Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

+28
tophercolfer
Divalicious
mindschemez
Sunshine 2012
angelnessa
Delight
Catt24
brisallie
TimF
Ireth
bayth
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Ranwing
M&M
sjonnepon
Vir Cotto
Kurt addict
Glorfindel
Buenos
ChrisColfersLightning
Lottie2303
Georgette888
fantastica
ChrisColferFan1
coxfire
ColferInspired
sheny
32 posters

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next

Go down

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 Empty Re: Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

Post  Buenos 6/23/2015, 2:51 pm

Talent attracts talent.

i suspect more big names will get announced for Noel before it starts filming.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 Empty Re: Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic

Post  angelnessa 6/23/2015, 3:51 pm

As a fan, I'm just proud all over again that Joe and the writer approached Chris first with the Noël biopic wub .
angelnessa
angelnessa
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 6/23/2015, 8:56 pm

British Council Film: Noel (aka Untitled Noel Coward Biopic)

Synopsis: Biopic of Noel Coward the great British icon of wit and sophistication. Exploring his transition from struggling child actor to the world’s most in demand playwright with ‘The Vortex’, his controversial play which scandalised and thrilled critics and audiences alike. Coward’s whip smart dialogue and outrageous characterisation tore up the theatre rule book forever and inspired a new generation of writers and artists.

Year: 2016
Type of film: Features
Director: Joe A. Stephenson
Producer: Mark Birmingham, Joe A. Stephenson, Colin Vaines
Executive Producer: Enfys Dickinson, Andrew Ornitharis, Daniel Pickering
Screenwriter: Martin Sherman
Music: Patrick Wolf
Principal Cast: [b]Chris Colfer, Vanessa Redgrave, Ian McKellan[/b]
Genre: Drama

Jonathan Pryce was not included with the cast in this announcement.  I realized it may not be complete cast but I wonder if he opted out of the movie due to schedule conflicts, I know he is set to film at least one other film this summer. saispa
http://www.empireonline.com/news/story.asp?NID=44462
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 6/24/2015, 6:36 am

that's nothing new. actors go in and out of projects all the time. some changes to the cast are to be expected.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 6/24/2015, 10:29 pm

I'm not shocked, just noticing the change since Jonathan Pryce is one of my favorite actors of all time and i was looking sooo forward to seeing him act alongside Chris.  

He's the "high sparrow" these days in Game of Thrones, what he put Cersei through with her walk of shame, OMG.  

Hopefully Chris will work with him someday.   I'm not going to really complain with Chris still slated to work with 2 other towering giants of the English stage/screen which are Ian McKellen and Vanessa Redgrave.   The directors Joe A. Stephenson said he just booked up another actor (Jonathan Pryce replacement for a role?) and they still haven't announced an actor who most likely will portray his deaf mother (the reason for Noel's very distinct diction even for an Englishman).

Can't believe we are only 5/6 weeks off from the start of production now!!
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 6/26/2015, 12:52 pm

http://www.heyuguys.com/interview-joe-a-stephenson-chicken/

What are you able to say at this stage about your new project ‘Noel’?

We haven’t started filming yet, but we’ve commenced pre-production to give ourselves as much lead time as possible. It’s a completely different beast to Chicken, a different level of filmmaking with its own set of complications. Whether it be talent diaries or complex finance plans, you juggle everything until it all settles in the right place. It’s frustrating because you set a date, then something out of your control sets it back a few months, but those frustrations come with their own upsides: those few months mean you can do more extensive prep work, or suddenly the actor who wasn’t available now is! It’s a very exciting project, and I think a surprising one in terms of what people might expect from a Noel Coward biopic, so I can’t wait to start filming!
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 6/26/2015, 1:17 pm

^Wow, that's some good way to look at it and to prepare for this movie.
Can I get even more excited than I already am? The answer is: yes! panik
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 6/26/2015, 1:33 pm

The vibe I get is that it's not going to be a "Masterpiece Theatre" type of bio pic. ( not that there's anything wrong with that) I love that the Director said in an earlier interview months ago he wanted to stretch Chris as an actor.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 6/26/2015, 2:02 pm

I'm wondering who the actor is they wanted and couldn't get initially, but who's back in now?

I need to know EVERYTHING, and NOW, lol. Smile
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 6/29/2015, 3:08 pm

From Edinburgh
http://www.edfilmfest.org.uk/films/2015/chicken

An impressive feature debut for young British director Joe Stephenson (who is now in pre- production on a much-hyped Noel Coward biopic set to star Ian McKellen and Vanessa Redgrave) about optimistic 15-year-old Richard – troubled with learning difficulties - and his restless and abusive older brother. When Richard falls for 17-year-old Annabel (Yasmin Paige, from Submarine) the relationship between the brothers is stretched to breaking point, family secrets are revealed and life for Richard starts to finally change direction.

I'm good for now that Chris is not mentioned, Razz since once the film starts filming and is released it will be all Chris! Love that in the UK Joe Stephenson is being touted as an up and coming hot new director and there is growing interest in Noel.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 6/29/2015, 9:08 pm

For the British press, it makes sense to hype the really big names attached to the project because 1) they're British and readers will take notice of those names and 2) it lends a great deal of prestige to the project that Joe got these two iconic actors for his film. I think the world of Chris, but he's going to have to prove that he can be more than a tv actor and I'm fine with Sir Ian being name-dropped to hype the film.

The more interest in Noel, the better. And just imagine the surprise of the British film audience when they see this stunning young actor playing Coward and then realizing that he was the actor from that American TV program.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 6/30/2015, 9:37 am

The more I think about it the more astounded I am that Chris, as an American actor only known for a tv series aimed at teens, got the role of Noel Coward, who was as British as they come and is loved so much in his home country (which is usually quite protective of anything British, especially vs. the USA).

Although I think that the producers of the Noel movie also saw 'Struck By Lightning' besides just Glee, hence the idea they got that Chris and Noel have similar creative minds.
Maybe Chris was chosen even more because he showed his diversity as an actor but also his multiple creative talents as a writer and producer with SBL than because of what he did on Glee. Although the epic emotional solo songs he performed on Glee, and his dramatic acting as Kurt overal, must have made an impact as well. 

Anyway.....as I already said: it's amazing the producers of the Noel biopic not only chose, but even offered the part of such an iconic British person to a young American who hasn't really had the chance to prove himself that much besides the first 3 years of Glee and an occasional scene or song in the last 3 years of that show.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 6/30/2015, 4:37 pm

I'm not going to belittle just how much good Glee has done in selling Chris as a serious actor. As bad as the show was, especially in the last three seasons, it still propelled Chris to international attention and his award nominations and wins are taken very, very seriously by the industry. You don't get two Emmy nominations in your first professional acting job without having the industry as a whole sitting up and taking notice.

You take Chris's work from episodes like Grilled Cheezus, Never Been Kissed and The Break Up and you can see what a tremendous, deep, nuanced performer he is. Couple that with his singing ability, which I think is vastly underappreciated (compared to Lea and Darren) and you've got the total package for a project like Noel. If Chris were British, he'd be nearly tailor made for the role.

I'll agree that Chris's writing (both SBL and his books) are showing that he and Noel Coward had a great deal in common, but I hold that his acting and singing ability is what got him the job. That he's got the support of the Coward Estate, who have a vested interest in protecting Noel's image and wouldn't approve of an actor that they didn't think was up to the job, speaks volumes.

Since Glee ended, Chris continues to be highly regarded as an actor (despite the fact that he has had only one small acting project in the interim), and more importantly, he's a serious actor. He's not just throwing himself into parts for attention, but carefully charted out this next phase of his career. I think that any naysayers who are questioning why an American television actor got this oh so British part are going to be very surprised once the film is done.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 7/8/2015, 10:55 am

Per the EW interview:

“I recently got a call from the director [of the Noël Coward biopic] who told me that I was in too good shape to be Noël Coward and I had to stop going to the gym, which is the nicest thing anyone’s ever said to me, ever."

Makes me wonder if NOEL will be portrayed as an outsider  , or perhaps I'm overthinking it and it's simply because the director knows most guys in the Edwardian era were not gym rats.   Razz

I mean, rationally I  could see where it wouldn't fit a 15 year old Noel which is as early as I've read the moive will portray him (up to 25 year old)

On a selfish note I would prefer toned buff Chris in those Edwardian clothes.   phr34r

Last edited by Buenos on 7/8/2015, 11:46 am; edited 1 time in total
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/8/2015, 11:31 am

^I take it Chris' expressive guns do not match a 14-15 year old Noel Coward.  moque
Chris will have to stop twirling his sai swords for a few months. fanny2
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/26/2015, 6:50 pm

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 Tumblr_ns3qmnAVQP1u88r6co1_500

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 Tumblr_ns3qmnAVQP1u88r6co2_500

My guess is that the delay is mostly due to getting certain actors to participate (and I'm so curious to find out which actors will be in the movie besides Chris and Ian McKellen), and/or them expanding the production from the original plan (due to bigger funding perhaps?), like e.g. getting clearance to film at important historical authentic locations.

"...we're not far from that now." That sounds promising. neutre
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/26/2015, 7:21 pm

i am willing to wait for quality (what other choices do we have? tonguue ).
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 7/26/2015, 10:54 pm

Chris has said Noel Coward is sacred in England, so this film needs to be done right. neutre

The more preparation makes for a better movie, as this is the sort of movie that should not be rushed.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 7/27/2015, 3:43 am

http://www.thirty40studios.com/joe-Stephenson

Joe’s debut feature film Chicken (the film adaptation of the stage play of the same name), stars Yasmin Paige (The Double, Submarine), Morgan Watkins (Kingsman: The Secret Service, Wild Bill), and introduces Scott Chambers. Screening at BAFTA in early 2014 the film received high praise and was premiered at the Edinburgh Film Festival to much acclaim. This year, Joe is set to direct a Noël Coward biopic starring Sir Ian McKellen, Stephen Fry, Vanessa Redgrave, Chris Colfer, Jonathan Pryce and Celia Imrie amongst others.

Stephen Fry. banzai
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/27/2015, 5:54 am

Stephen Fry?! That's great news.
He's connected to the Noel Coward Society as Vice President (link). So as one of the official protectors of Noel's legacy he's confident and enthusiastic enough about the production (and Chris of course) to be in the movie himself. neutre

And on a personal note: I always hoped that one day Chris and Stephen would meet and talk, and even work together.

Celia Imrie is also a succesful actress: she was in the Bridget Jones movies, The Best Exotic Marigold Hotel (a very good movie imo, worth watching), Nanny McPhee and Calendar Girls.
Some of her tv work: Upstairs, Downstairs (who remembers that series?), Bergerac, and Virginia Wood. She also did a lot of theatre and won an Olivier Award (a British Tony) for a musical: Acorn Antiques.
(thanks Wikipedia Wink )

So far the names attached to this movie are all very respected and admired in the industry, with each of them having impressive careers. It's really an honor for Chris to be the relative 'newbie' amongst these men and women, and to even portray the main character.
The producers of 'Noel' show a lot of trust and faith in him. neutre
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 7/27/2015, 6:24 am

This movie seems to be getting bigger and bigger.  Smile
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 7/27/2015, 7:22 am

Stephen Fry... YES! I thought something might be up when he took a break from social media.

And Celia Imrie is amazing! So happy with the cast so far!!! hola miamiam bounce
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 7/27/2015, 10:32 am

There's also more information on some of the crew and other people working on 'Noel':

UNTITLED NOEL COWARD BIOPIC - August 10, 2015 

UK; B Good Picture Company Ltd./Metro International, 62A High Rd., London, N2 9PN, UK. Tel: 075-4527-3338; Email: info@bgoodpicturecompany.com. Website: http://www.bgoodpicturecompany.com.

CAST, Chris Colfer, Sir Ian McKellen, Vanessa Redgrave, Jonathan Pryce;
EXEC PROD
, Colin Vaines, Jane Wright, Andrew Ornitharis, Jane Hawley, Enfys Dickinson, Daniel Pickering; 
PROD, Julia Valentine, Mark Birmingham, Joe Stephenson; 
DIR, Joe Stephenson; 
SCR, Martin Sherman; 
LP, Mark Birmingham; 
MUSIC, Patrick Wolf; 
PD, Simon Rogers; 
UPM, Dot Kyle; 
CSTG, Leo Davis; 
FOREIGN, Metro International. 
STORY: The untold story of how a boy called Noel Coward became a legendary playwright, charting his early life and the people that shaped the man and his work. (Posted: May 12, 2015. Revised: June 9, 2015)

-ETA-
mmm, Joe just tweeted that not all info out there is accurate and that we should wait for official confirmation from him.

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 RUdjn5SU_bigger CColferNews@ccolfer_news  1h1 hour ago
@JoeStephenson Hi! Is this info up to date? http://myentertainmentworld.com/mew/film_production_P.2.html …
Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 XAQevTym_bigger Joe Stephenson@JoeStephenson  2h2 hours ago
@colfer_news can you tell me where you got this please? A lot of out of date information and shouldn't be posted.
Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 XAQevTym_biggerJoe Stephenson@JoeStephenson  1h1 hour ago  
@ccolfer_news very much not. I don't know where they are getting this but a lot of people on there that are not involved at all. I
This is about the list of people involved I just posted above.

And there's also this:

Chris to star in Noel Coward biopic - Page 28 Tumblr_ns5e9i5oBk1qg587mo1_1280

It's possible of course that whoever mentioned Stephen Fry first thought he will be acting in the movie, when his only connection could be him being part of the Noel Coward Society.
saispa
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/27/2015, 1:40 pm

As long as Chris is still on board I'm fine with whatever changes they are making.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 7/27/2015, 2:08 pm

The take away I get from this twitter exchange is that Director Joe Stephenson is clearly in charge and the movie is moving towards filming.  

It's natural there is a lot of interest when it will start, but it certainly looks to me that Joe Stephenson doesn't seem worried at all.  

neutre
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 28 of 33 Previous  1 ... 15 ... 27, 28, 29 ... 33  Next