Chris Colfer Fan Forum
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

News and Tweets about Chris's second movie

+16
bayth
ColferInspired
tanita_mors
Adamina
valkeakuulas
Glorfindel
ChrisColferFan1
sheny
MoviesAreLife
Delight
fantastica
ColferGirl
brisallie
sahhar
dap1217
Emile
20 posters

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Go down

News and Tweets about Chris's second movie - Page 2 Empty Re: News and Tweets about Chris's second movie

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/20/2013, 8:46 pm

brisallie wrote:When Chris mentioned his film was based on a Carl Jung's quote, I searched on google all of his quotes, trying to find out the one who could fit more to the storyline.

"A Light in the Darkness", maybe? Who knows. There are so many possibilities. I just love your ideas, though.

"A Measure of Darkness"...utterly perfect. Dark, and brooding.

"A Still, Small Voice"....creepy as hell, if you think about a crazy person who hears voices in their head or something like that.

"Who Looks Inside"...poses an interesting question to all of us.

"Awakes"...not bad, but "Awake" has already been used for a film title.

All of these are good. But I'm between "Who Looks Inside" and "A Measure of Darkness",for me the word 'darkness" indicates there's something creepy in the story. However , "A Light in the Darkness", it sounds like an inspirational movie to me.

Haha! It does, doesn't it? Oops! blushh When I wrote that, I was thinking of a painting that uses strong use of tenebrism, a technique that uses stark constrast between light and dark and is both beautiful and unsettling all at once.

Like this: http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_8_ENa7sVpug/TIw2mG7cW0I/AAAAAAAAPAw/eZOAy0p5PC4/s1600/Cecco_del_Caravaggio_Joven_con_instrumentos_musicales_NG_Atenas+2.jpg

or this: http://www.moviezeal.com/wp-content/uploads/noirarticle03.jpg

There is an elevated sense of danger and tension in these paintings. I pictured some creep (Chris' character) doing something twisted behind a door when I thought of the title, and I got this image in my mind that kind of creeped me out but also interested me: http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3242/3088752890_29d8afcf3e_z.jpg

I believe they used this sort of shot in a (crappy) horror movie called "Hide and Seek" a while ago. But it gives you a sense of "Don't go to that door!" XD

But yes, it does sound like a feel good, Christian movie or something! Laughing

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

News and Tweets about Chris's second movie - Page 2 Empty Re: News and Tweets about Chris's second movie

Post  tanita_mors 3/20/2013, 9:26 pm

A Still, Small Voice - generally refers to ones conscience or sense of self or in a theological sense to God. The title could be "That Still Small Voice" but there is an episode of Once Upon A Time with the same title.

I rather like A Measure of Darkness. It has quite a resonance to it. It reminds me of A Dangerous Method - a movie about Carl Yang.

We still don't know the general premise of the movie, because the fact it happens in a sanatorium is just the setting. I doesn't tell us what it's really about and the title would reflect that. It's probably heavy on psycho-analisys and potential treatments for certain mental illnesses. The question is, given that it's set in the 1920's, how serious these mental illnesses are comparable to today and what they can be diagnosed as. Many that were once considered a form of mental illness are no longer today, because of advances in medicine.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 3/20/2013, 9:47 pm

I am so happy and relieved that Chris will be doing his new movie. News and Tweets about Chris's second movie - Page 2 650269930

The things that we know so far, it that Chris's character could be a serial killer as he said this a few times in a couple of interviews.

It is R-rated, so this will definitely remove him as just someone that just plays teenagers, as I am assuming his character could be older.

It is a psychological thriller, Chris has said this.

The Doctor is the lead character, but Chris has an important supporting role.
And it's set in the 1930's.

I am hoping this is the role that helps him to break away from Glee and any stereotypes completely, as I think this role will show the movie and TV industry what Chris can really do.

Carson was great, but Chris was still playing a teenager.
I am so excited. News and Tweets about Chris's second movie - Page 2 3933776953
I can't wait to see him play insane.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/21/2013, 12:20 am

we don't know if it's r rated until it's filmed and submit for review by the Motion Picture Whatever-it's-called (that agency that signs ratings to all movies). but usually film makers have an idea as to what they are aiming for.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 3/21/2013, 1:41 am

MoviesAreLife wrote:

But yes, it does sound like a feel good, Christian movie or something! Laughing

Exactly! Is like those Christian movies in which someone tell you that when you find God, you won't be in the darkness anymore. Or any movie that it helps your spirit.

I like all the paintings you posted, but this one is the scariest for me http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3242/3088752890_29d8afcf3e_z.jpg , it seems there's something behind those doors, something that you don't want to see because it might kill you.

brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

http://CalmaInestable.tumblr.com

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/21/2013, 10:33 am

tanita_mors wrote:A Still, Small Voice - generally refers to ones conscience or sense of self or in a theological sense to God. The title could be "That Still Small Voice" but there is an episode of Once Upon A Time with the same title.

I rather like A Measure of Darkness. It has quite a resonance to it. It reminds me of A Dangerous Method - a movie about Carl Yang.

We still don't know the general premise of the movie, because the fact it happens in a sanatorium is just the setting. I doesn't tell us what it's really about and the title would reflect that. It's probably heavy on psycho-analisys and potential treatments for certain mental illnesses. The question is, given that it's set in the 1920's, how serious these mental illnesses are comparable to today and what they can be diagnosed as. Many that were once considered a form of mental illness are no longer today, because of advances in medicine.

And Sigmund Freud. And it had Keira Knightley as the lead actress. It had all the makings of a great film, but I just didn't like it. No

I am so excited to see Chris play someone who is insane...to really stretch those acting muscles. And to know that he wrote this dark script when he said multiple times that it was going to be R rated? Perfect! This is as far from Glee/Kurt Hummel as you can get!

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/21/2013, 10:41 am

fantastica wrote:we don't know if it's r rated until it's filmed and submit for review by the Motion Picture Whatever-it's-called (that agency that signs ratings to all movies). but usually film makers have an idea as to what they are aiming for.

MPAA=Motion Picture Association of America. Smile There is this really interesting documentary about the double standards within the ratings system (such as between gay sex scenes and straight sex scenes). It's called "This Film is not yet Rated".

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 3/21/2013, 12:22 pm

aaah, thanks! i forgot for a second that movies are your life. Smile
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  MoviesAreLife 3/21/2013, 12:32 pm

fantastica wrote:aaah, thanks! i forgot for a second that movies are your life. Smile

*gasp!* How could you?! Wink

MoviesAreLife
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 11/23/2013, 6:19 pm

Looks like maybe Chris has decided to use the story for a play instead of a movie:

News and Tweets about Chris's second movie - Page 2 Chrisc10
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/23/2013, 7:57 pm

bayth wrote:Looks like maybe Chris has decided to use the story for a play instead of a movie:

News and Tweets about Chris's second movie - Page 2 Chrisc10
What? Why does he changed his plans?
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 11/24/2013, 12:48 am

Play is good! It writes off another of Chris bucket list; playwright.

Besides plays are eventually made into movies...Smile 
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 11/24/2013, 1:19 am

Maybe he couldn't find a studio that didn't want to change things in his screenplay?
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  arina 11/24/2013, 1:38 am

Kinda sorry to hear that, I was really excited to see Chris in this kind of role and even if he was part of the play there is no way I could see him. :( 
arina
arina
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/24/2013, 9:01 am

^I'm pretty sure that if it will become a play someone will film it and put in on youtube. neutre 
Probably some fans will try to tape parts of it. Or maybe even someone in Chris' management themselves, just like AVPM, to promote it.

I don't know the ins and outs of showbizz, but to me turning this into a play seems like a smart idea.
If Chris couldn't get the asylum screenscript made into a movie (didn't he say once about SBL that getting a screenscript into a movie is a small miracle?) then a play is a clever, and probably cheaper alternative. It could start in a small theater, and if it's any good (and so far Chris' other projects were good and made a decent profit) word will go out in the industry and maybe they'd be interested in making it a movie after all.

Plus, come on..... Chris Colfer: actor, singer, script writer, movie producer, author, and play writer? At the age of 23? Gotta admit, that last part adds some extra panache to it all. Smile
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Glorfindel 11/24/2013, 6:40 pm

chris talks about the asylum play starting at 4:05
me: hi!
chris: hi there, how are you? good to see you!
me: (me freaking out so, like an idiot, i don’t say all the stuff i want and i shake his hand and then quickly sputter out) uhm, i’m curious, are you still coming to louisiana to film your asylum movie, or is that like…
chris:not any time soon. i’ve been thinking more about turning that into a play! so we’ll see!
me:(freaking out) oh! that would be cool! thank you so much! it was great meeting you!
chris: you too, you too!
x (there's more at the source about meeting Chris, but nothing relevant)
Glorfindel
Glorfindel
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  ColferInspired 11/24/2013, 8:19 pm

I remember during the Q & A at the SBL Premiere France he was asked about the movie and that he hadn't found a studio as they wanted to make changes to his screenplay, one being he wrote a role that would usually be played by a female, but I don't think Chris wanted a female to play it.

Chris got lucky with SBL, that others saw his vision and didn't want to makes changes. It seems this time around studios wanted to do it their way and not how Chris wanted it.
ColferInspired
ColferInspired
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Delight 11/25/2013, 10:05 am

arina wrote:Kinda sorry to hear that, I was really excited to see Chris in this kind of role and even if he was part of the play there is no way I could see him. :( 
Sigh... Same thoughts here. There's more chance of me getting to watch this project of Chris's if it's in the form of a film instead of a play. Ah well, I shall cheer him from the sidelines and wish him success in getting this project off the ground, regardless of what form it'll take.

If the reason that the film didn't come to be is because Chris wanted to ensure that the screenplay remains true to his original vision, then I have only admiration for him. neutre
Delight
Delight
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  brisallie 11/25/2013, 12:48 pm

I've bittersweet feelings. By one side I really wanted to see this asylum film, but by other side I understand if Chris want his script remains as original as possible, and don't want companies to change any detail. So in that case, I support him. Besides, adding playwriter to his resume, is great.
brisallie
brisallie
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  tanita_mors 11/25/2013, 1:04 pm

frankly, i think this is a healthy dose of reality. chris has been extremely lucky so far. it takes a lot of work, belief and financial backing to go from a script to a finished product, be it a movie or a play. and not all his ideas will always get full support. at the end of the day, who knows, something extraordinary may come out of this situation.
tanita_mors
tanita_mors
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  fantastica 11/25/2013, 1:34 pm

i am pretty sure most scripts got re-written. then after the filming they will do screenings and more rewrites and pickups etc. there's a reason many big studio movies are bland and formulaic - they need to please a big chunk of the mass so quirkiness has to be out the door.
fantastica
fantastica
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  bayth 11/25/2013, 1:52 pm

I wonder if Chris has ever thought of raising money himself for the project. I know that there was a movie that was done this way - where the fans raised money to get a movie made. I know there is a lot of support out there for Chris and his endeavors. I would send in some money to help get it made neutre 
bayth
bayth
Bruce
Bruce

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 11/25/2013, 2:05 pm

Chris mentioned once there is no time pressure, as his part of the movie doesn't have a set age. SBL was more urgent in the sense that Carson attended HS during the movie.

I see it with mixed emotions. I am happy Chris wants his movie to remain intact and doesn't comply to studio pressure. However, I also believe he may be one of those writers who cannot differentiate between unfounded and fair criticism?! LoS really needed a better editor and the pace wasn't always the best... and I believe that is partly Chris fault for probably refusing to change anything drastic, and as he has celebrity status, he most likely was most more powerful then the average novelist (also, many well established authors addressed how reluctant they were to change bits of their books, J.K. Rowling comes to mind). Don't get my wrong, I am happy that Chris doesn't produce another generic movie totally butchered by studio bosses, but maybe some suggestions are not necessarily bad but actually rather good?!

A play sounds great and I hope it works out, but for most likely all non-LA/or NYC based fans it is actually very unfortunate and also sad as naturally I'd love to see him on the stage, but it would be impossible :( 
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Buenos 11/25/2013, 4:04 pm

Lottie2303 wrote:Chris mentioned once there is no time pressure, as his part of the movie doesn't have a set age. SBL was more urgent in the sense that Carson attended HS during the movie.

I see it with mixed emotions. I am happy Chris wants his movie to remain intact and doesn't comply to studio pressure. However, I also believe he may be one of those writers who cannot differentiate between unfounded and fair criticism?! LoS really needed a better editor and the pace wasn't always the best... and I believe that is partly Chris fault for probably refusing to change anything drastic, and as he has celebrity status, he most likely was most more powerful then the average novelist (also, many well established authors addressed how reluctant they were to change bits of their books, J.K. Rowling comes to mind). Don't get my wrong, I am happy that Chris doesn't produce another generic movie totally butchered by studio bosses, but maybe some suggestions are not necessarily bad but actually rather good?!

A play sounds great and I hope it works out, but for most likely all non-LA/or NYC based fans it is actually very unfortunate and also sad as naturally I'd love to see him on the stage, but it would be impossible :( 
I agree that is the eternal dilemma of any project near and dear to you, how much do you change it?   After all it is still a business in movies to make a profit and cater to your audience.  I do think that SBL was exceptional in that at the age of 21 Chris got a movie made which , good or bad, one would surmise was his "vision." Many even  big name actors go through entire   careers never getting that opportunity.  Behind the scenes, I'm sure there was advice/pressures/suggestions, etc, but we will never know.

However the pacing of a movie is also the responsibility of the director/editor as well as the writer.  I think Chris's  script onscreen was sometimes too self aware clever by half and the characters mouthing one liners was OK but considering he wrote the screenplay when he was 18 it doesn't surprise me it's not a masterpiece.  However I think his weaknesses as a screenwriter are simply that, like any other screenwriter, so I would be hard pressed to jump from that that he can't take criticism.  Hopefully he can improve on his weaknesses on his next screenplay.

The important thing is he got it made, which is incredible when you look at the odds.  Obviously the investors liked the script.  As to Chris not taking criticism, well to me the Disney Project  (The witch tv series) that he wrote the pilot was rejected on some level, so I think Chris will have to accept (and does) criticism from others, all actors do if they want to survive.  I just don't see how the perceived weaknesses of "SBL" translates to Chris cannot distinguish between unfounded and fair criticism. Since we don't know what suggestions/criticisms he received while making SBL , it's hard to see how he reacted.  I do recall reading some wanted it to have more teenage sex in the movie. We do know they had a very short window of  time to make the movie, something like 17 days, so scripts revisions at that point with a limited budget probably were not really feasible.  The script as it was was filmed and it came out how it did with the directing and editing.  It made from all accounts a tidy profit so I think it was win/win for Chris.  

The path so far of "asylum movie" is quite frankly, more realistic.  "SBL" was always to me some freaky occurrence/minor miracle that Chris got a movie made so quickly off the blocks.  It could have spoiled him as to how movies are made, who knows?
Buenos
Buenos
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Lottie2303 11/25/2013, 4:15 pm

^ Actually, I was more thinking along the lines of "The Land of Stories" which in my opinion had some flaws in execution. I personally thought SBL was a really great coming-of-age story that for once represented unappreciated and ignored kids in HW, dealing with problems we usually do not see in movies and sending a very sincere but also devastating message to the audience. Overall, especially with Chris age and experience, I thought it was an amazing first movie project that really succeeded and differentiate itself from all those other generic coming-of-age movies that are yearly produced. It had some flaws - but I really could't care less about those.

So, I am happy Chris stuck to his guns and I totally support him for not changing the script just to please some executives. I just wanted to add the point that not all suggestions by studios have to be automatically bad. How much of an ego Chris has, we never know. I am certain he is really protective of his projects and rather puts them off for a while then to change its core.

Overall, I am a bit sad and it is not happening soon, as I really looked forward to this project. But as I said in my first post, Chris mentioned once his characters doesn't have that many limitaions. He could probably still play this character in five years and no one would know better neutre
Lottie2303
Lottie2303
Inner Grandma
Inner Grandma

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 3 Previous  1, 2, 3  Next