Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24

+18
M&M
valkeakuulas
brisallie
TimF
YaoiChick
Lottie2303
Delight
ChrisColferFan1
Ireth
bayth
Georgette888
Glorfindel
fantastica
Ranwing
coxfire
Buenos
Divalicious
ColferInspired
22 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24

Post  Ranwing 5/5/2014, 9:41 pm

I'd just like to call attention to the utter perfection that is Mr. Christopher Paul Colfer.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n54hvh2L3W1rit0mko1_500

ded
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24

Post  Buenos 5/5/2014, 10:25 pm

I do agree "The Quarterback" was a special, exceptional example.

And yes, Chis Colfer is both so talented and very adorable.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/5/2014, 11:16 pm

http://www.tvguide.com/News/Glee-Chris-Colfer-Writing-Debut-1081296.aspx

On any given episode, the cast of Glee goes through intense choreography lessons and lengthy recording studio sessions on top of the many hours spent on set filming. But star Chris Colfer had to go to even further lengths, and greater pains, for Tuesday's new episode of the Fox musical (8/7c, Fox) in particular.
"I should have taken pictures of the welts that the wires caused," Colfer tells TVGuide.com with a laugh. "I definitely suffered for this art."
The Golden Globe winner went the extra mile in more ways than one. In addition to the injuries he sustained while in harnesses for his character's latest role playing Peter Pan, Tuesday's episode also marks Colfer's writing debut for the series.
Get scoop on the Glee season finale and more
In the years since Glee's premiere, Colfer has written a film, Struck By Lightning — in which he also starred — and two New York Times best-selling children's novels. (The third in the series hits stores July 8.) But despite his extensive writing experience, Colfer admits he was very hesitant to take the "steering wheel of the bus that is Glee," as he puts it. "Glee is not my world. These aren't my characters. I would never want to tamper or damage them," Colfer says. "I certainly have been in Kurt's head for a long time so I definitely knew how to voice him. ... I was just terrified to write for my co-stars because I would never want to write something that they didn't agree with or they didn't like."
One character in particular gave him pause. "Rachel's been such a main focus of the show for a very long time and I didn't want to give her anything that would come across as repetitive or that would make the character unlikeable or overly compassionate," he says.
However, the writers were able to convince Colfer to take the leap. "I went into it really terrified, not knowing what to expect. Not knowing if I would have guidelines and what they would be or if I would get to tell a story that I wanted to tell," he says. "I think I was very, very spoiled when it comes to this because they were really so open-minded and they really let me tell a story that I wanted."
Season MVPs: This year's best performers
Although Colfer was unable to fulfill his dream of sinking a ship on stage — "that was going to be very expensive," he explains — the actor did get the thumbs up for Kurt's story line, in which he joins an assisted living home production about the boy from Neverland. "I've always wanted to do something like Peter Pan that involved harnesses and cool special effects," he says.
Starring in the (fictional) production not only symbolizes a dream realized for Colfer, but an important achievement for his character as well. "Kurt himself was feeling very much cast aside by his friends in this particular episode," he says. "It is a very, very unlikely place that he finds himself in, but he really finds the validation that he's been looking for since he arrived in New York."
Despite his initial fears, Colfer received the same validation from his co-stars about his first Glee script behind the scenes. "My phone was blowing up," he recalls. "They were very supportive, and I think they all really enjoyed the story. ... I hope so. At least that's what they said."
Watch the latest episode of Glee here
In contrast to his writing anxieties, Colfer was at ease when it came time to actually shoot the Peter Pan sequences. "The costume was very comfortable. I am very, very excited that they didn't go with the typical tights and spandex that he usually wears, and the harness was actually more comfortable than I thought," he says. "I did have major, huge flesh wounds from hitting the wires constantly on my shoulders but other than that, it was pretty seamless."
It's not only the costume that deviates from the traditional Peter Pan get-up. "When they're doing Peter Pan, they do a modern twist to it. They sing 'Lucky Star' when he's talking about Neverland," says Colfer, who also picked out many of Kurt's songs for the episode. "Even though everyone knows I'm a very selfish writer and I wrote a lot of things that I wanted to do, I really picked songs that fit the story line the best. He sings 'Memory' from Cats, and I think it's very, very fitting because he's in a retirement home and that song, it's so beautiful and it's all about a life that someone used to live."
The episode may be wrapped and ready to air, but Colfer's nerves haven't completely subsided quite yet. "I think I will be tweeting up a storm leading up to it but once it airs, I might take a step back because I'm terrified to be honest. I just hope people like it and I hope its good and I hope that the message that I intended comes across," he says. "I just don't want to let anyone down. There's a lot riding on it."
Public approval from the always vocal Gleeks, Colfer says, is also a determining factor in whether he'll write another episode for Glee next season — the show's last. "Then maybe I will get asked to come back, and then I'll have to think of another story I want to tell," he says. "There's no such thing as a day off on Glee because you're either in the recording studio or in dance rehearsals. So it doesn't quite seem like the end is as close to us as it does to the rest of the world because we still have a full season to do. So I think once Season 6 is over with, I think that's when I'll be a little sad."
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/5/2014, 11:24 pm

The episode may be wrapped and ready to air, but Colfer's nerves haven't completely subsided quite yet. "I think I will be tweeting up a storm leading up to it but once it airs, I might take a step back because I'm terrified to be honest. I just hope people like it and I hope its good and I hope that the message that I intended comes across," he says. "I just don't want to let anyone down. There's a lot riding on it."
Public approval from the always vocal Gleeks, Colfer says, is also a determining factor in whether he'll write another episode for Glee next season — the show's last. "Then maybe I will get asked to come back, and then I'll have to think of another story I want to tell," he says. "There's no such thing as a day off on Glee because you're either in the recording studio or in dance rehearsals. So it doesn't quite seem like the end is as close to us as it does to the rest of the world because we still have a full season to do. So I think once Season 6 is over with, I think that's when I'll be a little sad."

It's quotes like these that some seem to be ignored when building up the speculation that Chris is so over Glee and wishes it to end. I suspect he's not thrilled with everything on the show (which actor truly is?) but at the same time he's so busy working in Glee that he doesn't seem to have the luxury to wallow in self pity.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/5/2014, 11:46 pm

http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/05/05/3911417/colfer-finds-glee-in-writing-episode.html?sp=/99/1355/

No one knows the "Glee" character Kurt Hummel better than Chris Colfer. The Clovis East High School graduate has played the affable student in the FOX series for five seasons.

So when "Glee" producers approached him about writing an episode of the show this season, Colfer wasn't worried about putting words in the mouth of his character. It was writing for all of the other cast members that gave him pause.

"It was a very daunting idea. I have been inside Kurt's head for years, but I was beyond terrified that I would write something for one of my co-stars that they would hate," says Colfer, who loves the series so much that he didn't want to do anything to "bastardize it."

After getting the offer in January, Colfer spent a couple of weeks weighing the idea before finally deciding to bravely leap into writing. His show, "Old Dog, New Tricks," airs tonight.

Writing scripts is nothing new for Colfer. He penned the script for the feature film version of his book "Struck by Lightning" and wrote the script for the TV movie "The Little Leftover Witch." The difference was Colfer didn't know those actors for years.

Although there were certain plot points — part of the overall writing plan for the series — that Colfer had to include in the episode, he was told he could write whatever he wanted for the rest of the episode.

The story line looks at what happens when Kurt falls into a funk after realizing those around him have more career success than he does as an intern at Vogue. As if Kurt's life wasn't already funked up enough, he finds himself in the middle of a production of "Peter Pan" at a senior citizen home.

Colfer waited to write the episode — the 19th of the season — until filming had started on episode 17. That gave him only a couple of weeks to get the script done, but he wanted to see where the characters were in their lives before he started writing.

The delay ended up being a blessing in disguise.

Colfer wanted to get the project going before NBC announced it would air a live production of "Peter Pan" next year. He was afraid that decision would make it hard to get the rights for the musical numbers from the Broadway show to use in his episode.

Once the NBC plans were released, Colfer had to change direction. He wrote the story so that Kurt persuades the nursing home actors to do an updated version of "Peter Pan" using modern music rather than the original score. In the process, Kurt learns a lesson about how a person can make a difference in an unexpected way.

Writing the script gave Colfer a chance to live out a theatrical dream.

"I never got the chance to appear in a production of 'Peter Pan,' but I always wanted to fly on stage," Colfer says. "In the episode, I am singing Madonna's 'Lucky Star' while wearing sunglasses and flying over the stage in a harness."

As with every episode of "Glee," the music is a major part of the story. The songlist — a combination of suggestions by Colfer and other writers — was set first.

Colfer ironed out the last bits of the story when he met with the show's regular group of writers who updated him on events of episode 18.

Now that his episode is is about to air, Colfer has moved on to the other projects.

His third book in the "The Land of Stories" series will be released July 8 (playing off a cliffhanger from the second book). Colfer will play Wendie Malick's son in an episode of "Hot In Cleveland," and he is providing a voice for the animated feature film "Robodog." Several other projects are pending, but Colfer doesn't want to talk about them at this time.

Then it will be back for another season of "Glee." Colfer is not certain what is in store for next year. All he is concerned with now is that fans like the episode he wrote.

"I was worried at the beginning that writing the script would be too much of a handful," he says. "Now that it's over, I'm happy they asked me to do it."

SHOW INFO
"Glee": 8 p.m. Tuesday, May 6, on KMPH (Channel 26.1)

Read more here: http://www.fresnobee.com/2014/05/05/3911417/colfer-finds-glee-in-writing-episode.html?sp=/99/1355/#storylink=cpy
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 5/6/2014, 3:08 am

'Several other projects are pending, but Colfer doesn't want to talk about them at this time.'

Oooooh...

Last edited by Georgette888 on 5/6/2014, 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/6/2014, 3:12 am

Georgette888 wrote:'Several other projects are pending, but Colfer doesn't walk to talk about them at this time.'

Oooooh...

This is very intriguing. Can't wait!
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/6/2014, 4:06 am

so the "several other projects" do not include stuff we already know. hmmm - really excited to hear about them SOON (fingers cross)
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 5/6/2014, 4:38 am

Buenos wrote:

It's quotes like these that some seem to be ignored when building up the speculation that Chris is so over Glee and wishes it to end. I suspect he's not thrilled with everything on the show (which actor truly is?) but at the same time he's so busy working in Glee that he doesn't seem to have the luxury to wallow in self pity.

I don't think people stating it ignore that, but just because you have a ping of nostalgia and sadness when you end a project doesn't mean you're not ready to go explore other horizons. I changed jobs two times, and I remember that, although I was happy to change and start a new adventure in another firm, I also was sad to quit my friends, the colleagues I loved working with, etc.
I'm sure Chris will be sad to see Glee end, but wether it is because he'll miss the show itself, or because it will be the end of an era (it was his very first job as an actor afterall), one can not tell. Yes, Chris says he'll be sad, but he also doesn't say he wishes they had more seasons. He might not be "so over Glee", but he seems ready to do something else.
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/6/2014, 5:10 am

Chris loves to be challenged.

He loves the crew, they are like family, as some of the cast probably still is.

Of course he will be sad when it all ends.

Projects pending - I love the sound of that.  neutre
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/6/2014, 5:21 am

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n551kqfAIY1qhc67do1_500
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n551kqfAIY1qhc67do2_500

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n551kqfAIY1qhc67do3_500

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n551kqfAIY1qhc67do4_500

These are fan made.

Last edited by ColferInspired on 5/6/2014, 5:37 am; edited 1 time in total
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/6/2014, 5:22 am

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n54o0ciefm1qe476yo1_500
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 5/6/2014, 5:30 am

Chris Colfer  written Glee  episode airs in  under 24 hours, Looking forward  to it and can hardly wait.  It has been a long time since I was excited about a Glee episode.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/6/2014, 5:37 am

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n54t92sMTN1qe476yo1_500
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/6/2014, 5:37 am

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n54spoq5vI1sg9z6fo1_500
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/6/2014, 5:40 am

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Tumblr_n54kw4fcnE1qjlzrgo1_500

Finally.  fanny2
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/6/2014, 8:27 am

Glorfindel wrote:

Glee's Chris Colfer on His Writing Debut, Klaine's Rocky Future and 'Possibilities' For Season 6
by Andy Swift

TVLINE | Was there anything you wanted to do, but couldn’t for whatever reason?
They only gave me two guidelines when they gave me the job: I couldn’t break up with Blaine and I couldn’t kill anyone. They really gave me so much freedom with this. I was terrified going into it. I didn’t know what to expect, and I didn’t know if I’d be able to tell the story I wanted to tell, but the writers gave me so much room to play with. It was an incredible experience.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 24 - Page 2 Glee-kurt-blaine-blog

TVLINE | So we shouldn’t expect Kurt to break up with, then murder, Blaine?
No, no that won’t happen in this episode. Maybe Season 6, but the blood won’t be on my hands. That’ll be someone else’s episode.

The guidelines Chris had been given, and the follow up question by the interviewer, had me laughing out loud.  Razz 

Heh heh, it's amusing to think that Chris had entertained the thought of Blaine being murdered next season. But of course, that's probably just his wit and sarcasm showing. I hope there aren't any humourless K(B)lainers out there giving Chris grief for his comments.

Georgette888 wrote:'Several other projects are pending, but Colfer doesn't want to talk about them at this time.'

Oooooh...

That line in the article caught my attention as well. Second movie? More books? Album? Stage performance?

Guess we'll have to be patient and wait for Chris to unveil his new projects one by one as they come to fruition.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/6/2014, 1:43 pm

With a Glee end deadline in sight, May 2015. Now it's much easier for Chris to start signing up and committing to future projects.

12 months and counting in show biz isn't much advance time. Wouldn't be surprised if his Calender is already getting booked up for the latter half of 2015.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 5/6/2014, 1:50 pm

Buenos wrote:With a Glee end deadline in sight, May 2015. Now it's much easier for Chris to start signing up and committing to future projects.

12 months and counting in show biz isn't much advance time.  Wouldn't be surprised if his Calender is already getting booked up for the latter half of 2015.

So true. I have no doubt that once the deadline was announced last year even, deals and discussions started. One year from now the end of Glee will be final (well, maybe not completely if they manage to snatch 24 episodes despite abysmal ratings), and you're totally right, Buenos, future projects start being discussed now.

I'm still pending for Chris to reveal what is the biography he said he was definitely doing.

But anyway: Chris episode is nigh!! I'll have to fight my insomnia tonight and NOT come here spoil myself at 3AM...Tough...
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/6/2014, 2:08 pm

The one advantage Chris has is that his writing career is something he could do even working full time on Glee, so that once Glee finishes he will already have had 6 books under his belt.

Easier then the Glee cast who aspire to recording careers.

Would not be surprised if the books still sell well for a continuos franchise of LOS stories to go on. Chris has mentioned he's already gotten movie offers for the series. Knowing him I'm sure he'd love to be involved in the screenplays.

A Brian Fuller type (who's twittered about his love for Chris more than once) would be chomping on the bit for Chris to be available for projects. Once again, Chris doesn't kiss ass, he kicks ass.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/6/2014, 2:16 pm

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/05/06/chris-colfer-glee-writing-kurt-series-finale/

Glee star Chris Colfer has already written a feature film, a children’s book series, and a Disney Channel pilot, so it seemed only natural that the budding scribe would be tapped by the forces that Glee to write an episode for the musical series.
Related
Glee: See Full Coverage
“Old Dogs, New Tricks,” the penultimate episode in Glee‘s fifth season, marks Colfer’s first time stepping into the writers’ room, which posed its own set of challenges and intimidating factors for the young star. In anticipation of the episode (airing tonight at 8 p.m. on Fox), Colfer spoke with EW about the episode, his writing future, and where he’d like Kurt to end up when Glee ends its run next year.
ENTERTAINMENT WEEKLY: Which came first: the idea that you would write an episode, or your idea for the episode itself?
CHRIS COLFER: This is not something that I ever approached them about. Even in interviews, for years, everyone’s always asked me if I wanted to write an episode of Glee, and I always said no because it wasn’t my world and my characters, so I was very surprised when they came to me in January and said, “Would you be interested in writing?” I remember Brad Falchuk called me one night and asked, and I said, “Let me think about it, let me think if I have a story in me that would be worth telling.” So I came up with an idea about Kurt joining an assisted living production of Peter Pan. I thought that would be hysterical and I told them, “I think I have a story!”
You’ve been on the set for years, but was the writers’ room a completely different world for you?
It’s funny, because prior to working on this episode, I had never even been to the writers’ room. I didn’t even know where it was on Paramount. I was very, very nervous going in, because I didn’t know what to expect at all. I had never been in a writers’ room of any show, and I didn’t know if they would have a bunch of guidelines to give me, or if they would like the story that I wanted to tell. But they were so good to me and they were very generous and open-minded.
GET MORE EW: Subscribe to the magazine for only 33¢ an issue!
Tell me about the actual episode you wrote. Why Peter Pan?
When you watch the episode, it’ll make a little bit more sense. Kurt kind of acts as Peter Pan when he comes into the retirement home. He slides in and teaches everyone to be young again, very much like Peter did to the Darlings, and then there’s a whole element in the other storyline where Rachel starts an animal charity for dogs called Broadway Bitches, and it’s all about helping those who have a hard time helping themselves, and really celebrates the literal underdog. It’s all a big theme.
You told EW before that you wanted to torture some of your fellow actors. Did you?
You know, I am all squawk and no waddle. Of course I didn’t do that, I was actually terrified what they would think when they got the script, and they all seemed very supportive and seemed like they really liked it, so I hope that was true. I hope they weren’t just telling me that. But I didn’t torture them. I tortured myself a little bit just worrying about it.
Who was the hardest character to write for?
Probably Rachel, just because she’s gone through so much on the show. I didn’t want anything she said to come off as being repetitive, and I also didn’t want to have Lea say anything that she wouldn’t be happy with.
Where do the songs fit in to the writing process? Did you have a strong say in the song choices?
I wanted the songs to be more appropriate and I think every song in the episode is fits the storyline perfectly. For example, I go to the retirement home and I sing “Memory” with the old people and it’s very fitting because the whole song is about a life that you once lived, and kind of being cast aside, and that’s how these old folks feel in this home and how Kurt himself feels he’s been treated by his friends. And then later he convinces them to do more of a modern approach to Peter Pan, so when they sing “Neverland,” they sing Madonna’s “Lucky Star.”
My heart bleeds a little picturing June Squibb doing all this.
If anyone watches this episode for any reason, it has to be for June Squibb because she is incredible! I cannot describe in words how truly amazing that woman is. She, at 83 years old, came in and was on her feet for 14 hours a day with the rest of us, singing really hard pop songs, dancing. She just blew all of us away. I get chills when I think about just how incredible she was, and I really hope she gets recognized for it because she just kicked ass.
In the future, do you see yourself more in a writers’ room or on screen?
I juggle with that a lot. I love performing and I love acting and I think I really got into acting for the right reasons, because I liked the physical craft of it and I liked becoming someone else. Sometimes I wonder if I am cut out to really be an actor these days because there’s that whole element of being known that I don’t know if I’m really good at. Whereas if I’m a writer, I can do it all from my bedroom in my pajamas except for the occasional book tour. But I love them both the same. I think it’s just more the side effects which each job brings.
Do you have a writing routine? Any rituals or habits?
I think one of the reasons why I’m able to write as much as I do is because I’ve never had the luxury of having tricks to get into the writing mood. When I have an hour, I have to use that hour to write, so I’ve never been able to develop a technique. I guess the technique is I have no technique.
Tease up the rest of the season for Kurt. Where do we find him when the season ends?
I think after having this experience in the retirement home and finding validation that he’s been looking for since he got to New York, he’s definitely in a happier mindset. I think fans are going to like the final episode because it gets pretty dramatic with Kurt and Blaine, but for the most part I think the season will end giving each character a nice season five send-off.
Do you have in your head a happy ending for Kurt? What do you envision for him at the end of the series?
Unless they plan a complete U-turn, I think he’ll definitely end up with Blaine, but I think a lot about Kurt, ever since we were introduced to him, is him trying to find happiness and validation from an outside source. Oh, if I have a boyfriend, it’ll validate me. If I have a best friend, it’ll validate me. If I have a leading role in a show, it’ll validate me. But I would really like, before the series ends, for him to find the validation within himself and for him to realize that happiness is going to come from him, not from someone else. That would be a happy ending for me.

God I fucking love his read on Kurt.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/6/2014, 2:23 pm

http://www.vulture.com/2014/05/chris-colfer-writing-glee-episode-interview.html?mid=googlenews

Warning Will Robinson!! Episode spoilers ahead!!!!!!'

Chris Colfer says he was only given two instructions when he walked into the Glee writers' room this spring to try his hand at an episode: He couldn’t break up Kurt and Blaine, and he couldn’t kill off any characters. Other than that, Colfer had free reign in the season’s penultimate episode, “Old Dog, New Tricks,” which airs tonight on Fox. While he has varied writing credits under his belt — including the 2012 indie film Struck by Lightning and the New York Times best-selling Land of Stories novels — scripting Glee was Colfer’s first TV writers’ room experience, and his first musical as well. We caught up with the Golden Globe winner to discuss his writing process, giving Kurt his own story line, and why the hyperpassionate Klaine fans should not send him mean tweets.
Can you describe the process of taking on the writing of a Glee episode?
I’ve been asked for years if I ever wanted to write an episode for Glee, but I always said I never did. Glee was not my world, it was not my creation, and I would never want to tamper it or damage it in any way. So when they came to me and they asked me if I wanted to write an episode, I was very very shocked. But it was definitely an opportunity I couldn’t turn down. I was very, very apprehensive when I walked into the writers' room for the first time. I knew there was a story I wanted to tell, but I didn’t know if I was going to be able to. Or if they had a story they wanted me to write, or what kind of guidelines they would give me. They really were just rock stars about it. They were so patient and so generous, and they let me tell the story I wanted to tell. It was a great experience thanks to them.
You penned the second-to-last episode of the season; that’s usually a pretty prestige spot. What kind of guidelines did you get?
That element made it more nerve-wracking. They gave me two guidelines, one that I couldn’t break up with Blaine and two that I couldn’t kill anyone.
So then you crumbled up the paper and went, “Now I have nothing!” — right?
Well, what’s the point! [Laughs.] They were very open. I wasn’t expecting them to give me the keys to the car as much as they did.
Was the Kurt story line something you’d wanted for a long time, or was it a new idea?
One night I got a call from (Glee co-creator) Brad Falchuk asking if I’d be interested in writing an episode. I said, “I don’t know, I have to think about it and see if I have a story in me that I think is worth telling.” Two of my favorite things in the world are old people and animals, so I’m sure I could have a story about that. So I came up with Rachel starting a charity called Broadway Bitches. And I’ve always wanted to do crazy acrobatic stunt stuff, so I thought, Wouldn’t it be funny if Kurt joins a production of Peter Pan in an assisted living home? Everyone I would share that idea with would laugh, so I thought that must be funny. That’s how it went.
Were there elements in the script you never expected to get away with?
Well, the old people in the retirement home are so feisty. I pray no one thinks I was making fun of old people with it, but there are lines like “Debbie, hearing aids on during rehearsal.” There’s actually one, well ... The reason why Kurt joins the production in the first place is a big part of the show. I wasn’t sure I was going to get away with that element. The woman playing Peter Pan dies in rehearsal. He comes to visit his friend Maggie, and while they’re in rehearsal Peter unfortunately dies and [Kurt] goes “I can fill in!” — and he does.
For much of high school, Kurt sided with the girls in group events. But this week, he’s not taking part of the girls’ charity event but instead striking out on his own. Is that indicative of Kurt changing since he’s left Ohio?
It’s less about girls, but more about how all the girls have made names for themselves since they moved to New York. It has little to do with him not being one of the girls anymore, but the fact that his name couldn’t draw a crowd like the other performers. Rachel is doing Broadway; Santana and Mercedes are doing their recording artist careers.
Your episode doesn’t address the Kurt and Blaine relationship directly. Was that a choice on your part?
It was definitely a conscious choice on my part. I wanted Kurt to have a story that was his own. That wasn’t about his relationship with Blaine, or supporting someone else like Rachel. I really wanted him to have his own moment.  I have to say, in my episode, Kurt and Blaine are completely fine. They’re completely happy, so if something does happen to them down the road, it’s not my fault. The fans don’t have to send me the angry tweets. Kurt and Blaine are fine in my episode.

They’ll send you the angry tweets no matter what. I loved last week when Glee talked about the perils of Twitter and social media for performers, deliciously meta for what you have to deal with as actors on the show.
It is crazy. It all happened when the show started. I remember being on Glee when Twitter became popular. It’s crazy how much it changed. Prior to that, the only way you’d hear feedback from the audience was fan mail or maybe comments on a website. Not every person on earth had the right to say whatever they wanted to whoever they wanted. It’s insane.
Darren Criss got to work with Shirley MacLaine recently, and now you get June Squibb, Tim Conway, and Billy Dee Williams. Is it some kind of game for who can work with the most seasoned actors?
If it’s a game, I’m winning. [Laughs.] I’m definitely winning in numbers. But anytime we get someone seasoned, or someone who’s a living legend, I freak out. I am over the moon anytime someone like Shirley MacLaine or June Squibb or Tim Conway are part of the show.
Did you have a favorite character to write for?
June Squibb’s character, she’s a feisty old lady. Feisty old ladies are my favorite human beings on the planet. Also, I think Artie and Santana were really fun to write for.
Did any of your castmates lobby you for songs or scenes once they knew you were writing?
It was more lobbying them, and being like, “Please tell me if you hate anything.” I was very, very nervous for them to get the script. But I didn’t get any nasty texts, so that’s good.
Did you stay on set to watch the scenes you weren’t needed in? Or stay away?
It’s very nerve-wracking to watch people say the words that you’ve written. I learned that when I did my movie Struck by Lightning. But it was even harder to do that in this environment because I’ve known everyone for so long. We’ve been on the show for six years, and to suddenly take the steering wheel was very nerve-wracking. So if I wasn’t needed for a scene I would let everyone do their thing. I did not stay. I let everyone do their own job.
Did you have any say in veteran Glee director Bradley Buecker working on on your episode?
I didn’t have any say, but I was so excited that Brad was directing it. He is one of my favorite directors we work with on Glee. I was so excited he got chosen. That was one of the reasons I was able to walk away from set when I didn’t have to be there because I knew it was in very good hands.
Was there anything you couldn’t fit in the episode or that hit the cutting-room floor?
Not really! I just wanted to do a story that would remind us of Glee season one, the underdogs. What better underdogs than actual physical dogs themselves, and some old people who need some love?
What was the biggest challenge in writing a Glee script?
The most difficult thing was finding the time to write. We were filming while I was writing it. I really only had in between scenes and during lighting setup to write the episode. That was the most challenging, and then once everyone got the script that was really difficult personally because I just wanted everyone to like it or to hate anything I’d written for them.
Do you have some sort of secret focus and organization trick, to be able to do all the writing you do while filming?
It’s very difficult, and it’s something I wouldn’t recommend anyone to do. It’s mentally juggling. You only have a certain amount of hours in the day, so you've got to force yourself through it. It comes with a lot of practice. I’ve written many books in between lighting setups and scenes, so I think I’m used it to by now.
Do you think you’d know how to write like you do without the pressure of lots of other things happening at once?
That’s actually a really good point. I think I do my best writing when I am working on something else. I think some of my best ideas came to me when I was a kid because I was bored in school and I would daydream all day. I think I work the best when my mind is occupied with something else.
You’ve gone through the production of a film you wrote and now a TV episode. Do you prefer one to the other?
I think with films and novels, as the writer — at least in my experience — you have full control of the story. TV is very much a collaboration. When I went in the writers room for Glee for the first time, I had never collaborated, ever. I do like having control, so when I write something I know they’re my characters and it’s my world. I guess I could do that with TV it was my own show.
Yes, you can become Ryan Murphy.
Exactly, yes. As long as when I’m writing there’s not a chance of upsetting anyone, I’m happy.
Any plans for your hiatus from Glee for the summer — vacation or more work?
I honestly need to go on a vacation, badly, but I don’t have one planned. I have a lot of other work planned this summer.
There was a movie based in an asylum you’ve talked about before. Is that still in the works?
It’s still in the works. I have a good three meetings about that project a month. It’s very difficult for me to write and produce something while I’m filming Glee. I might have to wait until Glee is over to do that. I did Struck by Lightning while I was filming Glee and it was very, very difficult. It was like having two full-time jobs at once. I think I’ll have to wait until after Glee is over to give that project the attention it deserves.
And now the most important question: How does your cat, Brian, feel about your having written an episode all about dogs?
Brian is very upset. He had some words with me about it. I think we’ll be able to mend it and be fine. I initially wanted it to be about cats and dogs, but the title Broadway Bitches was too good not to use. So Brian was denied his cameo.
He could be on Brittany’s Fondue for Two, a cat guest.
He could be Lord Tubbington’s cousin. I like this idea.
For your next episode! Have they invited you back to the writers’ room yet?
To be completely honest, I think it depends on if people like it or not. [Laughs.] If people don’t like this episode, I don’t think they’ll ask me to come back. I hope people do.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/6/2014, 2:52 pm

I seriously fall more in love with Chris. All those interviews are witty, entertaining, throw shade but are also very informative  panik 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/6/2014, 2:52 pm

thanks for the warning. will have to come back to read those wonderful interviews after the episode airs tonight. Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 5/6/2014, 3:00 pm

The latest interview printed is the best of the lot. Very informative. I'm happy to hear he is still working on his asylum movie.

It's good to be us. We all decided to back the right horse from the Glee universe. Chris Colfer is talented, modest, gorgeous specimen. I'm so glad he decided to take the chance and audition for Glee. The world is a much brighter, happier place with him in it - sharing himself with all of us.
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next