Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15

+26
Delight
bayth
Kurt Hummel
ladydianab
M&M
Ireth
MoviesAreLife
SippyCupofLuv
ChrisColferFan1
Georgette888
brisallie
Divalicious
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Glorfindel
Lottie2303
sheny
arina
fantastica
Jellyrolls
ColferInspired
AnneNeville
opals
ColdFlame96
Ranwing
Buenos
30 posters

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15

Post  ColdFlame96 8/23/2013, 2:30 pm

Ranwing wrote:badday I have to admit that I'm really tired of every spoiler being about Rachel in some way. Why does every theatrical-type character automatically have to be pinned to her? She's not the only character with theater aspirations after all.
Seriously. Just because it has to do with Broadway doesn't mean it's automatically talking about Rachel. Both her and Kurt are at a Broadway school. But for real though, if this is about Kurt, I would be super happy! wub
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 2:41 pm

Well it's a given that Mercedes will be there in the tribute, just would love confirmation that Mark, Dianna and Harry were invited and can make it.

I do realize there could be personals reasons why they are not there.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/23/2013, 3:37 pm

Buenos wrote:Somehow I don't think "Seasons of Love" is the closing number.   I do expect Lea/Rachel to sing in the closing number and that is going to be so difficult to watch.:( 
I don't think it's the closing number either. I think it's the opening number, just like in the musical 'Rent'.
And maybe a reprise at the end, but I don't think so.

Buenos wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:Candles was pretty equal, but it was also awful and Id prefer to have it burned from my brain.
Don't kill me but I liked Candles.  I thought it was sweet.  phr34r   The boys singing on stage and Puck tearing up...
I know I tarnish my vocal coach reputation with this, but 'Candles' is my favorite Klaine duet. blushh 

valkeakuulas wrote:Can someone with more experience in music (glorfindel perhaps ;)or anyone) explain now that it is such an obvious in GTGYITML that Chris uses his vibration a lot, or should I say it's almost part of his voice, right? I just love those strong flowing notes!

Darren doesn't use it at all in here so my big question is, how much training would you need to do that or does it come naturally? And is there songs where it is not preferred or even frowned upon?
Ranwing wrote:Darren said in an interview not all that long ago that he has absolutely no vibreto and that his vocal folds have some kind of defect that don't allow him to learn to use it. I don't know how accurate that is (about a physical defect) but he has absolutely no vibreto and it's the primary reason that his vocal performances come across as rather flat to me. It might also explain his performance style to some degree. Vibreto is a technique used to help give emotional depth and tone to a performance, so without it Darren is reliant on facial cues to communicate emotion.

Have no vibreto at all is considered a major flaw in a singer and I've never heard of a singer who has none and is unable to correct that through training. Given that pop performances generally don't employ vibreto much, it's not a surprise that Darren does best with that genre (something that he acknowledged).
Wendy already answered part of your questions,@valkeakuulas. Darren doesn't have a vibrato, and he says it's due to his vocal chords defect, which could be true, I really can't tell without further information.
I also don't know if he still would have been able to get some vibrato by training, as it can be learned/trained up to a certain degree. I've had 2 students with no natural vibrato at all, and altough it was a long dedicated process, they were able to get some natural sounding vibrato in the end. There are tricks for that.

Chris has a natural very rich vibrato, which is considered as a big plus for a singer. The pop genre is about the only song style in which a vibrato is not needed, and sometimes it even gets in the way, but almost all other song genres profit from singers with (natural) vibrato, especially e.g. musical.
It's indeed the richness of the 'flowing' notes that makes a vibrato so appealing, as it 'broadens' the sound because the singer fluctuates from one end of a note (e.g. the low end) to the other end (e.g. the high end) of a note, all within the pitch limits of course.

BTW: it's much easier for a vibrato singer to suppress/withhold their vibrato (e.g. for pop songs) than it is for a non-vibrato singer to create vibrato.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 3:54 pm

All these character spoilers are so confusing now...

So far I know there is suppose to be :

A black female at McKinley named Ruby
A 20 something gal who is to be Chord's LI named Fanny (I think it was the original casting call for the character named Julie) who is going to be played by a friend of Lea from Spring Awakening...

Demi Lovato strugggling artist/friend of Santana (NY)
Adam Lambert (Kurt nemesis) (NY)
A theatrical producer type (NY)
A stage actor named Henry (NY)

Am I missing anybody else so far?
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 8/23/2013, 3:55 pm

^Thank You both for your answers. Smile

I hear vibrato with other singers very often in the end notes ie. The Big Notes, but with Chris you hear it sometimes even in the middle of the verses and they are adorable.

I would imagine that a full vibrato also requires a good breath control since the vibrato itself kinda "uses" extra breath inorder for it to happen?
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 4:02 pm

http://fallingintoaworldoflight.tumblr.com/post/59097661294/gleefilmingstuffs-hey-all-heres-a-bit-of-a

Can anyone break down who sings what?  

The quotes are what I think Chris sings...the Bold is either Darren  and astericks are shared lines..?

I was alone, I took a ride,
I didn't know what I would find there
Another road where maybe I could see another kind of mind there
Ooh, then I suddenly see you,
Ooh, did I tell you I need you
Every single day of my life

Got to get you into my life
What can I do, what can I be,
When I'm with you I want to stay there
If I'm true I'll never leave
And if I do I know the way there

Every single day of my life *****

Then suddenly I see you,
Did I tell you I need you
Got to get you into my life*******
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/23/2013, 4:53 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:^Thank You both for your answers. Smile

I hear vibrato with other singers very often in the end notes ie. The Big Notes, but with Chris you hear it sometimes even in the middle of the verses and they are adorable.

I would imagine that a full vibrato also requires a good breath control since the vibrato itself kinda "uses" extra breath inorder for it to happen?
Hmmm, difficult question to answer. You don't need good breath control for a natural vibrato: all it takes is relaxiation.
Of course, a good breath control can take away tension on the voice and therefore create that relaxiation, which supports and enhances a natural vibrato.
But you can also sing relaxed without using good breath control, and then singers with natural vibrato will have that vibrato at that moment anyway. Although singing relaxed without good breath control usually really messes up your pitch and volume.

On the other hand you definitely need good breath control to train/create vibrato when it doesn't come to you naturally as a singer. As I said: you need to develop and train tricks if it doesn't come to you naturally, and those tricks always involve  good breath control.

Did I make that clear? unsure

And yes, most singers have vibrato only on the long notes, which are usually the last notes of a sentence. It's the singers with a full, rich vibrato who also vibrate on the medium long notes in the middle of sentences.

Buenos wrote:http://fallingintoaworldoflight.tumblr.com/post/59097661294/gleefilmingstuffs-hey-all-heres-a-bit-of-a

Can anyone break down who sings what?  

The quotes are what I think Chris sings...the Bold is either Darren or shared lines?

Every single day of my life

What can I do, what can I be,
When I'm with you I want to stay there
If I'm true I'll never leave
And if I do I know the way there

Every single day of my life *****

Then suddenly I see you,
Did I tell you I need you
It's really hard to hear, but I think you're mostly right.  The blue lines are very unclear to me.
And I know from one of the youtube videos that Darren sings a higher 2nd voice when Chris leads in a few lines, but it's not audible here and I can't remember when and I don't have access to the videos right now.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 4:57 pm

Marie, I think the last "Got to Get You into my life" is another shared line.

You're right that watching the video pretty much confirms on some of it who sings what.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 8/23/2013, 5:18 pm

I don't think that Kurt's had lead on a duet with Blaine since Candles. It's a nice change.

I'm starting to look forward to the first eps. Partly out of curiousity in that I'm interested in seeing what they have planned for Kurt (with expectations to rage accordingly) but also because the music that Kurt's involved in looks to be really interesting. I can happily mute everything else, but I want to hear and see Kurt perform these songs.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 5:21 pm

Ranwing wrote:
I'm starting to look forward to the first eps. Partly out of curiousity in that I'm interested in seeing what they have planned for Kurt (with expectations to rage accordingly) but also because the music that Kurt's involved in looks to be really interesting. I can happily mute everything else, but I want to hear and see Kurt perform these songs.
Lime green tight camouflage pants, nuff said. phr34r 

Plus the suit in "AYNIL" looks gorgeous....
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 8/23/2013, 5:28 pm

Glorfindel wrote:

Hmmm, difficult question to answer. You don't need good breath control for a natural vibrato: all it takes is relaxiation.
Of course, a good breath control can take away tension on the voice and therefore create that relaxiation, which supports and enhances a natural vibrato.
But you can also sing relaxed without using good breath control, and then singers with natural vibrato will have that vibrato at that moment anyway. Although singing relaxed without good breath control usually really messes up your pitch and volume.

On the other hand you definitely need good breath control to train/create vibrato when it doesn't come to you naturally as a singer. As I said: you need to develop and train tricks if it doesn't come to you naturally, and those tricks always involve  good breath control.

Did I make that clear? unsure

And yes, most singers have vibrato only on the long notes, which are usually the last notes of a sentence. It's the singers with a full, rich vibrato who also vibrate on the medium long notes in the middle of sentences.
I find this all facinating and yes you were clear.

I've listened to that bad audio too many times now. I cannot be well, because I'm actually waiting for the full version of this. I'm expecting something good from Glee! Perhaps it's fabulousness will compensate the scene.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 8/23/2013, 6:00 pm

Buenos wrote:
Ranwing wrote:
Lime green tight camouflage pants, nuff said. phr34r 

Plus the suit in "AYNIL" looks gorgeous....
Lord, yes, those pants are really enough in themselves. *g*
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Empty spoiler stuff

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/23/2013, 6:10 pm

I do not mind Santana having an important part in the tribute episode at all. In fact, it seems fitting. I'll tell you why in a second.

Also do not mind Rachel not showing up until the end. We don't need to see her bawling in every scene to know that, yes, she is among those most impacted by the death of Finn. Maybe it was just too painful for Lea to allow her face to be plastered all over the episode given the real life loss of Cory? Having her show up at the end is enough, and it drives the point home.

I wonder if others close to him like Kurt, Will, Puck, Carole and Burt (maybe even Marley) will have highlights in the episode as well? I'm going to refrain from being a snarky bitch about this episode though....it's a sensitive issue and I'm sure they are doing their best over there. They cannot win no matter what with certain disgruntled fans from ALL sub-divisions of the general Glee fandom. The show already has enough detractors (because of the LGBT issues) without its own "fans" tearing it apart for their own selfish reasons, even during a moment as crucial as this. It's not about our or their favorite characters getting the spotlight...it's all about Finn and saying goodbye to one of the main characters from the start and one of the most relatable figures of the show, period. We all need to put our differences aside right now...Kurtsies, Blaine stans, Rachel stans, Santana stans, newbie fans, ect.

I actually LOVE that Santana is having a big part of this episode, and it has nothing to do with sleeping together once upon a time. Virginity is overrated. It's about their rocky relationship. Yes, he outed her. But she was awful to him from day one and even AFTER they supposedly made up, she took every chance to bash him for no reason at all ("We came back to help you with the Grease musical because you're too stupid to pull it off on your own"). And I suppose, feeling guilty from the last time he lashed out at her behavior, he never defended himself. Blinded with my hatred for Finchel, I hated Finn most of the time (but teacher!Finn was my favorite). I hate to say it, but I almost agreed with Santana's cruel remarks about Finn's intelligence or oafishness strictly due to my irritation with Finchel. You know how most of us hate Blaine because we hate Klaine? Same thing here. Finn was actually a decent, well meaning and dopey character....but I let my hate for Finchel poison my mind against him.

When Cory died, I covered my mouth in horror while reading the headline and began shaking. My first thoughts were: "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it!" because I was pretty hard on Cory for backsliding when it came to his addictions as well as thinking low of Finn as a character. I felt very, very bad and guilty as hell....I hoped Cory never sensed my cynical, negative vibes when that stint in rehab lasted not nearly as long as it should have. Anyway, for Santana to have this moment of: "You were a good human being and I treated you like shit because of my own issues, I'm sorry" moment would be so cathartic and touching on a personal level. Maybe this will even get me to like her a bit more as a character. For as much as I claim to hate her character, my inner monologue can be pretty "mean girl" as well, and I think that's why she pisses me off so much. I love when she has her moments of humanity.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 6:13 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:I do not mind Santana having an important part in the tribute episode at all. In fact, it seems fitting. I'll tell you why in a second.

Also do not mind Rachel not showing up until the end. We don't need to see her bawling in every scene to know that, yes, she is among those most impacted by the death of Finn. Maybe it was just too painful for Lea to allow her face to be plastered all over the episode given the real life loss of Cory? Having her show up at the end is enough, and it drives the point home.

I wonder if others close to him like Kurt, Will, Puck, Carole and Burt (maybe even Marley) will have highlights in the episode as well? I'm going to refrain from being a snarky bitch about this episode though....it's a sensitive issue and I'm sure they are doing their best over there. They cannot win no matter what with certain disgruntled fans from ALL sub-divisions of the general Glee fandom. The show already has enough detractors (because of the LGBT issues) without its own "fans" tearing it apart for their own selfish reasons, even during a moment as crucial as this. It's not about our or their favorite characters getting the spotlight...it's all about Finn and saying goodbye to one of the main characters from the start and one of the most relatable figures of the show, period. We all need to put our differences aside right now...Kurtsies, Blaine stans, Rachel stans, Santana stans, newbie fans, ect.

I actually LOVE that Santana is having a big part of this episode, and it has nothing to do with sleeping together once upon a time. Virginity is overrated. It's about their rocky relationship. Yes, he outed her. But she was awful to him from day one and even AFTER they supposedly made up, she took every chance to bash him for no reason at all ("We came back to help you with the Grease musical because you're too stupid to pull it off on your own"). And I suppose, feeling guilty from the last time he lashed out at her behavior, he never defended himself. Blinded with my hatred for Finchel, I hated Finn most of the time (but teacher!Finn was my favorite). I hate to say it, but I almost agreed with Santana's cruel remarks about Finn's intelligence or oafishness strictly due to my irritation with Finchel. You know how most of us hate Blaine because we hate Klaine? Same thing here. Finn was actually a decent, well meaning and dopey character....but I let my hate for Finchel poison my mind against him.

When Cory died, I covered my mouth in horror while reading the headline and began shaking. My first thoughts were: "I'm so sorry! I didn't mean it!" because I was pretty hard on Cory for backsliding when it came to his addictions as well as thinking low of Finn as a character. I felt very, very bad and guilty as hell....I hoped Cory never sensed my cynical, negative vibes when that stint in rehab lasted not nearly as long as it should have. Anyway, for Santana to have this moment of: "You were a good human being and I treated you like shit because of my own issues, I'm sorry" moment would be so cathartic and touching on a personal level. Maybe this will even get me to like her a bit more as a character. For as much as I claim to hate her character, my inner monologue can be pretty "mean girl" as well, and I think that's why she pisses me off so much. I love when she has her moments of humanity.
banzai banzai 

Wonderful post!
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/23/2013, 6:27 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:You know, I feel kind of weird about them doing "Seasons of Love."  I am a huge "Rent" fan.  I've seen it over 50 times onstage (including with the original Broadway cast), and it really changed my life.  I have been wanting them to do this song since season 1.

And though I think it's a good song choice for the tribute episode, I'm not completely excited about it right now because of the reason behind it.  It just takes on such a different meaning knowing that they are singing it for Cory instead of it just singing it because it's a great song.  

I'm guessing that Amber will be the female soloist, and I'm hoping that either Matt, Kevin, or Chris get the male solo.  I hope that any of the original cast members who wanted to come back for this episode were allowed to be part of the episode.  

This is going to be a tough episode to watch, but I really hope everyone tunes in.  As hard as it will be for us to watch, it is going to be much harder for the cast and crew to film it.  
My RENT soul sister!!! Wink Though, I am a part of the movie generation, and you were a part of the OBC generation...a true RENT-head.

Finally having this song on this show is a dream come true for people like us, but also came at the price of a nightmare. I wish this wasn't happening, but they could not have picked a better song for the tribute episode...especially considering the real life deaths behind the musical RENT...with Jonathan's friends dropping like flies around him and with him dying so unexpectedly. It's more bitter than sweet. And poor, poor Cory. :(

I see strong parallels between Glee and RENT, actually. Not just the death thing, but themes and characters also. This is perhaps why I fell for Glee in the first place when I first saw it...it strongly reminded me of RENT, if there ever were a show to be made about the RENT character in their high school years.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/23/2013, 6:32 pm

I am no expert, but I think a vibrato is something that comes naturally when you're singing in your proper range and not forcing your voice in any way. A vibrato is a sign of vocal comfort. A singer who is straight-toning everything means that they are not experienced singers or vocally comfortable....for instance, season one Cory and Dianna, Rosario Dawson from the movie RENT...you know what I mean? It's the more natural, trained singers like Chris, Lea and Idina who have this impressive vibrato for miles even while belting or sustaining higher notes....this is a sign that they are not forcing and straining their voices in any way and it's impressive.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 8/23/2013, 6:48 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:

I am no expert, but I think a vibrato is something that comes naturally when you're singing in your proper range and not forcing your voice in any way. A vibrato is a sign of vocal comfort. A singer who is straight-toning everything means that they are not experienced singers or vocally comfortable....for instance, season one Cory and Dianna, Rosario Dawson from the movie RENT...you know what I mean? It's the more natural, trained singers like Chris, Lea and Idina who have this impressive vibrato for miles even while belting or sustaining higher notes....this is a sign that they are not forcing and straining their voices in any way and it's impressive.
Just an FYI, Chris has said he didn't have training as singing as a kid because people were waiting for his voice to change. Though I'm guessing that he's probably had some training since joining Glee, he didn't get very much before Glee.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 8/23/2013, 6:52 pm

Totally agree, Heather, that whilst I'll discuss positives and negatives of their decisions, jockeying for the position of our faves is distasteful. It is ok of course to wish to see certain character reaction and catharsis. This is a show after all. But demanding too much specific stuff in these circumstances is really missing the point. I really hope the fandom will manage to show some decorum and heart.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/23/2013, 6:56 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

Just an FYI, Chris has said he didn't have training as singing as a kid because people were waiting for his voice to change.  Though I'm guessing that he's probably had some training since joining Glee, he didn't get very much before Glee.  
Yes, that's right. I forgot. And even in his audition tape at the ripe age of 18 (barely 18, at that) he had that impressive vibrato. He sounded trained even though he wasn't. Such a natural talent.

Some people are just born with a good ear, like that little Connie Talbot. Have you ever heard a six year old child sing on key with perfect pitch, from her diaphragm without forcing her voice, and with a wonderful, natural vibrato?? I didn't think it was possible until I saw this years ago: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QWNoiVrJDsE

Btw, she looks like my cousin. Smile

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/23/2013, 6:58 pm

[quote="Jellyrolls"][quote="MoviesAreLife"]
Just an FYI, Chris has said he didn't have training as singing as a kid because people were waiting for his voice to change.  Though I'm guessing that he's probably had some training since joining Glee, he didn't get very much before Glee.  
Just a little side note, weeks ago I happen to be in Fresno, CA in the Tower District and the Roger Rocka's Dinner Theatre is there, and I was reminded of among others, the great Audra MacDonald and Chris who sang in that company as kids. So to alot of aspiring performers, community theater was as much voice training as they got.

Of course in the case of Audra Macdonald we know she did have tons of voice training, even got in to Julliards.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/23/2013, 8:11 pm

Because this discussion got moved to another thread, some of te contents of this post (that I was making while the discussion was moved, so I lost the most of it while hitting enter and I had to do it all over again, grrrrrrr) may apply more to the snark & bark thread or General Glee discussion thread. But whatever, I don't want to move or rewrite this post again, so be warned in advance. fanny2
-ETA-
And because I (fortunately) copied my post to a Word document in case it got eaten by the internet (which it did) and I copied it back here, somehow the font is different and I can't really fix it. Bummer. dryy 

MoviesAreLife wrote:I am no expert, but I think a vibrato is something that comes naturally when you're singing in your proper range and not forcing your voice in any way. A vibrato is a sign of vocal comfort. A singer who is straight-toning everything means that they are not experienced singers or vocally comfortable....for instance, season one Cory and Dianna, Rosario Dawson from the movie RENT...you know what I mean? It's the more natural, trained singers like Chris, Lea and Idina who have this impressive vibrato for miles even while belting or sustaining higher notes....this is a sign that they are not forcing and straining their voices in any way and it's impressive.
I feel like I have to protest this and explain a bit more, although you're basically right. Call it a matter of me as a professional not wanting to have one of the aspects of the art and craft of singing being misinterpreted. blushh 

Although a vibrato is a sign of a complete relaxed and unstrained voice, it is not true that you have to be (properly) trained to have a vibrato. Chris had his vibrato before he was trained.

What you have to take into consideration is the natural aspect of it. People are born with vibrato or not. And it's not a 'sign' of them being good singers or not (although the 'sound' of a vibrato is being appreciated as being 'beautiful' in a singing voice).
It's simple a genes matter that comes to the foreground when you have a relaxed voice. But it takes much more to be a good singer.

The singing voice, and whether it's beautiful to listen to or not, is made up of two components: 1) your natural voice, and 2) what you do with it. There's a 3rd one, charisma/sincerity, but that is more of an abstract aspect.
The basic voice is a set 'given' thing by nature: vibrato, timbre, height, depth, range etc. There is nothing you can to 'earn' or 'deserve' this. Some people have a natural vibrato, some don't or only very little. Same with all the other things (timbre, range, etc.). Chris did nothing to 'earn' his rich vibrato, while e.g. Darren did nothing that made him have no vibrato at all.

But then comes the training aspect. It's what you do with the voice that nature has given you that makes the difference. If you train your voice you get better, if you don't you don't improve and can even get worse. However: you can tweek and change your voice only so much.
Someone with a rich natural vibrato will enrich it even more by proper breath control and vocal techniques. OTOH if a person with natural vibrato hurts his voice by singing with bad techniques for a longer period of time he will lose the ability to use his vibrato.
And the other way around is true too: if a person with no or little natural vibrato learns some tricks and develops very good singing techniques he can create a certain amount of vibrato, but only so much: it will never be the same as a full natural vibrato. If this person doesn't train his voice he will never develop a vibrato at all.

People blessed with a good voice become very excellent singers if they train their voices properly (like Chris), but people who are not that lucky still can become very decent singers if they train properly.
Natural vibrato rises to the surface when a voice is relaxed, and that's usually when a voice is well-trained. So yes, roughly a vibrato is a sign of a well-trained voice, while the lack of vibrato is usually a sign of underdeveloped or neglected singing techniques.
But what I'm trying to make clear here (and this is a pet peeve of mine) is that a good singing voice depends on both training and natural ability. The one (training) is a component you can work on and be held justifiable responsible for, but the other (natural ability) is just a matter of sheer luck.

Chris is an excellent singer because he trained himself and developed his natural beautiful voice. His voice is very suitable for singing because of his natural vibrato and unusual timbre.
But if he hadn't trained his voice he still would have had a voice with vibrato, but he might have sung off key and/or breathy, and his vibrato would not have come out to shine. He's lucky he got a good voice from mother Nature, but he is to be admired for training that voice.

I get a lot of flack and hate for criticizing Darren's voice, but truth is: I don't mind his voice being limited in range/vibrato etc. at all. Especially not when a large amount of that limitation is caused by a physical defect.
He can't help having the voice he got from mother Nature. He can however still be a pleasant singer to listen to, and he has every right to express himself with that voice, even if it's not a natural strong voice. It's all about accepting and respecting your limitations, and work with the good part of your voice you've got and then flaunt it.
I'm just as sick as everyone else about the Blaine singing overload on Glee, but when Darren sings a song that is in his range and suited for him in several ways, his naturally not strong voice (e.g. lack of vibrato) does not stop me from enjoying that song.
Compare it to a girl wearing shorts or a mini-skirt when she has big thighs or cellulitus on her legs. Why shouldn't she? If she has a good self-esteem and is a confident person, and if she e.g. has taught herself to walk upright with a certain flair she can work that look better than a perfect bodied model (just look at Amber).

For me, as a vocal coach and music lover, the difference lies in how much work a singer puts into honing his craft, how much he works to perfect his voice and especially how good he takes care of his voice.
And that is the thing I don't like about Darren's singing: too often I hear him straining and damaging his voice due to the lack of singing techniques (and really: they have a voice coach on the Glee set that worked miracles with e.g. Chris, Cory and Dianna, so Darren could have gotten better if he had trained properly), plus I don't see him taking good care of his voice.
And even with this knowledge I sometimes pitty him, because Glee gives him songs to sing he can't handle not even if he had trained his voice, which is not primarily his fault. But: proper training would have improved his range and capability to sing a larger selection of those songs they unfortunately chose for him, and for that I can blame him.

And lol, this post got way out of hand.
blushh

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/24/2013, 12:11 am

PopWrapped are saying Rachel will have a solo at the end of the tribute episode and are going to reveal it. :angry: 

I want Rachel to have the solo, but they should not be putting this out there to get hits on their site. :( 

I don't want this episode to be spoiled, because of the fan wank that has already started.

Right now I don't want even the rest of the songs to be spoiled, in case the fans that feel they are entitled don't get what they want.

I just want them to pick the right songs and the right singers.

Why can't they just for once leave this episode alone and not release spoilers?

I am willing to trust the writers at this time, and respect their decisions - until otherwise.

I just want GOBR, eggshllers, and all these spoiler types to keep it to themselves this time.

Let us fans watch this episode without knowing anything about it. 

I don't know if anyone feels the same way about this, but this is how I feel.

If the cast tweet about a song they are doing, then that is fine, they have a right to.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 8/24/2013, 12:23 am

So sad :( 
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Tumblr_ms06xmjUp01ql1znmo1_r1_500
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Tumblr_ms06xmjUp01ql1znmo2_r1_500
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 8/24/2013, 12:26 am

I agree this episode shouldn't be spoiled beforehand... But I also think others episode shouldn't be so overspoiled the way they are either.... I thought Gobr will no longer give so many spoilers this year. I guess I was wrong. Do RIB or who is behind it do not realize that the overspoiling did nothing good to them last year?
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/24/2013, 12:28 am

arina wrote:So sad :( 
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Tumblr_ms06xmjUp01ql1znmo1_r1_500
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 15 - Page 6 Tumblr_ms06xmjUp01ql1znmo2_r1_500
Poor Lea. :(
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 6 of 40 Previous  1 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 23 ... 40  Next