Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9

+30
TimF
MissSoniaPP
tanita_mors
karmapolice
glimmerle
GreenEyes
Georgette888
teardrop
Ireth
kac
SippyCupofLuv
brisallie
sheny
opals
coxfire
Delight
valkeakuulas
ChrisColferFan1
Ranwing
arina
ColdFlame96
Glorfindel
Divalicious
ColferInspired
Buenos
AnneNeville
fantastica
Jellyrolls
Lottie2303
MoviesAreLife
34 posters

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9 - Page 22 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9

Post  AnneNeville 8/30/2013, 12:11 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:Move the entire show to NYC. Take some of the seniors along for the ride, let the others go and create new characters from NYADA and other NYC sets. So, they can actually re-vamp the show, have new characters they seem to be interested in, but also have the opportunity ti discover and tell new stories, we haven't seen yet, because it doesn't fit HS. It is scarily easy, but Glee seems to be tempted to do everything, but not go the obvious road.
I don't think they are interested in the show anymore, not really, so they're unlikely to manage to create characters they are interested in. I think right now it's a product they are plugging formulas into, trying to keep it running. Like trying to shove the right cog into place will make it "go."

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9 - Page 22 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9

Post  brisallie 8/30/2013, 12:18 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
Lottie2303 wrote:Move the entire show to NYC. Take some of the seniors along for the ride, let the others go and create new characters from NYADA and other NYC sets. So, they can actually re-vamp the show, have new characters they seem to be interested in, but also have the opportunity ti discover and tell new stories, we haven't seen yet, because it doesn't fit HS. It is scarily easy, but Glee seems to be tempted to do everything, but not go the obvious road.
I don't think they are interested in the show anymore, not really, so they're unlikely to manage to create characters they are interested in. I think right now it's a product they are plugging formulas into, trying to keep it running. Like trying to shove the right cog into place will make it "go."
I'm agree with you. I think they're trying as much possible to keep Glee as is now, with the enough sponsors and rating to not be cancelled before season 6. But, when it comes to storylines, is like a trial and error.

Personally, I don't know about Brian and Ian, but as regards Ryan, I think he's more into AHS than Glee.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MissSoniaPP 8/31/2013, 12:33 pm

brisallie wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
I'm agree with you. I think they're trying as much possible to keep Glee as is now, with  the enough sponsors and rating to not be cancelled before season 6. But, when it comes to storylines, is like a trial and error.

Personally, I don't know about Brian and Ian, but as regards Ryan, I think he's more into AHS than Glee.
I also think Ryan no longer cares about Glee.
That's the impression he gives on Twitter. unsure 
MissSoniaPP
MissSoniaPP
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 8/31/2013, 12:34 pm

Somone did a gif set of Glee as other TV shows that was amusing, but this one had me laughing so I had to share (in spoiler tags because you know who is in it):

Spoiler:

You can see the other ones at the source
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 8/31/2013, 12:39 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:Somone did a gif set of Glee as other TV shows that was amusing, but this one had me laughing so I had to share (in spoiler tags because you know who is in it):

Spoiler:

OMG! ptdr 
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/31/2013, 2:22 pm

Jellyrolls wrote:Somone did a gif set of Glee as other TV shows that was amusing, but this one had me laughing so I had to share (in spoiler tags because you know who is in it):

Spoiler:

ptdr 

Thanks for this Jelly

P.S Looking at the source, I like this one

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 9 - Page 22 Tumblr_mse6y9HS3z1qisblmo3_250
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 8/31/2013, 2:36 pm

That jawline is totally flawless. Plus the hair. FOX=IDIOTS if they can't see past a person's sexuality to see what sexy really looks like.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 8/31/2013, 7:08 pm

Chris's 3/4 left profile is amazing, he can never take a bad photo. wub 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 9/10/2013, 2:33 pm

I'm coming here to roll my eyes at the very idea that getting a mere ensemble roll would be a "failure" for the divine Rachel Berry.
Rolling Eyes 

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/10/2013, 3:23 pm

AnneNeville wrote:I'm coming here to roll my eyes at the very idea that getting a mere ensemble roll would be a "failure" for the divine Rachel Berry.
Rolling Eyes 
For anyone else, getting an ensemble roll in a major Broadway production literally their first time out of the gate and without a shred of any professional stage experience would be a major win. If this was Kurt we were talking about, he would be dancing out of his skin with glee.

But this is Rachel we're talking about. The girl who keeps being told by everyone around her what a star she is. That she's Barbra's heir apparent. That she's a one in a million voice and there's no one greater than her and.... Sleep

Rachel has never been much of a team player unless she was leading the team in a starring role. She has never been gracious or supportive when someone else has the lead (seeing them as usurping her rightful place). Rachel is the star or she's nothing and being asked to take an ensemble role would be nothing less than a slap to the face for her. And the idea that she could smile and sing in the chorus while someone else is playing her part is pretty laughable. Taking small parts and working her way up to leads is for other people (like Kurt). Not Rachel Snowflake Queen Berry.

I just keep remembering back in ep one of season 4, when Cassandra's TA had to drop out because he got cast as a flying monkey in Wicked and seemed absolutely thrilled. Kurt would be happy to don the monkey costume if it meant having a real part in a Broadway show. But Rachel has to be the lead or nothing at all.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/10/2013, 3:37 pm

Ranwing wrote: But Rachel has to be the lead or nothing at all.
She has been consistently written that way, that is the one characterization that Glee hasn't really tampered with. However, the show really doesn't know what to do with Rachel's talent and drive.

The writers need to constantly hammer it home RAchel needs lessons in humility while at the same time giving her every prize/role/win possible without breaking a sweat. It's just a bizarre mix.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/10/2013, 3:50 pm

It's hard to expect a character to learn humility when everyone around her kisses her ass. I actually adored Cassandra because this was the first time in... forever... that we had a character that wasn't impressed by Rachel, wasn't going to cater to her, and wasn't going to go out of her way to make things easy for her. Rachel so desperately needs someone like this, who isn't going to stand there and tell her how amazing she is all the time. I'd hoped that we'd found that with Carmen Tibideaux, but they utterly ruined her by having her admit Rachel after giving a very clear and reasonable explaination of why her conduct was not going to get her what she wanted. Then then they had to go and ruin Cassandra as well with that absurd "I always knew you were special" bullshit that she spouted off.

Rachel has always been the girl who gets all the prizes yet still complains because she hasn't gotten absolutely everything. This past season was especially difficult for me to swallow because besides having Cassandra giving her a rough time, her time at NYADA was an absolute breeze. Gets admitted to the most competative theatrical program in the country after blowing chunks at her audition? Why not? First freshman to win Winter Showcase? Of course. Makes it to the final callback round in one of the biggest and most anticipated Broadway show in ages? Of course.

I have no issue with Rachel being driven and ambitious. That is something that we need to encourage more in young women. What I dislike and have always disliked is her sense of entitlement and the way she expects everyone around her to cater to her needs. I was furious that the last Nationals that ND performed became the Rachel Berry Show in order to give her a boost into NYADA while Kurt, the best team player ND had in all the years it has been in existance, got nothing.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 9/10/2013, 4:00 pm

Ranwing wrote:It's hard to expect a character to learn humility when everyone around her kisses her ass. I actually adored Cassandra because this was the first time in... forever... that we had a character that wasn't impressed by Rachel, wasn't going to cater to her, and wasn't going to go out of her way to make things easy for her. Rachel so desperately needs someone like this, who isn't going to stand there and tell her how amazing she is all the time. I'd hoped that we'd found that with Carmen Tibideaux, but they utterly ruined her by having her admit Rachel after giving a very clear and reasonable explaination of why her conduct was not going to get her what she wanted. Then then they had to go and ruin Cassandra as well with that absurd "I always knew you were special" bullshit that she spouted off.

Rachel has always been the girl who gets all the prizes yet still complains because she hasn't gotten absolutely everything. This past season was especially difficult for me to swallow because besides having Cassandra giving her a rough time, her time at NYADA was an absolute breeze. Gets admitted to the most competative theatrical program in the country after blowing chunks at her audition? Why not? First freshman to win Winter Showcase? Of course. Makes it to the final callback round in one of the biggest and most anticipated Broadway show in ages? Of course.

I have no issue with Rachel being driven and ambitious. That is something that we need to encourage more in young women. What I dislike and have always disliked is her sense of entitlement and the way she expects everyone around her to cater to her needs. I was furious that the last Nationals that ND performed became the Rachel Berry Show in order to give her a boost into NYADA while Kurt, the best team player ND had in all the years it has been in existance, got nothing.
Thank you so much for so eloquently putting all my problems with Rachel and her storyline in words. It is basically the reason why I have never been and never will be a Rachel fan.

Another complaint, no matter how many obstacles they may put in her way, we know the final outcome. All of us know she'll get Funny Price eventually anyway. So why should I care about her journey? It is not one that interests me, as I actually prefer to watch real underdogs, who needed to fight just to get acknowledged.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/10/2013, 4:00 pm

Ranwing wrote:It's hard to expect a character to learn humility when everyone around her kisses her ass.
What I don't like is that the writers criticize Rachel's  drive without addressing a path of  genuine struggle.  (To a lesser degree it's the same problem with Blaine, never losing).  They don't seem to get that it makes her less interesting as far as her journey.

Ironically, that was the flip side  problem with Kurt, they made him lose all the time so that made the journey less interesting.

Having said that , Rachel and Kurt are still the most developed characters on Glee, which sometimes I suppose is damning with faint praise.  Razz
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 9/10/2013, 4:02 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
Ranwing wrote:It's hard to expect a character to learn humility when everyone around her kisses her ass. I actually adored Cassandra because this was the first time in... forever... that we had a character that wasn't impressed by Rachel, wasn't going to cater to her, and wasn't going to go out of her way to make things easy for her. Rachel so desperately needs someone like this, who isn't going to stand there and tell her how amazing she is all the time. I'd hoped that we'd found that with Carmen Tibideaux, but they utterly ruined her by having her admit Rachel after giving a very clear and reasonable explaination of why her conduct was not going to get her what she wanted. Then then they had to go and ruin Cassandra as well with that absurd "I always knew you were special" bullshit that she spouted off.

Thank you so much for so eloquently putting all my problems with Rachel and her storyline in words. It is basically the reason why I have never been and never will be a Rachel fan.

Another complaint, no matter how many obstacles they may put in her way, we know the final outcome. All of us know she'll get Funny Price eventually anyway. So why should I care about her journey? It is not one that interests me, as I actually prefer to watch real underdogs, who needed to fight just to get acknowledged.
Yeah, I'd be much more interested in her journey if it were not so telegraphed. I want to watch someone battling the odds to realize his/her Broadway dreams. I don't want to watch it handed to her.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/10/2013, 4:29 pm

What makes a character's struggles interesting is when there is a real probability for failure. Where nothing is certain and the odds are very much against them and they lose at least as often as they win. Kurt and Rachel are two extremes at how out of balance the show has gotten in showing struggles.

Both of them have similar goals - to be professional actors (though Rachel has the more specific goal of being a big star on par with Barbra Streisand). Both of them are exceptionally talented in their own way and both of them have very real weaknesses. But we get Rachel who wins (at least as far as her professional goals are) each and every time and her real losses are few and far between. Kurt loses almost every time and his very real victories (that aren't forgotten about a week later) are rare as hen's teeth. It's in a way as hard to get enthusiastic about Kurt's struggles because we know that more likey than not, he's going to lose.

I have no issue with Rachel eventually finding success on the stage. What I have an issue with is having it be so damned easy (and I have friends who have worked in the industry for years and know full well just how hard it is to land lead role in any production, least of all a big Broadway show). And I'm sick to death of this nonsense that only Rachel can win a big prize of if Kurt wins anything at all, Rachel's win has to be bigger because she's so amazing. I would feel less resentful of Rachel if Kurt wasn't always being overshadowed by her and allowed victories in his own right.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/10/2013, 5:53 pm

In a way the new New Directions are becoming mini versions of Rachel.  They don't really struggle as a choir and already as sophomores they are heading to Nationals because the Warblers cheated?

Why should we care about them when they aren't even underdogs in any way , shape or form?

Yet I find them infinitely worse than Rachel.   At least you can say Rachel has whacked out crazy ambition, this ND just shrugs and gets things handed to them and win or lose is not a big deal for  them.  Glee is just "fun".  Marley whimpers, whines  and is a magical  songwriter lead/ singer/financially poor  ingenue with her mocked and persecuted  obese mom so we  "have" to root for.  Meh.  

I'd rather see crazy ambitious  Rachel winning than ND winning, as the far lesser of two evils to put things in perspective.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 9/10/2013, 11:14 pm

Actually Glee hasn't really been about underdogs since Blaine came into the world.  He is given a sad past, being bullied to the point of being beaten up, so he can be seen to have been treated even worse than Kurt, supposedly, I guess.  But this has NEVER entered his on screen life.  He is held to be the epitome of manhood, gay or not.  The most talent and charm, not my words, but the way he is treated by the writers.

Then he is surrounded by a group of largely very attractive and talented people, who also have contrived issues to make you feel sorry for them.  Also in their past, also to show they have been treated bad.  Kurt is really the only one on the show to face on-going adversity, to the point of sexual harassment and having a teacher that never once let him shine in a competition.  This is the character they put in the background, to give their show some weight I guess, while handing everything else to the same people who have been handed stuff all along.  I include Rachel in this as well.  

I don't hate these people, but I am tired of them always winning and Kurt always having to take the higher group and raise a brave chin because he is not the guy that fits in.  I see myself in Kurt, not because I am a young, effeminate gay boy, but because I was judged on my appearance and I did not fit in.  I don't see my coming of age years in any of the current kids, most certainly not Blaine, because in the real world someone dressing like he does, and greasing his hair, would be pummeled on a fairly regular basis.

When Glee stopped being about the underdog I stopped enjoying this show.  I am so very over Glee, but not over Kurt, so I keep watching, but I find some stuff actually painful to try to get through.  I am also annoyed by them spending tons of time of stupid things, like cat fishing, or what to get Rachel for Christmas or picking out wedding chairs..  I can't help but feel someone neglected, like Kurt, could have used a short scene to actually do something other than support someone else's story.

And I think the only reason they are giving the newbies Nationals is because Blaine is graduating, so they have even more reason to give him all the songs that Rachel would normally have had. Oh joy. Predicting it now, a very Blee National's/graduation. May his adult life be full of disappointment and adversity, HAH!

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/11/2013, 12:26 am

I don't deny the show has major flaws, but IMO they have always been there even since Season 1. Unsatisfying conclusions to SL's , narrative incoherence, lack of character consistency, etc, so that is nothing new to Glee.

What happened was that in Season One there was a definite storyline arc for Kurt. He had to accept himself, he came out to his Dad and his friends, and he struggled to find acceptance in the larger world. However this was done in the context of a larger ensemble cast that from the very beginning, the main focus was on RAchel and Finn as lead characters with Kurt and others supporting SL's but not every episode.

Even by season two the gay outsider SL theme with Kurt was interesting at times, but sometimes overwrought, and the variations of it by Season 3 were tired and trite.

Just me, but to complain about Rachel getting storyline focus is like complaining that grass is green. fanny2 

OF course I agree the show woefully underutilized Kurt the last year but we'll see how it goes this year. However from day one the show never was the Kurt Hummel show nor pretended to be, no matter how much I or others hoped it would morph into that. The good thing we are all united here in our appreciation of the character Kurt and the actor Chris Colfer. So that is win/win despite disagreeing on different particulars which is OK. Variety is the spice of life.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 9/11/2013, 3:13 am

I don't mind that Rachel gets screentime, as she is the main character and deserves focus. But RIB are doing something very, very wrong, when so many complain about Rachel success. I mean, I should root for her, but I want to see her fail badly. RIB don't realize how much they hurt Rachel as character by always letting her win. Another problem, in order to have her win they sacrifice relationships/established storylines/other characters. Kurt had to loose NYADA because they wanted Rachel alone in NYC. After the entire stalking Carmen storyline and Kurts loses all throughout S3, I don't get how anyone in higher positions of FOX didn't realize how it would anger the fans.

Glee was never about the underdogs. Even in S1 they were more interested to focus on the popular kids and the real underdogs were props. Kurt became extremely successful, so they extended his role. But funnily Tina and Artie got the shortstick, while the popular cheerleader and football player (Santana, Brit and Mike) received much more attention. They kicked Lauren off the show, even though she actually really represented a girl that is never seen in a positive light in HW. The Newbies are just a failure. None of them are underdogs and they are not as unique and special as the originals. I mean, everyone commented how they shouldn't have won regionals. So much going back again to Rachel and not rooting for the main show choir.

Another thing that bothers me, I am convinced RIB didn't hire another, talented actress to have her compete with Rachel. Isn't it funny that S2 and 3 has mainly new male cast members? Or how the female ones all cannot sing (Lauren, Sugar). How Mercedes suddenly became lazy even though she has a killer voice and was never utilized during competition? Yet another reason I don't like her. In general, FOX has to try forcing me to like characters (the newbies, Rachel), because it will usually always fail.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 9/11/2013, 3:32 am

Lottie2303 wrote:r. In general, FOX has to try forcing me to like characters (the newbies, Rachel), because it will usually always fail.
I just have a hard time putting Rachel on an equal footing with the Newbies.   Rachel/Lea was popular since Season One and was a breakout star.  Now that doesn't  mean everyone has to like her (ditto Kurt or any other character), but I do think the newbies are force fed down people's throats and are still not breakout stars, whereas Rachel/Lea, love her or hate her ,was/ is popular and a star among the GA.  

One can't deny that she deserves a lot of credit for the original smash success of Glee.  What credit to the newbies deserve in comparison? I don't  group them in the same  breath.   They're fine kids/actors  but they don't  deserve to carry her mike stand, or Kurt's for that matter.

It's not "hatred"   it's just facing the fact that the Newbies have not caught on and it's in vain to think they can still be stars at this late date.

Yes, Rachel's character is treated with kid gloves, but in different ways I think so is Kurt,  (to Chris chagrin, when he says "why does Kurt have to take the high ground) but that doesn't stop both of them from being wildly popular among so many fans.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 9/11/2013, 4:14 am

Buenos wrote:I just have a hard time putting Rachel on an equal footing with the Newbies.   Rachel/Lea was popular since Season One and was a breakout star.  Now that doesn't  mean everyone has to like her (ditto Kurt or any other character), but I do think the newbies are force fed down people's throats and are still not breakout stars, whereas Rachel/Lea, love her or hate her ,was/ is popular and a star among the GA.  

One can't deny that she deserves a lot of credit for the original smash success of Glee.  What credit to the newbies deserve in comparison? I don't  group them in the same  breath.   They're fine kids/actors  but they don't  deserve to carry her mike stand, or Kurt's for that matter.

It's not "hatred"   it's just facing the fact that the Newbies have not caught on and it's in vain to think they can still be stars at this late date.

Yes, Rachel's character is treated with kid gloves, but in different ways I think so is Kurt,  (to Chris chagrin, when he says "why does Kurt have to take the high ground) but that doesn't stop both of them from being wildly popular among so many fans.
Yes, of course Rachel and the Newbies are totally different animals. I am also aware that Rachel is the most favorite female character of Glee. It was worded badly. I meant, FOX has to stop forcing me to believe she is one in a million, deserves all successes no matter how unrealistic, and how all other characters are allowed to be dismissed/ignored so Rachel can get her goal. Honestly, S4 would have been amazing to watch with Kurt in NYADA and Rachel struggling as non-student. It would have changed all dynamics, given her amazing storylines, given Rachel more personaility and her eventual success would have been great to watch. Now I only know she'll get all her goals anyway, they may just prolong it to have some "drama".

But yeah, the Newbies cannot be compared to any of the cast members. It is truly a failed experience in how to make characters popular.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 9/11/2013, 8:56 am

Although I understand is must be tiring to see how Rachel is treated like if she were someone 'special' and deserves to get everything in life so easily,unlike the newbies, is a character that still gets the attention of the audience. And the same goes for Lea. I don't mean the new characters/actors haven't been named in the press, but I think is only because Fox has scheduled those interviews as a way to promote them, but I don't see the media being so interested on them, as they're with Lea and Chris for instance.

And I need to say this, as much as I'd love to see Kurt being as successful as Rachel (because he deserves it more), I understand that Rachel has always been the lead star. However, it doesn't mean everyone has to props her, this's still an ensemble cast, and each character should have their personal storyline. Some with more importance than others of course. I've always believed Glee should be divided into Leads, Supportive and Background characters.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ranwing 9/11/2013, 10:01 am

The funny thing that in seasons one and two, Rachel was actually allowed to lose every now and then. She didn't always get her way and people weren't rushing about to help her at every turn. When she complained about Tina getting the solo that she wanted, Schu didn't back down. Even when she quit the team over that solo, he didn't give in to her demands and Rachel was the one who had to swallow her pride to come back. Mercedes challenged her for the right to do their Sectionals solo and won (even if she didn't actually get to perform it). Kurt may have thrown the Defying Gravity competition with her, but it wasn't because he thought she should have it. Rachel's wins were kept reasonable and in check.

The same with ND as a whole. They lost Sectionals their first year and the loss was allowed to stand (no going behind the scenes to get VA disqualified on some bullshit pretense). They lost their first try at Nationals (due to Rachel and Finn being unable to keep their personal issues in check). No one came swooping in to save them from losing. Now we have the new New Directions and they are just skating on to Nationals and it means nothing to them. Most of the group hadn't suffered and done the hard work to deserve this. They're just filling in places vacated by those who had gone before them and I found it offensive that they are basically riding on the coattails of the original group and benefiting from the hard work and sacrifices they made.

My chief problem with Rachel winning so often is that for her to win, all to often someone else has to lose. They made getting into NAYDA such a be all, end all and then so restrictive that at best only one could get it and it set Rachel and Kurt up in competition with one another (even if they didn't see that they were actually competing against one another for one of those 20 spots). And when Jane spoiled it and let us know that only one of them would get admitted, it was clear that it would be either or between them. This was the biggest example of Rachel benefiting because one of the other characters get thrown under the bus. Or if one of the other characters wins something for themselves, Rachel's next win has to be bigger and more important to overshadow it (like turning the Winter Showcase into a competition so that Rachel could have a win that would surpass Kurt's showstopping performance and eventual admission into NYADA). Kurt wins Midnight Madness against Rachel, but Rachel goes on to be in serious contention for her dream Broadway role. It just gets tiring after awhile.

I totally get that Rachel is the lead (as much as this show can have one) and that her story will get a huge amount of focus. But they've stripped her story of any real challenges and suspence and made it deathly dull viewing. It's hard to get enthusiatic about Rachel's journey if everything is preordained and you know that any challenges she faces will be temporary at best. There has to be real risk for her, a real liklihood that she fails in order to make any of this mean anything. So many of her recent wins come across as flat and undeserving because they were just pulled out of thin air. The show seems actually afraid of having her really challenged and for the life of me, I don't get why because having her face real adversity in her journey towards her goal would make her story so much more interesting.
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 9/11/2013, 10:18 am

Ranwing wrote:The funny thing that in seasons one and two, Rachel was actually allowed to lose every now and then. She didn't always get her way and people weren't rushing about to help her at every turn. When she complained about Tina getting the solo that she wanted, Schu didn't back down. Even when she quit the team over that solo, he didn't give in to her demands and Rachel was the one who had to swallow her pride to come back. Mercedes challenged her for the right to do their Sectionals solo and won (even if she didn't actually get to perform it). Kurt may have thrown the Defying Gravity competition with her, but it wasn't because he thought she should have it. Rachel's wins were kept reasonable and in check.

The same with ND as a whole. They lost Sectionals their first year and the loss was allowed to stand (no going behind the scenes to get VA disqualified on some bullshit pretense). They lost their first try at Nationals (due to Rachel and Finn being unable to keep their personal issues in check). No one came swooping in to save them from losing. Now we have the new New Directions and they are just skating on to Nationals and it means nothing to them. Most of the group hadn't suffered and done the hard work to deserve this. They're just filling in places vacated by those who had gone before them and I found it offensive that they are basically riding on the coattails of the original group and benefiting from the hard work and sacrifices they made.

My chief problem with Rachel winning so often is that for her to win, all to often someone else has to lose. They made getting into NAYDA such a be all, end all and then so restrictive that at best only one could get it and it set Rachel and Kurt up in competition with one another (even if they didn't see that they were actually competing against one another for one of those 20 spots). And when Jane spoiled it and let us know that only one of them would get admitted, it was clear that it would be either or between them. This was the biggest example of Rachel benefiting because one of the other characters get thrown under the bus. Or if one of the other characters wins something for themselves, Rachel's next win has to be bigger and more important to overshadow it (like turning the Winter Showcase into a competition so that Rachel could have a win that would surpass Kurt's showstopping performance and eventual admission into NYADA). Kurt wins Midnight Madness against Rachel, but Rachel goes on to be in serious contention for her dream Broadway role. It just gets tiring after awhile.

I totally get that Rachel is the lead (as much as this show can have one) and that her story will get a huge amount of focus. But they've stripped her story of any real challenges and suspence and made it deathly dull viewing. It's hard to get enthusiatic about Rachel's journey if everything is preordained and you know that any challenges she faces will be temporary at best. There has to be real risk for her, a real liklihood that she fails in order to make any of this mean anything. So many of her recent wins come across as flat and undeserving because they were just pulled out of thin air. The show seems actually afraid of having her really challenged and for the life of me, I don't get why because having her face real adversity in her journey towards her goal would make her story so much more interesting.
banzai So eloquently said once again. And once again, I totally agree with everything.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 22 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 21, 22, 23 ... 31 ... 40  Next