Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread--part 4

+36
ladydianab
bayth
ColferGirl
Catt24
Vir Cotto
emilynna
kac
Dame Loli
ChrisColferFan1
Divalicious
dap1217
E-ko
Ireth
msjoanlucette
happydays
sheny
paulopf
fountain
Esme
Shinra17
Emile
valkeakuulas
CloveGlee
Jellyrolls
arina
ColferInspired
Delight
fantastica
sjonnepon
tanita_mors
sahhar
Glorfindel
BlueJazz
Buenos
M&M
brisallie
40 posters

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread--part 4 - Page 35 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread--part 4

Post  valkeakuulas 7/25/2012, 3:08 pm

Buenos wrote:WE have details on Rachel because I think she is the one character they've devised what they think is her arc for the year, they've built up a small world around her, the rest of the characters they are going to pull things out of their asses as they go along. I don't think Mercedes andSantana are going to have sets built around them for a fictional Louisville and LA music scene. Kurt is "easy" they keep him in OHio and Lima, and then transport him to NY to Rachel's "apartment set" , ie her support. To me it's pretty obvious that Kurt and Santana are going to end up in NY because they want everyone tethered to Rachel...which means Finn will end up there eventually also .

This just actually made me laugh. I kept thinking of what is left at Lima...oh nooo. Smile All the even slightly significant people, that includes Glee star Rachel, are in New York. I'm now quite sure the writers haven't a clue as to what people watch from their TVs. I mean it's now not even me and us advertising and screaming Chris' talent, but seriously if they have a new love-triangle with Finchel and this new guy in NY, Santana being success seeking missile in NY and Kurt being the supportive fashion gayster for Rachel in NY then Lima really has nothing does it? saispa
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread--part 4 - Page 35 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread--part 4

Post  Buenos 7/25/2012, 3:36 pm

But it was significant that they left Kurt's storyline a completely open ended question at the end of season 3 and are keeping any hints of what they've got in mind for him under wraps. You're right that it could be that it's because they really don't have anything in mind and I'll grant that this is a real possibility. But it's equally possible that something interesting is coming down the pike for him.

Just to clarify, I'm not saying the writers don't like Kurt or see the value of him as a character. I just don't think the writers are disciplined enough to have a "Bible" of character development and coherency for a whole season like well written shows do.

I'm sure they have ideas, Glee writers actually start out with a lot of potentially interesting story line arcs. The problem is that they don't follow through and most of their arcs peter out or are resolved in WTF manner. It seems given that Kurt gets to NY eventually, but just what they do in the process is the crux, not the "end goal" per se. I think back of how they butchered the relationship/courtship with Blaine in season 2 (Kurt 3rd choice, not "sexy' Blaine "bi", oblivious to Kurt, Kurt having to wait to be liked/noticed, etc. ) which potentially had great promise, IMO the writers thought because they got to the "end game" ie Kurt got a boyfriend it didn't matter. Well it did because they destroyed a lot of the good will people had for the pairing (and never developed Blaine). Ditto Kurt's "bullying/Dalton arc" which was so WTF in it's drawn out process and even resolution.

I agree that once Kurt gets to NY, despite everything, it would not be completely stale because they can't retread Kurt as the "poor martyred too fem teenage gay in Lima, Ohio" when he will be just one of many career hopefuls in the big Apple.

The writers and RM keep on harping how not to worry because Kurt is "beloved" and is "resilient" and in the end will be triumphant, but I laugh because it's the journey which is what holds the interest, not the end result. That is why the end of season 3 was so crushing, not only did the journey suck for Kurt but even the cheap gimme of a quasi happy ending was also denied.

MY issue is if they have him wallowing him Lima for upteen episodes because that is the only way to keep the McKinley scenes interesting. That is what I mean by not thinking things through. My hunch is that some lazy excuse will get him to NY in a heartbeat sometime in the middle of the season, if it happens earlier it's gravy to me. I hope they give him agency in finally getting to New York (ie he figures out a way to get there) but we'll have to wait and see.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/25/2012, 4:01 pm

banzai This.

My hopes are not set high for getting a satisfying journey and resolution for Kurt. :(
These writers have proven over and over again how bad they are at continuity and executing/following through a decent storyline. They don't think ahead, and they don't look back at the canon they created themselves. They write in the spur of the moment without connecting the dots of past, present and future.

I think that up till very recently RIB still didn't know what to do with Kurt, and that they only had figured out at the end of season 3 that they would use him as a tool to keep people interested in Lima, and when that's accomplished (or failed) they will send him to New York to give some gay color to Rachel's storyline. They will try to give Kurt his own journey, but after a promising start it will come to a grinding halt and slowly die or be dismissed quickly, when other shining toys take over in the choir room or Rachel needs another boost from her best gay.

At this point, anything that doesn't suck for Kurt I will consider a positive development.
I wish I could really feel that way, and not just pretend that I don't care for Glee and Kurt anymore, because sadly, I still care for what happens to this lovely young man.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 7/25/2012, 4:14 pm

I think that up till very recently RIB still didn't know what to do with Kurt, and that they only had figured out at the end of season 3 that they would use him as a tool to keep people interested in Lima.

This. banzai

"Choke" makes more sense if they originally anticipated Kurt to go to NY at season end. I'm convinced they switched the ending for Kurt because they were at an impasse over what to do with Lima scenes for season 4.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/25/2012, 4:58 pm

RIB knows exactly what to do w/ kurt, and they've been doing it since second season - to kick his butt!

if you guys are expecting the "The Kurt Hummel Success Story show" you are not watching the right show.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 7/25/2012, 5:05 pm

Buenos wrote:"Choke" makes more sense if they originally anticipated Kurt to go to NY at season end. I'm convinced they switched the ending for Kurt because they were at an impasse over what to do with Lima scenes for season 4.

I agree that it appears that the writers changed their mind at the last minute about who to send to NY (and I think we all can agree that they made the wrong decision). I think that everything was very clearly pointing to Kurt finally getting something that he'd been working so hard on, but then they suddenly realized that they left Rachel with nothing to end the season with. It was almost as if they went "Oh shit! What did we do?" blinkk

Rather than do what would have been the interesting and challenging thing - to have Kurt enter NYADA as he deserved and Rachel would have to find it within herselt to actually handle failure and find another avenue to NY (which would have allowed me to retain the traces of sympathy I had left towards her), they reversed themselves and threw everything but the kitchen sink so that Rachel's acceptance to NYADA, while it doesn't make sense or feel at all realistic, got done. And Kurt... well, they'd figure out something for him later. Well, it's later, writers. Time to get your crap in order. You took a favorite character and one of the best actors on television today and completely screwed him over. Now it's time to fix the damage that you did.

For those of us who are not Rachel fans, this has been something galling us all summer. This has been stuck in my craw since Goodbye aired. Now, I'll try to keep some cautious optimism that Kurt's story might just work out in a satisfactory way if the writers can give him a story that is his and his alone and doesn't automatically put him in competition with Rachel the way NYADA did (since they have no intention of ever letting Rachel actually lose at something) and lets him stand on his own two feet. Let him find his own path (hopefully one far, far, far away from Rachel).

Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/25/2012, 5:11 pm

“Glee” Seeks New 16 Year Old Girl, Possible Series Regular

“Glee” is set in high school, but three quarters of the people on it look they’re ready for pensions. (Just kidding!) So now a casting call has gone out for a recurring character, possible series regular. Here’s the description: GIRL] Female, 16 and above (to play high school) -PRETTY, star quality. SHE MUST SING
WELL…we are looking for more of a pop sound rather than Broadway. Please submit all ethnicities. RECURRING WITH SERIES OPTION. In other words, with Chord Overstreet returning as a regular, the show’s producers are obviously trying to regain their younger audience. The question is, without Emmy nods and after its heat-years have passed, how much gas “Glee” has left in the tank is anyone’s guess. Season Four begins next month. But the casting call? Other than Overstreet, it looks like none of the 20 or so already recurring characters is being promoted to full time.

http://www.showbiz411.com/2012/07/25/glee-seeks-new-16-year-old-girl-possible-series-regular
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ladydianab 7/25/2012, 5:22 pm

Because it is so freaking hot here in Kansas I have been staying inside (when not out at work) and just the other day I did a Glee marathon. I watched season 1 and part of Season 2 and 3. I am so totally amazed that Kurt (the character) is really nothing like Chris (the person). Until we got to see more of him in person, being himself, he seemed synonymous with Kurt. This truly is the sign of a great actor; when you forget the real person and see the character. Kurt really is a lovable arrogant smart kid. Chris is lovable, smart and very personable (this is just an assumption from all the posts etc.. from fans. I have no personal experience). I see the Kurt/Chris personas completely separate. I see a story line that involves CC as KH. What I would love to see is some writer/show (whatever) create a series focused a different character and have Chris play the part. It would be wonderful to see him shine in something other Kurt Hummel. Just wishful thinking, I know.

I agree that if the glee writers don't let us see more Chris as Kurt Hummel at Chris will let us see more Chris (I couldn't find the actual quote in this post, sorry!). I think Chris is the better deal. I really love this kid!!
ladydianab
ladydianab
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/25/2012, 5:28 pm

^ I like your ideas a lot but it's so unrealistic. we can't even get hte writers to write something happy and fulfilling for kurt let alone creating different characters for him to play with.

now here's a QnA I saw on CCN:

"Hi! Just a quick question. Do you know if Chris already started shooting glee?" by Anonymous

He definitely was on set Monday, and had his hair cut and styled in Kurt-fashion. He may have filmed something then, or just done costume fittings and stuff. I’m pretty sure he’s back at work full-time starting next Monday, though.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 7/25/2012, 6:13 pm

Buenos wrote:
The first photos of the people on set,

http://kurt-blaine.livejournal.com/4550643.html

Seriously, nothing against the actors but that "colorful" group of characters is suppose to sustain our interest in McKinley High School's New Directions.

No Chris, Lea, Cory, Naya or even Mark or Dianna.

Hold back my excitement.

zzzzzzz. The only ones who I mildly care about are Sam, Artie, and Tina.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 7/25/2012, 6:16 pm

Buenos wrote:
a two year old can hold back your excitement, an invalid platypus, an earthworm.

Are you describing the current choir room line up? Razz

All kidding aside, who in the world thought that Sam, Brittany, Tina , Blaine, Sam make the most scintillating mix of characters? Artie does have some snark, and Sugar shows comic shading, but this isn't overall a group of characters who are intrinsically interesting or dynamic. Most of them are blandly "nice" and the problem with both Brittany and Blaine is that their respective partners brought all the color to their dynamics.
My prediction is that the show is going to backpedal quite quickly from their "McKinley High is still the center of the show" position once they realize they can't generate any interest with this cast.

From your fingers to God and RIB's eyes.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/25/2012, 6:26 pm

^ you can't tell which side is generating more interests. they will do half and half so the rating won't be indicative of which side is more successful or not.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/25/2012, 7:38 pm

Buenos wrote:My prediction is that the show is going to backpedal quite quickly from their "McKinley High is still the center of the show" position once they realize they can't generate any interest with this cast.
Nope, I actually think they are going to turn the show into a (current) pop based song and dance teens oriented show that heavily involves the fun choir room at McKinley High, full of hot young guys and lovely girls. Plus RIB/Fox will try to have their cake and eat it too by inserting Rachel Berry's story with a little Kurt on the side in New York, to keep the older fans happy.

The new additions to the cast all are required to have pop voices, not Broadway (as Fox mentioned specifically in the applications), even when the character is supposed to be a student at NYADA and has already performed on Broadway in canon.
In season 4 Glee will air after Idols (and the Voice?), and they have already linked Britney Spears (who is a judge in Idols) to the show. There will be more cross-overs from both shows, probably themed episodes for both shows on the same night and such (and the 2 episode tribute they already announced is quite telling in this). Song rights for Fox will be cheaper this way, if they can kill 2 shows birds with 1 stone.
There are 2 new cast members who have been on Idols (one in america, the other in Australia). They're young and gorgeous, but it's doubtful if they can act. They want to sell Glee to the Idols and iTunes audience.

That the choir room is desperately lacking acting talent seems unimportant: as long as the new ND members can sing pop songs that sell and get the teengirls fanning themselves. They will rely on the adult character actors (Matt, Jane, Jayma and Dot) to keep some interesting storylines going on at McKinley High, and hopefully one of the new young additions will become a popular character they can build their ND stories around (lol, forget Tina again).

If it wasn't for the fans complaining about losing Rachel, Finn and Kurt after season 3 they would have dropped the graduates in the ocean this year, only to be seen again at Christmas and such (so much for the Rachel stans saying that Glee is and has been the Rachel Berry show from the beginning, when RM wanted Rachel off the show in season 4). But Fox intervened and the big 3 are to stay bound to Glee.
The writers are still interested in Rachel, so they don't mind giving her her own segment on the show every episode. They're not that interested in Finn (except for Brad Falchuk it seems), unless he's part of Finchel, and Cory is getting too old, but luckily he won't be around too much because he's filming 2 indie movies, so they shipped him off to the army for now.

But darn, there's this gay kid that became popular overnight, and though they loved writing for him at one time, other shiny toys got louder and more appealing to RIB (and more pliable than Chris, who is becoming succesful, and therefore powerful in his own right, outside of the show), and Fox loves catering to the teen fans who watch for Darren and Chord and vote on the TGP project.
The new and improved gays are standing in line to take over from effeminate Kurt, but too bad they can't get rid of lady Hummel and Chris Colfer, because their fanbase is so large and the media just love them. And let's not forget: Kurt is still the inspirational gay of the show, even though they kept "exploring his resilience" untill he's just a shadow of his old self. It was nice milking that ~inspirational concept and get critical acclaim for it themselves while it lasted, but it's getting too boring and tiring to keep thinking up stories for the fem gay that don't involve him getting humiliated or crying.
Letting Kurt win something in season 3 was not possible, because Blaine was to be promoted as the acapella dreamboat alpha gay and the ideal Tony, and as Kurt's story was the same as Rachel's, him winning over her would outshine whatever Rachel was doing, because you can't have someone sharing the spotlight with the special snowflake, now can you?
Klaine was beautiful while fresh, and they do still attract some very devoted viewers, but the network is too afraid of losing a few homophobic advertisement businessmen who cannot put their adds in a show that shows the horror of 2 boys in love. Plus everytime Kurt is seen with Blaine it reminds the viewers that Blaine is not straight (and boy: do they regret not making Blaine bi now), and we can't have that too often either, as Blaine is the answer to every teenage dream, and that means we must forget he's gay most of the time.

And darn the fans and media for noticing they've kicked Kurt to the curb a few times too many, because now RIB/Fox can't just have it their way and keep Kurt on the show as a token flamboyant gay bf and bff who always takes the high road no matter what gets thrown at him (how ~inspirational), but now they need to write a decent story for him too; a story that will keep the Kurtsies attached to the show, but will not come too near to overshadowing Rachel Berry's journey to fame and glory.
I honestly suspect that RIB/Fox don't want to write for Kurt anymore, and only have to (not want to) use the potential of Chris (the Golden Globe winner, Emmy and SAG nominee and most influential Time 100 person, and phenomenal actor), as an audience drawer in every storyline they put him in, to lift other people's stories to the next level and beyond. So they keep him in Lima to anchor the ND part, and they send him to Rachel when her storylines in New York alone do not interest enough people (boring) and the audience will stop watching the Rachel Berry show.

Kurt and Chris are the crutches that Glee uses to stand upon, whenever necessary, It was obvious in season 3, when they put Kurt in storylines of Blaine, Santana and Karofsky (and them in his storylines) and involved him in Rachel's road to NYADA (to launch the spinoff) and the useless presidency campaign, without giving him any pay-off or meaningful journey within those storylines.

I would love to be proven wrong on this. :(

(and yes, I'm back from holiday, rested, but still furious, as you can see.) tonguue
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 7/25/2012, 8:56 pm

Glorfindel , you're more pessimistic then I am..lol.

I'm not sure that it's because they've lost interest in Kurt but that the show simply does not know how to write satisfying arcs for ANYONE. After all, this is the show that last year had the Shelby/puck/Quinn baby arc which ended up with Puck sleeping with the teacher, and said teacher having practically zero interaction with her biological daughter by the end of the storyline. It was crazy how jaw droppingly stupid the arc turned out to be.
Plus all the marriage Finchell drama which made both Finn and Rachel look mentally challenged.

That is an interesting premise you state that they just want to make GLEE a teenage audience/AmericanIdol HS format show. You could be right, though I wonder how much of what happened was based upon the concept of the spin-off show that never materialized. In my own delusional mind I always thought that RM wanted a more adult spin off based upon Rachel/Finn/Kurt but that They jumped the gun with the Grduation/gate and FOX blinked and said "Hell NO" to the idea of a spin-off.
Now they are saying it won't be as much a split narrative as much as a Lima, Ohio centered narrative. So your prediction could be the more accurate one.

Interesting.

Is pretty obvious they've retrenched and rethought the show format more than once. I still think at one opoint they envisioned Kurt/Rachel skipping off in tandem to New York.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/25/2012, 9:26 pm

Hay Marie, I agree w/ you 98.76%! especially the direction they are going, ie: teen pop show w/ hot guys and pretty girls (aka high school musical). btw glee will be aired after X Factor, but it's the same concept and audience as AI.

fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/25/2012, 9:52 pm

Buenos wrote:Glorfindel , you're more pessimistic then I am..lol.
Hey, I'm just trying to keep my expectations for Kurt as low as possible. Then the only way it can go from there is up. fanny2

I'm not sure that it's because they've lost interest in Kurt but that the show simply does not know how to write satisfying arcs for ANYONE. After all, this is the show that last year had the Shelby/puck/Quinn baby arc which ended up with Puck sleeping with the teacher, and said teacher having practically zero interaction with her biological daughter by the end of the storyline. It was crazy how jaw droppingly stupid the arc turned out to be.
Plus all the marriage Finchell drama which made both Finn and Rachel look mentally challenged.
True, they really mess up big time all the time. I especially felt bad for Puck in the baby arc, because he tried so hard but got zero agency at the end and never any emotional recognition for losing Beth (and Shelby) after all his honest care.
Don't remind me of the Finchel wedding. The only thing I liked about that was Finn wanting to poop in Rachel's bathroom, and that is saying something.

God, these writers are bad. Evil or Very Mad

That is an interesting premise you state that they just want to make GLEE a teenage audience/AmericanIdol HS format show. You could be right, though I wonder how much of what happened was based upon the concept of the spin-off show that never materialized. In my own delusional mind I always thought that RM wanted a more adult spin off based upon Rachel/Finn/Kurt but that They jumped the gun with the Grduation/gate and FOX blinked and said "Hell NO" to the idea of a spin-off.
Now they are saying it won't be as much a split narrative as much as a Lima, Ohio centered narrative. So your prediction could be the more accurate one.

Interesting.

Is pretty obvious they've retrenched and rethought the show format more than once. I still think at one opoint they envisioned Kurt/Rachel skipping off in tandem to New York.
Oh, I think the spin-off was RM's new idea he was very enthusiastic about (and that's why he blew off his mouth and dropped the Graduation bomb too soon last summer). RM really wanted to do a more adult spin-off with his favorites Rachel and Kurt (and let's be honest: Kurt was never written that bad by RM, except for 'Michael').

My believe is that after Graduation Gate RM was pissed off at everybody: Chris (and Cory), the media, Fox. Chris (and Cory) for accidentally and unintentionally showing to the media that RM did something wrong (because RM announced that the 3 would be off the show while the actors could not talk about the spin-off); the media for jumping on this news and twisting it into a frenzy; and Fox for the bosses wanting assurance that the big 3 would still sell Glee.
So RM either cancelled the spin-off himself out of spite, or got so irritated and bored that he could not do the spin-off the way he wanted to (by Fox not allowing him) that he lost all further interest in Glee and the Hummelberry journey to NYADA.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
fantastica wrote:Hay Marie, I agree w/ you 98.76%! especially the direction they are going, ie: teen pop show w/ hot guys and pretty girls (aka high school musical). btw glee will be aired after X Factor, but it's the same concept and audience as AI.
AI, the Voice, the X-factor, whatever. tonguue
I don't watch those shows, so I can keep enjoying my profession and sanity without having to grind my teeth every time I hear those contestants sing and especially the jury comments on them. My teeth and sanity are important to me. fanny2

So..... what 1.24% of my previous post do you not agree with? Suspect
tonguue
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/25/2012, 11:53 pm

wow marie you sure are back w/ full force! welcome back and love to see your angry posts! (i have been playing angry birds all day so I am totally in the mood to be angry) Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 7/26/2012, 5:47 am

The writing of the show is shit. There is no way around it. I'm just here for the pretty aka. our beautiful angel, and a song or two that I may like (hopefully from the said angel). Also, i get bragging right in 10-20 years when this show becomes world famous for how to ruin something that could have been the next Friends or West Wing or any other great show in record time all by yourself (I'm talking about RIB here). The way my parents remember Dynasty and such. Books will be written about the failure of this show, mark my words.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 7/26/2012, 8:31 am

tanita_mors wrote:The writing of the show is shit. There is no way around it.

It's quite telling when the only way to console ourselves about Kurt's shitty treatment on the show is to consider the fact that the Glee writers had screwed over nearly every other character on the show as well . The 'Kurt isn't the only one who gets lousy storylines' argument is just a testament to the low quality writing that we've had been forced to endure all this time.

The squandered potential in a show that could've been good, if not great, still causes me a fair bit of grief. None more than the squandered potential of Kurt Hummel.

It's true that our current emotional investment in Kurt's journey/story relies a lot on our goodwill towards Kurt (and Chris) that had been successfully cultivated in the earlier seasons. But I wonder how long this would last, if the inept writers continue their mission to destroy the show and all its once-beloved characters? There may come a time when I'll probably have to stop watching Glee just so that I won't have to witness the ongoing mistreatment and destruction of Kurt.

Glorfindel wrote:
Kurt and Chris are the crutches that Glee uses to stand upon, whenever necessary, It was obvious in season 3, when they put Kurt in storylines of Blaine, Santana and Karofsky (and them in his storylines) and involved him in Rachel's road to NYADA (to launch the spinoff) and the useless presidency campaign, without giving him any pay-off or meaningful journey within those storylines.

And it appears that Kurt would continue to serve as a crutch for the Lima storyline at the start of next season.

I find it galling how shamelessly they've used, and are continuing to use, Kurt on the show. He deserves so much better.

If Chris does't have to rely on Glee for a decent paycheck and some celebrity buzz, I really would be interested in seeing how long the show survives without Kurt Hummel.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 7/26/2012, 11:02 am

The writing of the show is shit. There is no way around it. I'm just here for the pretty aka. our beautiful angel, and a song or two that I may like (hopefully from the said angel). Also, i get bragging right in 10-20 years when this show becomes world famous for how to ruin something that could have been the next Friends or West Wing or any other great show in record time all by yourself (I'm talking about RIB here). The way my parents remember Dynasty and such. Books will be written about the failure of this show, mark my words.

The PTB want to pretend it's just over invested fans who are critical.
Has any show gone from 19 Emmy nominations to 3 in just 2 years?. Emmy voters are notoriously complacent with voting the same show in year after year if they maintain a certain standard and it speaks volumes how much the established industry perception is Glee has fallen so much in quality.

19 to 3.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 7/26/2012, 11:12 am

Glorfindel wrote:
Buenos wrote:My prediction is that the show is going to backpedal quite quickly from their "McKinley High is still the center of the show" position once they realize they can't generate any interest with this cast.
Nope, I actually think they are going to turn the show into a (current) pop based song and dance teens oriented show that heavily involves the fun choir room at McKinley High, full of hot young guys and lovely girls. Plus RIB/Fox will try to have their cake and eat it too by inserting Rachel Berry's story with a little Kurt on the side in New York, to keep the older fans happy.

I'm with Marie here. That show is not gonna be any better. I can only hope S4 wouldn't be worse than S3. But we'll never know. Evil or Very Mad

Delight wrote:
If Chris does't have to rely on Glee for a decent paycheck and some celebrity buzz, I really would be interested in seeing how long the show survives without Kurt Hummel.

This sounds interesting. I would love to see it, too.

This is not new, but I don't think it's posted:
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread--part 4 - Page 35 Tumblr_m7mo8yhz9B1ql1znmo1_500

I'm gonna miss Quinn, Mercedes, Puck & Mike on my screen :( They're not likeable all the time but I still like them in general. Plus, I prefer the old casts to new casts. Their chemistry is irreplaceable.

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/26/2012, 11:35 am

Delight wrote:
It's quite telling when the only way to console ourselves about Kurt's shitty treatment on the show is to consider the fact that the Glee writers had screwed over nearly every other character on the show as well . The 'Kurt isn't the only one who gets lousy storylines' argument is just a testament to the low quality writing that we've had been forced to endure all this time.
Whenever I see that argument used by fans of other characters I think: yes, that's absolutely true, but that doesn't mean we are not allowed to be rightfully complaining about Kurt's lousy storylines.
But it's sad, yes, how they ruined this show and all of its characters.

Glorfindel wrote:

And it appears that Kurt would continue to serve as a crutch for the Lima storyline at the start of next season.

I find it galling how shamelessly they've used, and are continuing to use, Kurt on the show. He deserves so much better.
banzai This.

And I bet that knowing that Glee can't survive without Kurt pisses the bosses at Fox and RIB off tremendously.

Kurt is a very popular character, but also a very controversial one, with him being the centre of passionate arguments going back and forth in the fandom and multiple media articles. Being out and especially proud, and effeminate to boot, does not sit well by many people. Chris does not have that bodyguard simply to ward off silly fangirls: he and Kurt are the posterboys of a group that is still not accepted and ostracized by loud and vocal nay-sayers, even within the LGBTQ community.
And then there's Kurt's voice (I refuse to call it Chris' voice in this instance), that has absolutely nothing to do with him being gay, but the connection still gets made, and this and the ignorance of many people about countertenors makes him even more of a polarizing character, whether he sells on iTunes or not.
Critical acclaim for the show, earned by 'inspirational' character Kurt Hummel, comes at a prize, and Fox is aware of that. They clearly want to stir the show into calmer (read: less gay) waters, with more silly pop songs and main stream heartthrobs, and everything about Kurt shouts gay-diddy-gay-diddy-gay-gay-gay in an undeniable and quite depressing way (by RIB's own doing!).

And Chris became a breakout star when the intented 'stars' of the show (Lea, Cory and Matt) never made it that big (well, except for Lea maybe) and these more convenient conventional actors never got as much awards and business buzz as Chris gets (mostly by his own efforts and hard work). The PTB of Glee may not like that either.
The only one who can compare with Chris when it comes to praise from peers in the business, is Jane Lynch, and look what has become of her character Sue. RIB kept her in the show when her storyline (hindering Mr. Schue and ND) was long over and done with, so she was retconned and rebooted several times (and it's only thanks to Jane's phenomenal acting that Sue is still a coherent, 3-dimensional character). And now that's Sue's nice to Will and her purpose as nemesis for ND is really over, they made her pregnant, because apparently that's what women do when they have no professional and work-related goals left.

I may be wrong on this (I hope I am), but I strongly feel that RIB and Fox are stuck with Kurt and Chris and don't like it at all. And though I suspect that, out of all of them, RM still loves (writing for) him, most of the other PTB of Glee don't want to invest in Kurt Hummel anymore, but are forced to because of his (and Chris') popularity.
So, instead of embracing and taking care of their best lauded character/actor (as they used to do), they only use him now to their own advantage: they show Kurt's loss to emphasize Rachel's win, they give Kurt a (lousy) cliffhanger to keep the Gleeks talking over summer, they put Chris in the final show of TGP to attract viewers for the TGP winner(s), they shove Chris towards the reporters at events because they know his interviews are always good and he's got more buzz than the others because of SBL and LoS, they vaguely promise Kurt a guest star in season 4, they position Kurt not only in Lima at the beginning of the new season, but also spoil that he's helping Mr. Schue fill the ranks of the bled out New Directions (the part of the show many people doubt will be interesting anymore), before shipping him off to New York to interact with Rachel so they can keep up the pretence that the Rachel Berry show Rachel in New York narrative is a big succes.

Yeah, still angry, sorry. blushh

(Lol, I should be working on reviews instead of typing this pity-party. Bad girl, bad, bad girl.) pauly
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 7/26/2012, 11:53 am

Glorfindel wrote:

I may be wrong on this (I hope I am), but I strongly feel that RIB and Fox are stuck with Kurt and Chris and don't like it at all. And though I suspect that, out of all of them, RM still loves (writing for) him, most of the other PTB of Glee don't want to invest in Kurt Hummel anymore, but are forced to because of his (and Chris') popularity.
So, instead of embracing and taking care of their best lauded character/actor (as they used to do), they only use him now to their own advantage: they show Kurt's loss to emphasize Rachel's win, they give Kurt a (lousy) cliffhanger to keep the Gleeks talking over summer, they put Chris in the final show of TGP to attract viewers for the TGP winner(s), they shove Chris towards the reporters at events because they know his interviews are always good and he's got more buzz than the others because of SBL and LoS, they vaguely promise Kurt a guest star in season 4, they position Kurt not only in Lima at the beginning of the new season, but also spoil that he's helping Mr. Schue fill the ranks of the bled out New Directions (the part of the show many people doubt will be interesting anymore), before shipping him off to New York to interact with Rachel so they can keep up the pretence that the Rachel Berry show Rachel in New York narrative is a big succes.

Yeah, still angry, sorry. blushh

(Lol, I should be working on reviews instead of typing this pity-party. Bad girl, bad, bad girl.) pauly

Wow, I've never thought of this but it makes so much sense Shocked I hope the show will prove us wrong but I can hardly get my hopes up now. And Marie, please don't feel bad for ranting here instead of working on reviews Smile You have the right to do so and I really don't think you're a bad girl at all. If you're bad, what am , then? Razz

PS: Where's Shinra these days? He's been gone for quite a few days.

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 7/26/2012, 12:52 pm

may be wrong on this (I hope I am), but I strongly feel that RIB and Fox are stuck with Kurt and Chris and don't like it at all. And though I suspect that, out of all of them, RM still loves (writing for) him, most of the other PTB of Glee don't want to invest in Kurt Hummel anymore, but are forced to because of his (and Chris') popularity.

I think the writers find it difficult to write for Kurt a myriad of reasons, the first one being that now that the "obvious" arc of Kurt's story had been told, ie coming out and being accepted by friends and family they would actually have to write things for Kurt as a character.
Mind you, they can't do that for any of the characters, but it's harder for them with Kurt because they can't revert to the cliches they used for the other characters. ( It's hard to believe they actually spent any time on the forced and contrived "triangle" of Samcerdes.)

So being an iconic gay character with a following, these writers IMO feel the character's popularity, image and standing constricts and limits what they can do with him. He's "harder" to write for in their eyes and they don't have any 'adult' ideas where to go with the character. They can't do teenage triangles with him and they think his being "gay gay" make his being gay to be front and center of his story lines. The ill fit shows. (The jaw dropping talk in "Goodbye" that he led the way for baby Tadpoles in McKinley as other gay students gush on seeing him in the hallways had absolutely nothing to do with what we saw in the show for 3 years and was insultingly condescending) And yet because this is FOX, at the same time they censor and limit themselves, so you get this strange mix where he comes across at times like a neutered gay YODA mouthing platitudes or they make him suffer because they think that puts him in a "sympathetic" light so that no one can criticize that. It's "safe" to make him suffer as weird as that sounds.

When you look back, there was no storyline that was truly his for the year. "NYADA" was Rachel, Karofsky was Karofsky's acceptance of himself, "The First time" was told probably more from Blaine's POV, "Michael/Dalton" devolved into confrontation with New Diretions and Santana versus Sebastian, etc, etc.

The best episode IMO had was "Choke", not so much because he won, but because just being gay wasn't the raison etre of the storyline. It was Kurt thinking through his doubts and bad advice to do something fresh and new for his audition piece. The thrill was his thinking on his feet. The fear wasn't Carmen rejecting him for being gay but for not being good enough, and that fear taps into something everyone can relate to.

I'm cynical, but it's more incompetence IMO then antipathy for his character that results in how horribly he's treated.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 7/26/2012, 2:57 pm

I don't think it is they don't want to write for Kurt Hummel, he has too many close relationships, and he is grounded in reality in a way Rachel is not. That makes him more complex to write and more interesting. Rachel is very much a child, and this season is her supposedly growing beyond that. Instead of everything being protected rainbows, she is going to have adversity. Again, I'll believe it when I see it, but that is what TPTB are saying.

Kurt is grounded in reality, he has suffered real loss, real conflict, but he also has real relationships that aren't just rose-colored glasses. He knows actions have consequences, he has been taught that many times. His very "realness" is his appeal, and why he affects us. But that realness also emphasizes how many of the other characters aren't real, including Rachel, their star. He was also limited because I really felt there was a full-court press in getting Lea an Emmy nomination, or at least a fairy tale ending to high school. Rachel can be dramatic in the hyperworld of McKinley, but NY is a real place, she can't be that out there anymore. I am hoping as they make Rachel more real, that Kurt will be allowed more of his characteristics that populated the first two seasons. Snark, sarcasm, intelligence and talent. I think the later time slot can only help.

I think the writers honestly dropped the ball, they had so many balls up in the air, trying to give successful conclusions to the people they knew wouldn't be back other than for little parts. They also really wanted to push Rachel's character, they gave her so much in so many areas, I can't but feel that was all sorts of Emmy bait. I think they really believe that Kurt got a lot of glory, but I also think now they know just how little they gave him. The fact that Chris kind of summarizes what Kurt didn't win in season 3 gives me the idea that they are now very aware of what they didn't do for Kurt. Since the fiasco last year Chris has been very careful in what he says about Glee, so I think it is telling he is "allowed" to talk about Kurt's losses.

While they want to focus to keep their teenyboppers and their itunes, to keep adults watching they need some drama that is effective and some comedy that is actually funny. That is why they set up for Sue to go after Figgins next year. For once Sue's object of ire is solely another adult, and an adult she doesn't have any power over. Sue also is hyperreal, and while the actress can do drama very well, it doesn't suit her character. Same with Rachel in her current state. The only one's set up to do real drama in this show are Kurt, Finn, Schue and Emma. Which of these do the audience really care about, IMHO, the first two. Finn is hampered by his limited intelligence, not dissing on him, but he isn't supposed to be a very smart person, so his reactions are emotional. Kurt, however, is smart, and well-trained in pain, and he can show the subtlety that Finn can't. He also has a different way of showing joy than Finn, not that we get to see that much.

I think the writers do like to write for Kurt for those reasons. They probably feel like real writers when they get to deal with the good actors characters. They have been very limited in the past with the actors they have, the problem with focusing on singing and dancing rather than acting talents. It makes them kind of lazy. Perhaps with a smaller core group to focus on, and the newer characters being there to flesh out current ones, they might pull themselves together and actually write something occasionally resembling cohesiveness.

I'm not betting on it, I'm not even hoping for it. I won't be surprised with the dreck they saddle Kurt with, but I don't think it is because of lack of interest or resentment, it is lack of focus and planning, and making an arc for a character outside of Rachel. She had a defined arc last year, muddled as it was, and as far as I see, only she and Finn actually came to a planned place at the end of the year. Kurt, they slacked off on, for drama, but also perhaps so we get to see his departure to NY. Chris does say we get to see how he gets there, and we all know one of our fears was that he would just arrive in NY to be the prop he is to Rachel. They might actually have heard some of our words.

I know they are aware how unhappy we still are after all these weeks.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 35 of 40 Previous  1 ... 19 ... 34, 35, 36 ... 40  Next