Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy!

+17
ColferGirl
ChrisColferFan1
Sani
Divalicious
Buenos
ladydianab
brisallie
sahhar
BlueJazz
valkeakuulas
tanita_mors
Jellyrolls
Emile
Delight
fantastica
ColferInspired
arina
21 posters

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next

Go down

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Land of Stories Release Frenzy!

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 1:29 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bbp2K06T1qe476yo2_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bbp2K06T1qe476yo3_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Empty Re: The Land of Stories Release Frenzy!

Post  arina 7/17/2012, 1:49 pm

TIME OUT CHICAGO KIDS: GLEE’S CHRIS COLFER | INTERVIEW
Gleeks know him as Kurt Hummel on Fox’s Glee, but Chris Colfer is more than a SAG- and Golden Globe-winning actor. Today marks the release of his first novel, The Land of Stories: The Wishing Spell, a modern fairytale for aimed at readers ages 8 and up. Colfer—who also wrote the screenplay and will star in the upcoming indie film Struck by Lightening—visits Chicago Thursday 19– Saturday 21 for three book signings to promote the book.

The Land of Stories tells the story of 12-year-old twins who embark on a magical adventure and marathon scavenger hunt in a fairytale world. Looking for an escape after their father’s death, and the twins find it when they fall into their grandmother’s book of fairytales. We recently talked with Colfer about his debut novel and the upcoming season of Glee, which begins on September 13.
You’re best known for your role as Kurt Hummel on Glee, but over ther past few years you also wrote a screenplay and now you’re publishing your first novel. How do you juggle it all?
Oh, I don’t know. I think that’s the biggest mystery to myself. I devote a lot of time to it and luckily for me, I love every minute of it. I’m very, very thankful.

So which is your biggest passion–writing, singing or acting?
You know, it’s all the same to me because it’s all storytelling. Whether I’m in front of the camera, behind the camera, at my computer writing a novel or a screenplay, as long as I get to entertain someone out there, I’m happy. I really, really enjoyed this whole The Land of Stories process so much. I’ve been very fortunate in everything else I’ve ever done—I’ve always had help—but with The Land of Stories it’s completely 100 percent me, and I’ve had to supply the audience with every single word and detail in the story. It’s very, very fulfilling and nerve-racking.

What inspired you to write a children’s book?
It was a promise I made to myself when I was 10. When I was very, very young—like six, seven or eight-years-old—I came up with the story and really, really wanted to write it. The story had worked wonders for me because it was really such an amazing escape. I was in the hospital as a kid; there was a lot of stuff that was going on that was worth escaping. So I really used the story as a sort of therapeutic way to escape all that and decided then that I really wanted to write the book and hopefully get it out to other kids who need an escape, who need to go on an adventure for a few hours in a book. I promised myself then that one day I knew I would [find] an opportunity to write it, and here I am.

Tell us about the story’s two protagonists, Alex and Connor? Do they each have a little piece of you?
I think Alex and Connor are me exactly. They are absolutely me in every sense. They represent kind of the two traits of my personality. Alex is my people pleasing, bookworm, smart good side, and Connor is my sarcastic, funny, doesn’t-give-a-crap side.

You put so many interesting twists on classic characters, like making Red Riding Hood vain and Goldilocks an outlaw. Were those also elements you imagined when you were 10-years-old?
Absolutely. I think when I was younger I so desperately wanted those stories to continue that I thought, “Ok, how would they logically continue?” Goldilocks was easy because sometimes when a person has a troubled past they lead a life of crime, so it was fun to think about what laws she’s breaking in the present day. With Red Riding Hood, I definitely took that for a little bit of a spin and made up this whole revolution with peasants revolting against the country because the wolves were attacking. They put Red Riding Hood on a pedestal and claimed her to be kind of the symbol of their struggle. Naturally, she would become a very vain, selfish person after that. Also, I never thought Red Riding Hood was very bright. Here’s a girl walking through a forest where she knows they are wolves, wearing a bright red jacket, talking to strangers. And when she gets to her grandmother’s house she can’t even recognize a wolf in drag? She’s not the sharpest tool in the shed.

We learn a lot about the villain of the story, the Evil Queen. Why did you decide to tell the her side of the story?
I think it’s a story that’s never been told. We’ve always heard the stories of Cinderella, Snow White and the Evil Queen from the storyteller’s perspective, of how the world saw them and what the world thought of them. Being a part of Glee, I was made out to be this Cinderella story myself, and I agreed with it, but I felt like people thought that for many of the wrong reasons. A lot of people would say to me, “So Chris, you were bullied in high school and now you’re famous, so you’ve had a Cinderella story.” And I’d think, “What? Are you kidding?” Fame is not a solution. I’m a Cinderella story because I was in an unfortunate situation, and now I’m in a place where I get to do what I love. I think all of those elements inspired me to tell the story from her point of view.

Bullying came up several times in the book, and you’ve mentioned you were bullied in high school. How can do you think we can culturally combat the problem?
First of all, let me say, I hate the word bullying. I can’t stand it. I really feel like bullying is a childish world. It’s harassment. It’s physical and emotional abuse. I really wish it were called that.

The best way that I dealt with harassment, bullying, whatever it’s called, was just daydreaming and setting goals for myself and focusing on those goals and making sure I wasn’t going to stop until I’d gotten there. But as far as a solution for kids nowadays, I think part of it lies with the teachers at school and the adults in their lives. When I was in high school, I never would have thought to go to a counselor or a teacher about being bullied because it was all about discipline. They were there to give kids detention and punish them, but I never once thought that they would help me with anything. I feel like a factor in getting control of this situation is making sure adults make themselves available to kids.

There are lots of messages in the book about staying true to yourself and being understanding of others. Are there any others you hope readers take away?

I tried sprinkling as many morals and lessons as I could. But I think the biggest thing I want is for people to walk away feeling fulfilled because they’ve experienced an adventure with these kids.

Will we see any sequels to The Land of Stories in the future?
Yes, I’m writing the second one as we speak. I was really, really excited, of course, for the first one. I almost expected this huge relief to come after I finished it, but now I think I’m so excited for the second one that it completely [creates] that need to write again.

What about a screenplay? Are we going to see The Land of Stories on the big screen?
I don’t know. We’ll see. I really want this book to be a book for a while. I really hate the idea that a book, for it to have its full lifespan, has to be turned into a movie. I would much rather the book be around for the while and there be an established audience who wants to see a movie, rather than a movie just be made and shoved down people’s throat.

The Land of Stories audio book will also be out on July 17. What was that process like?
I recorded the audio book, and it was one of the toughest things I’ve ever had to do because there were 70 different speaking characters. I tried to do a different voice or nuance in my voice for every character. It was rough. I recorded it over two weekends while I was filming Glee, so I had to read 110 pages a day. It was a crazy experience.

The new season of Glee is strats in September. Many viewers were shocked when your character, Kurt, wasn’t accepted to the perfomring arts school NYADA. What’s in store for Kurt this season?
I am still mad about that. I’m upset with that because, I mean personally, it’s like I wore these tight gold pants for nothing.

They were pretty tight.
Oh my god, don’t get me started. I will say for the record that when I was in my trailer or costume department trying on those gold pants, they did not seem that tight in those rooms. But as soon as I got on stage with that lighting, they looked like they were tights.
http://timeoutchicagokids.com/things-to-do/hipsqueak-blog/159486/glees-chris-colfer-heads-to-chicago-for-book-signings-interview
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 7/17/2012, 2:06 pm

I didn't want to quote the whole article above, but he didn't wear the gold pants for nothing. They made tanita_mors very happy.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 7/17/2012, 2:08 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7be4dc05P1qhyhrso2_r1_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7be4dc05P1qhyhrso1_500
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 7/17/2012, 2:18 pm

Very happy indeed. blushh

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m3dh1et7zZ1qfoe0po1_500
(i want more whis)
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 7/17/2012, 2:27 pm

That TimeOut story is so heartfelt and important. Everyone should read it because I feel he's really giving so, so much from himself in here in all of these recent indepth interviews. Which makes me think if these twins are a picture of him and this, still a mystery, YA novel is even more about him I don't know if I can take it.

This goes to the pile of extra emotional posts for me but I'm really overwhelmed by these things rolling in. I feel like his PR team have completely done their job and the tour is just at it's first hours!
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 7/17/2012, 2:38 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:I didn't want to quote the whole article above, but he didn't wear the gold pants for nothing. They made tanita_mors very happy.

Hey, those fancy pants made me super happy, too Razz

Aww, I love the those lovely tweets that Glee casts sent him aa54 aa54

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar 7/17/2012, 3:18 pm

I'm so thrilled and emotional and happy for him today bounce crycry .

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 3:24 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7be4dc05P1qhyhrso9_r1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 7/17/2012, 3:44 pm

ColferInspired wrote:The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7b1dgxNQt1qj8dg6o1_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7b1dgxNQt1qj8dg6o2_500

Ahhh!!! Sorry just I'm fangirl moment. I'm so happy Chris is being supportive by many people today.

ColferInspired wrote:Crazy

So as everyone knows today is the first day Chris Colfer’s book is out. My sister who lives in New Jersey was gonna go to the Ridgewood signing if she didn’t had to work and didn’t have to wait so long. She did go to the store to buy me a couple of books but then she had to go straight to work. Here are the pictures she sent me:

The line to buy a book:

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7b2bxEwbN1qhms06

The line to get a book signed:

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7b2dn4ogY1qhms06

Keep in mind that it’s only 9 am and Chris Colfer begins signing at 7 pm!

blinkk Why is people in the line so early?? I bet to be the first to get his book signed by Chris but I insist WHY SO EARLY? Well my recommendation are simple basic things: a bottle of water (wait not , then you wanna go to the bathroom) a strong sunscreen and a hat.

ColferInspired wrote:These are from MTV.

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7b3esDCQu1qkg0mpo1_250

Always find cute when he show his teeth. Hardly ever he does.

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 7/17/2012, 3:55 pm

^OMG, the pic which he showed his teeth wub wub FLAILS.

A gorgeous TLOS pic:
The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7b6u2crix1rab3tyo1_500

flower flower

This was posted but I just need to quote something:
I personally can’t stand the audiobook because I can’t stand my voice - Chris Colfer

Examiner

HOW COULD YOU SAY SO, CHRIS? YOUR VOICE IS ONE OF THE MOST AMAZING I'VE EVER HEARD crycry crycry

Marie will definitely beg to differ with this statement Razz

From Amazon:
The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bev08god1qhvuz6o1_500

PROUD wub wub

Last edited by BlueJazz on 7/17/2012, 4:01 pm; edited 1 time in total

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 3:57 pm

I can't stand my voice either, but it won't prevent me from talking. Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 7/17/2012, 4:03 pm

This was posted but I just need to quote something:
I personally can’t stand the audiobook because I can’t stand my voice - Chris Colfer

I understand him. Have you ever recorded your voices? I've realized that people tend to dislike their own voice while others tend to like our voices or at least bear it. So probably this's the case, all of us saying CHRIS YOU VOICE IS SO PRETTY but he still don't like it.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 7:08 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7brbz7YQf1qe476yo1_500
The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7brbz7YQf1qe476yo2_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bqr1bz3H1qe476yo1_500

fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 8:04 pm

TLOS audio book is now #10 on itunes audio books ranking.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 11:15 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bziicF661qg49w0o9_500
wow, fans are lining up in Ridgewood NJ. I bet that bookstore never saw so many visiters!!

Inside the bookstore:
The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7by3a2DGU1rqhjijo1_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bziicF661qg49w0o6_400 The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bziicF661qg49w0o5_400

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bziicF661qg49w0o1_500 The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bziicF661qg49w0o12_r1_250
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 11:18 pm

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7bzl10w9l1qggh0ao1_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c0hcrY3u1qgkn1lo1_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c1rggvs51qe476yo1_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c2iz9YFC1qeaa48o1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 11:22 pm

I heard people have already been lining up in front of NYC's B&N for tomorrow night's signing. I think I am going to skip it because I'd rather sit in my air conditioned home reading the book than camping out all night and all day to get a glimps of this lovely young lad. I mean he's not Jesus yet, and I have seen him in person.

Last edited by fantastica on 7/17/2012, 11:27 pm; edited 2 times in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/17/2012, 11:25 pm

more from the ridgewood signing:

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c36kuVJC1ruz115o1_r3_500

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c36kuVJC1ruz115o6_1280

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c36kuVJC1ruz115o7_1280

fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 7/17/2012, 11:52 pm

I am so so proud of Chris. And all these people turning up to buy the book. I am overwhelmed. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 413578547

This is the best month ever. So much good news for him. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 650269930

I have to wait for my book and my audio book. My housemate ordered them both on a bookshop site here in Australia. My book was sent off on the 14th, my audiobook just says on the website ready for shipping. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 357632081

These will be early birthday presents for me. The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 4247136565
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ladydianab 7/17/2012, 11:55 pm

I would love to see and meet Chris but I am with you. AC. It is just too hot to wait in the line. Of course, it isn't even an issue because there's no signing near me. I am happy with the pictures and the tv appearances.
ladydianab
ladydianab
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/18/2012, 12:28 am

Finger crossed for our own Erin (@colfergirl) to make it to one of hte Ohio signings. She is flying all the way there from Utah to get into the event. I hope she will make it. It will be a test of her endurance. Razz lucky that girl's got eternal optimism. good luck to you Erin!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/18/2012, 12:32 am

fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 7/18/2012, 12:35 am

The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c3w09kOO1qg49w0o2_400 The Land of Stories Release Frenzy! - Page 2 Tumblr_m7c3w09kOO1qg49w0o9_400

I love this green shirt look. now if he can only replace that tight pair of jeans w/ camouflaged pants, and a green beret...
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ladydianab 7/18/2012, 12:37 am

That is awesome. Chris' handlers look really burly and mean. They don't show as much in this picture. Wonder who the blonde girl is. Employee? I actually feel sorry for the workers. As a former bookstore employee I know the work that can go into this kind of event. I hope they got to meet him.
ladydianab
ladydianab
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 14 Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8 ... 14  Next