Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

+29
sheny
coxfire
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
opals
Ranwing
Adamina
red texta
Buenos
Struck by Lightning
Divalicious
emilynna
kac
fountain
Glorfindel
fantastica
Catt24
Emile
tanita_mors
Delight
arina
CloveGlee
sahhar
dap1217
ColferInspired
paulopf
brisallie
Jellyrolls
Shinra17
33 posters

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  fantastica 4/28/2012, 3:35 am

i think he WANTS to write his own roles even if there are a lot of other roles for him. writing is one of his passion and I don't think he will stop.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 5 Empty Re: [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  fantastica 4/28/2012, 4:43 am

nothing too new
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/30/2012, 2:49 am

From fan

I had the pleasure of working as part of the Screening Crew for the 2012 TriBeCa Film Festival at the School of Visual Arts Theater in Chelsea, New York. My venue hosted three of the four screening’s of Struck By Lightning. Of the three, I worked two of them in which I met a lot of Struckers and Gleeks but I also met a lot of new/potential fans who didn’t know much about the film, which was quite enjoyable as well. The remaining show of the three, I did attend as a guest and was treated to a phenomenal screenwriting debut by Chris Colfer.

Struck By Lightning tells the story of misfit high schooler Carson Phillips, played by Chris Colfer, who’s only goal in life is to get out of his small town, graduate from Northwestern University, and then go on to have one of the most prestigious and successful journalism careers of all time. Unfortunately for Carson, graduating high school and surviving its trials is ultimately what he needs to focus on before he can begin his future.

As a fan of Chris Colfer’s since the Pilot of Fox’s hit Glee, there was already a good chance I was pre-biased to love the film. I would say I tried to view the movie unbiasedly but that would be a lie. I adore Chris Colfer and find his talent and intelligence refreshing. I will however try to keep this review as unbiased as possible in hopes to give the clearest critique of the film that would benefit all viewers not just Gleeks and Struckers (the name given to fans of the film).

Unfortunately, I did see the last half of the movie, before seeing the first half (due to availability of my schedule during the festival), so I saw the end, then saw the film in its entirety. I don’t think that changes too much of how I viewed it or my opinion of it, as the ending is where the film starts. I also knew almost the entire plot going into the movie as I’ve followed its development closely on Tumblr and Twitter over the past year. So again, this will lead toward a more biased look at the film. I imagine the story might be more interesting and refreshing to someone who has little idea what to expect.

While I don’t expect Struck By Lightning to be the next blockbuster success story, I do feel it delivers a solid story that is worth telling on a larger scale. The depth and development of the characters, particularly the adults and the subsequent storylines are very interesting and well done. The students at Clovis High School are, for the most part, stereotypes (as they are intended to be). Although this is perfect for the story being told, it is not necessarily the most interesting aspect of the film. Due to the stereotypical attributes and behaviors of Carson’s fellow classmates, they become boring and predictable. The adults on the other hand, Carson’s parents and grandmother, are far more interesting and exciting. The film definitely left me wanting more from those characters. I would like to see how they were affected and changed by what happened to him, or to learn if no change took place.

It is quite impressive that Chris Colfer wrote such a captivating story that doesn’t hit all the cliches that a normal teen flick does. The way he captures the overall story and the adults in particular is fantastic. There are many adults who I believe struggle to understand other adults (and adult behavior in general), at a level Chris Colfer does in his writing of the story. It is a testament to his age and intelligence. While the story of Struck By Lightning will appeal to Gleeks (and other teens), I would love for him to write a more adult themed film, that focus mainly on adult issues and characters, just to see what he could create. I imagine it would be both clever and moving (as Struck By Lightning is as well.)

The acting in the film is phenomenal. Chris Colfer delivers an excellent performance but is perhaps overshadowed by scene stealing Rebel Wilson. Rebel Wilson plays Malorie, Carson’s best friend. According to producers of the film, Rebel Wilson was only cast the day before the character of Malorie was to begin filming. I imagine waiting until the night before to cast a character is not the best strategy, however for the cast of Struck By Lightning it turned out for the best. I don’t know who else was considered for the part, but Rebel Wilson is flawless in the role. Of course other acting stand outs include Allison Janney as Carson’s pill popping, alcohol drinking, divorcee mother and Polly Bergen as Carson’s Alzheimer’s riddled grandmother. It was also great to see Adam Kolkin back as a young Chris Colfer Carson Phillips. As a fan of Allie Grant and Carter Jenkins, both were fun to watch supporting cast members.

Outside of the basic premise of Carson blackmailing the students of his high school to better his chance of being accepted to the college of his dreams, the lessons Carson learns and the serious conversations he has with Malorie were quite moving. I saw that Chris Colfer mentioned on Twitter that he hoped that people felt something when they saw the movie, and I think anyone who sees Struck By Lightning will feel something. I don’t expect everyone to feel the same emotions, but if everyone feels something, I would say the movie succeeded in reaching people. I’m 24 years old and still found things to relate to in Carson Phillips. I found parts and lessons of the story useful to my own life. Despite the sarcastic and comedic elements, there is a lot viewers can take away from the story. For one, everyone’s dreams matter and why not try for them even when everyone else laughs at you and tells you you’ll never succeed. The world is an awful place, and the truth is most people will never fulfill their dreams. However, I believe that if you don’t at least try your best to make it happen and do everything in your power, then you have no one to blame but yourself.

I would love to just give the move an A because I did enjoy it, but I feel that would be the biased rating. So I feel the rating below paints a more accurate picture of how Struck By Lightning compares with other films I have rated on this blog.
Sourcehttp://impossiblethings6.tumblr.com/post/22108192940/struck-by-lightning
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Struck by Lightning 4/30/2012, 5:35 pm

My review/thoughts on SBL:

So I just saw Struck by Lightning yesterday. It was amazing IMO, and I think it really it pulled off the ending better than most other teen comedies, which start off funny and accurate but often have me rolling my eyes by the end. Struck by Lightning only becomes more powerful as Carson’s plans unravel and other characters have to examine themselves and their own dreams. Chris was excellent throughout, carrying an entire film as the main character better than I could have imagined. He an Allison were standouts, with Polly Bergen providing very touching moments as well. Rebel Wilson, Christina Hendricks, Dermot Mulroney, and really the whole cast were quite good though. And personally this film really pulled me in and made me think more than most because I connected with so much in it; with writing, college, the future, and the thoughts and feelings of both Chris and Allison’s characters. It’s the kind of thing I’d love to just watch again and again.

And, having said that, I know I’m biased, of course, for a number of reasons, but the entire audience seemed to enjoy it judging by the laughter and applause. My parents also thought it was a great film, saying they really agreed to see it for me in the first place but really enjoyed it themselves. Though my father did notice the Boston Herald line as well. He also said it was like Glee in the beginning (take that with a huge grain of salt; he thought I Am Number Four was like Glee too) but in the end it was quite different (and better) so that it didn’t matter.

The only reservation I have really, more about people seeing it than the film’s quality, is what kind of MPAA rating it would get with the swear words said in it, but I’m hoping that will be okay, and I do think there’s a lot of enthusiasm about it regardless.
Struck by Lightning
Struck by Lightning
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  dap1217 5/1/2012, 2:48 am

Here we go anotehr negative review
http://www.cultureblues.com/2012/04/tribeca-2012-struck-by-lightning/

Spoiler:

After reading so many positive reviews,it's these negative ones make me feel more real about SBL is happening not just my headcanon. fanny2
dap1217
dap1217
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar 5/1/2012, 2:56 am

dap1217 wrote:Here we go anotehr negative review

Spoiler:

After reading so many positive reviews,it's these negative ones make me feel more real about SBL is happening not just my headcanon. fanny2

The critics aren't even giving this a chance are they?, Geez. dryy .

I think I'm just going to stop skimming the reviews. They're just upsetting me with their constant criticism of Chris.

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/1/2012, 3:14 am

sahhar wrote:

Spoiler:

After reading so many positive reviews,it's these negative ones make me feel more real about SBL is happening not just my headcanon. [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 5 1688725052

The critics aren't even giving this a chance are they?, Geez. [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 5 357632081 .

I think I'm just going to stop skimming the reviews. They're just upsetting me with their constant criticism of Chris.

They are just idiots. More of the more important reviewers loved it.

Tribeca loved it.

Comingsoon.net have it as one of the best.

The media are raving about it.

Thing is the audiences, they loved it.

Chris is from Glee and young, and plus they don't want to seperate him from Glee, because they don't want to admit that anyone from that show has any sort of talent.

They had no idea about the message of the film, but others do, and the more people watch it they will get that message.

What none of them say are is that the movie is boring (unless I misread one of them). Even the bad reviews still make the film sound interesting.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/1/2012, 3:31 am

Struck by Lightning wrote:My review/thoughts on SBL:

So I just saw Struck by Lightning yesterday. It was amazing IMO, and I think it really it pulled off the ending better than most other teen comedies, which start off funny and accurate but often have me rolling my eyes by the end. Struck by Lightning only becomes more powerful as Carson’s plans unravel and other characters have to examine themselves and their own dreams. Chris was excellent throughout, carrying an entire film as the main character better than I could have imagined. He an Allison were standouts, with Polly Bergen providing very touching moments as well. Rebel Wilson, Christina Hendricks, Dermot Mulroney, and really the whole cast were quite good though. And personally this film really pulled me in and made me think more than most because I connected with so much in it; with writing, college, the future, and the thoughts and feelings of both Chris and Allison’s characters. It’s the kind of thing I’d love to just watch again and again.

And, having said that, I know I’m biased, of course, for a number of reasons, but the entire audience seemed to enjoy it judging by the laughter and applause. My parents also thought it was a great film, saying they really agreed to see it for me in the first place but really enjoyed it themselves. Though my father did notice the Boston Herald line as well. He also said it was like Glee in the beginning (take that with a huge grain of salt; he thought I Am Number Four was like Glee too) but in the end it was quite different (and better) so that it didn’t matter.

The only reservation I have really, more about people seeing it than the film’s quality, is what kind of MPAA rating it would get with the swear words said in it, but I’m hoping that will be okay, and I do think there’s a lot of enthusiasm about it regardless.

^ Thanks for the review! I think I'll stick to fan reviews from now on and give a wide berth to the negative ones.

As long as a film is entertaining, I will have no regrets watching it.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 5/1/2012, 8:59 am

Spoiler:

I must confess this particular review managed to anger me. I can take justified negative opinions about Chris and his work. My particular problem with this one is that it doesn't just points out weaknesses spotted on Chris' work. Surreptitiously, it attacks Christopher on a personal level. /sigh/ I can't really refute or make any further comment on what the reviewer wrote about Struck By Lightning, since I haven't watched the movie yet, but I can say, according to what I'm reading here, that this person who's complaining about unrealistic undertones in the movie, apparently was expecting the main character to be a perfect little victim who wouldn't hurt a fly. Instead, he was confronted, face first, with a little "needling shit disturber" (as Colfer himself called the character), who bites first and makes questions later. If the bullying in American schools is the large problem I understand it is (fortunately in my country that's not the case yet), I wouldn't be so surprised and offended, as this reviewer seems to be, about people developing such self-preservation mechanisms. One of the elements that intrigue me the most about this movie is, precisely, that while Carson is not your traditional good boy, he still manages, inadvertently and not on purpose, to touch people's lives. I don't know if Colfer meant to say this with his movie, but if after finally seeing it, that's one of the so called messages that sticks to me, the simple notion that lives are interconnected, and anyone can influence, for the better or the worse, others' lives, I'm perfectly okay with it.

I'm sorry, but "boo, reviewer, boo!"
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  dap1217 5/1/2012, 9:24 am

paulopf wrote:I must confess this particular review managed to anger me. I can take justified negative opinions about Chris and his work. My particular problem with this one is that it doesn't just points out weaknesses spotted on Chris' work. Surreptitiously, it attacks Christopher on a personal level. /sigh/ I can't really refute or make any further comment on what the reviewer wrote about Struck By Lightning, since I haven't watched the movie yet, but I can say, according to what I'm reading here, that this person who's complaining about unrealistic undertones in the movie, apparently was expecting the main character to be a perfect little victim who wouldn't hurt a fly. Instead, he was confronted, face first, with a little "needling shit disturber" (as Colfer himself called the character), who bites first and makes questions later. If the bullying in American schools is the large problem I understand it is (fortunately in my country that's not the case yet), I wouldn't be so surprised and offended, as this reviewer seems to be, about people developing such self-preservation mechanisms. One of the elements that intrigue me the most about this movie is, precisely, that while Carson is not your traditional good boy, he still manages, inadvertently and not on purpose, to touch people's lives. I don't know if Colfer meant to say this with his movie, but if after finally seeing it, that's one of the so called messages that sticks to me, the simple notion that lives are interconnected, and anyone can influence, for the better or the worse, others' lives, I'm perfectly okay with it.

This!After reading this review all I can think is bulls*it.But sadly I know there will be many people share this person's opinion about bullying and some so called political correct and forgiven forget crap.
But whatever,I know I will love it and support Chris no matter what.
dap1217
dap1217
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 5/1/2012, 10:09 am

I can't comment much n that review because he has seen the movie and I have not. Three points:

- Chris does indeed know what a jerk his character is. That's got to be one of the reasons why he is struck by lightning.
- Yes, teenagers daydream about their own funerals. That doesn't mean Chris is doing this, because he is not Carson. Chris is playing on that universal teenaged phenomenon.
- I doubt Chris' acting is that bad.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/1/2012, 10:32 am

It surprises me how much that article is attacking not Carson for being an unlikeable jack*ss, but Chris himself. And not because Chris is a bad writer or actor, but because the reviewer thinks Chris shouldn't have written or symphatised with a character like Carson in the first place, let alone allowing/giving him (Carson) a voice and POV.

I smell projection. Rolling Eyes
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 5/1/2012, 1:57 pm

paulopf wrote:boo, reviewer, boo!
Smile
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/1/2012, 3:27 pm

paulopf wrote:I must confess this particular review managed to anger me. I can take justified negative opinions about Chris and his work. My particular problem with this one is that it doesn't just points out weaknesses spotted on Chris' work. Surreptitiously, it attacks Christopher on a personal level. /sigh/ I can't really refute or make any further comment on what the reviewer wrote about Struck By Lightning, since I haven't watched the movie yet, but I can say, according to what I'm reading here, that this person who's complaining about unrealistic undertones in the movie, apparently was expecting the main character to be a perfect little victim who wouldn't hurt a fly. Instead, he was confronted, face first, with a little "needling shit disturber" (as Colfer himself called the character), who bites first and makes questions later. If the bullying in American schools is the large problem I understand it is (fortunately in my country that's not the case yet), I wouldn't be so surprised and offended, as this reviewer seems to be, about people developing such self-preservation mechanisms. One of the elements that intrigue me the most about this movie is, precisely, that while Carson is not your traditional good boy, he still manages, inadvertently and not on purpose, to touch people's lives. I don't know if Colfer meant to say this with his movie, but if after finally seeing it, that's one of the so called messages that sticks to me, the simple notion that lives are interconnected, and anyone can influence, for the better or the worse, others' lives, I'm perfectly okay with it.

Ok I didn't read that review. I don't want to because I already saw the movie and what other people think didn't have anything to do w/ how I perceive it. Here's my 2 cents based on Paulo's post:
SBL is not like your typical glee style bully vs. bullied and "it gets better so suck it up now" kind of film. in a way that's what's so refreshing about it - Carson is never a victim. he bounces every attack back and sort of acts like a counter-bully. He simply doesn't give a rat's ass about what others say or do to him. He's only focused on getting what he wants and that means he is going to use whatever smarts and resources he has to get it. There's no black and white, good vs. evil PSA here. everybody is in a shades of gray, esecially Carson, so it's a much more mature to look at the world.

In terms of non-realistic aspects of hte movie - pretty much all creative work involve somehting unrealistic - "Mission impossible" or even "Forest Gump" - otherwise they would be called documentary. But even though the plot may not be realistic in many ways, the message of the movie, the relationship dynamics between the characters, are totally grounded in realism.

Because this movie is rather unusal, it takes people out of their comfort zone. I seems that reviewers defintiely seem to be split on this, as some relate well to this movie and some just don't know what to think.

ps. based on certain elements of the movie I expect more personal attack on Chris. I admire that he at such young age is pushing out something that may be contravercial but is all about him as a person and an artist, rather than compromising his integrity doing something "safe".
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/1/2012, 3:35 pm

Ok the negative review I *get* what the critic was criticizing. He felt the that movie didn't get far enough in satire and that Chris was not a good enough actor to pull off his own dialogue.

Ironically his synopsis of the film would make me want to see the film regardless, because it is so different from the typical teen film. hehehe...

So I can take negative reviews of the movie but I guess I'll just have to buy a ticket and see the film for myself... moque
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/1/2012, 3:41 pm

I find chris' performance very convincing. But acting is a very subjective thing so whatever this guy think...
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/1/2012, 3:49 pm

yes, negative doesn't bother me as much as agendas and projections in a review. I don't like Mel Gibson all that much but when his film Apokalypto (?) came out, which I personally enjoyed, some of the reviews were so blatantly projecting his perceived racism /antisemitism onto the movie that it annoyed the heck out of me.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/1/2012, 3:52 pm

^ I also liked that movie, and I also don't like Mel Gibson.

I think the person who can benefit the most are the young people - high schoolers in particular. chldren too young (elementary, etc.) won't get it. people whose memory of their college years have faded long ago may also not get the message. but for a lot of people I expect them to find the movie very entertaining. If they can generate enough buzz and interests in the smart way, they can get people to the theater despite some negative reviews. And then word of mouth can apread it further.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/1/2012, 3:55 pm

Yes, the thing is a small *indie* film needs all the help it can get to get into theatres and that is why , love em or hate em, movie reviews can play a crucial role in the initial rollout of such fllms.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/1/2012, 4:01 pm

this is just his first movie. he can make more down the line.

but my gut feeling tells me he would probably never make a movie that will make all the critics happy. first of all some people simply don't like him, and that can project onto their movie review. secondly chris is not your usual run-of-the-mill entertainer. he's different as a youngster and he will continue to be different as an adult. that will influence in the kinds of film he likes to make and how he will write it.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 5/1/2012, 4:07 pm

fantastica wrote:this is just his first movie. he can make more down the line.

but my gut feeling tells me he would probably never make a movie that will make all the critics happy. first of all some people simply don't like him, and that can project onto their movie review. secondly chris is not your usual run-of-the-mill entertainer. he's different as a youngster and he will continue to be different as an adult. that will influence in the kinds of film he likes to make and how he will write it.

The term "polarizing" is overused but sometimes it does apply. People forget it now, but for years alot of folks were divided on Johnny Depp's "acting choices" and why he always chose *weird* roles, etc.

Chris Colfer isn't afraid to play unattractive or nonsympathetic characters apparently...good for him. Much more interesting to be a good character actor then a cookie cutter leading man whose appeal fades with their looks...
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/1/2012, 6:01 pm

Buenos wrote:The term "polarizing" is overused but sometimes it does apply. People forget it now, but for years alot of folks were divided on Johnny Depp's "acting choices" and why he always chose *weird* roles, etc.
I have thought of comparing Chris with Johnny Depp as well, or Ewan McGregor. They make some blockbusters, for exposure and money, and then do the movies they want to make themselves.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 5/2/2012, 1:33 am

Glorfindel wrote:
Buenos wrote:The term "polarizing" is overused but sometimes it does apply. People forget it now, but for years alot of folks were divided on Johnny Depp's "acting choices" and why he always chose *weird* roles, etc.
I have thought of comparing Chris with Johnny Depp as well, or Ewan McGregor. They make some blockbusters, for exposure and money, and then do the movies they want to make themselves.

Those are wonderful comparisons. [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 5 4247136565
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/2/2012, 1:36 am

when you are in the public eye you are bound to be judged from one extreme to another. if one is not capable of dealing w/ that kind of scrutiny, he/she might as well stop being a performer.

I wouldnt worry about chris. regardless of hte outcome of his movie.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  red texta 5/2/2012, 1:47 am

Glorfindel wrote:I have thought of comparing Chris with Johnny Depp as well, or Ewan McGregor. They make some blockbusters, for exposure and money, and then do the movies they want to make themselves.

I was just looking at that Vanity Fair picture and thinking how Chris was beginning to look a bit like Ewan. They have the same chin dimple although Chris' is maybe not quite so noticeable. They could easily play father and son though. Ewan was probably my first 'actor' crush so I'd pay good money to see that.
red texta
red texta
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 5 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next