Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread

+27
ColferGirl
sjonnepon
Delight
MissSoniaPP
brisallie
coxfire
Divalicious
FunnyLady
Ireth
valkeakuulas
Glorfindel
emilynna
arina
BlueJazz
msjoanlucette
Dame Loli
sahhar
CloveGlee
sheny
M&M
Ranwing
fantastica
tamara04
ChrisColferFan1
ColferInspired
Jellyrolls
tanita_mors
31 posters

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap9%4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap68%4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 68% 
[ 15 ]
4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap9%4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 9% 
[ 2 ]
4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap0%4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap0%4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_lcap14%4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 I_vote_rcap 14% 
[ 3 ]

Total Votes : 22

4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 Empty Re: 4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Glorfindel 10/9/2012, 6:31 am

As a live singer myself I'm a bit torn about Darren's acoustic performance of TD.
I know as no other how difficult it is to let yourself get caught up in an emotion during a song, and how vulnerable that makes you feel: you expose yourself while you hope that people like what you're doing, and that you're not just making a fool of yourself with the faces you know you are pulling and it all maybe being too much? Those are very conficting feelings, and it takes courage to go all the way.
In that regard I can really respect Darren here: he went for it all the way, and I believe I've never seen him get into the emotions of Blaine so well before on Glee. He is not a good actor, but when he was singing TD live I believed him.

That doesn't mean that I don't think TD was overdone. This could have been pure magic if it wouldn't have gone on too long. They should have cut a verse or part of a chorus, and then it would have been perfect. Now Darren had to keep multiplying his feelings, he had to keep giving it more and more to build up to this climax, and it was just too much, imo.
Sometimes less is more.

But again: as a live performer I think Darren went all the way here, showing pure, real emotions (like Chris can do so easily in acting and singing) and that combined with playing the piano live and having a camera right up in his face, I can only admire.

Maybe that's why the rest of Blaine's actions in this episode felt so flat: Darren's acting in the other scenes before and after TD were not heartfelt, and basically not well acted. But in TD Darren did what he can do best: emote while singing, whether that is OTT for someone's personal taste or not. The song just went on too long and there were too many close-ups of his face, but that is a director's decision, not Darren's.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 Empty Re: 4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Jellyrolls 10/9/2012, 7:06 am

tanita_mors wrote:darren criss's "masterful" acting while doing teenage dream

Spoiler:

Sorry Ivana. I couldn't stomach it. I had to put it in spoiler tags.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 10/9/2012, 7:09 am

Glorfindel wrote:^Quinn and Puck were the only 2 characters who cheated by having sex, besides Blaine now.

I wanted Finn to get angry at Blaine too, but at the moment I'm just glad that Finn mentioned it to Blaine at all.
I fully expect everyone to act perfectly normal around Blaine in the next few episodes, without any accusations, but only sympathy for Blaine's situation, the poor guy. vomit2

Since most of the high school kids have no connection to Kurt, that won't be surprising. The only one who could be potentially upset would be Tina, but considering how much screentime she gets, we know that won't happen.

I think it will piss me off to no ends if they show Mercedes or Rachel interacting with Kurt like nothing happened. Those are really Kurt's best friends, and they should be supporting him.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 10/9/2012, 7:33 am

Jellyrolls wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:^Quinn and Puck were the only 2 characters who cheated by having sex, besides Blaine now.

I wanted Finn to get angry at Blaine too, but at the moment I'm just glad that Finn mentioned it to Blaine at all.
I fully expect everyone to act perfectly normal around Blaine in the next few episodes, without any accusations, but only sympathy for Blaine's situation, the poor guy. vomit2

Since most of the high school kids have no connection to Kurt, that won't be surprising. The only one who could be potentially upset would be Tina, but considering how much screentime she gets, we know that won't happen.

I think it will piss me off to no ends if they show Mercedes or Rachel interacting with Kurt like nothing happened. Those are really Kurt's best friends, and they should be supporting him.

Unique was a big fan of Kurt last season and Brittany kept calling him her unicorn and hugging him. But these thins are probably long forgotten. Like Sam's dyslexia from season 2 episode 1, because according to Ryan Murphy:
Spoiler:
I think they don't watch their own show or have serious memory problems.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 10/9/2012, 8:36 am

CloveGlee wrote:
The problem is Darren's acting. I am prepared to believe that Blaine was broken by his own behavior, but Darren was only able to sell it while he was singing. He's just not as good an actor as Chris is, as there's nothing to be done about that. He's fair to middling. The show has worse, but he's got to go toe to toe with the master all the time and he can't do it.

On one hand, you can almost sympathize with DC because he has to act opposite Chris most of the time and have their acting capabilities put side by side and compared mercilessly (a situation which is kinda similar to Chris being forced to have his singing compared to Lea's, because of the Kurt/Rachel direct competition on the show). When it comes to on-screen chemistry, I feel that Kurt has more of that with Finn, Rachel, Sue, Burt, Karofsky and Sebastian than with Blaine.

On the other hand, DC gets to act opposite Chris, so he's getting no sympathy from me. A lot of jealousy, yes, but not sympathy tonguue

Buenos wrote:Teenage dream seemed like a nervous breakdown but the apology was shifting blame to Kurt. TBH, it's not the cheating but the anger towards Kurt by Blaine that bothered me most.

I think Blaine's behaviour in that scene would be a lot less questionable (and anger-inducing) if DC is able to play the emotions right. Blaine shouldn't be displaying anger in that scene (regret, guilt and anxiety, yes, but not anger; and definitely not towards Kurt), but that's how it came across to me.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 10/9/2012, 10:11 am

Delight wrote:
Buenos wrote:Teenage dream seemed like a nervous breakdown but the apology was shifting blame to Kurt. TBH, it's not the cheating but the anger towards Kurt by Blaine that bothered me most.

I think Blaine's behaviour in that scene would be a lot less questionable (and anger-inducing) if DC is able to play the emotions right. Blaine shouldn't be displaying anger in that scene (regret, guilt and anxiety, yes, but not anger; and definitely not towards Kurt), but that's how it came across to me.

Especially Kurt's slight flinch when Blaine pretty much raises his voice in "it doesn't matter who it was" line. That was one single line that hurt me as a viewer more than the idea of cheating itself.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/9/2012, 11:05 am

^Yes, I noticed that flinch too. Blaine made it a lot worse by yelling at Kurt in that scene. :angry:
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 10/9/2012, 1:03 pm

Well, I get the anger, actually, that is part of the mourning process. He's denied that the distance will affect him, by pushing Kurt away. Now he is angry because Kurt is not in his life when he needs him to be. Blaine should rightly hate himself right now because of his act of betrayal. He kept it bottled up until the song (which was overlong, but whatever Glee) and now it comes spilling out, all the emotions. Plus it gave Chris an interesting note to act off of. I think Blaine's yelling was more a reaction to the fact that he had sex with someone who didn't matter to him, and he is upset with himself as well about that reason. Blaine last season was all about what consists of cheating, and not "selling" himself and he has gone and done all of that.

I am actually expecting to see a scene in the episode where Kurt comes to Lima where he tells Blaine he still loves him, but can't trust him anymore, and while he can't say goodbye, he is breaking up with him. If they are both single after Blaine's graduation we'll see sort of thing.
Spoiler:

I do troll other places, and am enjoying the absolute sense entitlement the Blainer's enjoy elsewhere. They are already emotionally sweeping this under the rug, and hoping for that big make-out session they seem to think this will lead to, not realizing that in these cheating storylines the cheater becomes basically celibate for a long, long time. Look at Quinn, after she cheated, the only person she was allowed to make out with was Finn, the guy she cheated on. The only one in this situation who will realistically get to make out with anyone else will be Kurt. To make them "even" in the eyes of the audience. Even if in his case he won't be cheating because they are broken up. But it will be shown to hurt Blaine, and thus garner him sympathy, and wishes that the couple reunite. And we know they will reunite. But I do think they will have Kurt experience kissing someone else he can find attractive, if only to explore what he feels about Blaine.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 10/9/2012, 1:19 pm

You know, I can understand Blaine being lonely, and feeling like Kurt doesn't have time for him. But any sympathy I had for Kurt went away when Blaine cheated on Kurt. He crossed the line there, and that was his decision. He put himself in that position. If the relationship was that important to Blaine, he should have talked to Kurt when he was visiting in NY. They should have talked about it, and decided if they could make it work, or if they should just end the relationship. Blaine was weak.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/9/2012, 3:14 pm

Divalicious wrote:Well, I get the anger, actually, that is part of the mourning process. He's denied that the distance will affect him, by pushing Kurt away. Now he is angry because Kurt is not in his life when he needs him to be. Blaine should rightly hate himself right now because of his act of betrayal. He kept it bottled up until the song (which was overlong, but whatever Glee) and now it comes spilling out, all the emotions. Plus it gave Chris an interesting note to act off of. I think Blaine's yelling was more a reaction to the fact that he had sex with someone who didn't matter to him, and he is upset with himself as well about that reason. Blaine last season was all about what consists of cheating, and not "selling" himself and he has gone and done all of that.
I can understand that Blaine was angry with himself in that confession scene. But still, he made it all about himself again. He should have thought of Kurt first at that moment, put Kurt's shock and emotions first, if he cares so much for him. He can be angry at himself all he wants, and that would actually be a good thing, but he should have kept it in when confessing to Kurt, because Kurt was the one that should have been taken into account at that moment, and not him.
Blaine owed Kurt that much, but he wasn't thinking primarily of Kurt when he confessed, I think. He wanted absolution from Kurt, he wanted to be forgiven so his own pain would go away. If he really had thought about Kurt's feelings, he'd better could have broken up with him for long distance reasons, and not confess the cheating to him. The confession brought Kurt nothing but pain.
But Blaine didn't want to break up with Kurt, because he didn't want to give up what he destroyed himself. So in order for him to feel better and still have a chance of keeping what he wanted, he let Kurt suffer.

Jellyrolls wrote:You know, I can understand Blaine being lonely, and feeling like Kurt doesn't have time for him. But any sympathy I had for Kurt went away when Blaine cheated on Kurt. He crossed the line there, and that was his decision. He put himself in that position. If the relationship was that important to Blaine, he should have talked to Kurt when he was visiting in NY. They should have talked about it, and decided if they could make it work, or if they should just end the relationship. Blaine was weak.
^This.
Even is Blaine discovered that he couldn't do long distance, he could have ended it with Kurt before he went out to find someone else to have sex with.
He even could have told Kurt that he wanted to be with him, but he couldn't do it like this, and put their relationship on hold for a year: set Kurt free, the way Santana set Brittany and herself free.
There's nothing shameful about needing physical sex and not being able to keep a long distance relationship, but Blaine should have talked to Kurt about it before having sex with someone else.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/10/2012, 11:52 am

After watching the ep yet again (it's a good ep and this is going to be a long hiatus) one thing struck me about how Kurt would have seen Blaine's cheating in such a devestating light. I couldn't help from imagine how Blaine describing the guy that he cheated with "meaning nothing" would sound to Kurt.

Kurt is a young man for whom physical intimacy is the ultimate display of love. It's not something that comes easily or naturally for him. He's the consumate romantic who for a time could barely imagine going beyond holding hands or kissing. But almost didn't need to tell Kurt not to throw himself around and treat sex as something that didn't really matter because it already mattered tremendously to Kurt. For him, reaching the point where he could allow himself to be naked, both physically and emotionally, before someone else could only come from a place of deep love and trust. He had that with Blaine, so he was able to take that leap.

To someone who views sex as being so precious a gift that should only be presented in love, what Blaine did was the ultimate desecration. Not only did Blaine give what had only been between the two of them to someone else, but it did it with someone that he cared absolutely nothing for. What had previously been special and private between them was no longer so, and it was done in a way that was "throwing it about". Kurt might have been able to tolerate it had Blaine cheated with someone that he knew and cared something about so that the act wouldn't have been so devoid of meeting. But because Blaine chose a stranger and had no emotional connection beyond his own selfish needs at that moment, it debased what he and Kurt had shared.

While I want Kurt to date and have other relationships before making any decision about taking Blaine back, I just don't see him sleeping around. It's not his nature and while he is more comfortable with the idea of sex than he ever was, it's still not something that he can just do with someone out of boredom. It will always be something special to share with someone that he cares about, if not loves. It might seem old fashioned and prissy to some in this day and age, but I find it so refreshing to see a young man who doesn't feel it necessary to have sex just fo rthe sake of having it.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 10/10/2012, 1:52 pm

I agree. This kind of intimacy was something they shared only with each other. Something very special, especially for someone so romantic like Kurt. Now Blaine gave this to somebody else, somebody who meant nothing. It feels like he didn't appreciate what they had and what they shared the same Kurt did.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 10/10/2012, 1:57 pm

Kurt's attitude is refreshing, whereas a lot of guys on television it is a mark of their "manhood" how many times they can have sex. As if that makes them a man. A man can hold a relationship together, that requires strength. Getting a hook up only requires a low IQ or booze, not exactly the biggest accomplishment.

It's like all the people who want Rachel to make out with every random guy. It isn't because they want her character to be happy, it is gratuitous sex that gets them going.

If Kurt forms a friendship with a guy, I can see him sleeping with them, but nothing immediate. I see the vague possibility of Kurt forming a friendship, perhaps with Chase, and them beginning to like each other, just about the time we find out exactly what happened with Blaine and Eli C. Blaine then decides to win Kurt back, and finds out Kurt has begun to date someone else. Just like the Finchel scenario. Once they are with someone else, then the other is suddenly interested in getting them back.

I don't know if they will do that, or just have them both pine, while Blaine gets to sing and dance with the Warblers. I am really hoping for that Vogue party, because we know how Kurt dresses for a night out, I really want to see what he does in NY at a VOGUE party. Hopefully something elegant and retro, that shows off his tush Razz Because if we can't get anything lovely for Kurt, at least get him admired.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/10/2012, 4:48 pm

Not to burst anyone's bubble,
Spoiler:

I think Kurt will be quicker this time to have sex if he starts dating again, but he still will be a one guy at the time person, meaning he will only be with a guy he got to know better by dating him first, and not hook up with someone else every other weekend.
I just think that he won't wait too long with going all the way as he did before with Blaine, if he's in a new relationship.

Oh, getting my hopes up again, am I? unsure
(I like Chase)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/10/2012, 5:00 pm

4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 7Laz7

I need this in my life.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/10/2012, 5:26 pm

Ranwing wrote:4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 7Laz7

I need this in my life.
The king ship is dead. Long live the king ship!

wub ptdr
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/10/2012, 5:40 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
Ranwing wrote:4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 7Laz7

I need this in my life.
The king ship is dead. Long live the king ship!

wub ptdr

And what should we call this new ship? Churt? Kase? Personally, I vote for Kase. Churt sounds like the name of a muppet that never made it out of development.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 10/10/2012, 5:43 pm

Do they already have a ship name? I don't think I like this idea. dryy

As much as I want for Kurt to explore his limits and just go for it I can not hope that a work collegue is nothing more than a supportive friend and a collegue. Kurt, and Rachel for that matter, would benefit knowing other worlds besides Glee, music and fashion. I also know there are a lot of Brochel? fans out there because they know each others likes and are superficially similar. I guess I'm more of the "opposite sides attract" school then "We are so similar" type.

But Glee is all about pairing people up, so it would be logical for them to do the same for Kurt. Buuuut Kurt is a boy that likes other boys. Not sure if Fox still likes that basic consept any more than they did before.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/10/2012, 6:12 pm

I just want Kurt to have some fun and get someone to chase him (Chase! Ha!) for a change. Smile

I never was a shipper, so whatever makes Kurt happy (as long as it isn't Blaine anymore) is fine by me. He can join a convent for all I care, if that makes him happy (although I think he won't like the clothes). Razz

But I'll settle for Chase being just a nice work friend for now. Again: as long as it makes Kurt happy I'm fine either way. Enjoy your freedom bb, while it lasts.

Oh, and just for future references: I vote for Kase. fanny2
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 10/10/2012, 6:22 pm

Kase sounds tough and efficient but all I can think about is cheese when I read that and I'm not even that good on my german. tonguue
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/10/2012, 7:00 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:Kase sounds tough and efficient but all I can think about is cheese when I read that and I'm not even that good on my german. tonguue
Darn, now I can't unsee that anymore.

Well, Churt sounds awful, so what's left? Hummadison? Rolling Eyes
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/10/2012, 8:22 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
valkeakuulas wrote:Kase sounds tough and efficient but all I can think about is cheese when I read that and I'm not even that good on my german. tonguue
Darn, now I can't unsee that anymore.

Well, Churt sounds awful, so what's left? Hummadison? Rolling Eyes

Mummel. And that sounds plain bad. Too much like mumble. Or another failed muppet.

I can get behind some workplace flirting by a hot older guy. So long as he backs off and is happy to be Kurt's friend if that's all he wants, but it'll be nice to see someone chase Kurt for a change.

Get it? Chase Kurt! Hee.... ptdr
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 10/10/2012, 9:35 pm

What about the Anti-Klaine?
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/11/2012, 3:42 am

The thing about the Vogue.com party spoiler is the one that says it is fake is a anon, and I don't always trust them.

I suppose like always we have to wait and see, though it could be partly true but changed up a bit and it is not Anna Wintour's assistant but Chase that asks him to dance. Rolling Eyes

That is my scene in my head, and I am going to enjoy it until RIB ruin it like they always do. 4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 3181402168 4x04 "The Break-Up" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 5 357632081
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 10/11/2012, 1:12 pm

Just, please, please, please, RIB, let this kid have a romantic moment or two with somebody besides Blaine. If there must be a Klaine reunion, I want it to be because Kurt has options and just decides that the heartbroken man sobbing on his knees to him, pleading for forgiveness is worth taking another chance on. I want him to know what it's like to be wanted by somebody else, to know that he's actually attractive and worthy of love, devotion, and.... loyalty.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 7 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next