Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3

+32
Piciollina
Porcelainbyfire
Catt24
Vir Cotto
ColferGirl
Ireth
dap1217
Georgette888
MissSoniaPP
bayth
coxfire
tanita_mors
glimmerle
Ranwing
Jellyrolls
ChrisColferFan1
TimF
ColferInspired
sheny
fantastica
Divalicious
Delight
Glorfindel
ladydianab
valkeakuulas
Buenos
arina
brisallie
AnneNeville
MoviesAreLife
ColdFlame96
Lottie2303
36 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3 - Page 21 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3

Post  M&M 7/26/2013, 8:51 am

Ranwing wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:I'm expecting Kurt and Artie solos. If Blaine slaughters the Beatles, I'll be pissed. Evil or Very Mad 

If Blaine sings "Something", I will break something in a profound and violent manner. First, because George was my favorite Beatle and I will despise having any of his songs defiled by the Grease Stain. Secondly, because if I have to hear the Grease Stain singing "I don't need no other lover" after 1) cheating on Kurt and 2) crushing on Sam for months, I cannot promise that projectile vomiting can be avoided. vomir 

I feel the exact same way about "Here comes the Sun" (I want Chris to sing that so bad), "I've just seen a face" and Dear Prudence. Oh, and pretty much any other song in the Beatles catalog. Darren just does not have the voice for it. At all.
M&M
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3 - Page 21 Empty Re: General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3

Post  Glorfindel 7/26/2013, 10:12 am

ColferInspired wrote:I don't know what interview this is, but I had to post it. It is so damn cute. wub

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3 - Page 21 X7xvOqy
Haha, I never saw that. Razz 

I recognized their clothes and the background from this interview, but that gif is not in it, so it must have been a different interview done the same day.

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 7/26/2013, 10:13 am

Chris really seems to do well with the gentle Beatles songs and my particular favorites came in the later years of the Beatles (late 60s early 70s) when their lyrics became really insightful. I would love to hear him sing "Yesterday", which could be a great way for him to deal with (and hopefully put to bed) his conflicted feelings over Blaine. Or "The Long and Winding Road" which can touch on the strange and convoluted journey his life has taken to get him to the point where he's finally happy. And since I'm of the opinion that Kurt has been woefully shortchanged last season with song opportunities "Here Comes the Sun" can be just for fun, and I would love to hear him do a duet with Artie (because I thought they sounded great together when they did "You Can't Stop the Beat). Maybe "Helter Skelter" or "Get Back".

I know that the show won't be able to help giving Blaine at least one solo so I wouldn't mind him singing "She is Leaving" which was my least favorite song on Srgt. Pepper and it would be appropriate for Blaine to suffer through in the aftermath of Kurt firmly rejecting his proposal. Or "Run For Your Life" if he goes into full on stalker mode.

Did I mention that I am an absolutely insane Beatles fan? hiphopa
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/26/2013, 10:40 am

Ranwing wrote:Did I mention that I am an absolutely insane Beatles fan? hiphopa
Whatever made you think we got that idea, lol? Smile

I'm not a major Beatles fan (*gasp*) but I do appreciate their work. Among my favorites are 'Hey Jude', 'Yesterday' and 'Let It Be' (yes, the most famous ones), although I also love some more unknown songs of them.
My absolute favorite song of them is 'In my Life' but that one has already been done on Glee, and in a beautiful way too, imo. ('Blackbird' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' are actually Beatles songs I don't really like, although I love Kurt's renditions of them.)

I would really love it if Chris is allowed to sing in the Beatles tribute, but I refuse to speculate on it, as I don't want to be disappointed.

In defense of Darren (are you reading this loud and clear, lurking Darren fans who love to bash me elsewhere for sometimes criticizing his voice?), I think he would sound just fine on some of the Beatles songs. Certainly not on all of them of course, but there are several Beatles songs that are suited for his 'songwriter/singer' style of voice (and no, I also won't speculate on any of the Beatles songs for Blaine).
Let's wait for the actual songs before judging: I'm sure they will manage to mess some of them up anyway, whether thanks to or regardless of the singers they will assign them to. fanny2

(BTW: shouldn't this be in the spoiler thread? I'm getting confused, lol. unsure )
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 7/26/2013, 10:54 am

Glorfindel wrote:
Ranwing wrote:Did I mention that I am an absolutely insane Beatles fan? hiphopa
Whatever made you think we got that idea, lol? Smile

I'm not a major Beatles fan (*gasp*) but I do appreciate their work. Among my favorites are 'Hey Jude', 'Yesterday' and 'Let It Be' (yes, the most famous ones), although I also love some more unknown songs of them.
My absolute favorite song of them is 'In my Life' but that one has already been done on Glee, and in a beautiful way too, imo. ('Blackbird' and 'I Wanna Hold Your Hand' are actually Beatles songs I don't really like, although I love Kurt's renditions of them.)

I would really love it if Chris is allowed to sing in the Beatles tribute, but I refuse to speculate on it, as I don't want to be disappointed.

In defense of Darren (are you reading this loud and clear, lurking Darren fans who love to bash me elsewhere for sometimes criticizing his voice?), I think he would sound just fine on some of the Beatles songs. Certainly not on all of them of course, but there are several Beatles songs that are suited for his 'songwriter/singer' style of voice (and no, I also won't speculate on any of the Beatles songs for Blaine).
Let's wait for the actual songs before judging: I'm sure they will manage to mess some of them up anyway, whether thanks to or regardless of the singers they will assign them to. fanny2

(BTW: shouldn't this be in the spoiler thread? I'm getting confused, lol. unsure )

How could I forget "Let It Be", that is another song I love. wub 
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 7/26/2013, 11:10 am

ColferInspired wrote:I don't know what interview this is, but I had to post it. It is so damn cute. wub

bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 7/26/2013, 11:36 am

I find that hug so painful now that even though their acting is to perfection it's too sad to think about.

I think that scene was their last one to one scene, but they did have another one at the auditorium before Grease. And that scene hurts me because Chris played the locked, incredibly hurt young man so well that it genuinley makes me cry. The hurt and putting up with the brave face and suprisingly supportive Rachel is so full of angst and pain. But even in that scene Kurt/Finn interaction was so subtle but significant.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 7/26/2013, 12:48 pm

My favorite Beatle's song is Hey Jude. My favorite remake they did is a tie between their version of Twist And Shout and their version of Please Mister Postman. I hope Kurt get's a solo or two. Although, I will be happy if he sings something.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

General Glee Discussion Thread--Part 3 - Page 21 Empty Wicked...

Post  AnneNeville 7/26/2013, 1:43 pm

I saw Wicked for the first time this weekend, and was surprised when I heard Defying Gravity. Did GLEE raise the key for Lea and Chris? Hubby and I were discussing this. I hadn't listened to the OCR--ever. I asked hubby if they'd lowered the key for the woman currently playing Elphaba, and he said that he thought they'd raised it for Chris and Lea.

But . . . if that's the case . . . what is the big deal about hitting the high note? Did they raise the key *just* so Chris would have a note that would be "hard" to hit?

I guess the other possibility is that for some reason the singer (saving her voice for the evening performance) chose not to go for the money notes at the end and sang a modified version.

Wicked was interesting. I expected something a lot more special after it being such a hot ticket for a decade. I think it must have gone downhill. I thought the pacing was slow. The actress playing Glinda seemed to be playing Elle from Legally Blonde, and had a thin voice that really needed the mic's support. Elphaba was better, though not particularly charismatic.

The Fiyero, Derek Klena, was the best--big, clear voice, extremely charismatic, and just electric in terms of dance and movement. It was impossible to look away. I'll be keeping my eyes on him.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 7/26/2013, 1:48 pm

brisallie wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
fantastica wrote:who said there's a beatles episode? did i miss anything?

Ryan did an interview with TvLine and he said the first 2 episodes would be Beatles tributes and the 3rd would likely be a Cory tribute.

As I'm not a big Beatles fan,so probably I'll be watching only episode three.

And I've read the interview of Ryan, and I'm impressed how much influence Lea have in his decisions.

I think there is a chance that is PR, though I'm sure she has some say. They can't shoot if the cast is not ready/functional.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 7/26/2013, 1:49 pm

I'd like to hear Chris sing some Simon and Garfunkel. Maybe that's just me? How about "I Am a Rock"? That would be a great expression of grief and a good character piece.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 7/26/2013, 2:27 pm

AnneNeville wrote:I saw Wicked for the first time this weekend, and was surprised when I heard Defying Gravity. Did GLEE raise the key for Lea and Chris? Hubby and I were discussing this. I hadn't listened to the OCR--ever. I asked hubby if they'd lowered the key for the woman currently playing Elphaba, and he said that he thought they'd raised it for Chris and Lea.

But . . . if that's the case . . . what is the big deal about hitting the high note? Did they raise the key *just* so Chris would have a note that would be "hard" to hit?

I guess the other possibility is that for some reason the singer (saving her voice for the evening performance) chose not to go for the money notes at the end and sang a modified version.

Wicked was interesting. I expected something a lot more special after it being such a hot ticket for a decade. I think it must have gone downhill. I thought the pacing was slow. The actress playing Glinda seemed to be playing Elle from Legally Blonde, and had a thin voice that really needed the mic's support. Elphaba was better, though not particularly charismatic.

The Fiyero, Derek Klena, was the best--big, clear voice, extremely charismatic, and just electric in terms of dance and movement. It was impossible to look away. I'll be keeping my eyes on him.

They raised the key about 1 semitones for Chris and Lea. I figured out after listening to the Idina/Kristen version. Then in the glee version, they made it even higher because they had a key change after the bridge. The original didnt have that.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 7/26/2013, 2:51 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:I saw Wicked for the first time this weekend, and was surprised when I heard Defying Gravity. Did GLEE raise the key for Lea and Chris? Hubby and I were discussing this. I hadn't listened to the OCR--ever. I asked hubby if they'd lowered the key for the woman currently playing Elphaba, and he said that he thought they'd raised it for Chris and Lea.

They raised the key about 1 semitones for Chris and Lea. I figured out after listening to the Idina/Kristen version. Then in the glee version, they made it even higher because they had a key change after the bridge. The original didnt have that.

Wow--so the whole "high note" plot point was . . . manufactured?

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/26/2013, 3:42 pm

^ the whole show is manufactured. tonguue 
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 7/26/2013, 3:43 pm

fantastica wrote:^ the whole show is manufactured. tonguue 

Well, yes . . . but I had assumed that at least the high note that Kurt wasn't supposed to be able to hit was in the song as it was originally orchestrated, not just the Glee version.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/26/2013, 3:53 pm

i think marie said before that the highest note wasn't an F but a G or something. i may have remembered wrong so marie or anybody else can correct me. i really don't know what was going on w/ this whole "defy gravity" thing music wise.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 7/26/2013, 5:02 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:

Wow--so the whole "high note" plot point was . . . manufactured?

Oh shit. I thought you were talking about 'For Good'! :P Sorry. No Defying Cravity was i the correct key. But Kurts full version was more accurate to the original.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/26/2013, 6:00 pm

They used the Idina Menzel album version of DF for Glee, not the musical version (which has different lyrics and Glinda singing as well). The key is the same, but the high notes are more highlighted in the solo version than the musical (which has the added drama of the theatre props of a 'flying' Elphaba).

What's interesting in this is that Glee did indeed raise the key 1 semitone for Chris and Lea, but they also did make the highest note seem higher for them in the Glee's version. Idina sings a F and a Dsharp in the "You don't bring me down" highest notes, whereas Chris and Lea sing a Fsharp and F on that same line. They slightly changed that improv of Idina.
Why? Maybe to make the highest note indeed higher for Chris, but also maybe just because they liked it better that way: Glee loves making their singers sing (too) high, especially the first seasons (just look at the unnecessary key changes of 'For Good').

Last edited by Glorfindel on 7/26/2013, 6:05 pm; edited 3 times in total (Reason for editing : made a mistake)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 7/26/2013, 7:03 pm

Ha! I remember that clip! Smile 

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 7/26/2013, 10:45 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:

Ha! I remember that clip! Smile 

Chris is just so cute and funny. Razz 

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 7/27/2013, 12:41 am

ColferInspired wrote:

AND YOUNG!!!
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 7/27/2013, 1:49 am

bayth wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:

AND YOUNG!!!

True.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 7/27/2013, 9:01 am

fantastica wrote:i think marie said before that the highest note wasn't an F but a G or something. i may have remembered wrong so marie or anybody else can correct me. i really don't know what was going on w/ this whole "defy gravity" thing music wise.

That explains so much. I actually thought the end note was very painful to listen to and nothing about it was dramatic or great. Gave me no reason to actually want to see the musical and I am a major musical fan. Too high notes might be hard to achieve, but in my humble opinion, they are not nice for the ears. By the way, I thought that about Lea's and Chris's voice equally. Overall, Defying Gravity is in my opinion overrated (on Glee and the musical)phr34r .
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 7/27/2013, 1:56 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
fantastica wrote:i think marie said before that the highest note wasn't an F but a G or something. i may have remembered wrong so marie or anybody else can correct me. i really don't know what was going on w/ this whole "defy gravity" thing music wise.

That explains so much. I actually thought the end note was very painful to listen to and nothing about it was dramatic or great. Gave me no reason to actually want to see the musical and I am a major musical fan. Too high notes might be hard to achieve, but in my humble opinion, they are not nice for the ears. By the way, I thought that about Lea's and Chris's voice equally. Overall, Defying Gravity is in my opinion overrated (on Glee and the musical)phr34r .
I agree. I've always been a bigger fan of "The Wizard and I","What is this Feeling", "No Good Deed" and "For Good".
As for Wicked as a musical, it's basically a dramedy and sort of a farce. Half of it is situational comedy and the rest is high emotion. I like it because it's fun and the numbers are very catchy. But it will never be The Phantom. I know ALW is like universally hated, but i stand by my biased opinion that he created the greatest musical that ever was what he scored The Phantom of the Opera. A perfect bland of drama, comedy, romance, terror, mystery,...
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/27/2013, 2:21 pm

i also love phantom's set design. set design is one HUGE reason i go to see live opera/musical/plays.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next