Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

+28
tophercolfer
Divalicious
mindschemez
Sunshine 2012
angelnessa
Delight
Catt24
brisallie
TimF
Ireth
bayth
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Ranwing
M&M
sjonnepon
Vir Cotto
Kurt addict
Glorfindel
Buenos
ChrisColfersLightning
Lottie2303
Georgette888
fantastica
ChrisColferFan1
coxfire
ColferInspired
sheny
32 posters

Page 18 of 33 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 33  Next

Go down

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 18 Empty Re: Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

Post  Buenos 12/3/2014, 7:38 pm

and he’s joined by Vanessa Redgrave, Sir Ian McKellen and Jonathan Pryce. And more I can’t tell you about yet."

They keep teasing us with casting news...!!! LOL ptdr ptdr
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 18 Empty Re: Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

Post  Buenos 12/9/2014, 3:51 pm

Nice retrospective on an exhibit of Noel Coward in NY:  "Star Quality: The World of Noël Coward",
Goes into how he created "Noel Coward the persona" coming from a lower class middle class family, limited education (self taught as far as music writing) and his family background.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AWgOM0M5H8g
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/9/2014, 5:42 pm

“The most important thing when finding the right person for a specific role is their talent and their energy. […] It is the case with casting a film about Noel Coward. Chris Colfer is an incredibly talented actor, he has an emotional intelligence that I believe audiences see themselves in. He also has a comparable energy to that which Noel Coward had at his age, an energy not usually associated with Noel Coward today because of who he became as he got older. It’s that combination of energy and emotional intelligence that has served him so well in Glee, and gained him so many fans. But I also know Chris has a lot more to give as an actor, so I’m going to work him very hard and it’s going to be great. We’re going to surprise a lot of people I think.”
— Joe Stephenson about casting an American actor as Noël Coward
tumblr noel-coward

neutre
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 12/9/2014, 6:00 pm

This guy knows how interest is being raised and kept. His first film didn't have a name cast like Noel now does but he isn't going to let that stop him from promotion, even if this cast would do it on its own.

And don't we all want Chris to give a performance of his life?
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 12/9/2014, 6:15 pm

“The most important thing when finding the right person for a specific role is their talent and their energy. […] It is the case with casting a film about Noel Coward. Chris Colfer is an incredibly talented actor, he has an emotional intelligence that I believe audiences see themselves in. He also has a comparable energy to that which Noel Coward had at his age, an energy not usually associated with Noel Coward today because of who he became as he got older. It’s that combination of energy and emotional intelligence that has served him so well in Glee, and gained him so many fans. But I also know Chris has a lot more to give as an actor, so I’m going to work him very hard and it’s going to be great. We’re going to surprise a lot of people I think.

I love the idea the director wants to work Chris "very hard". From his interview I get the impression that he considers Chris a gifted actor and wants to squeeze every ounce of his talent for the iconic role of Noel Coward.

Doesn't seem to be a "Masterpiece theatre" approach to this bio pic either (nothing wrong with those BTW) but the Director hints he has surprises up his sleeve.

The similarities between Chris and Noel Coward are striking, essentially self taught men (has Chris ever taken an acting lesson on the college level?) whose intelligence and self reliance shines through. Of course, it's not so much typecasting but as quoted, finding the actor with the right energy/drive and intelligence to tackle the role.

Can't wait.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 12/9/2014, 10:05 pm

Chris is much like Noel, in that he grew up on the stage. He started performing at a pretty young age and learned by doing as much as he did in acting classes. He developed his own style and method of finding the core of his character. He's got a remarkable natural instinct as an actor and that's not something that can be taught easily (if at all) because it's so natural for Chris. The fact that he also starting writing young is just one more commonality Chris shares with the man he will be portraying.

With how badly Glee is ending and how Chris is being treated, it's heartening to be reminded that there are people in the entertainment industry that think so highly of Chris and have so much respect for him as an actor. He is going to go far in his career and at some point, Glee is going to be a mere footnote on his resume.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 12/9/2014, 10:40 pm

Looking forward to this movie. I wish he was filming it now instead of Glee.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 12/9/2014, 10:41 pm

ChrisColferFan1 wrote:Looking forward to this movie. I wish he was filming it now instead of Glee.

Soon....
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 12/9/2014, 10:52 pm

Ranwing wrote:
ChrisColferFan1 wrote:Looking forward to this movie. I wish he was filming it now instead of Glee.

Soon....

True.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 12/9/2014, 11:46 pm

Are there any reviews out yet for the Noel's Director Joe A. Stephenson's current film "Chicken" ?
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/10/2014, 5:28 am

Ranwing wrote:

Soon....
Yes, soon. And thank God we have this wonderful project to be excited for.

Whenever Chris gets praised and respected for his acting skills (or singing) I'm so happy for him, and proud.
He deserves it so much to finally let his talents shine, and also to be prodded and encouraged by an inspired director like Joe seems to be, so he gets to shine even brighter than he has had the chance to so far.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/10/2014, 1:56 pm

it's so heartwarming to hear the director's own words on why they chose chris. i think the biggest concern was that chris is not english, and many consider Noel an icon of english culture. when they were first casting for HP, JK Rowling insisted on hiring only english actors for the job, especially HP. in Noel's case, this project is not the director's pet project but was is blessed w/ the Noel family/foundation, so his heirs must have some saying in the main casting decisions too. chris was the first one casted, and if the family did not approve, they would had plenty of time to look at other people. i am pretty sure there are a lot of super talented British actors, so their decision to choose Chris is even more evident of his suitability for this job.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 12/10/2014, 3:32 pm

Buenos wrote:
Are there any reviews out yet for the Noel's  Director Joe A. Stephenson's current film "Chicken" ?

This is one thing I have read about Chicken. I'm going to try and get to that Crouch End screening.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 12/10/2014, 6:13 pm

I suppose the most well  known Noel Coward plays today (based upon revivals I've seen) are "Privates Lives", "Hay Fever", "Design for Living" and "Blithe Spirit".   I love "Private Lives" and "Design for Living".   In those plays the risque, double entrendre quips abound, and "Design for living"  has  a  wink/wink "Menage a Trois" vibe to it, of course nobody in real life could be that witty, over articulate and glib but it's nice to fantasize being that way.  (Just like I wish I could be as witty and fast with a quip as Jane Austen's heroines, especially Elizabeth Bennet!)

IMO the most famous movies based upon Noel's writings are "Blithe Spirit" and "Brief Encounter".  

Would love to see a stage revival of his operetta "Bitter Sweet" ( Supposedly Noel Coward wept when he saw what MGM did with their bastardized movie version of it in the 30's)

For the period of time that Chris will be portraying Noel Coward, (IIRC ages 15-24/25) it fits in the time frame of his first big stage hit, which was quite controversial for it's subject matter, "The Vortex".   The mother is a nymphomaniac and the son is a cocaine addict and it premiered on stage when Noel was only 25.

There is so much they could delve into with this Noel bio pic that I am so excited to have them start it already!

I can't think of anyone comparable in the American cultural spectrum the last 50 years, (maybe earlier George S. Cohan who many consider the father of the American musical comedy ) but then again I can't think of any other Englishman who was both playwright, composer/song writer and actor in his own  productions like Noel Coward.

Can still hardly believe that Chris is going to play Noel Coward.     Noel frigging Coward!!

bounce  bounce
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 12/10/2014, 8:43 pm

I watched many of his movies growing up with my mum.

Chris loves everything British so he will give all the respect to the role as I know he will be challenged and enjoy every part of it.

Knowing Chris he would have put in tonnes of research, and maybe has talked to some of the people from the Noel foundation when he was in London.

Chris is wise beyond his years and has an older maturity you don't see in many actors his age. neutre
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 12/16/2014, 2:38 am

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/16/2014, 12:51 pm

what does #ohwrongnoel tag stand for?
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 12/16/2014, 1:51 pm

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 12/16/2014, 3:47 pm

fantastica wrote:what does #ohwrongnoel tag stand for?

Just a joke because there are some many references to noel with regard to Christmas at this season.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 12/16/2014, 7:01 pm

Just booked a ticket for the advance screening and Q&A of Chicken on Saturday 20th. Looking forward to it.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 12/18/2014, 1:10 am

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 18 Tumblr_ngrdspjnIH1qj202po1_1280
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColfersLightning 12/19/2014, 10:44 pm

I am super eager to see Chris in his Noel wardrobe, all those classic suits blushh wub uhuhu
ChrisColfersLightning
ChrisColfersLightning
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 12/19/2014, 11:57 pm

Georgette888 wrote:Just booked a ticket for the advance screening and Q&A of Chicken on Saturday 20th. Looking forward to it.

Look forward to hearing all about it.

I doubt I will get to see it in my country. :(
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 12/21/2014, 7:59 am

So I went to see Chicken last night. It was a very low budget film and a debut, but never looked 'film school' as so many debuts do. It was impressive with beautiful shots and some incredible performances. It came from a play, but it always looked filmic.

In the Q & A, Joe was very articulate and it was obvious that he has an excellent instinct for drawing out intense and 'real' performances. he came across as very dedicated and very actor-centric.

At the end, the interviewer mentioned that he had an exciting new project and he said that he was shooting in the spring, mentioned Chris, Ian, Vanessa etc and 'two others I can't speak about'. Also, cited the score by Patrick Wolf. No new info, but the confirmation was good to hear.

I was able to shake his hand as I left and tell him how I'd enjoyed it, and he was very sweet in thanking me for coming to see the film.

I really think that Chris is in good hands.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  angelnessa 12/21/2014, 11:33 am

That's so lovely to hear wub . Chris working with someone who appreciates his talent and wants to pull even more from him is so exciting. Joe sounds like a class act, and I really hope Chicken is available for general viewing in the future. I think we're all dying to know who those other two people are, but what an amazing cast already. Chris is one that will really appreciate the decades of experience those actors bring.
angelnessa
angelnessa
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 18 of 33 Previous  1 ... 10 ... 17, 18, 19 ... 25 ... 33  Next