Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

+29
sheny
coxfire
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
opals
Ranwing
Adamina
red texta
Buenos
Struck by Lightning
Divalicious
emilynna
kac
fountain
Glorfindel
fantastica
Catt24
Emile
tanita_mors
Delight
arina
CloveGlee
sahhar
dap1217
ColferInspired
paulopf
brisallie
Jellyrolls
Shinra17
33 posters

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next

Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread Empty [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  Shinra17 4/21/2012, 3:03 pm

Since SBL will be publicly shown today, from now on, we can expect spoilers to be mentionned in reviews and interviews. Moreover, since we are all from different locations in the world, we will probably get to see this movie at very different times (tonight for some lucky bitches members Mad ), so there's no way to decide of a date when people can be considered to have seen it.

To make things simple and to avoid people who have already watched it having to discuss it by pm between them, all media reviews and members reviews containing spoilers will come in this thread. Idem for all the spoilerish stuff in any form (pics, tweets, etc.) and of course, discussions don't have to be spoiler-free here.
Non-spoilerish reviews by members and stuff can continue to be posted in the regular SBL thread.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread Empty Re: [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  Jellyrolls 4/22/2012, 12:02 am

OK, as promised, here are some of my thoughts on SBL:

After seeing the preview, I was afraid that all of the funny lines were in the lengthy preview, but there were a lot more funny moments. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much during a movie. Of course, Carson had most of the best lines in the movie, but most of the characters had some funny one liners as well.

Chris was, of course, flawless. He had perfect timing and delivery on all of his lines. His facial expressions were of course stunningly perfect throughout the film. As we all know from the preview, Carson is quite different from Kurt, and I have to say that watching this movie, I didn't once think of Chris or Kurt--it was always Carson. Chris also had a couple of powerful soliloquys in the movie that were intense and moving. Let's just say that the naysayers who think that Chris can only be the gay kid on glee will be shown that Chris is more than just Kurt.

Alison Janney was fantastic. She really had a great screen presence with Chris. At times, I loved her character, and at times I hated her. I hadn't read too much about the character before seeing the film, so I didn't realize how complex she was, nor how complex the mother/son relationship would be.

And speaking of the mother/son relationship, I will say that I didn't expect that the film would delve so deeply into Carson's relationship with his family. It was heartbreaking at times, and touching at other times. The family relationship added drama to the movie, and nicely balanced out the comedy. I think Chris would do very well writing a drama someday. The family stuff added another complex layer to Carson that made him more than just a kid trying to blackmail his friends.

I also liked Dermot Mulroney in the film, though his character was a bit of an ass.

As for the other students, I wasn't really impressed or unimpressed by any of them. None of them really stood out to me, but they all did a good job of enhancing Carson's storyline. I have to say that I was expecting more out of Rebel Wilson/Malarie based on the preview, but most of the best Malarie stuff appeared in the preview so the character didn't end up being as memorable for me as I had thought it would be.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie, and it was really cool being there for the world premiere. I will definitely see it again when it gets a wide release--I think it's the type of movie that you would better appreciate after seeing it a couple of times so that you fully aborb it's greatness.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread Empty Re: [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread

Post  brisallie 4/22/2012, 12:40 am

Thanks for your review Jelly without giving any huge spoiler. About Carson's mom I read she is an addict to painkillers so that gave me an idea how she's gonna be. I like the fact they develop the plot mother/son because is been a while since I haven't seen that in a movie so I'm quite interested in that, besides Allison Janney is such a good actress and I'm sure Chris is going to be flawless.

I don't gonna go further with my questions because I know you're not the kind of person who will give more meticulous details-at least I blackmail you but I don't know any dirty secret of you- so just I wanna know How long is the movie?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 4/22/2012, 2:01 am

Jellyrolls wrote:OK, as promised, here are some of my thoughts on SBL:

After seeing the preview, I was afraid that all of the funny lines were in the lengthy preview, but there were a lot more funny moments. As a matter of fact, I can't remember the last time I laughed so much during a movie. Of course, Carson had most of the best lines in the movie, but most of the characters had some funny one liners as well.

Chris was, of course, flawless. He had perfect timing and delivery on all of his lines. His facial expressions were of course stunningly perfect throughout the film. As we all know from the preview, Carson is quite different from Kurt, and I have to say that watching this movie, I didn't once think of Chris or Kurt--it was always Carson. Chris also had a couple of powerful soliloquys in the movie that were intense and moving. Let's just say that the naysayers who think that Chris can only be the gay kid on glee will be shown that Chris is more than just Kurt.

Alison Janney was fantastic. She really had a great screen presence with Chris. At times, I loved her character, and at times I hated her. I hadn't read too much about the character before seeing the film, so I didn't realize how complex she was, nor how complex the mother/son relationship would be.

And speaking of the mother/son relationship, I will say that I didn't expect that the film would delve so deeply into Carson's relationship with his family. It was heartbreaking at times, and touching at other times. The family relationship added drama to the movie, and nicely balanced out the comedy. I think Chris would do very well writing a drama someday. The family stuff added another complex layer to Carson that made him more than just a kid trying to blackmail his friends.

I also liked Dermot Mulroney in the film, though his character was a bit of an ass.

As for the other students, I wasn't really impressed or unimpressed by any of them. None of them really stood out to me, but they all did a good job of enhancing Carson's storyline. I have to say that I was expecting more out of Rebel Wilson/Malarie based on the preview, but most of the best Malarie stuff appeared in the preview so the character didn't end up being as memorable for me as I had thought it would be.

Overall, I really enjoyed the movie, and it was really cool being there for the world premiere. I will definitely see it again when it gets a wide release--I think it's the type of movie that you would better appreciate after seeing it a couple of times so that you fully aborb it's greatness.

This makes me wish I could see the movie now.

And a reviewer from Forbes (though he got Chris's last name wrong) is comparing it to Juno and Napoleon Dynamite. This film is a hit.

I love the sound of the mother and son relationship. This is so unlike any movie I have ever seen.

I don't want to be too spoiled. This movie is one thing I want to wait until I see it, and not know everything about it, so I am being careful which tab I go into on tumblr or anyone else on the net.

Some are revealing spoilers on tumblr but at least they are warning people first. I wish they wouldn't reveal anything.

And Darren stans. This has nothing to do with him. This is Chris's day, his success. Not Darren's. [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 3181402168
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  dap1217 4/22/2012, 2:10 am

A spoiler-free review of ‘Struck By Lightning’

‘Struck By Lightning’ manages to be exactly what it is qualified to be while exceeding all my expectations. Sure the crowd was biased, sure we wanted, needed, to love it, sure it’s a small-budget, greenly written, coming-of-age fringe film. But it is a good one. A brilliant one, even. And I don’t think I am biased on that assessment.

It is not a blockbuster and it’s never going to be. It’s not one of those movies that is pitched as small but ends up playing all the main cinemas and making a bucket of money like ‘Juno’. Although I suspect it will end up playing everywhere with the hype it has and make more money than anyone dares to imagine.

Because it was show on a small budget and a three-week shoot and that shows in the production quality. Not in a bad way, just in a very raw, honest way. There’s no special affects, the camera tilts, the lighting and sound is as much an effect of the environment as technology and the acting, makeup and wardrobe speaks of fast, quick filming.

It’s not particularly polished in that Hollywood style so that every line is delivered with practiced breathing, practiced tone, practiced body language. But the actors seem to have inhabited their characters so well that it doesn’t matter.

All of this in a good way.

The story is what we know it to be. There are no real surprises though on two occasions ‘twists’ made the audience gasp. The movie was predictable. Which is brilliant because, as has been said, that makes it very difficult to spoil.

So where did it exceed expectations (And remember mine were high: I flew into NYC from Frankfurt for a weekend basically for this)? For me there were three clears areas of brilliance: Chris Colfer’s acting and the script were even better than expected. And the depth of the narrative.

Beginning with the last point: the narrative itself. It was adult. Chris is 21 and this has played around in his head for years and so I expected a very straight-forward coming-of-age story. I expected ‘Mean Girls’ but with more snark and direction and less girl-troubles. Which is what the movie was. But then you had the peripheral story arcs of Carson’s grandmother and his parents and these characters feel like they’ve been written by someone who has been through it all, who understands long term, grown up relationships and life and death and heartbreak and, as much as I think Chris is wonderful and intelligent, I didn’t realize he’d be able to make me relate and empathize and ache over characters beyond both him and myself in their years and their hardships. But he did. God knows how. Perhaps someone should ask him how he does that.

His script. Oh his script. I wondered, going in, if all the best lines were in the trailers. I suspected they would be because that happens and that’s fine because the trailers are funny. But dozens of one-liners have been saved for the movie itself. Line after line after line of sass and word-play: Chris has infused this story with his own witty personality and it shines through so brilliantly in Carson’s hundred shades of snark.

And lastly Chris Colfer’s acting. I realized on the bus ride home from dinner some four hours after the end of the movie itself that no one had brought up the inevitable comparison between Kurt and Chris. Because there is just no comparison to be made. It would be like comparing Shrek with Hamlet. They are just worlds apart and need no comparison, really, beyond the extraordinary fact that one single actor has inhabited them both and kept them completely separate. Completely. There was no grey area, no obvious mannerism, where you could look at Carson and see a bit of Kurt and when I next see Kurt on the screen there will be no trace of Carson. There is Chris in both of them, most certainly, but his acting has just blown this out of the park and critics will struggle from here on in to accuse him of just playing himself when he acts.

I could go on and on. But I want to keep this short and get it posted. This way, one day, I can look back and read my very first impression of the very first public screening of Chris Colfer’s very first movie. When he’s being presented with a ‘Hall of Fame’ award in fifty years and whoever is presenting (and after tonight I can’t help but imagine it being Emma Watson) talks about his scripts, his acting and his stories I want to be able to read this and know damn well I was there at the very beginning.

http://doonarose.tumblr.com/post/21552312052

This is really well written,not like the media one above which mispelling his name.
dap1217
dap1217
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar 4/22/2012, 2:25 am

I'm so happy there's a thread like this Smile . I really don't know when I'll ever watch the movie and spoilers never spoil a movie for me.

For anyone who's seen it, can you elaborate more on Chris's acting?, and his mannerisms, body language etc?

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 4/22/2012, 2:42 am

I have only one word right now.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And Darren stans. This has nothing to do with him. This is Chris's day, his success. Not Darren's.

Who is this "Darren" you speak of? I do not believe he is in this movie.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 4/22/2012, 2:52 am

CloveGlee wrote:I have only one word right now.

EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!

And Darren stans. This has nothing to do with him. This is Chris's day, his success. Not Darren's.

[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 3429310274 [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 3429310274 [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 3429310274 [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 2641883990 [Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 2641883990
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar 4/22/2012, 2:54 am

CloveGlee wrote:I have only one word right now.

Preach.

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/22/2012, 3:29 am

From Klaine forum (from Darcy)

I was fortunate enough to see the world premiere of SBL tonight.
When I arrived at the theater around 3:30 pm there were two lines - one for ticketholders and one for people without tickets hoping to get in (and that line was pretty dang long - I hope most of them were able to get in although they said it was a sold-out - I think they usually hold some tickets for a "rush" type of thing).

It was mostly females in line - but there were still plenty of men too of course and it was nice that they all weren't so young. At his New Yorker event it seemed like there were a lot more teens. When Chris arrived I heard a lot of comments about how gorgeous he is. But of course! We were fortunate enough to get a seat close to the front. When we went to the ladies room we saw Chris on the press red carpet. Back at our seats, we saw Ashley and Amber sitting next to each other in the first row of the second tier (we were at the front so couldn't see them too closely but they are of course easily identifiable). Chris and Brian came out to briefly speak to the audience and the film started around 6:10 and ended about 7:35 plus credits for about a 90 minute film.

I enjoyed all the performances - Christina Hendricks was one of my favorites and of course Chris was fantastic. It's very hard to know what to say without giving away too much. The film had a lot of funny lines but in a very cynical, sarcastic vein rather than a fun or lighthearted way. It was a little dark (nasty/cynical) and depressing for me because I like more lighthearted things but it doesn't mean I didn't thoroughly enjoy the film. There were a couple of things that happened near and at the end that were sad / depressing (although one thing you could see coming from an earlier scene). I'll just say I cried toward the end.

Chris and Brian came out with the some of the cast and producers and answered questions for about 15 minutes - all the questions were for Chris except a couple which were answered by Brian and the producers and I'm sure the video will be up shortly if not already! I didn't even know that Emma Watson asked the last question until someone told me later.

Chris was great - he had a couple of big speeches. He was not like Kurt at all and you wouldn't even think of Kurt while watching this movie.

Well I feel like I'm rambling now and it's late. If anyone has any questions let me know.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/22/2012, 4:25 am

Yes, I've succumbed to temptation and sneaked into this forum. Embarassed

Thanks Jellyrolls, for taking the time to type out the review; and I like how you've left the movie pretty much unspoiled while making me more excited about watching the movie.

I quite like the other two fan reviews posted as well. Everyone seems to agree on one thing though-- there is no trace of Kurt in Carson. I used to think that it's almost fantasy, the thought that one actor can transform himself so completely to fully embody a different character for a movie or TV show. However, it looks like that is the case for Chris.

I'm more proud of him now, for being brave enough to turn down offers that would have him typecasted, and for being smart enough to write a movie role for himself that would stretch his acting muscles and show the world what he can really do.

And it's still a fraction of what Chris could do, people. There is still that role of mentally unstable person in his second movie.

Chris is going to make it big this year, and it will hardly have anything to do with Glee (At long last!).
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 4/22/2012, 4:51 am

Delight wrote:Yes, I've succumbed to temptation and sneaked into this forum. Embarassed

Thanks Jellyrolls, for taking the time to type out the review; and I like how you've left the movie pretty much unspoiled while making me more excited about watching the movie.

I quite like the other two fan reviews posted as well. Everyone seems to agree on one thing though-- there is no trace of Kurt in Carson. I used to think that it's almost fantasy, the thought that one actor can transform himself so completely to fully embody a different character for a movie or TV show. However, it looks like that is the case for Chris.

I'm more proud of him now, for being brave enough to turn down offers that would have him typecasted, and for being smart enough to write a movie role for himself that would stretch his acting muscles and show the world what he can really do.

And it's still a fraction of what Chris could do, people. There is still that role of mentally unstable person in his second movie.

Chris is going to make it big this year, and it will hardly have anything to do with Glee (At long last!).

Preach.[Spoiler Alert] Struck by Lightning POST-WATCHING Discussion and Reviews Thread 3498837457
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/22/2012, 6:36 am

Thx Karen for the review, I still don't want to believe that you have actually seen it Mad lol

brisallie wrote:-at least I blackmail you but I don't know any dirty secret of you-
Razz

paulopf wrote:I'm really angry at the misspelling of his name. :angry:
Thx for the links ^^. The mispelling is only in the link, right? If it was also in the article, it has been corrected then. The 2 reviews are positive, it's a good start and both of them are already anticipate a bright future for Chris wub .

All of the questions from the audience were directed to Colfer by “Glee” maniacs, which is too bad.
dryy
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/22/2012, 6:47 am

Shinra17 wrote:Thx Karen for the review, I still don't want to believe that you have actually seen it Mad lol

brisallie wrote:-at least I blackmail you but I don't know any dirty secret of you-
Razz

paulopf wrote:I'm really angry at the misspelling of his name. :angry:
Thx for the links ^^. The mispelling is only in the link, right? If it was also in the article, it has been corrected then.
It was really mentioned even in the article few times before... Good they corrrected it.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/22/2012, 7:09 am

Struck By Lightning Recap
Without spoilers.

First and foremost, I want to say how incredibly grateful I am to have had the opportunity to go the Tribeca Film Festival to see Struck By Lightning. I’m grateful I live an hour away from NYC by train, and that I had the means to get into the city to go. I realize not everyone was fortunate like my friends and I were to go, and for that reason, this recap will be completely spoiler-free (with perhaps the exception of referencing scenes in the trailer). I want everyone to experience Struck By Lightning firsthand. Even if I wanted to spoil it for you, I couldn’t. It’s a movie unlike anything I’ve seen before, and I truly think it’s a unique experience for each person. Your viewing of it will probably be very different than mine, but I would never want to spoil any of the plot for anyone. So here we go.

After getting on the train (and spotting a Mike O’Malley/Burt Hummel look-alike as a transit officer!) and getting to Penn Station, my friends and I headed to Chambers Street where the movie screening was. We had a mini mishap on the subway getting there, but fortunately we didn’t die. My friends and I got to the theater at about 4 o’clock, and there was already a line, but not too terrible. We ended up in basically the same spot for around an hour. My friends played Uno, I just sat and took in the scenery and the energy and eavesdropped on conversations. The usual. The line started to grow, and there was a mix of a lot of people; fans who were obviously there for Chris, Glee/StarKid fans, random moviegoers, and your typical “film festival” people. The one thing we all had in common, though, was the really excited, positive energy towards this movie. I overhead one guy who I believe was security say something to the effect of never seeing a line like that for a movie before. I thought that was pretty cool.

At one point, Chris showed up, but we were too far back to see. One of the Festival staff said he was going to come down the line, but then she said he had to go inside to do press and stuff, because he never made it back to us. No big deal. One thing I have to commend the staff on is their organization. There wasn’t crowding or shoving or cutting. Everything happened very smoothly. I think it was a mix of the Festival’s organization as well as the fact that the crowd at the theater wasn’t, like, your typical rowdy fangirl bunch. Everyone was very respectful and composed.

Inside they scanned your ticket and gave you a ballot and some other ticket-like thing. The ballot was to vote for your rating of the film after it was over with the intent of giving the film with the highest score $25,000 courtesy of some sponsor. The ticket-like thing I believe was supposed to tell you where you sat. Ours had orange stickers on them, so we were on the balcony on the right-hand side. We could see out over basically the entire theater, and all the seats are on an incline, so you can see well over everyone.

We spotted Ashley Fink and Amber Riley (bad-quality pictures to come of Ashley; I couldn’t get any of Amber). They were sitting in the section next to us. I’m so glad they came out to support him.

One of the Festival staff came out and welcomed everyone to the premiere of the film, and announced Chris Colfer and Brian Dannelly. It was pretty epic. Chris came out, looking gorgeous as ever, and he seemed nervous. As Kaitlyn pointed out, Chris takes on this adorable pseudo-Southern accent when he gets nervous. They made it short and sweet - they thanked everyone for coming, and then it began.

The movie itself is exactly what I expected it to be, and exceeded my expectations. We can all tell from the trailer that the humor is not your typical high school raunchy comedy. It’s witty and smart, with some wonderful one-liners by multiple characters. Chris was phenomenal in his role. This film, without a doubt in my mind, will prove that he cannot be typecast as a flamboyant gay kid. Carson is the opposite of Kurt, Chris has said so himself. And you could just tell from watching the movie that Chris truly put his whole heart and soul into the film.

There is one moment in the film that is particularly poignant to me, as a fellow writer. All I will say is that Chris is clearly born to write. Obviously he can act and sing and is incredibly versatile, but the fact that Chris could weave together such an incredible script, and execute it with such perfection, beyond impresses and inspires me. Like I said, look for a moment in the film when Carson delivers a really nice soliloquy. I think it is my favorite part of the whole film.

I was good through the whole movie. I laughed a lot, managed not to cry, but then… The credits.

Writer
Chris Colfer

And I nearly lost it. Just seeing his name up there as the writer, to thunderous applause… I have never been prouder of him, or more thankful to be a part of such a wonderful moment for him. He absolutely deserves it.

After the film, there was a short Q & A session. I won’t go into details, because I’m sure you can find a video of it somewhere by now. However, there was a moment that I will touch on, just because it was so funny.

Towards the end of the Q & A, the microphone was given off to a girl sitting in the back of the middle of the seats on the ground floor. She started talking, and I realized she was British. My first thought was, “Hm, a British girl. That’s cool.” Then, literally just as I was thinking it, Kaitlyn next to me went, “Is that Emma Watson?”

It was.

How fucking cool is that? Emma Watson was there, complimented Chris’s movie, and Chris was adorable when he asked if he knew her from somewhere. It was a really cool moment, for everyone in the audience and I’m sure Chris as well.

Chris was incredibly humble, reiterating much of what we’ve already heard him say about the film so far. You can tell how much work he put into it, and it paid off. The final product was astounding.

Needless to say, when I gave the Festival staff my ballot, I gave it the highest possible score, because it deserved it. Everything that was promised to us was delivered tenfold. Chris has an incredible piece of work that he should be proud of. I know I certainly am.

There is nothing quite like being in the presence of Chris Colfer. I am inspired by him and admire him so much, and he is exactly as he seems on TV and in interviews: humble, sweet, and funny. And gorgeous. We cannot forget gorgeous.

He is a legitimate talent, a force to be reckoned with. Chris embodies what so many young people hope for; an outcast who succeeded. Only Chris has more than succeeded. He kicked ass and took names. He said a huge “Fuck you” to Clovis. In the process, he won.

I cannot wait for SBL to get a widespread release. I will absolutely go see it again, though I don’t think it will quite compare to seeing it with Chris Colfer (and also Emma Watson, Ashley Fink, Amber Riley, and the rest of the SBL cast and crew). I strongly encourage you to see it. If you’re a fan of Chris, or just like a good story with well-written characters, and maybe some witty humor thrown in, then Struck By Lightning is absolutely for you.

If you are a writer, like me, then there is a message for you in SBL that might not be felt so strongly by non-writers. If you see the film, you’ll understand. I promise.

I can honestly say that Struck By Lightning is one of my new favorite films, and I am not saying that as a biased Chris Colfer fan. I am saying it because it’s just damn good. I had been a fan of Saved!, another movie Brian Dannelly directed, so I was sort of familiar with his work, and had high expectations of this movie because I knew what he was capable of. Couple that with how I knew Chris would put together something incredible, I wasn’t worried about the quality of this film.

I’m thankful the audience was so respectful and the energy towards Chris was so positive. Everyone there was there to support Chris, and it was a really emotional experience for everyone who had the good fortune to be there.

If you get the chance, go see Struck By Lightning. It’s everything I expected and hoped it would be, and more. Never, ever underestimate Chris Colfer.

(Sidenote: I don’t drink Diet Coke, but I took one of the free bottles they were handing out at the end of the movie as a souvenir. You know Chris took all the excess ones home with him. :D)
http://vimaro22.tumblr.com/post/21556002793
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 4/22/2012, 7:21 am

very spoilerish: I have white-fonted the spoilerish part, highlight it with the cursor if you really want to read it.

Review:
Colfer is certainly very talented, as I have heard "Glee"-fans tell me. He is a very funny performer, and his script is hilarious and smart.
Colfer plays Carson, a high school senior struck by a bolt of lightning and killed. That's how the story begins, with Carson dying. We are then sent to his life in high school and how he ended up getting struck by lightning.
Carson's main goal in this film is to get into SouthWestern, and he decides to publish a literary magazine in order to make him look better, on top of already being the editor of the newspaper and president of the writing club. In order to get any submissions for the magazine, Carson has to blackmail people.
His parents divorce left his mother Sheryl (Allison Janney) a mess. His father Neal (Dermot Mulroney) is engaged to a pregnant pharmacist April (Christina Hendricks), who Sheryl meets at the pharmacy filling her prescriptions. At school, his classmates include his only friend Malerie (Rebel Wilson) and the bitchy cheerleader Claire Mathews (Sarah Hyland).

The humor in this movie is very original; it feels like not a lot of it has been done before. Aside of being soley funny, I felt like this was one of the more realistic high school films (although no movie will ever be 100% realistic in terms of high school). The characters were all relatable to people I know.
In such an amazing cast, Colfer was definitely a standout. He was funny and self-aware as a high school student in over his head.
When this movie is released in theaters, I recommend it. Teenagers are not the only age group who will enjoy this movie.

Rating: 4.5/5

Moviestveverything.blogspot
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/22/2012, 7:45 am

tanita_mors wrote:
The movie itself is exactly what I expected it to be, and exceeded my expectations. We can all tell from the trailer that the humor is not your typical high school raunchy comedy. It’s witty and smart, with some wonderful one-liners by multiple characters. Chris was phenomenal in his role. This film, without a doubt in my mind, will prove that he cannot be typecast as a flamboyant gay kid. Carson is the opposite of Kurt, Chris has said so himself. And you could just tell from watching the movie that Chris truly put his whole heart and soul into the film.

There is one moment in the film that is particularly poignant to me, as a fellow writer. All I will say is that Chris is clearly born to write. Obviously he can act and sing and is incredibly versatile, but the fact that Chris could weave together such an incredible script, and execute it with such perfection, beyond impresses and inspires me. Like I said, look for a moment in the film when Carson delivers a really nice soliloquy. I think it is my favorite part of the whole film.

I was good through the whole movie. I laughed a lot, managed not to cry, but then… The credits.

Writer
Chris Colfer

And I nearly lost it. Just seeing his name up there as the writer, to thunderous applause… I have never been prouder of him, or more thankful to be a part of such a wonderful moment for him. He absolutely deserves it.

[...]

Chris was incredibly humble, reiterating much of what we’ve already heard him say about the film so far. You can tell how much work he put into it, and it paid off. The final product was astounding.

Needless to say, when I gave the Festival staff my ballot, I gave it the highest possible score, because it deserved it. Everything that was promised to us was delivered tenfold. Chris has an incredible piece of work that he should be proud of. I know I certainly am.

There is nothing quite like being in the presence of Chris Colfer. I am inspired by him and admire him so much, and he is exactly as he seems on TV and in interviews: humble, sweet, and funny. And gorgeous. We cannot forget gorgeous.

He is a legitimate talent, a force to be reckoned with. Chris embodies what so many young people hope for; an outcast who succeeded. Only Chris has more than succeeded. He kicked ass and took names. He said a huge “Fuck you” to Clovis. In the process, he won.

I cannot wait for SBL to get a widespread release. I will absolutely go see it again, though I don’t think it will quite compare to seeing it with Chris Colfer (and also Emma Watson, Ashley Fink, Amber Riley, and the rest of the SBL cast and crew). I strongly encourage you to see it. If you’re a fan of Chris, or just like a good story with well-written characters, and maybe some witty humor thrown in, then Struck By Lightning is absolutely for you.

If you are a writer, like me, then there is a message for you in SBL that might not be felt so strongly by non-writers. If you see the film, you’ll understand. I promise.

I can honestly say that Struck By Lightning is one of my new favorite films, and I am not saying that as a biased Chris Colfer fan. I am saying it because it’s just damn good. I had been a fan of Saved!, another movie Brian Dannelly directed, so I was sort of familiar with his work, and had high expectations of this movie because I knew what he was capable of. Couple that with how I knew Chris would put together something incredible, I wasn’t worried about the quality of this film.

I’m thankful the audience was so respectful and the energy towards Chris was so positive. Everyone there was there to support Chris, and it was a really emotional experience for everyone who had the good fortune to be there.

If you get the chance, go see Struck By Lightning. It’s everything I expected and hoped it would be, and more. Never, ever underestimate Chris Colfer.
http://vimaro22.tumblr.com/post/21556002793
Love this review!

Writer
Chris Colfer

And I nearly lost it.
^Oh God, this will probably be me. crycry
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 4/22/2012, 8:21 am

@brisallie, as one of the reviewers said, it was just about 90 minutes long.

One random thing that is kind of spoilerish, but not really. In the part where he is talking to the guidance counselor (it was in the preview) when he is saying what publications he wants to write for, he says he wants to be published in the Boston Herald. Well, Chris knows absolutely nothing about Boston newspapers because the Boston Herald is a tabloid gossipy paper geared towards the working class. He should have said Boston Globe, which is the Boston version of the New York Times. It made me giggle anyways.

Also, at one point, I got really distracted because I noticed the outline of the undershirt under his sweater and shirt (yes, I could see the undershirt under two layers of clothes, hehe.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/22/2012, 9:06 am

Jellyrolls wrote:@brisallie, as one of the reviewers said, it was just about 90 minutes long.

One random thing that is kind of spoilerish, but not really. In the part where he is talking to the guidance counselor (it was in the preview) when he is saying what publications he wants to write for, he says he wants to be published in the Boston Herald. Well, Chris knows absolutely nothing about Boston newspapers because the Boston Herald is a tabloid gossipy paper geared towards the working class. He should have said Boston Globe, which is the Boston version of the New York Times. It made me giggle anyways.
I guess he maybe confused the titles with each other. And probably no one co-operating on the movie doesn't know anything about Boston newspapers either that they didn't correct it...
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 4/22/2012, 9:19 am

My guess is he probably just googled "boston newspapers" and saw the Boston Herald and decided to use it. No one other than someone who is familiar with Boston newspapers would have realized that the Herald is the inferior newspaper in Boston. It just was something that made me giggle.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/22/2012, 10:00 am

Jellyrolls wrote:Chris also had a couple of powerful soliloquys in the movie that were intense and moving.

You're not the only person who picked up on this. I guess through these soliloquies, Carson was able to become an inspirational character, like Chris had intended. The little which we could hear in the SBL trailer was already pretty quotable and powerful, I thought.

And I'm sorry you weren't lucky enough to get Chris's autograph (so close, and yet so far...). Just curious though, what picture did you bring for him to sign? neutre
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 4/22/2012, 10:03 am

I had a few pictures from screencaps Tanita_mors made from AIWNSG. I had printed them out when I went to the New Yorker Festival, just in case, and brought them with me again this time, just in case. I got closer to him this time than I did last time--I could have reached out and touched him, but I didn't.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/22/2012, 10:19 am

Jellyrolls wrote:@brisallie, as one of the reviewers said, it was just about 90 minutes long.

Also, at one point, I got really distracted because I noticed the outline of the undershirt under his sweater and shirt (yes, I could see the undershirt under two layers of clothes, hehe.

I just wake up girl, I haven't even have breakfast yet so THANKS Razz

hahhaah his beloved undershirt like his beloved diet coke has to be always there, one in the premiere and the other one in the movie and Jelly maybe your eyes are more sharpened when's about chrundershirt.

I got closer to him this time than I did last time--I could have reached out and touched him, but I didn't.

Why not Jelly? Are you respecting personal space?

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/22/2012, 10:38 am

Jellyrolls wrote: I got closer to him this time than I did last time--I could have reached out and touched him, but I didn't.

Once in a lifetime opportunity to touch Chris and you held back in respect for his personal space?

You're a true Colferite, Jellyrolls fanny2

But don't despair, as there will be more opportunities in the future! May SBL be just one of the many, many movies that Chris would write and/or act in during the length of his career.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 9 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next