Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread

+16
Delight
Glorfindel
arina
indiaskye
CloveGlee
sheny
M&M
Jellyrolls
tamara04
Ranwing
msjoanlucette
brisallie
ColferInspired
ChrisColferFan1
fantastica
tanita_mors
20 posters

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Go down

What did you think of the episode ?

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_lcap67%4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 67% 
[ 14 ]
4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_lcap10%4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 10% 
[ 2 ]
4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_lcap0%4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 0% 
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
[ 0 ]
4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_lcap23%4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 I_vote_rcap 23% 
[ 5 ]

Total Votes : 21

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  Ranwing 12/7/2012, 12:29 am

I can totally forgive Carmen now that I see exactly what she was getting at. I totally love NTBND because Kurt totally proved that he is able to play a great character and command a stage. Because Carmen is primarily a vocalist, she wanted a more intimate, soulful performance. Kurt's talent at least was never in question - just could he dig deep down and pull out that kind of emotion. As I said earlier, if she could have seen him perform any of his amazing solos in the choir room, it never would have been a question, but she didn't see them.

But she knew that he did have it in him, otherwise she would never have let him take that stage. She threw him into the deep water to make him swim, and swim he did. He owned that stage and brought the audience to their feet. She wanted to pull what she knew was inside him out for everyone to see and gave him the grandest venue to do it in. I'm grateful that Kurt's rejection was nothing about him not being good enough, but that she didn't feel he gave her everything he could.

Well, now he did. Oh how he did. I'm still crying.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Empty Re: 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  ColferInspired 12/7/2012, 12:33 am

I had a feeling Ryan would be doing a Q n' A after this, he is hoping to bask in the glow all the love he thinks he is getting from all the Kurtsie's, Rachel and Blaine stans.

If he agrees about the group numbers then why not Kurt should have lead one or had more to sing?

This guy is bloody hypocrite. 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 3181402168

Though he is going to get an onslaught from Brittana fans. 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 3429310274

I don't think this Q n' A is going to go too well when they start tweeting. 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 3429310274

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5dbDpSQ1qe476yo1_500

Source: chriscolfernews
#well fuckaduck
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 12/7/2012, 12:35 am

I missed most of the episode because I am at Disney world, but I did make it back to my room in time to see being alive. It was amazing. And I was so proud to see the standing ovation. And Kurt's surprise at getting it.

My only complaint is that they cut the song very weird. Some of the breaks were odd
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 12/7/2012, 12:36 am

Ranwing wrote:I can totally forgive Carmen now that I see exactly what she was getting at. I totally love NTBND because Kurt totally proved that he is able to play a great character and command a stage. Because Carmen is primarily a vocalist, she wanted a more intimate, soulful performance. Kurt's talent at least was never in question - just could he dig deep down and pull out that kind of emotion. As I said earlier, if she could have seen him perform any of his amazing solos in the choir room, it never would have been a question, but she didn't see them.

But she knew that he did have it in him, otherwise she would never have let him take that stage. She threw him into the deep water to make him swim, and swim he did. He owned that stage and brought the audience to their feet. She wanted to pull what she knew was inside him out for everyone to see and gave him the grandest venue to do it in. I'm grateful that Kurt's rejection was nothing about him not being good enough, but that she didn't feel he gave her everything he could.

Well, now he did. Oh how he did. I'm still crying.

I can't wait to see all this. 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 3933776953
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/7/2012, 12:42 am

Jellyrolls wrote:I missed most of the episode because I am at Disney world, but I did make it back to my room in time to see being alive. It was amazing. And I was so proud to see the standing ovation. And Kurt's surprise at getting it.

My only complaint is that they cut the song very weird. Some of the breaks were odd

welcome back! hope you enjoyed wrestling w/ Micky Moose. yes the song cutting is weird. maybe if i have never heard the song it would sound a bit more "normal".
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 12/7/2012, 12:48 am

I will be at Disney for the next week. I just got here
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/7/2012, 1:16 am

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men6yt2GI41qe476yo1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/7/2012, 1:17 am

4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men6sfAJKl1qe476yo1_500

lea sounds just like one of these fans! Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/7/2012, 1:20 am

If you are in the US, please buy BA on itune now: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/being-alive-glee-cast-version/id580655464?i=580655559

It's only a bit over a dollar, but it will speak louder than tweets. We need to show our support for kurt solos, and let Fox knows that yes he can sell songs.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/7/2012, 1:22 am

this is BA's entire performance: http://chriscolfernews.tumblr.com/post/37381085874/being-alive

i am sure a YT version will be out soon.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/7/2012, 1:35 am

i missed 2/5 of hte episode, then the other 2/5 of the time i was cooking. so the only thing i really watched is those parts related to Kurt, which is the best part of this episode (of course!)

chris was phenominal in BA. I am not talking about the vocals - we swooned over it days ago and of course it's great, but I am surprised by the performance itself. I knew he would give an emotional performance, but this is beyond it. from his nervousness to graduating getting into the "zone" to reaching the climax, then coming back to realizing hte reality - all these complex feelings, all done w/o a word (other than singing). chris can get another award out of this if glee isn't so un-awardworthy now. oh well...

anyway, i can't comment on anything else because i didn't get to watch the rest of the episode. but what I saw was well worth every minute of it. i just hope this is not going to be Kurt's swan song.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  M&M 12/7/2012, 1:42 am

I am still basking in my Hummel feels. He was amazing! Loved it all. He deserved NYADA the first time and he more than deserved it this time.

I was annoyed about Carmen's reasoning why he didn't get in the first time, but I am over it now.

The less said about McKinley, the better.
M&M
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 12/7/2012, 2:54 am

It was a good episode. Kurt got in NYADA. bounce

This is my second favourite scene in the episode after Kurt's performance. Brad finally talked ptdr
4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o1_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o2_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o3_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o4_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o5_r1_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o6_250

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 12/7/2012, 3:50 am

McKinley was boring as usual, they need to cut this part off, it is old.

The New York part was brilliant, it made me want more and more. I love Hummelberry so much. Rachel is finally maturing and is a good friend. I hope the writers don't ruin it again. 4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 357632081

Kurt/Chris was amazing. He stole the whole episode.

Carmen was testing him, the look on her face when she looked at him during Rachel's performance, like it is your turn.

This was so wonderfully set up.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 12/7/2012, 5:47 am

A brief reminder. Chris Colfer is sublime. He's the only thing about this show worth the effort.

Episode review at...
http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/2012/12/glee-episode-review-swan-song.html

The writing had me tearing out my hair, but isn't Chris just so wonderful?

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 12/7/2012, 6:37 am

Guys, I'm so sorry. I completely forgot to open the thread last night (i have an exam today and it totally slipped my mind). I'll discuss the episode later when I'm done with it.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 12/7/2012, 6:40 am

sheny wrote:

This is my second favourite scene in the episode after Kurt's performance. Brad finally talked ptdr
4x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o1_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o2_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o3_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o4_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o5_r1_2504x09 "Swan Song" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 2 Tumblr_men5w8Frfk1qbjrw4o6_250
best scene of the night, hand down. even better the BA. phr34r
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 12/7/2012, 6:43 am

so carmen prefers "park and bark" style to actual performing. no wonder rachel got in. also, if that is her reasoning, then blaine will never get into nyada, because his performances have absolutely no heart in them. it's all for show. this just means that my bb would have gotten in if he sang "music of the night". damn it. Evil or Very Mad there isn't a more emotional male solo then that one in my book.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 12/7/2012, 6:49 am

got to admit that i find this episode rather boring on the whole, whit just a few bright moments (those involving kurt). why did rachel sing 2 songs. what was the point of that. and back to back too. this was probably the first episode where i fast-forwarded all the performances but kurt's.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 12/7/2012, 6:57 am

I know Sam surprise to Brittany was supposed to be cute and romantic, because he remembered that she forgets breakfast on Tuesdays and did this nice gesture. But she ate from from McKinley Highschool's floor. vomit2 How cleat it can be? They are stupid, but that was just wow.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  indiaskye 12/7/2012, 7:39 am

Okay, just finished watching Swan Song and I think this may have been my favorite episode so far this season!

"Being Alive" was just afjggfhjdslalskfhfjkd!!!!!!!!!!! The performance - as simple and understated as it was - was absolutely perfect ... wub

Kurt getting into NYADA - well Hallelujah! I mean, I was pretty sure he would get in because letting him fail twice would be too cruel even for these writers but still ... And I'm glad they didn't make us wait a week (or more) to find out but included him getting his letter at the end of the episode! I still can't get enough of seeing Kurt and Rachel being so supportive of each other - they're really growing up and maturing right before our eyes!

I really liked "Don't Dream It's Over" - in fact, I liked all the songs except for "Something Stupid". "Oh Holy Night" gave me chills ... such a beautiful version of the song! And funny thing - I think I like Finchel a lot more now that they are broken up than ever before ...go figure ... fanny2

Overall, this is what all episodes should be like - lots of focus on the old characters and keeping the newbies mostly relegated to the background! I would enjoy Glee a lot more if it was always like this ... coool

P.S.: Yay for Piano Brad - his "I'm free" had me laughing so hard ... Razz
indiaskye
indiaskye
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 12/7/2012, 8:13 am

I actually liked all the performances this time (including Something Stupid).. well actually although Lea's vocals were spectacular, I am kind of tired of those Barbra solos, so Being Good Isn't Good Enough was not exactly my cup of tea.

There were a lot of WTF moments in the episodes and things I didn't like but probably because the episode was focused more on people I care for I wasn't bored which is definitely plus. This was not my favorite episode of this season but for me it was one of the better episodes... One can't be very picky when it comes to Glee Smile

Being Alive was great but the way they cut the song really irritated me... I probably should not have listened to it like 1000 times before the episode aired :-)

And Brad was definitely the best. Razz
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/7/2012, 10:04 am

Seeing Kurt triumph at NYADA under such stress was wonderful. His acting added so much to the song. wub

However, this episode was ruined for me, and I didn't think that possible, although I was afraid of it happening.
What Carmen said to Kurt about NTBND and apparently all his performances he sent in with his application(s)? That completely ruined it for me and even his perfect 'Being Alive' couldn't stop me from shaking with rage.
This was not a clever test of Carmen to see how Kurt reacts under stress. This was a whimsical, mean trick to pull on a young man who she first praised with no criticism for Kurt to work on the next time (so Kurt did not know what he did 'wrong'), and it made Carmen come off as an unstable, unprofessional bitch who's incapable to assess an audition when she's supposed to be the best vocal coach ever. Bah! :angry:

I wrote this elsewhere:
After Carmen giving Kurt the highest praise and no criticism whatsoever for his ‘Not The Boy Next Door’ she now tells him he didn’t show enough depth and soul? What? We’re talking Kurt Hummel here. Would Hugh Jackman really have been impressed by his performance if it had been devoid of emotion and depth? Way to go, Glee.
You’re pissing on your most emotive and touching performer on the show, who’s actor is the only one of the ‘kids’ cast who got a Golden Globe and 2 Emmy noms for hitting the emotional scenes (acting and singing) out of the park. You didn’t only piss off the Brittana fans this episode.
Or are you trying to tell us in canon that Carmen is unprofessional and incapable of assesing a candidate’s abilities on their first audition? (well, after the way she admitted Rachel that’s plausible I guess).
And why would Carmen not grant Kurt another (more private) audition, but then put his and her reputations at risk at the Showcase? As Sue would say: “That makes no sense”.

Also: why have Isabelle make Kurt doubt about choosing NYADA vs. Vogue, when it played no narrative role at all this episode?
Well, at least I’m glad that Kurt did not dedicate ‘Being Alive’ to Blaine, I don’t think I could have stomached that. And Hummelberry was completely supportive of one another, and basically adorable throughout the entire episode. Seeing Kurt perform ‘Being Alive’ added even an extra layer of beauty to an already perfect song. These 3 things are the positive things I take out of this episode and will hold on to for dear life.

Kurt got in. After a narratively practically useless rejection in the last episode of season 3 Kurt finally got into NYADA. RIB might think that at the end of the day that is all that matters, but personally I would want some better writing to go with the wins and losses these characters get handed to them.
Because that’s basically it: they get things handed to them without going through them, they don’t have a proper build up and a decent aftermath. I can’t with the writing of this show.

CloveGlee wrote:A brief reminder. Chris Colfer is sublime. He's the only thing about this show worth the effort.

Episode review at...
http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/2012/12/glee-episode-review-swan-song.html

The writing had me tearing out my hair, but isn't Chris just so wonderful?
Thank you. I'm glad I'm not the only one absolutely shaking and fuming over this.

tanita_mors wrote:so carmen prefers "park and bark" style to actual performing. no wonder rachel got in. also, if that is her reasoning, then blaine will never get into nyada, because his performances have absolutely no heart in them. it's all for show. this just means that my bb would have gotten in if he sang "music of the night". damn it. Evil or Very Mad there isn't a more emotional male solo then that one in my book.
This show is so hypocrite. In real life they haul out all the bells and whistles to make the endless Blaine solos barely watchable, while they never challenge Rachel at all with choreography and let her park and bark. But now Kurt gets a sneer for being too much about the show and not emoting enough.
antifana

Last edited by Glorfindel on 12/7/2012, 11:09 am; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 12/7/2012, 10:13 am

I think the recent enforced 3 week break from Glee had reduced me to 'general audience status' when it comes to Glee. Seeing that I could skip one (or is it two?) Kurt-less episodes, and all the Blangst-heavy and McKinley-heavy episodes; I say that the timing couldn't have been better.

It is really great to come back to an episode with a long-awaited Kurt solo.

So, here's my running commentary as I was watching the episode:

-I feel for Santana fans. Her part is really blink-and-miss in this episode, an episode where Brittany is seduced away by Sam. Since I've missed the previous episodes, I really have no idea why she and Mike are even there in the choir room.

-That 'what if' fantasy with Brittany's line about being a finance manager if Glee hasn't been holding her back is funny.

-Piano Brad is hilarious, and he speaks at last! And I agree with you, Tanita. This scene could beat Kurt's solo performance, if it weren't for my Kurtsie status.

- The meta about the lesbian blogger community (aka Brittana fans) becoming violent towards Sam if Bram ever becomes a reality made me roll my eyes so much. Rolling Eyes

- I like Cassandra's vocals in 'All that Jazz' more than Rachel's. Rachel's voice sounds too polished, and not sultry enough.

-I was liking how Carmen remembers Kurt's name in the office scene, only to be outraged and going all WTF when she started calling Kurt's NTBND performance souless and surface-only. Glofindel, you've voiced all my grievances perfectly. Bloody hell, I felt like doing some violence to the writer of this episode after watching that (Are they seriously trying to brainwash all Glee viewers into thinking that Kurt is a poor performer and singer, contrary to what we actually see with our own eyes?). I'll accept your interpretation of the scene, Ranwing (about Carmen making that judgment because she hasn't gotten the chance to see Kurt's other soulful performances) and maybe tumblr's speculation about how she may have been using a tough love method to guide/force Kurt to do a park-and-bark performance like Rachel (which didn't quite make any sense because she had only praise for Kurt for taking risks in his first audition; but whatever); only because I still want to continue to tolerate Carmen on this show.

-Wow, Tina is really ripping into Marley there. I still believe that ND would still have lost without Marley fainting on stage. They sang Oppa Gangnam Style after all.

-Brody still doesn't serve any purpose aside from being Rachel's personal cheerleader.

-2 solos by the same person in one episode, one right after the other? Has that ever happened in the history of Glee? O Holy Night feels quite out of place. Isn't there a Christmas episode coming up?

-Ooh, continuity. Kurt recalls that Carmen is disdainful of 'Being Alive'.

-So Kurt's solo turned out to be an audition piece afterall... performed during the winter showcase competition? Oh well, at least this way the more rabid Rachel fans won't tear Kurt apart for stealing Rachel's thunder or some other ridiculous accusation.

-They haven't tainted the 'Being Alive' song by making it about Blaine. Thank goodness. Love Rachel's pep talk and her being all supportive of Kurt.

-Nervous Kurt makes me nervous. Chris is amazing at portraying Kurt's emotions through facial expressions alone. I feel more for Kurt when he sings. In comparison, Rachel's performance faces did nothing for me (because they all look the same). There's no choreography whatsoever during Kurt's BA performance. Kurt's performances are mostly very stripped down and bare on Glee, and one of the few times he cut loose and went for the bells and whistles (e.g. in his NTBND), he got knocked down for it (by Carmen)? I want another NTBND equivalent, dammit.

-Cory is a really good subtle actor. His expression after hearing that Rachel had won is complex (happy? frustrated? self-loathing?) and feels very real.

-I don't understand what kind of a character Kitty is meant to be. I thought she's a 2D nasty cheerleader stereotype. And yet, there she is, a loyal Glee club member joining in the singing in the snow. Looks like she has a conscience. Ooh, there's some evidence of 'depth' in our Glee villains. Who would've thought? I wonder how many episodes it'll take before she gets a personality transplant ala Sue and Sebastian?

-Wow, Kurt's successful acceptance into NYADA is just as rushed as his Vogue win. Guess the 3 episode stint by SJP is up and Kurt has to move on. Oh, I know I'm being harsh and possibly ungrateful for knocking Kurt's NYADA win; but I'm really not getting much satisfaction from Kurt getting into NYADA. I've commented weeks ago that the suspense about whether Kurt may or may not get into NYADA had been killed because the writers wouldn't be sadistic enough to make Kurt fail a second time. The whole thing is predictable, and feels like a poorly executed fix-it after the season3 finale debacle.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/7/2012, 11:20 am

Another thing that angered me this episode is that they had 2 very emotional moments for Kurt (3 if you include Carmen dropping the bomb on him to perform ad hoc), and they did not show any aftermath or elaborate emotional reaction.

The first was when Carmen crushed all his dreams and dismissed his talent in the office scene. After that we saw no reaction of Kurt, but he was immediately reduced to being Rachel's faithful cheering best gay again, just like in 'Goodbye'. (I loved Rachel's support for Kurt and Hummelberry altogether this episode, but I did notice this lack of focusing on Kurt's emotions again).

The second was when Kurt got his acceptance letter. It was a 10 second scene in a song someone else was singing about defeat. Again Kurt's triumph was deemed less important to celebrate compared to showing the loss of someone else.

You'd think that they would let their best actors and characters act out their emotions properly (when it doesn't involve their love interests, jeez) since that is one of the things that lifts this show to a higher level than its writing deserves.
Same goes for Rachel btw.
Having said that: I thought that Cory killed his scenes in this episode.

Sorry for the negativity for the episode that had Kurt triumph, but this episode pissed me off big time. :(
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 4 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next