Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

CC360, Live Chat - 2013/08/11

+10
coxfire
sheny
arina
brisallie
ladydianab
AnneNeville
fantastica
Lottie2303
MoviesAreLife
Glorfindel
14 posters

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Go down

CC360, Live Chat - 2013/08/11 - Page 4 Empty Re: CC360, Live Chat - 2013/08/11

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 1:36 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:I think he could be a mixture of both. There is a performance switch that he uses for work and promotional events, as well as for certain public activities. But when that switch is turned off...he's more reserved?
It's really minutae, but in such a case a person is an introvert who is good at performing. ;-) Or, an extrovert who has chosen for personal reasons to put up strong boundaries. But I don't think you are both at once. Introvert/Extrovert is a continuum, I suppose . . . you can be more or less extreme . . .

Anyway, unless someone is going to pop up here and confess to knowing Chris personally, or being Chris himself, and shares with us which he explicitly considers himself to be, we will never know. ;-)
Maybe he has a split personality? Wink
LOL.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 1:57 pm

^ Hey, he's a Gemini! Wink

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ChrisColferFan1 8/12/2013, 2:11 pm

I did not watch all of the chat ,but did for part of it. Enjoyed what I did watch though.
ChrisColferFan1
ChrisColferFan1
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 3:25 pm

FanofChrisC&MaxA1 wrote:I did not watch all of the chat ,but did for part of it. Enjoyed  what I did watch though.
Why not?! It was fun! Smile 

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 3:29 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
FanofChrisC&MaxA1 wrote:I did not watch all of the chat ,but did for part of it. Enjoyed  what I did watch though.
I watched the whole thing, with the volume low. I get some second-hand embarrassment from the squealing! Plus, the mic feedback can be "ugh." However, a few of the things Chris said were really great.

I considered turning it off several times, because I was hoping they'd put through some questions that were NOT so focused on the book/so similar to what I heard in the other chats. I'm not likely to read TLOS2, though I may skim the first chapters online.

I love Chris, but I (personally) don't think he's a very good writer yet, and I kind of cringed when he said he wrote the first book in six months and this one in four, despite the busy schedule. I have friends who have been writing and editing their novels for a year or more (just read the book of a friend, and he's on draft eight and still looking for a publisher).

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/12/2013, 3:30 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:^ Hey, he's a Gemini! Wink
Razz Good answer. And even though I stop being obsessive with astrology years ago, still I think is kinda useful to know how a celeb could be.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 3:31 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
I watched the whole thing, with the volume low. I get some second-hand embarrassment from the squealing! Plus, the mic feedback can be "ugh." However, a few of the things Chris said were really great.

I considered turning it off several times, because I was hoping they'd put through some questions that were NOT so focused on the book/so similar to what I heard in the other chats. I'm not likely to read TLOS2, though I may skim the first chapters online.

I love Chris, but I (personally) don't think he's a very good writer yet, and I kind of cringed when he said he wrote the first book in six months and this one in four, despite the busy schedule. I have friends who have been writing and editing their novels for a year or more (just read the book of a friend, and he's on draft eight and still looking for a publisher).
This book is far better than the first one and you can see his improvement as a writer. Smile 

But I still think he's a better screenwriter than a novelist, but he's getting there. So proud of him.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 3:31 pm

brisallie wrote:
Razz Good answer. And even though I stop being obsessive with astrology years ago, still I think is kinda useful to know how a celeb could be.
It's very interesting!

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 3:38 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:

This book is far better than the first one and you can see his improvement as a writer. Smile 

But I still think he's a better screenwriter than a novelist, but he's getting there. So proud of him.
I'm glad to hear that! Perhaps I'll look at the preview chapters.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/12/2013, 3:52 pm

AnneNeville wrote:But I still think he's a better screenwriter than a novelist, but he's getting there. So proud of him.
I'm glad to hear that! Perhaps I'll look at the preview chapters.[/quote]
I get from where you are coming from. I still believe Chris has a long way to go to perfect his writing, tends to "tell" instead to "show" and sometimes jumps too much from scene to scene. But I also believe he improved a lot, and I will and cannot deny he has a tremendous amount of creativity. The latter part cannot be learnt, while writing skills can be improved. Considering he is writing children novels, I thinks he it suits him very well and he can only improve.

Naturally Chris got the writing contract because of his celebrity status. But I really cannot default him. I'd totally do the same in his position. Anyone would tonguue .
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 3:59 pm

Yes. It is sad for me, though, to see anyone famous (this includes Jenna and Lea) be able to write a book in a matter of months and sell it. I understand, but book-writing (all writing) is an art, too, and real improvement comes from reflecting on and reworking your words in subsequent drafts.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/12/2013, 4:04 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
Yes. It is sad for me, though, to see anyone famous (this includes Jenna and Lea) be able to write a book in a matter of months and sell it. I understand, but book-writing (all writing) is an art, too, and real improvement comes from reflecting on and reworking your words in subsequent drafts.
Please, Jenna totally and most likely Lea used/will use a ghostwriter. At least Chris wrote his own book without outside help. Nonetheless, he would benefit from a strict but fair editor. I get the impression once an author has a certain fambase, they are allowed to write whatever pleases them. But even the best authors sometimes need a critical extra-set of eyes.

However, compared to other celebrities and "their" books, I still think Chris wrote one of the superior ones with staying power.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 4:04 pm

AnneNeville wrote:
A lot of these "cross-over artists" are frustrating, yes. But if I was in his position, I'd do anything to make all of my dreams come true.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 4:05 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:
Please, Jenna totally and most likely Lea used/will use a ghostwriter. At least Chris wrote his own book without outside help. Nonetheless, he would benefit from a strict but fair editor. I get the impression once an author has a certain fambase, they are allowed to write whatever pleases them. But even the best authors sometimes need a critical extra-set of eyes.

However, compared to other celebrities and "their" books, I still think Chris wrote one of the superior ones with staying power.
Yes, I admire that he didn't use a ghostwriter! And I think he has talent as a writer, too.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 4:06 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

Because Chris actually has a passion for writing as has since he was a little kid. His books are works of passion, not tools to get his name out there.

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 4:08 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:But I still think he's a better screenwriter than a novelist, but he's getting there. So proud of him.
I'm glad to hear that! Perhaps I'll look at the preview chapters.
I get from where you are coming from. I still believe Chris has a long way to go to perfect his writing, tends to "tell" instead to "show" and sometimes jumps too much from scene to scene. But I also believe he improved a lot, and I will and cannot deny he has a tremendous amount of creativity. The latter part cannot be learnt, while writing skills can be improved. Considering he is writing children novels, I thinks he it suits him very well and he can only improve.

Naturally Chris got the writing contract because of his celebrity status. But I really cannot default him. I'd totally do the same in his position. Anyone would tonguue .[/quote]Yes to all of this. He has natural, raw talent and a passion for it. He has stories to tell and a passion/raw talent to tell them with. Like Conner. Wink

Good Lord, what is up with the quoting system today??

Last edited by MoviesAreLife on 8/12/2013, 4:10 pm; edited 1 time in total

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 4:09 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
Lottie2303 wrote:
AnneNeville wrote:

Because Chris actually has a passion for writing as has since he was a little kid. His books are works of passion, not tools to get his name out there.
I agree.

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/12/2013, 4:21 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:
brisallie wrote:
It's very interesting!
It is. Although sometimes isn't totally accurate.

As regards Chris writing skills, I'm agree that he still need to improve. But, as someone else pointed out, unlike Jenna and Lea, unless he's the one who write his books and that's something I appreciate :)Because when you read his books, you know is something that come from the bottom of his heart.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 4:29 pm

brisallie wrote:
MoviesAreLife wrote:
brisallie wrote:
It's very interesting!
It is. Although sometimes isn't totally accurate.

As regards Chris writing skills, I'm agree that he still need to improve. But, as someone else pointed out, unlike Jenna and Lea, unless he's the one who write his books and that's something I appreciate :)Because when you read his books, you know is something that come from the bottom of his heart.
That is true, too. And I hope that Mrs. Parker teaches some fans a lesson!

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/12/2013, 4:33 pm

I love Mrs Peter is Chris tool to rant. Bless him, he needs an outlet. I'd be HWs worst nightmare because I could never remain calm and nice. I'd jump people throat after a while, especially if they'd treat me unfairly. Razz 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 4:34 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:I love Mrs Peter is Chris tool to rant. Bless him, he needs an outlet. I'd be HWs worst nightmare because I could never remain calm and nice. I'd jump people throat after a while, especially if they'd treat me unfairly. Razz 
Haha! Good! Someone has to!

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 8/12/2013, 4:44 pm

Who are Mrs Parker and Mrs Peter?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 8/12/2013, 4:53 pm

brisallie wrote:Who are Mrs Parker and Mrs Peter?
Mrs. Peters is a teacher from TLOS. In the first book, she dislikes Conner for always sleeping in her class. In the second book, she was promoted to Principal and encouraged Conner to be a writer.

Who is Mrs. Parker?

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  AnneNeville 8/12/2013, 4:59 pm

brisallie wrote:Who are Mrs Parker and Mrs Peter?
Is it Mrs. Parker and not Mrs. Peters? I'm not sure. I haven't read the book, and I'm basing my comment on my bad memory of last night's chat. phr34r 

AnneNeville
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/12/2013, 5:00 pm

MoviesAreLife wrote:Yes to all of this. He has natural, raw talent and a passion for it. He has stories to tell and a passion/raw talent to tell them with. Like Conner. Wink
And that's exactly why I love his first books so much. The same as with his first songs on Glee, his first attempts at writing are raw but heartfelt, talented but not yet trained to perfection. There is a fresh honesty in these early works (books and songs), as he can't hide yet behind fancy words, a completely controlled voice and/or perfected skills yet.

It's the raw talent and the passion that have all the focus, with all the flaws that go with them still being untamed. I love that because it only remains/excists in a very small timeframe, as he improves with every new project.

To compare it with his songs: I absolutely love the perfection and control of his singing in 'Being Alive', while his talent and passion still shine through and lift the song up from a showcase of craftmanship to a work of art.
But 'Defying Gravity' and especially 'Rose's Turn' will always have a very special place in my heart: both songs weren't perfect when it comes to skills and they clearly showed he wasn't fully trained yet, but the raw talent was dripping from them while it felt like you could look straight into his (hurt and vulnerable) heart.
There were no shields and only a limited amount of control at the time he sang them, and the same is true for his first books.

I think in his early projects it's the most we will see from who Chris himself is. As he grows older in his writing he will be able to draw more from the outside world while shielding his inside as it were, when he learns how to control his own emotions but play ours at will. It will be excellent craftmanship (like 'Being Alive' is) and because it's Chris there will be enough of himself in his future work that will make them personal and emotionally touching.
But till then I'll enjoy the brief period when we can see the diamond still in the rough, with the expectation/promise of even better to come. neutre

Last edited by Glorfindel on 8/12/2013, 6:14 pm; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 4 of 6 Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next