Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Land of Stories Main Thread

+51
Kurt addict
mindschemez
JamieRulz
bayth
coxfire
Georgette888
ColdFlame96
Lottie2303
MoviesAreLife
mae55
zuppid
MissSoniaPP
sheny
Adamina
tamara04
Sani
Catt24
Ranwing
LeòdhasachColfer
happydays
Buenos
Kurt Hummel
msjoanlucette
ChrisColferFan1
ladydianab
BlueJazz
fountain
valkeakuulas
kac
sahhar
CloveGlee
paulopf
emilynna
Divalicious
arina
Coolbeans3131
red texta
Emile
sjonnepon
Glorfindel
Rimbaux
dap1217
Delight
ColferGirl
brisallie
Ireth
tanita_mors
ColferInspired
Jellyrolls
fantastica
Shinra17
55 posters

Page 8 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 32  Next

Go down

The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Land of Stories Main Thread

Post  Glorfindel 6/21/2012, 3:58 am

I'm in love with a book. blinkk
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Empty Re: The Land of Stories Main Thread

Post  tanita_mors 6/21/2012, 4:48 am

The art work is just spectacular. That is one gorgeous book. It's like everything a kids fairy tales book should look like and of course I'm sure the content is just as amazing. Can't wait, and hopefully one day I will be holding it with this title (my personal translation) : "Zemlja Bajki - Čarolija Želja" od Krisa Kolfera. Someone has to translate this beauty to Serbian. They just have too.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 6/21/2012, 5:47 am

OH! The book is beautiful!
The design in lovely, and is totally what would attract a younger me if I saw it on a library shelf.

tanita_mors wrote:with this title (my personal translation) : "Zemlja Bajki - Čarolija Želja" od Krisa Kolfera. Someone has to translate this beauty to Serbian. They just have too.
Uhh, I love the name 'Chris' in Serbian! - But they don't translate that too, haha.
In Italian 'Christopher' is 'Cristoforo', bleah.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 6/21/2012, 8:09 am

Technically, his name is Kris Kolfer in Serbian (or Крис Колфер if I use Cyrillic). The "od Krisa Kolfera (by Chris Colfer)" is in the grammatical form of a declension. Declensions are what makes Serbian pretty hard for foreigners to learn, because every word can go throw 7 of them and the ending of the word are different.

His full name would be : Kristofer Pol Kolfer (Кристофер Пол Колфер)

And actually, the name of the author gets translated and written in Serbian as well. Almost always. (Dž.K. Rouling, Dž.R.R. Tolkin, ...)

Example :

Sorcerer's Stone
The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 694510333690744d2da780c8a50

Chamber of secrets
The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Hari%20Poter%20i%20dvorana%20tajni

Deathly Hallows
The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 12014_hari-poter-i-relikvije-smrti_if
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 6/21/2012, 8:46 am

^^Seven of them? Woh! I don't know very much about declensions, I only came across them studying romance linguistic. Latin had five, but we completely lost them (thank god, haha).

And uh, that's interesting, I didn't think the author's name gets curently translated (mh, probably for make everything more 'familiar'?), I thought it was something fallen into disuse. Here was common to translate it some decade ago.
The same goes for the characters names, but even this now is unusual and more at the translator's discretion.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 6/21/2012, 9:29 am

fantastica wrote:The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Tumblr_m5xsenI9tl1qj8dg6o1_500
The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Tumblr_m5xsenI9tl1qj8dg6o2_500

wub I want this so badly!

tanita_mors wrote:The art work is just spectacular. That is one gorgeous book. It's like everything a kids fairy tales book should look like and of course I'm sure the content is just as amazing. Can't wait, and hopefully one day I will be holding it with this title (my personal translation) : "Zemlja Bajki - Čarolija Želja" od Krisa Kolfera. Someone has to translate this beauty to Serbian. They just have too.

Krisa Kolfera? Umm it sounds more like a girl name to me. In your language usually add an "a" at the end of foreign names or what's the rule?

Emile wrote:
Uhh, I love the name 'Chris' in Serbian! - But they don't translate that too, haha.

In spanish is Cristóbal Razz
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 6/21/2012, 9:54 am

brisallie wrote:
Emile wrote:

Omg, all I can think about when I heard Cristobal (pardon, I don't have that accented 'o' on my keyboard) is Paso Adelante. Razz
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 6/21/2012, 10:46 am

Krystal ball? I.want one!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 6/21/2012, 11:03 am

brisallie wrote:
fantastica wrote:The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Tumblr_m5xsenI9tl1qj8dg6o1_500

wub I want this so badly!

tanita_mors wrote:The art work is just spectacular. That is one gorgeous book. It's like everything a kids fairy tales book should look like and of course I'm sure the content is just as amazing. Can't wait, and hopefully one day I will be holding it with this title (my personal translation) : "Zemlja Bajki - Čarolija Želja" od Krisa Kolfera. Someone has to translate this beauty to Serbian. They just have too.

Krisa Kolfera? Umm it sounds more like a girl name to me. In your language usually add an "a" at the end of foreign names or what's the rule?

Emile wrote:

No, his name is written and pronounced as " Kris Kolfer ". The extra "a" is a Grammatical case (or declination). In the case of "by Chris Colfer" is translated into "od Krisa Kolfera" "the genitive case" - which roughly corresponds to English's possessive case and preposition of, indicates the possessor of another noun. The "a" at the end is : In some languages, particularly Slavic languages, a case may contain different groups of endings depending on whether the word is a noun or an adjective. A single case may contain many different endings, some of which may even be derived from different roots.

As I said, it's kind of difficult for me to describe to you, because it comes natural to us. The same why that we don't need, he/she to know if the first person written text is male of female.

For example : I was born in 1986.

A man would write it like this : Ja sam rođen 1986.
A woman would - Ja sam rođena 1986.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 6/21/2012, 11:16 am

I find this cover solution lovely and handy, since the fold-out map will be available even if the cover paper gets lost or covered in plastic like in most libraries. They've really thought about this...pure professionalism...and it will soon be mine. Part of Christophers mind will be OURS!

@TanitaMors: I find it interesting that some other language besides finnish has many cases. Finnish has 15 noun cases, that's why it takes a long time to translate a book well. I really hope they will translate this one to finnish, they seem to translate a lot of shit YA literature for no reason. They should definately add a good and interesting book to their catalogues.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 6/21/2012, 11:53 am

tanita_mors wrote:No, his name is written and pronounced as " Kris Kolfer ". The extra "a" is a Grammatical case (or declination). In the case of "by Chris Colfer" is translated into "od Krisa Kolfera" "the genitive case" - which roughly corresponds to English's possessive case and preposition of, indicates the possessor of another noun. The "a" at the end is : In some languages, particularly Slavic languages, a case may contain different groups of endings depending on whether the word is a noun or an adjective. A single case may contain many different endings, some of which may even be derived from different roots.

As I said, it's kind of difficult for me to describe to you, because it comes natural to us. The same why that we don't need, he/she to know if the first person written text is male of female.

Mhhm, kind of understood, but yes, is difficult. Latin had cases, but I never really cared to studied it.
As I said romances languages completely lost them, so in Italian there really is no traces of them, apart from the personal pronouns.

But for example I know that Romanian is different. Standing more at east it has been influenced by the Balkan linguistic (oh, if I'm not wrong Romania is even part of the Balkan Linguistic Union), so it has this strange bicasual systems based on the distintion between nominative-accusative, on one hand, and genitive-dative, on the other, that appears only on the singolar female names. So I think it presents linguistic phenomenons common, even if to a lesser degree, to Serbian too.
But uhh, unfortunately I only this know theoretically.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 6/21/2012, 3:48 pm

Emile wrote:
brisallie wrote:

Omg, all I can think about when I heard Cristobal (pardon, I don't have that accented 'o' on my keyboard) is Paso Adelante. Razz

Aren't you talking about "Un paso adelante"? Is a spanish series. I have no idea how many seasons have but I saw the first one some years ago.

fantastica wrote:Krystal ball? I.want one!

Razz Like your word game Kim.

tanita_mors wrote:

No, his name is written and pronounced as " Kris Kolfer ". The extra "a" is a Grammatical case (or declination). In the case of "by Chris Colfer" is translated into "od Krisa Kolfera" "the genitive case" - which roughly corresponds to English's possessive case and preposition of, indicates the possessor of another noun. The "a" at the end is : In some languages, particularly Slavic languages, a case may contain different groups of endings depending on whether the word is a noun or an adjective. A single case may contain many different endings, some of which may even be derived from different roots.

This too much information to me. To sum up in this case "a" it related to the possesive? :headache: Currently I'm not at home but later I'll read about this because I found it interesting. Thanks to the explanation anyway.

Last edited by brisallie on 6/21/2012, 6:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 6/21/2012, 3:55 pm

I'd explain it in more detail, but unfortunately, I don't know the correct English terminology to do it any justice and without further confusing those who don't know what "padež " aka. Grammatical case (or declination) is in Serbian.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 6/21/2012, 4:32 pm

brisallie wrote:
Emile wrote:
brisallie wrote:

Aren't you talking about "Un paso adelante"? Is a spanish series. I have no idea how many seasons have but I saw the first one some years ago.
Uh, right! Yes, Un paso adelante (here was called without the 'un'), it's the same, aha.
I think they did something like five series...? Boh. When I was like thirteen I watched it every afternoon on TV, but I have no idea how many series they have done, LOL.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 6/21/2012, 10:32 pm

The Land of Stories Main Thread - Page 8 Tumblr_m5zkfh0MQr1qgmz00o1_500
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 6/22/2012, 2:52 pm

tanita_mors wrote:No, his name is written and pronounced as " Kris Kolfer ".
How is it for his sister, does the family name change like in Russian or in Czech for the female gender? In Czech, her name should be something like Hana Colferova, I think.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 6/22/2012, 5:08 pm

No, we don't have that distinction. The last name is the same for both genders so her name would be : Hana Kolfer (Хана Колфер). Simply put, the names are pronounced the same why they are in the original language and written with our grammatical rules : write exactly as it is spoken, read exactly as it is written. Dinara Safina is also Dinara Safina (Динара Сафина).

For example, the world "written", would be written like this if we used our rule in English : "vriten" (there is no W or Q or Y in Serbia). Or "word" - "vurd", "English" - "Ingliš" , "Glee" - "Gli",...
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 6/24/2012, 3:59 pm

^ Basically it's a phonetic transposition, like what is used in languages that use ideograms

Chris Colfer in Japanese would be kurisu korufāto (クリス・コルファーと。), pronounced kris korfa-to, the "u" are silent, the "to" at the end is added to foreign names.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 6/24/2012, 4:04 pm

in my language everything is "meow". whis
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 6/24/2012, 4:27 pm

Since when this topic turned into the (foreign) language thread?

Chris Colfer in Japanese would be kurisu korufāto (クリス・コルファーと。), pronounced kris korfa-to, the "u" are silent, the "to" at the end is added to foreign names.

Didn't know that about the "to" at the end of the names. Luckily my name is syllabic so I think is easier for them: ro-mi-na ロミナ
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 6/24/2012, 4:39 pm

^ i don't know why i always associate your name w/ ramen noodles in my subconscious mind. phr34r
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 6/24/2012, 5:03 pm

brisallie wrote:Since when this topic turned into the (foreign) language thread?
Well, at least, we stay in the literature field Smile

Didn't know that about the "to" at the end of the names.
Me either Smile . It's something I have noticed, but I don't know the rule about it. For instance, I have a friend named Vincent, and everyone says "vincento", the "o" is not silent like it's the case for the letters used to comply with the writing rules and everyone knows it's actually vincent lol.

edit: @brisallie, bah forget what I said, I just went on the Japanese wikipedia and his name is written クリス・コルファー (= kurisu korufā).
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 6/24/2012, 5:40 pm

fantastica wrote:^ i don't know why i always associate your name w/ ramen noodles in my subconscious mind. phr34r

blinkk Umm I don't know what to say because I've never thought my name sounds like ramen noodles lol Well your name and I'm sure you feel proud for it reminds me a cat.

Shinra17 wrote:
brisallie wrote:Since when this topic turned into the (foreign) language thread?
Well, at least, we stay in the literature field Smile

Didn't know that about the "to" at the end of the names.
Me either Smile . It's something I have noticed, but I don't know the rule about it. For instance, I have a friend named Vincent, and everyone says "vincento", the "o" is not silent like it's the case for the letters used to comply with the writing rules and everyone knows it's actually vincent lol.

Well the written is correct because japanese is a syllabic language so they need to add a letter at the end or between non syllabic letters. I think they try to adequate the name to the sound instead of the writing, like in Martina that's is "Marutina" マルチナ, so if your heard the pronunciation from a japanese person it sounds closer to the original one.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 6/24/2012, 7:29 pm

i am very curious, what is considered "foreign" in japanese language? I am sure any language of the alphabets like English, French, etc. but what about Chinese? do they add "to" at the end of the name too? and how do they pronounce a chinese person's name? phonetically (pronounce the name as a chinese person would) or based on the Japanese pronounciation of the Kanji/chinese characters?

when chinese pronounce the japanese person's name, they simply pronounce it the way chinese would. each kanji character would have one sillable. so the resulting name sounds nothing at all like the japanese pronounciation, and they sound pretty funny.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 6/24/2012, 8:32 pm

^
I know they use katakana for all of those words who are not japanese,mostly from western languages so is the same with names. Also I've seen that usually korean names are written with katakana because I've seen korean celebrities on japanese TV shows and their names are written with that alphabet but honestly I don't know what happen with chinese names because I think both languages share some kanjis, right?

I find this on internet:

How to read my Chinese name in Japanese?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 32 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 20 ... 32  Next