Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Interviews and Articles about Chris from the Tribeca Film Festival

+14
Kurt Hummel
dap1217
valkeakuulas
Shinra17
sahhar
kac
fantastica
Buenos
brisallie
tanita_mors
Delight
ColferInspired
arina
Emile
18 posters

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3

Go down

Interviews and Articles about Chris from the Tribeca Film Festival - Page 3 Empty Re: Interviews and Articles about Chris from the Tribeca Film Festival

Post  Emile 4/27/2012, 6:33 pm

arina wrote:
^OMG, apart from Chris, this is so annoying. Shocked
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Interviews and Articles about Chris from the Tribeca Film Festival - Page 3 Empty Re: Interviews and Articles about Chris from the Tribeca Film Festival

Post  Kurt Hummel 4/27/2012, 6:45 pm

^I agree. I stopped watching after they showed Chris.
Kurt Hummel
Kurt Hummel
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/27/2012, 7:45 pm

Don't know if this has been posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ology Interview: Chris Colfer Talks ‘Struck By Lightning’
Chris Colfer is really impressive. No really, that isn’t just the Golden Globe or countless platinum records that he’s part of with the success of Glee. No, Chris isn’t just impressive because of that- it’s the fact that he’s actually a good writer as well (something that gains super cool points in my book). Ology sat down with Chris to discuss his film Struck By Lightning that premiered during the Tribeca Film Festival. His magnetism was instant; this kid is no diva (even though he totally could be).

On the inception of Struck By Lightning:

The concept of the project came to me in high school and I really just kind of used it as a way to vent, therapeutically about my frustrations in high school and my peers and my teachers and my parents. I internalized everything in high school. I could never have said things I thought out loud or spoke on how I felt. I really kind of created this character who did as a way to do that at home with on my computer where no one could beat me up for saying it. It kind of took on a life of its own and I really thought, wow, this would be a really great movie, with a character like this because I’ve never seen a character like this before who’s passionate about writing. Except for Harriet the Spy.

On leaving out a romantic subplot:
Me of all people did not want to do another sexual education story. In my opinion, I feel if you address a characters orientation and they have a really strong message to tell, kids who don’t identify with that orientation won’t identify with the message that’s being told. If he was gay the straight kids wouldn’t listen as much and if he was straight then the gay kids would stop listening. Also, selfishly, being part of Glee, I didn’t want to do another couple. That was just me. I just wanted the point of the movie to be the message not who he was sleeping with or in a way jack off to. To identify Carson’s orientation, I think he has a crush on Rachel Madow
and it confuses him.

On his new identity as a writer:
You now what I wanted to adapt so bad and I was so sad when it got snatched up, was Candyland. But that’s all right, they can have it. Things like that, for adaption it has to be really fun. Like, [the upcoming series The Little Leftover Witch] was fun and got adapted for Disney because it was about a witch and it was magic and it was friendship and it was cute and it was fun. It’s not ‘The Art of War’ or anything like that. I have such strong ADD, anytime I complete anything it’s a miracle. So, it would have to be something really fun.

On the future of Glee and the graduation episode:
I have no idea, we haven’t gotten the script yet. So, I do not know about the graduation episode. I do know that we have a really amazing NYADA episode coming up with Rachel and Kurt, they audition for the NYADA school. Whoopie plays the NYADA professor that comes out and recruits people. That’s really all I know and we’re shooting nationals next week and that’s going to be a lot of fun. I don’t want to give anything away about that.

|27 April, X
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/27/2012, 7:47 pm

yes a few pages back but there are so many it's easy to forget. fanny2
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 4/27/2012, 7:58 pm

^AH! Okay! Ignore my post then! I wasn't sure if post it or not...then I posted it. arghh
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/27/2012, 8:14 pm

it's ok. some people don't read so you are just giving them more opportunity to read. Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  red texta 4/28/2012, 1:21 am

haha, I laughed at that Teen.com clip. I know it's vaguely stupid and, well, teenage but I thought it was really interesting to see the way Chris is presented on these things. One of the girls gushing all over him and saying she's gonna marry him and the other girl going , yeah, right, never gonna happen... Why not? Err, tell ya later... then referring to him as her "future husband." They're not ignoring his appeal and they're not pretending he's straight either. It gives me hope that people will get past the perception that someone has to be straight to appeal to the opposite sex.

The set report from the extra makes me sad though. Not because of what's in it, (it's a nice account and anyone who thinks Chris is disliked by the cast is an actual idiot, or listening to idiots) but because people must have been hitting that girl's ask-box with these stupid questions and claims that Chris is a diva. We know who that is. Sigh.
red texta
red texta
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/28/2012, 2:31 am

fantastica wrote:i hope chris is not reading those f words on youtube comments. a lot of hte times people are so irresponsible when they are talking online, they enjoy being mean.
Yeah, it makes me sad that he has read comments on youtube, although every video of his is full of nice comments, always there is someone who likes attention and he/she is trying to win it with nasty comments...
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/28/2012, 10:16 am

Emile wrote:Don't know if this has been posted:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ology Interview: Chris Colfer Talks ‘Struck By Lightning’
Chris Colfer is really impressive. No really, that isn’t just the Golden Globe or countless platinum records that he’s part of with the success of Glee. No, Chris isn’t just impressive because of that- it’s the fact that he’s actually a good writer as well (something that gains super cool points in my book). Ology sat down with Chris to discuss his film Struck By Lightning that premiered during the Tribeca Film Festival. His magnetism was instant; this kid is no diva (even though he totally could be).

On the inception of Struck By Lightning:

The concept of the project came to me in high school and I really just kind of used it as a way to vent, therapeutically about my frustrations in high school and my peers and my teachers and my parents. I internalized everything in high school. I could never have said things I thought out loud or spoke on how I felt. I really kind of created this character who did as a way to do that at home with on my computer where no one could beat me up for saying it. It kind of took on a life of its own and I really thought, wow, this would be a really great movie, with a character like this because I’ve never seen a character like this before who’s passionate about writing. Except for Harriet the Spy.

On leaving out a romantic subplot:
Me of all people did not want to do another sexual education story. In my opinion, I feel if you address a characters orientation and they have a really strong message to tell, kids who don’t identify with that orientation won’t identify with the message that’s being told. If he was gay the straight kids wouldn’t listen as much and if he was straight then the gay kids would stop listening. Also, selfishly, being part of Glee, I didn’t want to do another couple. That was just me. I just wanted the point of the movie to be the message not who he was sleeping with or in a way jack off to. To identify Carson’s orientation, I think he has a crush on Rachel Madow
and it confuses him.

On his new identity as a writer:
You now what I wanted to adapt so bad and I was so sad when it got snatched up, was Candyland. But that’s all right, they can have it. Things like that, for adaption it has to be really fun. Like, [the upcoming series The Little Leftover Witch] was fun and got adapted for Disney because it was about a witch and it was magic and it was friendship and it was cute and it was fun. It’s not ‘The Art of War’ or anything like that. I have such strong ADD, anytime I complete anything it’s a miracle. So, it would have to be something really fun.

On the future of Glee and the graduation episode:
I have no idea, we haven’t gotten the script yet. So, I do not know about the graduation episode. I do know that we have a really amazing NYADA episode coming up with Rachel and Kurt, they audition for the NYADA school. Whoopie plays the NYADA professor that comes out and recruits people. That’s really all I know and we’re shooting nationals next week and that’s going to be a lot of fun. I don’t want to give anything away about that.

|27 April, X
I can never hear/read that part enough, tbqh. (--also his shade at Klaine/Glee, lol.) While I agree 100% about message-above-romance I love the social experiment of letting people bring their own biases into Carson's sexuality. People who can't see past Chris' sexuality or need that reference point to identify with an outcast will code him gay, and people who buy into straight-until-proven-gay and the heterosexist society (or possibly the thought that Chris should play straight to prove he can) will code him straight. The most interesting thing to me is that no-one seems to interpret him as either asexual or bisexual-- ofc, I haven't seen the movie so maybe there's something inherently sexual about Carson (and I don't count crude sexual jokes) that discredits asexuality, but it's interesting that nobody even offered the suggestion at all when the arguments first started to arise.

Also, I saw someone correlate Carson's crush on Rachel Maddow to all the girls crushing on Chris, which is a funny and on-point observation-- and also funny is that Carson is apparently as confused about it as I've seen many girls being. Lol, just. Touché, Chris.

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/29/2012, 3:58 am

The interviewers also speaks very nicely about Chris, for example the guy who made that interview about school budget cuts and saving the Arts.
In the comments someone wrote: Chris looks so tired. Or maybe he is just that bored by the "interviewer" rambling on about his own life.

And he answered:
Actually, Chris was in interviews all day. I actually have met him before so we were just having a conversation. It wasn't that he was bored, he was exhausted due to the film premiering the night before and doing interviews since the early morning. He was really personable and fun to chat with. We talked for almost 20 minutes.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 4/29/2012, 9:58 am

Chris Colfer Goes From 'Glee' Singer To 'Struck' Screenwriter

Chris Colfer, one of the stars of the hit TV show Glee, is known for his portrayal of Kurt, a confident and openly gay high school student (who also possesses pipes like a diva). In the new film Struck By Lightning, which Colfer wrote, he plays a very different character: Carson Phillips, an ambitious high school student who starts a literary magazine in order to get into Northwestern. The character is arrogant and not exactly well-liked, so how does he collect submissions? By blackmailing the popular kids, of course.

The film is set in fictional Clover, California, a name not unlike where Colfer grew up in Clovis, a small town just outside Fresno. Colfer, who wrote the script while working 70 hours a week on Glee, says that while the film is not autobiographical, some major plot points ring true. How about that blackmail thing?

"That actually was a little close to something I might actually have done in high school," Colfer tells Weekend Edition's Guy Raz. "When I was in high school, we had this thing called the senior project where one senior was selected every year to have their own show. ... All the seniors before me always just did an SNL-like format with a bunch of skits and gags and songs, and I was the only student that ever was like, "Nope, I'm going to write a show, and we're going to do a full production.""

(Suzanne Houchin / )
Colfer says when his classmates didn't want to participate, suffering from major bouts of senioritis, he may have used a few things against them to get them into his show.

One thing Colfer doesn't have in common with Carson, however, is a little more elemental: as we learn at the beginning of the movie, Carson is dead and sees his story in flashback. Asked why that's the structure, Colfer says part of it has to do with the way people talk about the dead. "One of the biggest things I wanted to do is have a character call these people out on their fake grief and mourning. I mean, how many times are we at someone's funeral and someone speaks at the podium, and we think, 'Oh my God, they're such a liar, they never knew them like I knew them, they weren't as close as they're saying they are.' I think one of my character's lines in the movie is, 'It's amazing how popular you become once you die.' I just thought it'd be a great way to tell a story, from the perspective of being dead."

But other than that little hitch, there are things about Carson that Colfer says he envies a bit, compared to his own experiences. "I really wish I could be like that and say exactly what I meant exactly when I felt it and not really give a crap what people thought. But I was the exact opposite — I really did care a lot what people thought of me. And I was not as manipulative or as smart and conniving as he is."

On Glee, Colfer was at the center of a major bullying storyline that he says hit home in a big way. Not only was he bullied himself when he was younger, but it got so bad that he was home-schooled. "When I was in seventh grade, I was home-schooled for the second half of my seventh grade year and eighth grade year because I was really made the target of by a lot of students, and I was having my locker vandalized and my PE clothes stolen and had horrible things written on it, and my mom and my dad finally got sick of it and just home-schooled me for the rest of junior high. But then I went back to high school, and I was thrown back into the world of public schooling."

Colfer is hesitant to take credit for how much his portrayal of Kurt has resonated with gay kids especially, giving much of it to the Glee writers, but he remembers having strong feelings about what he wanted to accomplish. "I was very, very nervous about playing a gay character and I kind of went into it knowing I wanted to make him more than just the punching bag that gay characters usually are on TV—the quirky best friend with the bitchy one-liners that we see on almost every other show." For one thing, when Kurt came out to his father in a widely praised scene, he didn't want it to be all about fearlessness that might ring false. "It's the most terrifying thing kids can ever do in their life, especially at an early age, so I really just wanted to make sure there was a lot of honesty in that scene and it wasn't so forced or arrogant, but it really was just this kid who was terrified of telling his father the truth."

In the end, Colfer says, his high-pitched voice — which caused him no end of trouble with bullies at school — has turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it allows him to perform numbers like "As If We Never Said Goodbye" from Sunset Boulevard on Glee. "It's crazy," he says. "A voice that was never wanted has become a voice for so many people who don't have one."

He doesn't expect, however, that that voice will necessarily last forever. "I would love to retire by the time I'm 25," he says, "because by then I probably won't be considered relevant anymore and no one is going to care about me. And I'm very very well aware that every actor has a shelf life, and I'm just trying to squeeze in as much as I possibly can while I can."

He's on track for now: Struck By Lightning is currently playing at the Tribeca Film Festival and will open wider later this year.
Source
http://www.wbur.org/npr/151472410/chris-colfer-goes-from-glee-singer-to-struck-screenwriter
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/29/2012, 10:19 am

arina wrote:Chris Colfer Goes From 'Glee' Singer To 'Struck' Screenwriter

He doesn't expect, however, that that voice will necessarily last forever. "I would love to retire by the time I'm 25," he says, "because by then I probably won't be considered relevant anymore and no one is going to care about me. And I'm very very well aware that every actor has a shelf life, and I'm just trying to squeeze in as much as I possibly can while I can."

Oh Chris :(

His pragmatic comments sadden me. It's a realistic mindset to have, of course, but it's still depressing to know that he's so painfully aware of how fickle showbiz is.

But if I'm to be painfully honest, I can't guarantee that I'll still be stanning Chris as hard 4 years in the future as I do now. Especially if Glee comes to an end and we only get the one book and/or movie from him every year.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/29/2012, 10:21 am

Delight wrote:
Oh Chris :(

His pragmatic comments sadden me. It's a realistic mindset to have, of course, but it's still depressing to know that he's so painfully aware of how fickle showbiz is.

But if I'm to be painfully honest, I can't guarantee that I'll still be stanning Chris as hard 4 years in the future as I do now. Especially if Glee comes to an end and we only get the one book and/or movie from him every year.
Even that is optimistic.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 4/29/2012, 10:44 am

In the end, Colfer says, his high-pitched voice — which caused him no end of trouble with bullies at school — has turned out to be a blessing in disguise as it allows him to perform numbers like "As If We Never Said Goodbye" from Sunset Boulevard on Glee. "It's crazy," he says. "A voice that was never wanted has become a voice for so many people who don't have one."
I love this part, so true.
And look at all the polarizing reactions his voice gets.
Partly because of it being high pitched and people not being used to that, but also partly because it is the voice of a 'gay kid' who loves to sing female power ballads.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 4/29/2012, 11:06 am

Chris Colfer Goes From 'Glee' Singer To 'Struck' Screenwriter
inteview

It's a transcript for an All Things Considered interview. The audio should be linked later tonight according to the disclaimer at the top of the page. Smile

http://www.npr.org/blogs/monkeysee/2012/04/29/151472410/chris-colfer-goes-from-glee-singer-to-struck-screenwriter?ft=1&f=151472410#
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/29/2012, 1:37 pm

arina wrote:Chris Colfer Goes From 'Glee' Singer To 'Struck' Screenwriter
Lol, Chris! That senior citizen at heart again-- he'll need to stock up on cats if he's going that route. I'm going to assume with 'retire' he means going BTS on shows, movies, musical or theater-productions because I can't really believe anything else of him. Every other profession this kid has ever mentioned has been about showbiz (the farthest from the biz being his assertion that he would've gone for drama-teaching).

I think my stanning has been in spite of Glee for about a year now, so I'm pretty much the anti-thesis to his cynic 'not relevant, no one will care', lol.

Really looking forward to the audio of this interview. Smile

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  BlueJazz 4/29/2012, 2:21 pm

Love the new interview as we get to know about what's going on in his mind neutre The comment on retiring at 25 is quite sad but also very true and realistic. I still hope that he'll be more confident if he gets more recognition from the industry in the future, though. It's quite hard to believe a talented young man like him thinks so low of himself.

Secondly, love his comment about his unique voice. I'm so blessed for getting to know this unforgettable voice in my life wub Thanks, Chris.

BlueJazz
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/29/2012, 4:34 pm

I Love the NPR review. I listen to NPR regularly and all things considered is a very intelligent program. their interviews are not like those short clips people do on red carpet. they are lengthier and more in depth.

I am sure chris won't retire at 25 or ever. This guy is a workaholic and he's not hte kind who enjoys doing nothing. what he will likely do is retire from the screen and from pulic view, and work as writer/producer and maybe even director, with occasional acting and maybe stage work. His life will be good, and most of his fans will move on (they will still be his admirers, but just won't seek out what his doing every day like we do now). what I am happy to hear is that this kid is very grounded and knows what to expect and how to get hte most out of his life. I am also very moved when he said his voice became the voice of so many that has none. He's the single most inspirational character/actor on Glee. No matter how many gay students they will have in glee in the future, none will be as iconic and influential as Kurt Hummel.

Last edited by fantastica on 4/29/2012, 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : typo)
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sahhar 4/29/2012, 5:18 pm

fantastica wrote:I Love the NPR review. I listen to NPR regularly and all things considered is a very intelligent program. their interviews are not like those short clips people do on red carpet. they are lenthier and more in depth.

I am sure chris won't retire at 25 or ever. This guy is a workaholic and he's not hte kind who enjoys doing nothing. what he will likely do is retire from the screen and from pulic view, and work as writer/producer and maybe even director, with occasional acting and maybe stage work. His life will be good, and most of his fans will move on (they will still be his admirers, but just won't seek out what his doing every day like we do now). what I am happy to hear is that this kid is very grounded and knows what to expect and how to get hte most out of his life. I am also very moved when he said his voice became the voice of so many that has none. He's the single most inspirational character/actor on Glee. No matter how many gay students they will have in glee in the future, none will be as iconic and influential as Kurt Hummel.

Great post. But I think I teared up a bit. I'm becoming too emotional haha.

sahhar
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 4/29/2012, 6:00 pm

actually i have always wanted NPR to interview chris so finally one of my dream has come true! can't wait to hear the audio recording. 2 more hours!
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  E-ko 4/30/2012, 5:42 am

On the NPR-interview: there's a teeny, tiny spoiler-like segment for SBL in there. Just mentioning it because I had a head-desk moment over it myself-- being so fearful of spoilers, lol.

I really like Chris when he's on air. He gets giggly and breathy, for some reason, and it's really disarming and charming (one of my fave interviews is still the one from, iirc, the UK where they talk his grand-theft-auto dream and he sings DCFMA/AIATY). Also, he name-checked Spence! I've loved that story since I first heard/read it during the Live Tour, and I'm amazed and humbled that Chris remembered. Smile

Just a great, little interview, even though Chris kind of had to talk over the fact that the interviewer didn't know he never came out to his parents privately.

E-ko
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 4/30/2012, 6:45 am

E-ko wrote:On the NPR-interview: there's a teeny, tiny spoiler-like segment for SBL in there. Just mentioning it because I had a head-desk moment over it myself-- being so fearful of spoilers, lol.

I had the same experience as you. I was like-- "Whyyyyyy did they actually play an audio segment of the movie in the interview?" But, oh well. I'm sure I'll still like the movie when I watch it, minimally spoilt or not.

E-ko wrote:
Also, he name-checked Spence! I've loved that story since I first heard/read it during the Live Tour, and I'm amazed and humbled that Chris remembered. Smile

And here's the response of the Spence's mother to Chris's mention of her son in the interview. I was about to send her a message to let her know (if she isn't already aware of it), but it looks like it isn't necessary.

Chris is amazing to his fans.

Spence gets a mention on NPR

So Chris Colfer was on All Things Considered today to discuss his various talents and accomplishments and in a discussion about his remarkable and unique voice, he happens to mention Spence.

The whole interview is worth a listen. Listen to it. Then come join me in the cult of Chris Colfer admiration.

If you’re just in it for Spence, the voice discussion begins at around 6:20 (okay, I say that so you have to listen to CC sing “As If We Never Said Goodbye” because you should), and the Spence-specific moment of the chat comes up at around 7:15. It’s brief. It’s sweet. It fills my mama heart with all sorts of feelings.

And it makes my inner fangirl squee like you cannot even imagine.

source
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 3 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3