Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread

+20
arina
msjoanlucette
valkeakuulas
Divalicious
Ireth
zuppid
sheny
BlueJazz
Glorfindel
Delight
ColferInspired
M&M
brisallie
ChrisColferFan1
sahhar
fantastica
Ranwing
tamara04
Jellyrolls
tanita_mors
24 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap16%4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 16% 
[ 3 ]
4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap37%4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 37% 
[ 7 ]
4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap26%4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 26% 
[ 5 ]
4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap0%4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_lcap21%4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 I_vote_rcap 21% 
[ 4 ]

Total Votes : 19

4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  ColferInspired 9/29/2012, 1:09 am

Yah, I got a download. 4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 650269930

Can't watch it until my housemate gets home, plus I'm stuck here at the library until he comes so that we can go home. 4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 1688725052

Here is one review I found that I kind of like.

http://www.hitfix.com/monkeys-as-critics/glee-recap-makeover-introduces-sarah-jessica-parker

'Glee' recap: 'Makeover' introduces Sarah Jessica Parker

High school elections and New York fashionistas combine for a light, fun hour

By Geoff Berkshire Friday, Sep 28, 2012 4:30 AM

4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Chris-Colfer-and-Sarah-Jessica-Parker-on-Glee_article_story_main

Chris Colfer and Sarah Jessica Parker strike a pose at Vogue.com on "Glee"

Credit: Fox

I love Ian Brennan's vision for "Glee."

"Makeover," which "Glee" co-creator Brennan wrote and Eric Stoltz directed, wasn't a Very Special episode like last week's "Britney 2.0." There was no musical icon to celebrate or serious social issue to tackle. There was a special guest star in Sarah Jessica Parker, but Brennan knows how to write to that having previously penned Gwyneth Paltrow's debut episode "The Substitute" and Ricky Martin's "The Spanish Teacher."

More importantly, Brennan knows how to keep "Glee" light on its feet. "Makeover" was both the most relaxed and best episode we've seen so far in Season 4. We're still making progress.

This was the first week where the show felt like it had room to breathe while also servicing both sides of its newly split focus. In Ohio, Blaine decided to run against Brittany for student council president, with Sam and Artie as their respective running mates. In New York, Kurt applied for an internship at Vogue.com and found an instant connection with Parker's Isabelle Wright, a stark contrast to the bitter taskmaster Kate Hudson's been playing at NYADA the last two weeks.

Both locations also had a simple secondary subplot -- Mr. Schuester's creative crisis, Rachel's escalating flirtation with Brody -- and left it at that. By "Glee" standards, that's positively restrained. Even better, almost every one of the storylines succeeded as fun (the election), sweet (Isabelle's improbable but delightful mentoring of Kurt) or simply overdue (Schuester realizing he needs more to do). The least successful moments all involved Dean Geyer's unrelentingly poor performance as Brody, but the good news is that he was the only one of the significant new additions to play a major role in the episode.

Once again, I've got to say that Finchel fans are fighting the good fight on the Brody situation. Not because there's no reason Rachel shouldn't at least try dating someone else -- I'd actually love the idea of a credible, truly conflicted college love triangle a la "Felicity" -- but because after three episodes of Brody there's no question the character is an unequivocal dud. What a relief it was to see Finn turn up on Rachel's doorstep at the end. If only for the hope that Lea Michele will soon be back to sharing romantic scenes with someone at her level.

Back to the positives, I appreciated the way Brennan kept drawing connections between success and disappointment through Isabelle's concern that she's not good enough for her job, Will's inability to find inspiration after scoring at Nationals and Blaine's realization that winning the election only meant something if he had Kurt to share it with. Very often, "Glee" is a show about chasing your dreams. And "Makeover" was an episode that very maturely considered how achieving a dream isn't always enough.

But mostly this was an hour that was as playful, witty and charming as "Glee" gets. Even the music selections were looser and more lighthearted than normal. There wasn't a current Top 40 hit anywhere in earshot. The picks only got as contemporary as Hole's "Celebrity Skin" from 1998 and Sheryl Crow's "A Change Will You Do Good" from 1997 -- both released near the end of Brennan's teenage years, which may have lent them a certain sentimental value with the writer.

I liked both of those, plus Blaine's spin on Tears for Fears' '80s anthem "Everybody Wants to Rule the World," but the musical highlight was a boldly old fashioned production number set to a mashup of Jerome Kern's "The Way You Look Tonight" and "You're Never Fully Dressed Without a Smile" from "Annie" (the musical which helped launch Parker's acting career on Broadway). Parker -- who was terrific throughout the entire episode -- collaborated with Michele and Chris Colfer on the highly theatrical rendition, which proved far more memorable and winning than the rushed "How soon can we get this on iTunes?" selections increasingly dominating the show.

So yeah, I wish there were more episodes of "Glee" carrying Brennan's "written by" credit. But I'm almost always happy with the ones we get.

Stray thoughts:

- While I appreciated seeing Jake and Marley reduced to virtually non-speaking extras, I wish Vanessa Lengies actually had a reason for her guest appearance. Maybe the reveal that the show hasn't abandoned last season's random Artie/Sugar romance was enough.

- I'm not even going to touch the "hate watch 'Treme'" joke. I'll just mention that it was there.

- Although this season has already been an improvement for Matthew Morrison over last, "Glee" still has a Schuester problem (there's just less and less for him to do). And it was surprising to see his planned "Mister Monotony" number with Sue cut from the episode. (Fox even posted two promotional stills from the performance on their press site.)

- Add George W. Bush and John Wayne to Sam's list of impressions, "hilarious 100% of the time."
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  ColferInspired 9/29/2012, 1:15 am

The rest of it I won't bother posting but I had to post these parts. Especially the last sentence in the second paragraph. 4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 3429310274 4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 2641883990

http://www.drshebloggo.com/2012/09/the-rbi-report-makeover.html

Kurt's storyline in "Makeover" was so predictable that at no point was I ever really expecting to be surprised, but that's not to say that parts of it weren't well done. It was lovely to see Kurt in an environment that appreciated him, even if it came on a bit quickly. (In the non-Glee-universe, we'd really need to have at least one episode of Kurt at Vogue before becoming invaluable to his boss, but hey. This is Glee universe, where Kurt gets hired in one interview with no experience, has special access to high-security areas, and doesn't get chastised when breaking in to said high-security areas.) The narrative also did the interesting thing by making Kurt's mentor, Isabelle Wright, an express "kindred spirit" to Kurt himself, by giving her an almost-identical backstory. She's from Ohio, considers herself a dreamer, and recently experienced utter failure. Just like Kurt! Sure, on some level you have to wonder if Isabelle Wright is being set up to be the Will Schuester of Vogue.com in her strange ability to be best friends with teenagers. But at the same time, Sarah Jessica Parker is endearing in the role, and her scenes with Chris Colfer have a certain kind of irrepressible charm to them, even with the complete lack of realism. It's like they live in some Cotton Candy World where it's all fashion and dreams and cutesy duets, and to be honest, I'd love to spend the day with them there as well.

Unfortunately, Kurt's acceptance into the fashion world is cramping Blaine's style, and he's starting to feel lost without him. Even though they're having adorably-choreographed Skype sessions while watching TV and eating popcorn (well-staged, Mssrs Brennan and Stoltz), Blaine is beginning to feel disconnected from Kurt. So, he decides to make a change at school. He starts joining (really weird) clubs, and runs for President. Blaine says that last year was the Seniors' time to shine, and this year is his turn, apparently forgetting that he starred in the school musical, co-hosted a televised Christmas special, and sang a sizeable chunk of the Top 40 charts in as series of grand solo spectacles. But hey. Maybe hair gel causes memory loss.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 9/29/2012, 6:31 am

I haven't watched the whole episode yet (I am waiting for subtitles), just few scenes, but I must say that Sam' comment disappointed me... I am not Sam/Kurt shipper (although I liked the idea better than Klaine, they seemed to have better chemistry and Sam is much more interesting character than Blaine imo) but I was hoping for their friendship for long time, well actually I kind of thought there was friendship between them just not shown on the screen... Sam always seemed to treat Kurt nicely, Kurt borrowed Sam his clothes, Sam lived with the Hudmels... I had to accept in the end that the writers unfortunately didn't care about showing any kurt' friendship except for Hummelberry and had to kind of rely on my own imagination... but that comment about Blaine being his first gay bro etc was absolutely unnecesary...

Kur't storyline should have been spread over more episodes I think, everything happened too fast, also, many things weren't exactly realistic. But because it was the best we got lately, I can't complain that much. It was really nice to see Kurt happy, excited and succesful in something... And the song scene with Isabella and Rachel was really lovely, the best in the episode imo wub ... I wish glee would do more of this kind of music...

Last edited by arina on 9/29/2012, 10:09 am; edited 1 time in total
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 9/29/2012, 8:46 am

Ireth wrote:
I remember reading that Chase was supposed to cause trouble between Kurt and Blaine directly or indirectly. It seemed very unlikely based on what little we saw of him today.

I have a feeling that if Chase is going to cause trouble, it won't be as a third person in a love triangle ala Brody.

msjoanlucette wrote:I don't really know what to say about this episode.... I love the Kurt parts. I feel like if I go in depth of what I hated and disliked it would just leave me in a bad mood.

You're right. Sometimes dwelling too much on the negatives can suck out the enjoyment of watching an episode.

I like the Kurt in Vogue and Kurt/Isabelle scenes, even if his story felt a bit too rushed for me to consider it realistic. I'm hoping to see more of Kurt getting embroiled in office politics/jealous work colleagues and having to reveal his claws to defend his position in the company. But given that Glee wouldn't do such a storyline justice (I doubt they would give Kurt so much him-alone screentime that doesn't prop up other characters), I'd settle for him being able to have smooth sailing in his new job from now on. It's most probably a detour anyway, before he returns to his Broadway dreams.

brisallie wrote:
And though I haven't commented the full episode yet, by the moment I'd like to say that I found cheap, well that was the first word that came to my mind, the reason that Sam gave to Blaine to chose him over Kurt. C'mon you're choosing one over other only because you didn't understand what the guy was talking about in such things as Broadway. He loses points with me :(

They've assassinated Sam's character in this episode, firstly by dumbing him down to closer to Brittany's level ('What's a debate?' indeed Rolling Eyes ) so that they can be paired up; and also by having him making these comments about Kurt being too gay to be his bro... for what purpose exactly, I have no idea. Is this the writer's way to justify why Kurt is incapable of having guy friends outside of his bf?

Oh dear, there I go again, concentrating on the negatives. ooppss

I need to acquire the skill to completely ignore the non-Kurt parts of the Glee episodes.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/29/2012, 10:28 am

Was operating on 2 hours sleep yesterday and was reaching the end of my ability to be coherent. Can now finally get my thoughts straight.

This episode made me think a whole lot of thinky thoughts about impressions, where image ends and reality begins and communication (which was likely why I only got 2 hours sleep). A lot of the episode was focused on artifice - appearances over substance. How you appear to the world vs who you are inside.

Rachel is the queen of artifice and always has been. I'm reaching the point where I just don't think the girl really has a core because so much of her ability to value herself hinges upon the opinions of others. Even those that she barely knows and doesn't like. This goes all the way back to the pilot where Quinn's opinions of her were so deeply felt and she spent three years trying to change Quinn's view of her. Now she's in a new environment where others find her lacking (like the bitchy dancers who are so unimportant that they aren't even given names), but Rachel takes their criticism to heart and thus makes herself over so that she "fits in" better.

Her comments to Brody were telling that she is using the superficial changes (hair, clothing, heavy makeup) to guide her internal changes. I had said previously that the new look comes across too much like a costume - Rachel Berry as the sophisticated girl about town - and that appears to be how she sees it. This is a part she's playing. It's not change in her appearance based on new internal cues. Brody the Bland blathers about how the change is supposed to reflect the new girl that she has already become, but we know this is not true. Rachel has donned a new costume and is playing a new part, but it's not sincere or genuine. She's doing it because she likes the feedback that the gets - Brody's clear sexual interest and hopefully a better reception by the other students at NYADA.

I found Blaine's conflicts to be similar to Rachel's as he is also dealing with how he is perceived by others (the super talented, easily relatable, not too gay gay guy) and that all of his relationships and achievements feel hollow to him. He gets everything, but he's depended upon his prickly, not so easily relatable and very gay gay boyfriend to give him substance. Blaine needed Kurt to make him into a real boy and now Kurt is no longer at his side. So he's flailing. He grasps at things that are supposed to give his life at McKinley meaning and finds himself unfulfilled. It breaks my heart that the things that Blaine achieves so easily - the leads and solos and friendships and achievements - that would have meant the world for Kurt mean absolutely nothing to Blaine. I don't think it's an accident that last season, the school election storyline carried out over multiple episodes because it was something of critical importance to Kurt. This season? Rushed through one episode because in the end it really meant nothing to Blaine.

Like Rachel, Blaine sees his value in how he's regarded by others and he's schooled his outward appearance to ensure that he gets the positive feedback. He's just as queer as Kurt, but because he has a few interests more in line to what other guys like (sports, for instance), he easily achieves the relationships that Kurt never could. I was very irritated with Sam's comments about Blaine being a "bro" in the way that Kurt never was, despite the fact that Kurt had come to Sam's aid in such a profound and meaningful way. Sam was responding to the hollow social cues that Blaine was trained to give off and shows that how shallow these claims of "bro-hood" were. And I think that Blaine was perceptive enough to recognize it as such, but is so desperate for someone to link to that he’ll take it at this stage.

Blaine is also showing how very young he is, emotionally, compared to Kurt. The hurt he felt when Kurt didn't immediately answer his phone call regarding his winning the election was a childish one, though no less heartfelt. It was a demand for immediate gratification, that Kurt would instantly be there to fulfill Blaine's needs without consideration that Kurt was possibly dealing with his adult responsibilities (or even that Kurt just might have been in the shower). He wanted/needed Kurt and Kurt was not there for him. He has no real existence outside of Kurt and now is forced into the uncomfortable situation of having to exist without Kurt.

Kurt’s situation is vastly different than Rachel’s or Blaine’s because someone is finally seeing through his artifice and seeing the substance there. The body of outlandish clothing might have been what got Kurt through Vogue’s front door, but it was his creativity, perseverance and both intellectual and emotional intelligence that landed him the job. Unlike Rachel, who couldn’t be bothered to learn who Cassandra July was before Kurt told her, Kurt knew who Isabelle was. He knew her work and her history and was prepared to answer her questions. He was able to list his accomplishments in a positive manner (even if they might not have appeared important on the surface) and showed that he had both the practical experience and the drive to make him a good fit for the job. It was a mature young man’s interview, not the scared boy who was desperate to get into a school that we saw last season.

For the first time in…. ever… Kurt’s talents are not being given empty lip service. This isn’t Will Schuester praising him as a singular talent, but then ignoring him when it’s time for competition performances. This isn’t Carmen Tibideaux lauding his performance as good enough to impress a Tony winner, but rejecting him in favor of the badgering Rachel. Isabelle sees Kurt’s talents, encourages them, and rewards them. She gives him full credit for the idea that will go on to see fulfillment in the official website. She moves him from just pouring coffee to actually participating in meetings because his ideas are worth listening too. Maybe it is moving too quickly, or maybe it’s just that finally Kurt has found a place where he doesn’t have to scream to be noticed.

As far as the issue of Kurt’s Broadway aspirations vs fashion opportunities go, I think that the show is playing a very interesting game here. Chasing dreams has always been a huge part of Glee, as well as dealing with both changing dreams and dealing with dreams not being fulfilled. I think that it’s telling that it is Kurt that they are using to tell this story with – the talented kid who finds that his dreams may be veering off into a direction he hadn’t considered before. But then, they could only tell this story with Kurt. Rachel’s dreams are so shallow, brittle and rigid that they couldn’t possibly explore other avenues with her. Hell, they couldn’t even explore the idea of her taking a slightly different path to fulfilling her ambitions than the one she set out for herself. But because Kurt is talented in so many areas, is far more flexible than Rachel by both nature and necessity, and (I hate this word now that Brad Fulchuck has ruined it), more resilient, Kurt can convincingly tell the story of someone looking at alternate dreams.

Now I don’t expect Broadway to vanish from Kurt’s life completely, and I think that when push comes to shove it will still prove to be his real ambition. You can’t just handwave away something stated for three years in a character’s history. But it will be interesting to see Kurt now struggle with the choice of one career where he knows he will be well rewarded and has a strong chance of success, or one that he still deeply desires but where he will have to struggle more for even the most marginal successes. I’m not particularly worried that Isabelle will try to force Kurt into a career that he doesn’t want because Kurt has always followed his own path. But it is telling that in a world where superficial things are so heavily focused, it’s Kurt’s deep and true substance that sees him through. Unlike Rachel, Kurt has never shied away from a goal just because the road got too rocky for him to handle.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  FunnyLady 9/29/2012, 1:17 pm

[/quote]
I need to acquire the skill to completely ignore the non-Kurt parts of the Glee episodes.
[/quote]

THIS. banzai
I say this to myself after each and every episode! But I am unteachable. I always watch the whole episode, than I get furious and I grumble and I swear to myself that from now on I´ll watch only Kurt scenes. And a week later I watch the whole episode again .....

At least Kurt got much more space in Makeover. His outfits were so brilliant. And his voice...after weeks of waiting finally hear his voice in a new song - AMAZING! I hope I don´t have to wait weeks for another song. I´m happy for Kurt he succeeded in his new job but it was too fast- not for him but for the show. So much success in one episode in the show where every stupid plot is pulverized in several episodes? Somehow I do not think so. I hope they won´t act with Kurt´s character like they did for example with Mike (devote him one or two episodes and the rest of the show he´s in the backroud to hepl Rachel/Blaine shine). But maybe I´m too suspicious.

SJP was great and I love the way she believes in Kurt, but I have to say I saw Carrie rather than Cassandra in her character.
Finn is back - that scene was so predictable Rolling Eyes , "new and hot" Rachel (wearing pounds of makeup on her face) finally finds her confidence Rolling Eyes , Blaine sings a solo Rolling Eyes .......
FunnyLady
FunnyLady
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/29/2012, 1:43 pm

FunnyLady wrote:"new and hot" Rachel (wearing pounds of makeup on her face) finally finds her confidence Rolling Eyes

I don't think that Rachel found confidence at all. A confident person doesn't go looking for approval the way that Rachel does. A confident person wouldn't give a fig about what two bitches in her dance class think about her leotards. A confident person wouldn't be using the nearest "hot" guy to validate herself, or need her best friend to constantly affirm her talents. Rachel is the least confident person in the world (pre-makeover or post).
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 9/29/2012, 1:51 pm

Yeah, that one is as fragile as a baby bird. Interestingly enough, one of the lines Rachel said back in season 1 describes her perfectly " I need applause to live". Without that constant validation and adoration, she as a person is nothing. Old age is not going to be easy for that one.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/29/2012, 2:19 pm

That line from so long ago... "I need applause to live!"... definately makes me think thinky thoughts about who Rachel is as a person and as a performer. I started to believe some time ago that Rachel's dreams of stardom are a direct result of her upbringing and the dreams of her fathers. They picked an aspiring Broadway actress as their serrogate. Rachel was in dance and singing classes and contests from the time she was an infant. The Berrys encouraged and catered Rachel's ambitions to a degree that was scary at times. I kept getting the impression that this was their dream just as much, if not more so, than Rachel's. And if their focus had been on gymnastics, or medicine? I think Rachel's drive in those areas would be just as profoud.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 9/29/2012, 2:50 pm

Delight wrote:
Ireth wrote:
I remember reading that Chase was supposed to cause trouble between Kurt and Blaine directly or indirectly. It seemed very unlikely based on what little we saw of him today.

I have a feeling that if Chase is going to cause trouble, it won't be as a third person in a love triangle ala Brody.

totally agree. I think chase will make trouble like a jealous coworker, being the former "pet" of Isabbel and now his position was taken away by the brand new intern. It must feel awful. I don't see any romantic possibility from this guy at all. he seems rather "cold" so I can totally see him being an ass to Kurt, and trying to get rid of him. I think this will cause Kurt enough headaches to be so overwelmed w/ work that he has no room for blaine's feelings temporarily, thus leading blaine to feel neglected and initiates the breakup. this is not a spoiler, just my guess, but I feel that i am on the right track. neutre
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 9/29/2012, 3:35 pm

Delight wrote:
Ireth wrote:

Agreed. Chase will be jealous of Kurt's Vogue success. He will make trouble for Kurt.
Bring on the snark! fanny2

brisallie wrote:
And though I haven't commented the full episode yet, by the moment I'd like to say that I found cheap, well that was the first word that came to my mind, the reason that Sam gave to Blaine to chose him over Kurt. C'mon you're choosing one over other only because you didn't understand what the guy was talking about in such things as Broadway. He loses points with me :(

They've assassinated Sam's character in this episode, firstly by dumbing him down to closer to Brittany's level ('What's a debate?' indeed Rolling Eyes ) so that they can be paired up; and also by having him making these comments about Kurt being too gay to be his bro... for what purpose exactly, I have no idea. Is this the writer's way to justify why Kurt is incapable of having guy friends outside of his bf?
This was very annoying and it ruined the episode a bit for me (that and Blaine winning the election).

I wrote this about it on Gleeforum:

I like Blaine’s bonding with Sam (I actually like the way they try to make all the ND kids be friends this season so far), but I could have done without the masculine-gay-Blaine-is-a-bro-but-Kurt-is-too-fem-to-bond-with-straight-guys remark from Sam. I can completely understand why Sam said it and why he would bond more easily with Blaine. But the irritating thing to me is that a remark like that is apparently necessary to justify a Blam friendship on the show now, when Kurt was too toxic gay to simply sing with Sam back in the day.

Understand: it’s not about whether Sam is also friends with Kurt, or Kurt not being a bro’ too or (not) wanting male friends, but it’s about the show needing to emphasize that it’s okay for Sam and Blaine to hang out visibly in high school now, without anyone batting an eyelash, or thinking that Sam is gay too, when that has always been impossible for Kurt.
There is no fear of bullying or whispers behind their back for Blam, when that was the main problem why Kurt was so isolated and shut out in season 2, and when that is the sole reason why Kurt has never sung a song with another guy but Blaine. Kurt paving the way for tadpole gays my *ss.

Which brings me to the election. For the same reasons that Blam’s friendship now had to be explained by Sam saying that Blaine is a much easier gay to bond with than Kurt, Blaine had to win the election without the hindrance of the simple fact that he is that other sticking-out-like-a-sore-thumb-with-a-bowtie gay in a heavy picking order environment like McKinley.
To prevent painful comparisons with last year’s election of a gay guy against popular cheerio Brittany, RIB cleverly 1) gave the candidates straight running mates, 2) made Blaine say that the presidency is not a popularity contest (when last year it clearly was), 3) made Sam let Blaine lose the bowties, plus 4) let Blaine win by default by letting Brittany lose the election for wanting to ban summer holidays and weekends (throwing Brittany’s character under the bus in the process again).
Good for Blaine. Now never ever say that Blaine is an underdog again.

After Kurt getting hurt and held back in every way possible for homophobic and effemiphobic reasons in that same high school for 3 years, and Blaine not even have been slushied yet, they now explain that the very obvious difference between the treatment of the only 2 gay kids at McKinley is all about loving Broadway, fashion and Bravo. Sure. I wonder if they will bring up that Blaine actually really likes Broadway too, (and fashion and Bravo), just like Kurt, when they make him apply for NYADA next spring?
Hey, you gotta give RIB that: they know how to wriggle themselves out of a tricky situation and do what they want anyway, established cannon past be damned.
This was all clearly engineered to excuse why Kurt and Sam (or any other guy) never visibly became friends on the show, even when Sam lived (and still lives?) with the Hudmels, and why Kurt faced all the gay problems at McKinley (and beyond) when Blaine never faces any: being masculine and an alpha male is the magic trick. Oh, and boxing.

And before someone replies with “Oh, another Kurtsie being pissed about Blaine easily getting the things that Kurt wanted”: no. I’ve long accepted how the show treats Blaine and Kurt differently. It’s stupid, but whatever: it’s RIB’s decision (and their loss of potential good storylines). It's not about Kurt vs. Blaine.
But I can see the double (effemiphobic) standard on the show and how they try to mask things like that while in the mean time they seem to advocate equality and inclusion for all, and that irritates me to no end (and not the actual things/wins Blaine gets and Kurt not, nor the constant need of the show to compare these two). Pointing these things out on the show seems only fair game to me.
I hope people can see the difference here.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 9/29/2012, 4:30 pm

4x03 "Makeover" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Tumblr_mb19vr3Y2I1r1v397o1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 9/29/2012, 4:33 pm

If Chase is indeed used as something more than background, I see him either being the jealous guy as stated above, or a guy trying to ride on Kurt's success. The reason I say the latter is that if Blaine were to feel uncomfortable about Kurt interacting with someone, it wouldn't be with someone trying to foil Kurt's career. A guy hanging around Kurt, I can see him thinking ulterior motives, and think them romantic, even while they are more job related.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 9/30/2012, 12:44 am

I actually loved this episode.

The thing I saw with the election was to do with the debate when I saw not many within the student body turned up. There were no jocks, no cheerios, no big major event.

By that I am guessing the rest of the student body didn't care about the election, Brittney or Blaine, and also thought it was Sam that won it for Blaine. Going by the debate I don't think many within the student body voted anyway as there were not many students in that audiotorium.

And there weren't that many at the celebration either, there were no cheerios, no big fanfare.

I think the rest of the student are indifferent to Blaine, and don't care about him.

The thing with Kurt the way I see it Kurt is too good for Lima, he is bigger than Lima. That was apparent with the Vogue storyline.

It might have seemed rushed, but I see it like when Chris first auditioned for Glee and Robert Ulrich saw something in him, and that Isabelle saw something in Kurt.

Brody is not good for Rachel, I can see that now.

I liked Will's story.

The Blaine story seemed rushed, and he came off looking whiny and pathetic.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 9/30/2012, 2:02 am

I noticed that per Jacob bin Isreal's blog that 90% of the people wanted to see Brittney say something stupid, so does that mean the Glee club wanted to see Brittney fail, since they were pretty much the only ones to turn up. Just saying.

Brody is a trophy boyfriend for Rachel. All the perfection that she thinks she wants. Someone cute, strong, muscular, involved in the same field, but totally emotionally subservient to Rachel. It would be interesting if they don't make him a bad guy, but make Rachel frustrated that she is involved with someone who only tells her good things. Someone who doesn't make her face her imperfections. We always know when we aren't being the best human beings, and so does Rachel, so what happens when she does something she is not proud of, and finds out that Brody doesn't call her on that. That Finchel reunite not because two kids can't let go of their first (or second) loves, but because the adult in them wants to find that person who will always be honest with them, call them on their shit, support them when they are down, and share their joy even if they don't share the same interests entirely.

Klaine is kind of portrayed like that. Blaine is obviously portrayed as the epitome of gay perfection. His only flaws are his insecurity about Kurt. It would be interesting if they actually explored why Blaine was so insecure. Is it just being youthful, or could it be deep down he doesn't feel equal to Kurt? He has said Kurt is the most interesting kid in town. Perhaps he feels Kurt is now in a big interesting world and finds him dull. Blaine is usually judged on superficial standards, he's cute, he's hot, he's a performer, but how to they feel about Blaine himself? I think Blaine has trusted Kurt to see him, and gives him validation that isn't just about his looks or talent. Now that person who has provided the support that it seems his family hasn't is gone from his daily life. This could add a dimension to Blaine that could be interesting, if he isn't a total ass to Kurt next ep, of course.

So in a way, Kurt and Rachel are in a similar relationship. Their current snugglebunnies (just reading some old Bloom County) are both perfect. Blaine is more well known, and his flaws are starting to show. Brody's have yet to be seen.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 9/30/2012, 6:24 am

ColferInspired wrote:
The thing with Kurt the way I see it Kurt is too good for Lima, he is bigger than Lima. That was apparent with the Vogue storyline.

It might have seemed rushed, but I see it like when Chris first auditioned for Glee and Robert Ulrich saw something in him, and that Isabelle saw something in Kurt.
They directly referred to this in the episode, only not Robert Urich discovering him, but Ryan Murphy.
Kurt said that Isabelle was his "fairy Godmother". When Chris won his Golden Globe he thanked Ryan and called him his "fairy Godfather".

I wouldn't put it past Ryan to have put that line in himself: he loves to stroke his own ego in his shows.
In his new show, The New Normal, one of the gay guys is based on RM himself (RM said that), and that character is also a tv show writer. RM has already let this character say something about causing pools full of teenagers' tears by breaking up couples in the tv show he's writing, and RM has said the same about next week's episode of Glee. Rolling Eyes
Now RM has said that he wants the big star of that fictive character's tv show, Clea, have a romantic fling/interaction with the character RM based on himself.
Eww. vomit2

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 9/30/2012, 10:49 am

Divalicious wrote:It would be interesting if they don't make him a bad guy, but make Rachel frustrated that she is involved with someone who only tells her good things. Someone who doesn't make her face her imperfections. We always know when we aren't being the best human beings, and so does Rachel, so what happens when she does something she is not proud of, and finds out that Brody doesn't call her on that. That Finchel reunite not because two kids can't let go of their first (or second) loves, but because the adult in them wants to find that person who will always be honest with them, call them on their shit, support them when they are down, and share their joy even if they don't share the same interests entirely.

That is a very mature and complex plot to add to the Finchel drama, and should it be executed on the show, would be quite satisfying to watch. Really.

Which means that it most likely won't happen on Glee. I doubt the writers would be that creative.

Methinks that Brody would turn out to be a womanizing douchebag who has a history of preying on insecure, homesick freshmen, and when Rachel finds this out, she'll try to get back together with Finn, but by then Finn would have moved on and would have hooked up with another girl, and cue the next love triangle that Rachel gets embroiled in. *Yawn*

Finchel is endgame, and love rivals and love triangles are merely there to spice things up.

I don't think Brody is big enough a 'breakout' character to warrant him a role as a regular cast member on the show. Not at this point anyway.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 9/30/2012, 11:13 am

Was anyone else a bit disappointed that Sean Gunn (Kirk in the Gilmore Girls) was totally wasted in the show choir commitee?
I had hoped he would be in the Vogue storyline. crycry

But 'we' have got Chase Madison. fanny2

After rewatching: the woman Isabella talked to about Kurt joining the next meeting looked a little pissed at that. Maybe she will be jealous of Kurt, and Chase will be his champion.
(Let me dream, okay?)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 9/30/2012, 11:26 am

Glorfindel wrote:
After rewatching: the woman Isabella talked to about Kurt joining the next meeting looked a little pissed at that. Maybe she will be jealous of Kurt, and Chase will be his champion.
(Let me dream, okay?)

Dream away, it's excatly what I would love to see and that actress playing Isabelle's collegue/assistant was good at that suprised/annoyed look. I can totally see the office wars commencing. Buuut, if they harden Kurt into a one-dimensional bitch fighting for his job then in that case NO. He might again be allowed to show his snarky and cunning side but hopefully not too much. We are all demanding in our own little imagination Glee world.

Oh, the show us fans would create!
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 9/30/2012, 12:46 pm

if the vogue storyline continues, you can bet people will be jealous as hell at kurt's light speed rise to power. and i'm sure we are going to see some backstabbing, probably from chase as well. if it's interesting and well written, i welcome it with open arms.

tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 9/30/2012, 12:57 pm

tanita_mors wrote:if the vogue storyline continues, you can bet people will be jealous as hell at kurt's light speed rise to power. and i'm sure we are going to see some backstabbing, probably from chase as well. if it's interesting and well written, i welcome it with open arms.

...and people being jealous of Kurt getting too much storylines.

valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 9/30/2012, 2:12 pm

@ Marie

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 9/30/2012, 3:27 pm

valkeakuulas wrote:...and people being jealous of Kurt getting too much storylines.
and people complaining that Vogue and fashion "have got nothing to do with Glee" (the show that is supposed to be about show choir). Rolling Eyes
smajli

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Catt24 9/30/2012, 4:31 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
valkeakuulas wrote:...and people being jealous of Kurt getting too much storylines.
and people complaining that Vogue and fashion "have got nothing to do with Glee" (the show that is supposed to be about show choir). Rolling Eyes
smajli

LOL! Music and fashion goes hand in hand (at least since MTV came along in the 80s), so I don't see why Kurt's Vogue.com storyline would be problematic on that score. I have to say that I actually enjoyed this episode (aside from the wretched Sam comment), and LOVED SJP (and I couldn't stand her on SITC). Chris (as usual) was wonderful in the episode, since I saw Kurt's trepidation of the interview, his jubilation of landing the internship, and lucking out with Isabelle as his boss when they were talking about his future. I personally, would love to see Kurt working at Vogue, and doing NYADA, and seeing what career path he ultimately chooses. His storyline holds a lot of interesting possibilities as oppose to the whole "Broadway or bust" storyline that we're subjected with Rachel.

As for Klaine, I don't hate Blaine (just not enamored with him), and I'm at best indifferent to him. But he is really, really young and is dependent/needy when it comes to Kurt. I can't blame Kurt for not picking up the phone that exact moment he called. I know that even when I'm at work, with my supervisor, and my hubby calls, I don't pick up the phone. Even if I'm mingling or being social with my boss, I just don't pick up the phone out of courtesy because I'm not the boss, I'm an underling, and I don't want to be disrespectful. It's just a different code of conduct that I think some people just don't get (or don't want to get because Kurt has to be the "bad guy" since Blaine is the "Teenage Dream"). In general, LDR's and long-term relationships take A LOT of work to maintain. Both partners need to be understanding of the other person's needs. Kurt will need to check in with his partner to see if they're okay & really listen to their need(s). Blaine has this tendency in avoiding problems until it blows up (DWS). Both characters, since it's their first relationship, will need to learn about communication. However, I just want Kurt to primarily focus on his career, and to enjoy himself in NYC. Besides, they're in their teens, and I HATE the concept of being tied to your first love without exploring other possibilities and relationships. Klaine is bordering on this teen couple that I used to watch on General Hospital (Liz & Lucky in the mid 90s), in where they made vows and promises every episode to each other and would barely interact with anyone else--it was like watching a teen suicide pact. Just completely unrealistic and nauseating. So I do hope Klaine are breaking up, so I can enjoy Kurt (and even Blaine) fully again.

Catt24
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 9/30/2012, 5:43 pm

Glorfindel wrote:Now RM has said that he wants the big star of that fictive character's tv show, Clea, have a romantic fling/interaction with the character RM based on himself.
Eww. vomit2
what? he wants the gay guy to have a romantic interlude w/ the female star? does it even make sense? why not call this guy "bi" or something, or is Murphy himself "bi-curious"?

and Marie, I know you would be very disappointed when that Gitmore Girl actor showed up w/o a line (or does he?) in that committee. they should just hire some no-name, no-experience actor-wanna-be to fill that seat. on the other hand, glee has wasted a lot of good actors.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next