Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread

+23
Ranwing
glimmerle
AnneNeville
bayth
MissSoniaPP
Georgette888
ColdFlame96
Delight
arina
Ireth
brisallie
Divalicious
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
sahhar
sheny
Lottie2303
ColferInspired
tanita_mors
Glorfindel
MoviesAreLife
fantastica
Jellyrolls
27 posters

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next

Go down

The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread

Post  Lottie2303 8/14/2013, 5:54 am

Argh, I want the audio book, like now. Such a shame that they conducted such a poor planning in order to sell it actually right on time. Once again, the European fans have to suffer badday 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread - Page 15 Empty Re: The Land of Stories 2 : The Enchantress Returns Main Thread

Post  Glorfindel 8/14/2013, 8:02 am

valkeakuulas wrote:What I don't get about the audiobook is that they knew how many were sold last year and by the end of spring 2013 and presumably ordered/made at least the same amount. That's what I would do if I'd work at Hachette.

So does it mean that the demand was even greater this year?
Which is nothing but good news. Smile
I hope so. neutre

It could also be that normally audiobooks don't have that high sale numbers, because the person reading the audiobooks is not famous, unlike Chris. Of course they probably realized that when the first audiobook sold well that Chris Colfer's audiobooks require more copies, but still..... there was no guarantee that the 2nd book would be a success also.
I think Chris and his team were anxious about the 2nd book selling well too, because it could well have been that people only bought the first book because they were fans of Glee and curious if 'Kurt' could write. If these people (Glee fans) hadn't liked the first book they would not buy the 2nd book. So I think they were careful with the number of copies (both book and audiobook) being made in the first batch, out of fear of not selling them all.

It's great to see how successful TLoS2 is selling already. Smile
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 8/14/2013, 1:22 pm

I finally got to pick up my book today!
hola 
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/14/2013, 3:46 pm

Glorfindel wrote:^The audiobook has been delayed in Europe, and only gets released on September 23th. I guess there was such a big demand for it that they are selling the first batch mostly in the USA, and/or the European first batch got sold out quickly.
So we'll have to wait for a while. :( 

If you have any trouble with paypal or ebay you can PM me, as I have been using those sites for many years now (for my Fontanini nativity figurines, which can't be bought in the Netherlands).

And if you want a cheap postage for the audiobook and you have trouble buying it in Europe in September, even with the help of ebay and paypal, I can order it for you (free shipping for me at Amazon) and then send it to you from the Netherlands. I can calculate you the costs of shipping beforehand, so you won't be (unpleasantly) surprised.
(This offer also goes for anyone else who has trouble ordering Chris' books and stuff, btw.) neutre
That's so sweet of you, Marie. neutre 

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/14/2013, 5:08 pm

Does anyone know when sales figures will be released?
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/14/2013, 5:11 pm

Not a clue...

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 8/14/2013, 6:44 pm

be patient girl! coool 

i don't care about NYT best seller list. as long as he makes a good income from it, and looks like he did/will.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 8/15/2013, 9:06 am

I cannot believe it, my book came earlier than I expected so I already have it!!!

I've only read like 15 pages so far so I cannot join the discussion yet but I hope soon. I didn't read any spoilers and I am excited to read it. The only thing that bothers me though is the fact Chris's every present said said said still appears... It's one of the noticeable things that could be easily fixed imo so I don't understand why his editor never pointed out to him..

Last edited by arina on 8/15/2013, 11:12 am; edited 2 times in total
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/15/2013, 9:09 am

fantastica wrote:be patient girl! coool 

i don't care about NYT best seller list. as long as he makes a good income from it, and looks like he did/will.
Nope, I want the sales to smash the roof and Chris to be once again a NY Times Bestseller. I am so not patient fanny2 .

I want those idiots of FOX to see what they are missing once again, and Chris to get once again proof that he is doing a damn fine job even outside of the Glee fandom.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/15/2013, 2:16 pm

arina wrote:I cannot believe it, my book came earlier than I expected so I already have it!!!

I've only read like 15 pages so far so I cannot join the discussion yet but I hope soon. I didn't read any spoilers and I am excited to read it. The only thing that bothers me though is the fact Chris's every present said said said still appears... It's one of the noticeable things that could be easily fixed imo so I don't understand why his editor never pointed out to him..
You're right about the "said". However, this book has more description, so it distracts from that and makes it a little less jarring...for me, anyway.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/15/2013, 2:17 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
fantastica wrote:be patient girl! coool 

Nope, I want the sales to smash the roof and Chris to be once again a NY Times Bestseller. I am so not patient fanny2 .

I want those idiots of FOX to see what they are missing once again, and Chris to get once again proof that he is doing a damn fine job even outside of the Glee fandom.
I'm nervous that it won't do as well as the first even though it's a far better book. unsure 

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 8/15/2013, 2:55 pm

Even if it didn't do that well as the first one it surely seems it does very well nonetheless and that what's matter I think.

And I really like even the first one.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/15/2013, 3:30 pm

^Me too. Maybe it's because English is not my first language, but the "said" never really bothered me, save for maybe 2 or 3 paragraphs in the first book. It's much better in the 2nd book, firstly because Chris uses the word less often, and secondly because there is so much else going on, descriptions and action, that the word doesn't even register as "Oh, here he wrote 'said' again".

The second book is definitely better written than the first book, although I like the first book too. It's the emotion and adventure, the storytelling, that is the essence after all, and Chris is a very entertaining and imaginitive storyteller.

And yes, I finished the book. The ending didn't make me cry: it had me more angry than sad, but that's just another emotion to deal with the final event that happens then. (trying not to spoil)
I cried during another scene though...
spoiler:

I love how Chris manages to weave so many different fairytales together in the story, how they all intertwine and influence one another. That was the biggest highlight of the book to me.
I also liked how Alex came into her own (destiny) when she challenged the Enchantress, but that Conner too had a big, crucial role to play in beating her. It was as if both kids found their own strength in that moment, where they differed from one another.

My most favorite chapters were when the twin's grandmother comes to their house and so many magic things happen (like the gnomes and the dog), and 'The Lady of the East', when so much gets explained and comes together.
Another favorite is when Alex meets the 4 girls, not so much because of what happens in that chapter, but because those 4 girls were mentioned in the book. I don't know, it was so wonderful to see them out of the context of their own books and iconic adventures, and it also felt as if Alex became one of them from that moment on. I hope it was a glimpse into the future, when TLoS books have earned their own place among those 'other world' books. hapitgh

Last edited by Glorfindel on 8/15/2013, 3:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/15/2013, 3:37 pm

Why did you feel anger about the ending, Marie? Feel free to answer here with spoiler tags or just switch to the spoiler thread neutre 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/15/2013, 3:56 pm

^It's just a very personal reaction whenever something like that happens.

Spoiler:

It was a very good ending, with a proper twist without it feeling as if the reader was just jerked around for cheap effect or to create a forced open ending. It was logical and bittersweet. So I'm not angry at Chris over this, just angry about the circumstances and maybe as a protection against feeling sad.

Last edited by Glorfindel on 8/15/2013, 4:12 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/15/2013, 4:12 pm

To be honest,
Spoiler:

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/15/2013, 4:15 pm

^Oh, I agree that it was already clear to most readers when she said that line, so it didn't come at such a shock to the readers when it happened, but it wasn't clear for Conner.
So from that moment on I was waiting for Conner to be informed, and when that didn't happen I gradually got angrier on his behalf.

Last edited by Glorfindel on 8/15/2013, 4:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/15/2013, 4:17 pm

I agree about feeling angry on his behalf.
Spoiler:

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/15/2013, 4:20 pm

^Yes, I made that comparison too. :(

Spoiler:

What I love about this is that Chris isn't afraid to let his young readers experience those feelings. He doesn't sugarcoat bad things, although he always provides some comfort or new hope. wub
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/15/2013, 4:34 pm

Good point about Alex,
Spoiler:

He's very matter-of-fact and brave as an author.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/16/2013, 12:06 am

I got my book today. Smile 

I came yesterday when I was out so a card was left in the letter box for me to go to the post office and collect it.

I have only read the prologue and the first chapter. But I am enjoying it already. neutre
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/16/2013, 4:19 am

Marie, I never thought you were angry at Chris, but I was curious about your emotions. I also agree with all your points and it also made me a bit mad, but at the end I was heartbroken. It felt like a very cruel twist crycry 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/16/2013, 6:58 am

^The ending left me heartbroken too. I guess I just go into 'angry'-mode instead of 'sad'-mode at situations like this.
I don't like to cry, I prefer to punch something, lol. blushh

Whatever, the conclusion: Chris has succeeded to provoke emotions with his writing. Smile
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/16/2013, 7:01 am

Glorfindel wrote:^The ending left me heartbroken too. I guess I just go into 'angry'-mode instead of 'sad'-mode at situations like this.
I don't like to cry, I prefer to punch something, lol. blushh
Oh, I totally get the anger. People react differently to certain scenarios and at the end of the day, Chris wanted to the readers to have a strong, emotiional reaction. He succeeded.

Spoiler:
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/16/2013, 8:29 am

Lottie2303 wrote:
Spoiler:
The way Chris explained why Conner could not be warned in time was the saving Grace for me.
It's still lame in a way, because it was clearly a writing device to create a surprise and make the shock and hurt bigger for Conner (and therefore for us, readers) at the end, but at least there was no premeditated cruelness or deliberate action to take the agency away from him by the others.

And what Conner thought at the very end was exactly the right amount of hope to counteract the bittersweet. If there hadn't been anything to look forward to a reunion in the future it would have been downright cruel, and with too much assurance and backpedaling the situation would have not made enough impression and have been pointless/meaningless.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 15 of 19 Previous  1 ... 9 ... 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19  Next