Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview

+12
Catt24
Delight
Shinra17
Divalicious
arina
Ireth
emilynna
valkeakuulas
happydays
tanita_mors
paulopf
Emile
16 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Empty Re: Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview

Post  Emile 5/26/2012, 2:00 pm

Some interior illustrations (by Brandon Dorman X) for The Land of Stories:

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Tumblr_m4n1dwFhK81rneri1o1_1280

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Tumblr_m4n1dwFhK81rneri1o2_1280

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Tumblr_m4n1dwFhK81rneri1o3_1280

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Tumblr_m4n1dwFhK81rneri1o4_1280

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Tumblr_m4n1dwFhK81rneri1o5_1280

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Tumblr_m4n1dwFhK81rneri1o6_1280
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview Empty Re: Some interior illustrations & First few pages Preview

Post  paulopf 5/26/2012, 7:12 pm

^Those are for the book? I like them!
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 5/26/2012, 8:31 pm

^Yes, for the book! But probably only the late copies...boh.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 5/28/2012, 4:06 pm

It's possible to read the first few pages of LoS on Amazon UK.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 5/28/2012, 4:51 pm

I went throw the first 5 pages (didn't want to spoil myself more when the whole book is unavailable). It's definitely a childrens book, the prose isn't to heavy and difficult to understand but I feel that the topic and messages it will give may fly over the heads of younger kids (which is a good thing for us "older" kids ). Also 440 pages is probably more like 150-200 regular book because the font looks large and pages too small to be, but that is OK as well. It's not quite J.K.Rowling, but I like it and it drowns you in to read more (especially is you are a fan of Once Upon a Time or The 10th Kingdom like I am - both feature the
Spoiler:
a lot)
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 5/28/2012, 5:25 pm

I don't know, I think I'm gonna wait for the whole thing. panik
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  happydays 5/28/2012, 5:58 pm

I'm a spoiler junkie so I read the whole thing.

I haven't read any modern fairy tales so I have no idea how they're usually written but I'm a bit confused about how the traditional/old characters and setting are gonna be combined with modern speech. I always associate fairy tales with now abandoned phrasing and "old" vibes. TLOS isn't trying to mimic that. I should've known, I just didn't know what to expect. The conversation feels like it's between two modern people, just with storied names.

Nevertheless, I liked what we got. Even though I'm not the biggest fan of fairy tales, I would watch/read/listen to anything Chris does so I'll definitely buy it.

Also, this part
Spoiler:
stung a bit because we all know that these characters are basically him :(
happydays
happydays
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  valkeakuulas 5/28/2012, 6:44 pm

I used to read a lot of children's books for work and this I would place somewhere in younger teens section. The references are really interesting because they talk about the actual fairy tales that I consider real fairytale history, although I would love and find interesting to get a messy mix between all these levels of childrens stories varying from Grimm to Disney. And that is really hard since the very original stories, such as Little Red Riding Hood is quite messed up really. Just the other month ran into a reprint from the original picture story book and that was some crazy stuff to read and watch.

I found the prologue very traditional, but have never seen the Snow Whites stepmother have this much description in a story book before. (Not seen the new movie either.) How to explain true evil to children is difficult. Based on the first 17 pages I would read further on. And we do not even get fully introduced to our main characters in these few pages, so a lot to be exited about. On a personal note I'm so happy that we get to enjoy Chris' talents this way...well everyone around the world who can basic english and there are a lot of them.
valkeakuulas
valkeakuulas
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  emilynna 5/28/2012, 7:34 pm

I got a question
Spoiler:
emilynna
emilynna
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 5/28/2012, 7:54 pm

I don't really mind spoilers, but I will refrain from reading, though not from reading people's opinions about it, because if I start, I won't be able to control my impatience til it comes out. i've seen a couple of quotes going around in tumblr, and they are good.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/28/2012, 11:21 pm

paulopf wrote:I don't really mind spoilers, but I will refrain from reading, though not from reading people's opinions about it, because if I start, I won't be able to control my impatience til it comes out. i've seen a couple of quotes going around in tumblr, and they are good.

I really admire your self-control. Reading the preview was the first thing I did when I woke up, even before getting out of bed. Smile

To talk about it in a very general way-it's fascinating and makes me want to read more. It isn't extremely polished, but it's very good. Definitely both for younger kids and older people.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/29/2012, 1:01 am

I haven't read it yet but I don't know how long I am able to wait :-D

I saw that some quote has caused already fights on tumblr. If fandom is going to do the same with every quote, we have a lot to look forward to.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Divalicious 5/29/2012, 2:03 am

I have the book already ordered, as well as the audio. I think I might actually listen to the audio first, or along with the book just to get what Chris really means. I have never bought an audio book, but I don't think authors do them a lot, isn't it usually actors? Anyway, since Chris is the author, and an actor, I think he will bring a his vision to his telling of the tale. I think that is how I first want to experience the book.

Divalicious
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 5/29/2012, 4:39 am

arina wrote:I haven't read it yet but I don't know how long I am able to wait :-D

I saw that some quote has caused already fights on tumblr. If fandom is going to do the same with every quote, we have a lot to look forward to.

What quote? I can't think of anything in there that could cause fights. This is Chris' awesome book after all, not Glee... coool

Divalicious, your idea of listening to the audio book first/while reading sounds cool. Because Chris knows exactly how it's supposed to be read out seeing as he wrote it Smile.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 5/29/2012, 5:41 am

I don't want to read the preview, because I know that if I like it I will not know what to do with myself until the book comes out (and I didn't pre-order it or anything), and if I don't like it I will not know what to do with myself because I'd like to read the other pages for a better impression.

So I'm here, out of everywhere where I can read even the smallest piece of a quote. LOL.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 5/29/2012, 6:15 am

Ireth wrote:What quote? I can't think of anything in there that could cause fights. This is Chris' awesome book after all, not Glee... coool
This one :
Spoiler:

I've read the preview, mostly for checking the english level. There is no risk for me to get addicted and be in a "can't wait" or "don't know what to do with myself" state until the book come out, I tire quickly when I read in english lol phr34r

Spoiler:
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 5/29/2012, 8:36 am

For those of you who wants to read the omitted pages on the Amazon website, some kind soul had posted the scanned pages on tumblr:

Link

Here are some of my thoughts. I'll try to avoid being too spoiler-ish here:

The prologue looks interesting. I imagine that the reader would be shown a POV that is usually neglected in fairy tales.

It's hard to form any opinions about the main characters at this point, as we've only been shown a brief introduction so far. I thought one of the twins speaks with words that are a bit too impressive for someone that age. I'm wondering if the precocious nature that is being depicted is something that Chris is drawing from his own life.

Anyway, I heard through the grapevine that the good stuff doesn't come until one-seventh into the novel, so I'll refrain from saying more until I get my copy of TLOS.
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/29/2012, 9:29 am

Delight wrote:For those of you who wants to read the omitted pages on the Amazon website, some kind soul had posted the scanned pages on tumblr:

Link

Here are some of my thoughts. I'll try to avoid being too spoiler-ish here:

The prologue looks interesting. I imagine that the reader would be shown a POV that is usually neglected in fairy tales.

It's hard to form any opinions about the main characters at this point, as we've only been shown a brief introduction so far. I thought one of the twins speaks with words that are a bit too impressive for someone that age. I'm wondering if the precocious nature that is being depicted is something that Chris is drawing from his own life.

Anyway, I heard through the grapevine that the good stuff doesn't come until one-seventh into the novel, so I'll refrain from saying more until I get my copy of TLOS.
That was my impression too and the class seemed kind of hard for such young kids. But other than that I think it seems promising, especially for first book of someone.

I really hope people will buy it.
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Catt24 5/29/2012, 12:17 pm

I am truly excited for Chris even though this book is geared for young children, and given my age. But I fell for Harry Potter, so I have no doubt that I 'll love LoS. However, I am not going to read the preview so I can be surprised when I do read it over the summer :-)

Catt24
Baby Penguin
Baby Penguin

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/29/2012, 1:10 pm

Usually I like the dark version of fairy tales or if you prefer the original ones who were toned down later, but I'm currently reading the preview of LoS and I'm liking it because Chris is telling us the aftermath after the "happily ever after" so that make it more interesting.

You know, read the first pages remind me the first time I read Harry Potter some years ago. I'm just like a child expecting to eat more candies, well chocolate in my case Razz

Spoiler:

Spoiler:

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 5/29/2012, 2:04 pm

brisallie wrote:
Spoiler:

Spoiler:

GA was very funny yesterday, she spent last few montsh telling people that Chris's book will suck and that she won't buy it and now she read the preview and says how disappointed she is, that she expected something much better. How the hell can she be so bipolar???
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  paulopf 5/29/2012, 2:29 pm

I'm not sure I understand the fuss around the quote. I haven't read the preview and I'm not planning to, as I've said before, cause although I don't mind spoilers (I love them), it'd make me too impatient. Nevertheless, even out of context, I think it's a very good quote. It's powerful and prompts readers to think. Personally, it speaks to me of how official stories, even if biased or plainly mistaken, are the ones accepted and spread, without giving anyone the opportunity to also get other perspectives of said stories. Equally, it speaks to me of the world not being black and white, simplification which is very comfortable to rely on.
paulopf
paulopf
Porcelain
Porcelain

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 5/29/2012, 2:47 pm

The fuss is from people who don't understand that "villain" is a role and not the definition of a person, everyone can be a villain for someone else who has opposite interests. Boring.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 5/29/2012, 3:01 pm

arina wrote:

GA was very funny yesterday, she spent last few montsh telling people that Chris's book will suck and that she won't buy it and now she read the preview and says how disappointed she is, that she expected something much better. How the hell can she be so bipolar???

Oh My she's back again? blinkk GA needs therapy!!! Her obsession is so unhealthy and as you have said bipolar!

And @Arina, going back to the quote that's making a fuss lol, I think the context should be read first to understand it better, possibly is not 100% Chris opinion but it fits to the SL or the character that's saying that.

Shinra17 wrote:The fuss is from people who don't understand that "villain" is a role and not the definition of a person, everyone can be a villain for someone else who has opposite interests. Boring.

Isn't antagonist the right word? I think is the character which represent the opposite in terms of personality and ideas than the main lead have;even the main lead could be a villain and his antagonist the "heroe" or the good one.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 5/29/2012, 3:25 pm

^ yep, the main antagonist hold the role of the villain but it's only a role, think about the villains in a Miyazaki movie, they can switch board depending on their interests regarding the "heroe".
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next