Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes

+2
fantastica
Emile
6 posters

Go down

Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes Empty Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes

Post  Emile 3/19/2012, 2:00 pm

Uhm, don't know if it is new...seems so.
Anyway:
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes
Not only does Glee’s Chris Colfer star in Struck By Lightning, a dramedy about a doomed teen, he also wrote the screenplay. Bravo!

TRIBECA: Tell us a little about STRUCK BY LIGHTNING. How do you describe the movie in your own words?

CHRIS COLFER: I would say STRUCK BY LIGHTNING is a very honest, dark comedy. It’s set in a simple environment, but carries a very important message.

TRIBECA: As the writer (and lead actor), what inspired you to tell this story?

CHRIS COLFER: Many films targeted toward the teen audience these days are all about partying and promiscuity. I wanted to tell a story about a teen with aspirations, whose energy and focus is all dedicated to his life after high school, and not the typical quest for popularity. Carson isn’t after anyone’s approval, and not an ounce of him is living in the present; he’s all about setting himself up for the future.

TRIBECA: What was high school like for you?

CHRIS COLFER: It was rough. I was a major over-achiever, in my own right, except no one ever cared about the things I did. People wondered why I was so busy all the time, because the payoff wasn’t clear to them. I never really meshed well with the other students, even with the “lower class” cliques in the performing arts department. But unlike Carson, I cared what people thought about me. Carson is kind of guy who I wish I had been in high school; he actually says the things I always internalized.

TRIBECA: I’m not giving anything away by saying that your character Carson dies in the very first scene. What led you to make that decision in your script? Did anyone pressure you to consider other endings?

CHRIS COLFER: I wanted to tell a story from the point of view of the person who dies, because I wanted him to look at the people dramatically mourning his death and say, “You’re full of it, we weren’t friends.” It’s kind of the point of the whole movie, so I was never encouraged to explore alternative paths. And I guess that’s the beauty of independent film; you can mostly do what you want.

TRIBECA: Various characters—Carson, Allison Janney’s character Sheryl—go through some pretty heavy story arcs. What do you want audiences to take away from the film?

CHRIS COLFER: I hope the takeaway is that life is much better when you have something to live for. Every character is on their own journey and learns from each other. Carson and Sheryl’s relationship is very unique; she’s stuck in the past and he’s in a constant daydream of the future. If anything, maybe it’ll get viewers to take a look at their own journeys.

TRIBECA: What’s the craziest thing (or “lightning strikes” moment) that happened during production?

CHRIS COLFER: Easy: Rebel Wilson! She was cast the night before she started shooting, and what a miracle it was. We were in such a limbo with Malerie, not knowing which direction to take the character in, and now I can’t imagine the movie without her. She’s brilliant!

TRIBECA: From your perspective as an award-winning actor, what do you think makes a good director?

CHRIS COLFER: I feel like a good director should be willing to work with an actor. There’s nothing worse than being treated like a puppet. I love it when we can discover a scene together. It was so great and fulfilling that Brian [Dannelly] and I saw pretty much everything eye to eye, especially since I was so close to the material. There were moments when we would walk up to each other on set and say, “I’m just pretending to be giving you a note to look official, but what you’re doing is perfect.”

TRIBECA: What are you most looking forward to at Tribeca?

CHRIS COLFER: Watching the movie with a real audience, not one made up of your friends and family. I want to hear and feel the honest reactions to it.

TRIBECA: If you could have dinner with any filmmaker (alive or dead), who would it be?

CHRIS COLFER: I would have to say Tim Burton. I’m kind of a living Tim Burton character anyway.

TRIBECA: What’s your favorite New York movie?

CHRIS COLFER: I’m going to say WHEN HARRY MET SALLY. I loved watching it as a kid for some reason. It was the first time I actually saw New York.

TRIBECA: What would your biopic be called?

CHRIS COLFER: Whatever it takes to attract Meryl Streep to the leading role.

TRIBECA: What makes STRUCK BY LIGHTNING a Tribeca must-see?

CHRIS COLFER: I’m kind of biased, but I think that STRUCK BY LIGHTNING is the type of movie that really makes you feel. It’s funny, it’s sad, it’s original, and I hope people connect with it… and that it inspires them to wear rubber-soled shoes.

March, 19 -
Tribeca Film
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Aaaaaand, the screening dates at Tribeca:

Saturday, April 21st, 6:00PM - BMCC Tribeca PAC

Monday, April 23rd, 9:30PM - SVA Theater 1 Silas

Friday, April 27th, 5:30PM - SVA Theater 2 Beatrice

Sunday, April 29th, 6:00PM - SVA Theater 1 Silas

Tribeca Film
-------
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes Empty Re: Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes

Post  fantastica 3/19/2012, 2:48 pm

Thats a great interview. I think we will see more promotional stuff done by cc, Brian and main cast. I'm glad there r 4 showings, giving me more hope that there will stol b tickets left by April 10. Super excited! Btw hes right about Indies allowing him complete creative freedom. A mjor film studio would never make a teen comedy that kills the leading man. They would find his script too unusual for mass audience. I hope this movie will prove them completely wrong.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes Empty Re: Good Advice: Wear Rubber-Soled Shoes

Post  arina 3/19/2012, 2:53 pm

Amazing interview!
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/19/2012, 3:03 pm

Interesting to hear Chris himself thinks hes a living Tim Burton character. I always know he would be perfect in a Tb movie, because hes unique and quirky w a dark streak. I just wish he didn't screw up this chance in a Tb movie by screaming at Helena b Carter at last years GG.

Last edited by fantastica on 3/19/2012, 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Shinra17 3/19/2012, 3:50 pm

Emile wrote:CHRIS COLFER: I feel like a good director should be willing to work with an actor. There’s nothing worse than being treated like a puppet. I love it when we can discover a scene together.
A director who doesn't discuss with the actors is just wasting them, well at least with the actors who are creative and commited to the story.

fantastica wrote:Interesting to hear Chris himself shingle hes a living Tim Burton character. I always know he would be perfect in a Tb movie, because hes unique and quirky w a dark streak. I just wish he didn't screw up this chance in a Tb movie by screaming at Helena b Carter at last years GG.
It's something a TB character would do lol.
Shinra17
Shinra17
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Emile 3/19/2012, 4:03 pm

Shinra17 wrote:
fantastica wrote:Interesting to hear Chris himself shingle hes a living Tim Burton character. I always know he would be perfect in a Tb movie, because hes unique and quirky w a dark streak. I just wish he didn't screw up this chance in a Tb movie by screaming at Helena b Carter at last years GG.
It's something a TB character would do lol.
Helena (haha she's my friend, I call her only Helena tsk) is so eccentric that she probably has appreciated it.
Emile
Emile
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/19/2012, 4:48 pm

too bad Tim Burton hasn't made a really good movie in awhile. Chris should be in it only if it's a good movie.

that alice in wonderland movie sucked. part of it maybe the 3D glasses I wore that gave me a major headache.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Ireth 3/19/2012, 8:32 pm

That's a great interview Smile And I can see Chris in something like Corpse Bride very easily.
Ireth
Ireth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/19/2012, 8:40 pm

^ I do like Corps Bride. I always like tim burton's animated stuff better. and he loves doing musicals. I hope Chris can be in one of his future musicals.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 3/19/2012, 10:22 pm

fantastica wrote:^ I do like Corps Bride. I always like tim burton's animated stuff better. and he loves doing musicals. I hope Chris can be in one of his future musicals.

I know that everybody is crazy about Jack- you know the character from 1993, I forgot the name of the movie in both english and spanish :O lol - but I'm not, actually I'd rather this one and Chris could be a good Victor (Sorry Johnny! )

PS: I realized that I always confused the name of the character of Rebel Wilson, in my mind is Mallory but is Malerie... right?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/19/2012, 10:35 pm

^ I think so. neutre
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 3/20/2012, 3:58 am

I have read the interview for several times now, I really love it. It's probably the first interview where isn't any question about Glee... It´s very insightful interview. I love the way he described relationship of Carson and his mother "Carson and Sheryl’s relationship is very unique; she’s stuck in the past and he’s in a constant daydream of the future", their scenes are one of those I am looking forward the most. And I love his describtion of a good director... The more I read about the movie, the more I am excited. It's true that teen movies are about the same topic over and over again most the time, it will be very refreshing to see finally something different. I really hope it will be accepted positively and not just by fans...
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum