impression on the audience as to what Lea is capable of as a performer than Rachel Berry did. It was a poor choice for her first big screen film and I think it set her back signifigantly. Same with Darren. I think that it's always a struggle for TV actors to be taken seriously as film actors and if you fail in your first high profile project, it can hurt your prospects. You don't have the track record to weather a film that is a critical/commerical flop and the odds of you being offered better projects fall sharply.

There is another actor that I like very much from the Supernatural series, Jared Padalecki, who apparently had to turn down a part in a John Woo film because it conflicted with his comittment to his TV show. Now this was the kind of project that could potentially launch his career to another level. Or not. He lost out on the lead role in Conan the Barbarian partly because of his lack of availability and the film turned out to be a major turkey, so he dodged a bullet there. But he's happy to continue working on Supernatural because he enjoys it and it is a very steady income (very necessary given that he's got one child now and another on the way).

Chris has been exceptionally fortunate in having his first major professional part be one in a show as high profile as Glee, and a part as highly regarded as Kurt Hummel. He would be foolish at this stage to bite the hand that feeds him and think that he's beyond Glee at this point, so he does what he needs to in order to make the best of poor storylines and he maintains the outside projects that he can manage on his current filming schedule so that when the day does come that Glee ends, he has some real options. He's got a good reputation in the industry, and people apparently want to work with him so he's got a shot. After that, whether he succeeds or not is anyone's guess.
We'll see how Cory's movies do (they are small), but it looks like he was actually choosing reasonably well--and before he passed, people were talking about how he wasn't going to have many opportunities beyond Glee.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/29/2013, 12:29 pm

Delight wrote:
Lottie2303 wrote:
Puckturt is one of those ships I really need to give a go.... Even though I have very clear specifications that need to be met mrgreen 
The first Glee fanfic I've read is a Puckurt fic, 'Cause You’ve Got An Awfully Long Way To Go. I read it and liked it, during a time when I didn't know what Glee was about or what the characters looked like. You might wish to give it a try fanny2 

I've rec-ed the fic a while back on this page:
https://chriscolferfanforum.forumotion.com/t57p15-chris-kurt-requests-and-recommendations#1853

Ranwing wrote:
I fear that this may turn out to be Chris's fate one day, but I have faith that he's intelligent and sensible enough in choosing his future projects (judging from the Kurt-Hummel-alike roles he's turned down). As you've pointed out, there have been cases of successful movie actors who started off in TV sitcom land. I would add Leonardo Di Caprio and Joseph Gordon-Levitt to the list.

Also, Chris seems to have more options open for him, as he's already honing and demonstrating his skills as a screenwriter and an author. And then there's the possibility of theatre work for him in the future too.
Also Ashton Kutcher, right?

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/29/2013, 1:07 pm

Look at the young actors from "Dawson's Creek".

You have Joshua Jackson, James Van Der Beek, Katie Holmes, and Michelle Williams. They've all had careers post Dawson with varying degrees of success (Who would have thunk Michelle Williams would have been the one to become the "movie star" of the group) but its nothing like some of the fans of the show might have anticipated.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/29/2013, 1:18 pm

Buenos wrote:Look at the young actors from "Dawson's Creek".

You have Joshua Jackson, James Van Der Beek, Katie Holmes, and Michelle Williams.   They've all had  careers post Dawson with varying degrees of success (Who would have thunk Michelle Williams would have been the one to become the "movie star" of the group) but its nothing like some  of the fans of the show might have anticipated.

Wasn't Scott Foley also on Dawson's Creek, along with the show Felicity? He's also done well for starting on a teen/college show. He did a detour into theatre to help legitimize himself.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/29/2013, 1:39 pm

AnneNeville wrote:

You have Joshua Jackson, James Van Der Beek, Katie Holmes, and Michelle Williams.   They've all had  careers post Dawson with varying degrees of success (Who would have thunk Michelle Williams would have been the one to become the "movie star" of the group) but its nothing like some  of the fans of the show might have anticipated.

Wasn't Scott Foley also on Dawson's Creek, along with the show Felicity? He's also done well for starting on a teen/college show. He did a detour into theatre to help legitimize himself.
Was on Dawson's Creek for a short arc, than was on  the whole length of "Felicity".

He's kept pretty busy with other TV shows through the years, he was on "The Unit" for the run of that show (06-09), had a sad romantic tragic arc on Grey's Anatomy for about a year, and is now a regular on "Scandal."

IIRC he was married to Jennifer Garner way back.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/29/2013, 1:44 pm

Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

Was on Dawson's Creek for a short arc, than was on  the whole length of "Felicity".

He's kept pretty busy with other TV shows through the years, he was on "The Unit" for the run of that show (06-09), had a sad romantic tragic arc on Grey's Anatomy for about a year, and is now a regular on "Scandal."

IIRC he was married to Jennifer Garner way back.
Yes, he was, but they got divorced. He's married to Marika Dominczyk now.

I think that he'd be a good model for some of the Glee people. However, he is actually quite talented and I don't think people realize it. He's a far better actor than the weaker "pretty boy" types on Glee.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/29/2013, 1:51 pm

Ranwing wrote:...

As I'm more a Jensen girl, I didn't know about this offer. But you know, it gives me the impression that SPN actors are currently more worried of having an stablished work and income, and that what SPN give them, instead to risk themselves into a movie, which might launch their career to another lever or might not.

Going back to Glee, I believe that some of people of the cast won't experience the same success that they had because of Glee. Unless not in the same level. So I think they have to think carefully what are going to be their next projects, and to be honest I see most of them having either a tv or music career, when it comes to films, Dianna is the only one who gave me impression she could make it in that industry. Although, I think Cory would have made it too, because before he died he already had several projects, but he would have been more an indie film actor or romantic films like the one he did with Selena Gomez.

Speking of Chris, I foresee his future between writing and acting. As his has this passion for creating stories, I see him selling series to big networks, and who knows, being the lead character or support at least.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/29/2013, 1:56 pm

AnneNeville wrote:

I think that he'd be a good model for some of the Glee people. However, he is actually quite talented and I don't think people realize it. He's a far better actor than the weaker "pretty boy" types on Glee.
Well I always thought Scott Foley was both talented AND pretty. wub wub 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/29/2013, 1:58 pm

Michelle Williams is a great example, that sometimes you expect to be the least successful, suddenly make the best career. Maybe Kevin McHale will win Oscars one day and Lea Michele is on a reality show?! Stranger things have happened.

I guess if the rumors are true about the Disney movie Chris is writing, the biopic and the third book of LoS (plus potential movies one day), we already know three different areas Chris established himself successfully. In case he won't make it as an actor, I truly believe he has very good chances to write future screenplays for movies and TV-shows. From the entire cast (I leave out the 'adult' actors), he most certainly is the most versatile and probably willing one to venture in unconventionally business ideas (i.e. writing children novels). But of course, I hope he will be the next "Dexter Morgan" or "Walt" or "Soprano".
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/29/2013, 2:02 pm

Buenos wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

Well I always thought Scott Foley was both talented AND pretty.  wub wub 
He is! But . . . perhaps it's changed in the decade since I first encountered him, but wasn't he considered "just a pretty face" post-Felicity? I'm thinking around 2003.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/29/2013, 2:12 pm

brisallie wrote:
Ranwing wrote:...

As I'm more a Jensen girl, I didn't know about this offer. But you know, it gives me the impression that SPN actors are currently more worried of having an stablished work and income, and that what SPN give them, instead to risk themselves into a movie, which might launch their career to another lever or might not.

Going back to Glee, I believe that some of people of the cast won't experience the same success that they had because of Glee. Unless not in the same level. So I think they have to think carefully what are going to be their next projects, and to be honest I see most of them having either a tv or music career, when it comes to films, Dianna is the only one who gave me impression she could make it in that industry. Although, I think Cory would have made it too, because before he died he already had several projects, but he would have been more an indie film actor or romantic films like the one he did with Selena Gomez.

Speking of Chris, I foresee his future between writing and acting. As his has this passion for creating stories, I see him selling series to big networks, and who knows, being the lead character or support at least.
My own wish is that he get involved in something like an HBO "Game of Thrones", where they are more like mini movie series, they get a lot of prestige/critical buzz but still give the actor time to do movie projects  or  stage ventures.  The dragon gal of GoT got a recent Broadway gig in the stage version of "Breakfast at Tiffany's."

Movies are like an incredible wait time, sometimes over plus two or three years before they are released.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 8/29/2013, 6:21 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
Kurt Hummel wrote:Since we're talking about pairings, I was so bored that I started a Puckurt role play. Idk why! I don't even like the pairing! This hiatus is really getting to me. blinkk
I am sorry, but that cracked me up ptdr 

Haha. I usually roleplay just Klaine but when I'm bored, I'm up for anything.
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 8/30/2013, 2:12 am

Sometimes when I'm bored I will watch random videos. This is one of my favorite Klaine videos because of how well it's put together. wub 

crycry 
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/30/2013, 2:16 am

Hehe
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 9/2/2013, 5:50 am

Has anyone ever seen this? It's the cast commenting on the Pilot episode.

I had no idea there so many parts. blinkk I'm currently on part 2.
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 9/2/2013, 1:46 pm

Kurt Hummel wrote:Has anyone ever seen this? It's the cast commenting on the Pilot episode.

I had no idea there so many parts. blinkk I'm currently on part 2.
I saw it. And it weird to see the Pilot because so many things have changed since then. For instance Mr. Shue isn't that important anymore.

And I love when Jane said Chris is a man now, and the Cory repeats the same Razz 
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 9/2/2013, 3:31 pm

We really need some Chris news, don't we?! It is awfully quiet here :( 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 21 ... 40  Next