Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9

+30
TimF
MissSoniaPP
tanita_mors
karmapolice
glimmerle
GreenEyes
Georgette888
teardrop
Ireth
kac
SippyCupofLuv
brisallie
sheny
opals
coxfire
Delight
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
Ranwing
arina
ColdFlame96
Glorfindel
Divalicious
ColferInspired
Buenos
AnneNeville
fantastica
Jellyrolls
Lottie2303
MoviesAreLife
34 posters

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9 - Page 31 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9

Post  Glorfindel 10/9/2013, 4:06 pm

^And the circumstances as to why Lauren/Ashley all of a sudden was written out of the series are still unclear.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9 - Page 31 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9

Post  AnneNeville 10/9/2013, 4:27 pm

Glorfindel wrote:^And the circumstances as to why Lauren/Ashley all of a sudden was written out of the series are still unclear.
Yes. And I think it was my first WTF? moment on the show in terms of writing making no sense but being crafted to support the creative teams bad decisions or whims.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 10/9/2013, 4:42 pm

Honestly, I don't think that it was ever intended to keep Ashley/Lauren as permanent in the ND. She was a body to fill the 12th spot while Kurt was at in ND--gave them a chance to give Puck a new LI and add some comedy to the show. I don't think people liked the character enough to make them a permanent part of the ND, and once Kurt was back in the ND, and then the golden boy was brought over from Dalton at the start of season three, they just didn't need a filler character to take the 12th seat.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 10/9/2013, 4:52 pm

The funny thing was that I actually liked Lauren and she brought an interesting "don't give a fuck" perspective to ND. With characters like Rachel treating every performance like a life or death senario, it was kind of refreshing to have someone in the group who was content to just let the crazy air all around her because it was entertaining. And yeah... I liked her and Puck together.

It never made sense to me how ND would just discard possible participants - just because they need a certain number of performers to qualify for competition doesn't mean that those are the only people they should have. The more the merrier, I say.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 10/9/2013, 5:12 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:Honestly, I don't think that it was ever intended to keep Ashley/Lauren as permanent in the ND.  She was a body to fill the 12th spot while Kurt was at in ND--gave them a chance to give Puck a new LI and add some comedy to the show.  I don't think people liked the character enough to make them a permanent part of the ND, and once Kurt was back in the ND, and then the golden boy was brought over from Dalton at the start of season three, they just didn't need a filler character to take the 12th seat.  
I don't buy that, because Chord was gone and they had to create Sugar to fill a seat . . .

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 10/9/2013, 5:18 pm

i remember there was a lot of negativity toward lauren near the end of s2. ashely went on tv and the interviewer told her flat out that laurren was "unlikeable". she did her best to defend her. it's clear that that many who don't like the idea of a hunk (puck) fallen for a big (therefore conventionally "unattractive") girl. i don't particularly like lauren the character, but even i felt sorry for ashley when i saw that interview. there may be more than one such interviews. i don't remember them all.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 10/9/2013, 6:54 pm

Ranwing wrote:The funny thing was that I actually liked Lauren and she brought an interesting "don't give a fuck" perspective to ND. With characters like Rachel treating every performance like a life or death senario, it was kind of refreshing to have someone in the group who was content to just let the crazy air all around her because it was entertaining. And yeah... I liked her and Puck together.

It never made sense to me how ND would just discard possible participants - just because they need a certain number of performers to qualify for competition doesn't mean that those are the only people they should have. The more the merrier, I say.
I didn't like Lauren at all right from the start, and I never thought Ashley could keep up with the rest of the cast in the group performances.

The more the merrier would work in real life, but on TV, the more costs them money.  Keeping an extra two or three people in the background costs money--maybe not a lot per episode, but if you multiply it over the course of 22 episodes, it does add up, plus the last thing they ever need on Glee is more regular characters (even background ones who get an occassional--they tried that in season one, and they all became regulars by season 3).  

AnneNeville wrote:
Jellyrolls wrote:Honestly, I don't think that it was ever intended to keep Ashley/Lauren as permanent in the ND.  She was a body to fill the 12th spot while Kurt was at in ND--gave them a chance to give Puck a new LI and add some comedy to the show.  I don't think people liked the character enough to make them a permanent part of the ND, and once Kurt was back in the ND, and then the golden boy was brought over from Dalton at the start of season three, they just didn't need a filler character to take the 12th seat.  
I don't buy that, because Chord was gone and they had to create Sugar to fill a seat . . .
But Sugar didn't fill a seat. They turned Sugar down, and they started the second show choir.  

Lauren just ran her course, and wasn't really needed in the ND anymore. If people had raved about her, perhaps she would have stayed, but people didn't seem to like to her, so they wrote her off with a quick one liner.

Last edited by Jellyrolls on 10/9/2013, 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/9/2013, 6:55 pm

What was conspicuous was that 'unpopular' Lauren was popular enough to be allowed to go on the 3D live tour, even though that Ashley had a severe injury at the time (a broken leg, I think?).
When Chord was fired while they were on tour there was no word about Ashley not returning in season 3 either, and she was still a part of the promotion for the movie about the tour.
Graduationgate happened right after the tour, just saying.....

What I thought was a bit humiliating/vicious was having Ashley return for the first episode of the new season only to have her do a scene that would write her off the show. If she really was that minor a character they easily could have done what they always do on Glee when actors/characters disappear: have someone mention the reason why they are gone in passing or a voice-over (like they did with Matt, Rory and partly with Mike), or not even mention her at all anymore (like Sugar and Joe).

And then they brought her back to be part of the ugly girls again in season 4, when in canon Lauren was already a senior in season 3 (as she was running for junior Prom Queen in season 2), and completely rewrote her previous spicy and selfconfident character.

I wonder what Ryan & co. felt about Chris bringing Ashley as his +1 at award shows and such, after Lauren was already dismissed in season 3. Rolling Eyes
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 10/9/2013, 10:52 pm

I never was a fan of Lauren, but still I think she added something different. She wasn't one of those girls who needed a man to be define, probably that why it took her so long to reciprocate Puck's feelings. And also that why I didn't like they brought her back as a member of Tina's club, because it was like the old Lauren was ripped off and a new one was in her replacement, a new girl who feels is nothing without a man.

So, as I said above I think Lauren was a a different character and fitted well as an underdog , also I know some viewers felt identified with her. But as regards Ashley ,I never saw her keeping up with the other Glee members in terms of dancing and singing.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 10/10/2013, 12:36 am

I did not like Lauren and I didn't mind her being off the show... but my impression was like if Ashey did not have any idea during the tour and during all those interviews during that summer she won't come back except for that one scene... If that is truth I find it really unprofesional... it would be kinda nice to tell the actress that she you know does not have a job anymore so she would have enough of time to find something different.

I don't think Ashley could keep up with others in terms of dancing but her singing is a different thing. From her little singing in her interviews I would say she could actually sing, she just never got an opportunity to show it on the show, she got one song that was rather a joke than showcase of her singing abilities...
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 10/10/2013, 12:49 am

Whether or not Lauren was likable, her being written off the show so abruptly was strange and jarring. I would have expected such a recurring character to at least appear again at some point in the season, even if she wasn't in the choir room.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 10/11/2013, 2:15 am

In regards to why Ashley got written off, and I'm not sure if this is true or just speculation, but I heard that either Brad or Ryan fired her after graduation-gate to spite Chris since they were friends....knowing how vindictive those 2 can be, it wouldn't surprise me.

I actually really liked Lauren. She wasn't over the top like the other characters. She was very normal and reminded me of the majority of girls at my high school. Let's face it: most high school girls don't look like Quinn or Santana. They look like Lauren, which is why I liked her. She made the shows representation seem more authentic. Also, she was only girl I ever liked Puck with.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/11/2013, 8:09 pm

Fox should look at the reviews for "The Quarterback" and wake up to themselves. :angry: 

There strongest remaining actors, Chris, Lea, Naya, Jane and Matt for who knows how long he will be on the show should be given storylines. And Kevin as well.

But no, after episode 4 we get the noobs and Blam being once again forced down our throats. :angry:
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 10/11/2013, 8:39 pm

ColferInspired wrote:Fox should look at the reviews for "The Quarterback" and wake up to themselves. :angry: 

There strongest remaining actors, Chris, Lea, Naya, Jane and Matt for who knows how long he will be on the show should be given storylines. And Kevin as well.

But no, after episode 4 we get the noobs and Blam being once again forced down our throats. :angry:
Foremost I'm pleasently surprised how they handled the Quarterback episode, but after that, it seems they're going back to the usual stubborn self. And keep believing that by pushing the newbies and blam to the front, they will get more viewers. Yeah sure.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/11/2013, 9:04 pm

It sounds a bit morbid, but with Cory's death and people turning in to say goodbye to Finn Glee had the chance to completely reboot itself and get some viewers back they lost.

But they simply won't do it, like they didn't after the first hiatus in season 4, or the beginning of season 5. They just are too stubborn, when 'The Quarterback' proved that the magic is still there plus an audience if they would only grab it.

Morons. dryy
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/11/2013, 9:10 pm

Glorfindel wrote:It sounds a bit morbid, but with Cory's death and people turning in to say goodbye to Finn Glee had the chance to completely reboot itself and get some viewers back they lost.

But they simply won't do it, like they didn't after the first hiatus in season 4, or the beginning of season 5. They just are too stubborn, when 'The Quarterback' proved that the magic is still there plus an audience if they would only grab it.

Morons. dryy
Episode 5 might end the show for a lot of fans.

They just won't do a New York only episode in case there is an outcry for more, which isn't that what they would want?

None of this makes any sense.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 10/11/2013, 9:10 pm

The stubborn of the writers if what at the end going to bury Glee. Why when they finally do good stuff and are praised by critics and viewers, can't learn anything from it?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/11/2013, 9:15 pm

brisallie wrote:The stubborn of the writers if what at the end going to bury Glee. Why when they finally do good stuff and are praised by critics and viewers, can't learn anything from it?
Because they don't want to admit that someone like Chris (this Fox I am talking about) who is a gay actor playing a gay character is more popular than their Blarren. :angry: 

If Blaine goes to New York and Kurt gets pushed into the background that will be the end.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 10/11/2013, 9:23 pm

ColferInspired wrote:
brisallie wrote:The stubborn of the writers if what at the end going to bury Glee. Why when they finally do good stuff and are praised by critics and viewers, can't learn anything from it?
Because they don't want to admit that someone like Chris (this Fox I am talking about) who is a gay actor playing a gay character is more popular than their Blarren. :angry: 

If Blaine goes to New York and Kurt gets pushed into the background that will be the end.
It must be a nightmare for FOX to realize the one who could be his male lead is the gay kid played by a gay actor. But instead to accept that, they prefer to push any of the other male actors/characters to take the place that Cory has left.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/11/2013, 9:30 pm

brisallie wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:

It must be a nightmare for FOX to realize the one who could be his male lead is the gay kid played by a gay actor. But instead to accept that, they prefer  to push any of the other male actors/characters to take the place that Cory has left.
I think Chris has always been the male lead after Cory.

Cory is irreplaceble, but Chris is a lead actor in his own right. Media have stated this in the past by saying Chris should be nominated in the lead actor category at the Emmy's.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  opals 10/12/2013, 2:12 am

ColferInspired wrote:

Well, then they truly are idiots. Yes, Blarren has loud, obnoxious fans. One only need look at just how spectacularly Girl Most Likely bombed to realize those fans are nowhere near as numerous as they claim to be. In the meantime TLOS made the NYT best seller list week after week, and got Chris a lot of young, non Glee fans.
opals
opals
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 10/12/2013, 3:54 am

opals wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:

Well, then they truly are idiots. Yes, Blarren has loud, obnoxious fans. One only need look at just how spectacularly Girl Most Likely bombed to realize those fans are nowhere near as numerous as they claim to be. In the meantime TLOS made the NYT best seller list week after week, and got Chris a lot of young, non Glee fans.
And don't forget more non Glee fans are still discovering SBL and say they love it. I have seen this everyday on tumblr. Smile
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 10/14/2013, 2:15 pm

I don't like comparing actors successes to each other so what other do or don't do is a separate issue to me. (I wish Lea, Darren, Chord, Naya, etc all the best in their outside endeavors, never hope they bomb)

Per Chris we have:

His character Kurt broke through culturally so that TIME magazine named him one of the 100 most influential people of the year, as well as one of GQ's men of the year.

He won a Golden a Globe for best supporting actor in a comedy.

He has two Emmy nominations for best supporting actor in a comedy.

He's won a PCA award(granted a popularity contest) for best actor in a comedy.

So my issue with Glee not utilizing him is separate with the the other actors they do use. It's more befuddlement why they can't highlight such a gifted actor with an iconic character with story lines and focus. I don't give a rats ass per se if others get focus, but it doesn't make sense to sideline this character.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 10/14/2013, 8:43 pm

ColferInspired wrote:Fox should look at the reviews for "The Quarterback" and wake up to themselves. :angry: 

*siiiiiiiiiiiihg*

They know what the people want. Why are they doing this?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 10/14/2013, 9:03 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:*siiiiiiiiiiiihg*

They know what the people want. Why are they doing this?
Because they don't care what the audience wants - they want to show that it's the show/producers/writers that are the important part of Glee. Not the actors/characters. Those are interchangeable according to RIB. (Of course, they write the same stories for the 'clone' characters, so maybe they somehow think that the actors aren't important.)
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 31 of 40 Previous  1 ... 17 ... 30, 31, 32 ... 35 ... 40  Next