Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10

+29
TimF
JamieRulz
angelnessa
Kurt addict
CloveGlee
Porcelain
ChrisColferFan1
Delight
glimmerle
Ireth
tanita_mors
sheny
sjonnepon
Georgette888
AnneNeville
coxfire
Ranwing
fantastica
bayth
valkeakuulas
brisallie
ColdFlame96
Divalicious
Buenos
Glorfindel
SippyCupofLuv
Jellyrolls
ColferInspired
Lottie2303
33 posters

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next

Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10 - Page 23 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10

Post  Ranwing 1/21/2014, 11:17 am

From the Spoiler thread...

Spoiler:

She's been doing this to me for quite some time. And this is coming from someone who really liked Rachel (and Lea) in the beginning. I know that OTT peformance was a hallmark of Rachel's character back at the start, but this is someone who is supposed to be on the verge of becoming a true professional and you would expect that by this point, that she would have been taught how to modulate her singing style. Part of the problem, I think, is the fact that Lea came onto the show as such a seasoned performer that we didn't have the chance to see any real growth in her style or technique (as we did with Chris and Cory, both who improved signifigantly). If anything, Lea's technique has gotten worse (and lazy) over the past few years.

I think worse, I find her performances pretty soulless. I just don't get any real emotional punch even when she's trying to bludgeon me with ALL. THE. FEELS! I appreciate her talent, but I just don't get any visceral response. I would much rather listen to a singer who's voice isn't so powerful and who's technique isn't so amazing (as her's was back in seasons one and two) but who I get some genuine emotion from. Lea just bores me at this point.

Last edited by Jellyrolls on 1/21/2014, 1:03 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Adding a spoiler tag)
Ranwing
Ranwing
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10 - Page 23 Empty Re: Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 2:18 pm

When I think about how much screen time Glee wasted in trying to make the insipid passive Marley character a 'star' , or trying to make Jarley into something.  Plus all the catfishing, dyslexia, and sexual abuse, and unrequited Markey love for Ryder, and the interminable number of group numbers to sell the New New Directions as 'close'.  Throw to the mix trying to make Blaine the leading character and eating disorders and school shootings and the best thing is to look at the utter wreck of the last year and a half as a bad nightmare one has woken up from and moved on.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 2:23 pm

Personally I think Naya  and Amber  connect better emotionally with a song than Lea, though I think Lea does fine.  She sounded wonderful in " Yesterday".

With "Defying gravity" I'd wait until I've actually seen and heard the number.  coool 

Chris ,  was ' Bring him Home" the last emotional ballad he got?  It's been a year!
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10 - Page 23 Empty Emotional

Post  Kurt addict 1/21/2014, 3:03 pm

Gosh time flies, and Chris is supreme at interpreting emotion in a song, it's the storyteller in him that evokes the feelings he can convey, I remember zach saying that Chris can take whatever he is doing And make it his own and that's something that can't be taught! I think he was referring to the single ladies dance then, but I think that applies to most things that he does. :Smile  
Kurt addict
Kurt addict
Sea Monkey
Sea Monkey

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/21/2014, 6:11 pm

^So true. With Chris his songs are never a copy of the original, unless he wants them to be (like Whitney's 'I Have Nothing'), and even then there's still plenty of his own persona in it.

I'm so mad that he doesn't sing more on the show, especially the emotional power ballads.

@Ranwing: agree with you 100% when it comes to Lea. She's an amazing singer technically and voice-wise, but she's gone a bit lazy (or too trademark-ish OTT Rachel) over the years, and when she's singing with too many (fake?) emotions I can't find the soul in her songs anymore.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 6:29 pm

Eh, Lea/Rachel is still better I feel than practically anyone out there or most of the other singing leads they had for the nightmare that was S4 and S5 so I'm good.  Razz 

Mercedes, Santana and Kurt can be very good on emotional songs, especially the right ones. Kevin is a good singer but I don't think Arties is all that great in conveying emotional depths in his singing, I think he's more suited to up tempop songs. Though his take on "Fire and Rain" in the "The Quarterback" was very nice.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 1/21/2014, 7:00 pm

I sincerely still pissed Defying Gravity wasn't a Kurt solo. Having said that, is true that sometimes Lea choices when it comes to portray Rachel emotions in her songs are OTT, and personally I don't like it so much. I think is early to start to speculate how OTT is gonna be her lines in DF, I hope it turns out to be a beautiful performance.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 7:14 pm

brisallie wrote:I sincerely still pissed Defying Gravity wasn't a Kurt solo.

Oh I agree, having "Defying Gravity" as a solo for Kurt now made so much more sense. We'll have to see how the 5.13 set list pans out.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 1/21/2014, 7:30 pm

no solos for chris this year. haven't any of gotten the memo.  phr34r 
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 7:56 pm

Yet Marley got "Wrecking ball" swinging on her plastic toy set.   coool

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10 - Page 23 Marleywreckingball
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Porcelain 1/21/2014, 8:10 pm

Buenos wrote:Yet Marley got "Wrecking ball" swinging on her plastic toy set.   coool

LOL! I still haven't actually seen that performance, can't bring myself to watch a whole episode called "The End of Twerk."  Shocked 
Porcelain
Porcelain
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 8:30 pm

Don't watch it Porcelain, having rhythm-impaired actors trying to twerk, Jarley angst , etc.  Shocked 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/21/2014, 8:50 pm

Buenos wrote:Yet Marley got "Wrecking ball" swinging on her plastic toy set.   coool

Lol, that song almost was as ridiculous as Blaine's 'Fighter'.  tonguue
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 9:07 pm

Their "equivalent" as  a group number was "ROAR".   Shocked 

Kurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10 - Page 23 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSLwx-gBMuqOMN7JvYGr2NGMJH1YO5xtfpH-huCSj_d1akJqC7oKurt Hummel Snark & Bark Thread--Part 10 - Page 23 Images?q=tbn:ANd9GcQR9En5l4yfz-QNod2PyHqBpGtuHU4tH6mjGPT23PLyU_JF20PI

And some still wonder why FOX made them dump McKinely..... coool 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 1/21/2014, 9:26 pm

Buenos wrote:
And some still wonder why FOX made them dump McKinely..... coool 

The only 'wonder' here is why FOX didn't make them dump McKinley sooner. This decision has probably come too late to salvage the show.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Jellyrolls 1/21/2014, 9:35 pm

Ugh. Scary pictures revisited.
Jellyrolls
Jellyrolls
Colferite Administrator
Colferite Administrator

http://jellyrollskaren.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/21/2014, 11:44 pm

Don't even get me started on the horror of the Sergeant Pepper's Lonely Heart's Club Band" number.  Shocked 

It's an 'embarrassment' of riches this year.
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 1/21/2014, 11:52 pm

Buenos wrote:
Don't even get me started on the horror of the Sergeant Pepper's  Lonely Heart's Club Band" number.   Shocked 

Didn't watch that performance at all. Can't even recall if I've even watched that episode. Looks like I've dodged a bullet there...
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/22/2014, 12:26 am

Delight wrote:
Buenos wrote:
Don't even get me started on the horror of the Sergeant Pepper's  Lonely Heart's Club Band" number.   Shocked 

Didn't watch that performance at all. Can't even recall if I've even watched that episode. Looks like I've dodged a bullet there...

You dodged a hot steaming mess...

The number of full scale "production" numbers this year is so laughable , with the student body joining in the fun. More color! More costumes! More forced fun!
Plus who thought that highlighting Becky as a sexually suggestive student was 'funny'.  Shocked 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/22/2014, 6:24 am

^Becky is absolutely awful now, repulsive even.  Evil or Very Mad 

Buenos wrote:

How about 'What Does the Fox Say'?

'Blurred Lines'?

Mad 

Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 1/22/2014, 5:15 pm

I'm ashamed to say this, but I kinda like 'What does the fox say?', because is funny silly song. The only thing I didn't like was the stupid puppet plot.

However, still I think that having songs such as 'the fox','blurred lines and 'wrecking ball' is only a desperate movement to bring some audience.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/22/2014, 6:49 pm

brisallie wrote:I'm ashamed to say this, but I kinda like 'What does the fox say?', because is funny silly song. The only thing I didn't like was the stupid puppet plot.

However, still I think that having songs such as 'the fox','blurred lines and 'wrecking ball' is only a desperate movement to bring some audience.

What I noticed is that the big shift in S4 was that many times they didn't really trust the characters to just sing a song unless it was with bells and whistles.  I also think the female characters were under served because they didn't trust for the most part the actresses/actors portraying Marley, Kitty, Tina or Unique had the star wattage to just sit down and sing a song in the choir stripped down and "bare" the way Lea, Amber or Naya could do it.

While many here hate Blaine/Sam, but to me they worked OK with the NY characters in  "just the way you are" ie it didn't have huge production values but it was just 5 characters in the loft the audience knew singing together and it worked because of that.

In hypothetical forums unless characters have tons of costumes and cheerleaders flying through the hallways they were "bored" with drab, dreary NY numbers.  It's not the songs or production values, it's the characters that in the end make the musical numbers work.  Sure imaginative numbers with production values  can  work great  but in the end if you don't care for the characters it doesn't matter, they just become music videos with no connection to anyone.  That is why while I think someone like Darren has some talent, his character Blaine doesn't work for me most of the time because he's so underdeveloped with little background or motivation, unlike someone like say, Santana or even Artie.

Adam Lambert in "Marry the Night" worked because his star wattage just blazed on the screen.   Razz

Brisallie,, NGL, i thought as a silly novelty song "FOX" was fine.  Razz 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Georgette888 1/22/2014, 8:09 pm

I know *sometimes* the term is wielded by bigots but I wish some fans would stop acting as if ever saying Chris is at all fem is an insult.Being fem or having some traditionally feminine traits is not bad nor is it inherently an insult, for fuck's sake. One of the things I love most about Chris is his mix of traditionally regarded 'masculinity' with 'femininity'.
Georgette888
Georgette888
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 1/22/2014, 8:47 pm

Georgette888 wrote:I know *sometimes* the term is wielded by bigots but I wish some fans would stop acting as if ever saying Chris is at all fem is an insult.Being fem or having some traditionally feminine traits is not bad nor is it inherently an insult, for fuck's sake. One of the things I love most about Chris is his mix of traditionally regarded 'masculinity' with 'femininity'.

It says more about the hangups of the fans, TBH , and their own projections about the actor and I might add also the character he portrays. phr34r 

I love Kurt being a mix of fem/masculine while still being a real man in all senses of the word. Ditto for Chris in real life.

Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 1/22/2014, 9:35 pm

Georgette888 wrote:I know *sometimes* the term is wielded by bigots but I wish some fans would stop acting as if ever saying Chris is at all fem is an insult.Being fem or having some traditionally feminine traits is not bad nor is it inherently an insult, for fuck's sake. One of the things I love most about Chris is his mix of traditionally regarded 'masculinity' with 'femininity'.
Completely agree.  iagree 
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 23 of 40 Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 31 ... 40  Next