Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9

+37
coxfire
Adamina
bayth
Buenos
Vir Cotto
msjoanlucette
fountain
Ces
ecka
Sani
MoviesAreLife
dap1217
valkeakuulas
crazypumpkin
indiaskye
Piciollina
arina
opals
Catt24
CloveGlee
Delight
tanita_mors
fantastica
Ranwing
Glorfindel
ColferInspired
Ireth
ChrisColferFan1
sahhar
M&M
brisallie
Divalicious
zuppid
Jellyrolls
ColferGirl
MissSoniaPP
sheny
41 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9

Post  sheny 1/28/2013, 5:26 am

So they can make Chris sing a male song in female key just to make it easier for Lea. I don't like that. Maybe they won't if Rachel is the one who loses the diva-off.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 6:48 am

What I don't understand is why they are doing this at all?
If they really want it to be another 'cut-and-paste-together' duet like Hummelberry's DF, DCFMA or Rachel and Mercedes diva-off with 'Out Here On My Own', why pick a song that they know will cause trouble for at least one of them, if not both Lea and Chris, when put in the same key?

Was this a RIB's decision, who understand nothing of how music technics work?
Probably. dryy

I'm still excited, though. If they arrange it right, we might get an epic Kurt song. wub
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 1/28/2013, 7:08 am

The only reason for picking this particular song (where the original key would really be a problem for Rachel) is if the plan is for Rachel to lose this one. The whole premise of the diva off is Kurt trying to knock Rachel off her self-imposed pedestal and if she's bragging that there's nothing that he can sing better than her, Kurt picking this song would be to show that while Rachel is exceptionally talented, she cannot sing everything equally well. It's telling that in all their other duets and diva offs that Kurt was able to match Rachel very well. And except for group numbers, Rachel has almost completed avoided songs by male performers. This set up is clearly to be for Kurt's advantage.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 1/28/2013, 8:27 am

It's really strange choice for them to sing. When there was a spoiler Hummelberry is going to sing duet from Lez Mis, I would never guess they would sing this extremely difficult song that is sung by older man in the musical, it definitely wasn't in my mind at all...Bring Him Home is one of my favorite song in Lez Mis so I hope Glee is going to do it justice. I really hope they let them sing it in the original key or at least like Marie said the key will be somewhere in the middle. But if they are going to sing it in female key, I don't think they are doing it to make Lea singing good and Chris bad. They are proud of his ability to sing high and Kurt was comepeting with Rachel since the start exactly for the reason he is able to sing in the female key... I think they are sort of showing him off but unforunately even if the ability is amazing I don't think he can beat Rachel in this, because she still as a woman (and played by broadway singer) has an advantage, so I would like them to sing it in the key he has an advantage or at least where they have equal conditions.

It's kinda strange the Anders brothers didn't tweet about chris being in the studio lately and he had to be there for the Bring Him Home and the klaine duets.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 9:17 am

^Point is, that if they do the song in a female key, Chris will be a guy, capable of singing a male song in a male key, but singing it in a female key.
It will provoke the same criticism Chris got from the Phantom of the Opera elite fans for singing 'Music of the Night' so much higher (and they were partly right), while Lea won't have the same problem because it's okay for a female to sing a male song in a female key.

Plus I will have to handle and deflect/contradict the comments from the Gleeks on general forums who do not have any knowledge about music technicalities and do not hear that Chris was forced to sing 'Bring Him Home' in a female key and therefore cannot sound or compare at all with any iconic male singer who sang that song before.
But they will compare him with them anyway, and he will come up short because of that, as he would not sing "like a man" or "He lacks the power with his thin voice" and "Why does this babyface thinks he can sing an iconic song for an older man" and that sh*t, not realizing that a female key prevents him from using the most powerful 'masculine' part of his voice (like in 'Being Alive') with only the tender high notes in delicious falsetto.

But enfin..... for now I'm still happy and hopeful it will turn out alright. bubgum
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 1/28/2013, 9:30 am

Glorfindel wrote:^Point is, that if they do the song in a female key, Chris will be a guy, capable of singing a male song in a male key, but singing it in a female key.
It will provoke the same criticism Chris got from the Phantom of the Opera elite fans for singing 'Music of the Night' so much higher (and they were partly right), while Lea won't have the same problem because it's okay for a female to sing a male song in a female key.

Plus I will have to handle and deflect/contradict the comments from the Gleeks on general forums who do not have any knowledge about music technicalities and do not hear that Chris was forced to sing 'Bring Him Home' in a female key and therefore cannot sound or compare at all with any iconic male singer who sang that song before.
But they will compare him with them anyway, and he will come up short because of that, as he would not sing "like a man" or "He lacks the power with his thin voice" and "Why does this babyface thinks he can sing an iconic song for an older man" and that sh*t, not realizing that a female key prevents him from using the most powerful 'masculine' part of his voice (like in 'Being Alive') with only the tender high notes in delicious falsetto.

But enfin..... for now I'm still happy and hopeful it will turn out alright. bubgum
I know. Everything you said is actually one of the reasons I really don't want him to sing it in female key (the other reason is that I really love Chris's lower register and he uses it so little on Glee so if would be shame if they did no use it for actual male song). I am sure that if Kurt sings it in female register, he gets alot of criticism (and I admire you for standing up for him), my point was just that I don't think they are choosing the female key for Kurt's song purposely to make him look bad... I think they are proud he can sing like that and are not aware what negative reactions it can cause.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 1/28/2013, 11:07 am

It might be that Kurt picks the song, but agrees to the key change to make it easier for Rachel. Because she just won't be able to manage the song in the original male key. But Kurt can manage, and manage well with the key that would make it easier on her. That, if anything, will show his range as a singer and a range that easily surpasses her own.

I'm trying not to let my optimism get the better of me since Kurt's been shafted so many times before, but I just don't see how Rachel can win this one.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 1/28/2013, 11:59 am

I think this time Kurt is going to win. I am not sure who I want to win. I have to wait for the performance, let win the one who will sing it better.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 1/28/2013, 12:54 pm

I don't know. I mean, I love Chris' higher register. But his lower register is such a rare treat. I'd really, really love it if they would let him sing this the way it was originally sung. As for Lea singing it in the male key, that wouldn't be fair to Rachel. Kurt is a countertenor, so he has the ability to sing in the female range as well as in the regular tenor range. Rachel, however, is a soprano (I think?) and she doesn't have that ability to sing in the male register. Is there even such a thing as a female tenor? I know there are male sopranos, but what are female tenors called, if they even exist?

Anyway, I was hoping that they would let Chris sing this the original way it was sung in Les Mis, and then Rachel would be singing it an octave higher, much like how she sounded in the West Side Story as Maria. Wouldn't that be grand?! They would both sound like opera singers! Rachel singing soprano and Kurt singing tenor! It would have a beautiful, classical feel to it!

I actually remember Chris saying (in a print interveiw from very long ago, season two or so) that he'd love to try opera style singing someday. I can't tell if he was joking and being sarcastic, or if he was being serious and his usual ambitious self. And after the bait-and-switch the show did with letting Chris sing Phantom of the Opera, but in a female key, I'd love it if they'd let him sing a more classical peice, but let him do it in the male key. Given "Being Alive", I know he could pull it off. This song would show off his vocals, his acting (playing a middle aged man)...everything. It could turn out to be the ultimate Kurt masterpeice. As for Rachel...well, good luck. Smile No, no...I think she's amazing and she blew my mind with her operatic singing in WSS. They should let her sing in the female key though, as it's not fair to force her to sing in the male key. Kurt, however, can do both....but I really, really want him to sing in the male key.

http://www.vulture.com/2009/11/chris_colfer_on_playing_kurt_i.html

Here's the quote: "When did you discover that you had this amazingly high vocal range? Has your voice changed?
I think this is just the way it’s going to be. I’ve definitely made jokes over the years about how my voice has never changed, countless one-liners. But to be honest, I think I might have done it to myself. Right when my voice started changing, I would purposely start singing really high songs every day, constantly. Actually, the Wicked soundtrack is what I would sing along to the most. All of my favorite songs are pretty high and usually sung by women, it turns out. I’d really like to do some opera songs on the show. I’m not really into opera, but I think I could do it if I needed to."

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 1:30 pm

arina wrote:I know. Everything you said is actually one of the reasons I really don't want him to sing it in female key (the other reason is that I really love Chris's lower register and he uses it so little on Glee so if would be shame if they did no use it for actual male song). I am sure that if Kurt sings it in female register, he gets alot of criticism (and I admire you for standing up for him), my point was just that I don't think they are choosing the female key for Kurt's song purposely to make him look bad... I think they are proud he can sing like that and are not aware what negative reactions it can cause.
This. They probably don't realize how this will reflect on his performance if they let him sing it in a female key. They'll just think he can reach the notes and that's that, but there is so much more to a voice and fitting it in a song.
TBH: I don't think they thought of any of this at all, but just saddled the Anders brothers with the problem to make this work. Well, I hope they live up to the task: it is quite a puzzle to solve.

Ranwing wrote:It might be that Kurt picks the song, but agrees to the key change to make it easier for Rachel. Because she just won't be able to manage the song in the original male key. But Kurt can manage, and manage well with the key that would make it easier on her. That, if anything, will show his range as a singer and a range that easily surpasses her own.
I'm sorry to say this (as I would like this on the show as well), but I really don't think RIB+ think this far and deep about something like this. For RIB+ Glee is all about relationship drama, iTunes sales and catfights. Music technical details being incorporated in the show is not their thing. They screwed Will over numerous times and displayed him as an incompetent teacher because they did not pay any attention to music technicalities (like Will wanting Kurt to be Frankenfurter, when that is a role for a bass-baritone).

arina wrote:I think this time Kurt is going to win. I am not sure who I want to win. I have to wait for the performance, let win the one who will sing it better.
RIB+ will let the character win who they want to win, not who necessarily sings the song better. It has happened before that they let someone or ND as a whole win when the other contestant was considered better by the viewers.

Unless they deliberately sabotage or skew a song in favor of the intended winner, like Kurt singing a female song and Blaine a WSS song, or chosing an R&B song instead of Broadway song for the diva-off for Maria in WSS.
But if they intend for Rachel to lose, I really don't think they would screw with Rachel's performance (like e.g. with the key). They just won't do that to their star Lea and special snowflake Rachel. If Rachel loses it will be because of a technicality or a biased judge (Adam?) or something similar, probably some cheap drama reason.
And then the lovely wank will start again in the fandom that Lea is a much better (professional) singer and Chris never was on Broadway, and Kurt should never have won, etc. blahh

MoviesAreLife wrote:I don't know. I mean, I love Chris' higher register. But his lower register is such a rare treat. I'd really, really love it if they would let him sing this the way it was originally sung. As for Lea singing it in the male key, that wouldn't be fair to Rachel. Kurt is a countertenor, so he has the ability to sing in the female range as well as in the regular tenor range. Rachel, however, is a soprano (I think?) and she doesn't have that ability to sing in the male register. Is there even such a thing as a female tenor? I know there are male sopranos, but what are female tenors called, if they even exist?
Rachel is a high mezzo-soprano.
There are females who can sing very low, lower than tenors, and they are called contra-altos. Dot-Marie (Beiste) is a contra-alto.

Anyway, I was hoping that they would let Chris sing this the original way it was sung in Les Mis, and then Rachel would be singing it an octave higher, much like how she sounded in the West Side Story as Maria. Wouldn't that be grand?! They would both sound like opera singers! Rachel singing soprano and Kurt singing tenor! It would have a beautiful, classical feel to it!
Not going to work, I'm afraid. It maybe would sound nice, but it would not be the song as it is supposed to be (just listen to some of Sarah Brightman's songs for that: Music of the Night).
Actually, that would be a great storyline: that Rachel goes for the pretty high notes and showing off her voice, but messes up the emotional meaning of the song because of it. But yeah, just like @Ranwing's idea, this is Glee and they would never go for the music technical option, especially not if that means that Rachel gets criticism on her singing (although that seems perfectly alright to give to Kurt, as per Carmen).
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 1/28/2013, 2:00 pm

I've recently been in my college choir, but I'm not an expert like you are, so thank you for the information! I actually get what you mean...changing the key around too much can lose the meaning of a song. I just hope that, if they make Chris sing it in the female key, it isn't too much of a strain for him (much like how I felt "I Have Nothing" sounded). But I'd still prefer it if they'd let him sing it in the male key. But what are they going to do with Lea if that happens? She can't sing it in the male key. Is there a comfortable middle ground for both of them?

Have a little faith! Remember, RIB have called Kurt, in canon, "just as talented as Rachel"....more than once, I think. fanny2 He only ever "lost" the first Hummelberry diva off because he purposely threw the competition.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 2:09 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:Have a little faith!
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 Tumblr_m5pu6btV3J1r9v49m

unsure tonguue
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 1/28/2013, 2:11 pm

Oops! I forgot! Laughing

I LOVE your reviews of Chris' voice and Kurt's songs, by the way! Are you going to do "Being Alive"?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferGirl 1/28/2013, 3:19 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:I've recently been in my college choir, but I'm not an expert like you are, so thank you for the information! I actually get what you mean...changing the key around too much can lose the meaning of a song. I just hope that, if they make Chris sing it in the female key, it isn't too much of a strain for him (much like how I felt "I Have Nothing" sounded). But I'd still prefer it if they'd let him sing it in the male key. But what are they going to do with Lea if that happens? She can't sing it in the male key. Is there a comfortable middle ground for both of them?

Since their duet is separated into two solos, is it out of the question that Kurt will get to sing it in the male key, and Rachel sing it in the female key, and the song will just flip back and forth between them during the show? Maybe someone already explained and I missed it somehow, but I don't understand why they both have to sing in the same key, either both of them in the female or both in the male or both somewhere in the middle. Can't Kurt sing it as it's originally intended, and Rachel can sing a female version? unsure And then the show can treat them as separate performances flipping back and forth? Or is that somehow too hard for the show to arrange? Wouldn't the instrumentation be the same, they'd just sing it in different keys? <--- is lost

And thinking of them being two solos.....yesterday it didn't really hit me because I was too excited about another Kurt solo, but Bring Him Home is now not a "real" Hummelberry duet. :( I hope we get a real duet between them sometime this season. I can't believe they haven't had just a fun, light-hearted friendship duet yet while living in New York together.....
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 1/28/2013, 3:53 pm

Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 Tumblr_mhcmdf3eMO1qj5p41o1_500
4x14 'I do'

Kurt looks surprised I wonder what they are talking about?

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 1/28/2013, 4:43 pm

sheny wrote:Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 Tumblr_mhcmdf3eMO1qj5p41o1_500
4x14 'I do'

This is how I think the conversation will go Wink

Tina: Kurt, I think I'm in love with Blaine.

Kurt: Woah. Tina, you do know he's gay, right? Remember, he did date me for a year and a half.

Tina: He's just confused. We really connected at the Sadie Hawkins Dance. He even almost kissed me. He is so perfect with those big point eyebrows, his limited but dreamy vocal range, and his expertly gelled hair. He's the love of my life.

Kurt: Tina, trust me. You don't want him. If you think Mr. Schue limits your singing now, it will only get worse if you were with Blaine. Trust me. I know this from experience. You'll be leaving imprints of your ass checks on stools over school.

Tina: But he's so perfect and dreamy and supermegafoxyawsomesmokingblindinglydreamysupercalifragilisticexpialidocioushot.

Kurt: I can't help you with this Tina. Good luck with him. You're going to need it.

Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 1/28/2013, 4:51 pm

I don't know where to post this. It's not a spoiler if we don't count that Chris is in Kurt's suit for the wedding. BTS video with Chris.

Chris Colfer - Glee - 22 Million Likes on Facebook!

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 1/28/2013, 6:08 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:
sheny wrote:Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 Tumblr_mhcmdf3eMO1qj5p41o1_500
4x14 'I do'

This is how I think the conversation will go Wink

Tina: Kurt, I think I'm in love with Blaine.

Kurt: Woah. Tina, you do know he's gay, right? Remember, he did date me for a year and a half.

Tina: He's just confused. We really connected at the Sadie Hawkins Dance. He even almost kissed me. He is so perfect with those big point eyebrows, his limited but dreamy vocal range, and his expertly gelled hair. He's the love of my life.

Kurt: Tina, trust me. You don't want him. If you think Mr. Schue limits your singing now, it will only get worse if you were with Blaine. Trust me. I know this from experience. You'll be leaving imprints of your ass checks on stools over school.

Tina: But he's so perfect and dreamy and supermegafoxyawsomesmokingblindinglydreamysupercalifragilisticexpialidocioushot.

Kurt: I can't help you with this Tina. Good luck with him. You're going to need it.

I would not be surprise,if this or something like this does real happen on the show.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 1/28/2013, 6:09 pm

that's great! please post/move it to hte appreciation thread so we can all appreciate it. Smile thank you!

^ this is regarding chris having 22 million likes on face book.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 6:23 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:Oops! I forgot! Laughing

I LOVE your reviews of Chris' voice and Kurt's songs, by the way! Are you going to do "Being Alive"?
Almost finished. Hopefully at the end of this week. fanny2
All I need is for none of my family to get sick again (all 3 kids + hubby have had the flue: I've run a small hospital the past 3 weeks) and for Chris to stop giving interviews, stop shocking us with hot photoshoots, and stop appearing on red carpets with a guy,.... and then I'll have sufficient time to wrap that review up. tonguue

ColferGirl wrote:Since their duet is separated into two solos, is it out of the question that Kurt will get to sing it in the male key, and Rachel sing it in the female key, and the song will just flip back and forth between them during the show? Maybe someone already explained and I missed it somehow, but I don't understand why they both have to sing in the same key, either both of them in the female or both in the male or both somewhere in the middle. Can't Kurt sing it as it's originally intended, and Rachel can sing a female version? unsure And then the show can treat them as separate performances flipping back and forth? Or is that somehow too hard for the show to arrange? Wouldn't the instrumentation be the same, they'd just sing it in different keys? <--- is lost
The instrumentation would not be the same in different keys.The arrangement would be the same, but the musicians will have to play different notes. It would be time consuming for an orchestra to record the song in 2 different keys, unless they change the key digitally afterwards, but that won't give a good sound end result. Because of the usual time restraint of Glee I doubt they will record the song in 2 different keys.

As for cutting the song up in the episode (going back and forth between Kurt and Rachel) when it is recorded in 2 different keys: that is not possible. It would sound jarring, like one of the versions would be off key (and it actually would be).
It takes a short while for your ears and mind to adapt to a new key. If each singer sings a verse or e.g. 2-4 lines you'd get used to the key of the 1st singer, but then it switches to the 2nd singer (who is singing in a different key) and the 2nd singer will therefore sound off key (in comparison to the 1st singer's key), but after a line or 2 you'll get used to the new key the 2nd singer is singing in, but then it switches back to the first singer again and then that singer will sound off key (in comparison to the 2nd singer's key), untill you get used to the 1st key again, but then..... well, you get it. (hopefully blinkk)
It just doesn't fit. If they want the song to be shown simultaneously on the show (like 'Defying Gravity) they both have to sing in the same key.
I'm curious what they will do with this.

And thinking of them being two solos.....yesterday it didn't really hit me because I was too excited about another Kurt solo, but Bring Him Home is now not a "real" Hummelberry duet. :( I hope we get a real duet between them sometime this season. I can't believe they haven't had just a fun, light-hearted friendship duet yet while living in New York together.....
I want a real Hummelberry duet too. crycry
They are wasting all the good opportunities this show good provide.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 6:24 pm

fantastica wrote:that's great! please post/move it to hte appreciation thread so we can all appreciate it. Smile thank you!

^ this is regarding chris having 22 million likes on face book.
Glee has 22 million likes, not Chris, unfortunately. fanny2
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 1/28/2013, 7:29 pm

You're right, Marie. The key change flipping back and forth on the show would sound rather disjointed to the viewer, wouldn't it? I didn't think of that before. But if they are going to sing together, it's going to have to be in the same key. Drat. I wonder if the solo versions will be different?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/28/2013, 7:41 pm

^I'm really curious how they will solve this. humhum
My choice would be to lower the key just a little bit, 2-4 semitones. This would not influence the song for Chris much if he sings it as a tenor (it would even be a bit easier in the high notes, and make the song 'darker'/ more powerful: like Hugh Jackman did it in the movie), while Lea can reach the highest notes (singing one octave higher) without overstretching too much.

----------------------------------------------------------

Adam's Apples:
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 601330_206486866159508_875007404_n

Oliver is a cutie: wub
Kurt Hummel Spoiler Thread - part 9 - Page 23 148714_206195719521956_808942972_n
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 1/28/2013, 7:43 pm

They look so bohemian! I love it!

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 1/28/2013, 8:30 pm

i love that bohemian look too, but if you go to the greenwich village where NYU is located, you will see a lot of young people who look/dress like them walking around.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next