Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread

+31
CloveGlee
M&M
Shinra17
BlueJazz
red texta
Jake667
Ireth
Kurt Hummel
happydays
sjonnepon
dap1217
Glorfindel
Emile
tanita_mors
valkeakuulas
Delight
ColferInspired
emilynna
arina
mellama
ColferGirl
angelnessa
brisallie
sahhar
kac
Buenos
Divalicious
fantastica
paulopf
Dame Loli
Jellyrolls
35 posters

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next

Go down

3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  ColferGirl 4/25/2012, 2:30 am

Hey Grace! neutre I love when you post, I wish you'd post more, your posts are always a joy to read.

mellama wrote:I'll probably be one of the voices contrasting with the main melody here, but I loved this episode. Loved. It. Main reason, Kurt got the right amount of focus Smile and he got to sing. I loved that he got scenes with so many different people! Fabulous episode.

As far as I'm concerned, they should give Kurt this amount of focus every week. I also liked the interaction between Rachel and Santana. Interchange Wemma, Samcedes, Joe and Quinn, Finchel, Puck, Artie etc. from epi to epi, but keep the focus on Kurt. That is all. Laughing

Agreed - if nothing else, I loved the episode because of how much Kurt there was in it, despite any other misgivings. There should be this much Kurt all the time. Smile

I believed that the flirtation was innocent and just Kurt enjoying attention, but no real attraction on Kurt's part. I don't mind at all that Kurt was a little bit wrong.

I agree that I felt the flirtation really was innocent, at least in Kurt's mind, as he kept insisting - he just let it continue because it made him feel good, not because he was honestly going to let it progress into anymore. I also don't mind that Kurt was a little bit wrong. And I'm glad that Blaine was wrong too, that the drama in the end was something they both created and escalated (even though, as you said, many fans aren't seeing it this way, depending on whom they like more), just like a real couple. Relationships are a two-way street, and their arguments/misunderstandings are created with that same two-way street, both parties.

I just wish the counseling scene had been more even, but that's just my opinion. neutre
ColferGirl
ColferGirl
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 Empty Re: 3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread

Post  fantastica 4/25/2012, 2:33 am

^ glad you like the episode. for me it's a lot better than the last two because there was so little kurt in them.

oh, does anybody know what it means when chandler texted to kurt " you have a great asp? what's asp?
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/25/2012, 3:02 am

arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/25/2012, 3:15 am

I haven't watched the episode yet, but I saw few videos on tumblr and I really liked them so I have feeling I am going to be satisfied with this episode. A lot of Kurt and even Kurt who is allowed to be human, make mistakes, be flawed... (although it was absolutely understandable what he did - at least for me). I like it.. And Kurt's faces made the Blaine's song for me. Razz
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/25/2012, 3:20 am

chris was grrrrreat in this episode!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/25/2012, 3:31 am

fantastica wrote:chris was grrrrreat in this episode!
He was (based on the probably five videos I have seen :-))! He always is but lately he did not get so many chances to show it properly. This is how it always should be :-)
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  emilynna 4/25/2012, 3:38 am

fantastica wrote:guys I hate to say this but there's another stupid poll from Wetpaint and right now Team Kurt is losing:

http://www.wetpaint.com/glee/articles/glees-big-klaine-fight-are-you-team-kurt-or-team-blaine

please help team kurt win! I can't believe I am saying this...

Razz right now team kurt is winning by 53%...hope it stay this way...
emilynna
emilynna
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/25/2012, 3:45 am

^ I just bumped it up to over 55%!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 4/25/2012, 4:36 am

Hi, Erin. hola Thanks for your kind words. I always enjoy reading your posts, too. I think i missed a page of posts while I was working on mine, your first one, included. There's a term: GPOY that means gratuitous picture of yourself. That's what I feel so often when I read your posts. Smile

colfergirl wrote:
I agree that I felt the flirtation really was innocent, at least in Kurt's mind, as he kept insisting - he just let it continue because it made him feel good, not because he was honestly going to let it progress into anymore. I also don't mind that Kurt was a little bit wrong. And I'm glad that Blaine was wrong too, that the drama in the end was something they both created and escalated (even though, as you said, many fans aren't seeing it this way, depending on whom they like more), just like a real couple. Relationships are a two-way street, and their arguments/misunderstandings are created with that same two-way street, both parties.

I just wish the counseling scene had been more even, but that's just my opinion. neutre

I think they showed it that way in order for Blaine to work through his gripes to get to the real problem: his fear of losing Kurt. If Kurt and Blaine had gone back and forth, they probably wouldn't have got there. It seemed to me that Kurt must have gone to Emma to arrange the session and she had coached him a little ahead of time. When Blaine said there were a few things he'd like to change, Kurt responded with, "I'm actively listening," and Emma gave him a wink.

It was so funny when Blaine asked if Emma was qualified for couples counseling and Emma used her session with Samcedes as a reference. Blaine goes, "I'm pretty sure they broke up." ptdr I've been enjoying Emma a lot lately. She's been acting more mature and fairly believable as a counselor. Will still has a way to go, but he's been doing a little better, too. I thought it was pretty funny how the kids dissed his attempts to understand their reaction to Whitney's death. He was right on (thanks to Emma) but no way were they gonna acknowledge that. Laughing

mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  mellama 4/25/2012, 4:45 am

fantastica wrote:^ glad you like the episode. for me it's a lot better than the last two because there was so little kurt in them.

oh, does anybody know what it means when chandler texted to kurt " you have a great asp? what's asp?

I love nerdy jokes like this. An asp is a poisonous snake. He's really saying, "You have a great ass." There's no doubt he was flirting under the guise of sending jokes.
mellama
mellama
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 4/25/2012, 5:16 am

fantastica wrote:btw TVline's recap is already out: link here
Kurts solo is rated A-; the first opening song is A+. blaine's solo is C+ because the author is sick of his "bad acting" and angry faces. I am surprised he said that.

I was reading a lot of those comments, and loads of them are criticising Darren and his acting. So more fans are finally using their voice. About time. 3x17 "Dance with Somebody" Watch & Discussion thread - Page 4 650269930
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/25/2012, 5:31 am

I apologize beforehand for the lengthy post ooppss

I kept trying to think why this WH episode hadn't bothered me as much as it should, and then it occured to me that it's Kurt-centric and he got to sing in 3 songs (Though they've cut out Kurt's verse in the last group song, as predicted).

Yes, give me more Chris, and I can even forgive the pot-kettle-black Klaine conflict. And in my opinion, Kurt was an electric kettle.

But I'll get back to that in a moment.

Kurt looked very good in all his scenes! The costumes department are finally dressing him up to emphasize his appeal, instead of attempting to water it down.

Chandler-- I think he knows how to worm his way into Kurt's good graces. This is the first time a character on Glee has praised Kurt's sense of fashion. And Chris really nailed it with his subtle acting with the lift of his eyebrows-- when Chandler said 'Then I should quit while I'm ahead', Kurt finally realized that their friendly conversation over Whitney Houston songs was Chandler's pick up line to him. I agree with other posters here too, in that I would've preferred a hotter guy flirting with Kurt. But Chandler's overtly campy disposition did emphasize that Kurt's relationship with him was definitely innocent.

Btw, 'Between the sheets' is an strange name for a music store.

Wish that they could've given a WH song to someone other than Heather, but I suppose 'Dance with Somebody' is a good opportunity for Heather to showcase her dancing skills (the one thing she's actually good at). Then there's the recurrent 'Blaine dances with a girl' scene. Why am I no longer surprised? The writers are really trying to keep the Blaine fangirls happy, aren't they?

Blaine's reaction in the choir room during the 'So emotional' performance was just... not quite right. He looked pissed off at Kurt, but at that point he didn't know about Chandler yet or that Kurt had been receiving texts from him. So he directed dagger glares at Kurt for smiling/laughing over something on his phone? (Btw love the shot where Sam was leaning close and trying to share in whatever was amusing Kurt). I mean, I can understand if Blaine looked puzzled, or suspicious even, but full-on pissed off and sulky? That's just wrong. I'll just take this as another sign of Darren's inadequacy as an actor.

I don't quite agree with what Christian Sam is trying to teach home-schooled Christian Joe in the gym scene. You have to choose between God and girlfriend if you're interested in pursuing a girl? Why is that? Can't you have both? And is there anything wrong with having sex only after marriage?

Dianna Agron does well in her dramatic scenes. I still don't understand the insistence of the writers to pair up every single kid in Glee club. Why should Quinn feel rejected and dwell in self-pity just because Joe didn't put the moves on her during a physiotherapy? A girl with better self-esteem would be outraged if a guy was using those 'help' sessions as a pretense to flirt with her or touch her inappropriately.

Mr Schuester really needs more adult friends. He tried to push for an earlier wedding so that his Glee club kids can attend his wedding? This Wemma conflict is just... oh well. I don't care too much about that storyline to be honest, so I'll leave it there.

Kurt's scene with Burt (and his relationship with his father in general) is still the only one that could make me feel any emotional connection at all. It feels real and visceral, whereas the other relationships on the show are cheesy and superficial in comparison. Why can't we have more Kurt-Burt scenes?

I like Kurt's 'I have nothing' performance. It didn't come across as 'groveling for forgiveness from overreacting and insecure boyfriend' (which was what I was dreading ever since the songs were released last week). It's more a song that was sung by Kurt to express some regret over his actions. And I'll form head canon that he's also singing that song to Burt and the rest of his Glee club friends. The clothes he wore during the performance reminded me of the ones he wore for 'AIWNSG' (without the keys on his collar), but if I have to compare the two, AIWNSG was definitely more impressive and emotional. This one is pretty good too though.

Lastly, I'd like to talk about the Klaine stuff in the episode.

There's so much meta spouted during Kurt and Blaine's argument in the bedroom that I can't stop rolling my eyes. But at least it shows that the writers are not unfamiliar with the feelings of Kurtsies over Kurt's treatment this season.

Let's look at Glee's history of absolving Blaine's bad behaviour so far:
-Blaine going for that Tony role despite saying that he won't--> Kurt gives him flowers
-Blaine trying to be spontaneous in the car with Kurt--> Kurt seeks Blaine out first and apologizes to him
-Blaine maintaining contact with Sebastian behind Kurt's back and leaking ND's set list to their competitor--> gets nearly blinded by slushie--> everyone feels outraged on his behalf and he gets HummelberryHudson trio singing a song to him to make him feel better
-Blaine's outburst at Sam and Finn at the Sectionals episode--> Finn admitting to his jealousy and fears over Blaine's talent--> Blaine performs at Sectionals to loud applause
-Blaine's being sulky over Cooper's behaviour and singing an angry 'Fighter' song--> Cooper praising Blaine's talents to the heavens after their duet in the auditorium

And now in this episode, we have:
- Kurt-- "Why are you going through my phone?", Blaine-- "I'm not going through your phone. Just that it keeps buzzing"
- Kurt-- "You used to text Sebastian all the time, you would call him even", Blaine-- "I didn't like him and all those texts were family-friendly"
- Blaine overreacting with his over-the-top way solo about Kurt 'cheating' in front of the whole Glee club (backed by all the other ND members in that fantasy sequence; what the hell, Glee?)--> Kurt sings 'I have nothing' to him as an apology

Note: I swear, only Kurt's WTF expressions during Blaine's performance made it possible to endure. If they had Kurt looking genuinely hurt and teary over Blaine's accusatory song, I'd like to personally kick whoever wrote or directed this episode.

- Blaine getting all angry and whiny about everything Kurt did that got on his nerves including finger snapping for cheese cake (yep, someone on the writing team is definitely reading the forums; I just wish that they'd pay attention to comments that were actually, you know, relevant and not biasedly nit-picking in any way)--> Kurt agreeing to change for the better
-Blaine admitting that he's unhappy that Kurt is looking forward to his future life in NY after graduation--> Kurt finally understood where all the Blaine angst and bad behaviour were stemming from and promised to be a well-behaved boyfriend who would try his damnedest to keep a long-distance relationship going between them.

Yes, the Klaine relationship still feels very unbalanced to me. But this is the first time in a very long while that we get to see the two have a proper conversation with each other; so I shan't complain any more than I've done here.

Last edited by Delight on 4/25/2012, 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 4/25/2012, 5:37 am

15 mins after seeing the episode. I'm really confused and somewhat angry. (Thankfully some of you also were quite irritated, I don't feel such a weirdo.) In general I like this episode and lot of that loving has to do with the fact that it features generous amounts of Kurt, Hummelberry and Burt. I am trying to be positive and Glee is still my Happy place. These Klaine scenes though...got me all over the place.

I felt Kurts dissapointment of Blaine dismissing him by the lockers and to me Chandlers character isn't really a issue, it could have been anybody since I don't believe he will be dug up again. Just like a lot of actors in Glee, Chadler is just a tool to move a silly storyline ahead. Although setting Kurts admierer to have the least possible threatning, anti-Sebastian-like qualities is bugging me slightly.

And we got our funny and lengthy Hummelberry. And just like Mike O'Malley and Chris, Lea and Chris dwell so well together but why has Kurt become so insecure? This Blaine ship is pulling him down, ripping all these old ghosts of insignifigance up again. But I can totally see Kurt schedulling everything. blushh

I did like Darrens acting in the bedroom scene it felt quite natural but Darren also owes to Chris' responses. I liked that writing, pointing the issues. BUT then came the choir room It's Not Right. I felt horrified and frankly upset and this played out exactly as I was afraid it would play out two days ago. And then they stage it that the whole New Directions are singing their disgust towards Kurt. WHAT IS THIS! Shocked It felt like the ND was turning against Kurt and that they believed Blaine over their friend. I know this can be the point of the writers but I was annoyed, still am actually.

Moving on in somewhat state of shock in the episode and here it comes: Burt and is all upset and feeling lonely. And this breaks me! I was expecting some backround music but the scene not having any just pointed out how good these two are together, they don't need any gimmicks. Until IHN...yes it reminded AIWNSG, but I don't care. Miffed that most of it was pictured singing to Blaine some of it thankfully reflected also on the other "breaking" couples. And what was that Blaines little claps in the end: have we ended into some sort of fluffy manga, kawaii girl fantasy now. (Sorry for that, if anyone got affended.)

And that scene in Emmas office was hard to handle. I almost had to cover my ears. And the funny thing is that I can't really pinpoint what made me uncomfortable; was this scene just a one big guilt trip? And they went there: "Every conversation ends up being about NYADA" Why they gave Blaine the right to blame Kurt for wanting to go to this school of his dreams, as stupid as it feels to place your bets into one thing only, because that's what the storyline lets us know. Another issue I know...And I liked Darren here as well, fits with the image I had created of Blaine in my head (what is going on with me?) but the whole mood was too melodramatic, felt like I was looking some afternoon soap.

Maybe I'm missing something but then when we next see Kurt and Blaine all is right, the innuendos are funny and I get something was resolved but what?

I have to think about this longer and perhaps re-watch. Too much in such a short space and I have to go to work today thinking all this, oh dear.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 4/25/2012, 6:08 am

Well it took practically the whole season but Blaine finally threw back on Kurt that he had transferred over to McKinley and changed his whole life for Kurt.

Hehehehe...

Issues much boys?
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/25/2012, 6:57 am

The episode was very good. All the storylines were moderately interesting, and as a Kurt fan the Klaine one was the one I was interested the most.

Quinn & Joe - Samuel was passably acting wise in this one. Their storyline was a bit boring and kind of stupid to me, because I'm not a die hard Christian, but it was OK. Their duet - still bland as hell.

Wemma - they were kind of interesting in this one and like Emma a lot tonight. She realized that the kids very really morning the end of their youth and time together throw WH passing and that Will insistence to move the weeding was for the same reason. I loved that she was the voice of reason here. Also in the counseling scene, when she removed that "sing a song" pamphlet, I died ptdr

Now Klaine - I feel that the storyline would have been much less offensive toward Kurt and made him less weak if I Have Nothing was sung after their counseling. Because the real problem wasn't that Blaine was upset about Kurt cheating - he did the exact same thing no matter that he thinks his was more innocent and G rated (we know that ain't effing true). Chandler - why I was expecting someone hotter, it wasn't about him, but about Kurt's need to be adored and getting attention. IMO he never even contemplated going out with him, it was all about the feeling he was getting from him that he wasn't getting from Blaine. He isn't 100 % innocent, sure, but that wasn't cheating in any way shape or form. Not more so the what Blaine was doing with Sebastian.

Kurt and Blaine have a lot of issues. Kurt obviously likes to be in control, but feels completely overshadows by Blaine ever since he transferred - something most of us Kurtsies feel as well. And Blaine hates that Kurt can't wait to leave Lima and by default leave him - IHN should have been about that DAMN IT !!! While DC acting was much subdued then his usual overacting, he was still rather limited in his scenes. But at least his show faces didn't offend me this time. While I liked the way INR was staged in the choir room and all the looks everyone was giving Kurt and Blaine, I hated the way they glammed up Blaine for the fantasy part of the song. Again he is the rock/pop star - what a way to ruin the point a character was making earlier about listening to all his solos. Loved the way they edited IHN - the song sounded so much better to me in the episode then on the track. It's still not one of my Kurt favorites but I'm warming up to it. Nice trow back to AIWNSG - the exactly same outfit without the keys. As I said before, I would have liked it better if contextually it was after the counseling meeting. It would have been less desperate on his part and more about their mutual fear of separation. Also, you all know I'm no Klainer, but I was bothered that after they made up in Emma's office they just HUGGED. I mean, really. No

Kurt and Burt - just perfection. I don't think any more words are needed to describe the heavenly chemistry between Mike and Chris. They really make you believe they are father and son.

Dance with somebody and So emotional felt kind of pointless to me plot wise, but were such great numbers I'm gonna let it pass this time. Also, I can't believe they cut all of Kurt and Blaine lines from the last song.

Also, what is an "asp". At first I though that was written in stead of "ass" but now I'm not so sure.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/25/2012, 7:32 am

I've just finished the episode, and I liked it! It was a little melodramatic, but that and the whole WH tribute didn't bother me as much as I thought it would.

Klaine:
Chandler was a funny and cute guy, even if it was so predictable that the guy with an interest in Kurt was into fashion as much as Kurt is. Glee sure has to live up to his stereotypes. arghh But at the same time, I'm so annoyed by all this "alpha gay" thing, thing they had to bring up again even during Klaine's conversation (meta much, glee?), that I enjoyed Chandler for his little time.

I think that the Klaine drama was something that had to be addressed at some point, and something quite well handled though in rush; but I didn't like how it ends, with that stupid speech by Blaine about how he is trying to get used at Kurt's absence (was this the super Darren's acting? ...okay), and how he's tired of Kurt always talks about NYADA. Shocked I'm sorry, but I think it was clear that that NYADA is the most important thing for Kurt right now; he doesn't have to prove his love for Blaine by putting him before everything else.
But the "please stop slipping bronzer in my lotion! I only use lotion on my hands, it looks weird if a person only have tan hands!" was fun. Laughing

I think that Kurt was in the 'wrong' when he texted Chandles in a flirty way, even if it was quite understandable his need of someone complementing him (since Klaine seems a married couple?...meta Rolling Eyes ), but to me that was not really cheating and in my opinion Blaine overreacted. There was no need of public blaming through the song in the choir room, (I didn't like "It's not right but it's okay" performance, the close-ups on Blaine's face and the ND members behind him in the dream sequence was cringe-worthy mince ).
Anyway I'm glad that "I have nothing" was not interpreted as an apologize. In my opinion it was not one of his best songs, but Chris still made it a powerful song.

Burt:
Well, Burt. mrgreen There's nothing more to say, because their scenes are always beautiful.

Wemma:
I can understand Will he is in hurry because he wants all the Glee club kids at his wedding but, boh, it still cames out as something wrong. And I can't even understand why.
Emma is just so cute with the hidden phamplet. Laughing

Quinn and Joe:
I liked them as friend, and I hope that friend is what they will remain. I didn't get the reason why they sing that song togheter (I mean, I don't really understand in english what they said about it, so I have to watch it again) and, even if the performance was so boring Sleep, their voices sounded good.
I didn't like that during the physiotherapy the first thing that she feels is...that. Come one, Glee.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/25/2012, 9:45 am

Random:
- All the songs sounded better in the show, like they used less tweeking.
- I think ‘How Will I Know’ is my new favorite Glee song.
- Brittany and Santana looked good and happy in ‘I Wanna Dance With Somebody’.
- What was the use of the bromance scene? And why not have an all girls scene to counter that?
- And of course they cut Kurt’s verse out of a song again. It’s a Glee rule.
- Hummelberry has more chemistry than Klaine.
- I remember when lady Di died. I was in Orlando in Disney World at the time! Dropped my coffee and made a mess when I heard the news. (Don’t know why I’m writing this.)

Will and Emma:

- Mr. Lavender is not like I imagined him.
- Will is trying so hard to be nice, but it still comes across as being so wrong. And I really like Will.
- So, the wedding will be in November?
- Mr. Schue will miss his kids next year. We will too, Mr. Schue, we will too. :(

Quinn and Joe:
- I like that Quinn and Joe are friends, but can’t they just stay that: friends?
- Yup, ‘Saving All My Love’ is boring on screen as well. And those lyrics make me frown too, Rachel. fanny2
- I have no idea why that Christians and sex talk with Sam was necessary, except to set up Joe’s you-know-what being noticed by Quinn, which was a bit ewww.
- Another pairing with one good actor and one..... not so good actor.

Kurt and Blaine:
- Kurt’s love interests so far have been a closeted agressive jock who fixated himself on Kurt and needs therapy stat, and now a dorky ADHD Kurt-a-like who RIB probably had in mind when they wrote Kurt, and thank God that Chris Colfer molded him into the more internal and fierce Kurt of season 1. Blaine’s admirer was hot Sebastian….. I guess Kurt still has toothpick arms.
- There is no excuse for looking through someone else’s phone messages, no excuse.
- Blaine has no problem with anyone complimenting him, even someone he doesn’t like (which somehow makes it less wrong for Blaine in comparison to Kurt's Chandler? Not even talking about leaking the ND set list to Sebastian), but he has a problem with someone complimenting Kurt, and calls it ‘cheating’? Pot. Kettle. Black.
- Mind you: I’m not excusing Kurt here for flirting with Chandler and not telling Blaine. That was wrong, but it was only 2 days, not weeks on end, and Chandler did not say he wanted sex with Kurt and wanting him to cheat, nor did he insult Kurt’s bf. Plus: Sebastian being 'family friendly' when he called Blaine "sex on a stick"?
- Don’t like the meta of Blaine being the alpha gay and Kurt sitting on a stool while he watches Blaine perform. This stopped being funny about 15 episodes ago, and we all know RIB won’t change a thing about it. dryy
- No matter how offended Blaine might have felt over Kurt’s ‘cheating’ (pleeeeez): that did not deserve a public blaming and shaming in the choir room like Blaine did. And the setting, with ND backing him up was aweful.
- Thank God that Chris made Kurt’s ‘I Have Nothing’ into a power song, more defiant, and not an apology song. I don’t think I could have stomached that. But it should have been after the counseling, not before.
- Excuse me, Kurt: but could you not talk about NYADA and New York all the time? It’s hurting Blaine’s feelings. It’s not like it’s the most important thing in the world for you right now: Blaine should be that, you silly beta gay. First his brother, and now ”Et tu, Brute?”. No wonder Blaine has anger issues. unsure
- No gay Klaine kiss in their storyline. Not that I want Kurt to ever kiss Blaine again, but still….. double standards, etc.
- I guess I don't agree with William Keck's assessment of Darren's acting.

- The Burt/Kurt scene moved me more than any Klaine scene did. wub

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  dap1217 4/25/2012, 9:54 am

Will wasn't the only one manifesting his angsty feelings about the glee club disbanding. Blaine too was feeling the looming gloom of Kurt leaving his side, and handled it poorly by distancing himself from Kurt without explanation. Ordinarily, this arc would be enough to sustain a character's storyline, but the writers fussed it up a little further with the idea that Kurt, in the lack of positive attention from Blaine, sought giggles elsewhere by taking up texting with some kid named Chandler that he met at a record store. Naturally, Blaine found the texts, accused him of cheating, diva'd out for yet another I-will-rise-above-your-emotional-abuse performance, and then the two got swept away to couples counseling. Phew! There was a lot on the plate for Kurt and Blaine, and of course, everything was wrapped up neatly with Blaine's confession that he feels like Kurt is leaving him behind, and Kurt reassuring him that he won't lose him.

I'm not sure why the writers are so intent on taking Blaine so seriously. To me, part of the guy's appeal is that he seems really put together, but that actually he is kind of ridiculous. Because seriously, this is a young man who serenades Gap employees in plain sight of everyone, and who routinely sings songs out of the Contemporary Pop Diva Songbook. He is the sloppiest drunk on the planet, and hasn't the first idea about how to tell Sebastian to take a hike. He sings "Fighter" when his brother overshadows-slash-ridicules him, and "It's Not Right (But It's Okay)" when his boyfriend starts texting another guy. This boy is a melodramatic idiot, and I mean it in the best way possible. Because it's endearing, when it's framed as the kind of over-the-top ridiculata that it is! When the writers try and sell the hardcore emotional aspects of his character, I have a tendency to laugh. Because he's silly. He has completely valid emotions, and it's great when a character is allowed to have emotions and layers and multiple dimensions... but the writers choose to express Blaine Anderson's in the goofiest of ways and I wish they would just own up to that and roll with it.

On a purely objective level, yes, I feel bad for Blaine. Who wouldn't feel badly for someone in that situation? It sucks to think about the idea that a significant other is definitely going to leave you, and you have no control over the situation. But the constructed storyline around this notion was bizarre, in that it tried to pin something on Kurt as well, so that they could justify Blaine singing "It's Not Right (But It's Okay)" with the double meaning of being hurt by Chandler's dumb puns as well as by Kurt's inevitable departure. While we did get to hear Kurt voice his opinion about the negatives to being Blaine's boyfriend, I still frowned that Paris Barclay chose to assemble the New Directions behind Blaine as they sang sassy backup, as though Kurt was getting group-chastised for his actions. Not only that, but Blaine was the only one in couples counseling to suggest ways in which he felt his partner could change behavior. And he hauled out three examples! Yikes. Yes, what Kurt was doing wasn't entirely on the up-and-up. But for as much as the "gray areas" of cheating get dusted under the rug on this show (with Santana, with Quinn, with Finn, with Puck, with Will, with Sam... although not as much with Rachel or Mercedes) it seemed strange to hold a character accountable for flirty text messages. Between this and the recent propensity of the writers to take Blaine's emotions with sincere - and severe - gravity, I never really warmed to this storyline as a result. (Although the argument over having bronzed hands was hilarious.)

Far stronger in relation to Kurt was of course his scene with Burt about how things will never be the same after he leaves. Cue a million tears! The idea that Burt and Kurt have lived their lives as a team after the death of Kurt's mother is incredibly heartwarming, especially considering how "different" these two men are. And now, of course, it's incredibly heartwrenching knowing that Kurt's leaving the nest and this pair will be split up. Honestly, it's 1000x sadder to think about Kurt and Burt being separated than Kurt and Blaine. For years, Kurt and Burt were all each other had in their lives, and they had each others' backs the entire way through. Separating a kid from a parent is upsetting enough, but the idea of separating this kid from this parent had me reaching for the tissues far before Burt even uttered the phrase "Starsky and Gay Hutch." The conversation was a perfect segue to Kurt singing "I Have Nothing" for his assignment, but my emotions ebbed considerably when I realized Kurt was actually singing to Blaine. Wah-wah. This television show's expressions of love are monumentally one-dimensional in action and dialogue yet profusely preached in storyline, and I'm getting to the point where any "romantic" scene inspires no sort of emotion in me other than nausea. Will I ever wholly love a couple on Glee again?

http://www.drshebloggo.com/2012/04/rbi-report-dance-with-somebody.html
dap1217
dap1217
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  sjonnepon 4/25/2012, 10:14 am

fantastica wrote:^ I just bumped it up to over 55%!

he's up to over 60% right now!
sjonnepon
sjonnepon
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 4/25/2012, 10:23 am

OK, now that I’ve rewatched parts of the episode, I figured I’d give a more in depth review:

“How Will I Know” was hands down the best performance of the night, definitely one of my favorite performances of the season--which is saying a lot considering that Kurt wasn’t in the forefront. I loved the arrangement, and the harmonies. I thought Amber, Lea, Chris, and Naya sounded fantastic together--their voices really blended together well.

I know I’ve expressed my thoughts about Chandler last night, and those haven’t changed. I felt that Chandler was an over animated, more over the top flamboyant version of Kurt. I know in real life looks aren’t everything, but on this TV show they count for a lot, and the look for Chandler says a lot about how the audience should perceive Kurt. It was like they were trying to say that if Kurt didn’t have Blaine, the only guys who will be interested in him were guys who were as flamboyant as Kurt is. I didn’t need Chandler to be hot, but I didn’t appreciate that they made him be geeky and goofy. RIB and the writers are sending a strong message that because Kurt is who he is, the only guys he has a chance of getting if he doesn’t have Blaine are guys like Chandler or the guys at the NYADA mixer.

As for the texting storyline, I do think that Kurt was wrong to be exchanging flirty texts to another guy, no matter how neglected he felt by Blaine. I wouldn’t call it cheating like Blaine did, but I do agree with what Rachel said about how if he wouldn’t show Blaine the texts, it’s probably something that he shouldn’t be doing. The secrets that these boys keep from each other when it comes to their interactions with other boys is not part of a healthy relationship.

Blaine overreacted to the texts. Yes, he had a right to be angry and confront Kurt, but there was so much wrong with the way it was handled. I do not like the way the glossed over Blaine’s interactions with Sebastian (which went on for a longer duration through texts, phone calls, and in person interactions) like they were nothing, while Kurt’s flirty texts with a guy he met two days earlier were a huge transgression worthy of Blaine’s angst. As I said, this was the pot calling the kettle black. Blaine had no right to get as angry as he did with Kurt to the point of calling it cheating and humiliating Kurt in front of his friends with that song when he had done the same thing to Kurt (actually, Blaine’s actions were worse because the interactions were more frequent and continued even after Blaine knew full well that Kurt felt threatened by Sebastian). The “it wasn’t the same because I didn’t like Sebastian” excuse didn’t sit well with me--if you don’t like someone, you don’t talk to them, you don’t answer their texts, you don’t meet up with them, especially when you know that the person who you are dating is threatened by that person.

While I’m glad that there was some real interaction between Kurt and Blaine, and I’m even more glad that there was some friction between them, I don’t like that it was neatly wrapped up in half an hour. The whole “I’ve been distant because you’re leaving” thing didn’t work because they actually have had more interaction in the past few episodes than they did between the First Time and Heart.

Oh, and I didn’t like that they played the “I changed schools for you. Isn’t that enough to show my love for you?” card. Well, that was months ago. It just had the feeling of resentment that Kurt mentioned when Blaine said he was transferring. It was like Blaine was saying that he made this huge sacrifice for Kurt and Kurt should be eternally grateful for it.

I will say for the most part, I didn’t find Darren as annoying as I usually do, but that doesn’t mean I thought he was good. I didn’t think his emotions were particularly on target in the bedroom scene or the scene in Emma’s office. They weren’t that convincing, but at least they didn’t make me want to throw things at my TV. So that’s progress, I guess.

As for the non-Klaine stuff. I kind of liked that Will wanted to push the wedding up to ensure that the Glee kids would be there for the wedding. While I agree with whoever said that Will needs more adult friends (I can’t remember who wrote that), I also like that he feels so connected to these kids, and that he wants them there. It’s kind of heartwarming.

I knew the Quinn and Joe storyline was going to come from the moment that she went over to him at the Sugar Shack in Heart, but I don’t really like them. It kind of bugs me that they have a naïve sophomore going after a senior. The difference in the maturity level of a sophomore boy and a senior girl is a huge gap. I just don’t buy it, and it seems like Quinn’s focus should be on her recovery not romance.

That’s all I have time to write for now. Thanks for reading 
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 4/25/2012, 10:32 am

Oh, one more comment. It really did seem like RIB and the writers have heard what we said, and put it in the story but did it in a way to mock us.

We want someone to pursue and find Kurt appealing--we get it but not the hot appealing guy we were hoping for--we get Chandler, who is geeky and nerdy and not particularly attractive.

Kurt expresses so much of the frustration that we have about the Klaine relationship, and how does Blaine respond? By saying, “You should talk to me about it.” How many episodes in a row did these boys go through without having a real conversation?

I almost felt like the clothing choice for Kurt in “I Have Nothing” was a direct message to me. I sent many tweets asking for an epic Kurt solo like “As If We Never Said Goodbye.” It was like having Kurt dressed in the same basic outfit with similar shots was saying, “Here’s your epic Kurt solo. Now stop tweeting us about it.”
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/25/2012, 11:11 am

Jellyrolls wrote:Oh, one more comment. It really did seem like RIB and the writers have heard what we said, and put it in the story but did it in a way to mock us.

The amount of meta in the recent episode is reaching ridiculous levels.

As Glorfindel had pointed out before, they turn all these complaints voiced by fans into meta jokes on the show and it's lazy and poor writing (and NOT the clever writing which they think they're doing). It's almost like, 'We hear your complaints, and we'll even acknowledge them in the dialogues on the show-- see, fan service-- but we're still going to continue doing things our way.' What's the use of acknowledging the weaknesses in the scripts and storylines when you're not bothered to do anything to fix the problems?
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 4/25/2012, 11:48 am

Glorinfel:
- Thank God that Chris made Kurt’s ‘I Have Nothing’ into a power song, more defiant, and not an apology song. I don’t think I could have stomached that. But it should have been after the counseling, not before.

Thank you, I thought I was the only one who interpreted the song that way. It's almost like if Kurt was saying that they both know that Kurt loves Blaine so what is the problem.

Of course scratch a little deeper and that wasn't Blaine's problem at all...
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 4/25/2012, 11:53 am

One new thing that the show did reveal was Kurt telling Blaine "you even called him" regarding Sebastian, indicating that some of the communication between Blaine and Sebastian was initiated by Blaine.

That was interesting.

So Blaine calls up the guy who calls him "sex on a stick" and wants to bed him and thinks that as long as his boyfriend doesn't know about it it's OK. Even though he knows his boyfriend Kurt was already uncomfortable with Sebastian. But texting someone is "cheating" warranting a call out in front of the whole choir room.

OK. Rolling Eyes

Last edited by Buenos on 4/25/2012, 11:54 am; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typos)
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 4/25/2012, 2:07 pm

Also, what is an "asp". At first I though that was written in stead of "ass" but now I'm not so sure.

It was supposedly the snake with which Cleopatra committed suicide by having it bite her breast.
So it was a play on words for Chandler to say that Kurt had a great ass.

I loved it, but it wasn't exactly an "innocent" text.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 15 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 9 ... 15  Next