Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9

+37
coxfire
Adamina
bayth
Buenos
Vir Cotto
msjoanlucette
fountain
Ces
ecka
Sani
MoviesAreLife
dap1217
valkeakuulas
crazypumpkin
indiaskye
Piciollina
arina
opals
Catt24
CloveGlee
Delight
tanita_mors
fantastica
Ranwing
Glorfindel
ColferInspired
Ireth
ChrisColferFan1
sahhar
M&M
brisallie
Divalicious
zuppid
Jellyrolls
ColferGirl
MissSoniaPP
sheny
41 posters

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9

Post  ChrisColferFan1 2/4/2013, 2:10 am

ColferInspired wrote:It's already got over 10,000 plays. Wow....Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 4249845411
That is alot. Hopefully, it will get a lot more plays
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 2:15 am

FanofChrisC&MaxA1 wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:It's already got over 10,000 plays. Wow....Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 4249845411
That is alot. Hopefully, it will get a lot more plays

I would hope this many people buys this on Itunes and more, though I think there are a lot in the fandom that don't want to see Chris outdoing there favourites songwise. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 357632081

This will start a fight on the fandom who's is better Chris or Lea, at the moment more are saying on tumblr that Chris's is better than Lea's.

I know that sentiment won't be on the Gleeforum. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 3181402168

It won't be long before they start trashing his version, like they always do. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 3181402168

Actually I don't know what they would be talking about because I can't see Lea's version.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 2/4/2013, 2:21 am

MoviesAreLife wrote:I did want him to sing it in the male key originally, just because his "male voice" is such a rare treat. But this was beautiful, sweet and angelic. There was no strain whatsoever (and I was a bit worried that there would be if he had to sing it in the female key). But he pulled it off without a flaw. His voice keeps getting stronger. wub

Jesus. His voice! Male key, female key: he makes it all sound good! How many singers can say that? Is he an alien? That would explain his out of this world vocal range.....no wait, he's an angel. I already said that earlier!

Wow. I'm such a fangirl! XD
I wanted him to sing it in male key too from many reasons - because I love Chris's lower register and we get to hear it so rarely (and in duets with Blaine we know about he also will be using probably higher register), because I was worried he could sound little strained like in I Have Nothing, because the higher register doesn't allow him to use the most powerful part of his voice and I was afraid of people criticizing him for using his thin voice on such legendary song, because the song is originaly in male key.... but I was worried unnecessarily, I don't know what majority of people think because sometimes I feel they criticize him for everything even for things I think he sounds wonderful, but I personally am very very impressed. He sounds really like an angel and even the highest notes sound so "easy" (probably bad chosen word) for him.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 2:33 am

Just listened to Lea's version and I have to say Chris's version sounds better.

Everyone is raving about Chris's version, but not Lea's, which is a first. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 4249845411

Her version was hard to find when Chris's is all over my dashboard and the Chris Colfer tag.

Chris really needs to be on Broadway.

Here is a download for Bring him Home Kurt/Chris's version.

http://www.sharebeast.com/ruyl3ww0l5ag

Last edited by ColferInspired on 2/4/2013, 2:40 am; edited 1 time in total
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  msjoanlucette 2/4/2013, 2:38 am

I'm seriously in love with Chris's version. I was worried because I really loved Les Mis but I'm really happy how it turned out. I just love it. I personally liked his better than Lea's. Though Lea did do a good job.

I'm really happy because I have a new song of his to listen to over and over again. Smile I wish Kurt/chris could get more solos. -.-
msjoanlucette
msjoanlucette
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 2:47 am

msjoanlucette wrote:I'm seriously in love with Chris's version. I was worried because I really loved Les Mis but I'm really happy how it turned out. I just love it. I personally liked his better than Lea's. Though Lea did do a good job.

I'm really happy because I have a new song of his to listen to over and over again. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 650269930 I wish Kurt/chris could get more solos. -.-

Like all of us do.

Lea does sound good, but to me it sounded like she was trying to sing like Barbara, like Rachel didn't get the true meaning of the song like Kurt obviously has.

This scene will be interesting to watch.

And is nice to see the ones that have seen the movie Les Miserables love Chris's version just as much as it was sung in the movie. And these aren't even Chris fans or Glee fans.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 2:50 am

And this is what was trending after Chris's one popped up.

Some Rachel stan wants everyone to believe it was Lea's but like I said it was hard to find, and Chris's is all I can see of Bring Him Home.

So I would say it was Chris's version that started the trend.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 Tumblr_mhoif3N8N01qfy8yyo1_400

‘Bring Him Home’ trending worldwide

Source: radbagel
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 2/4/2013, 2:50 am

I'm listening to Chris version and is beautiful and powerful at the same time. Love it Smile. Still I want to listen to Lea's version.

Edit: Listening to Lea's version and though is also powerful and nice, somehow it doesn't transmit anything to me. Or probably I'm so glad for Chris's solo that for me he's better.

Last edited by brisallie on 2/4/2013, 2:55 am; edited 1 time in total
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 2/4/2013, 2:52 am

arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  opals 2/4/2013, 2:59 am

Holy crap. That was incredible! I haven't heard Lea's version yet, but I can already imagine how she sings it. I'm sure Lea's is great, too. I'm pretty sure that in this particular storyline Kurt's version is supposed to sound better, but Wow! Chris knocked this one right out of the park.

Angelic is 100% the right word to describe it. wub

ETA: LOL. Just listened to Lea's version, and it was just as I imagined it. You can tell she's got a great set of pipes, but she tends to over sing and that causes her songs to lose something for me.
opals
opals
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 3:12 am

http://sdrgleek.tumblr.com/

This is the duet, but to me all I can hear is mostly Chris. Lea is hard to hear.

Is this trying to tell us something, that maybe Kurt does out sing her? Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 2176491633

I am worried because Brad wrote this, but Kurt's version sounds much better than Rachel's, even the fandom is saying so for a change.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 2/4/2013, 3:25 am

ColferInspired wrote:And this is what was trending after Chris's one popped up.

Some Rachel stan wants everyone to believe it was Lea's but like I said it was hard to find, and Chris's is all I can see of Bring Him Home.

So I would say it was Chris's version that started the trend.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 Tumblr_mhoif3N8N01qfy8yyo1_400

‘Bring Him Home’ trending worldwide

Source: radbagel

Chris' version has over 4000 notes on Tumblr, Lea's around 800. It's really hard to believe that the trend was about hers.

Last edited by sheny on 2/4/2013, 4:15 am; edited 1 time in total

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl 2/4/2013, 3:26 am

crycry crycry crycry crycry

He sounds so beautiful and sweet on this song! I agree with everyone using the word angelic, he truly sounds like an angel. And since the song is a prayer, his gorgeous voice gives it this almost ethereal, soft quality. I love it. crycry

Also, I love Santana's "Girl on Fire" and Tina's "Hung Up" songs too. I'm going to buy all three. wub
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 3:32 am

ColferGirl wrote: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 1062082318 Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 1062082318 Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 1062082318 Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 1062082318

He sounds so beautiful and sweet on this song! I agree with everyone using the word angelic, he truly sounds like an angel. And since the song is a prayer, his gorgeous voice gives it this almost ethereal, soft quality. I love it. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 1062082318

Also, I love Santana's "Girl on Fire" and Tina's "Hung Up" songs too. I'm going to buy all three. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 413578547

I can't buy any of these songs until this episode airs here in Australia.

But Bring Him Home Chris's version will be something I will be definitely buying.

I just want to hear Marie's comments. Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 4247136565
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 3:35 am

I just got this from the Glee Forum.

This person was an extra during the filming of the diva off.

I can’t wait for everyone to see this scene! I had tears in my eyes the first take when Chris sang. He’s phenomenal.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 2/4/2013, 3:55 am

This is from a Lea stan.

dostthouloveme

I am legitimately nervous about a performance that's not mine
I love Hummelberry, and I’ve heard both versions of Bring Him Home. While everyone knows I’m a Lea stan, I can honestly say Chris’ was better.

But that’s not Lea’s fault. Chris’ falsetto is unmatchable

Anyway, I hate that this is going to cause tension between Rachel fans and Kurt fans.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 2/4/2013, 4:31 am

Sigh. I think i just heard an angel sing. wub wub ded

Seriously, what have I done to deserve such heavenly voice ? crycry

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  azure 2/4/2013, 4:42 am

I love Chris' version wub His voice is so beautiful, and he made me cry.

Lea sounds great too, I love hearing her sing Broadway songs.

I was very nervous about this song too, and I'll never forget hearing Colm Wilkinson sing this in the Les Miz 10th anniversary concert, it gave me chills. Glee has done it quite differently.

I love Chris's voice so much, it is so good to have another solo from him. wub

azure
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/4/2013, 5:06 am

I'm here!!!!!! baibai

He sounds beautiful, indeed like an angel! wub
I love his voice on this, but wished for a lower register. And I really don't like the instrumental arrangement.

The key change was +3, higher than the original, as I feared.
He pulls it off effortlessly, the high notes are strainless. His high, angelic voice works for the 'prayer' style of the song, but, and this is where my musical education comes into play (as I majored on musical theatre), I miss the rawer and deeper sound of an aged man in this (same for Lea's version), and I have to get used to that (the sugary sweet orchestration doesn't help either): seperate the song from the musical and character, so to speak. But as a stand-alone song it’s just amazing.

(Okay, warning, from now on this is the voice coach speaking, not the fangirl: the fangirl is sobbing in a corner, lol Smile)

The song feels tailored to Lea, not Chris. If you listen only to Lea’s version it is perfect for her: the key and the arrangement.

The key is set in the strongest part of Lea’s voice: the middle part. This however has the effect that for Chris it is set in the higher part of his vocal range, in which he cannot give ‘deeper’ power. He has to resort to ‘singing like a girl’ (no offense). Fortunately it works for ‘Bring Him Home’ because it is a prayer, but still….. Jean Valjean is a very powerful man with deep emotions who only becomes ‘weak’ when he ‘talks’ to God, and I wanted those emotions to shine through too. A lower key would have accomplished that.

The dramatic instrumentations are also completely in Lea’s style: the instrumental crescendos build into the song are at the exact places where they (the music producers) know Lea would do more dramatic emphasizing in her singing.
Chris OTOH never really does that. He is not a singer who emphasizes a lot by loudness, by crescendo (a dramitc ‘surge’ in one line). He usually keeps it small and inward, more subtle. Which works just as well, imo, but it’s a different style from Lea’s.

In the ideal situation they should have used not only a different key, but also a different arrangement for Chris, more like ‘Being Alive’. I still think the song is absolutely breathtakingly beautiful, and one of his best, but to me it’s like the arrangement, the ‘clothes’ were not made for him, and Chris has to do his best to move around smoothly with these non-fitting clothes. He manages really well, but this keeps bugging me in the back of my head when listening to the song.

On top of the feeling that this arrangement was not made for Chris’ voice, I also think that the arrangement is not true to the musical and song’s intent. It has been Barbra-sized, just like Glee’s ‘Somewhere’, for example.

So: wonderful vocals by Chris, not so good arrangement, but it could have been worse, considering they needed to sing in the same key.
(And tbh: despite this song being Lea tailormade, I think Chris outdid her.) hapitgh

ColferInspired wrote:Lea does sound good, but to me it sounded like she was trying to sing like Barbara, like Rachel didn't get the true meaning of the song like Kurt obviously has.
This, the song has been Barba-sized and Lea-fied. It's a Lea song, and because of that it is just one of her one in a dozen songs.

And is nice to see the ones that have seen the movie Les Miserables love Chris's version just as much as it was sung in the movie. And these aren't even Chris fans or Glee fans.
Can you tell me where you read this? What places (sites, tumblr tags) do I need to go to see a more general reaction to the song?
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 2/4/2013, 7:16 am

OK, I'm awake, showered, caffinated and now had a chance to listen to both versions of BHH.

Am going to try to put my Kurt stan in the back seat for a few minutes to give Lea/Rachel her due. Her version is very, very pretty. But even so, the Chris Colfer version is vastly superior to me, both technically and emotionally. Lea's version shows her tendancy to oversing and (as others have already put it) Barbra-ize pretty much everything she sings. Chris's version captures the prayer element of the song without trying to beat the song into submission.

Emotionally is where Chris shows his true strength as a performer, and this is where my preference for his performances really comes into play. He captures the emotional meaning of the song, the sense of longing and hope and even sacrifice. Keeping in mind what is happening to Jean Valjean during this scene, where he is contemplating sacrificing his own life to save Marius, I can see this element running true in Chris's version that I don't see in Lea's. Lea's version is more about showing off her vocal stengths and I found it somewhat emotionally inert.

As Marie feared, the key change was done specifically to suit Lea's voice, but for me this highlights the strength of Chris's unique voice in that he can match her. He could have easily sung the song in the original key without any difficuty. Putting in in this key should have given Lea a huge advantage, but because Chris is easily sing in this key, the advantange is lost. And I think this will play out naratively in the show.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/4/2013, 7:20 am

I've just checked GF and they seem to be loving both versions equally (with some pointing out specifically how much they love Chris' version), and that is saying something. neutre
I'm glad that the reception is so well, as it means we probably won't get a lot of complaints if Kurt wins the diva-off.

The rest of the songs (there are other songs, you know fanny2 Smile):

Diva:
Good vocals for the most part, but not one of my favorite songs. Alex is amazing, Heather not so much.

Nutbush City Limits – Santana:
Great version, Naya outdid herself. I love this.

Don’t Stop Me Now – Blaine:
Okay, this turned out a lot better than I expected, call me surprised, lol. Darren sounds okay on this song, a bit weak in the falsetto and I think the key is too high for him, but overall it’s a nice song.

Make No Mistake, He’s Mine – Sam+Santana:
I don’t think their voices fit very well together. It’s a nice version, but personally I’m not that smitten with it. I think Chord's voice is very weak in comparison with Naya's.

Hung Up – Tina:
Good, very good. For a moment I thought it was the Madonna version I was accidentally listening to.

Girl On Fire – Santana:
Not as good as her ‘Nutbush’ imo, but still very nice, and very well sung. Naya is showing this week that she can be versatile.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/4/2013, 7:37 am

Ranwing wrote:As Marie feared, the key change was done specifically to suit Lea's voice, but for me this highlights the strength of Chris's unique voice in that he can match her. He could have easily sung the song in the original key without any difficuty. Putting in in this key should have given Lea a huge advantage, but because Chris is easily sing in this key, the advantange is lost. And I think this will play out naratively in the show.
As much as I want this, I don't think this will happen. Ryan loves Lea as his own personal Barbra clone, he will see nothing wrong with the arrangement and her rendition, and therefore it won't play a part in the canon.

Chris's 'Bring Him Home' reminds me a lot of his 'Music of the Night': absolutely wonderful on its own, but I wished we had a true 'male' version of the song.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/4/2013, 8:19 am

Someone over on p_f pointed this out:

lettersfromtitan

Okay, I’ve listened to the Kurt and Rachel versions of the song now. (This is complicated — because am I evaluating Colfer and Michele’s performance of these songs as themselves or as these characters? How much would such performances vary? So that’s kind of a thing here too, but I’m going to pretend I can avoid it below).

The opening notes on Kurt’s are infinitely more exquisite, but the real place that the Kurt one wins it for me, other than the unbelievable tone and control, is the “if god had granted me a son” part.

Kurt acts that line with actual and startling emotional regret which makes it weighty and complex for all sorts of in- and out-of- narrative reasons. And Rachel sounds like she’s singing a line in a song because of course she’s a woman who might have to have a line like that. Her version isn’t unemotional overall, but it’s a song that’s about getting to the big notes.

Where as the Kurt version is like “what is that story?” with pretty much every line in the song, because each line comes as a reveal to a tragedy and a longing we’re not privy to. It is not a song he has learned but an act of thinking through music. We discover as he discovers. We question, because the song from him isn’t description, but action.

Does he believe in god? Would he trade his own life? What could his life have been had it been different? What is it like to realize these things? How can sadness make him feel so brave? The Rachel version doesn’t make me ask those questions. It makes me admire her instrument and go “oh yeah, track from Les Mis.”
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 2/4/2013, 9:40 am

ColferInspired wrote:http://sdrgleek.tumblr.com/

This is the duet, but to me all I can hear is mostly Chris. Lea is hard to hear.

Is this trying to tell us something, that maybe Kurt does out sing her? Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 32 2176491633

I am worried because Brad wrote this, but Kurt's version sounds much better than Rachel's, even the fandom is saying so for a change.

Do we know if this is an "official version." Or did someone just layer the vocals over each other? It sounds odd because the phrasing in some parts is so different. I picture it being more like the previous diva offs--back and forth between the two.

Kurt's version is out selling Rachel's version by a couple hundred chart places right now. It will be interesting to see if that continues, and how strong each version does in the overall charts once the episode airs.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 2/4/2013, 9:56 am

^The 'duet version' is made by someone on tumblr: it is not official.
TBH: I don't like the double version, because Lea's breathing and emphasizing is contradicting with Chris's calmness and subtlety too much, put together like this.

And yay for Chris outselling Lea's version at the moment. I've read comments on several sites (GF, ONTD_Glee, youtube) and people love Chris' version a lot because of the emotions in it. neutre

313. Girl On Fire
414. Don't Stop Me Now
473. Make No Mistake (She's Mine)
485. Diva
489. Bring Him Home (Kurt) hapitgh
535. Nutbush City Limits
752. Bring Him Home (Rachel)
772. Hung Up
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 32 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 31, 32, 33 ... 36 ... 40  Next