Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread

+23
Delight
sheny
jaime20
valkeakuulas
bayth
Buenos
Glorfindel
Ireth
coxfire
Lottie2303
arina
ColdFlame96
murasaki1
fantastica
ladydianab
AnneNeville
brisallie
TimF
ColferInspired
ChrisColferFan1
Ranwing
Jellyrolls
tanita_mors
27 posters

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_lcap73%5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 73% 
[ 16 ]
5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_lcap23%5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 23% 
[ 5 ]
5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_lcap4%5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 4% 
[ 1 ]
5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_lcap0%5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]

Total Votes : 22

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Glorfindel 10/11/2013, 11:17 pm

brisallie wrote:And please, can anyone tell me in what episode he said "The show must go all over the places...", I remember he said that, but I totally forgot the episode. I guess it was season one.
Night of Neglect!!!!!!! bounce 

Lawd, this has been bugging me ever since the episode aired. I knew Finn said it in either season 1 or 2 but it took me forever to remember it. It was when Sunshine Corazon didn't show for the concert and everyone wanted to give up, but then Finn gave them a peptalk.
Yessssss, I found it!!!! hiphopa
(Now I can go to sleep, lol.)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Empty Re: 5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  brisallie 10/11/2013, 11:20 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
brisallie wrote:And please, can anyone tell me in what episode he said "The show must go all over the places...", I remember he said that, but I totally forgot the episode. I guess it was season one.
Night of Neglect!!!!!!! bounce 

Lawd, this has been bugging me ever since the episode aired. I knew Finn said it in either season 1 or 2 but it took me forever to remember it. It was when Sunshine Corazon didn't show for the concert and everyone wanted to give up, but then Finn gave them a peptalk.
Yessssss, I found it!!!! hiphopa
(Now I can go to sleep, lol.)
Thanks Marie. And I barely remember that episode, probably because I didn't put it so much attention. And that the Finn I want to remember: the one who used to give peptalk to his friends, like in Sectionals season 1
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/11/2013, 11:27 pm

brisallie wrote:Thanks Marie. And I barely remember that episode, probably because I didn't put it so much attention. And that the Finn I want to remember: the one who used to give peptalk to his friends, like in Sectionals season 1
Well, 'Night of Neglect' was one of Glee's worst episodes, and I don't think I saw it more than maybe 2-3 times. Plus it had hardly any Kurt in it.

I knew Finn said it before a concert or performance of some kind, so I just systematically ff on my laptop through some episodes which had public performances in it untill I found it.
TBH: I thought Finn had said it at season 1 Sectionals.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 10/12/2013, 1:32 am

Overall I think it was really respectful and touching tribute episode. The Hudmel family, Puck, Rachel, Santana, Sue...they all broke my heart. And seeing Kevin's or Chord face during the episode was extremely sad too. :( The songs were really good and fitting and there wasn't any performance I wouldn't like. And I loved the references to the old episodes...

But I had a big problem with is Puck's story or rather the end of Puck story... It kinda seemed like it was the final end for Puck on the show and him going away with everyone thinking he was the one who took the jacket and being angry at him, with him getting goodbye just from Beiste - it was really depressing. I really hope we'll get to see him again before the show ends.

(The most I of course hate the fact the episode had to be done in the first place crycry ... And I thought seeing this episode will finally make me realize the terrible fact we'll never see Cory again but I think it still hasnt't hit me yet...)

Love the acapela version of Seasons of love and Chris is really well audible on it. wub 
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 10/12/2013, 4:08 am

This is the first Glee episode in a long time that I didn't skip any of the songs or scenes. They've done well to focus on the old Glee cast/characters and let the strong actors do the drama-heavy scenes.

This episode has such a wealth of Kurt scenes that I find myself content even if we didn't get any songs for him. I just love it when Kurt gets to have scenes with characters other than Blaine and Rachel or a change. So, we have:
-The Kurt voice-over scene after the opening number.
-Sue and Kurt scene in the principal's office. (Ah, how I miss hearing that porcelain nickname)
- The Hudmel family scene with Carol and Burt in Finn's room. Not going to lie-- I wept big, ugly tears while watching this. Doing the trip down memory lane using the various mementos in Finn's room (i.e. the faggy lamp, the football from the match where Kurt kicked the winning goal, Finn's letterman jacket) was a nice touch. Kurt wearing the jacket and smelling it is so harrowing to watch. It's not just Chris. Mike O'Malley and Romy Rosemont also gave really heart-wrenching performances here.  
- Kurt and Puck scene at the dumpster. Wow, Kurt was fierce in his confrontation with Puck. It's a sight to behold when the writers allow Kurt to display his inner strength and backbone.
- Kurt and Santana in the auditorium, and Kurt giving Finn's jacket to her. It's a nice scene, though I'm surprised that it was Santana and not Rachel who earned the right to the jacket.
- Kurt showing up in the school corridor with Rachel on his arm
- And, of course, the various close ups of Kurt during the song performances in the choir room.

Watching the reaction shots of the various old Glee cast members in the choir room reminds me of how much I miss seeing them together in that room. Also, knowing that the expression of sadness and grief on their faces are genuine makes the scenes even more moving.

Seasons of Love- one of the rare times when New Directions sounds like an actual choir. Kurt got one solo line, and I'm pleasantly surprised.

As commented by other people, I also find Santana's angry outburst at Sue Sylvester to be a bit odd. Santana accusing Sue of never having a good thing to say about Finn is a bit hypocritical though, since she's guilty of the same thing. It's obvious that Santana is still at the anger stage of grief.

I do not envy Jenna's fans. They've made Tina's self-absorbed mode of mourning (i.e. being more concerned about having to wear so much gothic black) the butt of a joke. It's amusing that Emma has little tolerance for such behaviour and shoved the 'It's not all about you', 'when to stop talking' and 'wait, am I callous?' pamphlets into Tina's hands.

Puck has an angry outburst at Beiste in the locker room. That's another person at the anger stage of grief.

I find Puck's song to be quite appropriate, with the lyrics about drums and guitar.

The seating arrangement in the choir room is strange, with Blaine sitting right next to KUrt only once-- and it's during Rachel's song performance. Don't get me wrong, I'm actually quite happy that Blaine is mostly standing or sitting some distance away from Kurt throughout the whole episode and they haven't had a single line of dialogue between them.

Rachel's scenes in the episode are quite limited (which I believe is intentional to spare Lea). Also, Rachel came across to me to be oddly detached. Even when it comes to the song performances, I find Santana's one whereby she broke down in hysterical tears before she could finish the song to be a more powerful display of grief over losing Finn. Howevr, I give kudos to Lea for being able to still do her part in this episode.

The final scene whereby Will was crying while holding onto Finn's letterman jacket is the only other scene in the whole episode-- other than the Hudmel famiy one-- that made me cry (Though I can't help feeling a bit astounded that Will had allowed Puck to take the blame for the missing jacket).
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/12/2013, 12:15 pm

^Imagine how different it would have been if Will had seen Santana with the jacket and asked if he could have it (if only for one night), and Santana had recognized that Will needed it as a catalyst just as much as she did, so she gave it to him, probably with some funny sneer about how creepy it was that Will does not have adult friends and that she wanted the jacket back cleaned because Lord knows what Will was going to do with it.
Then the jacket wouldn't have been stolen, Will wouldn't have come off as creepy and a horrible teacher (again), and Puck would not have left Lima all alone because everyone was thinking bad about him.

Even better: Kurt gave Puck the jacket a day after they had their fight at the dumpster because he figured out that Puck was Finn's brother too in a way, and then later Puck gave the jacket to Santana because he realized that Finn would remain a voice in his head anyway and he'd be his own man now (as discussed with Beiste in the locker room scene), with or without the jacket.
And after Santana had her cry in the auditorium she in turn gave the jacket to Will, maybe with the promise that Will would have it framed to put it up in the school (like Puck wanted), and when Will took the jacket out of his bag at home he finally broke down.

Now that would have been a story about people grieving in all kinds of different ways bonding over the loss of a friend, with the jacket as a symbol and catalyst.
Oh Glee, all that cringeworthy drama wasn't really necessary at all.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Final ratings: 9:00PM FOX Glee 2.9 / 7.39

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_muisxd9I241sfyqtwo3_1280
X
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 10/12/2013, 3:05 pm

I watched the episode when I got home last night.  During my breaks at work I read people's feelings about the episode before seeing it.  I see what people mean about Santana, it did seem like she was on more than I think was necessary, but she was the go-between in the stories.  There were those who unreservedly loved Finn to varying degrees, and those who basically treated him like crap.  Santana could interact with Kurt, with their roommate status, but also with Sue, which brought some welcome hefty acting to the show, which is sooo missed.  While I like Kevin and Harry,  I don't see them as having the dramatic chops to keep the tone of the show going, which they also seemed to recognize isn't Darren's forte either, since he got much less than he's had in about two years, I'm thinking.

I do think they could have traded Santana singing a song, and then screaming for people to keep away, which felt very much out of place.  I could see her hurting, and running away, but the screaming, a bit much, to me.  It would have been nice to see even the lesser actors get a silent interactive scene instead, but we don't ever get a perfect Glee episode, so why should this be any different?

Oddly, I never got into any of the songs.  I don't know why.  I was more prepared, they weren't really my kind of songs, I don't know.  Didn't feel them.  I did cry 4 times, though, but it wasn't my sadness, I was more responding to the sadness of the characters on the show.  Romy was so excellent, and while I hate this moment of sadness causing it, she really deserves an Emmy, I mean the emotions and the delivery was all there.  The Hudmel scene was perfect.  I think it was Kurt's talking about Finn having really long arms which broke Carol's control.  I love that she embraced the son she got in the marriage, instead of it being one of those, why couldn't it have been you moments.  Carol, while they rarely use this wonderful actress, has never made Kurt feel less, and I really wish they had spent the time developing the Hudmel household, than have BlamBrittana shenanigans taking up so much airtime.  

Jane Lynch was spot on, showing a little softness in Sue, but not making her a pile of goo either.  I did kind of enjoy her having to deal with someone in which she has no authority over, a unique feeling for Sue, and about time.  I liked her continued off-kiltered support and fondness of Porcelain, but not to the extent that she won't make a grieving brother pay for another tree.  I wonder what she did with the 20 dollars once Puck brought the tree back.

On the subject of Puck, and his accusers.  I get people being upset no one was supporting Puck, but he also created this situation himself.  He was a reformed bully, yes, but did he ever treat Kurt with great respect to his face?  Not that I recall.  He stood up for him once he was chased out of the Glee classroom, but he was the one who mocked his preferences and sent him to Dalton, the death knell of Kurt's sassy self.  Was Kurt invited to the Bro moments he created?  I don't think so.  People are putting their desire for a Purt connection, but it was not one that was ever terribly real.  

To Kurt, in this moment, recalling the past, he is going to remember Puck as a bully who tossed him into dumpsters.  Even at the end, he didn't believe Puck, but he said he could keep it tonight, but he wanted it back for Santana.  At least with Santana, he would know the coat is in the same place he was, and he could support a friend.  Kurt might be gay, but he is the most gallant of the Glee crew.  I love that he keeps his picture of Finn hidden when Rachel is about.  He doesn't want to forget his brother's life, but like a true gentleman, he puts the needs of a lady before his own.  

Creating this lie between who actually took the jacket gave Puck his quiet moment with Beiste, so she could have her own spotlight, so I think his exclusion gave him his own strength.  He had to be his own quarterback, and support himself.  Something Kurt has been expected to do since day 1.  Welcome to the adult world, Puck.

I am not feeling New Santana one iota, Kitty came on very abrasively last year, but I always felt there was a spark in this cute little actress.  Not getting it at all with Bree.  I dread the likelihood of her joining New Directions in some sort of faux punishment of Sue's.  

Contrastingly from last years fashionable black outfits of Rachel's, it was interesting she was dressed in such pale colors.  There is Kurt again, sharing his strength.  I do so love this character.  I think FOX is run by men too afraid of appearing unmasculine who undoubtedly drive huge cars to make up for their lack in the male-part area, for them not to realize what a positive male role model Kurt is, gay or not, effeminate or not.  He is strong but supportive, knows when to fight and when to let go, takes care of those he loves.  To this lady, that is what being a man is all about.  He doesn't have to have the spotlight, and is willing to share, but when he needs to take charge, he can do that too.  I just can't comprehend what the writers are about anymore.

Tina's self-obsessiveness didn't bother me.  She is apparently there to be the voice of unpleasant truths.  While it isn't as pretty as mourning quietly, it is true people get more protective of themselves when they are afraid.  I still remember as a new nurse, having a patient have their heart stop, a code blue being called, and the patient in the next bed asking for water when we are doing chest compressions and preparing to zap the individual.  I could'nt believe that they would think of such a thing when someone is literally dying in the same room.  People do crazy stuff when they have no control.  Tina is thinking about herself, but in truth, the sadness people experience isn't just about the person who has died, it is about how they are feeling about how it touches their own lives.  Their loss, their regrets, their inability to fix what has happened and make things better.  The fact they have to say goodbye before they are ready. Humans are kind of a "It's all about me" creature. I am no different. We just try to remember to include others in our "me"-ness and that we need to do that to make the world work.

It was a good episode, it showed some magical characters, which makes me more sad that not only what it took to get this kind of writing, but the return to the blandness of it all when McKinley once again takes the stage, and all the songs.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/12/2013, 5:34 pm

A few gifs:

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o1_250  5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o2_250  5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o3_250

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o7_250  5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o5_250  5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o6_250

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o9_250  5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o8_250  5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Tumblr_mukl7zzLR81r1v397o4_250
x
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 10/12/2013, 7:56 pm

Glorfindel wrote:....

Even better: Kurt gave Puck the jacket a day after they had their fight at the dumpster because he figured out that Puck was Finn's brother too in a way, and then later Puck gave the jacket to Santana because he realized that Finn would remain a voice in his head anyway and he'd be his own man now (as discussed with Beiste in the locker room scene), with or without the jacket.
And after Santana had her cry in the auditorium she in turn gave the jacket to Will, maybe with the promise that Will would have it framed to put it up in the school (like Puck wanted), and when Will took the jacket out of his bag at home he finally broke down.

Now that would have been a story about people grieving in all kinds of different ways bonding over the loss of a friend, with the jacket as a symbol and catalyst.
Oh Glee, all that cringeworthy drama wasn't really necessary at all.
That would have been a good way to deliver the  jacket's drama. At first I didn't understand what was the big deal with the jacket, but then I realized that it was an object that it represents Finn, so  hold that jacket it was like were near to him. Feel his presence.

Also I'd love to see Puck coming back, only because this ending wasn't enough for me and also because I wan't his image to be cleaned. Oh Puck, you're still one of the characters that has grown so much since season one.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Empty The quaterback

Post  Kurt addict 10/13/2013, 5:28 am

Hi, not seen this yet as it does not air in the uk until Friday, and I just don't seem to be able to get the hang of live stream! Which is very aggravating as I would really have liked to watch this when everyone was commentating on it,I have seen a few clips and the science that really got me was the Kurt,Burt and Carol scene it was so raw and real, and I loved the way carol hugged Kurt and they all hugged each other, Kurt wearing the jacket was also so moving, and I loved his fearsome persona with Puck, he was so strong and yet still Kurt if you get what mean?
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/13/2013, 6:29 am

Kurt addict wrote:Hi, not seen this yet as it does not air in the uk until Friday, and I just don't seem to be able to get the hang of live stream! Which is very aggravating as I would really have liked to watch this when everyone was commentating on it,I have seen a few clips and the science that really got me was the Kurt,Burt and Carol scene it was so raw and real, and I loved the way carol hugged Kurt and they all hugged each other, Kurt wearing the jacket was also so moving, and I loved his fearsome persona with Puck, he was so strong and yet still Kurt if you get what mean?
Actually we already have a thread for this in the Chris on Television. But that's okay. neutre

I haven't watched it either. I live in Australia.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt addict 10/13/2013, 9:28 am

Oops still finding my way round this site! Sorry:Embarassed : 
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

5x03 "The Quarterback" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 6 Empty The quarterback

Post  Kurt addict 10/13/2013, 9:31 am

Hi, not seen this yet as it does not air in the uk until Friday, and I just don't seem to be able to get the hang of live stream! Which is very aggravating as I would really have liked to watch this when everyone was commentating on it,I have seen a few clips and the scene that really got me was the Kurt,Burt and Carol scene it was so raw and real, and I loved the way carol hugged Kurt and they all hugged each other, Kurt wearing the jacket was also so moving, and I loved his fearsome persona with Puck, he was so strong and yet still Kurt if you get what mean?
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 10/13/2013, 9:37 am

Just 3 posts below this one is an entire discussion about "The Qaurterback" several pages long neutre 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 10/13/2013, 10:32 am

The last few posts may look a bit odd because I've moved and merged a few threads. I apologise for the confusion..

Anyway, thanks for joining us here, Kurt addict! I'm sure you'll get the hang of things in no time.

And yes, I'm of the same mind as you with regards to fierce!Kurt. I'm just relieved that the writers hadn't forgotten that Kurt had always stood his ground before bullies (and this is true right from the beginning of season one) and was never shy about giving them a piece of his mind when it comes to confronting them.

Not to say that Puck is still a bully in that scenario, but Kurt clearly didn't care for how obnoxious Puck was being with his demands that the jacket belongs to him and how Puck regarded himself as someone more deserving of the jacket than Kurt.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 10/13/2013, 10:43 am

Glorfindel wrote:^Imagine how different it would have been if Will had seen Santana with the jacket and asked if he could have it (if only for one night), and Santana had recognized that Will needed it as a catalyst just as much as she did, so she gave it to him, probably with some funny sneer about how creepy it was that Will does not have adult friends and that she wanted the jacket back cleaned because Lord knows what Will was going to do with it.
Then the jacket wouldn't have been stolen, Will wouldn't have come off as creepy and a horrible teacher (again), and Puck would not have left Lima all alone because everyone was thinking bad about him.

It could be due to time constraints, or the writers were aiming for the 'surprise' factor at the end when it's revealed that Will was the stealer of the jacket.

But yes, the scenarios you've proposed would've been much kinder on the characterisation of Will. Puck shouldn't have to become the scapegoat. But I wonder if they believed Puck's innocence in the end anyway, since Santana was putting up posters to trap the real culprit. She wouldn't do that if she's still convinced that Puck had it.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 10/13/2013, 11:53 am

Chris acting in the episode was pitch perfect, and it shows how a good actor works well with the people opposite him.

The big moments in the Hummel house were for Burt and Carole and Chris as Kurt didn't try to overwhelm with over the top dramatics that would have ruined the balance of the scene. He's not only a good actor but one who's aware of his role vis-a-vis his fellow actors.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/13/2013, 1:25 pm

I think that with this ep, it's hard to judge the quality of the acting as we usually do because of the extraordinary circumstances. It's almost expected that there will be at least some actor bleed, which is why I won't criticize Lea's performance and the fact that it felt to me that we were not really watching Rachel. I think that the show itself has been badly blurring the lines between Rachel and Lea so it's not entirely on her, but in this case I think that the circumstances are the cause. I don't blame Lea in the least for not being able to get into character as deeply as she normally does.

One of the reasons that the Hudson/Hummel scene rings so true is due primarily to the three actors involved playing the scene as their characters would respond to this enormous loss. The actors themselves were able to keep their personal feelings in check enough to let the emotion come from the characters more than themselves. Romy never lost her grip on the fact that she was playing a mother who just lost her child. I wasn't watching Romy in that scene - I was watching Carol and I got a full sense of just how this overwhelming loss has struck her. With Burt, Mike was able to give us his own sense of pain and the regrets about things that he had done that he wished in hindsight that he could have done differently. Besides the loss of Finn, I got a sense that Burt was also talking about his relationship with Kurt. No parent ever wants to consider that a child ever felt less than totally loved and that Burt is deeply regretting how rarely he shows real physical affection towards not only the stepson that he lost, but also the son that he still has.

And Chris had a total grip on his own personal emotions and we saw the scene with Kurt and not Chris at all. We saw all the trademark behaviors that Kurt has always shown when under extremely distressing situations. The way he compartmentalizes his emotions so that he's able to put his own pain on the back burner enough to be able to handle the practical things that need to be attended too. The small gestures, like the matter of fact way he brought out the boxes for sorting Finn's belongings so that Carol wouldn't have to. The calmness in his voice while he was clutching Finn's hairbrush and wrapping himself in Finn's jacket just rang so true.

I don't know how he managed it, but Chris really stayed in character through the whole episode. Everything from his cool reserve when having to deal with the grief of others (allowing him the ability to comfort others) to the pain swimming in his eyes when watching one of his friends performing to the spine he showed when Puck became confrontational about the jacket, there wasn't a second that Chris lost his grasp on the character.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/13/2013, 3:21 pm

^Completely agree. I don't think Chris ever broke character, except for maybe some of his crying and looks in the choir room being a bit more real than just 'method acting', but that still fit in how his character was feeling, and I never had the idea that I was watching Chris: it was Kurt all the way.
And tbh that's what I preferred this episode, as I didn't want to think about the actors' pain behind the characters they played: the episode was sad enough as it is.

Ranwing wrote:The actors themselves were able to keep their personal feelings in check enough to let the emotion come from the characters more than themselves.
This.
I recognize this from my own (public) singing, especially when I sing at funerals.
I don't have to be 'in character' then, like if I was singing e.g. in a musical, but as a way to protect myself from the heavy emotions around me at those moments (especially if I know the deceased personally) I create a public 'role' in my mind so I can put up an 'emotional protection shield' which I can use to do my job without starting to sob myself.
The emotions are still very, very real and coming from inside myself, but it's not me singing about my personal feelings, but the "funeral singer" singing about whatever the song itself means (for the deceased and the mourners).

That's what I saw in Chris's acting, and also in Mike and especially Romy. They were truly amazing in that scene. wub

As a performer you use your own emotions as the power source behind your performance, but it's not personal at that moment (although afterwards there's usually a delayed reaction which then is personal).
It's an emotional draining experience, so I get why they often were only able to shoot 1 take during filming 'The Quarterback'. I respect the cast so, so much for getting through this episode.

Not to diss him in this episode because I appreciate what he did, but the opposite was true for Mark imo. In his locker room scene with Dot he was either shutting his own feelings out so he could get through the dialogue without having to touch his own feelings below the surface, or he was so overwhelmed by emotions himself that he couldn't get enough into the character of Puck and the dialogue. (my guess is it was the latter)
To me it felt like I was watching a shape shifter, or Gollem's split personality: one moment it was Mark (when he was not talking) and the next moment it was like Puck was trying to claw himself free through Mark's skin (when he was practically shouting his lines), and back and forth again.

BTW: I read a few times (elsewhere) that Mark didn't cry this episode, whether due to his bad acting or because he supposedly didn't care that much, but it's possible to 'cry' without tears. Your face just contracts and maybe you start to moan/whimper, so there are outer signs of crying (like Mark did), but there are just no tears released. It happens.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 10/13/2013, 3:34 pm

I like Mark Sallling but dramatic acting is something he's very hit and miss with.  His scenes with Beitie in Season 3 were nice, but here the strain was showing in Mark trying to be Puck and yet having the pain over the loss of Cory (apparently) seep through.

Quite frankly, based upon his idiotic comments I put some of the blame on Brad, the director.   He should have been helping Mark find the character of Puck in his scenes, instead of wanting him to maintain his real life grief.

I thought Santana was like, Kurt , very consistent in her character.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/13/2013, 4:15 pm

If there was something that bothered me as far as characterization goes, it's that Blaine spent exactly one scene close to his fiancé. It's not that I'm interested in seeing so much overt Klaine, but given that Blaine is supposed to be so in love with Kurt, it struck me as odd that he wasn't ever in a position to offer any kind of comfort to Kurt.

Part of it I can write off with Blaine knowing that when Kurt is stressed like this that the last thing Kurt wants is his boyfriend hanging all over him, especially given that Kurt's first instinct would be to comfort Blaine and not focus on himself. I would expect that by now, Blaine would understand that in times like this, Kurt would want his personal space respected. That does not mean that Blaine should have been sitting on the other side of the choir room. At least sitting near by Kurt, or just behind him would have implied that he was focusing on wanting to help Kurt if he wanted it
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/13/2013, 4:17 pm

Buenos wrote:I thought Santana was like, Kurt , very consistent in her character.
Yes, Naya and Chris stayed in character very well.
Matt, Jane and Jayma also. Emma was all fluttered when there's finally a student in her office for grief counceling, and Sue had her usual snark but with vulnerability behind it.

I was wondering about Matt, who's storyline was that Will could not cry. How difficult must it have been for Matt to never tear up during the choir room scenes, not even when he was talking to Rachel/Lea.
BTW: I think Matt carried Lea through their scene, very gentle but firmly. I really appreciate him for that.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/13/2013, 4:45 pm

I can't blame Lea at all for not being able to really stay in character. This wasn't just a normal scene where she could put things out of her mind and just focus on her job. This was all about Cory and it's no real surprise that the wall of separation between where Lea ends and Rachel begins was almost non-existent. It's fortunate that they limited Rachel to basically two scenes - it took a lot of the stress off of Lea and let actors who were one step removed from losing Cory to do the heavy lifting.

I think that the actors who really managed to carry the emotional weight of the episode - Chris, Naya, Matt, Mike, Jane and Romy - deserve major props for managing such an impossible task. But I give a lot of leeway to those who couldn't quite manage it in this particular episode.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 10/13/2013, 4:53 pm

The episode wasn't perfect, but it was sweet, sad and loving. One of my favorites of the series, to be honest. This episode (actually, this season) has gone a long way in redeeming Santana quite a bit for me. She's still a sassy character, but I don't hate her like I used to. I'm relieved. It's exhausting hating someone/something. Those tiny glimpses we've gotten of a more human Santana since season two were out in full force this episode. So far, I actually like season five Santana quite a bit. Keep it up, Glee writers. I'm impressed. (Kitty, also).

5x1: Gets Rachel a job, participates in celebrating an engagement of a friend (yes, I know Klaine is toxic...but I mean it's the thought of her celebrating something for a friend), mentions that things are going well for not just herself but for her two friends/roommates and that that's worth being happy about. Most importantly, she doesn't constantly insult Rachel or Kurt anymore. It's as if she remembers they are her friends, not her enemies.

5x2: Shows the realistic nervousness and vulnerability/ adorable awkwardness of a new relationship. I look forward to seeing her dealing romantically with someone who can match her wit for wit for once, rather than manipulating someone and claiming to "love" them simply because they are just easy to control.

And 5x3. Oh my God. I adored her near hysterical freak out on Sue. Lashing out due to her own guilt (pot, meet kettle) I'm sure. Wonderful acting by Naya. Very intense. The panic attack during If I Die Young was unexpected and one of the most powerful moments in the episode...she is literally that afraid of her emotions and hides behind snark in the beginning of the song because of it. The Kurtana moment in the auditorium was so simple and sweet....the nice confessions, the jacket as a security blanket, the "He was a much better person than I am" and the "Could you go, please?" moments were so honest and simple. I will get to Chris, Lea and the others in another post tomorrow, but I just had to get this Naya/Santana appreciation out of the way first. I was very impressed. I sometimes (in the past) let my hatred for the character Santana and the annoyance with the actress Naya to block out anything good about them in my eyes. But now, there is no denying Naya's talent as an actress or beautiful singing voice (gorgeous acapella in the beginning of her song), nor is it possible for me to ignore Santana's human side as I was exposed to it now more than ever in this episode. If RIB keep this new, more mature Santana going, I may just have a third favorite character to join Rachel and Kurt in my special ranks.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 10/13/2013, 5:16 pm

I can't believe how good the chemistry is of Kurtana.  It's like there is no bullshit at all between the two characters. It's just so nice to see characters who click together without the effort showing.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 8 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next