Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6

+32
ladydianab
BlueJazz
bayth
sjonnepon
Dame Loli
emilynna
MissSoniaPP
brisallie
sheny
coxfire
opals
glimmerle
arina
valkeakuulas
CloveGlee
Ireth
Delight
tanita_mors
Glorfindel
Catt24
Divalicious
ColferGirl
sahhar
M&M
Ranwing
zuppid
fantastica
Buenos
ChrisColferFan1
ColferInspired
MoviesAreLife
Jellyrolls
36 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 35 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6

Post  Delight 3/25/2013, 12:29 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
Two consenting, loving adults who just so happen to have matching genitals are hardly harming anyone, especially their children, with their relationship and love for one another. No one is being hurt, here...so what is the problem? We are people and this is not a "lifestyle", this is a LIFE, period.

arina wrote:
If you kill someone it’s your (in most cases) choice, if you steal something, it’s your choice… but why should having homosexual orientantion be a sin it’s big mystery to me. Also if you kill someone, you hurt someone, if you steal, someone is damaged but who suffer from the fact that you were born homosexual and you decided to be with person you love and the person feel the same way about you and you both are happy? The only person who „suffer“ are the ones who read it’s a sin. And then the people who just have problem with anything that is different.

The Bible has good teachings in it, but unfortunately, all too often, there are people who would select certain verses in it to justify their bad behaviour. Such as the persecution and execution of women suspected of practising witchcraft in the old days (because of the 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' verse). In the same way, there are prejudiced people who would display hatred and violence towards gay people, and use literal interpretations of selected bible verses to justify their actions.

We have no problem accepting some Bible teachings like 'Thou shalt not kill'. You don't have to be a Christian to know that any action or behaviour that harms another person is considered wrong and unacceptable. I guess that's why there is this question of 'How can homosexuality be considered a sin when it's about love between two people of the same sex, and no one is harmed by this life/lifestyle?'

I may be stepping on a landmine here, so bear with me. Here is a thought: The homosexual lifestyle may not cause harm to other people, but can it cause harm to the person who leads that lifestyle?

Taking another example, Christianity also advises against sex before marriage. People can argue that, ''hey, it's my choice what I wish to do with my life and with my body. No one has any right to tell me what I can or cannot do. Besides, I'm not harming anyone else by doing this, as long as the sex is between two consenting adults.' Leaving aside issues that arise from unwanted pregnancies, abortions, STDs, single parenthood and children having to grow up with only one parent; I think that when one allows 'casual sex' to happen, there is some harm done. Some innocence or purity lost, maybe.

On another note, an interesting observation I've made is this: In Australia, gay marriage is still not permitted, but the government provides financial aid to single mothers. Given that most governments are secular nowadays and are so big on social justice, it is puzzling as to why the Australian government would refuse marriage equality but seems to accept and is almost supportive of, say, sex before marriage.

Glorfindel wrote:
It's the governments and religious leaders who make the difference whether a country is liberal when it comes to gay rights, imo.

Indeed. Though I sometimes wonder exactly how much say the religious community has on government decisions about gay rights.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 35 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6

Post  coxfire 3/25/2013, 1:15 pm

[quote="Delight"]
MoviesAreLife wrote:
Two consenting, loving adults who just so happen to have matching genitals are hardly harming anyone, especially their children, with their relationship and love for one another. No one is being hurt, here...so what is the problem? We are people and this is not a "lifestyle", this is a LIFE, period.

arina wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:
It's the governments and religious leaders who make the difference whether a country is liberal when it comes to gay rights, imo.
Indeed. Though I sometimes wonder exactly how much say the religious community has on government decisions about gay rights.

Unfortunately, church is a very, very important lobby. It's not just in terms of followers that religion is powerful, but also in terms of money, dirty money at that.
As Marie said, we in France have a government who tries to legalize it, but we are confronted to a very extensive opposition, mainly lead by Christians, however, France is quite a secular country in comparison to Spain, Italy, etc. The government tried to apply the law no matter what, but still couldn't and I'm not sure it's just because of the simple people in the streets, but also due to secret church negociations.

It might end up as a referendum, but I fear its results. Young people are more prone to say Yes, but I know my grandmothers will say no. A referendum wouldn't be the good solution for me, because I think that the more aged population will be against, and it is unfair to the young generation who is the one in need of this law. It's not 80-year old peopple who want to get married, it's 20 to 40 year-old (or old gay couples together since a long time).

I do hope people's mind would evolve and finally get that what defines you is not your gender, your color or your sexuality, it's your actions and your personnality traits.
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 3/25/2013, 2:50 pm

Delight wrote:We have no problem accepting some Bible teachings like 'Thou shalt not kill'. You don't have to be a Christian to know that any action or behaviour that harms another person is considered wrong and unacceptable. I guess that's why there is this question of 'How can homosexuality be considered a sin when it's about love between two people of the same sex, and no one is harmed by this life/lifestyle?'
I may be stepping on a landmine here, so bear with me. Here is a thought: The homosexual lifestyle may not cause harm to other people, but can it cause harm to the person who leads that lifestyle?
I don't know if I underestand it correctly because I am not sure how would lifestyle of gay people be much different (more harming) than the life of straight people?... they live the normal life like anyone else... except for the fact that my gay friends are attracted to the people of the same sex, there's no difference between my gay and straight friends.. Also some of them are more promiscuous, some of them not and that implies people with both sexual orientations, some of them risk more with protection, some of them not and that is true also about both groups etc.

Last edited by arina on 3/25/2013, 2:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/25/2013, 2:55 pm

Delight wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

arina wrote:
If you kill someone it’s your (in most cases) choice, if you steal something, it’s your choice… but why should having homosexual orientantion be a sin it’s big mystery to me. Also if you kill someone, you hurt someone, if you steal, someone is damaged but who suffer from the fact that you were born homosexual and you decided to be with person you love and the person feel the same way about you and you both are happy? The only person who „suffer“ are the ones who read it’s a sin. And then the people who just have problem with anything that is different.

The Bible has good teachings in it, but unfortunately, all too often, there are people who would select certain verses in it to justify their bad behaviour. Such as the persecution and execution of women suspected of practising witchcraft in the old days (because of the 'Thou shalt not suffer a witch to live' verse). In the same way, there are prejudiced people who would display hatred and violence towards gay people, and use literal interpretations of selected bible verses to justify their actions.

We have no problem accepting some Bible teachings like 'Thou shalt not kill'. You don't have to be a Christian to know that any action or behaviour that harms another person is considered wrong and unacceptable. I guess that's why there is this question of 'How can homosexuality be considered a sin when it's about love between two people of the same sex, and no one is harmed by this life/lifestyle?'

Taking another example, Christianity also advises against sex before marriage. People can argue that, ''hey, it's my choice what I wish to do with my life and with my body. No one has any right to tell me what I can or cannot do. Besides, I'm not harming anyone else by doing this, as long as the sex is between two consenting adults.' Leaving aside issues that arise from unwanted pregnancies, abortions, STDs, single parenthood and children having to grow up with only one parent; I think that when one allows 'casual sex' to happen, there is some harm done. Some innocence or purity lost, maybe.

On another note, an interesting observation I've made is this: In Australia, gay marriage is still not permitted, but the government provides financial aid to single mothers. Given that most governments are secular nowadays and are so big on social justice, it is puzzling as to why the Australian government would refuse marriage equality but seems to accept and is almost supportive of, say, sex before marriage.

Glorfindel wrote:

I agree about some people using religion in order to justify their own bad behavoir and impulses to discriminate. That being said, people do use religion for good purposes too...like to always be as kind as possible towards everyone, being compassionate, giving to charity. One does not need religion to do these good or bad things, of course.

True, those type of things happen with sex before marriage or casual sex, also in both straight and gay relationships. But it's up to the person to protect themselves against those pitfalls. Use the pill and use condoms all the time, IMO. Do everything you can to protect yourself against these things. But I don't think people should have to remain "pure" until marriage (I personally think marriage is a crock, but that's another story) just because of some of the bad things out there. To some people, innocent and purity is lost...but what does that even mean? For women, a peice of skin called the hymen is broken. For men...there is no physical marker at all. And virgins are not as innocent as we think, as they probably already know about everything, they just haven't experienced it for themselves yet. And masturbation is a form of sex, if you ask me...and that is something that almost everyone does. To me, there are more important things in life to worry about than whether someone's "innocence" is being shattered by one of the most normal functions of being a human being. The real travesty of humanity is how evil we all can be towards each other.

And if people want to engage in more "harmful" activities, I say let them. While I don't think casual sex, experimental drug use, homosexuality or anything like that is the worse thing you can you (I really think it's all just a part of life, as long as you are careful not to let it consume you) it does have dangerous elements if you get carried away. And if that happens...I don't know what to say to that. While I hate to see people self destruct, I have more compassion for those who do that rather than go out of their way to harm others.

Btw, I'm a lesbian, and my life (not lifestyle) has not done me harm in any way so far. I've had a very positive experience so far with being gay. neutre

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/25/2013, 7:02 pm

Progress is definitely being made in ths country. This article came out today (not theparts I bolded):

Washington (CNN) – One day before the Supreme Court hears a high profile case on same-sex marriage, a new national poll indicates that the percentage of Americans who say they have a family member or close friend who is gay or lesbian is on the rise. And that increase matches a jump in the percent of the public who support legal same-sex marriages.

According to a CNN/ORC International survey, 57% say they have a family member or close friend who is gay or lesbian, up 12 points from 2007.

"The number of Americans who support same-sex marriage has risen by almost the same amount in that time - from 40% in 2007 to 53% today - strongly suggesting that the rise in support for gay marriage is due in part to the rising number of Americans who have become aware that someone close to them is gay," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

"Some people have recently taken to calling it the 'Rob Portman effect,' after the Republican senator from Ohio who learned that his son is gay and changed his position on gay marriage as a result," adds Holland.

Portman made his announcement recently in an exclusive television interview with CNN Chief Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash.

The survey's Monday release comes a day before the Supreme Court hears a challenge to California's Proposition 8. On Wednesday, the justices will hear a challenge to the federal government's Defense of Marriage Act. Both measures define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

According to the poll, people who say they know someone who is gay or lesbian are more likely to be younger and more likely to have attended college, with women more likely to say that than men. And not surprisingly, support for gay marriage is highest among women, college educated Americans, and the young.

"Attitudes toward homosexuality are the result of many complex, interrelated factors. Past polling, for example, has also shown that support for gay marriage has risen during a time when a growing number of Americans believe that homosexuality is something a person is born with. But years of polling suggests that the growing number of Americans who know someone who is gay has contributed to an environment in which gay marriage now receives support from a majority of Americans," says Holland.

The new poll was conducted March 15-17 for CNN by ORC International, with 1,021 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

Source
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 3/25/2013, 7:46 pm

Quite frankly I don't think there is anything wrong with others having a different set of values or belief system than I have.

The trick is not to forcibly press your beliefs on others or try to legislate what you believe is right or wrong when something is clearly a personal choice that doesn't impact others. For example, I think smoking is morally wrong and will not allow that in my home, does that make me intolerant of others?

Limiting smoking in public places impacts the greater good, but I certainly don't think people can't smoke in their own home.

When it comes to sexual matters, I think straight or gay, that is a strictly private and confidential matter between two people. I find some intolerance on both sides of the spectrum TBH, and I've seen people who object to homosexuality on moral grounds mocked as intolerant or close minded when they haven't necessarily tried to impose their beliefs on others but were giving their opinion when asked.

There are double standards

If I'm Treated with respect and tact and I don't mind dissenting opinions to mine,quite frankly.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 3/25/2013, 7:46 pm

Quite frankly I don't think there is anything wrong with others having a different set of values or belief system than I have.

The trick is not to forcibly press your beliefs on others or try to legislate what you believe is right or wrong when something is clearly a personal choice that doesn't impact others. For example, I think smoking is morally wrong and will not allow that in my home, does that make me intolerant of others?

Limiting smoking in public places impacts the greater good, but I certainly don't think people can't smoke in their own home.

When it comes to sexual matters, I think straight or gay, that is a strictly private and confidential matter between two people. I find some intolerance on both sides of the spectrum TBH, and I've seen people who object to homosexuality on moral grounds mocked as intolerant or close minded when they haven't necessarily tried to impose their beliefs on others but were giving their opinion when asked.

There are double standards

If I'm Treated with respect and tact and I don't mind dissenting opinions to mine.

I despise and loathe racism.
Yet I admit I know people with racist views who on some occasions treat others with more compassion than so called liberals, so I take everything on a case by case basis.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/25/2013, 8:08 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:Progress is definitely being made in ths country. This article came out today (not theparts I bolded):

Washington (CNN) – One day before the Supreme Court hears a high profile case on same-sex marriage, a new national poll indicates that the percentage of Americans who say they have a family member or close friend who is gay or lesbian is on the rise. And that increase matches a jump in the percent of the public who support legal same-sex marriages.

According to a CNN/ORC International survey, 57% say they have a family member or close friend who is gay or lesbian, up 12 points from 2007.

"The number of Americans who support same-sex marriage has risen by almost the same amount in that time - from 40% in 2007 to 53% today - strongly suggesting that the rise in support for gay marriage is due in part to the rising number of Americans who have become aware that someone close to them is gay," says CNN Polling Director Keating Holland.

"Some people have recently taken to calling it the 'Rob Portman effect,' after the Republican senator from Ohio who learned that his son is gay and changed his position on gay marriage as a result," adds Holland.

Portman made his announcement recently in an exclusive television interview with CNN Chief Congressional Correspondent Dana Bash.

The survey's Monday release comes a day before the Supreme Court hears a challenge to California's Proposition 8. On Wednesday, the justices will hear a challenge to the federal government's Defense of Marriage Act. Both measures define marriage as a union between a man and a woman.

According to the poll, people who say they know someone who is gay or lesbian are more likely to be younger and more likely to have attended college, with women more likely to say that than men. And not surprisingly, support for gay marriage is highest among women, college educated Americans, and the young.

"Attitudes toward homosexuality are the result of many complex, interrelated factors. Past polling, for example, has also shown that support for gay marriage has risen during a time when a growing number of Americans believe that homosexuality is something a person is born with. But years of polling suggests that the growing number of Americans who know someone who is gay has contributed to an environment in which gay marriage now receives support from a majority of Americans," says Holland.

The new poll was conducted March 15-17 for CNN by ORC International, with 1,021 adult Americans questioned by telephone. The survey's overall sampling error is plus or minus three percentage points.

Source

I like this article. As more people are feeling more comfortable about coming out of the closet, the chances that you (the general you) know someone that is gay are skyrocketing. And this means that people who maybe previously thought it was weird are realizing that gay people are just people, not monsters. They are humanized into being a son, daughter, parent, best friend, sister, brother, or any other relative. It's no longer "Us vs. the gay creepers".

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/25/2013, 8:45 pm

when it comes to difference of beliefs, to some it's a matter of choosing something that they prefer. to others it's a matter of "right" vs. "wrong". when you adopt a belief system because you think it works best for you, but you do not dismiss other believes as "wrong" or "incorrect", then you will have no problem accepting others having different belief systems as you do. But if you think that your idealogy is the only right one and everybody else is completely in the wrong, you will have a hard time accept them. You will want to, even for their benefit, try to help them by "correcting" them. or you can simply hate them/shun them because they are going to "hell".

i am happy to see that many gays/lesbians are brave enough to come out to their family/friends. it's not that we have more gays now than before, but more people are willing to come out of hte closet. the coming out of gays and lesbians to their closed ones are extremely important, because many people simply think of them as someone less human. when you see that your beloved son, daughter, cousin, brother... even parent, admits that he/she is gay, it puts a human face to that classification. it makes you realize that gays are like everybody else - they are not monsters and they are not bad people per se. they are someone wired a bit differently in the sexual orientation department but otherwise nothing is different. Besides, I am sure that there are a lot of heart to heart talk among the family members and/or close friends where people can hear first hand how their gay family/friends feel about their orientation, and their fear of discrimination when coming out. I have no doubt that w/in a decade or so most states in the US will allow gay marriage.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 3/25/2013, 9:24 pm

Generalizations of any sort are idiotic. Like this color of people are lazy, this color of people are smart, this religion is right, this religion is wrong, this gender is stronger, this gender is weaker. They are for lazy minded people who feel superior to someone when they can put them in a box. I am not saying I am without prejudice. I was raised by very small minded parents, who categorize people even by their politics, and unfortunately some of it has gotten into my head. But that doesn't mean I don't face up to when I am being prejudiced, and feel ashamed of it. I also don't let it make decisions for me. It's just a little voice in the back of my head that I tell to shut up. Because I am human, and sometimes I want to diminish someone who pisses me off for whatever reason. Because it isn't their color, religion or politics that pissed me off, it is the person, singular, and no one else should be "punished" in my mind because they are the same as they are. That is why I appreciate Chris so much. He has totally silenced the part of that voice that felt that two guys getting together was a waste or two girls for that matter. Because of watching him playing Kurt I grew to appreciate what real strength can be, and that love is love. Now that is power. Now, I want Chris to have an extensive and long-lived career, but I think even if this were his last job, he would count it good, because he made an actual difference. How many people get to say that?

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/25/2013, 9:30 pm

It's slow progress, but it shows that the times are changing.

I live in one of the most liberal states in the country--one of the nine states in the U.S. where gay marriage is legal.

Even some of the larger Catholic churches in liberal states like Masschusetts and New York are being more welcoming to he LGBT community.

My family is actually a great example of how the different generations view homosexuality.

My parents were born in the early years of the Silent Generation. The were raised to believe that homosexuality wasn't something you talked about--it was taboo. They were led to believe that people who were gay had something wrong with them. I have a cousin who is a lesbian and my mother once asked me if I thought that a doctor could "fix" my cousin. They weren't hateful or harmful towards gays--they just didn't understand because people didn't talk about it or they were taught differently. (I will say later in he life, on of my mom's closest friends at work was a gay man).

My older siblings were born in the middle of the baby boomer generation. They all have friends who are gay, and they don't have any problems with people who are gay--they just don't want to see them showing PDA. They also don't believe in gay marriage.

I was born in the middle of Generation X. I support equal rights for all, and I wholeheartedly approve of gay marriage. I do my best not to define people by their sexuality. People are people.

My nieces and nephewsare part of Generation Y. They definitely have the people are people attitude. They don't define people by their sexuality. Their friends are just their friends. It's a non-issue fo them.

So, times are definitely changing. And I have to believe that in my lifetime, seeing a gay or lesbian couple walking down the street hand in hand will seem as normal as a straight couple.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/25/2013, 10:06 pm

my mom also think that there's something abnormal about homosexuality, like a birth defect. i don't bother to argue w/ her because at her age it's pretty much impossible to change her views on anything.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 3/25/2013, 10:45 pm

fantastica wrote:my mom also think that there's something abnormal about homosexuality, like a birth defect. i don't bother to argue w/ her because at her age it's pretty much impossible to change her views on anything.

I don't know how old is she, but I think there's a certain age in life you can't change what people believe. By one side is how they were raised through their life, and by other, I'm not sure how much they're willing to accept new beliefs.

Personally I'm someone who never was aware of gay people, because I only see the typical stereotypes on TV, but as I didn't have them in my life, I didn't care. Until a closest friend of mine came out, and though at first it took my by surprise, then I realized that is the same person I had known for years and in addition is my friend, so my question is are you going to lose a friend or any beloved person because of that? I think is more important the connection you have with that person.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 3/26/2013, 3:17 am

Fascinating conversation and will not add a lot because most is said already.

I convinced my grandmothers that it is okay to be homosexual and changed their view. I pointed out history and how a few decades ago racism was a strong topic and people actually discussed if black people are inferior human beings, and nowadays that entire notion is accepted as ridiculous. I predict similar conversations in the future about homosexuality and teenager of that age will wonder how it ever was a discussion in the first place.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 3/26/2013, 6:28 am

When it was revealed that Rock Hudson was gay (I don't know how many would remember him) my mum didn't care. She was sad that he was dieing but she loved him and named him one of his favourite actors. This was back in the eighties. Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 35 4247136565
Even when Elton John came out she still loved Candle In The Wind.
My mum never said this ones gay, or anything. I don't think it mattered to her, because all she saw was a person.
I don't know what my dad's opinions were because he was always at work or in his own little world.
My mum died in 2003 from a massive stroke. She was getting dementia so I also felt it was for the best as I didn't want to see her deteriorate and not remember me and she would not have wanted that either.
I have always been tolerant.
My mum never judged anyone on race or religion either. Like I said she saw the person. She never put labels on people probably why I don't either. Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 35 4247136565
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 3/26/2013, 11:28 am

Jellyrolls wrote:It's slow progress, but it shows that the times are changing.
(---)
My parents were born in the early years of the Silent Generation. The were raised to believe that homosexuality wasn't something you talked about--it was taboo. They were led to believe that people who were gay had something wrong with them. I have a cousin who is a lesbian and my mother once asked me if I thought that a doctor could "fix" my cousin. They weren't hateful or harmful towards gays--they just didn't understand because people didn't talk about it or they were taught differently. (I will say later in he life, on of my mom's closest friends at work was a gay man).

My older siblings were born in the middle of the baby boomer generation. They all have friends who are gay, and they don't have any problems with people who are gay--they just don't want to see them showing PDA. They also don't believe in gay marriage.

I was born in the middle of Generation X. I support equal rights for all, and I wholeheartedly approve of gay marriage. I do my best not to define people by their sexuality. People are people.

My nieces and nephewsare part of Generation Y. They definitely have the people are people attitude. They don't define people by their sexuality. Their friends are just their friends. It's a non-issue fo them.

So, times are definitely changing. And I have to believe that in my lifetime, seeing a gay or lesbian couple walking down the street hand in hand will seem as normal as a straight couple.
This is my experience too. Which each new generation there will be more tolerance, respect and equality. For some countries/states it will take 1 or 2 generations longer, but eventually this discrimination and prejudice will disappear.
A few decades from now and people will wonder why this ever was even an issue. And I'm so proud that Chris (and Kurt) is a catalyst/advocate in this change. neutre
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 3/26/2013, 11:57 am

I remember having a discussion with my grandmother, she's 80+ and suddenly out of nowhere she suddenly said: "I llike it that the world is more tolerant and that people can be gay if they want to." My father was present and was a little taken back by that ssudden statement. His question to her, to his mother was quite poignant: "Would you think it's OK to be gay if one of your own children was gay?" She took a quite long moment, you could see she was really thinking about it and after awhile she just said: "Yes, I'd be fine with that."

I think a lot of older people who at their youth might have been silenced about it or having to agree with other because pressure are now just willing to admit that the society is much tolerant and hence nicer for them to live in.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/26/2013, 12:21 pm

With the older generations, I think it isn't really about hate. It's about not understanding, and being told it's not something to discuss. With my mom, I think it was more a case of thinking it was an illness. That was what she was taught. She didn't hate, or even disapprove of gay people. She just kind of thought that they were sick (for lack of a better description)
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 3/26/2013, 12:38 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:With the older generations, I think it isn't really about hate. It's about not understanding, and being told it's not something to discuss. With my mom, I think it was more a case of thinking it was an illness. That was what she was taught. She didn't hate, or even disapprove of gay people. She just kind of thought that they were sick (for lack of a better description)

For my grandmas it's not about hate, more about abnormality too. They don't hate on gay people, it's just something shameful and unconceivable for them. My grandmas are the sweetest persons in the world, but they were also raised in strict environments with a very black and white vision of what is "good" and what is "bad". I'm a 29 single independant woman with a successful carriere, I love my job, my life, my friends, my volleyball team, and I'm generally a very happy and upbeat person, but since I'm single (and have no kids) they always call me "Poor Mel" like my life is awful.

My grandmas have met several of my sister's and my friends who are gay, and they knew about them being gay. They didn't throw them out of the house, on the contrary, they like them, but their commenbt is always "They seem so normal! What a pity they are gay". So you see, it's not hate, it's more beliefs and misconception, and also a narrowmindness due to the educational environnement they were in.

I hope future generations will be more openminded on the gay subject, and will grasp that who you love whouldn't matter to anyone but yourself.
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 3/26/2013, 2:03 pm

Spoiler:
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 3/26/2013, 2:39 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:I remember having a discussion with my grandmother, she's 80+ and suddenly out of nowhere she suddenly said: "I llike it that the world is more tolerant and that people can be gay if they want to." My father was present and was a little taken back by that ssudden statement. His question to her, to his mother was quite poignant: "Would you think it's OK to be gay if one of your own children was gay?" She took a quite long moment, you could see she was really thinking about it and after awhile she just said: "Yes, I'd be fine with that."

The question that your dad did was interesting. Because I´ve seen people who say they accept gay people, but only because they´re not their children. So when they face that situation, they take back an step and start to re-evaluate what´s their real position. I´ve seen that in my mom, who is very loving with my gay friends and she always treat them nice, but she have told me indirectly that If I were gay, she won´t be so acceptable.

@Coxfire
Spoiler:

Last edited by brisallie on 3/26/2013, 2:46 pm; edited 1 time in total
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/26/2013, 2:45 pm

^ it's like saying "i have no problem w/ blind people i just don't want my children to be blind". they still think it's some sort of deficiency or handicap. they want their children to be "normal" and not be a social outcast.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 3/26/2013, 2:55 pm

Exactly. They're willing to accept anyone who´s "different", while none of their children is put in that category.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 3/26/2013, 6:58 pm

Ryan tweeted this today:

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 6 - Page 35 Tumblr_mkafbaNF8L1rqbpd5o1_500

This has me so angry on so many levels.

First, he obvious. He is pandering to the Klainers again.

Second, I find it offensive that someone would trivialize the importance of this issue by using it to promote her fangirling over fictional characters.

This has me so pissed right now, that I'm going to stop right here.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/26/2013, 7:03 pm

i guess this is outside the supreme court hearing of the gay marriage case today (is it today?). it's going to be a landmark case one way or the other and a lot are at stake. consider that we have a pretty conservative court anything can go. i won't make a big deal out of the klaine reference. i do hope the supreme court will decide correctly in this case. whatever banners individuals want to carry are a much less concern for me.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next