Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 7

+31
ColdFlame96
confusing
coxfire
glimmerle
bayth
fantastica
Ranwing
Ireth
M&M
AnneNeville
TimF
SippyCupofLuv
opals
sjonnepon
valkeakuulas
ariel189
Divalicious
rooszie
ColferInspired
tanita_mors
Delight
Jellyrolls
Glorfindel
BigDestiny
brisallie
arina
Lottie2303
sheny
Buenos
MoviesAreLife
ChrisColferFan1
35 posters

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 7 - Page 20 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 7

Post  AnneNeville 5/11/2013, 6:13 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:Opinions sought:

Was Ryder absolutely and finally ruined as a character by "All or Nothing"? Because I actually LIKE his character and Blake Jenner. And I will be very snarky if they use this episode to write him off, since only he and Kitty (and Jake's dancing) pop out of the new kids.

(And I am so disappointed that they did nothing but LOVE TRIANGLE with Marley, because I don't think she had to be bland and boring. We needed more of her and her mom/getting kicked by Kitty, and less of the two hot guys in her year wanting her for no clear reason.)

If that was their write-off of him, I'll be pissed. He was the best actor on that side.

The love triangle with Marley reminded me way too much of Twilight, and although the catfish plot ran for way too long and ultimately ended up being disappointing, it gave Blake something else to do, and it made me care about his character to the point that if you didn't root for him, you have no heart.

So even with his angry response (that I've heard about) and his not being willing to completely forgive Unique and his threatening to quit New Directions, he's still salvageable?

I wish they'd made Kitty the catfish. Unique was so obvious. Kitty would have shown a different side to her. And I do not trust Glee to handle a Rydique relationship well. They can't stop having Britt call Unique "Mercedes" for goodness sake!

The fact that they even went there pisses me off and not just because it was obvious, but because its painful having to watch Blake and Alex do scenes together. At least him and Becca were enjoyable because they can both act.

Was it painful because Blake so outclassed Alex that it hurt, or did working with Alex actually bring Blake down?

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 7 - Page 20 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 7

Post  ColdFlame96 5/11/2013, 6:18 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:Opinions sought:

Was Ryder absolutely and finally ruined as a character by "All or Nothing"? Because I actually LIKE his character and Blake Jenner. And I will be very snarky if they use this episode to write him off, since only he and Kitty (and Jake's dancing) pop out of the new kids.

(And I am so disappointed that they did nothing but LOVE TRIANGLE with Marley, because I don't think she had to be bland and boring. We needed more of her and her mom/getting kicked by Kitty, and less of the two hot guys in her year wanting her for no clear reason.)

If that was their write-off of him, I'll be pissed. He was the best actor on that side.

The love triangle with Marley reminded me way too much of Twilight, and although the catfish plot ran for way too long and ultimately ended up being disappointing, it gave Blake something else to do, and it made me care about his character to the point that if you didn't root for him, you have no heart.

So even with his angry response (that I've heard about) and his not being willing to completely forgive Unique and his threatening to quit New Directions, he's still salvageable?

I wish they'd made Kitty the catfish. Unique was so obvious. Kitty would have shown a different side to her. And I do not trust Glee to handle a Rydique relationship well. They can't stop having Britt call Unique "Mercedes" for goodness sake!

The fact that they even went there pisses me off and not just because it was obvious, but because its painful having to watch Blake and Alex do scenes together. At least him and Becca were enjoyable because they can both act.

Was it painful because Blake so outclassed Alex that it hurt, or did working with Alex actually bring Blake down?

The first one? Both? Not sure. All I know is that the differences were glaringly obvious and Alex makes me cringe every time he comes on my screen. He makes Darren seem like a great actor.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/11/2013, 6:20 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

The first one? Both? Not sure. All I know is that the differences were glaringly obvious and Alex makes me cringe every time he comes on my screen. He makes Darren seem like a great actor.

Alex's poor acting skills were obvious all the way back on The Glee Project. How he got put in New Directions baffles me. Lindsay would have been better. Giving JOE HART more to do would be better. Or Sugar.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 5/11/2013, 6:26 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

Alex's poor acting skills were obvious all the way back on The Glee Project. How he got put in New Directions baffles me. Lindsay would have been better. Giving JOE HART more to do would be better. Or Sugar.

I wasn't really a big fan of Lindsay either. I love Vanessa Lengies though. I thought she was adorable and its a shame they didnt give her more to do. Samuel Larson wasn't a stellar actor either, but I like him more than Alex, and I think it's unfair that he doesn't have anything to do even though he's the one who actually won, along with Damian.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/11/2013, 6:29 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

I wasn't really a big fan of Lindsay either. I love Vanessa Lengies though. I thought she was adorable and its a shame they didnt give her more to do. Samuel Larson wasn't a stellar actor either, but I like him more than Alex, and I think it's unfair that he doesn't have anything to do even though he's the one who actually won, along with Damian.

Lindsay got the bitch-cut, but she was a good actress. She would have been a good addition to the choir room, but she might have outshone/equalled Lea, and I'll bet that's why she didn't win.

No, Sam's not a stellar actor, but he's got some really good reactions and one-liners. He should be allowed to sing a bit more (I don't think he sounds like all the other guys in ND right now), and have not-so-dumb-but-Brittney-esque quips from time to time. He hasn't been tied to anyone romantically aside from a crush on Quinn and Lauren asking him to dance at Sadie Hawkins.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 5/11/2013, 6:32 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

Lindsay got the bitch-cut, but she was a good actress. She would have been a good addition to the choir room, but she might have outshone/equalled Lea, and I'll bet that's why she didn't win.

No, Sam's not a stellar actor, but he's got some really good reactions and one-liners. He should be allowed to sing a bit more (I don't think he sounds like all the other guys in ND right now), and have not-so-dumb-but-Brittney-esque quips from time to time. He hasn't been tied to anyone romantically aside from a crush on Quinn and Lauren asking him to dance at Sadie Hawkins.

The fact that he hasn't been tied in a relationship, along with Sugar, is why I like him. Glee proved that it doesn't know how to write good, balanced relationships that aren't toxic.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/11/2013, 6:39 pm

ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

The fact that he hasn't been tied in a relationship, along with Sugar, is why I like him. Glee proved that it doesn't know how to write good, balanced relationships that aren't toxic.

True enough! He also hasn't really been given a "friend" in the show, though. Nor has Sugar, though she did have Rory and Artie fighting over her.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/11/2013, 7:01 pm

I didn't mind to see Sugar and Joe in the background, actually is better than seeing Alex trying to pull off a dramatic scene. So I don't know what's going on with Samuel, but I'm afraid Vanessa isn't coming back, because I'm unsure if she will be able to do both series and you know, is a pity she's leaving. At first I didn't like Sugar, but through the episodes I noticed she was a fresh addition to the show.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 5/11/2013, 10:18 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
ColdFlame96 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

I was really surprised that they put Alex on the show this year because people just haven't warmed up to him or the character. The whole reason he is still is in the cast is because Ryan was intrigued by the thought of having him as that character on the show. Unique could be a good character if she was portrayed by a decent actor, but Alex is not that actor. His line delivery is always the same, and he is the weakest actor on the show by far.

I was surprised they put him on the show so much just based on his diva behavior on the show. I saw him in his high school production of Chicago last year, and I can confirm that he is truly a diva (and two of my relatives can confirm that as well, as they were in productions with him all through high school, and he was always a diva--thinking he was the best thing in the cast). He likes to be the center of attention--his behavior outside of the show was truly divaish--loud, grand gestures, just doing whatever he could to attraction attention to himself.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/11/2013, 11:54 pm

I am only hoping they have Unique leave, because she can't stand Ryders anger, but they won't do that, because it would send a negative message. I always feared this story in Alex's hands, and I have been proven correct. This is an important story, but I want it to go away because I can't deal with the poor acting. I am surprised that I've read on other places that they actually think Ryder is leaving. He isn't leaving the show, just the Glee club, so they can spend the first couple of episodes next year winning him back. It is a story contrivance only. So he can Unique can have a meeting of the minds, and acknowledge that while she was wrong, somehow he will be wrong as well, and then they will have a duet of friendship. Can see it coming from months away.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/12/2013, 9:47 am

Ryder is most likely one of the many cliffhangers many don't really care about. Of course he'll be back. Does anyone really worry that Ryder will leave Glee club and never show up again? There are literally no intriguing cliffhangers for next season. Does Rachel get the part? She is a special snowflake, she'll get there eventually anyway. Will Blaine propose? Of course, the entire show exists for Blaines happiness. Kurt will eventually realize he is in denial. Will ND win Nationals? Really, who cares?! Especially when the majority of viewers agreed that the competition lead by Freida was much better and they didn't deserve to win. The writers will do what they want to do. Simple.

Unique is an amazing concept of character, but the actor is just so bad. I also don't get why from the wide variety of Glee Project contestants, they chose him?

Also another bark point. Does anyone get the feeling no new female characters get introduced who might threaten Rachel/Lea talent wise? Even the likes of Santana and Mercedes, who have a great voices, suddenly want to become dancer or get rejected by their record deal, because no one can succeed vocally before Rachel. The girls on Glee Projects provided some really great characters but they all got dismissed. Instead we got pretty, white boys. All characters introduced since S2 and heavily featured are male. Not one female character was introduced without having a significant storyline. They realize that it hurts Rachel even further because she constant need to applaud her talent wants me to scratch her eyes out (yeah... that might be a bit dramatic. You get my sentiments).
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 5/12/2013, 10:28 am

Lottie2303 wrote:Unique is an amazing concept of character, but the actor is just so bad. I also don't get why from the wide variety of Glee Project contestants, they chose him?

Because Ryan is unable to create anymore new characters, so he just writes the actors pretty close to what they are to keep things simple and easy.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/12/2013, 1:02 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:Ryder is most likely one of the many cliffhangers many don't really care about. Of course he'll be back. Does anyone really worry that Ryder will leave Glee club and never show up again? There are literally no intriguing cliffhangers for next season. Does Rachel get the part? She is a special snowflake, she'll get there eventually anyway. Will Blaine propose? Of course, the entire show exists for Blaines happiness. Kurt will eventually realize he is in denial. Will ND win Nationals? Really, who cares?! Especially when the majority of viewers agreed that the competition lead by Freida was much better and they didn't deserve to win. The writers will do what they want to do. Simple.

Yes, it's amazing how FEW cliffhangers (none) there were for that finale. Absolutely NONE. I think Eggshellsrs's version of the finale was better.

Lottie2303 wrote:Also another bark point. Does anyone get the feeling no new female characters get introduced who might threaten Rachel/Lea talent wise? Even the likes of Santana and Mercedes, who have a great voices, suddenly want to become dancer or get rejected by their record deal, because no one can succeed vocally before Rachel. The girls on Glee Projects provided some really great characters but they all got dismissed. Instead we got pretty, white boys. All characters introduced since S2 and heavily featured are male. Not one female character was introduced without having a significant storyline. They realize that it hurts Rachel even further because she constant need to applaud her talent wants me to scratch her eyes out (yeah... that might be a bit dramatic. You get my sentiments).

I'm convinced of it. I don't think Lea would like it if she actually had a rival on the show who could sing as well as she can. And her voice isn't sounding as good (to me) as it used to, so the bar is going lower all the time. Lindsay really could sing, so her character would have threatened Rachel's position as top diva in the choir. And we cant have that. That might be real drama.

Of course, male singers with unusual voices (other than Chris) aren't allowed on, either. Think of Max Adler. Any show choir with a bass would have a major advantage:

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/12/2013, 1:13 pm

Lindsay with no autotune:

Can't have that voice on GLEE!!

Melissa sings the same song (though, to give her credit, she's trying to act at the same time):

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/12/2013, 1:40 pm

Lindsay was an incredible wasted opportunity and it is so unfair that all the guys from GP1 got so heavily featured with mediocre voices and bad acting skills. It is just sad and makes me mad. That video is great! She would have been the perfect NYADA competition for Rachel and it would have given Rachel legit point to feel sympathy for her. By her being always the best, it only hurts the character. Why does no one on Glee realize that?

So only Rachel is allowed to be successful and talented? Way to screw over your female audience. Also I have a very negative opinion about Lea Michele, which may be very wrong, but I do see her as someone preventing any real competition to be introduced next to her in Glee. She needs to be the best female. I am sorry, but that is my impression of her. As I said, I may very likely be wrong.

It is sad that no new female characters got introduced who actually got to do something significant. As boys we got Damian, Samuel, Alex etc... really?! So many unnecessary characters who could leave the show today and within 2 days, no one would bother talking about the again. However, while not excessively, people still talk about Lindsay and the wasted opportunities.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/12/2013, 1:47 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:Lindsay was an incredible wasted opportunity and it is so unfair that all the guys from GP1 got so heavily featured with mediocre voices and bad acting skills. It is just sad and makes me mad. That video is great! She would have been the perfect NYADA competition for Rachel and it would have given Rachel legit point to feel sympathy for her. By her being always the best, it only hurts the character. Why does no one on Glee realize that?

So only Rachel is allowed to be successful and talented? Way to screw over your female audience. Also I have a very negative opinion about Lea Michele, which may be very wrong, but I do see her as someone preventing any real competition to be introduced next to her in Glee. She needs to be the best female. I am sorry, but that is my impression of her. As I said, I may very likely be wrong.

It is sad that no new female characters got introduced who actually got to do something significant. As boys we got Damian, Samuel, Alex etc... really?! So many unnecessary characters who could leave the show today and within 2 days, no one would bother talking about the again. However, while not excessively, people still talk about Lindsay and the wasted opportunities.

I don't know what is the actress protecting herself and what is (even more likely) the franchise protecting their "star" and central character from being overshadowed. That would be bad for the concept of the show!

However, I agree that it's a big problem. And it's been a problem with the introduction of new male singers, too. As much as Ryan on The Glee Project said he wanted a different sound, he keeps hiring people who don't overshadow Finn/Blaine. That's not a high bar. And thus, someone like Max gets wasted. Samuel, who is not a good actor, I suppose, could at least sing more. His Jolene (which came before Dot sang it) doesn't sound like any of the other guys on the show. He was able to give his voice a certain twang and individuality.

Really, the only strong male voice they've brought in has been Alex's, and Unique is shown as female and obviously and embarrassingly considered a replacement for Mercedes and Kurt.

ETA: Other Glee Project contestants were booted for being too unconventional (see: Charlie Lubeck, who actually took a lot of chances with his songs).

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/12/2013, 1:56 pm

All the guys sounds the same. There are no distinctive voices that I could separate any one them. Only Chris, Kevin and Darren (because he sings so much) I can separate from group numbers. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand of course two of the three are heavily underused. It is a shame.

However, it still cracks me up how RIB tried to force the audience to suspend disbelief that Cory is the best male singer of the club who needs to be center stage during S1. That was most certainly one of my personal WTF-storylines, I simply couldn't accept. Specifically because they actually had Artie and Kurt from the very beginning. They just didn't fit the conventional norm.

The only female character that got introduced was Sugar, who a) couldn't sing, and b) was placed always in the background. If a show is too afraid to add other female characters as it might threaten the lead, something is already wrong with the show anyway. Just as much as no legitimate interests are introduced for Kurt as it might steal Blaines limelight. In the long run, Blaine and Rachel will receive the hate of the audience.

Glee makes many, many mistakes that could be easily solved. However, they don't even bother to change it. I am very curious for the viewer numbers for S5. I wouldn't be surprised when the viewers dramatically decrease. I guess they really reached a point of the finale that even hard core fans couldn't deny the problems anymore.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/12/2013, 2:03 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:All the guys sounds the same. There are no distinctive voices that I could separate any one them. Only Chris, Kevin and Darren (because he sings so much) I can separate from group numbers. Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaand of course two of the three are heavily underused. It is a shame.

However, it still cracks me up how RIB tried to force the audience to suspend disbelief that Cory is the best male singer of the club who needs to be center stage during S1. That was most certainly one of my personal WTF-storylines, I simply couldn't accept. Specifically because they actually had Artie and Kurt from the very beginning. They just didn't fit the conventional norm.

The only female character that got introduced was Sugar, who a) couldn't sing, and b) was placed always in the background. If a show is too afraid to add other female characters as it might threaten the lead, something is already wrong with the show anyway. Just as much as no legitimate interests are introduced for Kurt as it might steal Blaines limelight. In the long run, Blaine and Rachel will receive the hate of the audience.

Glee makes many, many mistakes that could be easily solved. However, they don't even bother to change it. I am very curious for the viewer numbers for S5. I wouldn't be surprised when the viewers dramatically decrease. I guess they really reached a point of the finale that even hard core fans couldn't deny the problems anymore.

The biggest three mistakes, IMHO, were:

1. the 12 member rule (8 or 10 would have been more than enough--or, perhaps, 8-10 singers with as many back up dancers as they could borrow from "dance club" since "band" is already helping them out!).

2. Making all the originals sophomores. Some should have been freshmen, and some juniors or seniors. That way they could have introduced new characters slowly.

3. Establishing characters as Glee club members then chucking them (Lauren, Sam--who magically came back!, Rory, and now, most likely, Sugar). Sure, Lauren couldn't sing, but she brought something to the club. Rory shouldn't have been cast at all because, despite his nice voice, he couldn't act. Sam vanished then came back, and then got a personality transplant. And Sugar seemed awesome--from what little we ever saw of her.

How are we supposed to care when all the established characters graduate at once, and the "replacements" get rotated in and out at lightning speed?

I'm going to have to check out how fame dealt with this.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 5/12/2013, 2:05 pm

Chord *can* do a country sound, can't he? They just don't let him, right?

I still don't understand why they don't bring in some solid baritones (though Artie is a baritone, right?) and at least one bass.

My lack of musical training is now embarrassing me. But I feel sure they could have done better.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 5/12/2013, 2:19 pm

The main problem is that RIB have the attitude of 'new shiny toy of the month'. They cannot be persistent, they cannot separate personal life with professional life and they are too focused to create new characters then focus on the old ones.

It cannot be that in a professional television show, the writers can take anger about personal issues out on the characters. It cannot be that Jane Lynch openly admits that while reading the script you know who the writers are mad at. It cannot be that personal preferences leads to some characters getting their assess kissed. It is unprofessional, ignorant, unfair towards the fans and actors and it already ruined and will continue to ruin the show.

Also the arrogance to extend the school year even though the majority of GA simply doesn't care about the new cast. That they are so desperate to stroke their egos instead of being worried about the success of the show and the reputation of the old cast. It is the behavior of kindergarten children and not grown man.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/12/2013, 4:11 pm

^THIS.

AnneNeville wrote:I still don't understand why they don't bring in some solid baritones (though Artie is a baritone, right?) and at least one bass.

My lack of musical training is now embarrassing me. But I feel sure they could have done better.
It's the other way around: all the guys are baritones, except Artie, Kurt and Will (don't know about the new guys because I haven't bothered to check their vocal range).
The problem is that RIB let them all sing too damn high to be comfortable in their ranges. Mark (Puck) has quite a low baritone, and I think so has Cory. But they just never used that lower range of them.

In fact, what ND/the show needs is 1 or 2 good tenors who can sing those high pop songs they are so fond of, instead of letting some of the guys *cough*Darren and Chord*cough* painfully reach for those high notes. They stupidly shut up the 2 real tenors, Matt and Chris, and they now hardly ever use Kevin anymore either in the new ND: they only 'wheel him out' when noone else can do the job (like in the chorus of 'Hall of Fame').
Kevin has an incredible large vocal range, only slightly less than Chris, who as a countertenor naturally has an extended range.

I agree they should have a real bass, if ND was an actual real choir (like it used to be in season 1, when the cast themselves sang most of the background parts as well). Damian (Rory) could have been kept just for being a bass.
Now it's so obvious they use studio singers. There were some low notes in 'Hall of Fame' and 'For The Longest Time' that were sung by a real bass, and noone on the new ND can hit those notes. (maybe Samuel could, but we hardly ever hear his voice, so I can't tell)

At least the girls' voices are more versatile, with Lea, Amber, Dianna, Naya and Jenna, and even Becca, although Melissa sounds absolutely bland and Alex turned out to be a one-trick pony.
Oh, and I kept Heather out of that list on purpose, that should say enough. fanny2
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 5/12/2013, 5:08 pm

i am sure they have a full range of voices (both male and female) in their backup group. the thing is these people only sell their voices and never their faces on this show, while the real faces never sing in the backup recordings. so having a real bass is irrelevant as far as the show is concerned. if the show is trying to portray real show choirs, most guys there would probably be gays, and you probably won't find a jock or two in it. oh, and most members will be female. and also, you will have a hard time find 12 members every year, especially in a very small town high school. so, let's forget about reality. let's see who/what can make the teen girls glue to the TV for as long as possible.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/12/2013, 9:17 pm

@Marie, last time I checked your reviews about the cast singing skills, if I recall Kevin was a baritone and Darren a low tenor. Something have changed?

And I don't think Glee cares so much to sound like a reacl choir, they only want to put in front those characters who're more important to them, not mattering how good at singing they are or not. For instance, this season Heather sang a lot and she's not the most stronger/skilled singer.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 5/13/2013, 5:57 am

brisallie wrote:@Marie, last time I checked your reviews about the cast singing skills, if I recall Kevin was a baritone and Darren a low tenor. Something have changed?
Yes, Kevin is a baritone and Darren is a low tenor. I put up Kevin with Matt and Chris because Kevin has an amazing vocal range and can sing tenor suitable songs as well.
I didn't put Darren with the 'real' tenors because he has a very limited vocal range and can't reach the high tenor notes (nor the low baritone notes).
BTW: there is an interview in which Darren talks about the flaws in his voice having a medical cause. If I have time later today I will post about it.

And I don't think Glee cares so much to sound like a reacl choir, they only want to put in front those characters who're more important to them, not mattering how good at singing they are or not. For instance, this season Heather sang a lot and she's not the most stronger/skilled singer.
Truth.
One of the main reasons why Glee pisses me off so much these days. It already happened in the first seasons (esp. the 3rd) but at least they still had a big variety of singers back then and everyone got their moment to shine as long as Rachel Berry got her solo and Finchel duet every episode (but she was the legit lead in those days).
And although I know that Cory got a lot of flack for his voice I think he was decent enough for the role he was supposed to play: the diamond in the rough singing jock. It's not his fault that he was paired with a seasoned Broadway singer he could never equal, nor that secundary characters Kurt and Artie were played by 2 actors with incredible singing voices. Cory did fine, and I'd even say that the roughness of his voice complemented Lea's smooth voice in a very surprising and fresh way, which made their duets so enjoyable. I still think that bar Chris Cory is Lea's best duet partner.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 5/13/2013, 8:05 am

Glorfindel wrote:
brisallie wrote:@Marie, last time I checked your reviews about the cast singing skills, if I recall Kevin was a baritone and Darren a low tenor. Something have changed?
Yes, Kevin is a baritone and Darren is a low tenor. I put up Kevin with Matt and Chris because Kevin has an amazing vocal range and can sing tenor suitable songs as well.
I didn't put Darren with the 'real' tenors because he has a very limited vocal range and can't reach the high tenor notes (nor the low baritone notes).
BTW: there is an interview in which Darren talks about the flaws in his voice having a medical cause. If I have time later today I will post about it.

Truth.
One of the main reasons why Glee pisses me off so much these days. It already happened in the first seasons (esp. the 3rd) but at least they still had a big variety of singers back then and everyone got their moment to shine as long as Rachel Berry got her solo and Finchel duet every episode (but she was the legit lead in those days).
And although I know that Cory got a lot of flack for his voice I think he was decent enough for the role he was supposed to play: the diamond in the rough singing jock. It's not his fault that he was paired with a seasoned Broadway singer he could never equal, nor that secundary characters Kurt and Artie were played by 2 actors with incredible singing voices. Cory did fine, and I'd even say that the roughness of his voice complemented Lea's smooth voice in a very surprising and fresh way, which made their duets so enjoyable. I still think that bar Chris Cory is Lea's best duet partner.

I agree completely. I think Lea and Cory sound really good together. I've always liked Cory's voice, and appreciated the gritty rock quality to it. I'd say that he the most under appreciated voice by the fans but he is really underestimated in terms of harmonizing, also. A lot of Blarren stans thought that Darren and Lea were the best duet partners, and I had to refrain from laughing in their faces. Darren has the same problem with Lea that he does Chris; he has no vibrato and his vocal range is limited. Not to mention, I didn't really like the few duets they had together because there was an spark. I always ended up getting bored halfway through.
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 20 of 40 Previous  1 ... 11 ... 19, 20, 21 ... 30 ... 40  Next