Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies reviews by yourself

+19
ColdFlame96
ChrisColferFan1
ColferGirl
MoviesAreLife
valkeakuulas
Ireth
Jellyrolls
BlueJazz
Buenos
Kurt Hummel
Emile
Delight
Sani
Glorfindel
tanita_mors
brisallie
fantastica
paulopf
Shinra17
23 posters

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next

Go down

Movies reviews by yourself - Page 11 Empty Re: Movies reviews by yourself

Post  ColdFlame96 5/15/2013, 4:42 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

It's so expensive now...it's depressing! Luckily for me, my favorite local theatre has this policy: tickets are only six dollars if you go before noon. After that, prices double.

I have dollar theaters where I live. Once a movies been in theaters for a while, it moves to the dollar theater. It's worth the wait if it means I don't have to fork over $20.

I have those too! I've never been to one, though. I'm afraid there might be rats running around on the floor or something...

Bring Mangie with you or something. Laughing

Nah, I don't want her anywhere near those things. She could get sick.

Oh please. Believe it or not, but that fluffy bundle of joy is a killing machine. The tiger is her cousin, you can't get anymore bad ass than that. Razz
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 5/15/2013, 4:43 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:

I have dollar theaters where I live. Once a movies been in theaters for a while, it moves to the dollar theater. It's worth the wait if it means I don't have to fork over $20.

I have those too! I've never been to one, though. I'm afraid there might be rats running around on the floor or something...

Oh please. Believe it or not, but that fluffy bundle of joy is a killing machine. The tiger is her cousin, you can't get anymore bad ass than that. Razz

To me, she's my innocent little daughter who I must protect from the outside world. Smile

Plus, she doesn't have front claws...(the previous owner's doing). But I do call her "My Little Lion" sometimes.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 5/15/2013, 4:49 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

To me, she's my innocent little daughter who I must protect from the outside world. Smile

Plus, she doesn't have front claws...(the previous owner's doing). But I do call her "My Little Lion" sometimes.

I know what you mean. I don't even let my cats outside because the last cat I put outdoors got mauled by a dog. :(
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 5/15/2013, 5:19 pm

One dollar theatres? Wau! blinkk I don't think I've ever seen a movie in a theather costing less than 7€. I know you can't directly compare prices between countries but it's fun to notice how differently movies are viewed in different countries. That 7€ is for showing beginning before four or five in the early evening. Even advanced tickets will cost over 10€ this summer. I' always use the pre-paid tickets, but soon even that way the prices are getting tough to handle. If you take a regular sized family, two adults and two kids to see, let see a 3D film it's going to be almost 50€!

My biggest complaint is that we have one major chain ruling over almost every single city and they have very limited view on what is profitable to show. They do show "excentricities" but usually only for one week and if your not alert they pass you by so easily. Few independent try to survive here and there. I think if they have had enough money to invest into digital systems they can show films better/with better profit and speed. But in my town it's almost impossible for just to pop into cinema on Saturday nights, because they sell out almost every film showing. You always have to plan if you want to see a movie on Saturday.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 5/15/2013, 5:35 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:

I know what you mean. I don't even let my cats outside because the last cat I put outdoors got mauled by a dog. :(

Holy crap! This is why I never want to let Mangy outside ever! I'm so sorry.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 5/15/2013, 6:06 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

Yeah his name was Al, and he was dumb as a box of rocks, but he was a sweetheart. I couldn't afford him to get him fixed, and he kept spraying everywhere, so I had to put him outside. The problem was, I didn't have a fence and my neighborhood always has random dogs running around. The one who killed my cat was a pitbull and those are illegal.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 5/15/2013, 6:35 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:

Yeah his name was Al, and he was dumb as a box of rocks, but he was a sweetheart. I couldn't afford him to get him fixed, and he kept spraying everywhere, so I had to put him outside. The problem was, I didn't have a fence and my neighborhood always has random dogs running around. The one who killed my cat was a pitbull and those are illegal.

Ugh. I hate dogs sometimes. I hate it when owners let their big, dangerous dogs run loose to chase people and smaller animals. A big dog next door chased Mangy into our garage this one time...my mom only told me about it after I had gotten home. (She always lets Mangy out every chance she can get and I hate it!) Anyway, her boyfriend at the time stopped the dog from hurting her. Had I been there, I would have gone after that damned dog with a golf club.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 5/15/2013, 6:50 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

Ugh. I hate dogs sometimes. I hate it when owners let their big, dangerous dogs run loose to chase people and smaller animals. A big dog next door chased Mangy into our garage this one time...my mom only told me about it after I had gotten home. (She always lets Mangy out every chance she can get and I hate it!) Anyway, her boyfriend at the time stopped the dog from hurting her. Had I been there, I would have gone after that damned dog with a golf club.

Yeah, Animal Control promised to take care of it. I even pressed charges. But the stupid dog is still there and I never got my money. So glad I moved 17 hours away.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 5/16/2013, 5:11 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:

Yeah, Animal Control promised to take care of it. I even pressed charges. But the stupid dog is still there and I never got my money. So glad I moved 17 hours away.

That's awful.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/21/2013, 1:09 pm

I've seen The Hunger Games, and pretty much I liked it. But, have you seen Battle Royale? is a japanese movie in which students have to kill to each other, and the last person alive is the winner. So is quite similiar to what happens in Hunger Games, and because of it, I couldn't avoid to compare them. In both movies there's a situation that triggered these "games" or bloodshed, though I'd say Battle Royale is more gory, as a way to punish those who offended the authorities.

But the difference is, Hunger Games is targeted to a wider audience, probably that why there's romance and friendships so sweet like the one between Katniss and Rue, I confess I cried in their scene. But by other side the bloody scenes have been toned down, unlike BR in which there're aren't afraid to show how people kill to each other, and is lots of blood. However there's also an story behind.

To sum up, I've decided to read Hunger Games. Though the movie was clear and explain well everything, but I had a feeling there was something missed.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/21/2013, 7:53 pm

i though the movie was more/less straight forward recreation of the book. there are details missing, but as far as adaptations go, it was a good one. i red the first and second hunger games books and liked them a a lot. the 3rd i started, but it kind of dragged on for me and the pace was different given the different setting of the book. i'll go back to it to finish for sure, probably before part 3 reaches the cinemas. personally, i found the books romance to be the weakest part of it. i understand the need for it as it gives an added emotional layer in the story, but could have lived without it.

btw, i saw star trek today. it was very very fun and entertaining movie. i really enjoyed benedict cumberbatch in his most physical role to date and the guy never looked hotter to be honest - next to good drama, he can apparently do action hero/villain well to.

Spoiler:

my one dream for movie no.3 would be to see the Borg as the main villains. i know they don't appear till 70-80 years after kirk in the trek canon, but given that this whole series of movies is basically alternative universe, who is to say that my favorite trek villains can't be seen sooner. either that, or they go the DS9 ruth and meet the Dominion.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/22/2013, 6:58 am

tanita_mors wrote:

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

tanita_mors wrote:my one dream for movie no.3 would be to see the Borg as the main villains. i know they don't appear till 70-80 years after kirk in the trek canon, but given that this whole series of movies is basically alternative universe, who is to say that my favorite trek villains can't be seen sooner. either that, or they go the DS9 ruth and meet the Dominion.

I suppose they have to reserve the Borg for a time when someone decides to make reboot/new ST:TNG movies.

Aside from Klingons and Bendict Cumberbatch's character, what cool villains are left in the TOS series? Mirror-verse Kirk and Spock would be interesting...
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/22/2013, 11:37 am

Spoiler:

man, i take star trek too seriously. ptdr

as for other villains, i didn't watch the original series so i don't really know what were the big adversaries there. but i dio agree, that if they don't do the Borg for movie 3, "in the mirror darkly" type of plot line could work and it would also give the actors great material to work with.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/23/2013, 4:40 am

tanita_mors wrote:
Spoiler:

man, i take star trek too seriously. ptdr

I myself have just started dipping my toe into the Star Trek fandom at the moment, and I can understand the passion the fans have for the TV show. There are times when they get too critical and nit-picky just because the movie deviates from their perception of what Star Trek should be about (I've read reviews and comments by quite a few disgruntled Star Trek TOS fans) and you just have to shrug and accept that it's impossible for a movie to please everyone. The writers and director stayed true to their vision of what the movie should be about, and I commend them. Pandering to every Trekker/Trekkie out there is unwise and frankly, impossible.

Okay, still using spoiler bars in case people here haven't watched the movie yet.

Spoiler:
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/23/2013, 9:06 am

i always loved the dynamic between vulcans and humans. it's a clear show a student surpasing the teacher, because the student was willing to adapt. vulcans were always portrayed as superior to us, in their intelligence, strength, reason and yet i always felt that many of then had either clear signs of jealous envy towards us or complete shock and respect as to how humans achieved warp drive and the prosperity of our society in only a few hundred odd yaers, while it took them 1500 years if i'm not mistaken and only after they turned themselves into emotional robots. there is a reason that it took a race who values "compromise" to bring vulcans, andorians and the tellarite together and founded the united federation of planets, and while the president is from a different planet after every term, there is a reason while the federation headquarters is on earth. it was probably disconcerting (in trek cannon), for vulcans to watch the rise of a rase t they deemed "children" when they first meet, and some 300-400 years latter, are running the show. vulcans live for 200 years or so, so such rise in their own lifetimes and without the conquering mentality that is displayed by kliongs or roumulans, was probably unheard of.

and btw, i haven't watch a star trek show in years. i can't believe i'm pulling all this crap from my head. no wonder i didn't haven't finished collage yet. i really am i trekkie, even though i haven't watched all those shows.

btw part 2, i did pass that exam i had on monday. 4 more to go and that economics degree is mine.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/24/2013, 10:39 am

tanita_mors wrote:i always loved the dynamic between vulcans and humans. it's a clear show a student surpasing the teacher, because the student was willing to adapt. vulcans were always portrayed as superior to us, in their intelligence, strength, reason and yet i always felt that many of then had either clear signs of jealous envy towards us or complete shock and respect as to how humans achieved warp drive and the prosperity of our society in only a few hundred odd yaers, while it took them 1500 years if i'm not mistaken and only after they turned themselves into emotional robots. there is a reason that it took a race who values "compromise" to bring vulcans, andorians and the tellarite together and founded the united federation of planets, and while the president is from a different planet after every term, there is a reason while the federation headquarters is on earth. it was probably disconcerting (in trek cannon), for vulcans to watch the rise of a rase t they deemed "children" when they first meet, and some 300-400 years latter, are running the show. vulcans live for 200 years or so, so such rise in their own lifetimes and without the conquering mentality that is displayed by kliongs or roumulans, was probably unheard of.

and btw, i haven't watch a star trek show in years. i can't believe i'm pulling all this crap from my head. no wonder i didn't haven't finished collage yet. i really am i trekkie, even though i haven't watched all those shows.

I bow down to your near-encyclopedic knowledge of Trek canon and history Smile

Since Nimoy had made his Vulcan character so popular in the original ST series, I wonder why they didn't have Vulcans on the bridge crew of the subsequent TV series like TNG or DS9? Hmm, I suppose the android Data on TNG can serve as a Vulcan-like character to some degree...

tanita_mors wrote:
btw part 2, i did pass that exam i had on monday. 4 more to go and that economics degree is mine.

Your examiners are super efficient markers. Congratulations on passing the exam. Good luck with the rest!
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/24/2013, 11:52 am

Your examiners are super efficient markers. Congratulations on passing the exam. Good luck with the rest!
not really. i had the written/practical part of the exam with calculations and actual accounting about 20 days ago, and this was the oral part of the exam. should have been sooner that that, but we had a bit of a spring holiday with the first of may and orthodox easter being very close so the collage was closed from 27. 04 to 10.05.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 7/7/2013, 9:10 am

If you're like me, you would've harboured the desire to watch a sequel or a continuation story of some kind after watching 'The Sixth Sense'. That movie ended on an uplifting note. Here's a child, with the gift of seeing dead people, who finally stopped being afraid and started wanting to use his gift to help the ghosts he meets. What if he uses this gift to solve murder mysteries (as he had already done in the movie, revealing a death assumed to be from illness to be a murder from poisoning), and capture criminals? There had been TV series with a similar premise-- Ghost whisperer, Pushing Daisies. Neither of those TV series had particularly piqued my interest though.

Then along came this movie 'Odd Thomas', which I quite enjoyed.

Movies reviews by yourself - Page 11 Tumblr_mpkdv3E9ff1ra2zw3o1_400

The protagonist is acted by Anton Yelchin, the same young man who portrayed Chekov in the new Star Trek movies. Willem Dafoe is also in this movie, and there's even a funny cameo appearance by that actor who acted as the Mummy in the first two Mummy movies.

The movie started out with a light-hearted tone, with its quirky characters and how they interacted with each other. It's been a while since I've been charmed watching a couple on screen (I'm referring to the protagonist and his girlfriend who effortlessly took all his odd behaviour and special abilities in stride). The movie becomes more dark towards the end, with the protagonist racing against time to prevent a disaster from happening.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 8/24/2013, 7:07 pm

Did you see Ewan Mcgregor is filming a John Le Carre film with Ralph Fiennes and Mads Mikkelson, Buenos? Intriguing.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/25/2013, 5:37 pm

Has anyone here seen "The Butler"? What did you think? It was good, not great. I appreciate the intention behind the film, and the performances were not bad at all. But something felt off to me. It felt a little heavy handed.

I also hated how they skipped over the Bushes and the Clinton administrations. Of course, the movie was already two hours long and they couldn't cram everything in there.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 9/8/2013, 5:55 am

I saw One Direction: This Is Us with my family. I'm not a fan but I do find Niall Horan cute and some of their songs are ok. I shared a room with my step sister for a long time and she would often fall alseep with her One Direction on repeat. My little sister on the other hand also loves them. Her favorite member is Louis (pronounced Looey) Tomlinson.

Anyway, I thought the movie was alright. It was interesting where they grew up, their famlies, and their lives on and off tour.

For those who are curious, here is Niall
Movies reviews by yourself - Page 11 3689516-256-k456941

And Louis.(A lot of the photos are really big so I'll just post a link.)
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/photos/34400000/louis-tomlinson-2013-one-direction-34483856-1640-2000.jpg
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 9/8/2013, 2:25 pm

Honestly, the only one I thought was remotely attractive was Harry, but maybe that's because I have a thing for pretty boys.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Kurt Hummel 9/8/2013, 3:40 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:Honestly, the only one I thought was remotely attractive was Harry, but maybe that's because I have a thing for pretty boys.
I can see why. I'm not into him but even I found him kinda cute. My step sister loves Harry.
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/11/2013, 12:03 pm

Surprised there are no early reviews out yet of "The Family" in which Dianna Agron costars in with Robert DeNiro ,Michelle Pfeiffer and Tommy Lee Jones. IT comes out Friday.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/26/2013, 6:05 pm

My husband and I just saw 'Gravity' in the cinema.
The movie is starring Sandra Bullock and George Clooney, and they are the only 2 survivors of a serious accident with a shuttle in an orbit around the earth. It's not science fiction like StarWars or Star Trek: it's about a space project like we have nowadays (like the Russian space station and the USA shuttles missions).

There's a lot of suspense and surpises in the movie, so much so that it kept my husband and me on the tip of our seats, me often with my hand over my mouth. There's a quite a lot of action, but the focus is almost constantly on how one of them is feeling (Sandra Bullock), not the action. In fact: when the action stops the movie is at its most thrilling a couple of times.

Sandra Bullock is the main character of the movie, and she is actually the only actor we see for over 50% of the movie. It's great to see that her particular role was played by a woman, as they just as easily could have written it for a man.
Sandra's acting was wonderful, very strong. I wouldn't be surprised if she gets another Oscar nomination for it. Her fear and despair felt so real, and there's a moment (somewhere in the first half) where she gets spun around and around and I practically got airsick with her.
That particular scene was filmed with a great special effect: the camera goes from showing her (Sandra Bullock's character) in the distance, to a close-up, and then the camera spins in a way that we're suddenly seeing things from her eyes, her perspective, from inside the space helmet she's wearing. It gave a good feeling of how claustrofobic that experience was, and how vastly big and lonely space is.

The special effects are overwhelming, and especially in the cinema (3D) the views of space, earth, and e.g. the sun rising are breathtaking.
But although the special effects are an important part of the appeal of the movie, it's very obvious throughout that the focus is on the actors, so the special effects are not 'outplaying' them but more giving them something to work with and (sometimes literally) 'bounce off' of.
It's almost like the special effects (the visual in general and the 3D especially) are another 'actor' in the movie, since there are literally only 2 actors in the entire movie.

I really liked it, and even though it was clear from the start that there would be a reasonable happy ending, there was never a predictable moment in the movie, nor the feeling that we (the audience) were being played with by e.g. unnecessary visual rollercoaster action, twists-just-for-the-sake-of-a-twist, or too sentimental platitudes.

Very much worth my popcorn money. neutre
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 11 of 17 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 17  Next