Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

American Horror Story and Chris's second movie to take place in mental asylum-- Coincidence?

+15
tophercolfer
sahhar
Delight
red texta
M&M
ColferInspired
CCfan93
brisallie
Struck by Lightning
E-ko
Glorfindel
Emile
paulopf
fantastica
tanita_mors
19 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

American Horror Story and Chris's second movie to take place in mental asylum-- Coincidence? Empty Re: American Horror Story and Chris's second movie to take place in mental asylum-- Coincidence?

Post  tanita_mors 4/19/2012, 4:11 pm

I don't know if any of you fallow news about American Horror Story, but the premise of the second season sounds suspiciously similar to Chris's second feature. It will be a period piece set in an asylum for criminally insane. Now, the type of the show will surly be different : a paranormal horror compered to a psychological thriller/drama, but the fact that it's so similar just rubs me the wrong way because I know the first time Chris mentioned this idea was when they asked him about his fear of typecasting and Ryan Murphy isn't known as someone who plans ahead a lot.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

American Horror Story and Chris's second movie to take place in mental asylum-- Coincidence? Empty Re: American Horror Story and Chris's second movie to take place in mental asylum-- Coincidence?

Post  fantastica 4/19/2012, 4:18 pm

chris wrote the script for his second feature back in last summer during the tour, didn't he say that? I am so not happy about this AHS. the thing about tv show is that they can write the script today and the episode be shown a month later. w/ movies you will write a script today and then it won't be in theaters 1 or 2 yrs later. it doenst matter if he has a totally original idea. whichever gets shown first has the advantage, and since he works for RM, he has bascially NO advantage whatsoever. yes I am very pisssed. RM is known to steal even their own old plots.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/19/2012, 4:20 pm

tanita_mors wrote:I don't know if any of you fallow news about American Horror Story, but the premise of the second season sounds suspiciously similar to Chris's second feature. It will be a period piece set in an asylum for criminally insane. Now, the type of the show will surly be different : a paranormal horror compered to a psychological thriller/drama, but the fact that it's so similar just rubs me the wrong way because I know the first time Chris mentioned this idea was when they asked him about his fear of typecasting and Ryan Murphy isn't known as someone who plans ahead a lot.

Argh! And then why I hate Ryan Murphy so much!
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/19/2012, 4:24 pm

tanita_mors wrote:I don't know if any of you fallow news about American Horror Story, but the premise of the second season sounds suspiciously similar to Chris's second feature. It will be a period piece set in an asylum for criminally insane. Now, the type of the show will surly be different : a paranormal horror compered to a psychological thriller/drama, but the fact that it's so similar just rubs me the wrong way because I know the first time Chris mentioned this idea was when they asked him about his fear of typecasting and Ryan Murphy isn't known as someone who plans ahead a lot.
^^
Umpf, I don't like this at all. mince

If it is also setting in 1930s...
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/19/2012, 4:36 pm

It sure is suspicious.
I find it very irritating that RM depends so much on getting ideas and 'inspiration' from his actors. The way he 'used' the TGP winners: stealing from their own persons traits.
And constantly lurking around the Glee cast trying to pick up songs and stories.
Also: when Chris said that RM asked him/them who he should hire as swimmcoach. It's all nice that this way at least Chris has more say in his character and such, but this is not how it's supposed to be.
In Glee there are many scenes that are copies from movies. RM doesn't even try to hide that he recreates music videos in the exact way as the originals.

And now this asylum idea: coincidence?
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/19/2012, 4:47 pm

Glorfindel wrote:
I find it very irritating that RM depends so much on getting ideas and 'inspiration' from his actors. The way he 'used' the TGP winners: stealing from their own persons traits.
And constantly lurking around the Glee cast trying to pick up songs and stories.
Also: when Chris said that RM asked him/them who he should hire as swimmcoach. It's all nice that this way at least Chris has more say in his character and such, but this is not how it's supposed to be.
In Glee there are many scenes that are copies from movies. RM doesn't even try to hide that he recreates music videos in the exact way as the originals.

And now this asylum idea: coincidence?
Actually, the point of The Glee Project was finding ready-made characters. He even said of them that he liked them much better than his original cast because he had a sense of who they were, it was ridiculous, lol. Also, I like that RIB then proceeded into conflating these people into easy 'stereotypes' (such as Alex being made transgendered, because having a character just being into drag is too hard to explain on a show such as Glee and Samuel basically being a Teen Jesus and Damian being That Irish/Foreigner Fellow).

I don't know about the asylum-thing, tho. It is suspect, but then I didn't think the idea was brand-new to begin with? Also, as much as it kind of pains me, Chris and Murphy do talk and seem to have an OK-to-very-good relationship (Ryan Murphy Jr., anyone?), so perhaps there was just some natural give-and-take, "oh, that sounds like a good idea" going on.

Or I could be seriously over-estimating Murphy's scruples, orz.

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Struck by Lightning 4/19/2012, 5:14 pm

I don't know if any of you fallow news about American Horror Story, but the premise of the second season sounds suspiciously similar to Chris's second feature. It will be a period piece set in an asylum for criminally insane. Now, the type of the show will surly be different : a paranormal horror compered to a psychological thriller/drama, but the fact that it's so similar just rubs me the wrong way because I know the first time Chris mentioned this idea was when they asked him about his fear of typecasting and Ryan Murphy isn't known as someone who plans ahead a lot.
After hearing AHS will be submitted as a miniseries at the Emmys this year, almost definitely to give the series some chance at winning and/or make Jessica Lange’s win even more secure, but ultimately all to feed RM’s own ego, I’ll believe pretty much anything. And he loves stealing/reusing ideas. dryy At least he’ll probably execute it poorly enough that he won’t get much critical attention from it, he does drive series into the ground quickly after all, but still.
Struck by Lightning
Struck by Lightning
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/19/2012, 5:18 pm

WHAT? ohmy No! Are you freaking kidding me that Ryan is "taking" ideas from Chris's script or in other words he's stealing? I thought each season was going to be settle in a new house, not sure if with the same cast again but at least Jessica Lange is coming back in her role.

PS: I just read on internet that Jessica won't reprise her role instead she gonna be the director of the asylum dryy

Source:http://www.europapress.es/tv/noticia-jessica-lange-dirigira-psiquiatrico-segunda-temporada-american-horror-story-20120419174350.html Sorry is in spanish.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  CCfan93 4/19/2012, 5:24 pm

This makes me really happy i didnt stick with american horror story especially if ryan murphy is now stealing ideas. does he not have any new ideas now?
CCfan93
CCfan93
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 4/19/2012, 10:13 pm

If it's set in the 1930's, then yes, Ryan has stolen his idea.

I hope he hasn't read any of Chris's script. I wouldn't put it past him to try to steal from it, if he has stolen Chris's idea for his new movie. American Horror Story and Chris's second movie to take place in mental asylum-- Coincidence? 357632081
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  M&M 4/19/2012, 10:47 pm

I'm hoping its a coincidence. It is strange though, and we know he clearly uses Chris's ideas, but I agree that it isn't new (Gothika, etc), but really weird timing.
M&M
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  red texta 4/19/2012, 11:15 pm

Aha, you're discussing it here, because I posted about this in the Snark and Bark thread (figuring it would get some angry responses) but then no one replied, unsure Hopefully it's just a surface similarity and American Horror Story will be set in the 1950s or 1960s because they had some really interesting ideas about psychiatry back then and some really interesting ways of treating illness (I'm thinking psychotropic drugs which will really fit in with AHS's cracky atmosphere). Then next season they can go back another generation and do a 1930s apartment building in the Depression or a haunted southern church.

But back to Chris; he said he wrote his screenplay before Christmas and he's been doing research for it probably even before then. He joked about the Glee crew wondering if there was something he was hiding fanny2 when he was carrying psychiatry manuals around. They had to have known about what he was writing. Specifically, Ryan Murphy and Brad had to have known, while they were still working on Season 1 of AHS and before they even started planning Season 2. There's no way they had the idea first, just because they never plan that far in advance and Chris has obviously been working on this since at least last fall (and probably planning it before that). Now, there's no reason to suppose Ryan and Brad haven't gone to Chris and said, hey this idea sounds a bit like yours... you don't mind do you? And Chris might be okay with that because he knows it's not the same, or because he feels the different genres will mean they end up with very different products. It's just... I am irrationally irritated and grudgey about this. I don't want people to say Chris is the one copying Murphy, or that he's obviously very like Murphy if he comes up with similar ideas. I know Chris does admire Ryan and might want to emulate him on some things but I don't think he wants to be Ryan Murphy II.
red texta
red texta
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/19/2012, 11:22 pm

^I think people will talk shit anyway about Chris cause of the coincidence, but honestly, stan feelings aside, I really don't think Ryan Murphy would have allowed Chris to go ahead with this new movie if he felt he was being plagiarized, so it's just a weird coincidence, or Murphy saw Chris carrying his books and conceived a similar idea. Anyway, I'm furious at Ryan Murphy.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  M&M 4/19/2012, 11:36 pm

paulopf wrote:^I think people will talk shit anyway about Chris cause of the coincidence, but honestly, stan feelings aside, I really don't think Ryan Murphy would have allowed Chris to go ahead with this new movie if he felt he was being plagiarized, so it's just a weird coincidence, or Murphy saw Chris carrying his books and conceived a similar idea. Anyway, I'm furious at Ryan Murphy.

This. Someone said the other day that they thought that perhaps Chris has not got much to do this year because Ryan was mad that in a way, CC got bigger than the show and was no longer under RM's thumb. If there is any truth to this, I can sadly see it being possible that subconciously (or consiously) RM took the idea. :angry:
M&M
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/19/2012, 11:45 pm

M&M wrote:[

This. Someone said the other day that they thought that perhaps Chris has not got much to do this year because Ryan was mad that in a way, CC got bigger than the show and was no longer under RM's thumb. If there is any truth to this, I can sadly see it being possible that subconciously (or consiously) RM took the idea. :angry:

As a "revenge" because Chris is having more succeed beyond Glee? Something similar when he punished Chris firing Ashley from the series? Though I know that last thing was a rumor by the media but deeply I see Ryan as someone who could do that phr34r unconsciously.

Possibly we're speculating too much because as someone said stories about asylums and psychiatrics have been written before. However there're coincidences like last year Chris was starting to write his new script and a year later Ryan announces the new plot of AHS which is similar to what Chris told is gonna be his new movie.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/19/2012, 11:48 pm

M&M wrote:
paulopf wrote:^I think people will talk shit anyway about Chris cause of the coincidence, but honestly, stan feelings aside, I really don't think Ryan Murphy would have allowed Chris to go ahead with this new movie if he felt he was being plagiarized, so it's just a weird coincidence, or Murphy saw Chris carrying his books and conceived a similar idea. Anyway, I'm furious at Ryan Murphy.

I don't know. I don't really like to be paranoid, but I honestly don't trust Ryan Murphy. After the graduation gate I do think he must have warned Chris somehow, and I don't think it's too crazy to think that he might have tried to make him less relevant, since in his eyes, probably he couldn't trust Chris. I don't think he would actively try to destroy his career, though, but I could see him trying to remind him that he "owes" him (which i would disagree with anyway), and that Murphy is by far the more powerful one. Is it completely confirmed that Ryan Murphy's show will go into that direction or is this just a rumor?
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 4/19/2012, 11:50 pm

brisallie wrote:
M&M wrote:[

As a "revenge" because Chris is having more succeed beyond Glee? Something similar when he punished Chris firing Ashley from the series? Though I know that last thing was a rumor by the media but deeply I see Ryan as someone who could do that phr34r unconsciously.

Possibly we're speculating too much because as someone said stories about asylums and psychiatrics have been written before. However there're coincidences like last year Chris was starting to write his new script and a year later Ryan announces the new plot of AHS which is similar to what Chris told is gonna be his new movie.

You're right. Possibly this is merely wild speculation, but judging from how Kurt's screen time has diminished this season, I would suspect though, not revenge, this is Murphy's warning or reminder to Chris about who still has more power.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  M&M 4/19/2012, 11:56 pm

paulopf wrote:
M&M wrote:

I don't know. I don't really like to be paranoid, but I honestly don't trust Ryan Murphy. After the graduation gate I do think he must have warned Chris somehow, and I don't think it's too crazy to think that he might have tried to make him less relevant, since in his eyes, probably he couldn't trust Chris. I don't think he would actively try to destroy his career, though, but I could see him trying to remind him that he "owes" him (which i would disagree with anyway), and that Murphy is by far the more powerful one. Is it completely confirmed that Ryan Murphy's show will go into that direction or is this just a rumor?

Here's the confirmation:

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/04/19/american-horror-story-season-2/

It could be different enough, but I agree. After Blaine was introduced, I was sure Kurt would be marginalized, and he kind of was. Then Murphy tried to throw Chris under the bus this summer and I was sure he would be backgrounded. The first 2 eps were so promising and since then, he keeps getting short shrifted in his stories. I know he gets stuff, but it is always just a few minutes of screen time. He had 20 minutes in IAU and then 6 to 10 minutes in pretty much every other episode. There is even one where he had 2 minutes. If RM is mad at him and that is why he is being held back, its only hurting Glee. There is no heart in the stories anymore.
M&M
M&M
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 4/20/2012, 12:27 am

I read the article from EW and its said that the plot of second season is related to episode "Birth" from S1 but If my memory is working well Chris had already written or at least he had conceived the idea of his next movie in a draft whilst Ryan was starting to write AHS, right?

Next point, for me if we have to say someone is the "owner" of Chris it might be Robert because he was the responsible of chosing the right cast, actually he wasn't the one who suggest that Chris has to be in the cast though he doesn't fits to the profile of Artie (or Rajish lol)? I know Chris said in the GG that Ryan is his godfather but that is doesn't mean he has power over him, he's not a slave, is only a boy who has a contract with Fox or is there any code we doesn't know?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/20/2012, 5:37 am

For all his misgivings, I think Ryan Murphy still has a huge soft spot for both Kurt and Chris. Most of his written episode feature Kurt and by extension Klaine extensively. He is most connected to Kurt and writes most naturally for him.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/20/2012, 8:13 am

I really don't like this :( . I think there are too many similarities between the two to be mere coincidence. Asylum. Set in a completely different time period.

Problem is, it's almost inevitable that comparisons between the two will be made by the audience and maybe even the media. It makes me think about the British TV series 'Sherlock', kicking the ass of the Robert Downey Jr 'Sherlock Holmes' movies (both of which came out at roughly the same time). The writing and even the time period of those two shows are completely different, but as someone who had seen both, I can't help comparing the two.

The idea of Chris's second movie may be considered unusual and fresh now; but if AHS came out first (and it will, because a movie takes that much longer to go from filming to release) and exploited the idea to death, it would affect how well Chris's movie would be received. I just hope that the two shows are different enough that the public won't link them together. I'm holding on to the hope that Chris's movie would outshine Ryan Murphy's AHS so much that people would never even consider the possibility that he had taken any ideas from Ryan Murphy.

I'm currently giving Ryan Murphy the benefit of the doubt, and that this wasn't done deliberately to jeopardize Chris's career unsure
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  red texta 4/20/2012, 8:53 am

Delight wrote:The idea of Chris's second movie may be considered unusual and fresh now; but if AHS came out first and exploited the idea to death, it would affect how well Chris's movie would be received.

I'm currently giving Ryan Murphy the benefit of the doubt, and that this wasn't done deliberately to jeopardize Chris's career unsure

I don't think Ryan Murphy would maliciously try to undermine Chris. They do seem to get on well still (and like I said earlier maybe Chris is okay with the similarities because he knows it's just a superficial similarity). It's just... yeah, he's not above borrowing incidents from the actors lives for Glee so why think he's above borrowing an idea or two? And it would definitely undercut Chris's movie if the two were to be compared. I like both Sherlocks but the TV series has more screentime to get invested in the characters and plot while the film is just a couple of hours of fairly smart action entertainment.

I'm voicing my suspicions even though I can't quite believe Ryan would be so unprincipled and want to give him the benefit of the doubt too. We shall see.
red texta
red texta
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/20/2012, 9:26 am

Delight wrote:

I really don't like this :( . I think there are too many similarities between the two to be mere coincidence. Asylum. Set in a completely different time period.

Problem is, it's almost inevitable that comparisons between the two will be made by the audience and maybe even the media. It makes me think about the British TV series 'Sherlock', kicking the ass of the Robert Downey Jr 'Sherlock Holmes' movies (both of which came out at roughly the same time). The writing and even the time period of those two shows are completely different, but as someone who had seen both, I can't help comparing the two.

The idea of Chris's second movie may be considered unusual and fresh now; but if AHS came out first (and it will, because a movie takes that much longer to go from filming to release) and exploited the idea to death, it would affect how well Chris's movie would be received. I just hope that the two shows are different enough that the public won't link them together. I'm holding on to the hope that Chris's movie would outshine Ryan Murphy's AHS so much that people would never even consider the possibility that he had taken any ideas from Ryan Murphy.

Yep, unfortunately the situation isn't the ideal to remove the Ryan Murphy/Glee label on Chris.

I mean, thinking of it, it's prefectly possible that Ryan Murphy knew what Chris's next project was, since he would have been working on that for quite some time (he even said somewhere that he carried the books where he got informations for the movie everywhere), even on the set of Glee.
So it's suspect, but maybe it's all a big concidence.

Anyway I hope that, even if the idea at the base is the same for both projects, the development is completely different and Chris's film is better.

Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/20/2012, 9:40 am

Emile wrote:
Anyway I hope that, even if the idea at the base is the same for both projects, the development is completely different and Chris's film is better.

You don't have to strike the phrase at the end of that sentence. We're allowed to be obnoxiously supportive of Chris on this forum fanny2
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/20/2012, 9:57 am

Emile wrote:Yep, unfortunately the situation isn't the ideal to remove the Ryan Murphy/Glee label on Chris.

I mean, thinking of it, it's prefectly possible that Ryan Murphy knew what Chris's next project was, since he would have been working on that for quite some time (he even said somewhere that he carried the books where he got informations for the movie everywhere), even on the set of Glee.
So it's suspect, but maybe it's all a big concidence.

Tbh, I don't think Chris is going to shed that label anytime soon no matter how far removed the subject matter would be from Glee or Murphy. He's going to need to get off the show and disappear for a while, and then it's still a matter of the GA/Hollywood's views on Glee if he will be constantly associated with his break-out role or not-- and even whether they consider it a positive or a negative thing. That's fame for you.

It's unfortunate, but Chris has been so good at networking and making a name for himself BTS-- and at his 19-21 age!-- that I can't say I'm worried much. (Yet, lol.)

And obv Chris' movie's going to be over ninethousand!!! times better, trufax. Smile

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next