Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2

+35
M&M
Struckbycolfer
E-ko
dap1217
msjoanlucette
fountain
sheny
Georgette888
fireangel
kac
mellama
BlueJazz
valkeakuulas
Kurt Hummel
Divalicious
Buenos
Ireth
Esme
happydays
sahhar
tanita_mors
Shinra17
arina
red texta
Jellyrolls
Emile
paulopf
brisallie
Delight
Glorfindel
Heyerchick
ColferInspired
ChrisColferFan1
fantastica
CCfan93
39 posters

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next

Go down

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2

Post  Glorfindel 5/3/2012, 10:31 pm

red texta wrote:
Spoiler:
Poor bb. crycry
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 Empty Re: Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2

Post  Buenos 5/4/2012, 2:33 am

Sorry if this isn't the spot to put this article:

AFterelton article: In defense of the 'immoral' Glee:

http://www.afterelton.com/column/glee-is-not-immoral

Excerpt:

And then there's Kurt.

I never know how much credit to give Glee for Kurt Hummel. Show creator Ryan Murphy has said he wrote the role after Chris Colfer came in and auditioned for the role of Artie, and there's no question in my mind that a lot of the "lightning in a bottle" of Kurt's popularity comes from Colfer rather than the writers or directors he's working with.

But there has never been anything remotely like Kurt Hummel in television history. Oh, there have been characters similar to him – Wilson Cruz's Rickie from My So-Called Life comes to mind – but Kurt isn't just a character. He's a phenomenon.

Harvey Milk once said that the most important thing we as gay people can do is to come out, because people find it much harder to hate us and discriminate against us when they realize that they have a friend or family member who is one of us.

Kurt has become "one of the family" for hundreds of thousands of young people and, as far as I can tell from hanging out on Tumblr, their parents, too. Glee has taken us into Kurt's life, and into his family. We've watched his relationship with his father grow and change, seen him struggle with a creepy unrequited crush, seen him stand up to a student who was bullying him, and we've seen him fall in love.

I don't believe that an army of fan girls who get breathless with the romanticalness of Klaine can change the world, but I do believe that seeing Kurt and Blaine appear right next to Finn and Rachel in polls for "most popular couple" (not to mention often winning them) is more than a surrogate marker of growing equality; I think it helps create it.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/4/2012, 3:22 am

Buenos wrote:Sorry if this isn't the spot to put this article:

Excerpt:

And then there's Kurt.

I never know how much credit to give Glee for Kurt Hummel. Show creator Ryan Murphy has said he wrote the role after Chris Colfer came in and auditioned for the role of Artie, and there's no question in my mind that a lot of the "lightning in a bottle" of Kurt's popularity comes from Colfer rather than the writers or directors he's working with.

But there has never been anything remotely like Kurt Hummel in television history. Oh, there have been characters similar to him – Wilson Cruz's Rickie from My So-Called Life comes to mind – but Kurt isn't just a character. He's a phenomenon.

Harvey Milk once said that the most important thing we as gay people can do is to come out, because people find it much harder to hate us and discriminate against us when they realize that they have a friend or family member who is one of us.

Kurt has become "one of the family" for hundreds of thousands of young people and, as far as I can tell from hanging out on Tumblr, their parents, too. Glee has taken us into Kurt's life, and into his family. We've watched his relationship with his father grow and change, seen him struggle with a creepy unrequited crush, seen him stand up to a student who was bullying him, and we've seen him fall in love.

I don't believe that an army of fan girls who get breathless with the romanticalness of Klaine can change the world, but I do believe that seeing Kurt and Blaine appear right next to Finn and Rachel in polls for "most popular couple" (not to mention often winning them) is more than a surrogate marker of growing equality; I think it helps create it.

That is wonderful to read.

Chris made people fall in love with Kurt, not the writers. It takes real talent to take something off paper and to make a character loved like Kurt is.

He is an important part to the show. Without him the show has no heart, no soul. He is irreplaceable.

Chris is one of a kind, an original. No-one can replace that on Glee.

This character has changed lives, giving hope to many that needed it as has Chris.

Kurt is Glee, just like Rachel.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/4/2012, 6:12 am

I love the whole article!
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/4/2012, 11:11 am

Excerpt:

Truer words have never been said suure

It's indisputable that if Chris Colfer hadn't auditioned for Glee, Kurt Hummel wouldn't have come into existence. And now, it's almost impossible to imagine Glee without Kurt Hummel; and it's impossible to imagine Kurt Hummel being portrayed by anyone other than Chris.

Thanks for posting the article here, Buenos. neutre
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/4/2012, 12:19 pm

That is wonderful to read.

Chris made people fall in love with Kurt, not the writers. It takes real talent to take something off paper and to make a character loved like Kurt is.

He is an important part to the show. Without him the show has no heart, no soul. He is irreplaceable.

Chris is one of a kind, an original. No-one can replace that on Glee.

This character has changed lives, giving hope to many that needed it as has Chris.

Kurt is Glee, just like Rachel

Please don't say more because you're gonna make me cry crycry Is not the last episode yet but I'm already realizing how much I gonna miss this boy in the show because as you have said people loves Kurt because of how Chris has portray him for three years, so this show it not gonna be the same without him, well actually without my Hummelberry Finn. Sorry I'm kinda emotional now and I forgot to say that I liked the article too.

PS: I don't know who to thanks -a mighty power maybe- for that moment Chris get into the room four years ago and Kurt was born Smile Still can't believe he wasn't in the original script!
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/4/2012, 2:56 pm

I have always felt that the casting of Chris Colfer was a turning point in the way they were going to write Glee. Originally there were no gay characters, Rajish was to be in love with Mercedes. I think they would have had more cultural/racial issues. I also think they would have continued on the more "mean girls" route. It would have been the jocks against the dweebs, but the bullying would have remained inconsequential. Sue fits into this world, where violence is funny. I think Glee would have been funnier, but more superficial.

Then along comes Chris, intelligent and brave, although uncomfortable with a campy character. He's seen that on tv, because for the most part, that is all you get. So the writers write in his character, but allow it to be toned down for the young actor. Except when it comes to his clothing, the wardrobe people get all the fun.

Because Kurt does strike a chord with the audience, the writers begin to feel the audience is ready for more LBGT characters, and then they come, Karofsky is gay, we have out and proud Blaine (until they retconned him), Santana is suddenly fulfilling the dreams of those fans who clung to the words Brittnay said in the first season. We have ambisexual Brittnay. We already knew that Rachels fathers were gay from the first episode, and eventually they would show up, and they did with wonderful casting. We even have some challengers to affections in Sebastian and the very brief but cute Chandler.

Because Chris made a difference by embodying and improving the material, all these others storylines become possible. In a less capable actors hands the token gay character (we all know there would be eventually at least one) would most likely be comic relief with the occasional romantic pathos going on.

Rachel is Glee's heart, but Kurt is it's soul. Rachel is the big dreams soaring into the sky part of Glee, where Kurt is the anchor to reality that refuses to give up. Rachel is from the original idea of Glee, where characters are bigger than life, and very dramatic. Kurt is from the evolving idea of Glee, where there are issues, and pain, but still love and support, and the idea that things are never impossible. Either focus would be wearying, but mixed together they really make Glee work despite the unevenness of writing. I think they are both only possible because of the wonderful acting of Chris and Lea, with the supporting triad of Cory, who is subtle and despite Finn being written as douchey a lot of the time, I still care about him.

That is why I am so surprised how many people feel Rachel and Kurt will be sidelined for the Glee club scenes. These two, and their relationships, drive the show. To sideline them would greatly decrease your acting chops. It would still be named Glee, but instead of meaningful TV, the kind where you kind of role your eyes at the PSA's, but still watch because you love the people, it would become nice to watch, nice to listen to, but nothing I would spend my mornings cruising the internet to find any little tidbit about.

Whew, you can tell I've had two cups of coffee today!

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/4/2012, 2:59 pm

^ this!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/4/2012, 3:28 pm

Because Chris made a difference by embodying and improving the material, all these others storylines become possible. In a less capable actors hands the token gay character (we all know there would be eventually at least one) would most likely be comic relief with the occasional romantic pathos going on.

The thing is that Chris Colfer's acting transcends the character being *just* gay. When in " Duets" he seemed so lonely and despairing of ever finding his own mate it struck a chord with people, becuase it wasn't about being straight or gay, it was about being human and the universality of our emotions. It takes a special actor to convey that.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/4/2012, 8:26 pm

Divalicious wrote:I have always felt that the casting of Chris Colfer was a turning point in the way they were going to write Glee. Originally there were no gay characters, Rajish was to be in love with Mercedes. I think they would have had more cultural/racial issues. I also think they would have continued on the more "mean girls" route. It would have been the jocks against the dweebs, but the bullying would have remained inconsequential. Sue fits into this world, where violence is funny. I think Glee would have been funnier, but more superficial.

Then along comes Chris, intelligent and brave, although uncomfortable with a campy character. He's seen that on tv, because for the most part, that is all you get. So the writers write in his character, but allow it to be toned down for the young actor. Except when it comes to his clothing, the wardrobe people get all the fun.

Because Kurt does strike a chord with the audience, the writers begin to feel the audience is ready for more LBGT characters, and then they come, Karofsky is gay, we have out and proud Blaine (until they retconned him), Santana is suddenly fulfilling the dreams of those fans who clung to the words Brittnay said in the first season. We have ambisexual Brittnay. We already knew that Rachels fathers were gay from the first episode, and eventually they would show up, and they did with wonderful casting. We even have some challengers to affections in Sebastian and the very brief but cute Chandler.

Rachel is Glee's heart, but Kurt is it's soul. Rachel is the big dreams soaring into the sky part of Glee, where Kurt is the anchor to reality that refuses to give up. Rachel is from the original idea of Glee, where characters are bigger than life, and very dramatic. Kurt is from the evolving idea of Glee, where there are issues, and pain, but still love and support, and the idea that things are never impossible. Either focus would be wearying, but mixed together they really make Glee work despite the unevenness of writing. I think they are both only possible because of the wonderful acting of Chris and Lea, with the supporting triad of Cory, who is subtle and despite Finn being written as douchey a lot of the time, I still care about him.

That is why I am so surprised how many people feel Rachel and Kurt will be sidelined for the Glee club scenes. These two, and their relationships, drive the show. To sideline them would greatly decrease your acting chops. It would still be named Glee, but instead of meaningful TV, the kind where you kind of role your eyes at the PSA's, but still watch because you love the people, it would become nice to watch, nice to listen to, but nothing I would spend my mornings cruising the internet to find any little tidbit about.

wub Love it. I think you have expressed what a lot of people feel toward Kurt and Chris himself. The paragraph I put in bolded is what most touched my heart because is SO truth. I mean, How do you can leave out the heart and soul of something?

Btw you want me to buy you some cups of coffee? Razz

Last edited by brisallie on 5/4/2012, 9:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 5/4/2012, 8:38 pm

^ For me, Kurt and Burt are the soul and the heart of Glee. Rachel is the ego.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/4/2012, 10:58 pm

Shinra17 wrote:^ For me, Kurt and Burt are the soul and the heart of Glee. Rachel is the ego.

Razz I think Burt is the brains

And Divalicious, that's such a beautiful post! You made me so emotional wub
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/5/2012, 12:14 am

Divalicious wrote:I have always felt that the casting of Chris Colfer was a turning point in the way they were going to write Glee. Originally there were no gay characters, Rajish was to be in love with Mercedes. I think they would have had more cultural/racial issues. I also think they would have continued on the more "mean girls" route. It would have been the jocks against the dweebs, but the bullying would have remained inconsequential. Sue fits into this world, where violence is funny. I think Glee would have been funnier, but more superficial.

Why do you write posts that I agree with? Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 413578547

But I do think Kurt is the heart as well as Rachel.

This show will not work without these two. These journeys are what I want to continue watching and following.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/5/2012, 1:36 am

I cant write better. Might as well just shut up. Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/5/2012, 1:53 am

fantastica wrote:I cant write better. Might as well just shut up. Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 3429310274

Cheeky. Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 3429310274
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/5/2012, 1:59 am

Thought I would put this here as well, as a lot of us come here more than the General Glee Discussion thread.

Hey guys just saw a video with Darren and Chris, not even Darren knows if he is in Season 4. So it looks like even he is expendable.

Also from Chris interview I get the impression things might be coming up for Kurt, I'm thinking maybe Season 4, because we have heard of nothing coming up in the last four episodes.

I know I am getting my hopes up, but maybe Fox are thinking of focussing more on Kurt and Rachel with the extension of some of the other characters and new ones. After the Blaine I saw in 'Choke" I would like to see more of him, but again as a supporting character.

I don't know how to post a video, and I am too lazy to go into the technical thread so here is a link instead:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=VRUm6Bm9UdE

ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/5/2012, 5:04 am

Fingers crossed for the plot for the axed spinoff being the main focus of S4. With Hummelberry Finn watching New Directions via webcam.

But I really feel bad for how they're treating the cast.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 5/5/2012, 5:28 am

Love the video. Can't wait to see what happens in the last four episodes.
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/5/2012, 5:54 am

Nothing to the topic, but I am really unpatiently waiting for the interview where they talked about cats. I wonder when it comes out.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/5/2012, 8:44 am

arina wrote:Nothing to the topic, but I am really unpatiently waiting for the interview where they talked about cats. I wonder when it comes out.

Okay. I don't know what to say that. Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 2176491633

And I feel for the cast as well. This is a bit cruel, a lot of them don't know what is happening. Fox and RIB are playing Russian Roulette with their careers. Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 2 - Page 4 1371890812
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/5/2012, 8:54 am

Thanks, Divalicious, for your wonderful post. You have a way of articulating what most of us think and feel about Chris/Kurt neutre

I'm posting this transcript from the recent Glee Academy event because I find it highly amusing Smile

Darren and Chris on "The First Time"

Darren: It was about a really lovely relationship and a genuine thing between two people. For that reason, and for the guidance, it made it relatively easy. It just felt natural, I think. We're lucky. I can't say that a lot of other people had that as their first on screen "love making scene". I don't know Chris, what do you think man?

Chris: I was scared shitless.

It's funny to see Darren almost waxing lyrical about the filming of the sex scene, only to be contrasted with Chris's crude description of exactly how he felt at the time. I think Chris has yet to grow a romantic bone in his body Razz
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/5/2012, 1:32 pm

Thanks everyone for all the lovely compliments. It's easy to be lyrical when you have such a sweet person to talk about. I would not be as gracious as Chris, with the pressures he is under, every interview I love him more.

I ended up having five cups of coffee yesterday, work was rough, but I've decided never to do that again. I'll stick with the magic two.

I think Chris is a pragmatic romantic, he realizes while on Glee he is really under the microscope, and most relationships would find it hard to survive. When he does finally commit his heart, he will be a loyal and perhaps even a bit of a poet. At heart I think he will always be a writer

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 5/5/2012, 1:58 pm

Coming in a bit late, but you compact everything I have felt Chris is on Glee. Thank You for sharing.

Divalicious wrote:
I think Chris is a pragmatic romantic, he realizes while on Glee he is really under the microscope, and most relationships would find it hard to survive. When he does finally commit his heart, he will be a loyal and perhaps even a bit of a poet. At heart I think he will always be a writer

I always keep thinking that this guy has to be real since no way can a person hold this same kind of smart, intellectual level all the time in interviews, fan meetings and everyday contacts where people keep referring and reporting him as a good guy. He's just so natural and interesting, I can definately see him being more affectionate in personal level, but I agree, no romantic idealist yet... And that another controversy I think a lot of find annoying in him for: he's not anything the general consensus thinks he should be. He's just a real bloke and if he didn't have this incredible charm and wit I would probably find him quite irritating and "manly". I mean sometimes men can be frustrating with their overtly practical way of thinking.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 5/5/2012, 3:12 pm

Damn! Divalicious's amazing post makes me a little bit emotional over here. All the awards to you, Divalicious rooots Thanks for giving us one of the greatest post I've read in this forum aa54

Also, LOVE Chris' response on the sex scene question. He's definitely not a romantic idealist and that's probably why the main character in his first movie script is asexual. I think I love that about him wub Maybe he'll be able to write great love stories one day after more life experiences, who knows? first I wonder what made him scared when they filmed that scene? Is it because it's his first "sex scene" (Actually, I don't think it can be qualified as a sex scene since Klaine are just lying on the bed fully clothed, I don't think anyone will know that Klaine are having sex just by watching that scene dryy ) on screen, or maybe he's playing it with a straight male actor? blinkk

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  CCfan93 5/5/2012, 4:09 pm

Love divalicious's post its amazing.(sorry if i spelled your name wrong kindof feeling sick) and as I kindof always thought that the reason chris would be scared about the "sex scene"(which it really wasnt. I thought he meant the car scene for a second but even that wouldnt count) would be because of the media backlash or the crazyfangirl going insane about it...or maybe he just said that to be funny.
CCfan93
CCfan93
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 40 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22 ... 40  Next