Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4

+33
CloveGlee
ColferGirl
zuppid
Sani
indiaskye
sjonnepon
M&M
coxfire
Piciollina
Adamina
bayth
msjoanlucette
ChrisColferFan1
MissSoniaPP
tamara04
Ranwing
ladydianab
valkeakuulas
sheny
tanita_mors
BlueJazz
dap1217
sahhar
fantastica
Divalicious
Delight
Jellyrolls
arina
brisallie
Glorfindel
Ireth
Kurt Hummel
ColferInspired
37 posters

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next

Go down

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Empty Re: Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4

Post  fantastica 12/18/2012, 9:05 pm

chris did say that when he wrote TLOS he frequently felt like writing a screenplay and had to fight that urge because novels and screenplays are two different things. it seems that he's more comfortable writing screenplays than novels.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Empty Re: Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4

Post  tanita_mors 12/18/2012, 9:51 pm

TLOS is definitely for kids, 8-12 yo. the storylines are adventures, but rather simplistic and easy to understand, with a straightforward simple the writing style. you can tell it's his first book. it's in a way a kids version of a tv show "once upon a time", because as much as that show is a family show produced by disney, it has themes and imagery that isn't suitable or understandable for anyone who isn't at least a teen. i liked SBL more, because it's closer to what i like in humor and much closer to me age wise. TLOS is a book an adult likes because it takes you back when you yourself were a kid but more importantly it's a book you can read to your little ones at bed time. particularly after going throw the traditional fairy tales.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 12/19/2012, 4:10 am

Adamina wrote:
I'll admit that TLOS was rather choppy in places grammar and flow-wise, and I also found it a little hard to read simply because I'm older than the target audience, but I loved the plot, characters, and his really vivid way of writing... Objectively speaking, it's not a masterpiece, but a) it's his first book, and b) if he's writing this well when he's 20-22, I will be very interested to see what it is like when he's in his forties. I wonder whether his writing will have changed much in the second TLOS book?
Chris is smart and young and it was his first book, so think that he would be definitely able to get better. But I am little afraid if he does not read reviews like he said and hear just fans reactions on twitter and similar places which mentions just the positives I am not sure if he realizes what he could change. Constructive criticism could be beneficial.

That said I loved TLos so maybe my bad english was beneficial for once for me because I wasn't distracted by the writing at all and the book kinda brought me little joy at time that was not exactly the happiest for me so the more I appretiated it.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 12/19/2012, 5:15 am

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9ntiY50R1rlylr1o1_r1_250Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9ntiY50R1rlylr1o2_r1_250Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9ntiY50R1rlylr1o3_r1_250Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9ntiY50R1rlylr1o4_r1_250

I love when he talks about his mom. He always makes the stories so cute and funny.

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9frnfLP21rz0ti0o1_1280

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 6:36 am

As English is also not my first language (although I have read many books in english) I don't think I can comment much on Chris' writing style, except for saying that I never noticed much wrong with it. TLoS was more childish, but as it is targeted at 8-12 year olds that kinda was the point, I think?

What I know is that my 10 year old daughter loves TLoS. Of course, we translated it for her in Dutch, so the writing style was lost a bit, but she loved the story itself, and the characters. She even cried at some moments, and laughed out loud a lot. She also didn't see any plot twists or solutions to riddles/problems coming: she was really into the story.
I think the only thing she figured out herself was the sea dagger from the mermaids, but she found herself so clever when she figured that out, lol.
She is eagerly waiting for the Dutch translation so she can read it herself, which will hopefully come out by the time of her next birthday.

My 14 year old daughter likes TLoS too (she was very moved by the queen's story), but she loves SBL more. I even had to buy her another copy of the book, so she can keep it in her room. And this evening we will watch the movie together!!!
(My 10 year old is not allowed by me to read or see SBL yet.)

So by the reaction of my 2 girls I'd say that Chris nailed the style in both of his books for the targeted audiences.
Personally: I love both books.
I prefer the story of TLoS over SBL, because I'm a big fantasy nerd fan, and not so enthusiastic about teen stories. But the simple writing (style) aimed at kids is sometimes a bit of a let down.
The writing of SBL is much more mature, and I appreciate that. Although the high school story is not appealing to me, I was deeply moved by what happened to Carson in school (having had similar experiences), and by his family dynamic and the twist that caused at the end.

Bottomline: Chris is an amazing storyteller. His stories are engaging and entertaining.
His writing probably needs some more development, but he's just starting (and e.g. the first Harry Potter book is also clearly the writer's first book, in comparison with the last few books of that series), and he'll only improve, imo.
But I think when Chris combines writing with movie making (screenplays) he's at his best, because he knows both worlds, and can make a connection from words to screen because of his experiences in both genres.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 6:41 am

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9f1rodDt1qgwc0bo1_250 Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9f1rodDt1qgwc0bo2_250

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9f1rodDt1qgwc0bo3_250 Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9f1rodDt1qgwc0bo4_250

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9f1rodDt1qgwc0bo5_r1_250 Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9f1rodDt1qgwc0bo6_r1_250
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 12/19/2012, 8:35 am

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9zlqq0l11rk63wco1_r2_1280

Chris is so cute. wub But the first one is my favourite. He looks great there.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 8:49 am

Wow.
I just finished watching SBL. I'll never know what it must have been seeing the movie before reading the book and what impact that would have made, but still..... it's a very powerful movie and story.

Chris is such a great actor, it's almost unbelievable. Noone can ever state again that Chris is only playing himself as Kurt (but we already knew that). Carson was so different from both of them. And I think the "I don't think he can act straight" argument got blown out of the water too.
Chris, Allison, Christina and Polly did such amazing acting, and their characters rang the most true for me. Rebel was good as well, and funny.

Spoiler:

Wow, still processing.

Last edited by Glorfindel on 12/19/2012, 9:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  CloveGlee 12/19/2012, 9:06 am

OK, as a youth services librarian who has read a lot of children's literature, I will tell you what I didn't love about Land of Stories.

I thought it took a very long time to get off the ground. The book is much more interesting once the children actually end up in the Land Of Stories, but it takes too long to get there. Also, once they are in the Land of Stories, it reads very much like a video game. They have to get this item from here and that item from there and the other item from the third place, and I've already played that video game a number of times. In one case, they actually fail at their task but manage to have the item given to them anyway. There's not a lot of suspense there or any doubt that they will succeed.

And I stopped reading after that. I just put it down one day and I meant to pick it back up but I didn't happen to get around to it. And I just didn't feel like talking about that.

Within the rather stale plot, however, were all kinds of amazing ideas that showed a lot of talent. The concept of Goldilocks as an outlaw, for instance, was really clever. He had oodles of great ideas in that book, but I think he needed a better editor. Unfortunately, book editors tend not to give tough love to their celebrity writers. Even Jamie Lee Curtis, who is one of the best of the celebrity children's book writers, gets away with some awkward phrases that don't scan which an editor would ask her to rewrite if she were not Jamie Lee Curtis.

Struck by Lightning was a more original story that played to some deep emotional truths while also being very funny. It's a much more honest and insightful piece of work, and I am really excited for him.

CloveGlee
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

http://recappersdelight.blogspot.com/

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 9:55 am

CloveGlee wrote:(---) In one case, they actually fail at their task but manage to have the item given to them anyway. There's not a lot of suspense there or any doubt that they will succeed.

And I stopped reading after that.
That was, I think, the weakest part of the entire book, when that item you talk about somehow miraculously ended up in their possession anyway. I also found that getting the items was too easy and mostly going through the motions of a video game, as you so greatly described, although it was still entertaining because of the witty writing and Alex and Connor's bickering. Them talking to the little fairy was simply hilarious.

Finding the items was the least interesting part of the book for me (although my 10 year old loved that part: these sort of quests/treasure hunts 'work' for kids her age apparently, maybe that's why there are so many video games like that).
The side-stories during and after the treasure hunt (Froggy, Goldilocks, Alex and Connor's family history) kept me interested (esp. Froggy), and the book really picks up in the last chapters.
But I do see where you come from. The treasure hunt, the battle and some other things did remind me of video games or action movies..... kid's stuff. But again: deliberate from Chris or not, it worked for the target audience.

Within the rather stale plot, however, were all kinds of amazing ideas that showed a lot of talent. The concept of Goldilocks as an outlaw, for instance, was really clever. He had oodles of great ideas in that book, but I think he needed a better editor. Unfortunately, book editors tend not to give tough love to their celebrity writers. Even Jamie Lee Curtis, who is one of the best of the celebrity children's book writers, gets away with some awkward phrases that don't scan which an editor would ask her to rewrite if she were not Jamie Lee Curtis.
Yes, he definitely needed a better editor, or at least someone who had put their foot down when discussing with Chris.

Struck by Lightning was a more original story that played to some deep emotional truths while also being very funny. It's a much more honest and insightful piece of work, and I am really excited for him.
I don't think SBL is more insightful (I think that TLoS was very insightful too, if you read between the lines), but SBL is indeed more honest, and raw.
It's an amazing piece of work, and I can't believe that I, as an adult (for more years than Chris is alive) was so emotionally moved and personally touched (by the lack of a better word) by the writing of a 20 year-ish old kid.
The fact that he knows and understands the me I was in high school, and managed to dig up feelings I had buried deep about that period and made me re-evaluate my life a bit..... that's remarkable.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 10:35 am

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9sy7AUQS1qhvuz6o1_500

#19 !!!
(and counting?)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 12/19/2012, 10:45 am

Glorfindel wrote:Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mf9sy7AUQS1qhvuz6o1_500

#19 !!!
(and counting?)
It's great SBL is doing so well, but what does this charts exactly means? The most downloaded movie of the day, week, month or what?

And great that you liked the movie! I love reading positive reactions :-)
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 12/19/2012, 11:28 am

CloveGlee: Thanks for your opinion about TLos, I understand it and agree with some of it. But I think TLoS was definitely the most interesting in the last chapters, so I hope that one day maybe you'll finish the book because if you read some of the worse parts it would be kinda loss not to read the best part I think.

And the best was TLoS as audio book and I am not even big fan of audio books :-)
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 12/19/2012, 2:28 pm

I decided to wait to rent the movie until Friday, as I am off the weekend, I can replay it, since you pay for 3 days. I did double check that I can watch it on my big TV, because it has an amazon link on it, and I think I can. So Friday I will turn my Christmas lights on, and watch Chris' gift to the fans. Two more days!!

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 12/19/2012, 2:55 pm

That placing is insanely good since most films ahead of SBL are all major studio films with massive budgets and advertising deals! Hurrah for this, and hoping it'll boost the actual US distribution on theaters and European distribution deals.

I'm so happy for both Chris and Dannelly and the rest of the people who've worked on this film. It all goes to show that Chris will get more recognition and future deals with his works.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 12/19/2012, 3:12 pm

I just checked, my XFinity (formerly Comcast) also has it on Demand, same pricing. So what we see is also diluted by those who choose to use their video service to order it. I don't know if you can view it for 3 days, like Amazon, though. So I will probably stick with Amazon.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  coxfire 12/19/2012, 5:39 pm

Do you have to be in the US to buy it? I couldn't on amazon and my Itunes doesn't seem to find the movie, only the poscasts... crycry
coxfire
coxfire
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 12/19/2012, 6:14 pm

I'm afraid I don't know, as I am in the US. I don't know what their policies are for international purchases. I am surprised that you couldn't rent it off Amazon. Perhaps they are lagging behind. Do any of our international people have advice?

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 6:49 pm

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 A-fka8ZCIAE8u-Q

bounce hola hola bounce
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 12/19/2012, 6:51 pm

coxfire wrote:Do you have to be in the US to buy it? I couldn't on amazon and my Itunes doesn't seem to find the movie, only the poscasts... crycry
Yes, you have to be in the USA to be able to rent it. However, there are ways to get it from iTunes anyway.

Here's a link that explains it:
how to set up......

If you have any questions, PM me, although I'm no expert in this. @IndiaSkye helped me.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/19/2012, 7:14 pm

arina wrote:Chris is smart and young and it was his first book, so think that he would be definitely able to get better. But I am little afraid if he does not read reviews like he said and hear just fans reactions on twitter and similar places which mentions just the positives I am not sure if he realizes what he could change. Constructive criticism could be beneficial.

what he needs is a very good editor, someone who can help/guide him in the technicality of writing. reading professional reviews can be helpful too, but it's dangerous to read fan reviews. there are of course some very professional writers in the fandom who give unbiased opinions but there are also some obnoxious fans whose words are probably better not be read by anyone. If the people surrounding him care about his long term professional viability, they should and will give him honest advice.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/19/2012, 7:18 pm

Divalicious wrote:I just checked, my XFinity (formerly Comcast) also has it on Demand, same pricing. So what we see is also diluted by those who choose to use their video service to order it. I don't know if you can view it for 3 days, like Amazon, though. So I will probably stick with Amazon.

the itune number maybe diluted, but rest assured that chris and his people and the investors will get paid more because of those extra venues. neutre

fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/19/2012, 7:23 pm

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mfamgoemNQ1qh5dyro1_500

mother Struckers.... Razz
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 12/19/2012, 9:25 pm

Chris Colfer Appreciation Thread!--part 4 - Page 21 Tumblr_mfazavuNXJ1qh5dyro1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ladydianab 12/19/2012, 9:47 pm

That is so awesome. Brings a real connection between Chris and the fans. Wonder what is in it, it would be fun to look at it! Hope he has a large house for all the gifts that he receives.
ladydianab
ladydianab
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 21 of 40 Previous  1 ... 12 ... 20, 21, 22 ... 30 ... 40  Next