Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Movies reviews by yourself

+19
ColdFlame96
ChrisColferFan1
ColferGirl
MoviesAreLife
valkeakuulas
Ireth
Jellyrolls
BlueJazz
Buenos
Kurt Hummel
Emile
Delight
Sani
Glorfindel
tanita_mors
brisallie
fantastica
paulopf
Shinra17
23 posters

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next

Go down

Movies reviews by yourself Empty Movies reviews by yourself

Post  Shinra17 4/16/2012, 5:23 pm

Whether you are still going into theaters to watch them or you are a die-hard downloader, feel free to discuss any movie you have seen or plan to see here, well except obviously Hunter game that was discussed in another thread Smile

Last edited by Shinra17 on 4/16/2012, 5:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Movies reviews by yourself Empty Re: Movies reviews by yourself

Post  paulopf 4/16/2012, 5:25 pm

Oh! There's a new one here! Why does The Hunger Games get its own post? Favoritism, I say! Smile I'll be back soon!
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/16/2012, 5:27 pm

^ Actually, it's the contrary, HG has been discussed in a general discussion thread Smile
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/17/2012, 1:26 am

Hm. So I know The Hunger Games has been discussed on another thread, which I will find soon, yet, since this section for movies is here (at least til now XD), and I went to watch it tonight, I wanna say I really enjoy it. To my surprise. I don't know the books and I usually don't enjoy all that much those so called "young adult" books. For instance, I might be one of the very few people from my generation that can't really understand all the buzz around Harry Potter. I just read the first book, I should clarify, though.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/17/2012, 1:49 am

^ we talked about HG in the Bistro thread (formerly "Random Thoughts and Gossips" thread). neutre
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/17/2012, 9:39 am

paulopf wrote:Hm. So I know The Hunger Games has been discussed on another thread, which I will find soon, yet, since this section for movies is here (at least til now XD), and I went to watch it tonight, I wanna say I really enjoy it. To my surprise. I don't know the books and I usually don't enjoy all that much those so called "young adult" books. For instance, I might be one of the very few people from my generation that can't really understand all the buzz around Harry Potter. I just read the first book, I should clarify, though.

What?! Paulo I used to be and slighly still I am a huge fan of Harry Potter Razz Personally I've read all the books and seen all the movies, yep a huge crazy fan. But is ok I've met people of our age (I'm only two years older than you) that doesn't like it so I see your point.

Personally I'm not good at seeing movies in theaters, usually I downloaded from internet tonguue Since two weeks ago I've trying to see a movie every time I have nothing else to do, so if you have any recommendation what I should see, I'm here to listen you guys.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/17/2012, 10:43 am

paulopf wrote:Hm. So I know The Hunger Games has been discussed on another thread, which I will find soon, yet, since this section for movies is here (at least til now XD), and I went to watch it tonight, I wanna say I really enjoy it. To my surprise. I don't know the books and I usually don't enjoy all that much those so called "young adult" books. For instance, I might be one of the very few people from my generation that can't really understand all the buzz around Harry Potter. I just read the first book, I should clarify, though.
It's not like I don't understand it but I am definitely not concerned by it. I have watched most of the HP movies but for me they're just entertainment to be forgotten right away after the viewing. Except maybe the CGI, I don't see what they have to be so special.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/17/2012, 11:10 am

But, the thing about Harry Potter isn't about the movies but the books. They may be advertised as kids books, but they cover every major topic or event that a person faces in life. And strangely enough, JKR has always said that the main topic of HP has always been death and love. How people face death, how they grieve for those who died and how they come to terms with their own mortality. One of the more famous quotes from it is when Dumbledore and Voldemort face each other

“You do not seek to kill me, Dumbledore?... Above such brutality, are you?”

“We both know there are other ways of destroying a man, Tom,…Merely taking your life would not satisfy me, I admit—”

“There is nothing worse than death, Dumbledore!”

“You are quite wrong,…Indeed, your failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness—”
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/17/2012, 11:13 am

tanita_mors wrote:But, the thing about Harry Potter isn't about the movies but the books. They may be advertised as kids books, but they cover every major topic or event that a person faces in life. And strangely enough, JKR has always said that the main topic of HP has always been death and love. How people face death, how they grieve for those who died and how they come to terms with their own mortality. One of the more famous quotes from it is when Dumbledore and Voldemort face each other

“We both know there are other ways of destroying a man, Tom,…Merely taking your life would not satisfy me, I admit—”

“You are quite wrong,…Indeed, your failure to understand that there are things much worse than death has always been your greatest weakness—”

Tanita neutre You really understand me. Movies doesnt's reflect how harry potter books really are, all of them have a more importante message behind.

I know is shallow thing but I never understand why Peeves wasn't included.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/17/2012, 11:26 am

I know is shallow thing but I never understand why Peeves wasn't included.
Well he was a very minor character, thus expendable.

I love the movies, but I would have never red the books or seen the movies if Alan Rickman wasn't in them. Huge fan right here. banzai panik bounce I actually saw the first 2 films first, got hooked and the red the novels. And a fact is, the novel is always better then the movie, unless you completely change it.

For example - True Blood is based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels - which I shamefully will confess I read blushh. While the general premise is the same as is the basic plot-line of each book and most of the characters, reading the books will not make you fully prepared for the show. There is enough difference and change for it to be interesting and I really enjoy the show.

Not bad to look at at all. fufufu

Movies reviews by yourself Alexander-skarsgard-20100127-559819
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/17/2012, 11:52 am

Who is this meaty man?
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/17/2012, 12:05 pm

tanita_mors wrote:But, the thing about Harry Potter isn't about the movies but the books. They may be advertised as kids books, but they cover every major topic or event that a person faces in life. And strangely enough, JKR has always said that the main topic of HP has always been death and love. How people face death, how they grieve for those who died and how they come to terms with their own mortality. One of the more famous quotes from it is when Dumbledore and Voldemort face each other

Exactly: Harry Potter is all about the books, not the movies.
Although I enjoyed watching the movies too, especially because of Alan Rickman. And I always knew Snape was a good guy!!! I remember my husband and I fighting over it a couple of times (before we read book 7), because he would not believe that Snape could ever be redeemed for hating Harry. :(

The same goes for Tolkien: I love the movies, but the books are much better.

The Britisch movies of Jane Austen are also very good (Sense and Sensibility with Alan Rickman wub ), and the Pride and Prejudice series with Colin Firth is almost word for word the same as the book. Love that series.

There's only one book so far in which I found the movie better than the book, and that's 'Inkheart', written by Cornelia Funke. I disliked reading the book, but enjoyed the movie.

And is this supposed to go in the book or the movie thread? blinkk
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/17/2012, 1:04 pm

fantastica wrote:Who is this meaty man?
Alexander Skarsgård - he plays Eric Northman, sheriff of area 5 of Louisiana on True Blood and is IMO the hottest/most beautiful/sexiest/best looking man on the planet.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/17/2012, 1:10 pm

Glorfindel wrote:

The Britisch movies of Jane Austen are also very good (Sense and Sensibility with Alan Rickman wub ), and the Pride and Prejudice series with Colin Firth is almost word for word the same as the book. Love that series.

There's only one book so far in which I found the movie better than the book, and that's 'Inkheart', written by Cornelia Funke. I disliked reading the book, but enjoyed the movie.

And is this supposed to go in the book or the movie thread? blinkk
I have to disagree about LOTR. While I love the books, I hate Tolkien's descriptive style. It goes on and on and on. I found it a chore reading throw it and not a pleasure. That is a bad thing. The movies are just brilliant and fantastic.

Sense and Sensibility is a fantastic adaptation as is the Pride and Prejudice 1995 mini series. But I love it so much, that I have the 2004 movie and the 1980 mini series as well. But no one beats Collin Firth and Jennifer Ehle. Perfection.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sani 4/17/2012, 1:20 pm

tanita_mors wrote:
Glorfindel wrote:
I have to disagree about LOTR. While I love the books, I hate Tolkien's descriptive style. It goes on and on and on. I found it a chore reading throw it and not a pleasure. That is a bad thing. The movies are just brilliant and fantastic.
I also prefered the books, but that might be because i've never read them in English. I might give it a try. fanny2
Sani
Sani
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/17/2012, 1:46 pm

I love the harry potter books, but only "meh" w/ the movie (I do love the CG rendering of castles etc. because I love gothic architechture. the magic of hte book to me is not only the story telling, but the description of this wonderous world - not only the description of the physical objects and surroundings, but detailed description of rules and procedures and crafts of this world. u see when I was young I used to play games w/ my cousins in which I came up w/ fictional environments and create characters to occupy it. one such environment is a dream school, in which students would live in it most of the year (sounds like Hogwarts isn't it??), and I would come up w/ a "kit" that every student will get that contain all the essentials for school and living - I love making lists, even the complete useless types like this. anyway back to some movies adapted from novels - movies always focus on the action, while books can take you to a different dimension w/ those description of things that's very intriging but never show up well visually. I absolutely love Jules Verns trilogy, especially the third one Mystery Island in which the scentist/engineer will devise all kinds of ways to build a comfortable retreat in a remote island. using vast amount of scientific knowledge that I doubt a real enginner will necessarily amass, the fictional characters mined iron, build rudimentary batteries, build lift system to their cave house, published newspaper... as a child I was so fascinated by it I imagined being on a remote island as such a great advanture (in reality I would probably jump off the cliff to end my misery of loniless and lack of basic amenities). When I saw movie adaption of the books I almost threw up. Most of hte novels is devoted to the things I love - the description of how these men survive on the remote island using scientific knowledge, but this is totally missing in the movie - the movie only focused on the action/adventure/conflict w/ others and it's really really boring. if the books are 9 stars for me the movie adaptions are 1 star at most.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/17/2012, 6:05 pm

tanita_mors wrote:But, the thing about Harry Potter isn't about the movies but the books.”

I can understand this, yet, when I read the first book, it was fun, but nothing else. I remember, after finishing the first one, I got this impression of an attempt to over victimize the main character and to make everything about the fictional universe about him, so I never went for the rest of the books. I won't deny, though, that perhaps it's true I'm missing a lot by not reading them.

tanita_mors wrote: I have to disagree about LOTR. While I love the books, I hate Tolkien's descriptive style. It goes on and on and on. I found it a chore reading throw it and not a pleasure. That is a bad thing. The movies are just brilliant and fantastic.

Tolkien was replicating the classical epic style. But, yes, for contemporary readers like us, said style can get tiresome. I remember, at times, the digressions and the amount of "and, and, and, and"(that procedure has a name, but I can't remember it now), both done to capture the epic tone, annoyed me and seemed forced to me. Yet, I think the books are superior to the movies and explore Middle Earth in a detail and depth that the movies, as great as they are, couldn't capture. It's like the movies tell me, in a very artistic manner, the story of the ring, his bearer and the consequences for Middle Earth of said event, while the books bring Tolkien's universe alive.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/17/2012, 9:40 pm

tanita_mors wrote:

For example - True Blood is based on the Sookie Stackhouse novels - which I shamefully will confess I read blushh. While the general premise is the same as is the basic plot-line of each book and most of the characters, reading the books will not make you fully prepared for the show. There is enough difference and change for it to be interesting and I really enjoy the show.

Not bad to look at at all. fufufu

Movies reviews by yourself Alexander-skarsgard-20100127-559819

OMG Tanita that man is HOT blushh Thanks for the pic gurl.

You know I haven't read the books of true blood (yet) but a friend of mine has and she loves them, so I know everything because of her or the few details she tell me.

Glorfindel wrote:
Exactly: Harry Potter is all about the books, not the movies.
Although I enjoyed watching the movies too, especially because of Alan Rickman. And I always knew Snape was a good guy!!! I remember my husband and I fighting over it a couple of times (before we read book 7), because he would not believe that Snape could ever be redeemed for hating Harry. :(

Another one for Sevy's club! Snape is one of my favorite characters from HP by far because behind that dark aspect and sarcastic personality was a man who was suffered so much and how Alan Rickman played the character in the movies only help to increase the number of supporters wub

First I have to say that I have a weak point for Colin Firth, I don't care he's old enough to be my dad so I'm not very objective when's about him BUT I can't deny that 1995 version is not only one my favorite one but also is well done; actually I wanna see it again right now.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/18/2012, 1:41 am

Today I went to see Clash of the Titans 2. Let me tell you, guys, I love movies with fights and superpowers and all that stuff, but I need to make a public service announcement here: do not waste your time. Even Saturday Night Gleever was less boring than that movie. Save your money and save your time. It sucked and not in the good way.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/18/2012, 1:44 am

thanks paulo. now let's see your review of SNG. fanny2
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/18/2012, 1:47 am

fantastica wrote:thanks paulo. now let's see your review of SNG. fanny2

Quick and easy: it sucked too and it was boring, except for Kurt's fragments, which I have yet to see again from a download and not a crappy, jumpy live stream. But, yeah, it was less boring than Clash of the Titans 2.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/18/2012, 1:49 am

^ talk about it in the episode discussion thread when you get a chance. neutre
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/18/2012, 1:51 am

^I will. I just needed to get out of my chest, again, how boring and awful was Clash of the Titans 2. It was boring and awful. I feel robbed and lied to cause after the previous one I didn't think they could do worse.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/18/2012, 1:56 am

i once went to a download site, and I saw a movie (don't remember what it is) in the popular list has like 1 or 2 rating out of 10. the rating is so low that everybody is curious just how bad it can be, and many went to downlaod and watch. Razz The comment section is full of "I am curious how a 1 or 2 rated movie is like" and the more aweful people says it is more people want to see for themselves exactly how bad it is. talking about human psychology! I was smart enough to not download it though, but I enjoyed reading those hundreds of comments.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/18/2012, 2:00 am

fantastica wrote:i once went to a download site, and I saw a movie (don't remember what it is) in the popular list has like 1 or 2 rating out of 10. the rating is so low that everybody is curious just how bad it can be, and many went to downlaod and watch. Razz The comment section is full of "I am curious how a 1 or 2 rated movie is like" and the more aweful people says it is more people want to see for themselves exactly how bad it is. talking about human psychology! I was smart enough to not download it though, but I enjoyed reading those hundreds of comments.

Oh no! Please, please, be as smart as you usually are and don't watch this crap. It sucks!
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 17 1, 2, 3 ... 9 ... 17  Next