Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Tumblr for Dummies

+2
ColferInspired
sheny
6 posters

Go down

Tumblr for Dummies Empty Tumblr stuff

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 1:36 am

ColferInspired wrote:I get no anons, but I am following Lottie when she popped up on my dashboard last night. She must have reblogged something or blogged something.

Do you activate your ask on your blog or does is it just meant to have appeared?

I have no idea how to customise my blog, so I don't have an ask box and can't add things to it. :( 

I would love to know how to add pics and other things, or how to create and add my own theme.
If you want to activate your askbox you have to click on "Blog Settings." The button is on the top of your dashboard. 

Tumblr for Dummies 629px-Enable-the-Ask-Feature-in-Tumblr-Step-3

When you click there you will see your account settings. There are also Dashboard Setting, Email, Apps and your blog name.

Tumblr for Dummies Untitl10

Click on your name, it's right under Apps but I deleted mine from the picture, scroll down and you will see this

Tumblr for Dummies 528px-Enable-the-Ask-Feature-in-Tumblr-Step-4

You can choose if you want to receive messages from anons or not. My anon is off because I don't want to deal with hate.

Then click save and you are ready.

I can tell you what I know about customizing themes, adding pictures, video and other stuff too later if you want.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Tumblr for Dummies Empty Re: Tumblr for Dummies

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 2:08 am

Glorfindel wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:I have no idea how to customise my blog, so I don't have an ask box and can't add things to it. :( 

I would love to know how to add pics and other things, or how to create and add my own theme.
There are many things I don't understand about tumblr (yet) either. Like: if you 'like' a comment on a post, do you then 'like' that comment or do you 'like' the original post (which could have an opposite opinion)? saispa 

Maybe we can start a tumblr help thread here on this forum, in the Gathering Place?
Everyone who thinks this is a good idea show hands. koukou
I think you like the original post but with that comment somebody else made. It's impossible to like only a comment.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/14/2013, 2:36 am

sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:I get no anons, but I am following Lottie when she popped up on my dashboard last night. She must have reblogged something or blogged something.

Do you activate your ask on your blog or does is it just meant to have appeared?

I have no idea how to customise my blog, so I don't have an ask box and can't add things to it. :( 

If you want to activate your askbox you have to click on "Blog Settings." The button is on the top of your dashboard. 

Tumblr for Dummies 629px-Enable-the-Ask-Feature-in-Tumblr-Step-3

When you click there you will see your account settings. There are also Dashboard Setting, Email, Apps and your blog name.

Click on your name, it's right under Apps but I deleted mine from the picture, scroll down and you will see this

Tumblr for Dummies 528px-Enable-the-Ask-Feature-in-Tumblr-Step-4

You can choose if you want to receive messages from anons or not. My anon is off because I don't want to deal with hate.

Then click save and you are ready.

I can tell you what I know about customizing themes, adding pictures, video and other stuff too later if you want.
 That would be a great help thanks.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 2:54 am

ColferInspired wrote:
You're welcome. If you have other questions just ask. I'll do my best to help.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/14/2013, 3:00 am

sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
 I would like to know how to customise my own theme or add pics and videos. neutre
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 3:07 am

ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
 I would like to know how to customise my own theme or add pics and videos. neutre
Are we talking about creating your own theme because that's very difficult, you have to know a lot about html and css if you want good results or installing a theme that already made by somebody?

If it's the first option I'm pretty useless because I don't know anything about programming. If it's the second I can recommend a few blogs that offer great free themes and help with the installing and the settings.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/14/2013, 3:25 am

sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
Are we talking about creating your own theme because that's very difficult, you have to know a lot about html, css and programming if you want good results or installing a theme that already made by somebody?
 Well, I did install someones elses theme.

And I guessed you would have know about programming which I know nothing. So, maybe not.

But adding pics and video's I would love to know how to do. neutre
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 4:07 am

ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
Are we talking about creating your own theme because that's very difficult, you have to know a lot about html, css and programming if you want good results or installing a theme that already made by somebody?

And I guessed you would have know about programming which I know nothing. So, maybe not.

You have to click on the last one on the right to add a video file.

Tumblr for Dummies Untitl11

In the first box you just copy and paste the url of the video you want to post if its from YouTube, Dailymotion and other sites like that or an embded code. That's easy. Uploading your own videos is more problematic. For that click on the second box and browse it from your computer. There are length, size and format limitations. You can only upload .mp4 format videos, they shouldn't be bigger that 100mb and only 5 min long videos for one day. When it's uploaded click publish and it'll start processing the file. It takes 1-2 minutes sometimes more.

It's the same with audio files. They should be only .mp3 format and no bigger than 10 MB.

Adding pictures for photo and gif sets is easier. Just click on Photo from the toolbar. There is no limit for the size of the pictures, but the gifs shouldn't be bigger than 1 MB for 500px gifs and 2 MB for smaller ones. There can be only 10 pictures/gifs in 1 set.

You can also add pictures from other sites pasting their url in this little box so you don't have to download it and upload it again on Tumblr. It saves time.

I hope this explanation wasn't totally useless and answers your question. I'm sorry I can't help with the theme. Here are some base theme codes you can work on with a good tutorial codes.

Last edited by sheny on 8/14/2013, 5:12 am; edited 1 time in total

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Tumblr for Dummies Empty Tumblr for Dummies

Post  Glorfindel 8/14/2013, 4:15 am

After this came up in another thread I think it's wise to set up a seperate thread about how to use and navigate tumblr.
I just started a tumblr and sure have not figured out everything yet. unsure 

So....ask away! bounce
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/14/2013, 4:17 am

I just created a tumblr thread in the Gathering Place. As I would like to be able to look these tumblr tips up again whenever I want, I would like to ask everyone to take the rest of the questions and answers there. Here's the link.

And I would kindly like to ask one of the mods to move the above posts to that thread, please? cvece
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 8/14/2013, 5:02 am

sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:
ColferInspired wrote:
sheny wrote:

You have to click on the last one on the right to add a video file.

In the first box you just copy and paste the url of the video you want to post if its from YouTube, Dailymotion and other sites like that or an embded code. That's easy. Uploading your own videos is more problematic. For that click on the second box and browse it from your computer. There are length, size and format limitations. You can only upload .mp4 format videos, they shouldn't be bigger that 100mb and only 5 min long videos for one day. When it's uploaded click publish and it'll start processing the file. It takes 1-2 minutes sometimes more.

It's the same with audio files. They should be only .mp3 format and no bigger than 10 MB.

Adding pictures for photo and gif sets is easier. Just click on Photo from the toolbar. There is no limit for the size of the pictures, but the gifs shouldn't be bigger than 1 MB for 500px gifs and 2 MB for smaller ones. There can be only 10 pictures/gifs in 1 set.

You can also add pictures from other sites pasting their url in this little box so you don't have to download it and upload it again on Tumblr. It saves time.
[img]https://i.servimg.com/u/f71/17/50/19/61/untitl11.png[/img

I hope this explanation wasn't totally useless and answers your question. I'm sorry I can't help with the theme. Here are some base theme codes you can work on with a good tutorial codes.
 Thank you so much. You have been a big help. bisou 

I will look at the tutorial for the codes as well.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/14/2013, 8:16 am

Is there a limit on the amount of mp3's and/or videos you can embed in one post?
Same with links. Does anyone know how many links you can put in one post?
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 9:02 am

Glorfindel wrote:Is there a limit on the amount of mp3's and/or videos you can embed in one post?
Same with links. Does anyone know how many links you can put in one post?
Each post can have only one video, audio or link.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/14/2013, 9:06 am

^Thanks.

Ooo, this will complicate my song review making, as I usually put in a lot of videos and links (e.g. original and Glee version). That also means I will have to revise all of the older reviews instead of just simply copying them.

Darn. dryy
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  sheny 8/14/2013, 9:23 am

Glorfindel wrote:^Thanks.

Ooo, this will complicate my song review making, as I usually put in a lot of videos and links (e.g. original and Glee version). That also means I will have to revise all of the older reviews instead of just simply copying them.

Darn. dryy
I obviously didn't understand the question about the links correctly. There is "Links" button in the toolbar where you can copy only one link but you probably won't need that for the reviews. There is a way to add links to audio or video files. After the video/audio is uploaded a description box shows up under it where you can write texts and copy the links to your other videos and pages.

sheny
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/14/2013, 9:56 am

sheny wrote:I obviously didn't understand the question about the links correctly. There is "Links" button in the toolbar where you can copy only one link but you probably won't need that for the reviews. There is a way to add links to audio or video files. After the video/audio is uploaded a description box shows up under it where you can write texts and copy the links to your other videos and pages.
Thanks! neutre   I'll try that then.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColdFlame96 8/26/2013, 11:58 pm

How do you make the picture on your profile that's above the description box different from your icon?
ColdFlame96
ColdFlame96
Bruce
Bruce

http://waitformethistime.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 8/28/2013, 9:30 am

I have to share it, even though I don't believe anyone will find this interssting. I find posts like this funny: http://hypable.tumblr.com/post/58346006519/hypable-wants-you

I am currently working Sales & Online Marketing and a designed logo costs a LOT of money. At least € 500,00 and it can even increase much higher. But they are clever, ask their audience and give away an amazon gift card for $25,00. I am somehow impressed, but also very amused.
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 8/28/2013, 11:57 am

This might come in handy:

Text tricks.

(sup) makes words go like thi[sup]ii[sup]ii[sup]s.[/sup][/sup]

(sub) makes them do thi[sub]ii[sub]ii[sub]s.[/sub][/sub]

(small) makes words go little. The more (small) you have the smaller the word.

Same thing applies with (big).

(u) makes underlines.

Go here for Full  Width.

̛̰̖̲̰͑ͨ͒̌͑̍̿̈͘Z̨̜̲̥̯̮̭͍̳ͧͣ͋̊̋͗Ȁ̪̼̠͎͒ͨ́̚͘͢͞L̸͉̬̻͌̒͑̊̽͡Ğ̝̮̝̗̲ͧ͝Ȍ͍̪̪̖͕̟͈̝̰̆͋̾̀ is found here.

Go here if you want some uʍop əpısdn.

Note: replace the ( ) with < >!

_______
Of course these are just basic things.  You can also look at the HTML button for the codes if youre not up for searching through Google for them.
The button is here:
Tumblr for Dummies Tumblr_mdvij7pdYi1r46ls2[/sub][/sup]
x

-ETA-
Some of these tricks work on tumblr but not on this board, so visit the source for a better example.
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 9/11/2013, 12:09 pm

Question: can I check my "ask submission" history?
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Tumblr for Dummies Empty Tumblr For Old People

Post  Vir Cotto 9/18/2013, 11:37 pm

I just got a tumblr account. If anyone would like to look at my page and offer advice, I'd appreciate it.

http://srelar.tumblr.com
Vir Cotto
Vir Cotto
Llama
Llama

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 10/2/2013, 8:20 am

Help?

I know it should be possible to add links to sources at the bottom of a post, but I don't know how to do it?
For some reasong the link tool drawing 'thingie' isn't activated when I make a post, so I can't link. saispa 

Can someone help me with this, as I need it for my reviews. No
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down