Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

TV Series you want to discuss, it's here

+27
ColferInspired
coxfire
Georgette888
Buenos
Ireth
glimmerle
Lottie2303
ColdFlame96
arina
Glorfindel
bayth
MoviesAreLife
valkeakuulas
Sani
zuppid
ChrisColferFan1
emilynna
ColferGirl
BlueJazz
Emile
Kurt Hummel
Delight
paulopf
tanita_mors
brisallie
fantastica
Shinra17
31 posters

Page 12 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next

Go down

TV Series you want to discuss, it's here - Page 12 Empty Re: TV Series you want to discuss, it's here

Post  Glorfindel 12/24/2013, 3:36 pm

^What a great tease!  neutre 
That's how you keep people interested.

I'm planning on watching the previous episodes this Christmas holiday (never got around to it before), so I can enjoy the new episodes along with the Sherlock fandom on tumblr.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

TV Series you want to discuss, it's here - Page 12 Empty Re: TV Series you want to discuss, it's here

Post  Lottie2303 12/24/2013, 4:15 pm

Just ditched my family right before dinner, because, well it is Sherlock. So, so, so, so good! Enjoy the show, Marie Smile

Off to eat food.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 12/24/2013, 4:38 pm

i did a full 6 episode rewatch of sherlock this weekend.  Smile 

i'm preparing right now to rewatch the extended version of the hobbit an unexpected journey, to go into the smaug one tomorrow.  phr34r 
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 12/24/2013, 4:48 pm

TV Series you want to discuss, it's here - Page 12 Large

I can't wait for Sherlock's return.  I wonder how John is going to react...   suspectt
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/24/2013, 11:06 pm

i tried to watch it a year ago but failed, because my old "smart" tv did not have subtitles for netflix. this time i have a new Roku machine and i was able to enjoy the show. there's no way i can understand the dialogue w/o the subtitles. i have seen BC talk in interviews and he talks fast too, and he just talks talks talks talks.... he reminds me of Lea in group interviews.  Smile 
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 12/25/2013, 8:46 pm

The new Doctor Who episode really was disappointing  :( 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 1/1/2014, 11:19 pm

For those of you who can't wait for Sherlock - here's a link

OMG.  Talk about tense.  I love John's reaction to finding out Sherlock is alive.  It was written perfectly.  But what happens later... I hate them for that, but love them just the same.  Benedict Cumberbatch and Martin Freeman are so good.  Sigh.  I'm so happy it's back on the air.

And another ep this Sunday... YAY!
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 1/2/2014, 1:01 pm

I was underwhelmed by the new Doctor Who ep. But I loved the new Sherlock ep! I loved Anderson's theory as well as the fangirl's theory...and it was nice how there was stuff for all the different shippers. It was quite a funny episode, and very different from the previous darker and serious one.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 1/2/2014, 1:06 pm

yeah, i enjoyed it as well. it was fun, really fun.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/2/2014, 6:17 pm

I was only able to watch the first season of 'Sherlock' before I saw the new (3rd season) episode on Jan. 1, and I really like the series so far.

The new episode was a lot of fun, and I loved the different theories on how Sherlock 'died', including the kisses for the several ships, lol.  Razz 
What I also liked was the way Watson reacted to Sherlock being back (spoiler alert: attacking him and beating him up 3 times).

Sherlock is really a terrible person.  Smile 

With a little luck I get the time to watch season 2 within the next week or so.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 1/2/2014, 8:32 pm

i just have to comment. the part about serbians in the start really had me rolling my eyes. first of all, the accents i heard didn't sound serbian, more like bosnian or from kosovo, albanians speaking serbian . second, the uniforms with those huge trooper hats, those are russian, not serbian - our military doesn't have those. we don't have barons or what ever that was. a bit more research couldn't have killed them.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/2/2014, 9:11 pm

^I think most people who live in a certain country will hardly ever be happy with how their country or its people are portrayed in a movie or tv-series. Film-makers often just throw a few countries' particulars (like the military hats, habits and language) together in a big bowl and make one big fake stereotype out of it. Whether it's the Russian cold war type or the Asian Eastern arabic type, or any other stereotype.

The way they portray Dutch people (who somehow all magically live in Amsterdam), or Germans or French people for that matter, has me rolling my eyes often..... and they hardly ever get the language right either. But I know I notice these mistakes because I'm Dutch and live in Europe, while most viewers of a show, the viewers in e.g. England and the U.S. don't watch (and think) beyond the stereotype tv and film usually presents them with.

For instance: tbh, for me it didn't even register that those soldiers in 'Sherlock' were from Serbia. All I noticed was an army from a country 'behind the iron curtain' (as we used to call Russia and other East European countries before the Berlin wall fell) and they were not friendly to Sherlock (of course not: because it's 'just' a stereotype of the rigid cold war soldier and we're not supposed to think too much of it).
But I understand that you, as someone from Serbia, saw right through it all and noticed the mistakes they made. And I agree that a little research goes a long way, especially for a good show like 'Sherlock'.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 1/3/2014, 3:06 am

the foreign accents are not to be taken seriously. they are spoken by actors who "look" the part and are often learning to speak phonetically shortly before the shoot, w/ the help of a language coach. I am a native Chinese speaker. There's an episode in Spooks/MI-5 in which many "chinese" people were mumbling some sort of "chinese". All I could tell is that none of them are native chinese speakers. I heard that pretty much all of the actors who play Arabs are Isrealis. They can speak some arabic but w/ Isrealis accents. Movies/shows just want to show english speakers that these characters are speaking a particular foreign language. If you don't know the language, you wouldn't mind if their accents are all over the place. but, if you happen to speak that particular language, it can be very irritating and down right distracting.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 1/3/2014, 7:32 am

it's a just a show so i don't take it to seriously, but i was ticked by mycrofts statement that serbian was "so easy", just a little russian and some german words and you are ready. give me a break. no one, and i mean no one serbian could be fulled by someone who isn't a native speaker. our language is difficult, particularly for native speakers of germanic languages, english in particular because the grammar, syntax, and rules of speaking of english is child's play compered to serbian and i'm not saying that because it's my language.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 1/3/2014, 8:03 am

In the short video during the trial scene with all those Germans, the accents were also so wrong. Clearly English-speaking people were cast (same in the very second episode when Sherlock steals this book from German tourists). However the main guy actually sounded very good. Also FOX is very bad with German accents. The main actress from Bones is supposed to talk perfect German and I had no idea she was actually talking in my language until I was told so.

I loved the episode. Much more comedy then expected and all those FF-moments were golden. Honestly, that was one major loveletter to the tumbrl fandom  Razz 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/3/2014, 4:06 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:In the short video during the trial scene with all those Germans, the accents were also so wrong. Clearly English-speaking people were cast (same in the very second episode when Sherlock steals this book from German tourists). However the main guy actually sounded very good. Also FOX is very bad with German accents. The main actress from Bones is supposed to talk perfect German and I had no idea she was actually talking in my language until I was told so.
Yes, I remember all these scenes and examples, even the Bones one! The best was indeed the male tourist Sherlock stole the book from, but the rest was bad.

I can accept english speaking people to not get the native accent and all the sounds right of a foreign language, so I don't mind it when characters try to speak a foreign language and then have a heavy accent (like Sherlock did; but in the case of Bones she stated she is fluent in German with no accent, which she is definitely not).
But when there are native speakers (characters) in a series or movie, my guess is that 90% of the time the actors who portray those characters do not speak the language properly. I understand that sometimes certain languages/foreign actors are hard to come by or just to expensive to fly in from another country (like the Serbian soldiers) but often I feel that the studios are just sloppy and/or trying to save a buck when they think that people won't notice.

Ivana: I completely agree with the Mycroft comment on Serbian language: I don't know your language of course, but there are very few languages that are easy to learn if you just know 1 or 2 other languages that on the surface sound like it.
Like: if you speak Russian you can't easily speak another Baltic originated language, Portugese is not almost the same as Spanish, and Dutch is not like German. Maybe some sounds and words are similar and can be deducted from another language (like I can sort of understand some words my Swedish sister in law uses), but often the grammatical rules of each language are very different, and faking to be fluent in a language (like Mycroft did) by throwing a few other languages together is simply not possibe.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 1/3/2014, 11:12 pm

These kinds of things (poor research and stereotyping other cultures) really annoy me, but I have to say, many times I don't realize these things if the culture is one I am unfamiliar with. Only when it is pointed out to me do I look at the scene differently and feel annoyed.

But I learnt long ago to just let it go because I wouldn't be able to enjoy most shows if I focussed on such things.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/3/2014, 11:18 pm

Even Mexican or Hispanic accents that American network TV should get are hit and miss.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 1/4/2014, 9:09 pm

Only just got to watch 'the Empty Hearse' today, after using someone else's broadband internet to download the Sherlock episode yesterday. It's a surprisingly fun episode written by Gattiss. The 'case' of the episode isn't particularly clever, but the focus of the episode is on what's important. Which in this case, is the tense reunion of Sherlock and Watson. Loved watching the rugby tackle, the strangulation attempt and the head butt.

Glorfindel wrote:
What I also liked was the way Watson reacted to Sherlock being back (spoiler alert: attacking him and beating him up 3 times).

Call me a sadist, but I thought that was the best part of the episode Smile

Sherlock needs someone like John Watson to bring him down to earth. Otherwise he'll come across as entirely too smug and insufferable.

I like the Sherlock and Mycroft moments in the movie too. Their reminiscing over the 'other children' and their talk about gold fishes are hilarious.

fantastica wrote:the foreign accents are not to be taken seriously. they are spoken by actors who "look" the part and are often learning to speak phonetically shortly before the shoot, w/ the help of a language coach. I am a native Chinese speaker. There's an episode in Spooks/MI-5 in which many "chinese" people were mumbling some sort of "chinese". All I could tell is that none of them are native chinese speakers.

You should have a listen to the characters in 'Firefly' attempting to curse in Chinese. It sounded like an alien language...  ooppss 
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 1/4/2014, 10:07 pm

Any Queer As Folk fans out there?  I just binged watched the entire series.  All 82 episodes in the last week. Groundbreaking series for the time 2000-2005.  I'm in love with the characters - especially Justin (Sunshine), Emmett, Brian and Debbie.  *Warning*- for those that haven't watched it - a lot of sex is shown, but by the end of the series it's just part of the story and the relationships.  It's raunchy to the extreme.

Randy Harrison as Justin is wonderful.  I love his character so much.  A naive gay boy roaming the gay scene in Pittsburgh and he falls under Brian's spell.

Gale Howard plays Brian- a heartless SOB, but by the end of the run - he shows his heart to everyone.

QAF is based on a British series of the same name that only was shown as a mini-series.

If you enjoy good story-telling - give it a try.  You won't be sorry.

Last edited by bayth on 1/5/2014, 12:01 am; edited 1 time in total
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 1/4/2014, 10:31 pm

i started watching it some time ago. stopped mid season 2. it was interesting and when i have the time i'll resume it. i rather like emmett the the best. the guy who plays brian is hot as hell but the character is such a douche. it's a pretty good show.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 1/4/2014, 11:59 pm

tanita_mors wrote:i started watching it some time ago. stopped mid season 2. it was interesting and when i have the time i'll resume it. i rather like emmett the the best. the guy who plays brian is hot as hell but the character is such a douche. it's a pretty good show.

Brian is a douche, but in the end? not so bad.
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 1/6/2014, 3:07 am

Sherlock tonight was LOL funny.  OMG.  I laughed from beginning to end. Here's a link
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 1/6/2014, 6:02 am

it was probably the best episode yet in my opinion. at first it was just unbelievably LOLastic and not very connected, with all those kind of uncomplicated cases and then when sherlock connected them and the reception, it was just WOW. my favorite episode, maybe even more then scandal at belgravia.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 1/6/2014, 8:20 am

I loved this Sherlock ep-it had the right combination of comedy and drama. At first I thought it would just be a filler episode based on the beginning, but there was a good mystery and everything connected well together.

Also, did you guys see Alfie Enoch (Dean Thomas) from the Harry Potter movies? That boy is fine  blushh 
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 12 of 27 Previous  1 ... 7 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 19 ... 27  Next