Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

+29
sheny
coxfire
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
opals
Ranwing
Adamina
red texta
Buenos
Struck by Lightning
Divalicious
emilynna
kac
fountain
Glorfindel
fantastica
Catt24
Emile
tanita_mors
Delight
arina
CloveGlee
sahhar
dap1217
ColferInspired
paulopf
brisallie
Jellyrolls
Shinra17
33 posters

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  Shinra17 4/22/2012, 12:06 pm

Delight wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote: I got closer to him this time than I did last time--I could have reached out and touched him, but I didn't.
Once in a lifetime opportunity to touch Chris and you held back in respect for his personal space?
it reminds me of something he said once in an interview... Smile

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 2 M6-heavy-022488-2c1465a
(Omg, can I touch you? Are you going to bite me?)
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 2 Empty Re: [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  Shinra17 4/22/2012, 12:39 pm

Struck by Lightning: Once upon a time there was a boy

Chris Colfer’s Struck by Lightning is an odd little gem of a film that suffers more than a bit from being excessively clever, too personal, and uncertain about its relationship with magical realism. But it’s this unevenness that’s made it linger for me — not because of the film it could have been, but because of the way its flaws make it feel so true.

Which isn’t to say SBL isn’t laugh-out-loud hilarious. It is, and I lost a lot of lines to audience laughter. While some of that was the nature of a highly responsive audience, the screening being both the premiere and filled with fans, I think that’s going to happen once the film is in general release too. I’m going to have to see it again just to catch some of the zingers that I missed.

But it’s its quiet moments that work best. Like his acting, Colfer’s script is at its most adept when it’s listening and forcing you to live with the spaces in things; sometimes stuff is so terrible, there’s really nothing to say.

Scenes between Carson (Colfer) and his mother (Alison Janney) and Carson and his grandmother (Polly Bergen) are some of the best, although Carson has two big angry blowups at school that are somewhat agonizing to watch. They’re the righteous tantrums most of us who were bullied outsiders in high school probably fantasized about having, but instead of being moments that lead to change and victory they’re just met with a sort of stunned and exhausted silence.

Moments like that make watching the film feel profoundly personal but deeply murky; the temptation to decide the film contains truths about either Colfer’s life or our own is high and unpleasant, and a central conversation about the nature of ambition (someone has to be wildly successful, why shouldn’t Carson dream and work for it to be himself?) is both immensely truthful and feels weirdly naive. It’s a moment that should inspire a younger viewer and perhaps inspire regret in an older one, but it’s also awkward; because of who is in the scene it also reminds of us just how often we don’t like people who want things, or get them.

Ultimately, SBL has a great deal of compassion for people who do horrible things: a cheerleader who is cruel, a mother who sabotages; as well as for people it paints as cowards: the boys who won’t come out, the father who explicitly tries to forget his first family by neglecting to mention them to his second. It also gives us, briefly, the internal voices of the cardboard cutouts that were often the avatars of horror in many people’s high school experiences and makes them as human and lost as anyone else’s.

SBL also gives us a story about friendship that could have been ruined by veering down a “weird girl has crush on outcast boy” path. That alone is remarkable, but in keeping with a film that’s all about desire, but — for all it’s discussed — is almost never about sex.

Ultimately SBL is a very funny film about the beauties of sadness, desire and anger. It’s neither a perfect film, nor a happy one, but it is a little victorious regardless of whether you choose to have a Watsonian or Doylist experience of it. Despite, or perhaps because of that, it also lingers like a burn and raises one particular question that can’t help but feel terrible to me: what would have happened to Carson if he hadn’t gotten out of Clover in the way he did?

Letters from Titan
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/22/2012, 1:05 pm

These two reports from fans are less positive but stil positive

Some SBL thoughts and impressions. vague spoilers. disclaimer: i liked it, but i didn’t find it perfect or the best movie ever, so if that’s going to offend you, move along! Smile

- i was definitely impressed (if unsurprised) by chris’s acting — after a minute or two of adjustment on my part, i didn’t see kurt hummel at all. other than having chris colfer’s face, the two characters are very dissimilar, down to the way they walk or sit or roll their eyes.

- it’s funnier than i expected. lots of laughs. i actually think at times (especially toward the beginning of the movie) it was a little overwritten, like “hey! check out these clever one-liners!”, but it was enjoyable regardless. tons of chris’s dry humor, all of it really well-delivered by the cast. rebel wilson in particular was a riot.

- it’s also much more depressing than i expected. i knew he died, obviously, but… i don’t know. chris has mentioned wanting it to be inspirational and it sort of is, but it’s not the uplifting ending you might hope for. which on the one hand, good for chris for saying ‘fuck the formula,’ but on the other hand, it ended up feeling a little nihilistic, almost.

- chris colfer gives zero fucks about romantic storylines. neither does carson. it’s amusing.

- carson has two rather angry speeches. the first one is badass. the second one kinda is too, actually, but i’m not sure that both were necessary.

- I DIDN’T KNOW KEN MARINO WAS IN THIS MOVIE! it was only one scene, but i was excited when he appeared. (if you don’t know who he is, go watch party down and make your life awesome.)

- allison janney is, unsurprisingly, fantastic. she made me cry. christina hendricks was terrific as well.

- i would’ve preferred to have seen either more or less of the kids he was blackmailing. for the amount of time we spent with them, things felt unfinished.

- actually, that leads me into something, which is that so many of the storylines felt unresolved. which was most likely intentional — carson fucking died, his whole life was unresolved — but as a viewer it left me a little twitchy.

- i liked the movie more than it probably sounds like i did. i certainly recommend seeing it! i think what chris has done at such a young age is incredible, and i expect outstanding things from him in the future.
Sourcehttp://icedwhitemocha.tumblr.com/post/21570687010/some-sbl-thoughts-and-impressions-vague-spoilers

To be honest, it’s always good to take fan reviews with a grain of salt. Through fan-tinted lenses bad can become good, good can become great, etc. This is also why I tend to avoid more than general movie reviews because so often personal taste plays a big part in opinions, I prefer to form my own usually.
But please don’t be discouraged, nonnie. SBL is a really good movie. It was very funny and acerbic and sweet and heartbreaking. It’s got great performances and an authentic feel that you only get with an indie film. The script is strong and Chris’ is great in it.
As for what one takes away from it, I feel like that could be very subjective. I definitely think that for a teenage audience the movie would be even more strongly affecting since it sort of focuses a lot on that stubborn idealism of youth even in the face of gross, harsh reality.
Is it a flawless film? No. It could have used some more development of certain aspects and characters. There is a certain amount of editorializing that felt a bit heavy handed at times. And the tone was a bit uneven, starting from a place of dark comedy and losing that a bit too much in the later half to become much heavier. But over all it was a funny and affecting film which I’m sure a lot of people will enjoy and will likely get mostly good reviews. For a first effort it’s fantastic, especially at Chris’ age. And honestly, as someone who’s seen a shit ton of indie films, there is so much worse out there.
This is really a fantastic way for Chris to debut. He’ll get the indie cred, he’ll get praise for the writing and his performance, he’ll set himself apart from Glee with the darker tone, etc. Is it going to be a Blockbuster hit? No. But it will likely get distribution and people will see it. Will it win all the awards? Probably not. But if the buzz is good it’s possible.
But really, nonnie, I hope you will get the chance to see the movie for yourself and form your own opinions, because as I said above, how you take the movie and how much you love it really depends on your own perspective.
Well, there, I sort of wrote a review after all.
Sourcehttp://thestaticinhersmile.tumblr.com/
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 2 Empty Exceeded

Post  Catt24 4/22/2012, 1:14 pm

Pardon me for not posting last night, and I'm still very much giddy with having the privilege (thank you so much Kim, it was great to meet you as well as seeing Karen again) of attending the premiere of SBL, seeing Chris for the 2nd time in less than a year, and supporting his first film..What an amazing night Smile

The film honestly exceeded my expectations because it went beyond adolescent angst, and Chris really surprised me, not only as an actor, but as a writer. He really explored some of the most fundamental, and complex dynamics of familial relationships. Without giving too much away, the love/hate relationship of Carson and his mother (brilliantly portrayed by Allison Janney) felt so real, and emotional, that at times I had my own visceral reactions. The one-liners were incredibly funny, sharp, and edgy. The high-school cliques in SBL, while may seem cliche, seemed real and earnest. I never felt lost in watching the film, since continuity was a mainstay.

Will this movie win a gazillion Academy Awards? No. But what it has accomplished for me is that it has set Chris apart from his Glee persona, and has highlighted what an exceptional and raw talent Chris is, not only as an actor but as a writer. I firmly believe that we're at the very beginning of Chris's journey as an artist! fanny2

Catt24
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/22/2012, 1:40 pm

^

Hi Catt, I'm glad you have a great time too and thanks for your review Smile - Kim must be still sleeping or too exciting to write Razz -

To sum up all the reviews I've read until now, most of them positives by the way, I realized there's not a romantic plot in this film which impresses me a lot because even indie films has it ,so I like the fact this not-though I one of the girls who deeply enjoy romance in films- because its developed other plots related to life which are also relevant Smile
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/22/2012, 1:43 pm

I don't know why, but I'm getting the feeling that my own impressions of Struck By Lightning, when I get to see it, will be very similar to that review arina posted. I really don't mind getting spoiled, to be honest, actually I'm one of those persons who first reads book's endings. It's like a test: would this still be able to caught my attention even if it can't count on the surprise element any longer? Reading all these reviews, fannish and more objective ones, is definitely making me want to see the movie even more! Problem is that if it doesn't get a worldwide distribution deal, I'd probably have to fly somewhere to catch it, since I don't think I'll be able to wait til the DVD comes out.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Catt24 4/22/2012, 2:13 pm

brisallie wrote:^

Hi Catt, I'm glad you have a great time too and thanks for your review Smile - Kim must be still sleeping or too exciting to write Razz -

To sum up all the reviews I've read until now, most of them positives by the way, I realized there's not a romantic plot in this film which impresses me a lot because even indie films has it ,so I like the fact this not-though I one of the girls who deeply enjoy romance in films- because its developed other plots related to life which are also relevant Smile

It was a FANTASTIC time Smile SBL is not a movie about romance, but more about dreams being unfulfilled. In Carson's case, we see his struggle and journey to acheive his career goals, which is truly bittersweet. Yet, in the case of Carson's parent's, we get to see how love is not what it's all cracked up to be, especially when one puts their whole hopes & dreams in their partner.

Catt24
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/22/2012, 3:34 pm

From what I have read, all the reviews have been positive. Maybe not all of them have been gushing and filled with words like PERFECTION and BRILLIANCE and had some criticism. I generally think that all criticism is constructive and is there to better the artist not defer him from farther work.

While his movie isn't perfect in every conceivable way, that doesn't make it bad or not worth seeing. I know maybe a handful of movies that I would call perfect in every way, but others may not. If reviews continue to be like this from fans as well as critics, his movie is a total success in my book.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/22/2012, 6:43 pm

nearly non-spoilerish:

‘Struck By Lightning’ Is An Impressive Start To Chris Colfer’s Writing Career

Struck By Lightning could be your typical dark high school comedy fare; the outcast suddenly becomes the proud symbol of personal individualism therefore helping the other kids expand their own horizons. In fact, I’m not sure Struck By Lightning would be anything out of the ordinary if not for its cast and really impressive decisions made by writer/star Chris Colfer, that’s right, Kurt from Glee.

First of the better decisions was the lack of a romantic subplot. Usually we see these high school movies setting up the beautiful sensitive type with the beautiful caustic nerd or something. Colfer strays away from this so gracefully that you don’t even notice that the plot was missing until you start to mentally compare it to other high school centric films you’ve seen.

Additionally, most of the characters are generally unlikable. Nobody, including the protagonist Carson, his mother, his father, his schoolmates, is a particularly sympathetic or even nice. They’re all trapped, like Carson is, in the never ending disappointment ride called life.

These choices push Struck By Lightning outside of the realm of a typical dramedy, even though the staples linger elsewhere (angsty teen voice over, student sleeping with teacher…). The film is casted perfectly with command performances by Allison Janney and Polly Bergen. Overall, it’s a good start for Colfer’s writing career and I can’t wait to see how his writing develops over the next few years.

Our Rating: B

April 22, 2012 - Ology.com
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

A bit strange that the review mentions only the writing side of his career, but well...
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/22/2012, 6:49 pm

Well, they already know he is a decent actor (brilliant more like it) - it's not likely that is going to change, so the real test here is for his writing. I think that is what most people will be looking for.

I don't know their rating system for movies and how they base it, but I would say a B for a first time movie is a great grade.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/22/2012, 6:52 pm

having hte seen the movie myself I can say that reviews generally have a pretty wide range so take every review (including mine) w/ a grain of salt. you must see it for youself to judge it. hte overall critics' opinions do indicate how the movie is received. I agree that the movie's lack of a romantic plot is not noticeable at all. the whole story was tightly told in a good pace you don't really question the things like carsons sexual orientation or his possible romantic interests. they are totally non-issues.

I think a B is a about the lowest this movie should deserve. B+ to A- is the grade that's more more appropriate.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/22/2012, 6:58 pm

I agree that subjectivity is a big part of any review. We all identify and look for thing that are familiar or we want to see. I'm glad that everyone agrees that the movie is engaging and moving. Weather some see it as a comedy, dark comedy, darmedy, drama or ever tragedy is up to the individual, but if those common denominators that are important for a good reception of a film are present,observed and noticed by most, it's a clear sign that Chris did something great. It doesn't need to be perfect to be great.

I think a B is a about the lowest this movie should deserve. B+ to A- is the grade that's more more appropriate.
I haven't seen it so I can't really comment on this, but a B is like 4 stars out of 5. That is a decent start in my book.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/22/2012, 7:08 pm

^ again I am speaking from my own taste buds which maybe weird. I think to be fair, if i were totally unbiased, i would give it a B+. but since I am a chris fan, i would give it an A-. I can't help being biased as a fan. it's too late right now to "un-fan" myself.

Last edited by fantastica on 4/22/2012, 7:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/22/2012, 7:16 pm

Catt24 wrote:

It was a FANTASTIC time Smile SBL is not a movie about romance, but more about dreams being unfulfilled. In Carson's case, we see his struggle and journey to acheive his career goals, which is truly bittersweet. Yet, in the case of Carson's parent's, we get to see how love is not what it's all cracked up to be, especially when one puts their whole hopes & dreams in their partner.

So taking what Chris said, he really wanted that everyone identify with this movie, thinking about their personal experiences. I'm really expecting to see how he wrote the SL related to Carson's parent and how is his relationship with them, according to Kim she couldn't believe how a boy that has never experienced parent's divorce wrote so well about it; personally is a issue that I feel really connected.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/22/2012, 7:23 pm

I'm not surprised. Imagination is a wonderous thing. When you have a lot of time that you spend by yourself, all kinds of scenarios get into your head and you want to see where they can lead. Also, if he has even a moderate interest and understanding of human psychology, it can take him to many avenues and many directions. Also, it's not out of the realm of possibility that he has close friends whose parents went throw a messy divorce and the aftermath of that. He could have seen first had what that does to children.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/22/2012, 11:08 pm

Videos!

paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/23/2012, 1:53 am

arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/23/2012, 2:18 am

Tribeca Review – Struck by Lightning (Starring Chris Colfer)

By now you may have heard of ‘Struck by Lightning,’ one of the more popular films premiering at this year’s Tribeca Film Festival. Famous for starring and being written by Glee’s Chris Colfer, as well as featuring an all-star cast of Modern Family’s Sarah Hyland, Mad Men’s Christina Hendricks, Allison Janney, and veteran actress Polly Bergen.

The film tells the story of Carson (Colfer), who after being struck and killed by lightning, recounts the way he blackmailed his fellow classmates into contributing to his literary magazine. That’s the short and sweet version, but thankfully Colfer has created a much more complex story. He took what could have been a typical teen comedy and put a different spin on it. It’s dark, often cruel at times, but that’s how life really is.

While the film centered on mostly Carson’s journey, for me this film was about a young boy with huge dreams for the future and an older woman stuck in the past. Said older woman being Allison Janney who portrays Carson’s mother. I wouldn’t be surprised if she received awards recognition later this year, she absolutely killed it in this role. She took an extremely unlikable character and turned her into a real person that you actually cared for. I loved this character and so desperately wanted her to find happiness.

So how was Colfer in his first non-Glee role? Pretty much the same as he always is, fantastic. Whether you enjoy ‘Glee’ or not – I tend to find the show badly written and cheesy – Colfer is a phenomenal actor that lights up the screen whenever he is present, quite like lightning (pardon my pun). Not only was this character a spit-fire and extremely witty, what I loved so much about Carson was that he had no love interest in this film. Almost all teen flicks feel the need to have a romantic subplot for the lead character but that was never even explored which I really appreciated, not everybody needs to fall in love in high school!

My one qualm about the film? Carson’s classmates amount to nothing more than cliché stereotypes. Don’t get me wrong, the characters were enjoyable and funny (particularly Sarah Hyland as cheerleader Claire Matthews and Roberto Aguire as the womanizing foreigner), but I wish we could have gotten more out of them! With the exception of the hilarious Rebel Wilson as Carson’s strange best friend, by the film’s end the rest of his classmates were still generally the same characters when we first met them therefore not that likable. I wish there could’ve been more growth with them, but that’s not what this film set out to do and I suppose it’s a good thing because it was more realistic in that sense. I don’t know about you but in my high school the bitchy cheerleader and dumb jock never broke out of their stereotypes either.

‘Struck by Lightning’ manages to be inspiring in two ways, first with the character of Carson who stands up for what he believes in and stops at nothing to get what he wants, and the second is the story behind the film, Chris Colfer wrote this imaginative screenplay at the ripe age of 16 and here it is on the big screen with this tremendous cast. If that doesn’t inspire you to chase your youthful dreams I don’t know what will!
The Movie Banter
Big thanks to Carrie who always find things that I don't know existed!

Last edited by fantastica on 4/23/2012, 3:28 am; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/23/2012, 2:22 am

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 2 StruckByLightning

this scene isn't in the movie though. at least i don't remember. if I am wrong, please correct me.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/23/2012, 3:03 am

Chris Colfer Goes Back to High School (and Dies) in Tribeca Smash ‘Struck by Lightning’

Chris Colfer is best known as a star of the television series “Glee,” but on Saturday night in Lower Manhattan, he could add a new title to his resume: King of the Tribeca Film Festival.

“Struck by Lightning,” the black comedy written by and starring Colfer, drew a screaming, squealing, standing ovation when it premiered at the BMCC Tribeca theater on Saturday. Much of the noise came from teen girls who were clearly fans of Colfer from his primetime gig, though some of the enthusiasm came not from Gleeks but from normally more sedate quarters: “Harry Potter” star Emma Watson (below) showed up, asked a question at the post-screening Q&A and added, “I’m a huge fan of your movie!”

And at indieWIRE, Bryce J. Renninger praised the film and then made a prediction: “Just watch: Colfer will be one of the most interesting pop culture voices of this generation.”

Directed by Brian Dannelly, “Struck By Lightning” is a comedy set in a small-town high school, where Colfer’s character, Carson Phillips, is the overachieving but underappreciated editor of the school newspaper, and an aspiring journalist desperate to get into Northwestern University.

He’s also outspoken, acerbic and brutally dismissive of most of those around him, from his classmates to his teachers to his pill-popping mother (Allison Janney, in a delicious scenery-chewing performance) and absent father.

“He’s a version of me if I didn’t hold back,” Colfer told TheWrap in an interview at Tribeca. “Half the things he says are things that I point-blank wanted to say to people in high school, but I bit my fist.”

As a gay teen who didn’t have a lot of friends but liked to hang out with “the lunch ladies,” Colfer said he vented in his script because he wouldn’t dare do it in real life.

“I didn’t let anyone know what my emotions were,” he said. “I’m surprised I didn’t get an ulcer in high school, because I internalized everything.”

It does not require a spoiler alert to reveal that Carson doesn’t make it to Northwestern: The title of the film comes from what happens in its first minute, when the character is struck by lightning and killed in the school parking lot.

Colfer says that moment was the genesis of his script, which he began writing while he himself was in high school. “I’d just finished editing the literary magazine, and I was the last to leave the school,” he said. “I was tired and frustrated and mad that half the literary magazine was stuff that I did. I was walking to my car in the parking lot, my parents were out of town, and it was kinda cloudy. I thought, if I was struck by lightning right now, it’d take a few days to find me.

“And it came to me right then, this story of a kid who was fed up and tired and didn’t take any prisoners.”

The film, which is narrated by Carson from the Great Beyond, is a smart and twisted and funny look at high school cliques, popularity, blackmail and the absurd but at-the-time-important rituals that are fodder for many a high school comedy.

Colfer’s script is darker than most films of this ilk, amd dismissive of the usual teen-movie tropes. Nothing, after all, deflates the suspense of a “will he get into the college of his dreams?” plotline like the certain knowledge that the character will be dead before graduation.

You could call “Struck by Lightning” a “Heathers” for 2012, though with a significantly lower body count.

It’s not a perfect movie by any means, but the film is fresh and energetic – and if Colfer really does have a “Glee” fan base as avid as the ones who showed up at Tribeca, the film has a real shot commercially.

And if it paints Colfer as the typical actor who really wants to branch out and have more control over his roles – “I am the walking cliché with this,” he admitted – it also allows him to do something that he said he’s wanted to do for as long as he’s wanted to act.

“Ever since I knew what it was, I knew I wanted to do it,” he said of screenwriting. “I wanted to create the stories that I saw in the movies, where I spent most of my time as a kid. I would come home and play with my action figures, and write cast lists, like, ‘Batman as George, Poison Ivy as Priscilla…’”

When the success of “Glee” emboldened him to begin shopping his script around, he said he was understandably met with skepticism, even by those on his own team.

But with his first movie now finished, he’s ready to get another underway, why he waits to find out what he’ll be doing on next year’s “Glee”: “I’m graduating this year for sure, but I’m not sure what’s going on after that. I wish they’d announce so everyone knows. I’d like to know.”

He’d like to shoot his second script this summer, though at the moment he’s still looking for a director and trying to set it up as an indie production the same way he did with “Struck by Lightning.”

“Now that I have this first one made, it doesn’t feel so shady to talk about the next one,” he said. “It’s a big genre change for me – it takes place in a 1930s asylum, rather than high school.”

He stops, grins and shrugs. “They’re probably pretty similar, actually.”
Sourcehttp://www.thewrap.com/movies/column-post/chris-colfer-goes-back-high-school-and-dies-tribeca-smash-struck-lightning-37194
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/23/2012, 3:45 am

Tribeca Premiere - Struck by Lightning
Chris Colfer (Glee) makes his screenwriting debut with Struck by Lightning, a satirical comedy about surviving high school. The film is directed by Brian Dannelly (Saved) and Colfer stars opposite a talented cast including Allison Janney (The Help), Christina Hendricks (Mad Men), Dermot Mulroney (J. Edgar), and Sarah Highland (Modern Family). PPLA attended the world premiere at the Tribeca Film Festival.

This coming of age comedy literally opens with a bang when seventeen year old Carson Phillips (Colfer) is struck by a bolt of lightning. The incident is the spark to a wickidly funny story about a young man who devises a blackmailing scheme to improve his chances of getting accepted into a top college…but what he accomplishes is much more profound.

At the age of sixteen, Chris Colfer was a high school student- and not just playing one on the hit tv series Glee. He wanted to write a screenplay and began developing characters for his story. In his junior year, he turned the idea into an Original Prose and Poetry (OPP) for a Speech and Debate event where he played every character in the ten-minute. piece.

Now five years later, Colfer’s speech and debate coach, Mikendra McCoy was asked to be involved with this project. Colfer credit’s McCoy with getting him through high school. “I made her come out and play the Science teacher in the film because she was my savior,” said Colfer. “She had to be a part of it, beause she was there when it all started with my old Speech and Debate OPP.”

Colfer developed a full script and created the characters to represent many of the same people everyone comes across throughout their high school years. “This is not autobiographical at all though,” says Colfer, “I think the only similarity is that I was President of a writer’s club in high school and dealt with a lot of the crap that Carson deals with in this movie. Carson always spoke his mind and spoke against his peers. He never let anyone walk all over him. I was the exact opposite.”

This refreshingly authentic comedy is sure to keep you laughing. The chemistry among the cast was excellent, and I predict several awards for Allison Janney’s witty but troubled performance as Carson’s (Colfer) mom.

Source - http://presspassla.com/index.php?option=com_k2&view=item&id=512:tribeca-premiere-struck-by-lightning&Itemid=6

It would be awesome if it get awards for Allison, every award counts and it would make people to know more about the movie.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/23/2012, 4:03 am

haha, I am not going to get my hopes high up for any awards. but if any actor like alison can get an award from this movie, imagine how many good actors would want to be in Chris' movie next time!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/23/2012, 6:34 am

It's brief, but:
Movie News Cheat Sheet

The Tribeca Film Festival is in full swing here in New York and rather than reference other outlets’ reviews, I can tell you about the films myself, as I’m covering the event. Thus far, Struck By Lightning is a standout, proving Chris Colfer isn’t just a triple threat; he can act, sing, dance and write. ---- X

Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 4/23/2012, 8:20 am

Thanks Kim, Jelly and Catt for your reviews. [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread - Page 2 4247136565

And thanks for the other reviews that have been posted as well. So many honest and positive reviews with some honest criticism that shouldn't put anyone off wanting to watch it.

I am glad you three girls where able to have this wonderful experience and watch this movie. I hope us here in Australia will be able to get to see it soon.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/23/2012, 11:25 am

arina wrote:

I've downloaded this video clip but couldn't quite bring myself to watch it, for fear of too much spoilers.

I guess I'll content myself with the gifs and transcription of the Q&A on tumblr...

Anyone here knows how exactly the Apple Store Q&A worked? Are all the people who attended the event expected to buy an Apple product or something?
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 9 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next